• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"Yes, Quin. Of course, I can. What would you like them to do and look like?" Kheire pulls out a notebook and enchanted quill. He needs to make his own puppets as well.

Val jumped a little and made a strange sound that sounded like a "heeEAY".
She ran her hand over her hair and directed her attention to Ren.
"Sorry, you scared me!" She said, but then a smile overcame her face and she matched her volume to his, "And of course I want to go exploring. What am I, a snail?"

The Veela then thought to herself that maybe snails did want to explore but simply couldn't, and felt bad for them. If they had wings like her, maybe they'd want to explore a lot!
Hey that's an idea.

"Ren, have you ever flown?"

"Hmmm." Quin thought for a moment. "Big misquotes..." Quin smileed with a small laugh.

Ren pondered.
"Once. I think. I wasn't paying much attention. All I know is I woke up one morning two hundred feet in the air naked and screaming..." he recounted. "So for all intents and purposes, I guess not."

Val laughed, "Would you like to fly again? I'm sure this will be more enjoyable though."

The brunette had gotten a quick glance at the Nekomata as she stalked into the kitchen, well it was just a cat, but it felt like Neeakomi. He picked up the black cat and placed it on a sofa, casting a fuzzy throw over its form. Miki sat next to the cat, seeing as everyone had chosen to crowd in the kitchen.

Kheire gently, carefully, apprehensively put the finishing touches on the sixth, and final, mosquito-based puppet for Quin, the syringe sliding into place and be locked into a tube which feeds into a tank in the main body that can either hold something to be injected or something pulled from an outside source in battle, such as the blood of his enemies. While each of them have the same design, they are arranged in pairs, with two having a healing potion, two having poison for paralysis, and two being empty and ready for their fill of blood. Kheire bows his head and lets out a dark chuckle, "Yes... Yeeesss... They live! They LIVE! MUAHAHAHAHAAA!" He then blushed and lifted the mosquitoes with his vines to carry them to Quin, hoping no one saw his outburst. He really gets into it when finishing a new project, and sometimes cannot contain his joy.

Quin sees all 6 of them and smiles. "They're the best!!" Quin chuckles to himself "Thank you!!" Quin grins and takes all six of them. "Do I owe you anything?"

"Of course not. I am glad to get the practice in. I am creating a couple puppets of my own, and making them is far different than making guns. Just think of it as a gift." Kheire smiles up at him and returns to his room to continue working on designing puppets of his own.

Ren had agreed quite heartily to the endeavour at first.
It had been quite an exciting idea when Valentina had suggested it.
On the other hand...
"V-Val...?" he yelled over the howling of the wind. "You're up really, really high... It's a bit hard to breathe..."
Val looks at his face, albeit with difficulty, and saw discomfort. She flew closer to the treeline after that.
"Sorry I forgot that not everyone has avian internal organs."
"I-it's fine!" he reassured her. "I'm just not used to this. Apart from... you know... giant turkey vultures. Oh, right! I heard from someone there are caves around the area here with alignments."
"Oh? We should go to one!" Valentina exclaimed.
"I was thinking the same thing, but... Do you think they're safe?" he wondered, before cutting off his train of thought with an excitable observation. "Look, look! There's one!"
"I'm sure we can handle whatever they throw at us." She says, gliding down to the cave.

Ren waited until she had landed before attempting to dismount.
"Well..." he muttered. "It doesn't look too dangerous... It should be fine if it's this near the academy, right?"
He squinted as he looked into the interior.
"It's a little dark, though."
He racked his brains for a moment, before clapping his hands together enthusiastically.
"Aha!" he smiled, inspired. "Please hold still for just a moment, Val..."
He cupped his hands, forming a mote of bright light in them, and throwing it at Valentina.
The orb quickly shifting its direction rather subtly, flying over her shoulder and spiralling around her head before coming to a halt above her.
"There we are!" he declared proudly.
"Ooooh! That's lovely." Val smile warmly at the ball of light.
"It should follow you wherever you go, if I've made it properly," he explained, clearly very pleased with himself. "You... might be able to direct it? Maybe? It's not easy to make light do what you want..."
"Fire is a kind of light isn't it?"
"Well... Sort of... I've found it works more like air than light does, though, so it's a lot easier. Light is safer for things like this, though."
"Yes, that makes sense." She said, extingushing the small fire ball she had grown in her hand, "How do you control light?"
Ren turned and headed into the mouth of the cave, looking over his shoulder and gesturing for her to follow. "Well, light is a bit more like a mix of sand and water. ...Maybe more like a cross between sand and water, with a bit of air in there too. It likes to spread out in every direction it can, so it takes a lot of focus to keep it in one place. That's why my beams are still bright," he explained. "If I was good enough at keeping my focus, you wouldn't be able to see them at all. I don't think it's possible to have that amount of control with just Exinessence, though..."
"Hm, maybe you should meditate." She half laughs.
"I tried that, but it's so boring," he complained. "There's nothing to do... You just sit there with your eyes closed for as long as you can!"
The small giggles were now full on laughter, "Ren, dear little Ren, I think it's focusing your thoughts, not just sitting with your eyes closed. Then again," Val goes on, "I'm not very good at that myself."
Ren dwelled on this for a moment, seeming utterly perplexed.
"But what do you focus on?" he wondered. The first thing that came to mind, naturally, was food, but he quickly discarded that idea as having little spiritual value.
She turned and looked intensely into his eyes, waiting a beat before saying "I have no idea."
"Mouuuu... Spiritual stuff is hard," he grumbled. "It's supposed to be really important, but I've gotten by without it. Sort of."
There was a small mumble from his general direction, something about giant turkey vultures.
Val was now burning with curiosity but didn't get to press the subject because there was some strange sounds up ahead. They had walked pretty far into the cave during their discussion, and it was now time to be on alert.
"Shhh... Something is over there."
Ren stopped in his path, deadly silent.
"You're right," he nodded. His first reaction was to check for any cracks in the walls. The last thing they needed was to blow themselves up with fire magic.
"Don't attack it for now... Do you have any way of fighting without your fireballs or your enraged form?" he inquired.
Val nodded, and pulled her throwing knives out of her jacket. "I also have a dagger just in case." She had forgotten the rifle Kheire gave her though. This adventure was kinda spontaneous.
Ren nodded slowly. That was their best bet for now. His own magic used heat to deal damage, so that was a no-go when there was a good chance of being surrounded by gas vents.
"Stay where you are a moment," he whispered. He wasn't sure what kind of creatures they would find here, but he did have a method for drawing out mystery beasts.
"Before I do this... May I have your hand for a moment?" he requested, extending his own while not taking his eyes off the dark ahead.
She nods and takes his hand in hers.
Ren fed a flow of power into her body, carrying his feelings and faith to her.
"Okay, that should make you a lot stronger," he informed her. "How are you feeling?"
She shakes her head for a moment, "Very... refreshed?"
He smiled. "That's a good sign."
Kneeling for a moment, he picked a pebble up from the ground and prepared to throw it.
"Okay... Ready?"
"Ready."
"Three... Two..."
He tossed the rock at the wall of the cavern so it bounced of with a clatter and fell into the darkness of the cave, shortly followed by throwing an orb of light onto the ceiling above where it had fallen, illuminating their surroundings.

