RESOURCE Frequently Asked Questions

• Before posting a thread, please take a look at the Iwaku FAQs to see if your question has already been answered there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie Questions

How do I join Iwaku?

Just click the "Log in or Sign up" link at the top right of the page and fill out the form. It's as easy as that!

What if someone else in my house wants to join, too?

That is totally okay! Just make sure we know that it is a family member or roommate so that you don't get flagged for multiple account use. This can be easily done by clicking your name at the upper right of the screen, selecting Account Details from the menu that pops up, scrolling down to the "Identities" section, and adding their Iwaku user name to the Household Members field.

Why can't I access the Redstar/Bluestar sections?

Go to your Account Details and click "Don't Hide Star Content," and "Yes" under "Do you participate in roleplays focused on sexual content?"

What are the "Posting Expectation" levels?

POSTING EXPECTATION LEVELS

You may have seen content tags on roleplay threads that mention a "posting expectation", or seen these levels mentioned in the info section of a roleplay's first post. But what exactly are "posting expectations"?

Put simply, this level system is a handy resource for Game Masters to use so that players will know exactly what sort of posts they're looking for, and for players to refer to in order to avoid games which will frustrate them and not suit their aptitude or playing style. The Staff encourages all GMs to use this labeling system for their roleplays. You can quote this list in your posts, tag your threads with the posting expectation level tags, and specify in your roleplay preferences under your account details on your profile. You can also link to the Resource version of this guide.

Levels are ordered from "easiest" to "hardest".

GIVE-NO-FUCKS

You can expect to post absolutely anything in this roleplay as long as it doesn't break forum-wide rules. If there are at least two letters or numbers that form a legible word (even if only in chat speak), it's fair game.

BEGINNER

This roleplay asks for minimal effort and is open to players who are just starting to learn. You should have a grasp of basic sentence structure and be prepared to actively contribute to the story. Chat speak is not appropriate here.

ELEMENTARY

Elementary-level roleplays are ideal for those who are still learning but are comfortable with roleplay fundamentals and etiquette. An understanding of simple character roles and loose adherence to a basic plot line is expected.

INTERMEDIATE

At this level, you should exhibit a distinct writing voice and style. All players must be familiar with common grammar and punctuation and write clearly legible posts with varied sentence structure. You will be expected to have more fleshed-out characters and adhere to the setting.

ADEPT

An Adept roleplay is best suited to players who have a varied character repertoire and a grasp of complex themes. High reading comprehension is expected. There should be little to no "fluff" posts.

ADVANCED

Players should be confident in their writing ability and have a thorough understanding of genre, themes, story elements, and character dynamics. You will be expected to take an active role in driving the plot forward without derailing the focus of the game. You may be expected to create and/or control NPCs as necessary. Grammar and spelling mistakes should be few.

PRESTIGE

Every post should be written as if you are drafting and editing a professional manuscript. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors oughtn't be present. You are to prove yourself proficient in creating and orchestrating subplots, carrying out full scenes, expanding upon world lore, and smoothly integrating your narrative with other players as if you are a Game Master in your own right.

DOUCHE

You will be impossibly perfect.

How long will I be listed as a "newbie" and have a magenta name?

New users to the site have the rank of "Newbling" until they have 1. been a member of the site for at least 14 days AND 2. made 20 posts anywhere on the forum!

Promotion to the regular Member rank (and a purple name) does not always happen automatically, so don't sweat it if it doesn't update right away. This doesn't affect your ability to use the forums in any way.

What do all these different username colors mean?

Administrators: The bosses of Iwaku.
Staff: Staff who manage site security by enforcing Iwaku policies and handling issues, guide and maintain the roleplay aspects of Iwaku, provide assistance and distribute information about policy to members, and guide and maintain the community aspects of Iwaku.
Interns: Potential staff in training.
Donators: Members that have recently donated money to Iwaku. They have a number of special tools, which can be found here.
New Members: Brand new members of the site.
Members: Active members.
Folklore Members: Active members who have been registered for at least 1 year. They have most of the donator perks, except for unlimited inbox space, attachment size, and avatar file size.
Mythical Members: Active members that have been registered for a year and also have 10,000 posts. They have all the same perks as donators.
Lurker Members: Someone that has not posted on the forums in 30 days.
Inactive Members: Someone that has not visited the site in 90 days.
Deactivated Members: Someone who has chosen to deactivate their account.
Banned Members: (Black Name) Banned members.

What is a "roleplay resume"?

The Account Details section of your profile contains a number of questions and checklists about your roleplaying habits. It's the perfect way to let potential partners know what kind of genre, styles, characters, and plots you are interested in playing. Keep your resume up to date, and other members will be able to review it and know if you're the right person to invite to their roleplay.

What do the post reactions (Like, etc.) mean?

Most of the post reactions are pretty straightforward, but there are a few weird ones. Here's a full guide to Iwaku's post ratings.

GENERAL SITE REACTIONS

useful.png
Useful - for letting someone know a post is useful content
thank.png
Thank You - thanking someone for their post
rainbow.png
Bucket o' Rainbows - A generic positive react
ahseenit.png
Ah Seen It - "I saw this" react
compassion.png
Sympathy & Compassion - showing empathy for a post
niceexecution.png
Nice Execution - well done react
plotbunny.png
Plot Bunny - This gives me plot bunnies
like.png
Like - Generic like button
love.png
Love - Generic love button
laugh.png
Haha - this post is funny

ROLEPLAY CONTENT REACTIONS

creative.png
Creative - this post is creative
omg.png
OMG - this post blew my mind
accordingtoplan.png
According to Plan - this post is falling right into my plotting hands
creepy.png
Creepy - this post is spooky and creepy
twist.png
What a TWIST - whoa what a cool twist
crying.png
Hit me in my FEELS - this hits me in my feels and made my cry
shook.png
I'm SHOOK - aaahhh this post was so unexpected i'm SHOOK
wicked.png
Wicked - this post is wicked~!
sweet.png
Sweet - this post is sweet
spicy.png
Spicy - this post is spicy hot

SPECIAL EVENT REACTIONS

valentine.png
Valentine - only available during February Events

What do the heart and star icons by usernames mean?

