• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, fixed the link to the IC thread. Dunno how that happened. Clipboards man... how do they work.

I'm down for a Skype group chat. I've got Kal, R-9, ERode, and Click This on a group chat already. @Sir Pinkleton are you on Skype?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I'm on Skype! Don't use it too much, but there's no reason not to start. My skype username is: shoobydooby8

EDIT: Also, my next IC post will be a bit short. Just to respond in the conversation so we can keep moving and everyone else can start posting.

Hello fellow crew members!
So I've been working on these with some help from our GM for a day or two! That surprise I mentioned is finally here!

EDIT: Click on the images for full sizes.

EDIT: Here's the Imgur album where all the images were uploaded. THE LEGITIMATE CREW
Just in case anyone wants it.

7Lsr9QP.png

Pei Mao
- Interstellar Piracy
- Illegal Gambling
- Evading Arrest
- Arms Trafficking
- Public Indecency
- Numerous Other Crimes

rvNPLTR.png

Myuri Fey
- Criminal by Association (suspected member of Pei Mao's crew)
- Unpaid bar tabs
- Negligence of critical maintenance duties.

511G455.png

REAL NAME UNKNOWN
- Leader of Criminal Syndicate
- Petty Larceny
- Grand Larceny

g1quPVQ.png

Brent Roless
- Physical Aggression towards political figure
- Interstellar Piracy
- Assault
- Theft

3WRVjz2.png

Rosa Drago
- Parasitic Lifeform (DANGEROUS SPECIES ELIMINATION ORDER)
- Potential Spread of Parasitic Lifeform
- Criminal by Association (suspected member of Pei Mao's crew)
- Unfiled taxes

vCVspAw.png

ABP Mk IV
Serial Number: 49660293-50152860
- Illegal Hardware
- Murder
- Numerous Acts of Manslaughter
- Numerous Acts of Assault
- +6,000,000 GC Notes in Property Damage
- Software Piracy
SHOOT ON SIGHT

Anyone who was an upstanding citizen before certainly won't be after a few hours on this crew! Enjoy the images, keep 'em, do what you want with 'em. Just a little gift I whipped up real quick with the GM's help. Enjoy! Maybe we'll turn them into a banner or something if this roleplay takes off.

(Also, I apologize to @Kal but your image was super fuzzy, as well as the original you gave the GM. Just bad resolution. I did my best and tried to make it work! Hope it's okay!)

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: 1 person
Wow, are we going to be like One Piece now, calculating our power levels based off how much money governments will pay to see us dead? XD

@Sir Pinkleton @R-9 Pilot @Kal @ERode @Click This
Just so you all know, you have full leeway to write the stuff ahead however you want! Be creative, have fun! This isn't me dictating to you guys what happens and you reacting to it- it's everyone being able to unleash their creativity and enjoy themselves. If you want, set up obstacles/foes for another person in your team and allow them to knock 'em down... and then set up traps/enemies for you!

The point is, have fun and let your imagination go wild while doing so- and of course if you do need help or I think you could use a prod I'll step in and play the opposition too~

Reactions: a touch of dread
KZZSSSHT-...Is this thing on? Hello? Hold on, I think the mic is-...

Can you hear me? Yeah, okay. First off - sorry about the whole...stowaway thing. But in my defence, you hired that robot and the whole station was blowing up. But it's all in the past now. Hopefully. Ahem! A-aaaanyways, Heather suggested I put in an audio log since I'm kind of part of your crew anyway to add to the files, so here I am. (Gods, do I have to read all of this out?....Fine, fine, whatever.)

Name: Knox.
Age: 87. No, I'm not that old, it's just-...we age funny and all that, yeah.
Crew Occupation? Uhh, I guess I'm the doctor?
Gender-...okay now you're just messing with me. Just because I can have boobs doesn't mean I'm a girl. Biologically I'm genderless, so call me whatever pronoun you like.

I'm an Azrulian Shapeshifter. To give you a quick overview of what they are, we're a bunch of asexually reproducing humanoids with the capacity to replicate viable organic material through physical contact. In simpler terms...we can transform into a perfect copy of anything living and breathing. Something to do with our body mass, it's pretty much goo under this birthday suit. 'Course, that means that we got a reputation for being skilled in the oldest profession, but let me make this clear right now. I'm not about that life. So don't bother asking. Good? Good.