Three pairs of eyes turned to the pair simultaneously, giving them a sharp, deathly stare.
Ren's eyes widened. He was expecting perhaps a single salamander or something like that.
This was not what he had bargained for.
With an unholy screech, the triad of demon-sprites floated into the air, a flame in each hand.
"W-well, at least we have some good news...!" the boy stuttered.
"Uh- and what is that, exactly?" Valentina says, readying herself for a fight.
"We can definitely use fire in here without exploding."
"Oh good."
The three began attacking a moment later, and Val's wings sprout and cover the both of them, protecting them but damaging the wings. They turn into ash and fall on the ground.
"Uh so it might be a little while before I can generate those again." There was not much flying to be done in a cave, though, so she wasn't too worried.
"It's okay," he assured her. "Don't push yourself too hard, Val."
He stepped forward himself, absorbing the next wave of fireballs in a wall of white flame.
The shield was almost entirely unscratched from the onslaught, and then was thrown forward towards their assailants.
Once it finally parted, they had vanished.
Ren looked around warily. He wasn't completely sure if they were dead or not, but he didn't want to take any chances.
"Hm, do you think there's more?" Val asks, flexing her upper back where it hurt.
"Definitely. Imps usually have nests, I think. They like wide, open spaces, though... We should be safe for the moment," he explained, manuevering behind Valentina's back and placing his hands on her wound. "How does this feel?"
She laughs, "Kinda tingly. Almost tickle-y."
He blinked in surprise. "Really? It looked like it hurt a lot when it happened..."
"Ah don't worry, wounds from my wings heal quickly. It only hurt for a little bit."
"That's good," he sighed, relieved. "Try not to put yourself in danger. I was worried there."
"Don't worry about me. I'm tough." She grinned, putting her arms in a flexing position.
"Even if you say that..." he mumbled. "Come on. I heard imps like to hoard. I've never seen a nest full of live ones though, so I don't know what we'll find... It might be something cool."
"Hm, I do enjoy cool things." Val pondered, kicking a rock, "It could be fairly dangerous though. Still, when has that ever stopped us."
Ren gave a sunny smile at the statement. "It can't be super dangerous. It wouldn't be that close to the Academy if it was," he pointed out. "...Hey, Val? I-it wouldn't be that close to the Academy if it was, right?"
"...Of course not!" She said, although she wasn't sure herself.
Somehow, their joint uncertainty didn't help the atmosphere in the least.

Fortunately, Ren's excitement quickly overwrote his apprehensiveness, and he was soon walking down the caverns with a spring in his step.
"This is pretty small as caves go..." he observed brightly as he eyed a particularly large stalagmite.
Valentina laughed nervously, "Uh, you're right. I kinda wish it was just a little bit bigger though."
"Really?" he said. "I quite like tight spaces. They're cozy."
"I greatly prefer fighting from above."
"Well, that's true," he admitted. "Hallways are good for me. I only need to worry about two directions."
"When I'm flying its harder for them to hit me, but easier for me to hit them. It just feels more comfortable." She is trying to not sound like a giant wimp.
"It must be great just being able to fly whenever you want," said Ren wistfully. "I wish I could do it."
"Well, lucky for you, you have an awesome friend that CAN fly so just ask and I'll fly you anywhere you want." She pauses and laughs a little to herself, "I won't fly where you can't breathe though."
Ren's eyes practically sparkled at the thought. "Really? You mean it? Really really?"
"Really really."
"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Ren had to restrain himself from jumping up and down with delight. Last time he did that in a cave, he had caused a rock slide. It was not fun. "Thank you!"
"You're welcome!!" She walks a little further, "Now where are these cool things?"
Considering the options for a moment, he came to a conclusion. "They must be deeper in the cave. I didn't see any other routes the imps could have fled too, so we only have one way."
Which obviously means it's almost definitely a trap, he noted mentally.
"Welp I guess we're going that way."
"Yeah," he nodded. "Get ready. Imps are really crafty."
"Alright." She walks further in, walking as quietly as possible, which is not hard when you're half a super light bird monster.
Ren took a couple of paces more before stopping, pointing to the mouth of the tunnel. A faint scarlet glow bled through from the mouth, illuminating their surroundings just a little.
"How fast are you?" he asked, almost silent.
"Fairly quick, why?"
"We need to be ready to dodge the moment we see anything move. Or better yet," he corrected himself, "the moment we step in there. A repeat of our last run-in with these things would be pretty bad."
Val nods, putting her knives more comfortably in her hands where she could attack quickly and move.
Ren took a deep breath.
Prepared, he took a single step.
That step quickly became a leap and he jumped right into the cavern, and spun, preparing to dodge.
Nothing came.
"...That's weird," he muttered.
All of a sudden a flurry of imps appeared and surrounded him.
"Uh-oh."
Quickly, he sent a shower of white beams of light in all directions.
Where they did not strike imps, they struck the cavern walls, searing them until they were glass, burning everything around him with heat that the white flames he had used before could not hope to match in a century.
Of course, there was no way that firing at random would simply annihilate all of his opponents at once.
The majority of them, however, were quickly sent fleeing from the lights as they realised how outclassed they were, and fear and panic began to set in before they doubtlessly reconvened.
"V-Val! Um...! P-please help!"
Val's eyes squinted and she transformed, ran, and jumped to fly to his aid, but her wings weren't fully healed yet, and she fell on her face. The pain was ignored, though, and she reached up and casted a fireball at an imp that had recovered enough to try to get close to Ren.
The boy blinked in surprise as the demon sprawled across the ground besides him.
"...Good spot," he smiled gratefully. "I think we've mostly driven them out now."
He looked around the cavern, examining the more intact bodies ponderously.
"I wonder..." he said quietly, pulling a perplexed face.
By this time, Val had transformed back to normal and was rubbing her face. Luckily, feathers had helped stop any scraping, but there was a nice bruise on her cheek and her nose was swollen.
"What are you wondering?"
"O-oh, nothing," he stammered. "I just thought maybe Kheire could show me a few things with these... Um..."
He wandered up to one of the bodies, placing his hand over it and closing his eyes, breathing deeply.
"Let's take them back to him, then." Her voice was a little funny because of her swollen nose.
"We don't need to weigh ourselves down," he assured her, brandishing a small orange core.
His pleased expression flashed with a hint of concern for a moment, and he slowly approached her, his fingers beginning to faintly glow. "Hey, Val?"
"Hm?"
He smiled brightly, reaching out and tapping her nose. "Boop."
With a slight whisper, the light seeped from his fingers and into her wound, healing the bruise over the course of a few seconds.
"Oh, wow! Thanks!" She said, hugging him, "That was very nice of you."
His beaming face was coloured with the subtle glow of a blush. "W-well, you were hurt, so it's only natural, right?"
"Ah, I suppose. Doesn't change the fact that I appreciate it."
Ren meekly shifted in place for a few moments, before clearing his throat.
"A-a-anyway, um, if it's alright, can I just have a moment to collect all these cores? Y-you might be able to find some things they've hoarded in the nests too."
"Alright. Take your time -----." She walked away to try to find some cool stuff as Ren got to work extracting the cores of the more intact imps.