The icons by your username indicate your age group! A blue icon is for teenagers (17 or under) and a red icon is for adults (18 or over). This helps you identify which age group a member is in so you know right off the bat and can more easily avoid breaking our policies about smut RP across age lines.

What are the Roleplay Realms?

There is a yearly contest called the Worldbuilding and Roleplaying Game Master Challenge (WaRP) in which all members meeting a certain criteria can submit an entry to win a spot in the Roleplay Realms.

This is intended to allow GMs an opportunity to create large-scale, long-term roleplays with multiple threads and even subforums.

What does "pending deletion" mean?

On Iwaku, as long as someone isn't trying to evade punishment for rulebreaking behavior, accounts can be self-deleted. There's a week-long period in between when the user initiates self-deletion and when it will go through, so that they are able to cancel the deletion if they change their mind.

During this time, their user title will display as "Pending Deletion".

Last edited by a moderator:

How do I edit my profile?

If you hover over or click your name in the top right corner, you will see a dropdown menu for editing many different aspects of your account! To edit your profile page, you would choose "Account Details".

I've become a Lurker and my name has turned brown. How can I change back to a normal member?

Make a post on the main forums. Within 24 hours you should revert back to the normal active member color.

Can I have more than one account?

No. We do not allow people to have multiple accounts on Iwaku. There is no reason to!

What are the requirements for working animated .GIFs in avatars?

HOW TO MAKE .GIFS WORK FOR REGISTERED MEMBERS:

204kb Max Filesize
200px Max Width
Max Height is a percentage we're unclear about.

FOR DONATORS:

200px Max Width
Max Height is a percentage we're unclear about.

If it is over these limits it will resize the picture as a .JPEG and kill the animation.

How do I edit my roleplay resume?

Go to your username in the top right. In the dropdown menu there will be a link called "Account Details"! This allows you to edit your profile page, including filling out your roleplay preferences.

How do I deactivate my account?

Click your name in the top bar at the right corner of the screen. Hover to bring up the dropdown menu. Select "Account Details", then go down the list of options on the left-hand menu (on mobile you may need to turn your device sideways to see it). Select "Deactivate Your Account", which will be near the bottom under "Settings". Follow the instructions there and your account will be deactivated "permanently" after a one-week period. You can undo your deactivation during that waiting period but afterward must contact an admin to reinstate the account manually.

How do I change my username?

Click your name in the top bar at the right corner of the screen. Hover to bring up the dropdown menu. Select "Account Details", then go down the list of options on the left-hand side menu (on mobile you may need to turn your device sideways to see it). Select "User Name Change", which will be the first option under "Settings". Put in your password and desired username where prompted, then hit "Change Name". There you go!

What is the signature for and what are the size limits?

Your signature appears under your forum posts and can be used to advertise for roleplays, show off .GIFs that make you laugh, link to your character blog, and more. Images and hyperlinks work in signatures but div boxes and several other fancy bells and whistles don't.

We ask text signatures be less than 800px tall (roughly equivalent to 35 lines of standard size text) and less than 3MB total for all images and text combined. This means that when expanded, a signature will fit within a single Iwaku page on an average screen without need to scroll. Signatures taller than 200px will be collapsed automatically for easier browsing by default.

Signature viewing can be disabled under Preferences.

Do old/inactive accounts get deleted?

Yes. Accounts that have not been logged into for 2 years are subject to deletion. Accounts cannot be restored once they are deleted. Posts in threads from these users will still exist, but other content (such as profile posts and private messages) may be deleted entirely from the site.

We will also delete certain accounts by a site member's request. If an account has never made any posts and has not been logged into for at least 6 months, but they have a name that an active member wants to use, then we will delete that account to free up the name. If the inactive account has made even a single post on the forum then the account will not be deleted until it reaches 2 years of inactivity.

Reactions: affection

Customization

How do I change my style and color settings?

There are two ways to change your site style!

Scroll down to the BOTTOM left-hand corner. You'll see "Dusk" as the default style setting. Click that button and it'll give you a list of other styles to choose from.

OR you can go to the TOP right-hand corner, click your username and then select "Preferences" from the drop-down menu, where you will find the same list.

The dark background is hard on my eyes. Is there a light style?

Yes! We have several lighter options. Clicking on your name on the top menu bar, then Preferences, will bring you to a screen with a Style selection at the top of the options. The style options can also be accessed from the menu bar near the bottom of any Iwaku page.

Is there a way to change the size of Iwaku's text?

Yes, if you click on your username at the top of the page, then select "Preferences," there will be an option to change the default font size.

How do I do the fancy stuff like create boxes around my post and such?

You can find our complete BBcode list in our bbcode page! If you're looking for somewhere to try things out, your own thread in the The Coding Lab is a great place! You can ask questions for tricky coding in the RESOURCE - BBCode Help, and check the RESOURCE - Divtionary 2.0 for a more detailed explanation of more complex coding.

Iwaku Policies

Where can I find the rules, rights and privileges, etc.?

The Terms of Service and Rules page can be accessed by clicking that handy link or going to the bottom menu bar of any Iwaku page and clicking Terms and Rules.

How do you decide to ban people?

When a member starts becoming a problem to the community, they are reported to the Security Staff. They collectively discuss these situations on a case-by-case basis. A member's case is considered only by their own actions, behavior, and interaction with the community. Banning is only done if no other solutions can be found!

Why was ____ banned? You should have a thread or listing of banned people somewhere.

We will never post up a public list about banned members because we feel this promotes undue attention and needless fire-spitting toward our banned members, but we do encourage members to approach us if they have any questions.

