• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
4C6vkP3.jpg

Dorman Keeper was the owner of Taper Inn. A long single-story building, once a butcher's storage and preparation lodge for meat being cured for shipping or sold to ship cooks. Dorman converted the place 23 years ago. Before that, he'd been a sailor in the navy. He never made much money and his family struggled to survive. His sailing career ended after a pirate attack killed most of his crew, and left the rest for dead. The attack crippled him, plummeting him into years of drinking, nightmares, and the inability to support his wife and sons. Then a riot occurred on Harbor Island, one that spread from the backwater town to the main interior, started by a gang of pirates. Dorman lost his family to them. It sent him into an addiction for opium, and a switch flipped in his mind. Though he managed to keep sane enough to run the Taper Inn, anyone who was a sailor, pirate or not, learned to stay well enough away lest they'd be accused of being one and chased out of the inn by sword-point. Or worse.

Jack knew all this, of course. But he decided to go in anyway, because that's what you do when you're desperate. He sat before Dorman Keeper in a tiny "office", twisting a cigarillo between his lips while resisting the urge to place a hand on one of his butterfly swords. Dorman's bodyguard loomed behind Jack; a mountain of man complete with round, boulder features and expressionless eyes. Occasionally, he released an earth-shattering sneeze that sent shivers down Jack's spine.

"Allergies," the bodyguard had said, in way of explanation.

"My sympathies," Jack had replied politely, and lit his smoke.

Now, Jack sat uncomfortably across from Dorman Keeper with nothing but a bench converted into a table between them, as the old man glared with dilated pupils and twitchy movements. He grabbed a tin plate and spat black spittle into it. Jack was careful not to react. The inn keeper wiped his mouth, and finally spoke. "You want work here. That's right."

"Yes."

"Not a question! Why?"

Jack tapped loose ashes from his cigarillo, earning a growl from the inn owner. He swallowed. "No one else has work for me. They say they already have cooks, or don't have the money to afford one of my caliber."

"Good food brings in good money. Everyone knows that." Dorman claimed.

Jack lifted his hands helplessly. "What can I say? That's what they told me. Listen, I am a simple man before you looking for decent work. I swear to you, you'll be astonished by my skills and let me tell you, have you ever heard of a broth--"

"How do you pay?"

Jack blinked. "Uh. Beg your pardon?"

Dorman glared and folded his arms. "You said you've been here three months, that's right. You're a lowly cook with proper pay on a privateer's ship. You had no work since. How do you pay for food and lodgings?"

Crap. Jack tapped his foot. When lying, it's always best to tell half-truths. "Honestly, you must understand, times have been hard for me. I've had to resort to measures I'd never dreamed of--"

"Pirate!" Dorman suddenly shouted.

"What? No! What makes you say that?" Jack asked.

Dorman was turning red in the face as he leaned over his bench-table and jabbed a finger at Jack.

"Pirate! I knew it! I could smell it on you, that's right! Tiki, get this curr out of here!"

"Now, just a moment, good man," Jack tried to beg.

The mountain-like bodyguard, Tiki, stretched out an arm and made to cuff Jack in the head. Jack ducked beneath the big man's swing, then pivoted on his heel and landed a punch on the man's right rib. They both froze for a moment. Jack felt pain shake up his arm, only to realize the weird vibrations was Tiki chuckling. "Good try," he said, in way of apology.

Tiki opened the door of Taper Inn and threw Jack into the muddy street. The pirate cook groaned, sporting a bruised cheek and bloody nose, and did not bother to get up. I'm loosing my edge, he thought. I couldn't even convince a half-brained old man I wasn't a pirate.

He sighed. I miss being on a ship.

On the far side of the street, Jack heard voices.

"Thorn! Milady Thorn!"

Thorn? He knew that name. That was the female fighter, the champion of Circus Portum Insula. Holder of 55 swords. Jack owed his survival for the last three months to her. All the money he'd managed to scrounge were bets on her matches, made with the ringmaster, and under-the-table. Great, I must have missed her match. Now I'm utterly broke! He moaned internally.

Pushing his head down, he looked at the people upside-down. One was certainly Thorn. A man caught up with her, the one who must have shouted out. He was blonde and obviously a pirate, if his clothes were any indication. Jack frowned. Glancing further down, he saw a collection of tough-looking people tailing behind. One was a giant with red hair. Another, their captain Jack presumed, was a one-eyed woman. Rolling over, he slowly stood up as they lingered behind their comrade talking with Thorn. Wait. I know them. I've heard stories describing these people. StarDusk, right? I thought they were killed off a couple years ago...

Curious, Jack dipped into the shadows of the street, and ventured closer.

Reactions: Mizos and Capt. Blu
Collab: Capt. Blu and @Eastwood
25c9KoT.jpg

250ruac.jpg

There wasn't much time to agree or disagree with the plan because the guards were getting closer- not to start a fight, but to rush them off the scene. If they were caught fraternizing and taking bribes, they'd surely be kicked off the Tilean force.

"Dibs- Oi, Ray wait- annnd he's gone." The captain looked over at Alicia and laughed. "How's he gonna learn if he doesn't make a few mistakes?" Fortunately, the heavy crowd was clearing fast, making it easier for the pirate crew to follow. The closer they got to the main hub, the cleaner the streets got. The common street thug turned into random civilians and tourists walking by. Unfortunately, the clear path also began to get crowded once more. Voices called back and forth in two languages and Runali only understood one. However it was obvious by the flailing gestures they were attempting to beckon the people towards their stalls. There were rows of stalls too, ranging from food to portable weapons and while it wasn't as flashy as Utsukushi, it had its own cultural flair.

"We always end up in the tourist parts of towns. It's a surprise we never go bankrupt in places. Then again, most of the tourist parts are right at the docks. A good method to get people interested to say the least."

The crew had been to several places, but most weren't as secluded as this archipelago. Everything was traded amongst the group of islands and most spoke in their native Tilean language. It was almost a surprise that anyone actually knew English. But of course, it was the only way to get tourists' attention so accommodations had to be made somewhere.

The closer they got to the harbor, the more crowded it became as more ships docked. "Aw man, I lost him." Alicia had already quickened her pace and was ahead of all three of them. "Hey Kadi, Luro, happen to see our ice-ssassin anywhere?" The last thing she saw was him, walking away with the fighter and disappearing into the crowd.

"Excuse me, Thorn was it?"

Sara's eyes flicked with the arrival of the newest stranger, and they widened, drinking in the sight before her. This woman was different, not a street walker like she expected if they were all part of the same crew, but someone who knew how to take care of themself. This woman was a fighter, Sara rationalized, but how good? Her stance, that polite yet confident tone, even looking at her base movements, all these things Sara observed and watched, all done in the span of a short few seconds. She didn't have enough data to come to any real conclusions, she needed more. She turned her head toward the sight, loudly proclaiming "Feh! I don't talk with the monkeys, I'll only talk to your organ grinder!". Her one visible eye swiveled around, just to observe her reaction to such disdain.

It was a few minutes, but both Ray and Thorn returned to view, one leaving the table where the other was left. Right after, Alicia managed to stop the fighter from escaping as well. "There you are- What happened iceman, you look a bit steamed." Glancing over at Thorn, she noticed her angry expression as well. "What did you do?" Runali smacked Ray's shoulder before maneuvering through the crowd to slip in front of Thorn before she could storm off after speaking with Alicia. "Hi. Nice to meet you! I'm captain of the Stardusk crew and I see you've met that dashing gentleman of ours, as well as the ever talented swordswoman. Glad Ray could… break the ice for us. Makes for an easier introduction, don't you think?" She grinned and held out her hand for Thorn to shake. "Your fight out there was really…" Her voice trailed off for a moment. "Actually, it wasn't that great at all. Boring actually. It was like watching someone spar a training dummy that could only yell. Sucked for that other guy but hey, at least you won, right?"

Sara's expression was that of stone, with only her right eye twitching ever so slightly. Could this day get even worse? Slowly, she reached out to take her hand, gripping it slightly. Then, her grip turned that of iron in an instant and, with a yank of her arm, drew Runali closer, with Sara leaning in closer to her ear. "Listen." She hissed once again. "I will never sell myself like this, and I will certainly not sleep with you or anyone else in your scortoruum cohortem, you impudens es leno!"

Runali was already prepared for the woman's anger based off her expression alone, so when she was yanked forward, her foot came forward to steel her balance. "Hey, I was just being… honest…" The more this 'Thorn' woman hissed, the more confused Runali got. "Wait." She held her free hand up, pausing to understand why Thorn was so upset.

It only took a moment for her to realize the mistake, but instantly after she began to laugh. "You think I want-" In between laughs, she pulled her hand free from Sara's grip, seemingly unphased by it. "Did Raymond ask- Actually, that's not my business. Listen, the last thing I want you to do is sleep with any of us. Frankly, I think that's a terrible idea. No! No, no, no, I wanted you to join my crew! We're pirates. How could you possibly mistake this band of...misfits, as a travelling brothel?" She was still laughing at the misunderstanding. "You seem way too experienced to be doing petty fights for chump change. So, why not join us? Not like you've got better things to do, yeah?"

Sara could only stare blankly, the gears in her head slowly starting to turn. In her anger, her perception had dimmed and, with a calm mind, she saw how many weapons they were all carrying, their idle stances, even the way the captain saw the pull coming. "Ohhhhh." She said, the realization finally dawning upon her, her terrible mood clearing practically immediately. She leaned over the side and waved at the blonde. "Sorry stucalto!" Sara said, grinning nonchalantly before turning back towards Runali. There was something else in that sentence, pirates. An idea started to germinate in her head, a thoughtful expression on her face. "If you are pirates." She asked. "Then how high are your bounties?"

Runali nodded as Thorn finally caught onto what they were about, letting her get her surprise out of the way. Though the moment she asked about their bounties Runali's one eye lit up. No one ever asked about their bounties. She never got to brag about it, nor did she keep up with it. "Oh! Luro, you've got those wanted posters right?" With a thanks as he pulled them out, she set them down on the nearby table and spread them out in one swipe. "I can assure you, they're higher than what you've ever made in those things you call a 'fight'." There was a smug look on her face as she watched her expression.

Sara's eyes widened slightly at the magnitude of their worth. Twelve and a half thousand on it's own would be more than enough to build a life but all those bounties put together? A flash of greed showed through her expression. "Alright, fine." She said, leaning back and folding her arms. "I'll join, on one condition. Send your best fighter and fight me in the arena! If you win, I'll gladly join your crew, even get the same stupid tattoos. But if I win, I get to claim all your bounties." She leaned back, grinning at the whole crew.

'I'll join' was all the captain had to hear for her to grin and hold her hand out for the agreement to be settled. The rest that followed was of little importance. The idea of her collecting their bounties would have made her laugh had she not been excited about a new crew member. They were pirates! Like hell, they'd willingly give themselves up. But the Thorn woman didn't have to know that.

"So you're a new Stardusk. Neat, we've got another one!" With a nonchalant shrug she added, "Aye, sure. I mean, I'll let you fight one of my crew if you really want to lose that badly." Looking back at her crew, she scratched her head. "Actually, they're all pretty great at what they do. It's why they're my crew. Hadn't really thought about anyone being the 'best'. Hm… Oh, I know! Sword for sword." Runali snapped her fingers and looked at her swordswoman with a hopeful gaze. "Alicia, you don't mind showing her how to use a sword right? I mean," Once more, her gaze turned to Thorn. "Unless you and Ray had something going? Seems like you two really hit it off after all."

When Runali pointed out Alicia, Sara's eyes narrowed and flicked towards the crew member, tension filled the air. Her eyes were once taking in everything she had, her clothes, her stance, even the way she breathed, all these things observed and cataloged. "No." She said, rather cooly. "She'll do just fine." Sara turned to face Runali again and shook her hand firmly. "Go back to the arena master in a few hours, tell him you got a fighter for the sundown fight. I'll see you then."

"A few hours? Aw man I was more thinking of a right now deal but I guess we can wait till then. Alright guys, let's-" Not too far away, a pair of navy soldiers passed them, not paying too much attention to their surroundings. The captain handed their wanted posters back to Luro and nodded. "Let's be on our way. Ray still owes us drinks! We should get them now before he wastes them on some other lady."

As the crew left, Sara stared after them, her gaze still entirely on Alicia, until they eventually disappeared. She sat there, quiet and still, for a few minutes before taking out her newly-acquired cutlass. It was a corroded hunk of garbage that looked like it was about to break, but that didn't matter to her, as she started to gently sharpen the metal, focusing on thinning the area closest to the hilt, just dragging her whet stone over it again and again.

