mg5L8yj.png

Like Ray, Jack remained relatively silent throughout the trip. And like Zilia, he worried about the others who went to the Dreamland. It didn't stop the relief he felt or the guilt from feeling it. At least in the Free City (of which its official name escaped him) he'd be more useful to his crew against concrete threats and not of nightmares. Walking through the city, he listened and observed, taking in the odd architecture and trying to place the thick accent of their hostess. He'd heard it before from one city or another in his travels. He was relieved to settle over hot food and, for the first time since they arrived, didn't mind the chill in the air.

When Kadi announced what their intentions would be, Jack inhaled on his cigarillo, held it, and released it long and slow. "Ah," he responded. A heist. Of course it would be a heist. Wish I was surprised, but can't really be anymore, he thought with a sigh.

Zilia dropped her head on the table. Jack covered a smile and patted her shoulder sympathetically. "Don't worry. You'll get accustomed to it, eventually." He leaned over to read her note at the center of the table, tapping his foot.

"Well, if you want to steal from an auction...I'd imagine you'd want to do it before?" He leaned back in his chair, pushing it so the top pressed against the wall. "Auctions generally line up their items prior to the actual event. They'll be less protected then and as long as you case the place, know where the items will be--well, it might be easiest to steal the jar of dirt then." He puffed on the cigarillo. "Or, steal the item from whoever wins it."

He glanced around the table, shrugging his shoulders. "That's just one cook's musing though."

Collab between Arc and Captn. Blu

JVJll27.png

2bxbjVH.png

fU0WAmn.png
Shadow Captain, Armored Sara, Glowing Alicia, Luro^6

It seemed there was nothing in the space that swallowed the Pathfinder just moments ago, no element of logical causality that would explain what or where would it take them out of this most inhospitable swamp. The crew, though, seemed desperate enough to believe this stranger, as they jumped through the imaginary hoop, one after another. They were instantly surrounded by emptiness of a dreamless night that proved to be impossible to instantly wake up from on their own accord. From time to time, each of the crewmembers would feel something trying to tug them awake, but the unreal sleepiness would always bring them back into the warm, cozy nonexistence. There was no way to count time. With no connection to reality, they could have laid there, on the path between dreams, for eyeblink, or for eaons. Did it matter, though? Did things actually happen if one did not remember them happening, or was memory simply just self consistent lie that coalesced into sense of causal existence of weak minds?

The wake up was like breaking the surface of a lake covered by thin ice sheet, cold and still as death. Their consciousness flooded back into their souls, like cool clear glacial spring water fills an empty basin. Streams of concepts joined to form rivers of thoughts, rivers of thoughts made deltas of cognition, and cognition flew to create ocean that was a conscious mind.

They were on a street in unfamiliar city. The houses were built of red bricks, and the architecture showed affinity for bas reliefs, arches, sharp angles and high, gothic windows. It was winter, and fresh fluffy snow was falling around them, muffling any sound the city could have made. The gas streetlamps around them flickered in orange and blue glow through the snowfall. "Every time when the jear kame kloose to an end, the city did somethink with the gas to make it burn blue, as a… farewell to the old jear. Dere's somethink nostalgik about the illoomination, you know. The way the soft light diffuzes through the fallinkch snow. It's kald around you, but there's certain… warmt in yoor mind. Certain asshured festivity, I think," the Pathfinder made himself known, standing few paces from them. The snow layer was unbroken all around as he made his way to lend a hand in helping them get up, the snow crunching under his boots. The footprints behind him were filled with warm swamp-mud that fell from his dirty boots, as a reminder the shenanigans with snakes did really happen. Or at least, the memories of them happening were not a complete fabrication. The mud quickly froze on the cold ground, and was promptly hidden by a layer of falling snow.

The street ended in a T-junction on one end. In the other direction, it seemed to stretch forever, as the dreamer of this dream did not bother to think about that way too much. The T-junction had a small plaza with a fountain in the middle, surrounded by four chestnut trees in square formation, heavy with their fruit. The plaza was, just as everything around was, covered in snow, and the fountain was turned off for the winter. Facing the fountain was a house one floor taller than the ones around. It's top was converted into a winter garden, and most of the crew-facing portion of the floor was furnished with tall glass panes, akin to a greenhouse.

Near the fountain, a person in heavy winter coat was watching the house. They were facing away from the group, and it was impossible to see their face or any other features. Their hands were in the large coat's pockets, and the falling snow created a tiny cold epaulettes on their shoulders. "Just wished it wasn't this warm old memory," the Pathfinder commented.

Again the group found themselves going from one place to suddenly waking up. This time, instead of going drifting from dream to dream, the captain woke with a freezing start. While she shuddered, she glanced around in hope to recognize where she was. No luck. The last time she was in snow the crew was attacked by the Red pirates, surrounded by navy, and nearly starved to death.

She didn't like the cold very much.

The talk of familiarity and warmth made Runali shudder again. Path was still around which meant they were still in some lucid dreamscape. She took his help, realizing she was sitting in deep snow. The others were around as well. Of course they were. She remembered grabbing both Luro and Cloak before the invisible 'portal' could close- or get the idea to at least. Now, there they all were in some calm, quiet and snowy town.

"That…" She frowned a bit, taking a few steps forward. "That doesn't tell us where we are. Or why we're here." Runali headed forward, towards the fountain and caught sight of the figure near and slowed down. "Uh, hello?"

The person twitched when Runali called at him, and turned around to look at her, revealing himself to be a male with ginger hair and pale grey eyes. The man pulled a bottle from under his coat. Whatever was inside the glass, it warranted using a rag to close the top of the bottle, instead of a normal cork stopper. The man used his free hand to light a match against the stones of the fountain, and placed the match under the rag. The cloth lit up easily, and the man lost his snow epaulettes as he reeled back and quickly threw the burning bottle against the top floor of the mansion.