When we ban people on Iwaku, they have earned that ban through multiple site violations or doing something really bad. Ban reasons can be viewed at the bottom of any post by a banned member. If you ever want to know more about why a certain member was banned, you can ask @Diana. She is the Administrator that approves bans and will know the reasons why. All Security Staff members also have access to case files and should be able to give you an adequate answer as well.

What do I do if I witness someone breaking a rule?

Politely let them know that they are breaking a rule. Most people that do this are usually new and have no idea it's a rule. If they KEEP doing it, or are deliberately doing it, you can Report them.

How can I report a specific post that is breaking the rules?

At the bottom of posts there is a "Report Post" button. It's a rectangle with those words and a circular icon with an exclamation point symbol. On mobile devices you may have to click the Tools option (with the wrench icon) and then select Report from the menu that pops up. You can also report a member's behavior with the Report a Member link found on the Home page, or report directly from their profile.

For further information on how to report members, read this Resource.

Getting Assistance

Where do I post questions about Iwaku?

Post any questions you have in the Help Desk.

How do I get a thread closed, moved, or deleted?

You can use the Thread Moderation form to submit a request and an Intern or Maintenance Staff member will take care of it for you.

If your account is at Folklore Member status or above, you can lock your own threads using the Thread Tools option at the top right of the thread.

Someone is plagiarizing my work or someone else's. What do I do?

We do not allow plagiarism or art theft on Iwaku! If you suspect someone is posting work that isn't theirs and claiming ownership, send in a report by hitting the "Report" link at the bottom of the post or via the report form with proof. Staff will look in to it.

What do I do if I think I am being treated unfairly by the staff?

You can send in an official complaint through our Report a Staffer form. Only the Admins will see it.

Can the request thread moderation button be used to revive an old roleplay?

Yes, yes it can! It works the same way, by linking the thread and saying which forum you need it moved to. A staff member will put it in the place you asked for and open it up so you can reply again.

I got a message from a staff member. Am I in trouble?

First off, read the message to see what it says! If a staff member is messaging you about Iwaku business, they will usually tell you in more detail what's going on. You might not be in any trouble at all. They could even be asking about something unrelated. You don't know unless you check!

Even if you have broken a rule, the best course of action is to carefully read the message and respond. More information about staff, and messages can be found here.

I entered the wrong date of birth when making my account. What do I do?

Use the Contact Us form to let us know. We will address the issue as soon as possible! It is very important that your account has your correct date of birth, even if it is just the day that's wrong.

Site Errors

Which browser is best for Iwaku?

Iwaku is (hopefully) excellent on all browsers. Any popular browser should be fine, but if you encounter errors or bugs that you suspect might be a browser compatibility issue then please report them in the Help Desk so they can be investigated.

Why does it say that I have insufficient privileges to view a forum? How do I fix it?

"Insufficient privileges" means that you are trying to view a thread or post in a section that you don't have permission to view. The most common reason for seeing this message is that you are trying to post in the wrong Star forum for your age group! Redstar areas are accessible only by 18+ year old members, and Bluestar areas are accessible only to members younger than 18 years old.

If you are seeing this message in error and you are supposed to have access to that section, contact an Administrator or post a bug report in the Help Desk.

I’m getting a lot of lag. What do I do?

This can be anything from the server being busy to your own internet connection acting up. If it's only Iwaku lagging, wait 15 minutes and try again.

I keep getting errors saying the site is busy. What do I do?

When the server says it's busy, that means it's either doing a site backup and needs to keep people from viewing the pages OR there are too many people online. Wait 15 minutes and try again.

Something odd happened that you haven’t covered. What now?

You can report strange errors in the Help Desk as a help topic OR in the current stickied bug thread. If you are unable to post on the forums, we have a Contact Us Form.

General Iwaku Questions

Where does the name "Iwaku" come from? What does it mean?

"Iwaku" is a word taken from Japanese, back when Iwaku was first created c. 2004 as a fan roleplay forum for the .hack// franchise of anime and games. According to RomajiDesu:

いわくiwaku 【 曰く 】
(n) pretext; history; past; story
(n-adv) according to ...; ... says

ふふ・・・いわくがあるのさ、あそこには。
He-heh... there's a tale behind that, for that place.

Who are the past/current Administrators and owners of Iwaku?

Peridox
Creator of Iwaku.
Started Iwaku as a .hack// fan roleplay forum. Gone forever into the ether of the internet, never to be heard from again. A mythical creature that many do not believe ever existed.

Homac
Second Admin of Iwaku, chosen by Peridox.
When the original site died, Homac moved Iwaku to new forums on Proboards and made it an all-genre roleplay forum. Last in charge many years ago, before a ragtag team of misfits hijacked the community and ran away with it. He popped in once on Iwaku's current domain in 2013 to say hi, but has since poofed once more.

Gabriel Zero
Third admin of Iwaku, chosen by Homac.
Built Iwaku up into an active community filled with dynamic and creative roleplayers. Is famous for his aggressive advertising techniques. Retired and started a new roleplay forum: Role Play Adventures. He has not been seen for many years.

Blind Hemingway (Rory)
Fourth admin of Iwaku, chosen by Gabriel Zero.
Retired From Service.
He is famous for historical costume reenacting, secret identities, and surreal roleplays. He is an elusive and introverted creature, rarely seen on the forums unless he is sharing interesting pieces of news or terrorizing the new people.

Asmodeus
Fifth Admin of Iwaku. Chosen by, uh... Who the heck chose this guy?
Retired From Service.
Known as Iwaku's Big Daddy, who you either loved to hate or hated to love. He terrorized threats to Iwaku with satire and intense sarcasm. Earned his fame through story-intensive plotlines and detailed forum culture mythos. Ran off with his wife to write books, but he still hangs around.