Last edited:
The loped off head made an elegant twirl as it sailed through the air. The sudden surprise of the man who realized his ass was definitely not able to cover the check his mouth and bravado wrote was frozen into the facial features. "Undeniably until one cannot physically continue anymore..." Arcadius muttered under his breath darkly. He was, for some reason, reminded of Master Lagralus, from back home in Wisegrad. Wisegrad... the place almost feels like something out of a fairy tale, at this point, doesn't it, Arcy, the Navigator thought for himself. Lagralus was a renowned swordmaster in Wisegrad's military ranks, despite the missing arm. Legend, which the man made no effort to pronounce untrue, said he cut the arm off himself, when he met opponent who's own arm was crippled, to even the odds. How does an arm, severed from body, feel, I wonder? Or... do I know it already? Suddenly, he felt so damn cold.

"Was it a waste of life, Alicia? The man simply faced results of his actions, made of his own free will. I'd argue it was quite the opposite, a true justification of life in that man's death. Shame such a wonderful death was tainted by it being caused by foolish hubris and arrogance. Were the man more of a swordsman, and less of a..." Before he finished the sentence, he noticed he was talking to noone, sans for a small child, looking at him like he was some monster that had a day off from hiding under a bed. "Damn it all," he muttered under his breath and hurried to catch up with the rest of the crew.

Just as he approached the group, Luro turned around, with a grin on his face, and pointed at Arcadius. The general commotion and hum of the dispersing crowd made Luro hard to hear, only something about docking. "What, Luro?" Arcadius shouted back. "You damned rapscallion, I can dock at any harbor I choose to!" With Luro, presumption of insult to one's faculties, skills, or mother was a safe bet.

Before he could finally ask Luro what the hell was going on, Alicia returned with the gladiator woman in tow.

"Oh, are we..." he trailed off, somewhere in the background of the conversation.
"What? We're not cohort of scrotums..."
"...travelling brothel? Now, that's a business idea..."

When the order 'to the pub' was given, and the group left Thorn in the marketplace, Arcadius caught up with Runali. "Cap, two things. First, since we have essentially orchestrated a girl fight, pleasedontdecapitatemeAlicia, and since we, frankly, know who will win, we should consider gaming the betting system somewhat and placing a large bet on the Blossom of Yula-Fei. Second, I have... a... request... on all of you, which I'd like to discuss... ideally after certain modicum of alcohol consumption..."

Reactions: Capt. Blu
jj37lg.jpg

The reply from the gladiator caused Alicia to raise her brow slightly, the usual stoic yet serene nature holding firmly against the insult. Though many believed otherwise, Alicia did have the capacity for a temper and had certainly shown as such when she was younger. Such emotion was a rarity for the swordswoman now, requiring certain criteria for it to be brought out of her. Never the less Alicia wasn't above the use of her wit, "I apologize, I did not know a monkey was a challenge for you" she quipped before Runali arrived from behind her, causing her to turn and offer a small smile to her captain.

She remained silent as they spoke, her brow only raising once more when the mention of a fight. Alicia's eyes held on Runali for a moment to be sure of what she was being asked before her gaze moved onto Sara, "I accept the challenge" she replied simply. She would recall the incident with Shouta for a moment, how underestimating her opponent had brought dishonor to herself and the crew, 'Never again' she thought to herself, her brows knitting together for a moment before looking to Runali and giving a single nod. "Remember when I mentioned trouble... " she allowed a smirk to form on her features before she turned to leave,

Alicia didn't really drink and even if she could she certainly wouldn't be with the fight being no longer than two hours away. The swordswoman shot an unamused look to Kadi when he referred to the duel as a 'girl fight' before rolling her eyes as he quickly asked her not to take his head. "Betting on the duel wouldn't be a bad idea, I certainly do not intend to lose" she said softly with a small smile. She'd seen first hand what becomes of the loser and it was not a fate she would accept for herself, she'd came to far to lose sight of her ambition now. Alicia looked back to Kadi as he mentioned wishing to discuss something with them.

11ce6hj.jpg
Luro followed his captain trying to catch up to Ray though he kept getting distracted by the stalls especially the ones carrying portable weapons, if not for the captain speaking to him and Kadi he would have wandered over to them. Turning he took a quick look around only to shake his head seeing no sign of Ray anywhere. He knew he didn't need a wingman but he didn't have to rush ahead like that, at the very least he could have wrote some pointers down for him and Kadi. There was something different about seeing it firsthand than hearing about it.
"I'm not sure captain but it was cold of him to just leave us like that," Luro said moving his hands to his hips. "I'm sure he's-oh wait there he is."
Luro raised a hand to Ray but seeing there wasn't a tall lady with muscles on his arm he slowly lowered it, blinking a few times he looked over at Kadi and pointed at Ray.
"Kadi...this is impossible. Ray failed, did something happen, did you forget how to read maps? Did Nolan make a bad meal somewhere? Is Alicia feminine now?! Something is horribly wrong here Kadi!"
Luro looked back at the woman named Thorn only to see Alicia approach to try and speak with her, after a few moments Luro walked up to Ray and put a hand on his shoulder as their captain approached her.
"You underestimated Alicia's manliness Ray, she did much better than you did. Better be careful or you'll stop being second place, end up behind Kadi. He got some action recently maybe he should represent us next time," Luro said arching a brow at his comrade.

Luro listened to the conversation between his captain and Thorn, he folded his hands behind his head leaning from side to side as the captain tried to work her magic on Thorn, it didn't seem to be going very well. She also seemed to yell something at them in some language, he looked over at Kadi as he seemed to respond to it.
"You can understand gibberish Kadi? You'll have to teach me, I deal with it all the time in taverns," Luro said nodding at him before looking back at Thorn.
Hearing what she assumed they were talking to her about Luro brought a hand to his stomach and leaned forward a bit as he laughed trying to catch his breath in between. He eventually took a deep breath in and straightened himself wiping a small tear from his eye, the fact Thorn seemed much calmer was good too but he looked over at Ray and pat him on the shoulder.
"Ray you went right to that, you know better than to just whip it out," Luro said grinning at him.
Removing his hands he moved them in front of him like he was holding a box then moved them over as he spoke.
"First you lie then you whip it out, you know how this goes Ray. Messing up the order...I'm a little worried about you," Luro said crossing his arms over his chest.
When their bounties were brought up Luro was already pulling out his box, he kept a constant record of everyone's bounties both on his person and in his head, it was always good to know just how much people wanted to kill them, it made fights more entertaining. Watching Thorn's expression change at the size of the bounties Luro grinned a little, getting to brag a bit about how much they were worth was fun.
Hearing Thorn's deal for joining Luro closed his hands into fists and had to hold back a bit of his excitement almost hugging the woman.
"I like this lady captain, I love that idea!" Luro said throwing his fist in the air. "Oh oh let it be me!"
When Alicia was chosen a small whine escaped from Luro as he lowered his arm, he started to say something but closed his mouth as he looked over at Alicia and Thorn, feeling the shift in the air he felt a small chill run up his spine, he could feel the excitement well up in his body just watching the two stare each other down.
"...getting flashbacks to Utsukushi," Luro said bringing a hand to his head.
He lowered his hand and gripped his chest a small smile forming on his face, this was going to be a good fight, he could feel it in his bones. At the mention of drinks Luro was already walking away from the scene pointing at the nearest tavern and trying to pull Ray so he'd hurry.

"So we get to watch a good fight and gamble this is going to be great, I'm going to buy every weapon in the stalls." Luro said once they were in the tavern. "Also I'm not sure what you really mean with that Modi word you said Kadi, but if you wanna talk while drinking I'm all ears. We don't gotta drink for you to ask a favor though, you already know I'm going to help...don't gotta be drunk for that...I mean...I normally am...I think...am I...Kadi am I drunk I think I am..."
Luro looked at the owner and raised his hand before pointing down to the spot in front of him.
"I'd like twenty rums to start me off, I held back today since my friend was buying so I only had six. I need to drink until Alicia and Kadi start looking good, not in that order."

Ray was about to explain to the Captain that Thorn clearly wasn't worth their time before she just went up to the gladiator and introduced herself. As soon as Thorn protested, Ray realized his mistake and groaned, cradling his face in his palm. It took the Captain a few more moments to connect the dots.

"Did Raymond ask- Actually, that's not my business." Ray flushed, mortified at being made a fool of in front of his Captain. "Feth take me now..." He moaned softly. He only scowled in response to Thorn's grinning apology. Whatever you're saying sounds like an insult. Ray could only throw his hands up in frustration when she asked about the Stardusks' bounties. "Oh, now you're interested in my bounty?"

When asked if he had any issues with letting Alicia fight Thorn, he shook his head. "Nope, the mood has been thoroughly ruined. Fight away. Besides, we could use some easy money," He referred to Kadi's planned bet, "Especially since I'll be scraping the barrel for drinks." He upended his purse and only a handful of coins came out; his stolen purse was nearly empty as well after buying food for Thorn. "I suppose I could lighten some pockets on the way there, but I'd prefer not to attract more attention on us before the fight. Maybe we could start a tab.... On that note, Kadi, could I get in on this bet of yours and for an absolutely unrelated reason borrow some money?" He gave the navigator a grin before Luro came over and cajoled, or just chided him on his handling of the situation. "Yes, Luro," He said ruefully, taking his sword back from him, "apparently the direct approach would have worked best... assuming by 'whip it out' you mean my sword. Come on, let's see what we can do to liquor you up."

Reactions: Capt. Blu and Mizos
A collab between Arc and Captn. Blu

lYQbT8O.jpg

250ruac.jpg

Runali walked along side the navigator, leaning on his shoulder. "Oh, no question about it! We're definitely betting on Alicia- thank you for agreeing to the fight by the way." She saluted the swordswoman before looking over at Luro. "You can fight her next time. I promise! Or you can fight the next person that wants to challenge us. Whichever comes first." She then waved her hand dismissively towards Alicia's remark. "I've got no doubt in your skill- in any of your skills for that matter. It's why you're my crew! And this bet will practically be a steal!" Well, it was a steal. They were pirates. They stole a lot.

Kadi's remark about needing to talk sounded serious so she paid a little more attention while they traveled down the busy roads. "Well, yeah of course. We're a crew, what kinda crew can't talk- drunk or not for that matter? Besides, I'm sure this request can't be any worse than going to an island of traps. Which, to be fair was kinda fun- minus the you getting injured part of course."

Unsurprisingly, Luro was the one to find the tavern first and everyone followed his lead. Runali fell in step with Alicia and Kadi, while Ray had to deal with Luro trying to order the entire bar. She would have joined in on the celebratory drinks, but she decided that it would be much more of a celebration when their new crew member could join them in a tavern. The captain also suspected that Alicia wouldn't be participating with the rowdy drunks either, so she'd need the company as well.

"You know, we could probably double our earnings betting anyone to out drink Luro. We'd make a fortune faster than any treasure could offer." She chuckled. "Then again, we could bet on him in a lot of things and get rich. I mean, it's certainly better than a travelling brothel."

"Aye, Capn'. A bet on Luro is, in many way, a more interesting investment than portable brothel," Kadi said absent-mindedly as they passed the front door of the bar. He managed to get a glance at the name of the institution, noticing it was called "The Port Authority". For an establishment of vice and intoxication, it certainly had a strange look, which quickly gave away that that the building was in fact, the old port authority office building, from times when there was some authority held over the port.

Inside, the main bar area was made from the front desk, where once captains and quartermasters would fill out their paperwork. The line of clerk's booths was remodeled into a long bar table now, manned by a squad of, for the lack of a lower, more vulgar word, barkeeps, serving cheap drinks in questionably cleaned glasses, tankards and mugs. "Just the kind of Luro's place, it seems…" What the place lacked in world-class quality, however, it made up with rich atmosphere and almost deafening buzz of a fifty people talking at once. Well, if nothing else, we can talk without being afraid of being overheard, I suppose. Small favours, Kadi thought.

"Any place serving drinks is Luro's kinda place. Then again they don't even have to be serving it. He'd just take it." Instead of heading to the long bar table where a crowd of impatient drunks were starting to form, Runali took the clearest table. It looked safe enough from trouble, but with her crew around that was a flip of a coin. She just hoped no one started a bar fight. The more interesting of activities besides getting into trouble was people watching. Nearby there was a man passed out dangerously close to falling out of his chair. At another table not too far from them was a small group gambling on some game. It was hard to tell exactly what the game was, but it was obvious they were drunk attempting to do so. It looked kind of like a card game- or maybe they were arm wrestling, who knew.

Runali rested her head in one hand and watched one barkeep maneuver through the crowds in order to get to the tables. She waited for a minute, letting Ray and Luro make their way to the table with their drinks in tow. Turning to Kadi she spoke loud enough for the crew to hear. The closer proximity helped. "So, you've got our attention. You've got Luro's interest. What's troublin ya Kadi?"