"List your greatest assets to the crew"? I'm not one for boasting but alright then...

Obviously, I can shapeshift. That means I can infiltrate even the most high tech security systems by just...walking right in - provided there's a breathing body I can prod beforehand. Eye scanners and fingerprints ain't got nothing on me. Also makes me pretty good for framing people by leaving someone else's body hair all over the place, or someone else's face on the security cameras. And, uh, there's the pros of being able to turn into beasts-...but I don't do plants, okay? Bloody difficult to shapeshift out of that one. Maybe I can try Rosa at a stretch but even then you're pushing it.

My healing abilities are probably one of the better skills I have. I remember reading up about it...my cells are totipotent - they can change into anything they touch so long as it's also a cell. So if there's any wound that needs fixing, I'm your guy. Gal. Whatever. It's especially good for internal bleeds, but I'm pretty useless when it comes to diseases - sorry.

I suppose I'm a good team player too - so long as you're not actively trying to kill me like a certain robot, I don't really much care for whatever emotional baggage you want to throw at me. And I like to think I don't complain as much as some of my bitchier shapeshifter brethren so there's that. Is-...is that enough? Can't think of much else.

I guess I better give you some of the weak points too, 'cause that's important.

I'm pretty fragile. As in, I'm pretty much a sentient piece of jelly so if I lose some of that then it's gone. Means that when I heal people or lose a limb my body reshapes itself to make sure I'm proportional to my mass - I shrink and shrink until I eventually pass out. And on that note I need a lot of sleep - shapeshifting is pretty difficult to do several times a day, not to mention I need more energy when I'm smaller to make up for what I lost. Lucky for you I'm not a picky eater either, but really I grow best when I'm sleeping.

When I shapeshift into someone, I've got to get used to having...lungs, and stomachs, and reproductive organs and all that crap. Every person is completely different. When I'm shapeshifted I'm held back by the limits of whatever I've turned into - so if I'm a carnivore then I'm going to need some meat. If I've got gills then I'm going to need a fishbowl ASAP. Not to mention that if you want me to turn into a guard I'm going to need to know a bit about them as a person...what if their best friend walks up to me and asks why I'm acting funny? I downright refuse to just waltz in without any preparation, because it'll be my ass getting beat up first if everything goes wrong.

Oh and I'm a terrible shot. Hopefully one of your team could teach me a thing or two because I don't want to be completely useless, but give me

"Equipment"? You're kidding me? Nothing but the clothes on my back, mainly because I was forced to leave in a hurry. Next time we touch down at a station I'm going to need something to wear. Oh, and don't worry about clothes size - I can mould my body to make it fit.

Do I have to fill out any more of this stuff? Heather? Pei?

Hey there! Here's my character for this roleplay. Hope you like them!

Okay, I'm going to ask these here so that/because it got buried in the Skype chat without any answers:

[question=Aqua]FTL Speed
How long do you guys want the Warp Corridor travel to take? We're not going too far on this first jump but I haven't decided on any sort of scale. Basically, how much downtime do you want compared to actiony bits? I'm currently leaning toward it being a couple hours- fast enough to not be annoyingly slow but it still takes a while to go places. Going from one arm of the galaxy to another might take a good 12 hours, and from one side of the galaxy to the other like 3 or 4 days depending on the weather.[/question]

[question=Aqua]Canon Settings
How do you all feel about using elements from canon settings? Not canon characters, but like alien races, factions, or locations from existing settings? I'm always fine to come up with expies if people don't like mishmash settings but then some people hate expies too so I wanted to get a consensus.[/question]

I don't mind stealing stuff from other settings, whether wholesale or with a (possibly very thin) coat of paint over it.

I'd probably say a few hours to a few days for most FTL travel. If we want to complicate it further, we could add something like it being straight-line translation only, so long trips often involve multiple shorter hops to realign your vector toward the system you want to get to, or something similar.

I think R-9's got the right idea for travel tome.
Few hours if it's within the system, few days if it's in another system.