Diana
Sixth Admin of Iwaku, chosen by Rory.
CURRENT ADMINISTRATOR AND SITE OWNER OF IWAKU.
Blowing in like a hurricane, she reformed the site, hijacked Iwaku from Proboards to its own domain, and enforced an organized community structure. Expanded Iwaku's community size and supports the site financially by paying the bills. Famous for playing Mary Sue damsels and being a muse engineer. She tried to retired and then returned from her tree hollow.

Jack Shade
Seventh Admin, chosen by Asmodeus.
Retired From Service.
Famous For: "Who Is Jack Shade?" Jack's stint as an admin was brief due to life conflicts and other interests getting in the way.

Vay
Eighth Admin, chosen by Rory and Diana.
Retired From Service.
Hired so Rory and Diana wouldn't kill each other, Vay became an intricate part of the team as Evil Queen of the Banhammer. She prevented murder amongst the masses and provided the community with fun generator tools. She has since retired from forum RP and runs around doing Facebook things with Rory somewhere.

Astaroth
Ninth Admin, chosen by Diana.
Retired From Service.
Hired along with Kitti and Jorick to take over so Diana could move on to other projects. He focused on the Roleplay Staff and related matters.

Kitti
Tenth Admin, chosen by Diana.
Retired From Service.
Hired along with Astaroth and Jorick to give Diana some rest (which was promptly ruined by Diana starting a new forum). She focused on the Community Staff and related matters.

Jorick
Eleventh Admin, chosen by Diana.
Retired From Service.
Hired along with Astaroth and Kitti because sometimes Diana makes poor life choices. He focused on the Security Staff and related matters.

How did Iwaku get started and become what it is today?

Once upon a time, Iwaku was created by someone named PERIDOX. It was a .hack//sign roleplay fan forum!

But alas, life came and took Peridox away. Soon, HOMAC took over as administrator, moving the old forum to a new forum and creating the new form of Iwaku: general roleplaying!

Homac hired up GABRIEL ZERO as admin, and through Gabriel Zero's excellent advertising skills, they grew Iwaku Mighty.

But one day Homac retired, leaving Gabe to run the show. Gabe hired up RORY and ASMODEUS. But soon Gabe too fell victim to life and vanished in a crazy haze!

Iwaku met a difficult era where Iwaku wasn't growing and many members were dying off. Rory asked DIANA for help and she soon became Admin.

Diana, Rory and Asmodeus whisked Iwaku away from Proboards to its own private server! There, Iwaku was able to rebuild after craziness and the oppression of a strict Terms of Service.

Iwaku's life became badass. The community became a happenin' chillax place of wicked awesome roleplaying.

Eventually Asmo had to retire and JACK SHADE took his place. No one knows who Jack Shade is, but he haunted everyone's souls!

But Jack fell victim to life's cruel busy fingers and VAY took the reigns.

Come to the recent era, Iwaku is a booming community aimed at keeping a relaxed atmosphere for roleplayers while providing tons of learning tools, inspiration, and entertainment in between.

But it wasn't exactly a happily ever after scenario. Over time the burdens of real life pulled Rory and Vay away from their Iwaku duties. Diana worked her butt off to keep things running as smoothly as possible, and to keep the community open and friendly, but eventually she decided she needed to hand the reins over to new admins and move on to new projects.

Astaroth, Kitti, and Jorick were all hired at the same time to free Diana from the shackles of administration. Fools, the lot of them, but they agreed to it so they couldn't really complain too much.

A year later when Jorick desperately needed to retire, Diana stepped out of her tree hollow to take up admin position #3 once again. Astaroth and Kitti eventually stepped away as well.

The site is currently maintained by @Diana.

Who are the former staff members of Iwaku?

Because Iwaku is SO OLD, has cycled through so many staff members, deleted accounts and name changes, we can no longer maintain an accurate list of former staff members.

However, we still want to humbly thank all of our members that have volunteered their time and energy to working on the Iwaku Staff. We appreciate your contribution to our growing community! Iwaku would not be what it is without the contributions of dedicated members.

Why do you keep upgrading/changing the forums?! Why can't things stay the same?

Upgrades provide vital bug fixes and features for a growing community. We are trying really hard to avoid any more major system changes. The Iwaku community is constantly changing and evolving, so its forum system needs to stay up to date with it.

Inbox Conversations (PMs)

Are conversations private or can all members view your conversations?

Only you and the members invited to the conversation can view them.

The only exception is when a conversation message gets reported.

How do I find a conversation that I left?

When you leave a conversation that conversation is GONE forever unless the other person still has the conversation and can reinvite you to it.

Is there a way to invite people to existing Inbox Conversations?

There is! Regular members are able to invite up to 20 people to a Conversation. For unlimited invites, you may purchase a Donator account upgrade.

To send invites, make sure you have the side bar open when viewing the Conversation and then click the "Invite More" link. This link can be found at the bottom of the side bar.

975b6c770e6ba46eb9feb65986429bae-png.png

If you don't see the side bar, click the 3 vertical dots shown in the image below.

84e9694601ff874f9fbe9f7638d40cfd-png.png

How can I keep new conversations from showing up in my email?

Go to "Preferences" in your account and uncheck the option that says "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"!

I'm having trouble sending private messages; what do I do?

Have you checked this resource yet? There are step steps inside you can try. If you get an error while trying to send, be sure to read it carefully as it will usually offer an explanation.

Is there a limit to how many conversations (or individual conversation posts) I can have?

By default, members on Iwaku have a limit of 1,000 conversation threads and 20,000 posts! A special perk for donators is unlimited inbox space. However, if you exceed the usual limit with this perk and then stop being a donator, your inbox will then be overfull and you won't be able to go anymore over and will instead have to reduce first.

Notifications

Is it possible to get email alerts from watched threads?

Yes! When you watch a thread it pops up with an option to choose from just site alerts or additional email alerts. You can change this setting in your watched threads listing and your preferences.