"Well, you see," the Navigator said, leaning back on his chair and looking at the ceiling above them. Suddenly, he felt unsure about saying out loud his request. Three beams vertically, one horizontally, one nail missing. Well. Guess that's that pretending to be amateur building inspector. "You see," he continued, staring onto the ceiling. He just didn't felt like meeting anyone's gaze. Not yet, anyway. "I have… a something, an unfinished business, you might say. From my past."

He recalled Captain Smoliska talking to the slimy bastard. Making deals, behind the back of his officers and crew. "As you all know, you found me during a rather… unpleasant situation. Marooned in a rowboat, after Karalean sank. I would like to rectify that act. The ship was sunk unjustly, I feel. The lives of the crew were not yet earned by the sea." He slowly sat up straight, looking at the faces of the crew, one by one. Looking for traces of ridicule, hate. Wondering what they were thinking. "After our previous ship sank, I spent certain modicum of time researching a way of bringing back the dead. There are… options. Now, I can elucidate more on the subject and my plan, but the kingpin question is this: I need a ship to travel under the sea, and a crew that is willing to follow me past the confines of common rules of mortality. I can't promise much in the way of loot, but along they way, you will see the most terrifying and brilliant things this world has to offer. I ask whether you are willing to help me commit revenge on one man's foolishness, and lessen the sorrow in this world?"

The captain listened intently, replaying the day they found Kadi floating at sea in her head. It was the same day they were headed to Yula Fei and she wondered if Kadi would have ended up joining the crew without a war to encourage his decision. It didn't matter too much, he was a Stardusk now and that's what mattered.

"Unfinished business?" She echoed more to herself than to the crew. Before she made the assumption that Kadi had the sudden urge to leave the crew, she listened. Her brow raised towards the mention of bringing back the dead, but she stayed silent nonetheless, letting the navigator finish his thought.

After a moment's pause of thinking over the request, she steepled her fingers. "It wasn't in my plans to… play at death's door again- not after the Davy encounter." She recalled telling him the incredulous tale once before about them all dying and seeing Davy Jones in person, but even still sometimes it was hard for her to believe it herself. The dead pirate made it very clear that they weren't getting any second chances like the one they had before. "As a captain, it is kinda apart of the job to prevent you guys from heading straight for death's door. And I may have missed the mark a few times. However," Runali leaned back in her chair and looked at all of them before looking at Kadi once again. "You all have your own personal lives, vendettas, goals and whatever else that I won't stop you from doing. And of course I'm not gonna turn down a member of the crew in their time of need. That would be completely unfair of me! I mean, we literally went to war for Alicia. You were there, it was a blast. Or you know, a cold chill for others." She nodded over to Ray with a laugh. "I dunno if Luro's readied Lady Luck for under sea travel, but you tell us this plan of yours and we'll be glad to help. That is of course if everyone's up for the trip?"

She glanced around the bar for a moment before adding. "And it's also probably a better idea for us to be able to hear your plan so best to save that for when we're back on the ship."

The Navigator nodded. "Aye, the details of the plan are not suited for daylight. Suffice to say, though, the party engaged is not Davy Jones. The force we might have to deal with and struck a bargain with is actually an antithesis to that man," he explained, and looked around to make sure noone was listening. Certain ideas were… unsafe to conceptualize, especially when you had no idea who could be eavesdropping. "I'll explain fully later. Now, since I have not foolishly spent my money wooing women of questionable reputation, grog, grog, grog," he said, pointing to Runali, Ray and Luro in quick succession. "And… cranberry juice?" he stopped, looking quizzically at Alicia. Should no objections be made, he'd get up and return shortly with plate holding four tankards and one tall, clear glass with small umbrella and straw. The tankards were on fire, and the glass was full of rich red liquid."It would seem local culture is moved towards consuming fermented forms of the wine, rather than sugar cane, base variety. I am not entirely sure what this is, but the chap at the bar lit lit the tankards, and I decided to not have any objections. And I got wine juice for Alicia. I have no idea what is the point of the small umbrella, though. I would wish us all good health as a toast, but… the stuff we will be drinking is on fire. It seems inappropriate."

The strongwine, after the first rush of heavy and hot disinfectant taste vanished, would have aftertaste full of pine resin, cinnamon and clove. The wine juice was just as heavy, but chilled to perfection and sweet on taste, the kind of sweet that would remind of the hot summer days of yore, spent wandering around fields rich with crop on one side of the road, and forest full of wild, ripe berries on the other.

11ce6hj.jpg

Luro set one of his bottles down and looked over at Kadi and his captain as he grabbed another one, he was sure he heard his name and the word brothel come up but he had been too invested in his drink to pay attention. He set his empty bottles on the ground since they were sharing a table and so he'd avoid grabbing a finished one by accident, there were few greater sorrows than holding an empty bottle of rum. He slid one over to Ray however as he had paid for the drinks and it was only right to share with the man who bought them, even he had that much manners. When Kadi started talking again Luro looked over at him curious what he wanted to ask of them, he did worry a little if he'd able to understand if Kadi started using complicated words again. While Kadi seem to search for the right words Luro downed a few of his bottles holding one towards Alicia as they waited for the explanation.

When Kadi spoke of their first meeting Luro tilted his head and looked towards the ceiling, it took him a moment to recall their first meeting. Kadi was in the water after his ship had sunk, he was fighting sharks in the water one of them holding his sword in it's mouth, he was holding his own against them, locking swords with the shark using a piece of wood from the ship but he was slowly losing the fight. He got a few good hooks into the shark's brother taking him down but he was surrounded, seeing this Alicia jumped into the water running on top of it and cutting through the sharks saved Kadi. She then escorted him back to the ship. Luro gave a small nod remembering that day well. That sword carrying shark had a scar on his eye now because of Alicia and Kadi, he would come back for revenge one day, Luro knew it, Kadi wanting to go underwater was risky, that shark was going to bring his friends again.

"I don't really feel like bringing people back to life but as a pirate breaking rules is kind of our job, doesn't matter what kind they are," Luro said grabbing another bottle. "So I'll help ya with this Kadi, I mean you helped me with...uh...hm...I forget but I know you were there. Oh and I have plans drawn up for going underwater captain but I'll need time and materials, I'm still trying to figure out how to get it underwater without Ray drowning...I haven't got it yet but I have ideas."
He didn't seem to necessarily care what the plan was, from what Luro could tell Kadi wanted to put them in an extremely dangerous situation where there was no possibility of return, how could he say no to a situation like that.
"Don't worry about the loot Kadi, you buy the first round afterwards that's enough for me."

Luro gave a small nod in response to Kadi's suggestion of drink and took two of the bottles attaching them to his belt, he wanted to save those for when Alicia and Thorn went after each other. He learned to always have extra rum when it came to fights with Alicia. Once Kadi returned with the flaming drinks Luro's eyes widened and he took his with both hands staring into the fire, he wasn't sure what Kadi had just told him but all that mattered was he was about to drink fire.
"Kadi we're going to drink something's that's on fire, this is the best time for a toast like that! I'm sure fire is healthy somewhere, maybe where the captain's from."

250ruac.jpg

The captain stared at the fiery drink with a wide eyed expression. It was some mix of surprise and glee. "Gotta say, Luro's right. When'll we get to toast fire again?" She raised her glass to the rest. "Eh?" She looked over and gave Luro a shrug. "I mean, if it counts, where I'm from some believe in a god of fire. There's a lot of gods and goddesses where I'm from. But fire's a life and death, uh, symbol. Aye, and Kadi wants to test life and death so- yeah let's drink to that!" She toasted and drank in celebration of a new adventure and to a new comrade that'd be joining them soon enough. When Thorn joined they could just have another celebratory drink then too.

Hours always went by quick when it was filled with something to do. For the most part, the crew spent time in the tavern chatting and when they got bored of sitting around, a bit of exploration came next. The captain suggested not to go too far out into the island, but ultimately didn't care what they did so long as they stayed away from the navy. After the Kane'Artem incident, the crew ended up on some 'high priority' list to be captured. And while that was a big deal, she wondered why that didn't skyrocket their bounty to Worst Gen status- until of course she realized the navy thought Saffron, the first mate of a Worst Gen crew had lead the attack.

"I don't wanna make any quick escapes right now so try not to get into too much trouble!"

The captain in particular hovered around the tourist center, taking the time to learn a little more about the archipelago. Whether or not any of the crew followed was up to them, she didn't mind either way. Runali didn't have any intention to visit the rest of the islands, and considering nothing about them really caught her interest, she didn't change her mind. After their business on this 'Harbour Island' was done, they'd be leaving- which reminded her, they were there to get supplies as well. "Crud, I shoulda made a list…"

It was around three hours later by the time the crew had regrouped- or at least caught up with one another as they headed back into the more shady part of Harbor Island.

"There's an island here called Shark Island. I thought it was a place for sharks but it turns out it's a recruitment place for the soldiers here. What a waste."

They began to come into familiar territory and sure enough, that all too familiar announcer was lugging a table to a clear space. Not too far off, the arena and the audience area was empty. The crew was early. "Perfect timing." Runali took hold of Alicia's hand and pulled her along ahead of the group to catch up with the announcer. However when he didn't notice them, Runali let go of Alicia and light on her feet, she hopped onto the table as it was being set down.

"ACKK! What the hell!?" The announcer had fallen backwards and was currently dusting himself off, glaring the entire time. "What do you want!?"

The captain grinned and crouched down to meet his gaze. "You do last minute fights, yeah?"

"No." He said flatly and adjusted his coat.

"W-What? C'mon!" She pouted but quickly gestured towards Alicia. "Alright, alright. Hear me out will ya? We heard about that 'Thorn' lass and how she's the best of the best. Sound about right, yeah?" She took his silence as a 'yes'. "Well, I wanna make a gamble. And you look like a man who loves to test their luck." She ignored the scoff from him. "I say the lady here can prove you all wrong. That your 'best of the best' will… lose that winning streak of hers. I'll even place a bet on it. And as all bets go, I lose you get the money. I win-"

"I know how these bets work!" His voice was sharp, but Runali could tell he was a bit interested.

"Alright, alright! So, whaddya say? My… Maiden of Misery against that 'sword gathering' Thorn of yours?" To finalize her thought, she stood back up, still on the table, and dropped a pouch of coins in his hand.

The conniving gleam of a man in search of riches made Runali smirk a bit. He weighed the coins in his hand and then cleared his throat. "Well… I suppose I can make an exception this time. We do need… fresh blood for Thorn anyway." It was obvious he was already calculating how much he was going to make off this 'easy bet'. Thorn was undefeated. She was ruthless! She was unstoppable! And she was making him rich! He was going to enjoy taking the money of some random woman and her friend. "So be it. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two when it's over. Now get off of my table. There's more bets to be made." While he shooed Runali off, he gestured for Alicia to come to him so he could direct her where she needed to be. "Right, so when you hear your name you come out for the fight. Simple as that."

Before Alicia could leave, Runali hopped off the table and high fived her. "Maiden of Misery… Better than Bow Black, right? Aha, at least that one's on your wanted poster." She saluted the swordswoman and grinned. "Put on a good show for us! Don't bruise her ego… too bad."

Runali waited for the rest of the crew to place their bets, should they want to before finding a spot to once more lean over the wall that separated them from the arena a little ways below. The crowd was starting to form as well, with the announcer encouraging them to place their bets. Something about an easy win and feeling lucky.

"Let's hope they honor a lost bet." Them toting bags of coins to their pirate ship didn't sound like it would sit well with a crowd like this but… Well, that was a problem for future them. Now all that was left to do was wait for the announcer's shouts and for the fight to start.

jj37lg.jpg

Alicia had taken a few sparing sips from her drink after having thanked Kadi. She spent most of the time after that quietly thinking of the fight head and the possible outcomes. Despite her confidence in her ability her ability she could tell this wasn't going to be as straight forward as the rest of the crew was expecting. She was not expecting to lose by any means, that much she was firmly sure of, however no fighter has a win streak like that without having some kind of unique attribute, something which makes them a cut above the rest in physical prowess in combat. Alicia sighed and tried not to think to hard on it, raising the glass once more to her lips before taking yet another sip.

She listened as Kadi spoke, asking for their help on what felt like another visit to the locker. She had to admit the thought sounded like a bad idea, especially given the forces beyond were stronger than any of them could ever hope to be in their lifetimes. Regardless, Alicia inclines her head politely and replied, "Of course I will help you" she replied softly, "You were there in my time of need, I shall not be absent in yours" she gave a small smile before once again falling quiet, merely listening to the conversation as it carried on, offering her own insight here and there when appropriate.

Later when they made their way toward the arena Alicia's body suddenly jolted when Runali took her head and ran ahead toward the announcer, "Runali wait!" she said but a few short moments later they arrived. The exchange was easy enough and the announcer took their money without further complaint. Alicia rose her hand to ask a question before it was suddenly high five'd, causing the swordswoman to give the captain a flat look followed by a groan as she mentioned the name on her wanted poster, "They're both bad, I got two terrible nick names!" she complained. Alicia watched as her friends left for the spectator stands before heading to where she was being told to go by the arena hands.