Instead of a greeting, the man decided to set fire to the mansion. It wasn't the best greeting… but it certainly wasn't the worst. It did however set Runali on edge a bit, making her drift backwards near Pathfinder and Alicia. "I'm not too compelled to find out what his deal is, but uh, he's gotta be at least slightly important?"

~~~===~~~​

Arc, Zillia, Ray and Jack

The word 'heist' made Ray raise a curious brow. That was definitely more familiar. Something fit for a pirate. "Good to know we'll be making enemies in the land of the living and dead." He chuckled softly. However the only sympathy he could give to the mute doctor was a gentle reassuring pat on the arm. "Not the most enticing prize, but important nonetheless." He nodded towards her note. "Besides, Captain's orders right?" They may not have necessarily been to make more people angry, but the orders definitely were to split up and get said dirt and get out.

Never said how.

They were pirates.

The mention of an actual plan was definitely important. "We have a good team going here. Stealth wise. There's a chance we can get through this without being seen." It was high hopes for a group with the tag 'Stardusk', but it was a high hope nonetheless. Jack's idea of stealing it before or after warranted a nod from Ray. At least he was aware their chances of stealth.

"Aye, going in quiet would be our best bet. The Auction Hall has… things made to protect the place from people who do not feel like joining the due actioning process. Suffice to say, meeting them is not an option, especially for those who have secrets to tell and souls to be extracted. Worse, we might not be the only ones going after this prize. I do believe you all have noticed the radiant battlecruiser outside? More importantly, the uniform of the sailors manning the vessel?" he said and mirthlessly smiled. "It's… not a coincidence. From what little I was told, and I think that's about as much as there is to know without knowing unhealthily much, the ship is a remnant for the, well, World Government's project to make ships propelled by the Red Science. It worked, but… well, let's say the loyalties of the crew aboard that ship were slightly shifted the moment the engine was turned on."

"We do know there are WG's agents in Zakrazgoskos, sent in order to retrieve the Precious, as the battlecruiser is named. Was, anyway. I don't think the name it now bears is possible to pronounce without two mouths, three tongues and possibly a tentacle or two. We think WG might have an idea similar to ours, that is, to keep the crew, but get the bodies rid of their corrupted souls, and fashion them new ones from the primordial earth. This is a new information that was not part of the original plan, though, but I think we can consider it a nice bonus."

Ray frowned a bit. Anything dealing with the initials W.G. made him frown. Whether it was the Worst Generation or the World Government. It was usually bad news- although the former was more of an if and maybe. "So, basically. Avoid the government while also stealing… from an unknown entity and possibly also the government?" His hands steepled together for a moment, as if contemplating the complexity of the plan before giving a small shrug. "Well, we broke into their prison and stole our captain, might as well steal this from them too. Let's keep it consistent." There was another slight pause. "Although Jack's idea of before it gets into someone else's hands sounds much easier."

Hopefully they'd be able to get the layout of the place to get some idea of it before they went sneaking in but he figured that was a thing for tomorrow. "Speaking of," Ray started, even though no one could hear his train of thought leading up to that point. "You said we're enacting this plan tomorrow. Are you sure we have that kind of time? That…" His voice lowered a bit. "King didn't seem like a very patient and benevolent one."

"The auction is three days from now," the Navigator answered. "As of right now, we do not know where exactly the item is, or who exactly is the seller. We do know the auctioned items will be moved into the building the day before the auction itself, for assurance appraisal that they are genuine. There's no rush. As for our friends we left at the... court, I don't think concept of time applies to the right now. We have no realistic way of estimating how long will their endeavour take. You know how time can pass in dreams. You close your eyes for five minutes, but you head can lead you through a whole story in that time."

Last edited by a moderator:
AqDrdkd.png

Sara glowered at Luro, but stepped away from him. So, he had not gone through her stuff yet. "Listen." She said, raising a finger at him. "If I ever catch you going through my things, well..." She paused, curious to what he was afraid, Sara felt that threatening pain was a lost cause. What was it that Alicia threatened him with? "Or I'll keep all your alcohol for myself!"

With her threat made clear, she turned to focus on the larger picture, trying to ignore the Luros when she heard her name brought up. "Wussat?" She turned again, confused, focusing on the cloaked Luro. "What's he saying?" She asked curiously. Her thoughts were interrupted by her captain as she yelled at everyone, notably her and the Luros, to get their heads in the game. Realizing that she was brought down to the level of a Luro, she flushed with shame, with even the lion changing it's expression to that of embarrassment, as she struggled to maintain focus. "Yes, captain!" She replied, with a twirl of her spear. "Sorry, captain!"

When the time came to run, she stuck back at the rear, fending off snakes that survived the explosions, before being the last to leap into the hoop. She blinked when she leaped through and when she opened her eyes, she was somewhere entirely different. Sara shivered with the cold, having only just been in a very damp place. "W-where are we?" She chattered, looking around in awe. Seeing as no one was going to give her an answer, she shut her mouth and kept moving with the group, still taking in the surroundings. Sara truly hated the cold but at least the environment was pretty look at. When they arrived, she saw a man throw a cocktail into a mansion, her eyes opened with shock as she took a few faltering steps to the growing inferno before stopping. "Oh, right." She said, rather faintly. "It's not real."

Reactions: Mizos and Capt. Blu
wUsiFI0.png
x6 x7​

Luro noticed Cloaky fall first as the Captain pulled them falling in himself as he reached his hand out as black started to fill his vision, he felt a strange sleep try to overcome him. Right before he lost everything he felt a strange warmth as someone gripped his hand, he tried to open his eyes to see who it was only seeing a small smile on the face of the stranger before he fell completely asleep. He wasn't really sure what was going on but it was surprisingly comfortable, like drinking just the right amount of rum before passing out, not enough to black out completely but not too little where you want just a little more, the perfect balance. His whole body was surrounded by a strange warmth right before it was hit with an immense cold that forced his consciousness back almost painfully. His eyes remained closed as he tried to recapture a bit of the warmth. Though even the warmth that surrounded his hand was filled with cold now, his hands twitched slightly as he realized he was lying in something, and there seemed to be voices around him.

"Is he dead?"
"He looks dead."
"No he's twitching see."
"That's a death twitch."
"There is no such thing as a death twitch."
"Dead bodies twitch all the time then stop moving."
"dot dot dot."
"Shut up Cloaky no one asked you."
"That wasn't Cloaky it was me."
"Huh?"
"I said dot dot dot not Cloaky."
"Why would you say dot dot dot?"
"I didn't know what to say I kind of just added to it ya know."
"Well I'm going to go feel Miss Sara's armor now."
"You can't she'll stab you, poke Alicia's glowyness instead she'll be fine with it."
"That sounds like a great idea."
"The best idea!"
"I have nothing to add to this conversation!"

Luro opened his eyes and quickly sat up taking in a deep breath as his gaze rested on the six faces in front of him. He blinked a few times his gaze moving to the last person he heard speak, mainly because it sounded different than the others.
His gaze rested on a woman's face who stared back at him giving a small wave as she stood with the other Luro's who had crowded over him, save Cloaky who had been required to take a few steps back from them. His attention was more focused on the others and their new surroundings anyway. Luro stared at the red haired woman who blinked a few times Luro eyes moving to her form only to realize, similar to the others, she was dressed the same as him. He looked over at the other Luro's who looked at the newcomer and jumped back as Luro climbed to his feet brushing the snow off his body.
"Where'd you come from?" Lo asked eyeing the female Luro. "Uh..."
"Lura," the female Luro said holding a hand up. "Pleased to meetcha."
Lo looked over at Lai who shrugged his attention moving back over to Lura who seemed to be looking around at the others, offering a small wave to them as she did so.
"…um…I don't remember her," Lo said.
"Is she real?" Maka asked.
"Well that's hard to say, this world is different she could be a creation of this place for all we know," Lai said motioning over to Lura.
"That seems more than likely most of the Female Luro's died in the First Awakening," Lo said rubbing the back of his head.
"The Second Awakening," Banana said. "My kind were destroyed in the First, it was borderline genocide."
"Now Banana we aren't here to discuss the mistakes of our past, we need to make sure this Lura is one of us…and I know how."
Lai cleared his throat and walking up to Lura pat her on the shoulder to get her attention.
"Miss would you be so kind as to button that one button there," Lai said pushing his glasses back onto his nose.
Lura looked down at her slightly unbuttoned shirt before shaking her head and pointing at the Stardusk symbol.
"You can't see it if I do that, don't worry nothin' important is showing," she said waving a hand at him.
"She's definitely one of us," Banana said. "Except the feminine figure, we don't have that."