Is it possible to get the notifications from Iwaku to stop showing up in my email?

You want to go to "Preferences" and make sure all options that say "send to email" are turned off. After that, make sure your Watched Threads or Watched Characters/Albums are not still checked to send email.

Is there an option to consolidate notification emails to one a day instead of one per alert? My inbox is flooding.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be an option, and we were unable to find a modification to make it happen. Until one becomes available, we recommend turning off email notifications or being more selective about which threads you get email notifications from.

My alerts are broken and aren't always sending like they are supposed to.

Iwaku's forum system has a feature that TURNS OFF alerts to prevent members from being spammed by unnecessary alerts.

When you receive an alert from a watched thread, the system prevents any future alerts from that thread until it is flagged as read—which happens when you have read the LAST post of the thread. Not always the post you got the alert for, and never the alert itself. That's why the alert points out that "There may be more posts after this."

The quickest solution is to read the last post of the thread, and your alerts for that thread will be fixed.

If you think that you may have missed something, check Watched Forum and Watched Threads, which may show where there are replies you haven't read.

Can edit alerts be turned off for ONLY my own bookmarked posts?

Unfortunately, the only option to turn off notifications for edits to bookmarked posts will affect notifications for all bookmarked posts. The system does not distinguish posts you own from the rest.

Is there a way to enable mobile push notifications for Iwaku?

Iwaku does not currently support push notifications. If you have push notifications for emails enabled on your phone, you can enable email notifications in your account settings. This might be the best workaround. Go to Preferences, then check "and receive email notifications" for any alerts you'd like to get emails for.

Post and Thread Options

What is this "Throw a dice" thing?

That is a dice roll feature, where you can roll dice in your posts. Perfect for any dice-based roleplay systems or for getting fun random results for games. But be careful, once you roll, you can't remove it from your post!

How do I make a dice roll on my roleplay posts?

After you make a post, you will see a "More Options" link at the bottom right-hand corner. When you click that, you have the option of rolling dice or having a random item picked from a list.

How many images can I upload to my attachments?

Each member can currently take up to 5MB of upload space. DONATOR accounts have unlimited space.

Is there a way to access saved post drafts?

We're afraid there is not. Drafts save every 60 seconds and keep in the database for 24 hours.

Sometimes drafts do not automatically save, due to server error or flukes in the system. Always make sure to keep a copy of your post in a program like Notepad, just in case.

How do I create a poll?

When you post a new topic, there are options under the big post form that allows you to create a poll.

If you want to ADD a poll to an already existing thread, you click "Thread Tools" and then "Add Poll".

Can I delete or create a new poll in a thread that already has a poll?

At this moment: NO. Once you add a poll to a thread, that poll is stuck there.

We are hoping this option becomes available in the future.

What does the "Ignore Thread" option do?

There are three ways to use the Ignore Thread option:

1. News Feed

This prevents this thread from showing in your activity News Feed; you will not see new updates in your feed when people you follow post in this thread. (This does not affect old updates in your feed.) It will also be hidden from the thread list when viewing the forum.

2. New Posts

This thread will not show when viewing the "New Posts" page even when it has received new posts, and also will be hidden from the thread list when viewing the forum.

3. Thread List

This thread will be hidden in the thread list when viewing the forum. However, it will still show in the news feed and on the New Posts page when there is new activity.

If you have ignored a thread, you will only be able to view it with a direct link.

Why can't I edit the thread that I made?

For some reason, the forum software has difficulty with special characters in thread titles. This means that having emojis or altering thread fonts will often cause it to no longer save edits properly (reasons unclear at this time). You can contact a moderator and ask them to change your thread title to plaintext if this happens and you want to edit your thread.

Social Interaction

Are followers the equivalent of friends?

That is correct! When you follow someone, their content will pop up in your Newsfeed so that you can follow their content easier.

Why is my friend now marked as "Guest"?

When someone is marked as a "Guest" that means the member self-deleted their account or they were inactive for so long that their account got deleted.

What do I do when I don’t get along with someone, if I find something they say is offensive, or I believe they are trying to troll people?

Ignore them. Discord allows you to ignore members, and there is an Ignore List on the forums! Should this person be breaking rules of Iwaku or harassing you and other members, please send in a Report about them.

Note: You cannot ignore a staff member.

When do I use my status to tell people I am going to be gone and when do I use New Arrivals & Departures?

Any time you are going to be gone longer than a few days, use both the status feature AND post a note in Arrivals and Departures. That way your roleplay partners will know you aren't available for posting. You can also set up an automatic response in PMs, similar to an "email away notice" to let your partners know that you are gone.

How do I ban a member from viewing me?

You cannot ban a member from viewing you. However, you can press ignore user and you won't see anything they post.

How do I tell the difference between someone's account being deleted, or being put on ignore by that person?

When someone's account has been deleted, they will no longer have a profile page. Their account is totally gone.

When you are on ignore, their account still exists and you can view their profile, but they can't see anything you post or receive messages from you.

I started a thread and want to invite someone else. How do I do that?

You can share the link with them. You can also alert someone to a thread by tagging them in a post like this: @usernamehere

BB Code

Why do my codes keep breaking?

If you are having trouble with basic codes, try turning off the Rich Text Editor first. You can do this by toggling the brackets icon in the upper right corner of the post editor. This activates the BB Code Editor, which displays full BB Coding in plain text. You'll be able to see any mistakes or issues caused by rich text.

If you're still unsure where you've gone wrong, you can ask for help in the BBCode Help thread.

Roleplay Questions

Where do I post a new roleplay?

FOR GROUP ROLEPLAYING:

Post your in-character roleplay thread in either the Original Group or Fandom Group stories sections, based on whether your rp is created from an original idea or created from an already existing work. If your roleplay is going to have explicit sexual content, it belongs in the Redstar Bedroom Group IC or Bluestar Bedroom Group IC depending upon your age group (Redstar for 18+, Bluestar for Under 18).