Val returned with potions in her arms, smiling, "Look, Ren, potions."
Ren had to actively restrain himself from asking to try them. These were potions. They were not sauces. They were not spices. They could have very well have been lethal with the tiniest dose. They were not for food.
"Wow, there's loads! Do you need a hand carrying them?" he asked, offering his satchel to her.
"Yes, thank you that'd be nice." She put them all on the cave floor though, "First I'm going to try to figure out what they are."
She pointed to each one of them, "That one is a health potion, that one is another health potion, that one is a strength potion, that one is a potion that lets you climb walls, that one is a gas potion." Val picked up the last one, "Not sure about this one, though."
Ren watched with wonder as she went through each one. With her speed and skill in identifying them, he was reminded more than a little of Kheire's teaching.
"You're really smart," he commented. "I'm surprised at how familiar you are with all of these."
Val blushed, and stammered "It's not really anything special. Uhm, would you like to choose which ones you carry? I can only, hands-free, carry two."
He pondered for a moment or two before answering. "Well, there's no point keeping the mystery bottle on-hand. We can ask Kheire to look at it later. You're a good climber, so you should probably keep the sticky potion, and a health potion. Just to be safe," he concluded.
"Good thinking!" She took the two and tucked them into her belt, and helped Ren put the rest in his satchel.
When they were done, he fastened it carefully and nodded, having placed the cores in there a few moments prior.
"Alright. Are we ready to move on?" he asked.
"I believe so." Val said, standing up and brushing herself off.
"Okay, let's go!" he declared, marching enthusiastically towards another tunnel.
Val followed, laughing to herself at the enthusiasm. Does this child know no fear?

"Hey, Val," he said. "Have you ever been through a cave like this before?"
"Hm, no, not really. I've always kind of avoided them." She said.
He shrugged. "I can see why, I guess. I was just wondering because you seemed a bit on edge."
"I guess I am a little on edge. You seem almost relaxed though. Have you ever been through one?"
"Not one quite like this," he admitted. "I did go through a djinn's lair before though. That was scary. Never ever ever go looking for djinns."
Val mock-saluted, "Aye, captain!"
Ren stifled a giggle at the gesture, before sighing. "Oh. I wonder how the Deff 'Eads are doing? They'd probably like this place."
"Who are they?"
"They're a jungle tribe of trolls I met on my way to the desert where I met Kheire. I stayed with them for a few weeks. They like fighting. Like, a lot. So they'd probably love it here."
"They weren't aggressive towards you?"
"They were really, really aggressive. You wouldn't believe how huge and angry they are. You know, they even use teeth for money. They knock each other's teeth out by punching them and then spending them on things. It's really weird," he said.
"How did you manage to recieve their hospitality?" Valentina D'maris was completely baffled by her friend.
He grinned. "You'll like it. Repeat after me," he said, taking a deep breath. "Ahem... Waaarrgh!"
He let out an ear-splitting yell that echoed through the entire cave, almost inhuman in volume.
Valentina was wide-eyed and in shock. What.
"You try it!" he told her.
"War?" She said, confused.
"No, no. 'Waaarrgh'. You have to mean it."
"Waaargh."
"Yell it!"
"Waaaaarrrrgh!"
"That's it! If you ever run into trolls with guns in the jungle, just yell that as loud as you can and they'll be like family," he explained. "Waaarrgh is the most important thing to them, so it doesn't matter if you're a troll or not. If you have waaarrgh, you're one of them."
"How... lovely? I guess it is kind of sweet in a strange way." Although, Val was wondering how trolls got guns.
"It's nicer than it sounds," he assured her. "They're the ones who taught me to fight. At least, at first. I learned more as I went along, but they taught me the important stuff. Like the more dakka, the better."
"Allllrrriiighty then. I guess that must've been nice."
"It was," he smiled. "We should all go see them one day."
He tensed a little, apparently hesitant to take his next step all of a sudden.
"We're almost there," he whispered.
Valentina frowned, "Hey, we'll be fine. We're tough."
He nodded. "Yeah, you're right. I might need to use that though."
"What do you mean, Ren?"
"You know. That thing I can do where I boost myself. I don't know what it's called," he admitted.
"Ah." Val mumbled, getting very quiet. The atmosphere was uneasy. While the previous parts of the cave had been a little stressful, something was... eerie in this section.
Ren took a deep breath.
The firing hammers fell one by one.
His body was surrounded in a blue-white glow as he channelled his Exin through himself.
"Okay, I'm ready."
Val could feel that her wings weren't healed yet and sighed. "I guess I'm as ready as I can be."
"Alright. Let's go." Ren stepped into the second cavern, at first expecting either a lot of imps, or something far more numerous.
Instead, their opponents numbered only one.
"Holy shit we're going to die."