As for taking things from canon settings... I'm kinda iffy. I don't wanna rip anything directly to where everything is the same, but I think it'd be fun to get some things as parodied versions of their copywritten counterparts.
So I don't want the Klingons walking in on us, but I'm having some dudes who call themselves the Clungoffs show up and act like assholes for five minutes.

Last edited:
Need some sneaky Roombas decloaking in their battlecruisers to fling some shit too.

Since I was lazy, here's my answers now:

Not sure how I feel about traversing the span of the galaxy in a couple days. I like the slower drawn out feel of it taking a while, but then again, that's more suited for slice-of-life on a big ship RP. Sorta like how in Voyager it would take ~70 years to get across a quadrant of the galaxy. Fast, but not super speed, if you catch my drift?

I agree with everybody else on the canon stuff.

Pretty much on board with the few hours/few days idea; I'm starting to see the downside of making a sleep dependent character, mainly being that if everything is in real time then I might have to skip out on posting for...hell, it could be weeks IRL to pass a few hours ingame. Timeskipping would be preferable after some downtime so the crew can fully repair and recover before we throw them into something crazy again. If anyone has any ideas on how to get around Knox's naps and still be able to post regularly, please tell.

As for canon, I'm... frankly I'm terrible when it comes to TV and movies. I don't see the appeal simply because I wouldn't get the joke. Never seen Alien, or Star Trek; only briefly heard a few things about it. If the situation is explained in a way that a complete outsider would get it then I'd say yes, but it doesn't look like we spoon-feed people here and we're expected to make up our own encounters. For those reasons I'd like to avoid canon if possible. If that's impossible then I'm afraid someone may have to explain it all out to me, which is hardly any fun.

Thinking on it s bit more, it probably doesn't matter too much how long the travel downtimes are. We can do some roleplaying before or after missions, but once the scenes are over, just skip ahead to the action and so-on with no real need, as far as the narrative is concerned, to fill the entire intervening time with things.

Well it seems like people are leaning toward the shorter travel times, so I'm alright with that. We can also do things to lengthen travel time, like having obstacles in the way- gravitational anomalies or nebulas or whatever. Plus refueling could be an issue too, gotta fill up on spacegas! And we can do cuts of course, once everyone's content with skipping ahead.

I do want to say about the canon stuff, that I wasn't talking about doing parody joke references. I'm not a fan of that sort of humor... the comedic impact of it is minimal and short-lived. Also I haven't seen Alien or Star Trek either.

But the purpose wasn't about introducing an element and pointing and laughing at how it's been seen elsewhere. It was more about letting us go head-to-head against a dangerous and already established alien race, or to explore a neat, fleshed out location and have a story take place within it. It was never primarily about the humor, it was about the 'doing badass' things part of this RP's focus. Although there is certainly humor to be had by the genre-defying actions of our characters when compared to the original source, sure.

I can certainly come up with original content, of course. And I'm hoping that you guys are willing and able to step up to the plate and put out ideas or take turns running a mission.

The Booooooorg

The Blaaaaaaarg

I think we should come to a middle ground here.

The main reason for wanting canon things is to be able to encounter concepts or obstacles that are already quite fleshed out. What if we took this idea, but made an effort to avoid making a carbon copy of the source material.
If you want to fight the Borg, all we'd need to do is make some adjustments and create a race that settles well into the setting. We make a race pf cyborgs who have a similar motives and method, but are their own thing. They're not the Borg, they're a race based off of them but which is otherwise standalone. You still get to fight cyborgs; they're just not named the Borg and they look a bit different.

Same for hive minded alien monsters like Xenomorphs or the Zerg. We can definitely fight a race like that, they'll just be named something else and have their differences, but the gist is still there.

Basically: Take inspiration and ideas so we can experience what they have to offer, but don't rip something directly from its canon setting and paste it with just a name change or color swap. That just feels kind of tacky, in my opinion.

If there's a need to flesh out some of our inspired races to make them stand away from their source but still capture what the source is all about, I'll happily volunteer for some world building and said fleshing out.

Well said. And totally not because that's what I tend to already do, one way or another, when I do games. Steal from everything, and make something new out of it. ...sometimes more blatantly than others. I've occasionally not even bothered to file the serial numbers off.

Status
Not open for further replies.