If you need to share information and chat outside of your roleplay and/or require character approval before players may join, post your Out of Character or Signup thread in Group RP Signups. You are allowed one thread in Signups; any additional threads may be posted in Roleplay Extras.

There are also Redstar Group Connections and Bluestar Group Connections sections to use for Out of Character and Signup thread placement. Additional threads belong in the corresponding Redstar Extras or Bluestar Extras forums.

FOR ONE-ON-ONE ROLEPLAYING:

If you are looking for a single partner for a two-player roleplay, you can post requests in the Partner Connections forum under Roleplay Connections. Post your roleplay thread in the One on One In Character section.

If your roleplay is going to have a high amount of explicit sexual content, it belongs in the Redstar Bedroom or Bluestar Bedroom depending upon your age group (Redstar for 18+, Blustar for Under 18). Occasional sexual content is allowed in the regular One on One section as long as both partners belong to the same age group and use spoiler tags or warnings on relevant posts.

You can search for partners specifically for sexual roleplays in the Redstar Connections and Bluestar Connections partner request forums.

If you need a thread to share info or chat with your partner about your existing roleplay, it can be placed in the Roleplay Extras forum (or corresponding Star Extras forum).

Is there a special style of RP here?

No! Iwaku hosts multiple styles of roleplaying. There is no right or wrong way to roleplay, and we encourage all members to try different styles to see what they like the best.

Are there chat RPs here? How do I learn about them?

Yes, we have an on-site chatroom used for chat RPs. You can find current and past chat RPs here in Chat Roleplays, and more information on how to set up a chat RP here.

What is the complete list of available content tags?

The complete list of Content Tags is viewable here.

What are the "Posting Expectation" levels?

POSTING EXPECTATION LEVELS

You may have seen content tags on roleplay threads that mention a "posting expectation", or seen these levels mentioned in the info section of a roleplay's first post. But what exactly are "posting expectations"?

Put simply, this level system is a handy resource for Game Masters to use so that players will know exactly what sort of posts they're looking for, and for players to refer to in order to avoid games which will frustrate them and not suit their aptitude or playing style. The Staff encourages all GMs to use this labeling system for their roleplays.

Levels are ordered from "easiest" to "hardest".

GIVE-NO-FUCKS

You can expect to post absolutely anything in this roleplay as long as it doesn't break forum-wide rules. If there are at least two letters or numbers that form a legible word (even if only in chat speak), it's fair game.

BEGINNER

This roleplay asks for minimal effort and is open to players who are just starting to learn. You should have a grasp of basic sentence structure and be prepared to actively contribute to the story. Chat speak is not appropriate here.

ELEMENTARY

Elementary-level roleplays are ideal for those who are still learning but are comfortable with roleplay fundamentals and etiquette. An understanding of simple character roles and loose adherence to a basic plot line is expected.

INTERMEDIATE

At this level, you should exhibit a distinct writing voice and style. All players must be familiar with common grammar and punctuation and write clearly legible posts with varied sentence structure. You will be expected to have more fleshed-out characters and adhere to the setting.

ADEPT

An Adept roleplay is best suited to players who have a varied character repertoire and a grasp of complex themes. High reading comprehension is expected. There should be little to no "fluff" posts.

ADVANCED

Players should be confident in their writing ability and have a thorough understanding of genre, themes, story elements, and character dynamics. You will be expected to take an active role in driving the plot forward without derailing the focus of the game. You may be expected to create and/or control NPCs as necessary. Grammar and spelling mistakes should be few.

PRESTIGE

Every post should be written as if you are drafting and editing a professional manuscript. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors oughtn't be present. You are to prove yourself proficient in creating and orchestrating subplots, carrying out full scenes, expanding upon world lore, and smoothly integrating your narrative with other players as if you are a Game Master in your own right.

DOUCHE

You will be impossibly perfect.

How do I see what a roleplay's "posting expectations" are?

A roleplay's posting expectations may be tagged at the top of the thread, along with other content tags. If it's not there, check the first post of the roleplay where the GM is explaining their game. And if you don't see anything there either, they don't have expectations!

What’s a "trigger" and when should I be careful about them?

"Triggers" are content such as violence, abuse, or other material that could make some members very uncomfortable. Because it's impossible to know what might be a trigger for someone, we just ask members to use relevant content tags on their roleplays or use spoiler codes on any roleplay scenes they feel might be extra violent.

Can I write a roleplay in a language other than English?

Yes, but you must post an English translation of your post in spoiler tags. It's already a big job for staff to moderate the forums. Having to translate people's roleplays on top of it would be very difficult.

Are users younger than 18 able to write non-sexual roleplays with users who are 18+?

Yes! You can play almost anything with people outside of your age group, with the exception of sexual content. Sex scenes are segregated to protect people from legal issues or predators.

What is a "playing style"? What is "passive" versus "aggressive"?

"Playing style" refers to the approach a player takes to roleplaying. A passive player is someone who needs direction and likes their partner to lead the story. An aggressive player likes directing action and controlling the plot. Many people are good with doing both!

Can I bump my roleplay thread? How often can I do it?

Members are allowed to bump their threads once a day as long as they are not making posts like "BUMP", "UP", ".." or other spam-like posts to do it.

We recommend posting updates as a way to bump your threads.

For example in a Signup thread: "We still need a few more players." or "We need more girls to join."

Or in a Partner Request thread: "I'm still looking for X more partners." or "I need more guy character partners!"

This lets people know what you actually need and you'll be more likely to get a response.

Additionally, all Folklore Members and above have a "Bump" feature link in their Thread Tools. It will bump your thread without making a post.

For a more in-depth look at bumping, check this handy resource.

Is it okay to make a character whose gender isn't male or female but something else like genderqueer?