'This should be... something'

25c9KoT.jpg

jj37lg.jpg

Arena - Dusk

The sun had finally set and the crowds filtered into the stands of the arena, muttering amongst themselves mutinously. The disappointment from the afternoon was still fresh on their minds. Torches were lit around the arena, the flickering shadows and dim light only added to the ambiance.

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" The arena master, once more, stepped out into the arena. "We have, for your delight and pleasure, prepared a most exquisite bout this evening, something that has not ever been seen on this island before!". By now, every member in the crowd was hooked on his words, the early transgression completely forgotten.

"In this side of the ring!" He bellowed, gesturing towards Alicia. "The challenger! The swordsman or, should I say, swordswoman of the Stardusk crew, the Maiden of Misery with a twelve thousand, five hundred dollar bounty, ALICIA TAAAAAAAAAAAASHIGI!

Alicia calmly stepped forward into the ring after her name had been called, giving a small exasperated sigh at the name given to her by the World Government. 'I do not like that name... ' she thought to herself before closing her eyes, steeling her mind and calming her thoughts in preparation for the imminent fight. It was the same deal as the fight back on Utsukushi as she'd have to win without killing Thorn, or the duel would have been for nothing. After all she was essentially fighting to win Thorn for the crew, a concept she wasn't overly pleased with but never the less it was what Runali wanted.

'Maiden of Misery?' Sara thought idly to herself. 'What an awful arena name.'

"And on the other side of the ring!!" The announcer bellowed out once more. "The champion for three years running at the Circus Portum Insula, the Holder of 55 swords, the Prodigal Daughter of Harbor Island! You all know her name, it's THORN!"

Sara stepped out into the arena, much more brightly than the start of her last fight. Truth be told, she was looking forward to this, if Alicia's movements weren't the results of a clever and convincing bluff. She waved to the crowd, smiling and playing them up. From her observations, she noticed that roughly a third of the crowd was openly supporting Alicia. Interesting, she thought to herself, but it wasn't anything to worry by. By the time she wins, those fans will be rooting for her again.

She came equipped with her spear, now unwrapped, with the head being made of that peculiar dull-silvery metal that was common in Tilea. Her short sword and shield were slung across her back, ready to be used and switched out in a moment's notice. Oddly enough, she carried the sword of her previous match up, tied by a loop around her waist, and it was still far too corroded to be used properly.

"Get ready!" The arena master, looking at the two and, after seeing they were about ready, stepped back. "Fight!"

Alicia 's eyes didn't move from her opponent as the start of the fight was called, the audience, fans and even her crew fading away from her mind as she focused in on Thorn. Alicia brought her hand to rest on her saya, her thumb pushing the guard up till it gave a small 'clink' which signaled its ready position. The swordswoman simply stood and waited, without word or movement implying she was about to attack. Perhaps she was curious to see what Thorn would do, or perhaps it was a tactic. They would soon find out.

It begins. Sara's own brown eyes matched that of her opponents, unwavering and focused. With the signal for the fight given, Sara sprinted towards Alicia, her spear at the ready. She charged at breakneck speed but with only a few feet left between them, Sara dropped her stance and slid on the sand with her foot out, as if to break Alicia's calves with her leg. But this was just a play, at the last possible second, Sara dug her spear into the sand, vaulting herself back to onto her feet and spraying Alicia's face with sand, all done at blistering speed. To follow up, Sara lunged three times at her chest, eager to capitalize on her early dirty trick.

When Thorn started her charge, Alicia gracefully brought her opposite hand to rest on the hilt of Shusui, it's power hungering for battle. Yet still Alicia stood firm and watched, one of her legs sweeping backwards in preparation to counter. The swordswoman quickly changed her footing when Thorn's spear hit the ground after her slide, the only warning she could see for what was about to happen. Unfortunately it was too late though, the dirt striking her eyes and blinding her vision temporarily

Her father, Akiyoshi hadn't neglected this as a possibility during her training and she distinctly remembered him lecturing her and Satia about how others may not respect the codes of honor like they do.

Alicia closed her eyes tightly to trap the dirt, to stop it from moving around her eyes causing further irritation and distraction, relying on her ears and the currents of the wind. She turned her body to the side, letting the first strike to pass by her before counter stepping the second. The wind changed ever so slightly, it's breeze feeding back information on the trajectory of Thorns strikes while her ears fed back her position.

Knowing she couldn't sidestep the third strike, her hand still clutching onto the hilt of her sword flicked, the sword arching out with the explosive force of a broadside cannon to deflect the spear away in a diagonal upward angle, placing her foot forwards with her heel facing Thorn before aiming a spinning back kick towards the gladiators chest in an attempt to force her back and make some room.

The dirt did its job but it was ultimately futile. Sara noticed that Alicia was perfectly capable of fighting without her vision, an innate talent or a skill developed, she wondered. All this and more was cataloged in her mind and, with it, a more complete picture of her opponent. What did catch her surprise though was the force of the strike, her spear almost slipping out of her grip because of it but she was prepared for what next. When Alicia switched stance like that, Sara knew what was coming and with her free hand, quite quickly, reached down to unsheathe her cutlass partially and twisted her body, with the flat of the blade absorbing some of the force and her body taking the rest of it. By standing her ground, Sara was still able to maintain a close proximity to her, albeit with no free hand. So, sheathing the blade and forcing Alicia's foot back onto the ground unsteadily, her spear at the side to block any counter strikes and reached with her now free hand to grab onto Alicia's kimono, before delivering a headbutt to her nose, knocking her back.

Sara stood back, her arms to the side, addressing the crowd just as much as to Alicia. "Come on! Is that the best you got?!"

Alicia soon discovered that physics were not on her side, as Thorn was able to hold her ground against the kick, responding with a quick headbutt. She managed to tilt her head just enough to avoid her having her nose broken, which it certainly would have had it landed on target, never the less she felt her head spin for a moment as she fell back, a foot sliding to catch her from falling over. 'Alright... that hurt' she thought to herself before her eyes opened, blinking the trapped dirt from her eyes. A red mark appeared on her face where Thorn's head landed, coloring against Alicia's fair skin.

Alicia had learned that this wasn't going to be an easy fight. She hadn't underestimated Sara, but at the same time she wasn't expecting her to be as capable as she was proving. Alicia extended the black blade to her side, it's presence unnerving as if it would cut you just for looking at it for extended periods of time. "Very well" she responded softly before she ever so slowly leaned forward. The swordswoman allowed only a small smile to reach her features before she seemingly blurred from her position, the wind swirling upwards from where she'd been standing as she arrived in front of Sara in the beat of an eyelid.

The blade became impossible to see as flurries of arching blows were thrown towards her at different angles, flashes of silver being the only indication of where the blade was as it were caught reflecting the light of the burning torches.

Sara never let her grin falter, not even under such a heavy onslaught. Despite her boasting, she was still very much prepared for this counterattack. Her spear danced alongside Alicia's, the sparks from the two contacting lit up their faces even in the dim light. Sara matched her opponent's engage, her spear blocking and parrying, even making a few strikes of her own. With the way her body moved, it seemed like Sara lacked any sort of technique but this wasn't to her detriment. Her motion of her body and spear was completely random with only the foundations of multiple techniques and it was because of this that made it so challenging to strike her down.

The lack of technique was what allowed Alicia to seize an advantage as they exchanged blows, learning from each strike as her eyes remained solely focused on hers. In a fraction of a second she would find her opening, parrying a blow and nimbly slipping through her defense to step behind the Gladiator. Her eyes narrowed as her left eye briefly lit up in a blue glow before she brought her blade hard into an upward slash to knock Thorn up into the air with an explosion of destructive wind, jumping after her before pulling her saya from her hip, using it as a blunt weapon to knock her back towards the ground. She'd land moments after her, falling into a crouch with both her sword and saya held outwards before bringing them together back at her side.

Sara saw Alicia slip past her, not too worried about it. She adjusted her stance so the shield loop around her back would take the blow, leaving Alicia open to a counter attack. But Sara was certainly was not expecting to be launched into the air before getting knocked down. As she landed with a hard oomph, even with the sand cushioning the fall, she rolled back onto her feet slightly winded, her eyes narrowed at her opponent. 'Supernatural abilities,' she thought to herself with disgust. Evidently, the Tilean crowd shared her disgust too, booing loudly at Alicia. Because of the stricter rules of the arena, she never actually fought against someone capable of such acts. In fact, as she thought about it, Sara never fought against another woman. Tonight was a whole new experience.

She stabbed the spear into the sand, anchoring it down and it hung upright. She drew the cutlass and held it in front of her. From what Alicia could see, the blade was not in a good enough condition to last more than a few strikes. Sara held it out, waiting for Alicia's next move.

The disgust of the crowd didn't appear to affect the swordswoman from Yula Fei. In her mind the etiquette of a duel was sullied when Thorn had thrown dirt in her eyes to earn an easy victory, not to mention the grab before the headbutt. No, Alicia was here to win and nothing more, if it required her to call upon The Power of Destruction, she would do so without hesitation. "Do not fear, this monkey is far from using her best" she said with a modicum of amusement in her voice, calling back to Sara's previous comment.

Sara could only smile back, she wasn't expecting trash-talk. "Oh, kitten's got claws?" She said, as she circled around him with her cutlass by her side. "Although, you really shouldn't talk, who wears a bathrobe to a duel? Besides." She readied herself. "Do you really think that hurt?"

She lashed at Alicia, multiple strikes stabbing and slashing through the air. But Alicia noticed something odd about the cutlass. For whatever reason, Sara had deliberately blunted the edge but left the point sharp. Thus, any slashes that might hit would only leave a very nasty welt.

Admittedly the condition of the cutlass did some what throw her off, especially when she noted the temper of the blade, from the blunt edges to the sharp tip. Despite the quality differences between their swords, Alicia wasn't about to make the mistake of underestimating the gladiator. A foolish swordsman placed the entirety of their faith in their weapon, one of her father's many quotes. Regardless she couldn't help but give Sara a flat look, "Bathrobe... really?" her sword even lowered for a moment as if she were some what disappointed by the joke before she shook her head. Alicia recomposed her stance before she began to casually walk forwards towards Thorn, her hand resting on the hilt once more.

Once she was in range she would wait for Sara to strike before unleashing a strong attack like before, though this time she was aiming to strike at the sword in order to destroy it, or at the least take it from her grip.

"Hey!" Sara called back a grin. "You're the one who decided to wear it!"

As Sara exchanged blows with Alicia, a horrible metallic screeching sound was emanated from the contact of the blades. As Alicia hoped for, her sword went through Sara's cutlass but not all the way through. Instead, the katana got stuck halfway through. She, at a huge risk to her fingers, blocked the katana at the base of the cutlass, where it was the thickest and at a slight angle in which it would be much more challenging to cut all the way through. Still though, it was one hell of a gamble but one that looked like it might pay off. With the katana stuck fast, Sara, gripping the blunt edge with her free hand, wrested the sword out of Alicia's hand and onto the floor, still stuck into the now useless cutlass. Both women were now completely unarmed. Sara, sensing her advantage, grabbed onto Alicia, picking her up before throwing her to the ground. Before she could get up, Sara pinned her down, straddling her waist and delivering blow after blow to Alicia's face with her right fist, the other hand holding her down. After a few punches, Sara stood up, circling her fallen foe as she rubbed her wrists. "How do you like the taste of your own blood?" She boasted, sneering down at her opponent. "First time you ever been hit?" Sara grinned as she reached around her back, upholstering her shield and sword and held it, awaiting Alicia's next move.

Alicia's brows raised when her sword became lodged in the metal of the cutlass, before in a matter of moments finding herself pinned taking punches. She was no fighter or brawler, sporting a lithe frame intended for speed which was why each punch hit hard, blood spilling from the corner of her mouth. When Sara stood, the swordwoman stood and dusted herself off, kneeling to retrieve her sword before standing up again. "You've had your fun" she said, raising her sword before flicking it against the ground, breaking the cutlass into fragments.

"But now it's time you joined us" Alicia raised her sword out to her side, inhaling as her eyes closed for a moment. When they opened again she exhaled, her left eye burning with a blue aura. It was the only visual remnant of Anduin who gave his soul to return her into the land of the living, sparing her from the locker of Davy Jones. This was the power of destruction, a power that resided within the Tashigi bloodline for generations of swordsmen and women.

Alica would slide her sword back inside it's saya for a moment before withdrawing it slowly, the blade itself taking on an aura, wisps of light trailing from the blade causing the torches of the arena to whip and flicker. She took a single step forwards before blinking from her spot like before, leaving a gust of wind and dust behind. She'd appear in flashes at different angles around Sara, seeming to faze in and out sight as she slashed cuts all over Sara's body.