The manticore stepped out of the shadows to roar, the volume of it shaking the cavern walls as its wings extended and tail shot forth in a piercing attack.
The tail hits Val, and she's thrown backwards. She could feel the bruised, maybe broken, ribs. She hoped it was just bruised.
Ren darted around to the side, firing off five blasts of light at the hulking beast as he did.
Val used the sticky potion, and crawled into a dark corner where she hoped the monster couldn't see her. She blew the feathers off of her forehead where they had popped out instinctively.
The hulking beast shook off the bright lasers, leaving a few small burns. It turned in Ren's direction and roared, its tail launching five full powered blast darts, as it knew that two on one weren't favorable odds.
Panicking, Ren took one of the marbles Kheire had given him in each hand, throwing them to the ground.
In the same instant, two shields were erected and annihilated simultaneously by the flames.
That was two.
He didn't have anything left for the rest.
He was sprawled across the cavern floor, bloodied and bruised, his clothing alight and his skin covered in burns.
"Dammit..." he rasped.
He was amazed that he had even survived that.
Playing dead, he subtly rooted through his satchel for the health potion he was carrying.
It seemed kind of unfair to steal Val's but she would probably get hurt too if he didn't.
He uncorked the bottle and drank from it, trying to make as little movement as possible to deter the manticore from deciding that he should probably be checked on.
Valentina couldn't hold back anymore, and she transformed. Her wings were still broken. However, she could also use some awesome fireballs now, so obviously she did. Not just any fireballs either, some giant ones like the ones she had used against Vivi what felt like so long ago.
The manticore was enraged that its own element was used against it, taking the hit and doing its best to shake it off as it takes to the skies, its tail launching another set of full powered darts at Val this time.
And that was it for Valentina. Her body disapeared in a flash of light.
While the manticore was distracted with Val, Ren laid out five marbles on the ground in front of him, lightly standing on them to invoke them at a moment's notice.
As he did so, he charged a frankly unreasonable amount of power, firing five much more powerful beams at the beast.
The manticore is knocked out of the sky from behind, rolling to try and recover. It turns to face Ren and throws forward a third set of blast darts, its hulking body huffing and puffing from exhaustion and injury.
Ren was already prepared for that trick. Pushing down on the marbles beneath his feet, he invoked them.
One!
The barrage struck what would have been a vital area, intercepted by a shield that was vaporised instantly.
Two!
The second was blocked just in time, and the third was close behind it.
Ren wasn't letting that happen.
Three!
There was no way he was losing after Val had put in that much effort.
Four!
He could still do this.
Fi--!
Too slow.
The blast knocked him flying, burning away skin until a layer of white flame took its place.
He clawed at the ground as he tumbled across it, getting his bearings just fast enough to...!
Six.
He released five more blasts at the monster.
He had to hit.
Otherwise, he was dead.

It was a few hours later in the infirmary that Val got her first visitor.
Ren pulled back the curtain, flushing mostly from guilt.
Awkwardly, he held out the core he had extracted from the manticore's body, presenting it to her.
"I-I brought you this..." he mumbled. "...T-to say th-thank you... and... I'm sorry!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Val was just waking up, and she groaned, holding her head. "Oh, hey Ren. I take it we won?" She took the core from him.

"What are you apologizing for?"

"You're hurt because I suggested this..." he whimpered. "I didn't think it would be so dangerous... I couldn't have done it without you! I'm really sorry I dragged you along with me to do this!"
He shuffled on the spot. "Um... If you take that to Kheire when you're better, I'm sure he'll extract the Exin foundations for you if you ask, so you'll be able to use those exploding darts that manticore used. It's the least I can do for you after today."

"Ren, come here." She opened her arms for a hug, "I'm okay. I just feel a little achy."

Kheire slowly emerged from his room, piles of mechanical looking shapes seen behind him through his doorway. He is covered in soot, and in his hands are his pets' cores. He needs to find cores to power his puppets and give his pets their first abilities. He thought to himself, "Why not hit two birds with one stone and do both simultaneously?" So, he sets off to the academy building to teleport to his first dungeon to get Everless's first ability.

Ren barely gave her a moment to even register his reaction, leaping up and squeezing desperately as if she would disappear if he let go.

This is all your fault.
He couldn't shake that feeling.
But he couldn't bear to voice it.
It simply was there, fuelling restrained tears as he wrapped himself around the one he'd hurt.

Unless there's no choice... Unless it's life or death... I'm not going to fight anymore.

Val was wondering what was wrong. He seemed very upset, and she didn't know what to do. So she did what she did to Sammy when he got upset. She just kind of petted his head and said soothing things in a language he probably didn't understand.

Kheire's eyes burn with passion as he heads straight to the academy building, looking like a man possessed. He does not notice the new student he walks past, Azzurra.

Azzurra, having looked around some more, found another student heading to a building.She had overheard several conversations about the school and its many different properties, including something about dungeons. Interested, but not knowing where to go or look, she followed after the student in the hopes of discovering where these mysterious dungeons were.