Absolutely! We don't have rules restricting what kind of character you can play, except that you cannot write children under 13 (or who look under 13) in sexual scenarios. If you are applying for someone else's roleplay with that character, though, just make sure they don't have any rules that would restrict it. Game Masters have creative control over their own roleplays.

What is an NPC?

NPC stands for "Non-Player Character", meaning a character that is not purely controlled by a single player and/or is a side character created and controlled by the Game Master.

Sexual Contents

Why are there two Star sections? Why can't I play in the other one?

We have two sections for sexual content roleplay. Red Star (for Adults 18+) and Blue Star (for 17-). This separation of age groups is necessary to prevent issues while also allowing freedom of creative expression through writing.

It protects ADULT members from legal trouble that comes from playing with a minor and allows them to play without fear.

It protects TEEN members from creeper adults, and allows them to play in a safe and moderated environment.

Trying to circumvent the age groups by lying about your age or using multiple accounts can earn an automatic ban. Roleplaying in One[x]Ones or private Inbox Conversations to avoid these rules can also earn a ban.

When are sex scenes acceptable outside the Star forums?

Sometimes sex scenes happen as a natural part of plot development or progression. This is allowed on occasion outside of the Star areas. All you need to do is wrap them with spoiler BB Code tags and give a content warning.

Note that this does NOT mean you can do these scenes with members outside of your age group. You can easily tell which age group a member is in by checking the heart icon near their username. Red means they're an adult, blue means they're a teen.

Can I post nude pictures in my threads?

Before posting any images, please review our policies concerning NSFW content.

***A GOOD RULE OF THUMB: Would someone get in trouble if they were caught looking at that picture during school or work? If the answer is YES, put it under a spoiler tag with a warning.

I can't get into my Star section. What's wrong?

If you have a NEW account , it can take up to an hour for your account to automatically update your access. If you still can't access your appropriate section after 24 hours, contact a Security moderator for assistance.

If you are 17 or 18 and seem to be having rollover issues for your appropriate section, you should also contact Security for assistance. There might be a bug with your account.

I'm 17 and my partner is 18. Could we bend the rules a little?

No, we're afraid not. We have to have a line somewhere! Bending these rules could still get members and the site in trouble.

If my partner isn't in my age group, can we just play sex scenes in Inbox Conversations (PMs) or somewhere off-site?

No. In order to allow ALL of our members to have the freedom to roleplay sexual content, it's important we follow the age group rules strictly. This is to protect our Teen members from sexual predators and to protect Adult members from legal issues.

If we have suspicions that you are trying to circumvent age restrictions by playing sex scenes with someone outside of your age group in PMs or taking it off-site, you account could be investigated and then permanently banned from Iwaku.

In my country the age laws are different. Can you bend the Iwaku rule for me?

No. We must adhere to the laws that our server site is hosted in.

I don't want to see Star Content. Can I turn it off?

Yes, you can. This will prevent you from being able to see the Star forums; it will also cause problems if you try to follow a link to a thread within one, however.

To do this, go to your Account Details, check the box next to "Hide Star Content", and save changes. Note that it might take a day or so for the system to reflect this change with complete accuracy.

I just turned 18, can I move from Blue Star to Red Star?

Yes! The system will automatically switch you on your birthday!

Support Forum

Can anyone post a writing guide in the Roleplay Help & Writing Guides area?

Yes! We just ask that you don't post too many threads all in a single day. Spread them out!

Am I allowed to post adult content in the Support forum?

Yes. Just make sure you put a content warning or hide adult content under spoiler tags. Make sure to review our policies on NSFW content before posting any images or media.

Can I have more than one testing, showcase, shop, or request thread?

Yes! You can have as many threads as you want.

Thread Archival

Does archiving mean my RP is locked away forever?

No! You can Request Thread Moderation at any time to get a thread revived. After moving your thread back to the active forums, a moderator will use the Bump Thread feature to update the last posting date and ensure that your thread is safe from being archived again for inactivity.

When are roleplays archived?

Most roleplays are moved to the Thread Archive when there has not been a new post in the In Character thread or Out of Character thread for over 90 days. Roleplays featuring sexually explicit content are instead moved to the Star Graveyard after 90 days of no posts in either thread.

How do I move a roleplay out of the archives?

You use the Request Thread Moderation form that is linked at the bottom of the site!

When do Showcasing threads get archived?

If a member has gone inactive for 90 days, we send their Showcase threads to the Thread Archives. Once active again, a member can request their thread be reinstated.

Advertising on Iwaku

What can I do to advertise or generate interest for a multiplayer roleplay?

You can ask people if they are interested in your idea or advertise an existing roleplay in Group Brainstorming & RP Search. If your roleplay focuses on explicit sexual content, use your age-appropriate Redstar (18+) or Bluestar (Under 18) Group Connections forums.

You can also make a roleplay advertisement banner and have it added to the rotation of banners at the top of the site. See the rules for advertising banners for more details.

What can I advertise in the Off-Site Ads forum?

You can advertise anything you want in the Off-Site Ads forum. It does not have to be related to roleplaying. However, please review our rules first as there are some exceptions.

Advertisements for on-site roleplays go in Group Brainstorming & RP Search or in Partner Connections (or the appropriate Star sections).

Do you have statistics for your banner ads?

There should be stats visible on your ads page. However, the ads system is fickle and doesn't like to do what it's told. If the columns under Views and Clicks show only N/A, then stat tracking is broken. We will try to fix this whenever possible.

What are the rules for the advertising banners?

Do not include NSFW images or excessively sexual language in your advertisement. If your advertisement is for a Bluestar or Redstar roleplay, make sure to mention that in the 'Notes' section under the 'Options' tab.

Roleplaying and writing-related websites may submit an advertisement banner using the Non-Atabye Roleplay/Writing Site Advertising banner package and must pay the associated fee. Due to cooperation with Atabyte Hosting, roleplaying and writing sites hosted by Atabyte may instead use the Iwaku Banner package and waive the fee.