'Great.' Sara thought to herself as light appeared to dance around Alicia's sword. 'More supernatural faex.' Much to Sara's credit, and the bright idea to sheathe her gladius and two-hand her shield, she was able to either dodge or block some of the hits either through luck or prediction. But not even she can compete with literal inhuman speed. By the time the onslaught was over, a multitude of small cuts openly bled all over her body, staining her clothes. A thought, half-way through, occurred to her and, with a mighty parry from her shield, she forced Alicia away and stepped back, hissing slightly with the pain.

"The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long!" She declared, unsheathing her sword and pointing it at her. "You can't sustain that form forever, your body can't handle it!" It was a bold prediction, and Sara needed to hear her reply.

After the parry she reappeared a short distance away, walking casually around her with her ignited eye trained on her still. Alicia's expression betrayed nothing of how she felt, seeming to be more focused than pleased or excited. To her own credit Alicia did well at remaining humble despite her prowess as a swordswoman. "You'll have plenty of time to learn my limitations once you join our crew" she replied simply before stopping to face her. Alicia knew she'd made enough cuts on her opponent to put her on a time limit, and she would wager that Thorn was also aware of it. Despite that knowledge, Alicia refused to let it end by running out the clock, she'd fought admirably and she would even go as far to say she fought better than most she'd come up against. If she was to win this fight she'd ensure the end to it was befitting her as a warrior.

"Suruki Ora Fell!" Alicia spoke in her native tongue as she would suddenly flash past Sara in a straight line, appearing at her other side with the intention of having cleaved her shield into two pieces. The strike would leave a white trail along where the blade had traveled before fading.

"The only way I'm joining is in a box!" Sara snarled, finally having enough. "I don't quit, I never quit!"

The strike might have broken lesser shields but this one was made out of ferrosteel, some of the finest steel that Tilea can offer. As the strike came, she simply tanked it, absorbing the blow with her body. She turned upon her and began the dance once more.

The two fought, with Sara refusing to falter despite her wounds. Each one fighting and occasionally finding a weak point to exploit. For Alicia, it was the opportunity to inflict more wounds that bled. For Sara, it was the chance to punch Alicia in the face, something which she took to with great relish. During one of their exchanges, Sara was even lucky enough to score a glancing hit on Alicia's shoulder.

But as time went on, their wounds and technique started to exhaust both of them. Sara, at this point, was down on one knee, panting heavily whilst still guarding. She looked pale and on the cusp of exhaustion. The more observant of the crowd could have sworn that she passed out, if only for a few milliseconds.

As for Alicia, she too was drawing heavy breaths, albeit she was still standing. The blood from earlier had dried and there were bruises appearing all over her from blows she'd endured. The ignited aura of her eye had dulled where she'd began to tire, unlike before when she burned brightly, demonstrating how potentially lethal she could be. "Your arrogance blinds you" she spoke as she looked down at the Gladiator, "Your stubbornness deafens you and your hubris silences your strength" Alicia took in a deep breath, her body aching from the physical exertion. "Learn humility, to respect life and you could be so much more than this" Alicia raised the tip of her blade towards Thorn, "I will ask only once. Will you surrender?".

As much as she hated to admit it, Sara was most likely going to lose this fight. The crowd, by this point, had blended into one big blurry amorphous blob and felt a chill run bone-deep through her entire body, despite being close to a lit torch. There was only one option, one path, towards that of victory. She considered and accepted the possibilities without another moment's hesitation.

Still though, she thought to herself, her only regret was that the crowd was not big enough but it will certainly be a finale to remember.

With nothing more than strength of her will, she forced herself to stand up, her shield resting on the ground and gladius in hand, staring down Alicia. She was covered in head to toe in blood, most of it hers, and in the flickering torchlight she looked quite terrifying. She tried to listen to Alicia, but it felt like cotton was surrounding her head, dampening and suppressing her senses. Sara could not understand a single word that Alicia was saying, but the vibe she got was that of her demanding surrender, to which Sara showed a bloody grin. "You have a terrible memory" She chuckled in between pained breaths, sword still at the ready, practically yelling the next line. "I. Don't. Quit!"

Alicia dropped her sword a little as Sara stood up and replied, exhaling a partly frustrated breath that the Gladiator was this stubborn. Alicia had fewer options than before, having to really consider her next moves in case she killed her, making all of this a pointless waste of her time. "So be it, Gladiator Thorn" she said, calling her by a full title to show a modicum of respect. Alicia extended her sword to her side before taking a single step forward, twisting her wrist to strike at Sara with the back edge of her sword, aiming staggeringly fast blows to pressure points. Using the back of her sword she wouldn't open up more cuts, but would instead weaken her body further.

Three…

Two…

One.

Sara saw her one and only chance. She walked forward and deliberately threw herself at Alicia's sword. For a second, time seemed to slow down, Sara was able to pick out details in crystal-clear view, even able to make out the individual expressions of horror on the spectator's faces. She felt the coldness of the blade, a chill like no other she had ever felt, enter the left side of her belly. Before Alicia could pull it out, Sara wrapped her free hand around her wrist, her grip like that of iron. She looked up at her opponent, leaning in closer until just a few inches were apart, and grinned from ear to ear.

"Gotcha." She whispered, in a hoarse tone, a spittle of blood landing on Alicia's face.

But then, disaster struck. Sara had not accounted for the shock that followed, a shock strong enough that, from her trembling hand, her only weapon slipped from her fingers, the only thing that she had to kill Alicia. This only caused Sara to push herself even more, she was not going to die alone. Using the last vestiges of her energy, she delivered a brutal knee to Alicia's belly, followed by a kick to the back of her legs, driving her down on her knee, whilst still holding her wrist, twisting her arm painfully. With her free hand, she brought it down like a guillotine upon Alicia's twisted arm, snapping it with painful and audible crack, and kicked her away, all while the katana was still deeply embedded within her.

This effort was too much, and Sara was forced to lean on the arena wall, her legs completely failing her. Unbeknownst to her, she was right next to the crew, her pallid sweaty face entirely focused on the downed Alica. But she had no weapon. Well, she did have one. She looked down at the sword in her body. After grabbing to the hilt with both of her hands, she slowly dragged the katana out of her, inch by bloody inch. Blood gushed out the open hole but still she stood, now equipped with Alicia's own weapon.

Alicia had taken lives in the past, most of them deserved. But despite having killed before there was nothing that could prepare her for seeing someone throw themselves willingly onto a blade. The act caused Alicia to watch in shock, caught completely off guard by the move. It caused her to lose focus, receiving a knee to the stomach and a kick to the leg which put her down onto one knee causing her to groan. Alicia tightened her grip on her sword but her physical strength was nowhere close to Thorns, feeling her wrist twist before her eyes widened as her other hand came down to break her arm, causing her to cry out in pain before she was kicked away.

The swordwoman gritted her teeth, the fiery aura fading entirely from her eye now as her strength depleted. Seeing the gladiator pull her own blade from her stomach and wield it made her question whether Thorn had power of her own beyond that of a normal human, although now wasn't the time to be contemplating the questions. Alicia slowly recovered, nursing her arm as she looked around for something she could use. Her eyes would fall upon Thorn's shield, one of the instruments that countered her sword. Reaching down with her remaining arm she hoisted the heavy metal up before standing to face her blood covered opponent.

Alicia wobbled on her legs a little due to the weight and her physical exhaustion, summoning the last of her energy together as she once again prepared to fight. She'd raise the shield and step forward, waiting for the signs of a strike. The swordswoman from Yula Fei would parry the first slash, throwing a punch directly at Sara's head, the contact of which would reden her fist with blood. Alicia wouldn't stop here though, it was all of nothing to bring this to an end as she continued to bat away her own sword and throw punches, despite them doing little damage given her physical strength. Alicia would eventually start using the shield itself, striking her with it over and over till the Gladiator fell

But the strike never came.

The crowd was completely quiet, and an eerie silence fell over the arena, unable to determine which woman would be the first to fall. Sara had stood up, unable to even lift the sword. She walked unsteadily towards Alicia dragging the sword along, leaving a bloodied snail's trail on the sandy floor.

But even she had her limits.

The sword, the hilt drenched in her own blood, slipped from her hand. She stopped, as if to look down at the bloodied blade on the ground. Sara fell to her knees and landed on the ground, face buried in the sand, as the blood slowly pooled around her dying body. She was no longer able to fight.

Alicia had won.

Alicia watched as the monster walked towards her, wondering if it was even possible to kill her after all the damage she'd soaked through the fight. Seeing her eventually fall though caused Alicia to drop the shield and fall to her knees, hunching over to rest on her still functioning arm.

After a few moments she'd retrieve her sword, the sword that'd once belonged to her mother. It was dirty and bloodied and would need a good clean, but it would need to wait. Alicia slid the weapon inside it's saya before slowly pulling herself to her feet. Sara looked dead, but Alicia doubted it. She could almost feel it, the willpower within her that drove her in battle.

Her kimono was bloodied and torn too, but she didn't care. The swordswoman headed back to her crew, almost stumbling over a few times before she made it to the wall where she rested. "I may... need some assistance" she said between labored breaths. Her ribs felt bruised and she felt like she could fall out of consciousness herself at any moment if she exerted herself any further.

Last edited by a moderator:
11ce6hj.jpg

Luro had taken time to go by weapons and materials from the stands with what little he had, putting the rest on the fight with Alicia. He expected to see a good fight between the two as he joined the others in the stands and cheered along with the crowd as the gladiators took their places. The fight began and Luro was already leaning over the sides pumping his fist and yelling at the two with enthusiasm. He didn't seem to be cheering for one side or the other only calling out good blows and counters. Luro had completely forgotten the purpose of this fight as he watched it. However as the fight continued his cheers slowly died down, not out of worry or boredom but because his attention had fully focused on the fight. The moment Alicia had smiled while attacking Luro's attitude seem to shift. A toothy grin formed on the man's face, his pupils dilating as he observed the two, his eyes watching the movements of the two women. There was no point in booing them, this had gone beyond a normal duel, both sides were enjoying themselves, this was a pure fight between two people. Honestly Luro wanted them to fight to the death Alicia was holding back to not kill Thorn and Thorn was...well she was fighting. His hands gripped the wall as the two exchanged blow after blow, a laugh escaping from him as Alicia was mounted, he jumped up and down a few times as Alicia went on the offensive.

Luro's eyes never left the fight even as the two slowed down, each movement, each attempt at an attack. When Thorn threw herself onto Alicia's sword Luro reached up and gripped his chest, a loud laugh echoing from his depths at the scene.
"Perfect....hahahaha...Captain...we need her. There's only one person willing to go that far to win," Luro said his grip tightening. "Letting yourself get hurt just to end your opponent, putting everything on the line to end the person in front of you, that kind of person...I love those kinds!"
In the next moment the fight was over, Luro straightened his body his grin returning to a small smile as he stared down at the two, at Alicia the victor.
"That was great! Oh wait we needed Thorn right...is she dead?" Luro said.
When Alicia returned Luro threw his arms open welcoming his crewmate back.
"Alicia! If you were feminine I'd ask you to be my mistress, that fight was amazing! You were all clang clang, and Thorn was 'yeah take that' and you were like 'nope gonna cut ya' and then she was like 'no you're not I'll cut myself' it was so cool! The way you fought it reminded me of Akiyoshi you were great Alicia."

---

1kZFPaq.jpg

There were a lot of things in this life that one couldn't prepare for, being stranded on an island was one of many things. Zilia her cloak covering her form stared down into the arena of the two combatants from the stands. Alicia Tashigi of Stardusk and Thorn were about to fight one another. She had been stranded on this island working as a medic for the arena, though she had the misfortune of always being on call for Thorn's opponents, there was little she could do to a dead body after all. She chose not to gamble trying to save what little money she had, but for this fight she was desperate, she already had to sleep in the streets last night, and she barely had a piece of gold to her name. Thorn's winning streak was her only hope, so she put all her funds into Thorn winning as she sat in the stands. However the woman she was facing was no stranger to Zilia, well she was a stranger but not to legend.
"Alicia Tashigi, a swordswoman of the Stardusk pirates...the tales they speak of you and your crew are...interesting to say the least. I've always wanted to see one of you fight...if it wasn't against Thorn I'd bet on your victory," Zilia thought staring down at the crowd.
She didn't know either woman obviously but someone didn't earn a streak like Thorn's out of luck, she was there to treat any people still left alive but Thorn left most of her fights almost unscathed, there was little reason to treat her, she supposed this would be no different. At the very least she'd be able to speak with Stardusk once the fight was over offering her condolences.