"Well we're guys though," Maka said. "
"That's no excuse fatty."
"It's mostly muscle," Maka said turning his head away and covering his face in shame.
"Gentleman I believe it's time for a Luro huddle!"
The four Luro's came together Lura, Cloaky and Luro deciding to stay out of it and check on the others.

Lura moved over to Alicia and with a grin extended a hand out to her to help her up, Cloaky hanging back as Luro noticed the Captain and Sara stand up on their own.
"Up you go love, still got stuff to do," Lura said. "Hope you're not too cold we got work to do."
Cloaky seemed to speak to Sara but as always his words made no sounds, though Lo raised his head from the huddle to shake his head at him before returning back to their hidden conversation.
"Let's not bother Masa too much Cloaky, she's not in a rum sharing mood, remember she wanted to steal it earlier," Luro said grinning at him. "We'll talk to her later about stuff."

Luro walked over to one of the buildings and ran his cloaked hand over it a small chuckle escaping from him, this dream place made all kinds of locations, he liked the area before but this place was pretty too. It had a weird charm too it he liked, he also liked the snow so that only made this place better. He glanced over at Pathainder as he talked about where they were, he brought a hand to his cloaked chin kneeling down to pick up a bit of snow letting it fall from his hand.
"So when the years end they do fun stuff with 'gas' that sounds great," Luro said looking over at the man. "I wonder what they do..."
He didn't receive an answer to the obvious question however as they continued to move forward once again, Luro couldn't contain a bit of his excitement of where they were going next, he had forgotten why they had come in here but that didn't matter with all the fun places they were going too.
"Captain this place is the best! You never know where you'll end up. This place is really nice too," Luro said folding his hands behind his head.
Cloaky nodded in agreement as the other Luro's retuned having finished their conversation, Lai cleared his throat and pat Lura on the shoulder before walking past her.
"You're accepted Miss Lura we're pretty sure we know you…kind of," Lai said. "A true Luro through and through. Welcome to the group."

The Luro's followed behind the others as they followed Pathdinder leaving behind a large trail of footsteps as they tried to keep up with the others, Maka fell behind a few times as he rolled around and played in the snow, only stopping when Lai pulled him along informing him there was no time for such frivolity. Seeing Luro and Lo had their arms back ready to thrown at the others he only brought a hand to his face pushing them along as well.
"So can I get a name?" Banana said.
"Banana's don't get names," Lo said.
"What if I was a coconut?"
"Well you're not-"
Lo cut himself off seeing Banana's Luro's head had become spherical resembling that of a coconut, the shape shifting Luro stared at him his eyebrows arching a few times causing Lo's eye to twitch. His attention moved over to Luro who shrugged his shoulders staring at the strangely visible face of Coconut Luro.
"We did name a coconut on the island…well we named all of them. Even the Captain was a coconut."
"Yeah remember what Alicia did as a coconut," Maka said.
"Oh the shame," Lai said shaking his head. "I still can't look her in the eyes fully."
"Oh man and Ray," Maka said. "The Scandal."
"Shhh not in front of the others, the Captain's Coconut was involved in that," Lai said bringing a finger to his lips.
Lo stared at the two looking back at Coconut Luro who shrugged his shoulders with a small smile.
"…fine…I guess we have to let you have a name…what do you want to be called?"
"Banana Luro," Coconut Luro said.
"Well that's fine but you're not a-"
Lo stopped himself seeing Banana Luro had returned to his normal shape.
"Fiendishly clever," Lo said with a small nod.
"That's probably why he survived the First Awakening," Lai said.

The Seven Luro's came to a stop with the others as they noticed the man ahead at the fountain, they looked at one another exchanging random glances, a mix of sultry, shocked, confused and smiling faces decorated the faces of the Luro's before the group seemed to come to a consensus about what they were looking at. When the man pulled out the bottle and hurled it igniting flames Luro tilted his head slightly at the scene and moved his hidden hands to his hips.
"Well that's a fancy way to set something on fire."
Luro looked over at Lai who seemed mesmerized by the fire, the bright flames reflecting in his glasses seemed to hypnotize him. He seemed to be holding something back as his body tensed, he brought a hand to his mouth biting his finger to a point where it was starting to bleed.
"Lai you okay?" Luro asked.
"Huh oh uh…yeah…I'm great…just uh…thinking."
"Okay…you're kind of bleeding friend."
"Yeah this is a new haircut thanks…just uh…have to make sure that fire doesn't spread…through any means."
"Is he always like this?" Lura asked leaning towards Lo.
"Yeah," Lo said. " I'd get used to it."
"Fire yay!" Maka yelled running towards the mansion.
He was stopped by Lura who pulled him back to their side, He reached towards the burning mansion but Lura seemed adamant about not letting him run into the building, something the other Luro's weren't really paying much attention to.
"None of that Maka," she said releasing him. "We still need to find that thing we're looking for, Pathtinder and this man are the only ones we've met we should focus on that and not running into burning mansions…okay love?"
"A mansion is burning?" Luro asked.
"Wasn't it?" Lura questioned.
"Guys it's still on fire in front of us," Lo said.
"Hold on Lo we're trying to figure out stuff," Luro said.
"I can smell the fumes guys."
"Lo stop being rude we're trying to figure out what's on fire," Maka said.
"Lai you wanna step in on this?" Lo said motioning to the three contemplaters.
Lo looked at Lai who was biting his knuckle and reaching towards the flames only to pull his hand back, he seemed to really be fighting against something and losing. Lo shook his head knowing there was little he could do to pull him from that. He looked over at Sara and motioned over to the burning mansion.
"You goin' soft on me Sara?" Lo said grinning at her. "I'm just foolin' It's not real but it seems real right? Good to know I'm not the only one a little bothered by this,"
"It's as real as we are Lo, I firmly believe that," Banana Luro said. "We should be cautious."
"Well thank you Bana-"
Lo cut himself off seeing Banana Luro's head had changed into a book with a red spine and a corncob pipe hanging out of his mouth, which he tapped on his arm before sticking back into his mouth, which was the inside of the book.
"How did we go from punching things to solving mysteries," Lo said throwing his hands up. "Captain, Sara, Alicia I hope one of you got ideas on what to do here cause we got nothin' on our end."
"Hey we got ideas," Maka said looking over at Lo. "Just none of them involve the current situation."
Cloaky's mouth moved and Lo pointed over at him with a shaking finger.
"You're opinion doesn't matter in this Cloaky. Figuring out what's going on is a stupid idea, unless anyone else says it, then it's a great idea."

v9gGHBl.png

Zilia squeezed the bridge of her nose and shook her head slightly, she wasn't sure how to feel about getting used to all this. Ray was correct however as they were the Captain's orders and the sooner they took care of it the sooner they could leave this place. She really wished they had some kind of plan from the Captain but going off the past few encounters she had a feeling she would have just winged it. Admittedly She wasn't against a more stealthy approach to this whole thing especially if they weren't the only ones going after the jar of dirt. If they could avoid a fight altogether that would be fortuitous, but she was concerned about the things that would bother soul bearing visitors. The fact that Kadi made it clear he only knew enough to do the job and nothing more also didn't bring too much comfort to the situation. From his earlier conversations he seemed full of answers but it seemed there was a limit to that as well.

After taking a moment to put aside how a tentacle would help with pronunciation she nodded at Ray her concerns similar to his own. The consequences that could come from not retrieving that jar worried her, though it seemed they had little choice but to wait from Kadi's explanation. She would have brought up taking a look around but she wasn't sure how large this place was and going off the earlier mentioned dangers she didn't like the idea of wandering around more than necessary anyway. She shut her eyes at the thought of dealing with the W.G. again, she was glad at the very least she wouldn't be going through it alone. Reaching up Zilia put a hand over her face as that still brought little comfort over staying in this place for a few days, Kadi seemed wholly fine but if time didn't matter to them they could be stuck down here for months if that was the case. She had a feeling the King was impatient but he seemed to have all the time in the world.

Taking out her notebook Zilia started writing as she had a few questions that needed to be answered. Finishing she slid a note onto the table before sliding another one shortly after.
"I have a few questions Kadi I suppose I'll start with the one that worries me the most. If time is such a…carefree thing to our dreaming crewmates is there a possibility we could be down her a long time…well if the King decides to wait? Lastly what is the Red Science? It must be something quite prominent to cause betrayal."
Zilia pulled her hands back folding them in her lap, she wasn't going to press too much for answers this time around, she at the very least had a basic understanding of what was ahead. Since they were talking about confronting it with tact and caution she felt a bit more relieved about their future task.

JVJll27.png

2bxbjVH.png

fU0WAmn.png

Shadow Captain, Armored Sara, Glowing Alicia, Luro^7