Other websites may submit an advertisement banner using the Non-Writing/Roleplaying Offsite Advertising banner package and must pay the associated fee. We do not waive fees for Atabyte-hosted sites unless they are focused on writing or roleplaying.

How do I delete my banner?

In order to delete your advertisement banner, it needs to be out of the active banner rotation. If the advertising period has already expired, you should be able to go and delete the advertisement. If it is still active, pause your advertisement, then go into the edit settings and you should be able to delete your banner while it is paused.

How can I renew my ad banner?

It's possible for someone with the proper access (an Admin or a member of Security) to manually go in and renew an ad for you, but the ad system unfortunately does not have a built-in option for renewing ads on the user end. The fastest way to get an ad renewed is to just make a new one.

Joining Staff

How do I apply to be staff?

View the Iwaku staff application for a detailed explanation on what we expect from staff and the application.

How do I become an Intern?

You can submit an application here and the admins will review applications and hire new Interns at the beginning of the month. You may not be hired directly after submitting an application, so don't worry if it doesn't happen right away.

What are the requirements for being an Intern/Staff?

While your application and your activity on Iwaku as a whole will be reviewed, the only hard requirements are that you are an active member (your name isn't brown or grey) of at least 4 months who isn't a complete dickhead.

Basically everyone starts out as an Intern, and to get promoted to one of the Staff sections they need to show they're willing to do the work and show an aptitude for the work that will be expected of them in a given section. Roleplay Staffers need to show they understand what makes a good roleplay and that they are willing and able to scan for problems among roleplay threads. Community Staffers need to be a positive presence around the forum and show interest in helping with events and such. Security Staffers need to have a level head and show they're capable of the serious responsibilities that come with the job. Site Support Staffers need to understand the ins and outs of the site rules and show their ability to communicate in a calm and professional manner.

What are some tips for being a good Intern?

We want Interns to be model members above all else. Check out this resource for some tips on being a great member of Iwaku.

Why didn’t you pick me yet for Staff?

This could be for any number of reasons. It could be because you're still too new, or not being online often enough, it could be because of past behavior issues, or simply because other people were more qualified! Or because we weren't hiring any new people yet. If you need to know, you can always contact an Administrator to ask.

When are new Staff members hired?

New Staff members are hired at the discretion of the Administrator, as needed. This is most often done at the beginning of the month.

Can I be Staff even if I've gotten warnings about stuff?

That depends on what it was for and the context of the situation. Each candidate is considered individually. Sometimes people who've caused problems are given a shot to shine.

Do I have to wait the whole 4 months to apply?

Nope! You can apply any time. Just make sure your circumstances four months down the road will be the same as they are at the time of your application.

Note: There have been one or two exceptions to the 4 month requirement where people were hired early, but don't get your hopes up too much.

I was on Staff before but was removed for inactivity or had to leave because of personal reasons. Can I be hired back?

Probably! If you were removed recently, you might want to wait a few months to make sure you are in a good place and have time for volunteer work.

I was on Staff before but was removed for bad behavior. Can I be hired back?

Probably not. If you can show you've turned around, though, we'd love to see that and might consider rehiring.

I had an account before and deleted it. My new account is less than four months old. Do I still have to wait?

If we remember you or at least can find your old posts and activity, probably not! We've had a few people take breaks and then return like this, especially if they were on Staff before.

I've applied for Staff before and wasn't hired. Why should I apply again?

A lot of factors go into why people aren't hired at any given time: your current activity levels, what positions are available and what is needed most at the time, whether you've been a member for four months or more yet, past behavior and if you've recently been smacked for something, whether you seem serious on your application. Putting in a second or third or even fourth application actually can show you've got the dedication to keep going for it and help convince Administration to hire you!

Donating & Donator Permissions

What are the benefits of donating to Iwaku?

With the help of your donation, Iwaku gets to stay on a privately owned server that is not victim to a company's strict Terms of Service or suspensions. It may also help buy top-notch software or hardware to keep everything running smoothly and provide members with super cool features that aren't included in the default forum software. We make no money off the site because we do not host third-party ads. The site owner has to pay out of pocket and still afford groceries and other living expenses!

Members who purchase Account Upgrades get a cool Name Color to show they are a Donator, along with a handful of extra perks. You can view the full list here.

The "cool features" aren't as cool as I thought. I want a refund!

Sorry, we don't give refunds! When you donate, you should be donating because you care about helping out Iwaku. Make sure you are 100% positive you want to give us money.

If I set up a recurring donation, can I cancel it later when I don't want to donate anymore?

Yep! You can cancel any recurring donation at any time.

Where does the money go when I donate to Iwaku?

To view the complete list, click here!

I donated and then I got myself in trouble with a warning, suspension, ban, etc. I want my money back!

Actions have consequences. Please don't be a jerkbutt on Iwaku. Giving us money will not bribe us or spare you from getting punished if you break the site policies. We will not give a refund if you get yourself banned.

Do I need to have Paypal to donate? Can I send money a different way?

Paypal is preferred because we pay the Iwaku bill directly through Paypal, HOWEVER we're more than happy to take donations through snail mail. You will need to send a Conversation to Diana to ask about an address.

I am leaving Iwaku but I donate currently. How do I cancel this?

You should be able to do this from the Account Upgrades section of your profile settings. Keep in mind that this won't refund your donation, just cancel a recurring subscription.

My donation settings said that my donation would expire, but it renewed for another month! What gives?

This is an unfortunate problem with the language in the donation addon. If you purchase a recurring subscription, it will not actually expire on that date; it renews. If you want to keep it from renewing, you will need to cancel your subscription through the Account Upgrades.

If your donation renews and you didn't intend to purchase another month, you can use the Contact Us form to let us know that you need a refund. If you do this, you will have your Donator status revoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.