---​

"I....impossible."
Zilia fell to her knees as the fight concluded, she had barely been able to keep up with it but she could feel the ferocity of the two from where she was sitting, she had never seen someone fight like that before, never seen Thorn attack with so much vigor. That was a Stardusk pirate's power...this was inconceivable, how did Thorn lose? How did Alicia Tashigi win, how was she going to survive without any money?!
This kind of misfortune was beyond mortal understanding, there had to be someone punishing her for doing something wrong in a past life. A heavy sigh escaped the woman as she climbed to her feet, her depression didn't mean she didn't have a job to do, and she'd at least get paid enough to eat now, since Stardusk was closer she went to them first.

The cloaked woman approached the Stardusks pirates, her hooded head inclining towards Alicia as she passed her before focusing forward, walking up to Runali she tapped the woman on her shoulder to make sure she had her attention. Reaching forward she handed Runali a small flask and a container. Taking out a piece of paper she wrote on it before also handing it to the captain, the words were written in neat but large handwriting.
"Have Alicia Tashigi drink that to numb the pain, spread what's in the container on her to reduce the swelling. I will fully attend to her once I finish with Miss Thorn."
With her peace said or rather written the silent doctor moved over to Alicia and wrote another note holding it up to her.
"Grit your teeth."
Reaching forward she touched the woman's arm for a moment feeling it before a loud snap rang out, she was positive it would hurt but it was temporary fix until she could treat it further. She chose to do it before the pain was numbed as she had essentially made her homeless again.

Standing up she walked away from the crew and down to the Arena, kneeling down next to Thorn she sighed and with some effort rolled the woman onto her back, setting a small bag to her side she started treating the large woman with a careful focus, her hands continuously moving only stopping to check on the woman's state every few moments. She was thankful the stab had at least missed vital organs...but Thorn probably cost a lot of people money here, whoever still liked her after this probably had to be avid fans. This was a place of life and death and there was little respect for those who fell here, you were worth only how much you succeeded.
"I feel for you Miss Thorn...I'm not sure if you'll feel shame from this loss...but many will probably dislike you over their lost bets. The dead are lucky in that regard...they don't get to deal with the backlash...but I'm not going to let you die....even if I'm poor now because of you...you're not allowed to die in a place like this...not with the kind of will you have."

lYQbT8O.jpg
The fight was a great spectacle to watch, the crowds and Arcadius agreed. The fact that the rules flew out the window within first few moves felt refreshingly honest, and indeed, showed what was in Thorn, and how far was she willing to in order to win the fight. Saved nothing for the swim back, Arcadius thought as the ring medic ran towards her and started patching Thorn up. Do tell me, my good captain, how many of us would be willing to fight that hard, with such absolute fatalism, willing to see the current moment of life as the only one worth living? Alicia won, aye. Won before she walked into the ring anyway. You never had her schools, teachers, family, the whole support structure that made Alicia Tashigi, have you, Thorn? This noble, rich, spoiled girl walks into your home and pulls you, forces you into a fight you never had chance to win. How sickeningly humiliating it must have felt for you? And yet, yet, you were willing to burn it all, just to show her that destiny can be changed. That pure brass and elbows was enough, and yet, yet you lie here, in the sand, spilling out, barely alive. For a moment, there was a flicker of hope, flicker of justice. But hey, we're pirates. We don't peddle justice.

Damn it all, its getting cold again. Why we bother with hope, anyway?

"Aye, Luro. I think she'll fit right in. I think I'll go for a walk. That burning wine has a mean kick. I think I'm still drunk. I'll hang around the market. Maybe buy something nice."

Reactions: Mizos
Ray thanked Kadi for his financial assistance in getting drinks for the crew. His pride, and wallet, had taken a small hit when the Gladiator tricked him into buying her lunch. She'll get what's coming to her, alright. He smiled ruefully, not envious of going up against Alicia at all. He accepted the drinks from Kadi gratefully as he considered his proposal to the Captain as for what the crew could do next. Bringing back the dead? He scoffed before remembering that he lived in a world where magical ice powers and Davy Jones weren't fiction. He mulled the ideas over in his mind before his concerns were shut out by the upcoming fight.

Ray wasn't concerned with the outcome of the fight; he was certain that Alicia would win. And in the off chance she doesn't, Thorn likely won't be in any condition to collect our bounties anyway. I'll be damned if I'm headed back to Kane'Artem. The fight was impressive, and brought back memories of Luro's bout with Alicia when they met in the Utsukushī arena, years ago. He was thoroughly impressed by Thorn's determination and willpower. The only thing that would let me go toe to toe with her would be my Ice Powers, and then it'd be close. Too bad you didn't choose to fight me; you might've stood a chance. He was mildly worried that the gladiator was going to die in the aftermath before a medic arrived. He figured he hadn't noticed her last fight because there were no injuries to heal then. You can't exactly heal death... though I suppose Kadi has some thoughts on that now....

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Arcadius
Collab: @Capt. Blu and @SilentxChaos

250ruac.jpg

4C6vkP3.jpg

Jack sat with the silence of everyone else, an extinguished cigarillo hanging from his lips, until he raised his hands and started clapping. It triggered others to join. A momentum built from there, whooping glee from the fight they just witnessed. Perhaps the most brutal ever witnessed in this court.

Well, the rumors regarding the Maiden of Misery proved accurate enough. I guess they are the real deal. Jack smiled. He'd spent the day scrounging for latest gossip surrounding the Stardusk pirates, after overhearing their captain's bet with Thorn. The last thing he had heard was they'd died at sea, and though the crew's appearances were accurate, he harbored doubts. Needless to say, the gossip turned over nothing concrete, forcing Jack to take the chance and see for himself if Alicia Tashigi at least proved the rumors true.

"That cheering ain't going to last long."

Jack turned to the man sitting beside him. He was half-gone in a tankard of wine, and had a look of someone long out of work. Jack looked at him incredulous. "I beg your pardon?"

The wino hacked and spat on the ground. "That bitch Thorn lost. She ain't sup'pos da lose. All my coin gone thanks ta her."

"No offense, but you don't look like someone who has any money to lose," Jack said mildly. He kept eyes on the arena as a doctor appeared, and the crew surrounded their victor.

"Yeah, well, never been too well with me coins," the wino hiccuped, "doubt others will see it as I."

Jack made to reply, then frowned. The shock and excitement of Thorn's defeat was beginning to wear off of the crowd. He cast his gaze about, seeing people glancing anxiously at the collector's table, hands groping towards light purses, and faces crumbling as it dawned on the bettors just how much money had disappeared before their eyes.

Three years Thorn's never been defeated, so no one bets against her. A lot of them will have lost everything tonight… and I doubt they are going to blame themselves. Jack suddenly felt the arena's atmosphere change. Some men ambled to the collector's table, either to get their winnings and run before things became heated, or try to get back what they had lost. From dark corners, fuming glares locked on the Stardusk crew. Jack tapped his foot. A part of him regretted getting swept into the fight like the rest of the spectators because his plan had been to approach Captain Runali during it. Observing Tashigi's skills was to determine whether this crew was who they claimed to be, but at the end of it Jack was desperate to make his practice on the seas again, and would make his case to the captain either way. He believed he had missed his opportunity. But given the developing situation, perhaps…

Jack clapped the wino's back, causing the drunk to choke. "Thank you, my fair-minded friend. You've been very helpful."

"Eh? Fuck off."

There was no doubt from the captain about Alicia's victory, although watching Sara have an actual opponent did admittedly impress her. "A bit ruthless but with the right people, I think she'll go a long way. Right people being us of course." The captain spoke to no one in particular as she perched on the wall that blocked them from the arena fight. Both women were tough and neither planned on going down easy. For the most part, the captain had an intense gaze, staying quiet as the fight progressed.

It was when Alicia was pinned and forced to take punches did her eye narrow and her hands gripped tighter to the wall, but she remained quiet, keeping her gaze fixated on the battle in front of her. She couldn't help but flinch when Alicia's arm was broken- or at least that's what it looked like from afar. "We're going to… need to get her fixed up before we leave." Runali knew the fight wouldn't be easy, but she sure wasn't expecting this outcome. When the battle was finally over, she cheered along with the rest of the audience. Sure she cheered about the fight considering it was much better than the last, but she also cheered about the money they were getting as well. Everyone that bet on Thorn, and who laughed at a random tourist that had the gall to fight was sitting wide eyed and stunned.

As Alicia hobbled towards them, the captain hurried over to one side as a support. "When I said give 'em a show, I think there was a bit too much 'show' in there." She teased lightly but then glanced over towards where Thorn lied in the sand. For a brief moment, she frowned, only to duck under Luro as he approached Alicia with open arms.

She was about to gesture for Ray to follow her into the arena, only to be stopped when someone tapped her. "Eh- oh, hello?" Most times, someone randomly approaching her would have made her tense, but she spotted the figure in her peripheral to be at least a little aware of it. Runali gave a once over to the woman in front of her to make sure she didn't pose any threats. It didn't look like it, but that didn't mean being handed a piece of paper was any less suspicious. However, suspicion aside, she did read over it. "Hm?... Oh. Hmm." She couldn't find any sort of deception in the stranger's eyes so she nodded.

"Oi, Alicia-" She moved Luro out of the way a bit. "The lady says drink this to stop the pain-" As she handed her the bottle, Zilia had already made her way over to tend to the swordswoman. "I think she knows what she's doing? And it's kinda all we have at the moment." Runali gathered her thoughts for a quick second, formulating some clarity of what was going on. "Luro, mind going to collect our winnings? We need that before sticky fingers take it. Ray can you go with… that lady to make sure Thorn isn't… you know dead? It'd be a shame if she is. Kadi-" She was going to ask him to go along, but he seemed to have other plans. The captain stayed with Alicia, letting her catch her breath before they regrouped and got moving again.

A hand suddenly grabbed her shoulder and the captain immediately lashed out at whoever caught her off-guard, but he stepped back just in time to avoid being backhanded.

"Whoa, easy there!" Jack raised his hands to show he meant no harm, but kept a careful distance. "I come as a friend, I swear... but I can't say the same for the rest of them."

Slowly, he lowered his hands and made a subtle gesture to his left. A group of men had gathered and were glaring heatedly at the Stardusk crew, clenching empty purses. "People lost a lot of money on Thorn tonight, and won't be too pleased because of it. Personally I'd like to avoid further bloodshed and thought I could lend a hand. I know a place where Thorn and your friend there can rest safely. If you'll allow me?"

Runali narrowed her eyes for a moment, although of course Jack could only see one. This was the second person that randomly approached them without warning. And this was definitely starting to get a little suspicious but… The captain did notice the change in atmosphere. A few of the attendees started to realize just how much they had lost. And while they were angry with the announcer, she noticed the announcer pointing fingers. And where were they pointed? At the Stardusk of course. Trouble seemed to attract to them like a magnet. The captain sighed and rolled her yes. "Is there no honor among men anymore?"

"Looks like we've overstayed our welcome and this Maiden of Misery upset a few people." She whistled for her crew's attention, still at Alicia's side. "Our navigator has the right idea, it's time to go. Pick up Thorn and that lady who's helping her and let's get outta here." She waited for her crew to gather together before nodding towards the newest stranger. "Lead the way- but just so you know if this is a trap, I'm personally feeding you to a shark."

Jack made a small bow. "Fair enough. This way then."

Guiding them to the rear of the arena, the group traveled through a backroom into a side alleyway, just as the commotion in the arena exploded to new heights. Jack set a quick but steady pace, mindful of those helping the injured. He led them a block down, to a two-story rickety building. The sign's lettering had faded a decade back and all but the most loyal customers remembered its name. Jack ushered in the crew, re-checking the streets to ensure they weren't followed.

Inside, the place looked ready to collapse on itself. It was dim and dull with moonlight shining through cracks in the ceiling, and a handful of candles lighting the main area. There was a cluster of tables and chairs, most looking dusty, an alcove to the right that acted as a bar; curtains and tapestries hanging everywhere. The latter had become washed-out versions of their former, brighter selves, and made the whole place seem gloom. On the second floor, they could see multiple rooms with curious eyes peering out. Jack stepped around the group just as a woman appeared at the top of less-than-sturdy stairs. Her face was heavily painted, and from their perspective she seemed young. She quickly trotted down the steps, hastily putting on earrings and adjusting a half-laced corset too small for her chest, leaving little to the imagination. She wore a trained smile- one to woo and qualm all distress- which slipped the moment she spotted Jack and his companions.

They clasped hands and kissed each other's cheeks in welcome, but the whole time the lady's wide eyes absorbed the others. "Heavens, Jack, who are your friends? You look quite in a state...is that Thorn?"

"Please, Madame, we have injured with us," he said, "I'll take them to my room, if you could have one of your girls-"

"What, that broom cupboard of yours?" the madame snorted and shook her head. "No, take them to my quarters. There'll be enough room there. I'll fetch Renée for fresh water and food."