The burning bottle broke through one of the large windows of the winter garden, and shattered itself back. The oil inside caught fire from the lit rag, and turned into a fireball that engulfed large portion of the top floor greenhouse. The man at the fountain waited for a short while, examining the fruits of his labor, before turning around and running away from the dream.

"No. It is real, aktually," the Pathfinder answered to the Luro Ensemble. "Dere's no misteri. Just… some family business, I tink. It is baset on reaal events that happent, and the trauma the dreamer livet through kchas been enkapsulated in the dreeem. It is… more eazy to coeksist wit as such toghts in your hed," he said. "I think," he quickly added. "Beter to see tem only ven asleep."

The fires worked quickly on the mansion, and almost unnaturally soon the structure was on fire whole. Flames were punching through the roof, which would soon collapse down onto the winter garden, the falling rubble destroying what plant life the conflagration left behind. Windows were exploding outside, throwing shards of glass like shrapnels to shatter against the stone fountain, or stick into the fresh, fluffy snow. A circle of melted snow was spreading from the houses' foundations.

The front doors were thrown open, and a man, his features covered in burn scars, stumbled outside into the cold, followed by smoke and fire. The man was holding a short messer-style sword, and the iron was so hot, it seemed to fuse with his hand. With one swift motion, he stabbed himself into the chest and fell dead into the snow, his blood slowly staining it into a shade of crimson. The pooling blood would soon reach the nearest Luro's boots, and would start freezing around it.

The Pathfinder turned away from the scene. The man seemed very off by what has just happened, and made great effort to hide it. "Anyway. Ve best be off. Not a ting you kame to see, is it?" He faced the gut-wrenchingly vertiginous impossibly long street, and started walking. "Just… let's get out of heere, yes?"

No matter how far it seemed for them to walk, the small plaza behind them was always the same distance when they looked back, but the Pathfinder repeatedly told them they were making a headway. Eventually, the street would seamlessly transfer into a spacious square full of murky fog. The location proved to be a spacious church of some sort, after the Pathfinder walked into a peg, and his cursing came back with a distant echo. A realization dawned on his face.

He explained, in a very hushed tone, that some sort of parasite stalked this house of god, an invader into the dreamer's mind and body. A someone else's problem, something they simply had no business being involved in. "Unless any of you want to now how it feels to have your tonkue pulled out through your ears and nostrils at the seeme time, that is." he continued. "I don't."

Perhaps through sheer sense of poor luck, or perhaps because something started to gnaw at the back of her mind, Sara would feel compelled to look back, towards the direction from which they seemingly entered the cathedral. The tug at her would get stronger as she'd start to turn herself, until she stood with the back to the rest of her friends and the Pathfinder, who was leading them out of this bad place.

The Eye was there. Just millimeters from her, but still as insanely large as when she saw it at the bottom of the Undersea. It was not injecting itself into her memory this time, no, the thing was the stalker in the mist of this dream, it was here with them. And it was looking for something new to take control of. The tug and gnaw on her psyche suddenly grew in intensity to madness-inducing levels. What previously felt like annoying buzz inside her head was now logic-deafening blare, an impossibly strong mental gale that tried to blow away her itself, to make space for whatever the nightmare wanted to do with her soul. Somewhere in the back of her existence, the primitive vestiges of her personality were still desperately refusing to let go, like a wounded dying animal that refused to accept the inevitable reality.

Flee, she said to herself. Run, she whined desperately like a hurt puppy.

His experience in navigating the dreams helped him find a way out quickly, a doorway behind the altar that led to another amusing experience. This time, they were thrown onto a small balcony inside an impossibly tall clocktower. The structure seemed to stretch forever above them, and was a bottomless pit below, cogs and gears whirling all around them in neverending mechanical cacophony. "Ah," the Pathfinder said. "Someone's havink a vertiko dream. Bad stuff." He turned to face them. "Uhm. I may should have eksplained this. We… need to go trough the unpleaszant dreams. Less kompany. Noone wants to skedaddle in bad dreams. Anyway…" He turned to face the bannister of the balcony, and leaned over, looking below. "Knoving vertiko dreams, well… ve have to go up. Through the mekanism, use it as platforms, I tink. There vill be some klosure up top."

All of it was a little hard to comprehend, going in and out of dreams that weren't there own, just to get to some unclear destination. However the captain pushed forward, keeping her crew close and accounted for. It was easy to tell that they were all confused, as they all should have been, so she gave quiet reassurances every once in awhile. And every once in awhile, she'd nod to Pathfinder to show she was listening. During their trip, the captain had to count and recount the number of crew members she had. "You keep multiplying and I'm not going to remember any of your names." Of course she was talking to the Luros. Grant it, it only made the captain further question Luro's (the 'real one') sanity. If that were even possible.

There weren't any questions she had about the dreams they went into but the moment they stopped to clarify about 'vertigo dreams', she looked up at the cogs and gears in the tower. "Well?" Runali looked back at her crew and pointed to the top. "Up we go." She glanced at Sara and the multiple Luro's as she lead the way up, getting a head start. "First one to the top has to buy drinks when we get outta here." It was moreso to get them to quicken the pace. "And if Alicia wins, well, she gets to pick your poison." Again, more incentive to get them to move forward in the unknown space.

Fortunately, there were no tricks to this dream, it was just to climb up. And if they so happened to miss their step, they'd just fall and have to catch up again. Being some form of a shadow, the captain thought it would be relatively easy to make it to the top. That was until one mishap of her physical form disappearing as she tried to reach out for a slow turning gear.

A large stable platform was suspended on chains above them, and all the platforms and cogs and spinning things they could grab seemed to lead them there. The platform was just s thick plate of steel, with chains bolted in the corners. This made for a relatively rickety construction that swayed like a ship on high ocean when someone tried to climb aboard it. In the center stood a simple doorway, seemingly leading nowhere. The Pathfinder opened it. From both sides of the door, it appeared to be leading somewhere outside, into a clearing in the middle of a pine forest. "Nice place, for a kchange," the Pathfinder murmured and strolled through, getting his boots once more soiled in earth and mud.

And Alicia Tashigi? The Maiden of Misery made it safely out of the snake infested swamp. The sudden shock of transferring from the embattled swamp to the serenely cold and quiet city, shrouded in holiday spirit was a slight shock on her adrenalin-infused, primed nerves, but her discipline, experience and training allowed her to quickly adjust, both in body and soul. A lot of things have happened in the last few moments, and the warrioress felt she would have to spend some time meditating on them to properly digest all that already took place.

Pathfinder's cryptic explanation of the nature of this dream did resonate strongly in her. Some painful things could not be held in conscious memory too strongly, for they would harm and cut and distract, but could not be simply cast away, as the first scar they caused was something integral to their self. She said nothing as the man ran out of the building and killed himself, sparing himself the pain and misery.

No. Not a thing they came to see. She followed Pathfinder as he led them out of the dream.

The dreamscape cathedral was an impressive sight, but for something constructed in un-reality, the craftsmanship was simple at best, and stood as architecturally significant as a pile of rocks to some of the finer elegant and eloquent constructions of the Yula-Fei royal architects. This place was a cell to whatever deity it worshipped, and would prove unremarkable in every way, if only Sara didn't fall like a sack of potatoes as they were ready to leave the dream, her armour rusted and the filigree email peeling. She held vanguard as the Luros carried her away, and left the dream as last.

The clockwork tower was a simple challenge, compared to the other dreamscape grotesqueries. Agility, constitution and timing were the kings here, all of which Alicia held in abundance. The clockwork danced, and Alicia simply had to fall in line, and dance better than the machine. An easy task for a fighter of the Tashigi pedigree. Soon enough, she found herself passing through the final portal, and standing at the serene meadow.

It was warm summer here. The forest and the grassy clearing smelled of a distant, forgotten summer, fragrant with hard to define sweetness. Forest birds could be heard chirping, and insects were buzzing around them, working the many bright coloured wildflowers that made the meadow their home. In the center of the meadow was a portal, standing amid ruins of what used to be a tiny chapel to some unknown deity. The flagstones of the road leading through the forest to this place were long overgrown, and the bricks of the structures were being slowly ripped apart by advancing roots.

"So," the Pathfinder started. "We're safe noe. This iz the gate to the place you're lookin' foe. Kan't follow you through, I fear. I don have a korporeal body to use as an ankor to this side, sadly. Long, and… unfortunate story, I tink. Not one fit for this place. But if you don't want teo go yet, and I think all of us kould use a small break, we can talk, if you have kvuestions."