"Excuse me!" She called out, "Can you tell me about these dungeons? I've heard about them but don't know where they are." She finished sheepishly as she rubbed an aching ear.

Kheire stopped in his tracks, snapping out of his focus as he hears someone call for him. He turns on his heel to face the other student, "Hello, I would be happy to explain the dungeons to you. I could even guide you to one if you would like. I just so happened to be on the way to one myself."

" Could you? I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with everything yet but the dungeons sound very...interesting." Azzurra murmurred, averting her gaze briefly. "I don't want to keep you too long if you are heading to one." Perhaps she could tag along with him? It wasn't likely but it wouldn't hurt to ask after getting me information.

"Come with me. We can walk and talk. Then you can join me in adventuring into a dungeon or few of my own, if you would like. After, of course, you hear my explanation." Kheire smiles and turns back around, heading towards the academy building at a far more sedate pace.

Azzurra smiles and nods and quickly follows after Kheire. "I'm Azzurra by the way, and this blue feline is Sappira."

Kheire nods at Sappira, "She is beautiful. I am sure you take good care of her. It is a pleasure to meet both of you. Now, about the dungeons. They are not real dungeons, as we are not strong enough for those yet, but more like artificial simulation dungeons, in which there are minor enemies and a boss, as well as a little loot to find. Each one is tailored to a specific alignment and is restocked periodically. Any questions?"

Sappira preens at the compliment and gives Kheire a nod in greeting. Azzurra listens to the explanation about the dungeons and soon focuses on one word. Loot. Young though she may be, she was still a thief at heart. Enemies and such were to be expected, but how difficult was the dungeon? "How dangerous are these dungeons?" She asked.

"Not too dangerous, considering you cannot die in them.You can, however, get heavily injured. The thing about these dungeons is that they have no set difficulty. If you are incapacitated you will be teleported to the infirmary and will stay for the next twenty-four hours for treatment." Kheire does his best to explain in full detail, as he is meant to be a role model for the other students. It is why he was given the role of dorm advisor.

Azzurra wrinkled her nose at the words 'heavily injured', that wasn't fun in her books, but perhaps the risks were worth the possibilities of dire harm? She couldn't die, so that was a plus, and maybe she could get a better idea of what changes were occuring within her...it beared thinking. She went over what she was told and decided to ask about the loot. "What type of loot are we talking about?" Not that she was greedy or anything, but, well, she couldn't help it.

"All kinds of things, really. You can find potions, armor, weapons, and more. You just have to look. Granted, most are heavily guarded, but there have been some interesting finds already. All I really need are cores and halophages. Feel free to grab anything you see that catches your eye." Kheire was happy to see someone so enthusiastic about what the school had to offer, and did not mind sharing the spoils of war.

"Cores? Halophages? What're those, and what are they used for?" She asked, filing away the information about the loot and how she could help herself to it. There was, she was finding out, a lot that she was unaware of and she could only hope that she learned it fast or that her ignorance wouldn't kill her.

"Well, cores and halophages are... similar to shortcuts. Cores are the crystallised point of focus for monsters to use magic. Halophages are the spiritual "generators" of these magical abilities, creating the Exin needed to power them. We use these to gain the abilities of the monsters we got them from, and in the case of cores, strengthen the ones we have. Halophages can only be absorbed by pets, spirits, and martial artists." Kheire explained as they neared the academy building, happy to prepare his teammate as much as possible before their dungeon run. "Cores can even be used to power magical items. If you ever want to use a monster's skill or get a magical item, bring me some cores."

Azzurra's eyes lit up at the mention of magic items, she needed a decent long ranged weapon, so perhaps she could find something to do that with. "So cores and halophages are fairly important then. Got it." She mused over what she learned to think about how to apply it in the future. "What type of dungeon are you going to do?" She asked deciding that she had no more questions to ask at the moment. It did sound like she needed to do several of these dungeons if she wanted to keep up with the others.

"I was planning to do six dungeons, at least, in as quick succesion as possible. First and foremost, I have decided to do air. After that... Who knows? All I ask is that the bosses' halophages be given to my pets. We could do another dungeon if you would like to get a good halophage for Sappira here. That reminds me, I have not introduced you to my pets yet. I suppose it can wait, unless you really want to meet them." Kheire turns, facing Azzurra to see her response.

"It's your dungeon run, not mine, that means you get first pick of whatever is found!" Azzurra was mildly put out that it was implied that she would even think to lay claim to another's hard earned spoils. "Can you really do six dungeons in a row? Isn't that a bit much?" She would have to stop talking soon, the headache she was getting was starting to really bother her, but there was still questions to answer and someone to talk to. Kheire mentioned his pets and Azzurra gave the matter some thought before shaking her head, "I wouldn't mind meeting them, but it doesn't have to be now."

"Well, while it is true that six is more than anyone in our generation has done in succession before, I believe we can do it. If you decide you have had enough, tell me. I don't mind soloing some. I half expected to have to solo all of them. My pets don't have alignments that match up with our classmates, for the most part. I agree, now is not the time for introductions. If something happens and we end up in trouble, I may bring in some help. That reminds me, would you like some potions? They can be quite useful in case we need to recover or need an extra boost." Kheire offered her a few glass vials of colored liquids as they stepped into the academy building.

Azzurra weighed the pros and cons of doing six of the dungeons, she was fairly sure she could do a few of them, but she wasn't so sure she could do all six. "But this would be a good place to start and see how well you do." Sappira spoke, giving Azzurra permission to go ahead and do them all. "I wouldn't mind trying to do all of them with you, it will give me a good idea of what I need to work on." She concluded with a firm nod. The offered vials were eyed warily but again she was prompted to take them by Sappira. "Potions will come in handy, if you want to make it far." "I guess I ought to have some potions." She spoke as she took the offered bottles.

"I am glad to hear that. I worked hard on these potions, but I couldn't carry them all myself anyway. All are useful, and I labelled them so you know what they are for. Now, through this doorway is the dungeon. Are you ready?" Kheire's expression was solemn as he stood next to her in front of the doorway.