She squeezed Jack's hands then quickly bustled everyone up the stairs, fluttering about "the poor things" who were Alicia and Sara. Up close, she was far older, with deep lines etching her face beneath the white powder, and streaks of grey in her dark hair. She refused any kind of explanation, saying she must open her doors soon and having them in sight would only complicate her business.

Runali couldn't help her suspicious frowning as they made their way through the brothel and to the madame's rooms. Suspicion turned into confusion after being escorted to the safe haven and for a moment she took the time to take account what happened. She waited until Thorn was placed on the bed and Alicia could take a seat. She counted her crew and acknowledged the ones that weren't. When she was sure everyone was settled, she turned to Jack as he took a seat at a nearby table. Without warning, she placed her foot on his chair, between his legs so he couldn't make any quick escapes. With narrowed eyes, she spoke. "Alright, talk. Who are you? What's the catch here?" She looked over at the woman that tagged along as well. She decided to wait to question that one considering she was doing the honors of aiding Thorn and Alicia, but the look she gave was clear that she'd be questioned afterward. For now, her attention turned to the man in front of her.

Jack raised his eyebrows at her foot. "That's a little close, don't you agree?" Seeing she wasn't in the mood, he cleared his throat and started over. "Like I said before, I'm just acting as a friend. The name's Jack Kunal and I'm a cook. Or, was, before I got stranded on this island without work. I've been making my living off fighting bets. Honestly, I have Thorn to thank for most of my survival," he nodded towards the unconscious gladiator.

"When the battle ended, I got a sense things were turning ugly. Thorn's not supposed to lose, you see? You made a lot of men broke and- well, most of them are pirates or mercenaries. All drunk. I just thought enough blood had been shed and figured you'd feel the same. Besides, in a weird way I owe Thorn."

jj37lg.jpg

The swordswoman would have butted Luro in the forehead with the tip of her saya, but she was far too exhausted and he'd redeemed himself by mentioning her father, which actually made her feel quite good. "Thank you, Luro. I think that's the first nice thing you've said to me" she replied, remembering her father fondly for a moment and wondering what he might have said if he'd been watching the fight.

Alicia was thankful for Runali's help as she supported her, giving a small smirk as she mentioned her previous comment about putting on a show. "If you hadn't wanted her on the crew, the fight would have ended far sooner" she replied softly, wincing as she moved due to her bruised and beaten body which began to punish her now that the adrenaline was leaving her. She briefly looked back towards her defeated opponent.

The offered bottle that was said to cure her pain caused Alicia to be a little skeptical, but she had little choice but to accept the help form the silent girl as she nodded and popped the lid, taking small sparing sips from it. After that Alicia merely returned to her usual quiet self, watching and waiting for the next move as things began to unfold around them, people seeming to get gradually more upset as they assembled into a crowd of angry voices.

"I'm in no condition to fight" she stated to Runali, indicating that if they would have to fight their way out, it'd be without her fighting skills. Thankfully it seemed that they had a better plan after as a newly arrived man led them away form the arena. Runali's mention of her wanted poster title caused her to exhale a sigh, "Please don't call me that... " she said as she was helped along, doing her best to keep herself upright so that she didn't slow everyone down.

Alicia had broken bones before, her rib in fact back when the captain had been kidnapped. She'd taken the bomb and thrown it before it detonated, the explosion having sent her flying into a wall which broke the rib. It felt like so long ago now and in truth it was, never the less a broken bone was nothing she hadn't contended with before, even if this one posed new challenges than the last. The swordswoman did not want to make this a habit.

When they arrived at the building, Alicia would eventually take a seat once more and allow herself time to rest once more. She had to admit, she was actually some what worried about the condition of Thorn, her death meaning that her own suffering would have been for nothing. She still doubted the girl would allow herself to die like this though, even if her wounds were substantial. She looked to the one called Jack as he spoke.

She continued to listen to his motives, which were reasonable all things considered. The crew hadn't had a cook since Nolan, causing her to look to Runali with a raised eyebrow to see if she could tell what she was thinking. After a moment Alicia spoke, "We do not have a cook captain, perhaps we would benefit from having him aboard with us. Besides, Luro could use the benefit of a nutritional diet".

Whether he joined them was ultimately down to Runali and Alicia instead turned her attention down to her sword, her eyes glancing across the slender black saya, all the way to the blood stained hilt. Shusui had seen many battles and had taken part in many wars throughout time. She wondered where it would go once she met her own end, whom would wield it and to what end it would eventually meet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Three thousand years later, Yula Fey

cyberpunk-sci-fi-cities-futuristic-lights-artistic-cg-digital-art-paintings-airbrushing-images-222005.jpg

"Are you afraid of death?"

"No..."​

"But I am afraid of you"​

TO6B3qr.png

The rain hammered against her exo-suit as lightning struck through the clouds overhead, thunder tearing the sky apart as she stood atop the large corporate sky scrapper, crouched at the edge as she looked down upon the mega city that had long since swallowed Yula Fey into itself, expanding and encompassing the entire of what was once a massive island many many years ago. "Naomi, do you read me?" the voice echoed in her ear, causing her to raise a hand to it, pressing a small neon blue button before she replied. "I read you Siruki, I'm at the insertion point now" she replied, her voice soft but edged with a slightly more tough inflection of her words.

"You know you don't have to do this... you can turn back right now, no one would fault you for it" the voice was male, deep and appeared concerned for her safety. "There's no turning back now, they have something that belongs to me" she said before standing up as the rain continued to fall around her, sliding from the smooth surface of her suit. Her red eyes narrowed as she inhaled before exhaling as she took a step forward off the edge, falling gracefully head first form the top of the towering building.

The updraft whipped through her short hair which whipped wildly as she fell, her body twisting in mid air before she clenched her fists, spikes protruding from her exo-suit gauntlets as her arms dragged against the building, slowing her a bit as she fell towards the large open balcony of the executives office. The young girl would peel from the side of the building, hitting the balcony hard as she fell into a nimble roll, the modifications on her legs absorbing the shock from the impact. "Be careful, I'm reading multiple heat signatures in the building, you're not alone" Siruki warned.

Naomi glanced through the glass doors to the balcony to check it was clear before approaching them, pulling out a small thin needle which she jammed into the lock, causing it to click open with little resistance. "I'm in" she said over her COM piece before entering. The executive office was large, decorated with various pieces of art from paintings to large sculptures. "What are you looking for exactly?" Siruki asked as she approached the computer console and began to hack her way inside, pulling up a screen of folders and information.

"I need to know where they're keeping it. I'm downloading the file now" she replied as she pushed a memory stick inside the port, the download starting automatically. Alarms started up a minute later as her hack attempt was realized, causing Naomi to reach for her wrist and click two buttons on a watch strapped to her wrist, starting a countdown. "The jig is up, gotta do this fast..." she said as she watched the download bar continue to fill itself at a steady pace. "Naomi I'm reading multiple signatures heading your way!".

The door burst open as men in armored suits stormed in, leveling advanced assault riffles which tracked with the technology built into the lenses of their protective helmets. Naomi nimbly slammed her foot into a chair, flinging it as speed towards the first enemy which forced him to stumble back defensively. By the time they realized what had happened she was already upon them, throwing punches and kicks that had devastating effects as they were kicked and thrown around the room. "Naomi more on the way, you need to leave!" the voice in her ear stressed.

More armored men arrived through the door, this time leveling and shooting off rounds towards her. Naomi faded from the world as her active camouflage engaged, her hand reaching back to withdraw a high frequency blade which made staggeringly quick work of the bullets before the armored guards were cleaved apart in smooth swift strokes with the vibrating blade. Bodies littered the ground as she fought, fading in and out of her enemies before slicing and impaling them quickly.

Once the upload was complete she pulled it from the computer and ran back to the balcony, intending to rappel down to the next floor and bypass the guards quickly ascending to her floor. Unfortunately a gunship rose from beyond the balconies edge before starting to lay down fire which shattered the glass of the building in mere moments, cutting through the bodies of anyone still standing in the office. Naomi took cover behind a stone wall, batting away some of the larger bullets that strayed too close. "I have a plan" she muttered.

"Whatever you're going to do, do it fast, if the reinforcements arrive no one can help you!" Naomi ignored Siruki as she broke from cover, her exo-suit accelerating her at speed as she jumped from the balcony, using her sword to impale the armor of it's hull and provide a spot she could grip too as her hand held the hilt tightly. The gunship flew back from the building, attempting to shake her off as it spun out of control from the added weight and balance issues.

The gunship smashed into an opposing sky scraper before it began to fall towards the vast expansive streets filled with crowds of people below.

25c9KoT.jpg
Sara was dead to the world, her body trembling like a kitten and breathing feverishly. She didn't react to the tender care of her caretaker nor did she make a sound as she was carried into the brothel. Her sweaty pale face glistened in the moonlight and the candlelight changed it to sickly glow. If she had any semblance of consciousness, her biggest concern would be the potential that no one stopped to gather her weapons. But she was far, far, away from the world of the living.

With the cuts and wounds patched up and no longer had the risk of dying from organ failure, a new problem arose. Physical contact with her body was like touching ice, already the first signs of hypothermia was setting in, as her body was unable to produce the heat it needed. Sara, in order to survive, must have constant source of warmth beside her throughout the night, a fire and thick blankets weren't going to be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
11ce6hj.jpg
L​

Luro waved his arms still going on about the fight but stopped when he noticed what Alicia had just said, he stared at her wondering if she was joking but when she seemed serious about the comment Luro scratched his cheek. Taking a moment to count something in his head eventually moving to his fingers he looked back up at Alicia realizing she was forgetting something very important.
"Alicia I say nice stuff to you all the time," Luro said. "I said some stuff earlier too...we gotta fix you missing compliments Alicia."
He ended up putting the matter aside however as he received an order from his captain, raising a hand he turned and made his way down to collect their winnings. He had to push his way through the people, some of them looking a little angrier than the others and approached the table.
"Hey I'm here for the Stardusk bets, you know the one against Thorn who lost. Yeah the really big one, that's ours," Luro said pointing at the man. "I hope it's all there we shouldn't have lost any money like those who bet on Thorn."
Luro paid no mind to the glares behind him as he took the money and made his way back to his crew, his gaze moved over to the cloaked doctor trying to help Thorn. The girl glanced over at him but her attention was pulled away by the approach of Ray, Luro smiled at this seeing he was already at work.
"Hahaha you don't waste any time Ray," Luro said focusing his attention forward. "You can redeem yourself, I believe in you!"

The appearance of the strange man and their quick departure was a bit of a surprise and Luro had to grab his sack of purchased goods before following the others, he made sure Thorn and the hooded woman came along at the captain's request. The moment they walked inside the building Luro smelled the air a familiar scent stinging his nostrils, his gaze moved around the building looking at a few of the worn down items around them and the decorations hanging on the walls before he spoke.
"We're in a brothel...I know that smell anywhere. It's the same smell Kadi had on when he got some! Haha! I haven't forgotten Kadi!"
After grinning at his comrade he gave a small nod to the Madame and followed to the room taking a seat once everyone was settled, he looked over at the sleeping Thorn and the doctor looking over her, though his attention moved back to his captain as she spoke to the stranger that had apparently introduced them. Luro folded his hands behind his head as the man introduced himself, he was a little weird but he had helped them.
"What do you mean Alicia?" Luro questioned looking over her. "I eat healthy stuff all the time...yesterday I had rum, and the day before I had rum, the day before that I had fish with rum...wait...or was that just rum..."
Luro closed his eyes and crossed his arms trying to remember if he had eaten anything at all now that he really thought about it.
He didn't think too hard on it as Alicia said something that seemed like a good idea, he didn't really care about a cook but this guy seemed fun, they should take him with him.
"We should bring him with us Captain, a wise man once told me a stranger is only a friend in waiting, well until he was killed by a random guy he befriended," Luro said standing up. "Besides he's really suspicious, that means he has to be fun. Remember Simon, he wasn't suspicious at all and he tried to kill us, at least with this guy we know there's a chance he'd try to stab us in the back! Isn't that fun! Jack come with us. "

1kZFPaq.jpg

Zilia wiped her forehead with her sleeve and stared down at Thorn's body, at the very least her wounds were taken care of but it was clear something else was wrong with her. She wasn't surprised as it had been quite the brutal fight, she reached forward to check on something when footsteps caught her attention. Adjusting her hood she turned and looked at the one approaching, recognizing him as Raymond Skalter, one of Stardusk pirates. There were plenty of rumors about him as well but he didn't seem to be approaching as a threat at least. Taking out her notebook she wrote down in it before holding it up not wanting to ignore him.
"Is there something you need Mr. Skalter?"
She held the paper towards him for a moment having a feeling he didn't come down just to check on Thorn, but her attention moved to the patrons of the arena pretty quickly, she had watched plenty of fights and she knew when things were going to get ugly, and judging by the change in the air it was getting close to that time. She really couldn't leave Thorn here however, her treatment would be meaningless in that case. Just as she was contemplating her options Stardusk seemed to make the choice for her.