~~~===~~~​

The Navigator nodded after reading Zilla's note. "Yeah, yeah… look, have you ever closed your eyes, went for a nap, and had a dream? A full fledged, dreamy story going on, spanning hours, feeling like a whole lifetime? And then you woke up and realized you were napping for fifteen minutes, at best?" He helped himself for some of the remaining liquor. "Time is… wonky when asleep, yes? It bends and ebbs as the dream sees fit. I would not be too surprised if we arrive just in time to see one of the wonders of the universe, Luro waking up in a puddle of water. The King has no control over the dreamscape, that is the domain of the soul, and he has none. His… power, or domination, is over the corporeal. He lays claim to all the drowned sailors, but only the bodies. He has no power over the souls leaving the perished." He drank some of the sweet alcohol to moisten his throat. "Anyway, that is the base of his feud with Davy Jones, I believe. Davy wants souls, yes? But those are not useful just as they are, they need something to ride, something to act through. So Davy also grabs the odd body or two. The King is simply anxious to finally enact some sort of revenge on the Flying Dutchman. He does have all the time in the world, but that cannot be said about his temper."

"As for the Red Science… let's just say that everyone will be better off if that ship lays at the bottom of the deepest sea. It is a… potent force, but it has its own will. Actually, let me start elsewhere."

"This place, this… city, it feeds off on ambition. It whispers to you it can give you whatever you need, for a small price. A fair deal. A fix for your life, and another bone on the necklace for this place. That's how the Auction House came here. It used to be a tomb of some forgotten monarch, whose son feared he'd never step over the shadow of his father. So he sold the resting place of his father for a shiny new crown. What use he had for a resting place of a man who only reminded him daily of his own perceived inadequacy? Funny thing is, it is said he was not a bad leader, even before this incident. The notion he would be simply seen as lesser to his old man, well, that was all in his head. Suffice to say, this place learned it could seek people with… deficiencies, perceived or real, and feed off them. That's why you often find so many things from Brass Cape here, actually. Cape is ambition, and this place can sate that, easily."

"Anyway, the Red Science was left here by a traveller from a far off land. Zorakizona though it would control it, as it saw itself as its rightful owner, being sold to the place by the traveller, but it proved too strong. Now the force it resides in the mountains to the south. The red lightning on the horizon is the Red Science, fighting with something that could actually match its power. That's why you are not supposed to look at those red flashes, and why is there that asinine high wall. The sailors on Precious had their souls blown away by the Red Science when the ship's main engine was started, and whatever animates their bodies is just something in service of Red Science, mimicking a real human being. The ONW agents think that they can pull the same trick twice, and fashion new minds for the bodies of the crew from the Earth. They would then control the crew, and could still use the dreadnought powered by Red Science."

While Arcadius was unloading information onto the group, Ray sat with his chin on his knuckles, taking a sip of his drink every now and again. He didn't have much to comment about in regards to what was being told, and he wasn't sure he fully understood it all. He understood it, at least surface level, and that was fine for now. Being in such unfamiliar territory made gave him a more one track mind about the situation. The talk about Red Science and seemed like something of interest, but maybe for later.

As the chatter continued, it became a slight buzz in the background as Ray stared at his drink. That odd feeling that he had gotten the moment they had gotten to the UnderSea hadn't gone away. Ignoring it didn't seem to help either. It almost felt like a part of him had been missing- more like taken away. But it had to have been all the talk of soul searching and being so similar a situation where they had died once before. Maybe it was just him rememberingbeing with Davy and that pestering spirit he encountered before.

Ray hadn't realised his grip had tightened around the cup he was using, so he slowly let it go, more surprised he hadn't frozen it solid, something that normally happened when he was lost in spiraling thoughts. 'Probably just tired from everything going on…' "I think, it's probably best if we get some rest considering our… busy schedule tomorrow."

"Aye," the Navigator agreed. "That we do. Currently, the plan is to sneak ourselves into the Exceptional Feast held the evening before the auction, at the Auction House. For that we'll need a set of suitably expensive clothes. We'll visit the seamstress tomorrow morning for taking measures. She's being paid extra to have them done overnight. After that, we'll have the rest of the day to take measure of the place, and to obtain what tools we will need for the work. And for our escape. The steamer is ready to leave at a moment's notice, so if anything goes bad from now on, we will regroup there. We can use it to escape out of the city."