She took stock of her weapons and the potions she was given, the only problem she could see was her hearing. Ah well, she could deal with that later. Azzurra took a quick glance around Academy then eyed the doorway Kheire said would take them through the dungeon. Finally she shrugged and said "I'm as ready as I'm going to be."

"Alright then, let's get going!" Kheire grinned and grabbed her hand, rushing through the doorway that dumped them onto a plateau high up in the air. He took a deep breath and took in his surroundings. There seemed to be spires here and there, atop which were nests. He supposed that was where monsters and loot was, and the tallest would be where the boss is.

Azzura started a little when her hand was grabbed, but her surprise did not last long as she was tugged throught the doorway. She blinked and looked around with wonder, one moment she was in the academy and the next, she was on a plateau in the mountains. If this was the 'dungeon' it sure didn't look like what she had imagined. She too took note of the different spires and nests. "We heading up there? Or waiting for the monsters to come to us?" She asked, lightly tugging her hand free to unstrap her glaive from her back in case of a surprise attack.

Just as she said that, a group of four birdlike monsters cawed in the distance, coming for them at breakneck speeds. Kheire unwound his bandages and let loose a few projectiles from his runic tattoos, hitting all of them but not with much force. They dispersed, circling in the sky and cawing from above. "Never assume you are safe in a dungeon. Do you want to go straight for the boss or try and raid one of the other nests?" Kheire answered quickly, watching the birds. "We can leave more quickly and be more prepared if we go straight for the boss, but there is a chance the birds will attack then or after. If we go for the birds first, we will be less prepared for the boss."

She flinched and turned at the sound of the avian creatures, her glaive coming up in preparation to attack or defend as needed. However Kheire got to the monsters first and his attack forced the monsters to retreat a bit. The space gained gave the two of them time to make a plan of action. She sniffed somewhat disdainfully at the suggestion that she assumed safety but held back any retorts she might have made. "I've always thought it better to not leave enemies at your back, but you are right, if we cleared out the minor mobs, we might be less prepared to take on the boss. I guess we need to be extra careful if we clear out the mobs first and only use our more draining attacks if its absolutely necessary."
Sappira eyed the creatures thoughtfully but ultimately turned her attention away from them.

"I think we can make it. We are both over twice as fast as those avian menaces, and if we keep to the shadows of the nests, we could definitely make it to the boss nest without being noticed. What do you think? Should we go for it?" Kheire turned to Azzurra with a serious expression.

Azzurra gave the birds a wary glance then flicked her gaze to where the boss was estimated to be. The route would be dangerous, but it was possible. She shrugged and nodded, " Sure, let's go for it. You have more experience with this than I do."

"Alright then. Let's go." Kheire rushes for the boss's lair, sticking to the shadows and using matter surfing to keep from making any sounds. He is full of determination. Glancing back, he makes sure to keep pace with you so as not to leave you behind.

Azzurra readies herself and darts after Kheire, keeping her steps soft and staying in the shadows cast by the nearby spires. Sappira keeps up easily with no trouble. Azzurra spares a glance up to check on the birds but otherwise tries to pay attention to Kheire and the end goal.

After a short bout of sneaking and dashing from place to place, they eventually reached their goal of the boss's lair. Kheire picked up Azzurra and Sappira with his bandages and rose to the top with his matter surfing. Upon arriving in the center of the nest, Kheire set her and her pet down. "Wanna look around? Looks like the boss isn't here yet, and boss fight areas usually have loot." Kheire asked, hoping she was not too disturbed by his carrying her and her pet.

Azzurra stiffened with surprise at the manhandling and quick flight but managed to keep her reactions in check. The last thing she wanted was to fall, even if Sappira said she'd survive it with minor injuries. Sappira was still and statue like, but on the whole, did not enjoy being picked up and carried without warning. Both of them shook off their agitation, Azzurra staying near Kheire while Sappira went to explore a bit. "Sure, I don't mind looking around, maybe we'll find something good!" Azzura replied softly before she tentatively moved off to explore the nest area. She still kept alert for any danger though, it wouldn't do to be surprised.

Kheire assists in the search, digging through the nest and junk in it to happen upon a chest of sorts. He calls out, "Azzurra! Sappira! I believe I may have found what we are looking for!" He pulls it free of the nest and sets it down in the open for them to see. He did offer the loot to Azzurra, so he sees no reason to open it himself.

The loud call caught her attention so Azzurra hurried over to see what Kheire had found. The box looked relatively plain and did not look like it was trapped, but Azzurra was careful all the same as she opened it. Inside the chest was something that looked like a pair of weapons, each one having a grey stone/core implanted in it. She scanned the items with keen eyes before deeming them safe and determining where to store them until she could figure out what they were. "Did you want these?" She asked Kheire, checking to make sure she could claim the items he had found.

"Nah, I have plenty of weapons in the works. I prefer my own creations. It gives me a more intimate relation with them, I believe. Go ahead, they suit you better." Kheire smiled at her thoughtfulness and gestured for her to take them.

Azzurra nodded in reply and with a closer look, figured out how to equip them and then did so. At least they would be out of the way, though the weight was something to get used to.

As soon as she had adjusted to the new equipment, the sound of large wings was heard growing closer to their location. Kheire turned to Azzurra and whispered. "I think I have an idea. You are the new student who can cover herself in electricity, correct? I read the files of all the new students, since they are my responsibility and knowing the strengths of your allies could come in handy in the field. I was thinking we could paralyze the boss by... throwing you at it. I know it sounds stupid, but I can probably catch you if we miss."

Azzurra listened to Kheire's plan thoughtfully. It wasn't bad, as far as plans go, but it wasn't the best one either. Sure she could cover herself with electricity, but could she trust her companion enough to 'throw' her at the boss? She supposed she would have to, as there was the sound of wings nearing them. " I don't like it, I can't fly like you can...Can you really catch me if you miss?" She murmured eyeing Kheire's form and then nest surrounding them. "If we must, then we can try it your way. Just don't miss, please?"

