• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
@Sen Would a Hoo be acceptable? If not, I'm looking at other things for my Yokai, but it's so pretty. :>

Hoo
Takiyasha hime
Tennyo

oh no, more pretty yokai ;__; *kicks self to not make more characters*

There's a fair bit of stuff on that site that extends to things that are only loosely Yokai, and I'm unsure if Tennyo are exactly Yokai. That site even has Asuras, Qilin and the Four Guardian Beasts of China, which are... uh... not exactly yokai, last I checked.

Some media featuring Yokai might add beings that are not stated to be yokai in their tales and feature them as yokai. For instance, Zen from Nurarihyon no Mago isn't based on a yokai, if we're going by a more traditional definition.

I'm not sure I see the problem, if there is one? If it's loosely youkai, as long as it's youkai, I'm not sure what the problem is, unless this is just a random facts post? o-o

• Thank You
Reactions: envogue and Luma
This helped me in understanding Youkai, at least for this roleplay. Not an expert by far, but this makes the most sense to me.

What Does Yokai Mean in English?

• Useful
Reactions: Luma
I interpret youkai as a generic demon in Japanese lore (since that's what the name means lol), nothing too complex. c:

Reactions: envogue
I interpret youkai as a generic demon in Japanese lore (since that's what the name means lol), nothing too complex. c:

Basically that's how I see it, lol.

Reactions: Katori
And if there are creatures on there that aren't considered youkai/demon... people can always just ask, if that's a big deal too...

I actually do have two questions. Not sure if they've been answered. If so, I apologize. Anyhow..

Would there also be Gods? Such as Shrine Gods/Deities etc? Like the God of Calamity. Fortune, Poverty etc in this RP?

And have you decided on the villain or is it still being discussed? Like how the Yokai are now entering the world etc? Sorry. I've been quite busy lately so I haven't paid much attention to this thread.

A third one. Will you have Onmyouji's in this ? Or can that be discussed?
1. Gods? No. Minor gods? Maybe. You may mention gods in backstory if your youkai is a follower or something but otherwise no gods.

2. Still being discussed and fleshed out. So far we've decided that the 'villains' opening up Hell are being manipulated to do so.

3. Can be discussed, was thinking of having a few humans that grew up inside the barrier and have powers of their own :o
@Sen Would a Hoo be acceptable? If not, I'm looking at other things for my Yokai, but it's so pretty. :>

Hoo
Takiyasha hime
Tennyo
Houou is fine. Phoenix bird person, sounds good 8)

There's a fair bit of stuff on that site that extends to things that are only loosely Yokai, and I'm unsure if Tennyo are exactly Yokai. That site even has Asuras, Qilin and the Four Guardian Beasts of China, which are... uh... not exactly yokai, last I checked.

Some media featuring Yokai might add beings that are not stated to be yokai in their tales and feature them as yokai. For instance, Zen from Nurarihyon no Mago isn't based on a yokai, if we're going by a more traditional definition.
Yes, they're more spiritual creatures in Buddhist scriptures. However, I'll include them as well as other mythological creatures like the kirin/qilin. Those options are free for anyone to use if they wish :o

Like I said I'm open to the idea of more 'western' supernatural creatures like werewolves as well, youkai in this roleplay will just be a loose term for supernatural beings rather than exclusive Japanese folk creatures.

• Thank You
Reactions: Crow and envogue
1. Gods? No. Minor gods? Maybe. You may mention gods in backstory if your youkai is a follower or something but otherwise no gods.

2. Still being discussed and fleshed out. So far we've decided that the 'villains' opening up Hell are being manipulated to do so.

3. Can be discussed, was thinking of having a few humans that grew up inside the barrier and have powers of their own :o

Houou is fine. Phoenix bird person, sounds good 8)

Yes, they're more spiritual creatures in Buddhist scriptures. However, I'll include them as well as other mythological creatures like the kirin/qilin. Those options are free for anyone to use if they wish :o

Like I said I'm open to the idea of more 'western' supernatural creatures like werewolves as well, youkai in this roleplay will just be a loose term for supernatural beings rather than exclusive Japanese folk creatures.
Ah.. Thank you for the answers

And I assumed this was going to be only Yokai from japanese folklore since you specifically mentioned them in your first post. So it's more supernatural in general rather than just specific japanese monsters/deities.

Hm would be interesting to have omnyouji's in this too.

Btw, you wouldn't mind me making a ghostly flame/yokai called Akurojin-no-hi? Currently thats what I plan on making but it could change in the future.

3f3cf5a8-0e64-4582-8986-21b6e626f569.gif

Me rn.

Reactions: Mu
  • Love
Reactions: Mu and envogue
Ah.. Thank you for the answers

And I assumed this was going to be only Yokai from japanese folklore since you specifically mentioned them in your first post. So it's more supernatural in general rather than just specific japanese monsters/deities.

Hm would be interesting to have omnyouji's in this too.

Btw, you wouldn't mind me making a ghostly flame/yokai called Akurojin-no-hi? Currently thats what I plan on making but it could change in the future.
All good with the Akurojin-no-hi!

And as for why I'm including Western creatures, its because if we're looking at a modern Japan, stories from other countries would surely be a thing there. Fear born from those = youkai come to life!

Reactions: xLarius
My gal is gonna have a kiseru >:3

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: junebug
I really need to find an appropriate picture for my bird lady, because I'm pretty sure she's not gonna be a bird most of the time.

I'd like to express an interest in the role-play, if you all are fine with that.

Reactions: Mu
I really need to find an appropriate picture for my bird lady, because I'm pretty sure she's not gonna be a bird most of the time.
Google for "Ho-oh Gijinka" and "Ho-oh moemon."

I'm pretty darn sure Ho-oh (the pokemon) was inspired by Hoo, and gijinka/moemon are usually humanoids.

• Love
Reactions: envogue
Google for "Ho-oh Gijinka" and "Ho-oh moemon."

I'm pretty darn sure Ho-oh (the pokemon) was inspired by Hoo, and gijinka/moemon are usually humanoids.

Ooo. I really like that. Clearly my character should have red, or vibrant hair and features.