"Now, if you do not mind, I'll head to our rooms upstairs. Been a long… well, not really sure if you can refer to it as a day here, with no Sun, but there is certain cycle to the glimmer in the ceiling, and the locals accept that as a substitute to counting days. I bid you all a good night, such as it can be found here. Try to not dream too deeply. The threshold into that place is thin here, as you all probably surmised already, and we are too pressed in time to allow ourselves any distraction."

~~~=== Next day, "Pin and Needle" Tailor's, Highwater Street===~~~

The door of the small workshop opened, the motion accompanied by a merry jingle of the above-door mounted bell. Arcadius stepped through, walked down the short stone stairs that led to the street, walked around a corner to a narrow side street, calmly leaned against a wall and let out a shriek that would not put shame on a wounded animal ten times his size. The seamstress was, no doubt a skilled and experienced at her craft, but seemed to to think others were there to suffer for her craft, as far as putting measurement pins went. In her case, through the fabric and into the skin. A ping of pain against his skin at the back of his neck told him she forgot one there, possibly as a farewell gesture. Or a branding. Carefully removing it, he noticed a shade of crimson red at the tip of the pin. "I hate this place," he said to the brick wall.

"Me too, but what can you do?" answered the wall.

The Navigator emerged from the side street with an expression of a doe that has chased to last inch of its life by greyhounds with chainsaws for teeth. He would wait outside for the others to emerge from the shop, wondering if he was the only one to get the acupuncture experience, of if the mistress seamstress was capable of mercy and amiability. A food cart rolled past, selling fried bits of kelp with spicy sauce. Arcadius bought enough for everyone.

Whatever was the status of the rest of his friends that emerged from the shop, he'd offer them a greasy paper bag with the kelp, until they were all outside. "Alright, I guess that was the easy part of today, that would be the one that did not require any thinking. Now, let's go see the auction house, shall we?"

The Auction House was terraced pyramid, half in height of the great brick wall that protected the city from the Red Science glare from the south. The ziggurat used to be a house for the dead body of a king, but that was long in the past. Now, an impressive entrance was excavated into the monumental stair that led from the street to the tip of the building, allowing guests to skip the climb and enter the main foyer directly. Outside, the building was surrounded by haphazard collection of building from all over the history of the world, in some places directly leaning against the pyramid, in some places keeping distance and creating small plazas, like it was in front of the main entrance.

The navigator would lead them inside as well, as far as they'd be allowed when the Auction was not being held. The foyer was made from expensive, polished marble; the pillars, the floors, the benches and the teller pegs, everything build to show how exactly wealthy and fat has this institution grew by servicing the ambition and desire. On one end, the hallway was open to the city, on the other it ended with two double winged door on a balcony overlooking the hall, with small winding stairs leading up to the balcony. The door were reinforced with heavy steel sheet, and seemed to be opened by a set of several keys, judging by the amount of holes.

"Well, here we are," the Navigator said in a hushed tone. "This is where the Exceptional Fest will be held. Everything here will be replaced with tables full of only the most decadent delicacies, surrounded by all the people who mean something."

He looked around. "So… how will we rob this place?"

Last edited:
AqDrdkd.png

Sara tried to ignore the addition of more Luros but couldn't help but be fascinated by the concept of a female Luro, now dubbed Lura. She wondered how much she shared with her... brother? Original? What was even the proper nomenclature for this scenario anyway? Pushing these questions and more out of her mind, she dutifully followed the crew.

When they witnessed a man stabbing himself with a super-heated sword, Sara didn't even blink. By now, she had gotten use to the bizarre and frankly she didn't see the point of asking questions that no one could reasonably answer. Instead, she took her time and looked around, taking in her surroundings with a perceptive eye. As they walked, Sara kept looking back, trying to see if they made any spatial progress but it appeared that they were stuck in the same spot, despite the Pathfinder's insistence that they were making progress.

Sara stared up at the cathedral, her head tilted in curiosity. She had never seen a church, at least not one as big as this before. So, why was there one here, what significance did it hold? All these questions, she shook her head, they never stopped coming.

'Turn around'

She froze. No one around her had said that, not even the Luros.

'Turn around!'

She heard it again, but this time much more louder. With the sensation that she was no longer in control over her own body, Sara felt herself pivot on her feet.

In a brief instant, Sara understood and she did not want to. It was the scale of it all that got her. To understand Sara's experience, first picture a never ending black void that stretches out to infinity. Then, visualize a
microscopic white dot, utterly insignificant next to the sea of black. The white dot has a legend, a tiny arrow pointing to it. On the arrow, a small label can be read.

'You are here'

Sara stared up at the thing that only she was seeing , with widened panic filled eyes, and screamed. She felt her eyes roll back into her head and she fell, slipping into the comforting grasp of unconsciousness. As she landed, splayed out, her armor now covered with deep cracks and rust.

wUsiFI0.png
8 x7​

Lo glanced over at Pathquinder as he spoke about how real the situation actually was, his attention moving in the direction the man had run off to before he focused back on the house in front of them. He couldn't deny this whole thing did seem real he could even feel the heat from here, and judging from Lai rubbing his arms and occasionally gripping his shirt it was real enough to get a response out of him at least. What he said about dreams was pretty interesting though, boring and not violent but interesting still.
"So this is someone's dream," Lo said scratching his cheek. "I don't really get it but okay."
"This is a realm of dreams there is a chance we are passing through a fragment of someone's slumbering consciousness, fragments or something in that respect. An impossibility in physical bodies but...well that's not a thing anymore," Lai said glancing over at him. "I believe that's what he said but he is better versed in this place than I, so take that explanation with a bit of caution."

When the man came out of the flames the Luro's tilted their head simultaneously at the man's actions, Lai the only one watching with a smile rather than confusion and a trace of casual interest. They all watched the man stab himself, Maka clapping only for Lura to grab his hand and lower them to indicate it wasn't the time. Lai reached up and closing his eyes removed his glasses taking out a small cloth, he cleaned them for a moment placing them back on his eyes before opening them again staring at the dead body in the snow. It seemed he was confirming that such a matter had truly occured, seeing the body was still there he cleared his throat seeming to shake something out of his being for a moment as he spoke.

"Yes perhaps moving forward is a good idea," Lai said.
"Why did he stab himself though?" Maka questioned.
"Probably to end the pain I guess, " Lo said.
"Really? Seems like a wasted opportunity," Maka said.
"Yeah imagine if he was on fire and killed like eight people before dying that would be a story," Lo said with a nod.
"Loves..." Lura said moving her hands to his hips. "One be more ambitious, he could have killed twelve, and two now is not the time for such things we should go."
"Yeah guys we have to continue forward into the horizon."
The Luro's all turned to see another Luro standing next to them, his hair was tied in a long braid and he raised his hand to the others starting to speak when Cloaky walked over and started pushing him towards Luro who was closest to the body.
"Nope," Lo said. "No more get back in there. For once I agree with Cloaky."
"Wait what but I have so much love to give," the new Luro said. "Listen listen I have a great name it's-"
"Don't care get in there," Lo said.
Cloaky got the new Luro up to Luro who turned to face him, he was halfway inside Luro when he pushed against something half hanging out of the cloaked Luro who tilted his head at the scene as the newcomer tried to resist getting pushed back in.
"I don't want to go back in there it smells funny!"
"He is right it does smell funny," Maka said nodding. "I'm okay with another one."
"No the Captain said she'd forget our names, if the Captain forgets we'll probably forget."
"...that is true," Lai said. "Sorry newcomer back in you go. We have enough quirkiness with just us anyway."
"I-I can add so much though! I tell jokes, what did the seagull say to the pirate! He-"
The new Luro didn't get a chance to finish as he was shoved back in Luro who looked down at his body as Cloaky walked away to go and catch up with the others. The Luro's followed not wanting to fall behind except Maka who looked at Luro and kicked at the snow a bit.
"I wanted to know how it ended...."