"I make guns. I think I can throw a person at a huge bird thing. Trust me. Now, are you ready?" Kheire prepared his vines and bandage to lift her into the air and sling her at the beast. Just as he was ready, the flying monstrosity finally appeared in the air over the nest, a huge, pure white Pegasus. It whinnied in rage at seeing two intruders in its nest. Kheire looked a bit worried as he glanced between it and Azzurra. "I would recommend you make your decision quickly."

She perked up when he said guns, and was just about to question him on that, when the boss appeared in the skies. Now was not the time for idle thoughts, now was the time to apparently become a living missile. Just what she always wanted to be! Not. "Let's do this." She agreed to his plan and prepared herself to be thrown. Electricity began to build up, sparking here and there, though she kept it to a minimum.

Kheire wrapped his vines and bandages around her, slinging the electricity covered girl at the boss monster, hitting its flank directly. Kheire yelled up to her, "Grab on and hold tight! It will fall soon enough, and it will not be able to attack you easily!"

Azzurra withheld the urge to panic as her feet left the ground and concentrated more on holding onto the Pegasus with all her strength. Once she had a firm grip, she allowed the electricity to build up and cover her form. The Pegasus clearly wasn't happy with having her holding on to it and she made a mental note to not do this again.

Kheire watched as the Pegasus froze up in the air and plummeted to the nest. He lunged forward, his vines and bandages swiping Azzurra from the beast before she hit the ground. He pulled her to his side and set her down, "Told you I could catch you." He grinned.

Azzurra had a death grip on the flying horse, and if it hadn't been for the tugging of the vines and bandages, she probably would have went down with the pegasus. As it was, she was thankful that Kheire did indeed catch her before she hit the ground. She staggered slightly into his side before righting herself, "Thanks for the catch." she quipped before paying full attention to the fallen monster. "How long will it remain down you think?"

"Not long at all, I'd say. Which is why you should help me beat it while it is down." Kheire rushed forward and let loose a barrage of overcharged projectiles from his runic tattoos. "Give it one more good hit with Exin and that should be the finishing blow!"

As Kheire rushed forwards to land a blow on the pegasus, Azzurra took her queues from him and decided that now might be a good time to see what her new toy was capable of. With some concentration, the blades unfolded to run along her arms and then proceeded to spark with electricity. Having an idea, she brought the blades together and waited until she was unable to handle any more electricity, then with a mental push, caused the gathered energy to shoot towards the Pegasus. The resulting rush left her hair slightly frizzy and herself feeling a bit 'fried'.

Kheire leaned in close, cutting into the beast with nigh surgical precision to remove the core before sitting down and meditating with a core from one of his pets to give it its first ability. "This might take a while. Go on without me. Thanks for all your help."

Blinking at the somewhat anti-climatic finish, Azzurra merely nodded and said "Yes sir." For a dungeon, it hadn't been half bad she mused, deactivating the arm blades and allowing Sappira to jump in her arms. "Not bad, but you can do better." Sappira commented, flicking her tail at Kheire in a goodbye wave as the pair turned to leave the area.

Kheire returned to the school after hunting a few of the weaker monsters for cores. Maybe he could make something interesting? Who knows. What he does know, is that he is glad to have given Everless their first ability. Next up is... Tankh's first ability, so metal aligned dungeon.

Quin smiles, as he watches them fly. "I have a good feeling about this...." he looked at them all. "I need to name you all..." He sits in thought for a moment "hmmm..."

The brunette made sure to not disturb the Nekomata as he got off the couch to go into the forest he had seen on the edge of the academy. Miki enjoyed the wilderness, the feeling that something could kill him at a moment's notice made his blood sing. People are so ...tiring... He trudged through the forest's more dense areas, noting his hair had begun standing on end. Sounds were almost nonexistent this far in the woods, a golden light filtered in through the fallen leaves, letting the crunch of trodden foliage and the dark imprints of his soles welcome themselves into his sight.
The air was arid and hot, sweat clung to Miki's clothes and he was tempted to press the cold metal of his sword to his face to cool down. He moved forward regardless, but now his footsteps didn't snuff out the golden light, rather it flashed a brilliant blue at every shift.

It didn't matter though, for the leafy earth gave way with a loud snap and a large pitfall was formed at Miki's feet, illuminating his vision with the warm glow. The cavern was lined with shining gloriosa, waving their toxic leaves in a nonexistent breeze. He mourned his peace of mind, Master's luck has been rubbing off on me, hasn't it? Something in the pit whistled as if agreeing. The brunette did a quick scan of his surroundings and took a running plunge into the cavern, retreating to his sword form so he wouldn't need to worry about the irritating flowers.

Once he was sure the ground was there he changed forms, righting himself in the earthen tunnel, one that you would expect from a burrowing worm. That is, if said worm found a cavern of diamonds and was about the size of a small house. The walls were pristine as a dirt wall could get and it felt perfectly ordinary, but when Miki reached out to feel the surrounding Exin the scene was the strong scent of rot. He cut off swaths of the gemstones and stored them away, ignoring the feeling of how fucked he was.

Another whistle.

A single fennec fox stared at him with wide eyes before abruptly snapping its neck to the side revealing a multitude of red crystallites in its throat. The protrusions chimed softly with every 'breath' the fox took and besides being unnerving it didn't seem to be doing any harm, Miki didn't see any point in hurting it so he walked past it cautiously, not taking his eyes off it until he could no longer hear it.

With most of his focus on the humming he didn't even notice the surrounding crystals had turned a deep ruby until he tripped on something that gave a high pitched yelp. He summoned a blade right through it to keep it from making any more sounds, but when Miki turned around all he saw was a regular, inconspicuous, guinea pig. He used a summon, of all things, to kill a regular guinea pig. He would have been disappointed had the fallen animal's blood not formed a crimson spear that tried to skewer him.

Miki dodged and moved past it, keeping his guard up for any other seemingly inconspicuous creature. The path forked, with both paths leading into equally brightly lit and smelling just as putrid as the rest of the dungeon. He took the left path, stumbling on a loose rock as he did so. The rock jostled, revealing a cluster of spider eggs and a brown spider, a bit larger than a golf ball. The arachnid barred its front limbs and while it was pretty obvious it was protecting its young, it wasn't going to do much to the brunette while he crushed it underfoot. He already learned his lesson with the rodent from earlier, so by the time the crystalline spikes emerged he collected the eggs, thinking they would be useful to his dorm mates, and moved on.