----------​
"I...am standing in a Brothel..."
Zilia stood in the Madame's room looking around at the members of Stardusk and the man who had 'helped them' whose name appeared to be Jack. Her eyes twitched slightly at the situation she found herself in, she was standing in a place where people engaged in acts of lascivious fancy, if asked a hundred times her answer would have never come that she would end up in a Brothel today. A long sigh escaped from her as this was not how she saw her day going, and the captain of Stardusk had given her a strange look, one that made her want to leave as soon as the opportunity presented itself. Though admittedly this was a chance to view the Stardusk firsthand, she just wished it was in a place where she didn't have to watch her step, both literally and figuratively.
"...I do not know if this is misfortune or fortune anymore...more than likely the former because I am again...in a Brothel."

Zilia paid no mind to the Stardusk as they spoke with Jack as she still had to finish with Sara and move onto Alicia. Her wounds were taken care of but when she touched her skin it was surprisingly cold, and her shivering was concerning. The fact she wasn't breathing normally wasn't good either, she shook her head knowing what the problem was. She would have to explain this to the people in the room but with their conversations her normal means of communications would a bit. Zilia's eyes moved around the room and landed on Luro and his loud nature. With a firm nod she walked over and pulled on his sleeve drawing the redhead's attention. Holding a piece of paper up to him she waited for him to read it, after a moment he grinned and nodded at her causing her to hand him another piece of paper.
"Attention members of Stardusk!" Luro said holding the paper in his hands. "I am borrowing your friend's voice for a moment, please permit me a moment of your time. I do not know your intentions with Miss Thorn but she is currently suffering from Hypo...Hypotha...Hypa..."
Luro turned and held the paper towards Zilia causing her to quickly scribble on another piece of paper and hand it to him.
"...she's really really cold and needs warmth. Blankets and a heat source would suffice but I would like for someone to please share the bed with her...wait what?"
Zilia handed Luro another piece of paper and arching a brow at her he continued reading.
"I do not know much of Thorn so I'd prefer not to do anything too inv...invas..."
Luro held the paper towards Zilia who sighed and scribbled more before handing it back to him.
"I don't want to take risks with my medicine or her health, her coldness comes more from trauma and exhaustion then the weather obviously so it's easy to treat here. I would prefer having someone close to her to keep the little heat in her body from escaping as quickly. I'm sure the blankets would be enough...but since her body was...damaged recently any little bit will help as she recovers. I normally wouldn't ask strangers but...options are a tad limited at the moment and I believe you to be respons...repso."
Zilia brought a hand to her face and handed Luro another sheet of paper which he looked back at.
"I believe you'll assist her."
Zilia nodded to Luro before taking her pages back from him and stuffing them in her bag, Luro raised his hand grinning.
"I'll sleep with Thorn!"
Zilia vehemently shook her head at him and walked past Luro, she didn't trust the tall loud one not to try and do something when she slept, they could decide amongst themselves who would take that role. Moving over to Alicia she held a piece of paper up to her needing her to know what was about to happen.
"This will not take long Miss Tashigi, I will finish before the medicine's effect wears off...probably. Please do not resist me okay? Thankfully I was able to watch your fight and I memorized where you both were injured, I'll treat the more serious ones first."
Zilia shook off her hands and making sure Alicia understood got right to work dealing with her wounds, since she didn't have a weapon literally inside her body for a few moments it wouldn't take long to treat her.
"...huh she has soft skin... still can't believe she beat Thorn... gah why is your skin so soft?! I'm almost jealous..." Zilia thought her eyes twitching slightly.
Zilia sighed and continued working her eyes glancing up at Alicia every now and then as a silent reminder not to needlessly move. Her touch was gently but firm and if there was a sign she was seriously injured it was gone when Zilia was finished with the wound, her eyes lowered slightly and her mouth would twitch to the side. She still chose to keep her hood up as she worked however so viewing her facial expressions was more than likely difficult as her head remained lowered. She was quick and efficient however wasting little time in treating the wounds on the woman's body, by time she was almost finished the only real sign Alicia was hurt was the tears and blood on her clothing.
"Hmm, damage to the ribs...nothing too serious but it'll hurt for a little bit...I could give her something to relieve the pain...but the effects won't last how long this will take to heal...I can give it to the captain and write down the recommended dosage..."
Zilia was miles away as she worked her eyes focused but distant causing her to ignore the world around her.

A collab between Arc and SilentxChaos

lYQbT8O.jpg

Kadi was drunk. Not drunk enough, he quickly corrected his astute observation. The sullen mood that took him over after watching the fight was getting stronger and stronger, now that he was alone, walking the streets around the fighting pit. Oh, sullen? You're not sullen, Arcadius, the voice of his drunkenness told him. Oh, that guy, again. Always sounding so hurt and convictive. No, you feel miserable because you participated in that broad daylight robbery. At night, to add marginal detail to injury. True enough, he agreed. He found himself leaning against a wall, the burden of standing upright too much to bear for the moment.

He leaned back, his eyes trying to focus on the stars. They were pretty. So you finally joined them, eh? For all those years, they were supposed to be a means to an end. Something you wanted to use, and then shoo away, assuming you'd be enough alive to shoo away anything but crows. Now, where was Drunken Sailor? Oh, right. Not going to see that constellation this time of year, not this far north. But here you stand, actually one of them. Worse, it was actually YOUR idea to rob all those people of their… dubiously acquired money. Oh, he knew how that one would continue, alright. Yadda yadda, all your fault, whine whine, you should not be happy. Heard that one enough times already. Enough drink, and the annoying inner monologue would shut up, at the cost of really unpleasant tomorrow's morning.

There was something that had the appearance of a watering hole two corners back, the voice said in resigned tone. Oh, right. There was. Place called Morte something. Undeniably, the drinks were to kill for. Or be killed by. Alcohol was kinda like that, funny thing. Like Luro, except less stupid. With too much care that betrayed the state of his inebriation, he pushed the door to the Morte bar open. The place seemed almost deserted, roof falling apart at only slightly slower pace than the furniture, though the large Tyvian window in the ceiling that allowed the room be lit by moonlight showed some modicum of class. He made his way across the floor, and leaned against what he identified as a bar. "Uhm… hello? Barkeep?"

There was a squeak and the bar suddenly rattled. A young girl rose up, rubbing her head through a pile of frizzy auburn hair. She had a small freckled face, a mole on one cheek, nearly covered with heavy blush. She seemed out-of-place in the dark bar as she wore bright colored corset and skirts; tattered as they were. Clutching a tray to her chest, she sidled away from Kadi, staring with wide, mismatched colored eyes. Occasionally, they flickered towards the rooms upstairs--one, in particular. "Sorry mis'r but we's ain' open jus' yet."

The Navigator blinked, just as surprised as the girl who suddenly appeared behind the bar. Hard worker. Must have been sleeping behind there, to clock in the first second her shift was supposed to start, the voice noted with bitter sarcasm. Kadi simply thought those eyes could win over any guy she looked at. There was something mesmerizing in them. Drink. Oh, yes. "Ah… I see. Well, since I have already woke you up, am here and contain certain modicum of currency on my person, could I perhaps persuade you to arrange for me something to drink? Ideally, something stiff enough you could hang a tapestry on." We really get verbose when drunk, don't we? Kadi had to agree with himself. They were, indubitably, purveyors of pointlessly precise pronunciations of present precipices when inebriated on alcoholic beverages. Showoff.

Renee blinked owl-eyed at Kadi, whose talk went way about her small head. "Mis'r, I real sorry but...but I got things to do an', uh--"

"Renee! Now don't you go shooing out paying customers, just because it's a little early," another woman sashayed downstairs and ventured other to them. She smiled genially at him before throwing a stern look at the girl. "We already have a crow- some other folk here, don't we?"

"Uh, y-yes Madame…"

"Well, why don't you go deliver them what you promised, hmm? I'll take care of this fine man here." Despite being a couple decades his senior, the Madame gave him all the attention of a flighty teen seeing her one true love. Renee nodded and bent behind the counter again, throwing a pitcher of water and wine, plates of food, and fresh bandages onto the tray. The Madame saw- quickly gestured for the girl to hide the bandages- and grabbed Kadi's arm as she hurried off. "So fine man, what can we get for you?"

Drink. He allowed himself to be led off, confused by the quick discussion he was unable to keep up with in his drunk state. "Well, madame, I am in search of fermented or distilled products of wine, which can provide one with solace of one's soul. I have to admit, it had been a most difficult post-witching hour time for me today." He was only have aware of what was he saying, his mouth simply reproducing what he felt. All he wished for was to get drunk enough to stop thinking completely, stumble onto the ship and wake up somewhere close to the ship's side, for ease of easing himself when the bear of the booze would become too much. Wake up around noon, feeling so horrible all he could focus on was his hangover. "Ideally, something alcoholically equivalent to having a marble vase smashed against your temple in a very impolite manner."

"My my such fancy words. Are you a scholar?" the Madame asked. She sat him down at a table and returned briefly to the bar, gathering a dusty bottle of wine and some bread with spiced oil. The Madame placed it before him, then perched on the edge of a seat next to him. "Here, allow me," she reached for the wine and poured him some in a wooden cup.

He picked up the cup and downed it in one go, already feeling his thoughts lose direction. The wine was red, tart and earthy, but he was past such earthly concerns. "No, ma'am, I am drunk." He hoped that would explain the situation sufficiently.

"Seems like people are in such a state this evening," she commented, more to herself than Kadi as she poured herself some wine, "what ails you so to bring you to our doorstep hmm? It must be quite a tale if you wish to get as drunk as you proclaim."

He turned around and leaned his back against the table, stretching his spine until he felt several soft pops of his vertebrae. "Well, a lot of people seem to have lost vast sums of coinage on a bet they thought was safe, but it turned quite otherwise. I imagine their misery might fill your fine… establishment with personae in search of drink or…" Well, her clothes spoke quite obviously, didn't they. "Or other ways of relieving stress." He took the liberty of refilling his cup. "As it would be, I fear I have some agency in this course of events. I do believe I happened to be on the winning side, albeit I failed to collect my winnings. In your lovely fighting pit, The Thorn was defeated by the sweet sakura blossom that is Alicia Tashigi. From the start, everyone seemed certain who would win, but me and mine had actual accurate information on the skills of the two combatants. It was, indeed, a very loaded bet."

He downed the cup. "My sorrow is that I valued myself above such things. That I am not the scoundrel
the like I travel with, and yet… I suppose I am not travelling with them only out of convenience to achieve my goal of personal redemption, but… perhaps because I actually may be one of them?" By this point, he was talking to a tapestry in front of him, completely ignoring the world around.

The Madame paled when he spoke of Thorn, glancing towards her private chambers, but as he continued to speak she raised her brow and then chuckled. Heavens, he must be with them… the thought crossed her mind just as a long bang resounded from her doors. A group of men, looking quite unhappy indeed, poured in shouting for booze and girls.

"Oh dear," the Madame sighed and patted Kadi's shoulder, "Now why don't you just stay there for the time being while I greet these other gentlemen, hmm? I'll come back for you just a bit."

She left him to stare at the tapestry. The place was coming to life as several girls, all dressed in their own fashion mimicking the Madame's, suddenly appeared and greeted their customers with more than open arms. Someone lit a fireplace that had missed, casting an amber glow and dispelling the grey-gloom. A cacophony of high-pitched laughter, shouting, and the clank of drinks rattled the rafters as the brothel opened for business.

Ray inclined his head politely towards the medic. "It seems my reputation precedes me. I'd love to get more acquainted, but I think we have some more pressing matters." Ray gestured to the broken Thorn. "Help me move her. It looks like we have a place set up for you to work on the both of them without the angry scrutiny of others." He scanned the crowd and monitored their gradually worsening mood, keeping his eyes open for anyone who might interfere. Fortunately, their trip to the brothel a passerby had pointed out proved quite uneventful.

As the medic began working on Thorn and Alicia, he began watching out a window for any trouble that might have followed them. Before long, his watch was interrupted by the attentions of a few of the ladies that worked there. He chatted friendlily with them, making risque jokes in response to their own, and otherwise making small talk. This too was interrupted by the medic's proxy announcement through Luro. Ray had to restrain himself from stepping in and taking over whenever Luro failed to pronounce words. "I'll keep her warm through the night, if needed. I am and will be a perfect gentleman, so you need not doubt my intentions. And I can be warm when I want to be, if exacerbating the problem is a concern."