Luro was the one to stop hearing something behind them and turning noticed Sara lying on the ground, he walked over to her and kneeling down poked her a few times in the cheek. Not getting a response he stood fully up not sure what to do. If Sara was dead that was going to lead to all kinds of bad things, he was pretty sure Z would be angry if that happened and he had a feeling the Captain might be upset too. He wondered if he shot her somewhere if she'd wake up, then at the very least he'd know exactly if she was dead or not. Luro reached for the rifle on his back only to have a hand stop him as Lura walked over to him.

"I don't think she's dead Lu-lu," Lura said kneeling down.
"She looks dead," Maka said walking over.
"Yep she's dead," Lo said.
"I get her stuff if she's dead," Banana said walking next to them.
"Why do you want it?"
"I like her pointy stick."
"The spear?"
"Yeah that."
"She's not dead she didn't twitch."
"There isn't a death twitch, that other guy didn't death twitch."
"That guy was on fire it doesn't count."
"Gentleman! We have more important matters to attend too," Lai said joining the group. "Her beautiful armor has been destroyed!"
"What about her life?"
"Huh...oh yeah that too..."
Cloaky's mouth moved and Lo looked over at him slowly shaking his head, though as he continued to talk the other Luro's attention focused back on Sara. Whatever he said seemed to clarify that their fellow crewmate wasn't dead, which caused Lo to removed his hand from his rifle as well.
"Well we can't leave her here," Lai said. "I'll get her, let's not forget to carry her like a princess since she's delicate. Allow me gentleman."
"That's not happening with you wanting to grope her armor, I'll do it," Lo said.
"No no I got it, just stay there," Lai said. "Don't worry."
Lai knelt down and tried to lift Sara up but with one attempt there was a loud crack before he fell to the ground groaning in pain in a half fetal position, Maka flinched and Lo closed one eye as Banana turned his head trying to hold in his snickering to no avail. Lura and Luro looked at one another not sure what to say to Lai who was rolling on the ground holding his back, only Cloaky turning deciding to leave him to the others.
"Why...why don't I get her," Lura said.
Lai started to say something when Lura easily lifted Sara into her arms and slightly jogged to catch up with everyone else. Lo rubbed the side of his head looking over at Lai as Maka pushed him back and forth with his foot.
"I mean we could have done that..."
"No you couldn't," Luro said walking after Lura.
"Like you know...actually yeah you do never mind."
"This is utterly embarrassing for you huh!" Maka exclaimed grinning at Lai. "I'd be sooo embarrassed if I was you right now. I'd feel complete and utter shame! Well maybe a little bit not a lot, you should feel plenty though!"
"Hate this...hate all of this."

Lai brought a hand to his chin having recovered from his back breaking labor earlier and stared at Pathpinder as he spoke about the dreams they were passing through. He wasn't sure what to really say about passing through the bad dreams, he didn't mind the company of others, but there was a chance they could meet someone who wouldn't enjoy the pleasure of their company. That aside they hadn't encountered anything too terrible in their trek, the snakes coming before their travels with the strange old man, he couldn't deny being a tad parched however, only Luro had rum on him and he made it clear he wasn't sharing with them.
"Well whatever get's us to the-"
Lai cut himself as the Captain spoke about drinks, all the Luro's save Lura who was carrying Sara tumbled over one another to climb up the stairs faster, Luro jumping off Maka's head as he got the lead on everyone.

"We can't let Alicia choose the drinks, she doesn't know the rum we like!" Maka yelled.
"Look Alicia it's Satia! Stare that way for five minutes!" Banana said shoving Lo out of the way.
"Every Luro for himself!"
"...........!"
"Hey hey I don't mind stabbing a banana!"
"Bring it four eyes!"

On the platform the Luro's stood next to each other glancing at each other as they looked towards the top. It was clear they wanted to reach it first to get their respected drinks, save Luro who took a small drink from a bottle on his person forgetting he had it. He looked over at the other Luro's who stared at the bottle rubbing their hands together, seeing their expressions he slowly put the bottle back before a Luro was pushed. Luro quickly leaned forward catching Maka by his ankle, Cloaky grabbing his other ankle as they held him over the edge as the platform slowly rose higher.
"Okay who did that?" Luro asked looking back.
Lo pointed at Banana, and Banana pointed at Lai who pointed at Lo.
"We're not killing each other over rum again," Luro said pulling Maka back onto the platform. "We can do that later when you can come back to life. You okay Maka?"
"Again!" Maka yelled throwing his hands into the air.
"I'll throw you off something later," Luro said patting Maka's head.
"Promise!"
"Promise."
"Lura you should come too!"
Lura arched a brow at Maka staring into the sparkling childlike eyes of the Luro before offering a small smile to him and slowly shaking her head.
"Afraid not love, I intend on sitting by the fire and warming up with a good book."
Luro and Maka stared at Lura who held a straight face for a moment before light laughter escape from her.
"I'm just kidding, of course I'll help bring an end to your fragile existence."
"Yay!"

When they reached the portal Lai stared at it alongside Cloaky, if this man had led them in the right direction then the prophet would be in here. He looked back at Luro who was checking his rifle humming to himself as he made sure everything was in place, Lo cracked his knuckles with a grin on his face. He knew one of them that at the least was hoping things would get complicated, though he couldn't shake a strange feeling in his gut. He couldn't determine what it was but it kept bothering him.

"My questions are essentially endless," Lai said shaking his head. "I am curious of a few things though, you said the good dreams are inhabited by others correct, thus why we took the 'bad' route. Are there are more people like you in here, those without bodies to go back too who understand the ins and out of this world. This place still confuses me, are the people we see fragments of the dreamer or are they souls trapped in this place reliving the dreams they had when they had forms? Do you have any specifics on that?"

v9gGHBl.png

Zilia nodded as Kadi spoke to her and when he was finished she poured herself a bit more of her drink and took a small sip before bringing a gloved hand to her mouth. She wasn't sure what to take from that but she hoped that when they got back it was just as he said, Luro would be waking up in a puddle along with the others. She supposed there was little power she had over it anyway, as that was the case she focused on Kadi as he spoke of the history of the Auction House. This place played off insecurities and promised what wasn't easily attainable, if that was the case it was far worse than she thought, this whole place used temptation and the Auction House seemed to be one of the places where that focused. If she was understanding all of this correctly, she honestly still felt confused about everything.
"So the Red Science is that dan- wait did he say expensive clothes!"
Zilia quickly started scribbling on her notebook hearing Kadi was leaving to sleep.
"Wait I'm against this, I don't like expensive clothes! Wait no sleeping, let's talk about this!"
Zilia held her note up but she noticed everyone was already leaving, she lowered her head onto the table realizing there was little she could do to stop what was going to follow. That was the one good thing about being a pirate, there was no need to dress for fancy dinners. She moved her hands to her head at the thought of having to wear a dress again, she almost wished for the dangerous dream world at this point.

Zilia tried to explain to the seamstress that she didn't need anything fancy, perhaps there was a way to make an expensive garment that didn't look expensive or to just use low quality material. Her repeated attempts seemed useless however as she felt like her letters were going unnoticed. The woman was lost in her own world poking her with needles, which made her wonder if she had upset her at some point during the measuring. Zilia made her way out the side pulling a needle out of her arm, she made no sound during the measuring wondering if she should have explained why she was using letters to talk which of course made her move, and probably made measuring slightly harder.

She had little choice but to wait until the dress was done to see if she was listened to and left out the side knowing she needed to rejoin the others. This wasn't the last thing they had to do today, they had somewhat of a plan and only a few days to get everything together. The others were probably working hard so she couldn't allow herself to do any less. Reaching up she slapped her cheeks trying to get herself together before her gaze moved over to the wall. Reaching up she ran a hand over it her eyelids lowering slightly at the rough texture she could feel even with her gloves on. It was hard to believe there was an actual city under the ocean, that this wasn't a fabrication or dream, but as real as the stone she was touching.
"Could you go a little lower?" The wall said.
Zilia immediately pulled her hand away hearing the voice and promptly made her way out of the alley to meet with the others, her eyes twitched as regret filled her for letting her guard down, even for a moment in a place like this.