Wasn't this supposed to be challenging? And with that traitorous thought Miki felt a powerful paw slam into his back, making him react by flipping over the assailant, a cheetah, and pinning it to the ground with a colorless crystal through its gut. It yipped in pain and whined as the shards dissipated, leaving a gaping hole in its body. Miki watched with pitiless eyes, catching the glints of hate in the creature's own, before he felt his feet get engulfed by the gems. A valiant effort to keep him there, not effective, but valiant. He broke out of the clear blue casings and moved on, not sparing a second thought to the beast.

When he reached the end of his chosen path he couldn't help but be slightly irritated. Getting to this point had taken up the best of half an hour, and it was still sweltering hot and stank of death. This along with the sinking feeling that something bad had happened to Ren, made reaching a solid dead end more irksome than it would normally be.

It couldn't be helped, Miki thought as he turned back, I couldn't have known this was pointless. Before his first step he could already see dozens of familiar glowing eyes staring back at him, as they all simultaneously bent to the side and lost their light. The cacophony that followed was ear-piercing and the shockwaves it left behind was enough to make the solid wall crumble into rubble, revealing a large cavern on the other side. The brunette lay on the ground, much like a turtle he had retreated into his weapon form to wait through the chaos.

Miki could get a general view of the land in his bladed form simply by 'looking' at the Exin and feeling the air for its potency, any area with a lower concentration had a strong magical beast. He had done this many times before, all of his dorm mates had a massive void in their area and he didn't need to have half a brain to know that three large voids was not a good sign.

The cavern echoed with the scuttling of rodents and the hiss of whatever was in the dark. Webs decorated every surface like a silvery film over the shining slabs of quartz. Three Grootslangs approached the lone blade-spirit-person, sniffing at it. They had never seen such an entity before, and were curious about it. Could they eat it? Would it hurt them? They did not know.

Miki stood still, watching as the three snake-like figures' eyes fell on him, waiting for them to react to his arrival.

The three Grootslangs, a family of sorts, left it up to the cleverest of the three, who decided it was best to throw it onto a spider's web by the least pointy part to see if it posed a threat.

Miki felt the scaly trunks of the beasts wrap around his hilt, and instinctually summoned crystal spikes onto the grip, panicked by the sudden touch. The beast recoiled in pain, the other two hissing in anger at seeing their ally hurt. They rushed over and slung the pointy object at the wall, the injured one grabbing an imploding guinea pig to throw.

The brunette shifted into his human form to somersault out of the way only to be winded by a trunk that slammed him against the walls. He planted his hands against the wall, letting jagged shards emerge from the earth at the three beasts whilst he caught his breath.

Two of them, one in the back and one in the front, reared up in pain from the crystals poking beneath their feet. All three let out a trumpet-like sound of rage and grabbed a guinea pig to throw in Miki's direction.

Miki saw how ineffective his magic was and changed plans, rushing at the Grootslangs, summoning his blade and batting aside the guinea pigs, planning to disable at least one of the monsters as he charged at them, striking all of them cleanly with his swing.

All three powered through the pain, the most fragile of the bunch striking first and landing a hard hit, the next one missing and the one after landing another hit.

Miki faulted and was knocked down by the final hit. He grit his teeth and summoned a single sword preparing launch it at the most injured one. His aim held true and it sunk into the creature's scaled flesh before shattering.

A gash was created from the slice made to the creature's hide, causing it to scream out in pain. It looked half dead, but was able to attempt to throw a guinea pig at him, along with the other two, only one of which hit.

Miki leapt over one of the approaching Grootslangs and charged at the farther beast, slicing through its gut. The attacked creature swung its tail at the young warrior, the other two charging him one after the other. The first, the closest who swung their tail, missed. The second hit, charging with its tusks toward the enemy and the third went way off their mark.

The Gheist zeroed in on the most injured one, prepared to get it out of the way with a slash through its neck, letting its head roll. The remaining two roared in grief going in for revenge with a hit from their tusks to his back. Both hit, one after the other, doing serious damage.

He let out a gasp of pain and summoned four swords to skewer his first assailant, nearly gutting it in the process. Blood flowed out of its open wounds left by the conjured blades; it was suffering from the blood loss of previous attacks already. It would die regardless of the outcome, and it knew this. Falling to the ground, the Grootslang decided that it wanted a graceful death.

The final member of the family of monsters decided to take a last stand, charging to meet Miki in a final clash of blades, or tusks in the Grootslang's case. The Ghiest sidestepped the approaching tusks and summoned a second sword to stab into the creature's face, driving it down to the hilt before it could shatter and producing five more copies that rained down upon the beast's back.

The beast's wails of agony echoed throughout the cave as it fell to the ground in pain. Slowly, it tried to lift itself back up again, only to fail and fall once more. Miki summoned four more blades, letting them hover above the creature just to watch it struggle as he forced the weapons down on the Grootslang waiting for its writhing to cease.
The beast all lay still and it was then, and only then, that Miki's adrenaline crashed. He probably shouldn't even be able to feel his fingers, which were so tightly wound on his chained counterpart that his knuckles were almost as pale as his Master. Judging from the blood and bile in the back of his throat something must have been bleeding inside him as well.

He coughed as he picked up the spoils of his battle. He absorbed two of the Halophages, leaving the final one behind for the beast's spirit. Carving open the monsters to pull out their Cores took longer than he thought it would, but he had attributed that to the fact his hands were shaking and how his vision swam. He gripped the mutilated head of his kill, and came out of the forest, most likely caked in blood that was mostly not his.

Considering how the other students didn't even look surprised this must have been a fairly common occurrence since no questions were asked as he was simply guided to the infirmary. He still clutched the severed head like a macabre stuffed animal. The head obscured his view so he couldn't see who was in the sickbay, but he could hear Val's voice.

"Miss Val?"