Zilia took the food from Kadi with a nod and took a small bite as he reminded them that this was the easy part, if getting stabbed by tiny needles and talking to walls was the easy part she was concerned about the rest of the day.
There was little wonder in Zilia's eyes when they made it to the Auction house, it was an impressive structure that much was certain, but this place was formed from the manipulation of others, and created by a lack of self-esteem. There was no true beauty in this place, it was fake, a place distorted by the twisted dreams of those who resided within it. All guilt she felt at the idea of stealing from this place almost instantly vanished the moment she laid proper eyes on it. She didn't like thinking about how much was taken from someone else for the marble that surrounded them.
This place makes me feel sick…I hope we don't have to stay here too long."

Zilia handed Kadi a letter at his quiet question, though due to the fact she was writing things down she made sure to be very careful with her wording.
"Perhaps observing the place from above would help us gain a different perspective on the beauty of this place, though I also wouldn't mind knowing the exits in case I get lost so it's easier to meet up after."
Zilia looked up at the balcony, so long as they didn't draw attention the balcony wasn't a bad place to better observe the Auction House and considered possibilities should they arise. Though she wasn't sure what to do about the door minus taking the keys but that seemed like a bad idea. Zilia also knew Stardusk adventures had a habit of going…badly, she liked the idea of knowing which way was out, in every direction.

mg5L8yj.png

Jack finished his smoke a block from the Auction House and smothered it beneath his boot. He'd been smoking nonstop since early in the morning...or, what he presumed to be morning. The bags beneath his eyes indicated how little sleep he achieved, after a nightmare re-introduced him to the giant eye he witnessed with the black chessboard. Shaking his head, Jack focused on the Auction House. He looked at the splendid building with a critical eye, noting its pyramid structure would make it simple to climb, though from their advantage point he saw no windows that could provide alternative entry points. Despite their conversation yesterday revealing their objective was to be moved to the House the day before the actual event took place, their visit to the tailor told Jack they would, in fact, be carrying out the theft during, instead of before, the auction. He wished that wasn't the case but at least they will blend in, and everyone's attention would be on the auction itself, making it easier for them to move without being noticed.

The cook released a low whistle once they reached the interior. Such splendor he'd only seen once- maybe twice- in his travels across the seas. Every time admiration filled him as he wondered how long it took to build such places, the money and people it took to bring pleasure to so few.

While Zilia posed her questions to Kadi, Jack detached from the group and began walking the House's perimeter. It alarmed him at first, Kadi so blatantly posturing how to rob this place but it was evident it was deserted, for the moment. Jack walked and noted immediately visible exits were, if there were windows and where they were placed, the halls and rooms leading off from the main lobby and finally, inspecting the large metal door upon the balcony. If our prize is behind this door...we'll have to find another way in than through it, he thought. A single glance told him the door was too thick to punch through with Armament Haki, and the number of keyholes meant greater risk if they tried stealing each key. All in all, too much work and risk to go through.

His circuit completed, Jack walked to the balcony's railing and called down to Stardusk's Navigator, "I would think the answer to your question first requires more details. The location of the prize, for one. Where will it be once they move it here? How many people are expected to attend the auction? What is our window of time to steal it?"

JVJll27.png
2bxbjVH.png

fU0WAmn.png

Before the captain could move too far ahead, Sara's scream stopped everyone in their tracks. She was a bit higher than them, so she turned in her tracks and hopped down back to figure out what was going on. However, before she could get in a word the Luro's were scrambling to reach the top of the… wherever they were going.

"Shouldn't you-" The captain caught up with Lura, who was holding the unconscious Sara, armor and all, rather easily. "Shouldn't we wake her up? You know, so you don't have to carry her all the way up?" Captain frowned a little. "And also to figure out what happened…" There wasn't enough worry in the world when it came to her crew's wellbeing, but she kept it hidden well. And while she pondered it over, Lura had no problem carrying Sara the rest of the way.

Before they crossed the gate, she raised her hand to stop the group. "We can't go in there until we're sure Sara's okay. I don't know what's past this gate and I don't need her getting worse." She looked in Alicia's direction, hoping she had a better idea of how to wake Sara up before the Luro squad chimed in.

It took a bit of work, but they couldn't wait any longer than they had. The captain crouched in front of Sara when she finally woke and patted her shoulder. "Welcome back to the land of the living. Sorta. Can't have you dying on me now." She gestured towards the gate behind her before helping Sara to her feet. "I'd typically allow you to hang back and wait for us here but… I don't trust being separated in a place that's constantly shifting like the water.

Sara would feel off, her head giving her the combination of the hangover and solid trauma. Her armour was still beaten all to hell, but her eyes seemed alive as before, and everything was still where she left it before the encounter. Nothing seemed like too out of the ordinary.

The captain saluted Pathfinder. "We appreciate the help getting us this far. I suppose any parting advice would be helpful."

"Wish I had somtink for yoou, but all I know is, this place is not good. You search for the Propet, yes? True, it is known he went through that portal. But whatever lies beyond, I kan't say. I don't know if he still eksist, too." He fell silent for a moment afterwards. "You came from the fish kastle. Means you kame by ship. How did you know about where to go to get to Unterzee?"

There was a moment's pause between Pathfinder's question and the captain's response, almost as if she wasn't sure of the answer herself. Or maybe even as if she didn't want to say. Runali gave a small shrug before quietly responding, "I don't think we have that much time in the world to answer that- not even in this place." She tapped her cheek before adding, "But I suppose, 'I have a really great navigator', should be enough."

The Pathfinder found himself a nice, soft spot under a fresh pine and sat down, bidding the adventurers a hearty "goodchbye". Each step across the meadow towards the ruined portal felt like one was approaching something impossibly old, like slowly walking into a library that housed tomes holding knowledge more ancient than the hapless reader should digest.

Up close, the illusion of a lush green forest fell apart as the raw power of what stood before them truly unfolded. Each pace made the forest around them older, and the portal more pristine, undamaged and new. Finally, at the center of a flat, blasted landscape eroded by entropy, the portal stood as a lone structure in the middle of the nothing that stretched for eaons, the dream finally showing itself as it was supposed to be dreamed. An artifact untouchable by time.

What laid on the other side was impossible to describe by mere words, as the multitude of sensory inputs simply destroyed one's perception of the moment for a short while. The passage through the portal was a simple process, with just a quick dash of nausea as one was compressed into nothing and stretched into everything as the passed between the planes.

Nothing made sense. And nothing would ever make sense about this situation. Runali was sure of that. As they crossed through the portal, she gave a final salute to Pathfinder in thanks before everything behind them disappeared to be replaced with death and decay. Immediately, Runali was on high alert.

The Inbetween was, in one word, rot. Sweet smelling, nostril clogging rot. The other side of the portal was placed on a small island outcropping from a swamp that was composed of quickly rotting and decaying bodies of everything. A dim blue glow hung over the whole grotesque apparition, here and there pierced by a falling corpse of a newly dead thing. People, livestock, fish, everything was falling from the skies. Smaller creatures often managed to fully decay before landing, arriving as a small pile of clattering dry bones, while larger entities often exploded upon falling, spraying vile limbs and organs around them.

This was the place where souls arrived to shed their corporeal existence and leave the world behind, to be unburdened on their path, well… on their path beyond. And in this insanity, the fortress of the Last Prophet hid from everything there was and there will ever be, trying to sneak under the nose of the abyss by dancing on the sharp edge of the cliff.

The place was easy to find, actually. In a world that was uniformly covered in slimy, knee-high layer of coagulated blood and desiccating tissue, anything taller than tibia of an elephant was easy to spot. On the horizon, clouded by vapor and the blue hue of souls being finally free of earthly suffering, like a waiting giant stood a tall ziggurat-fortress. The Prophet would be waiting there for them.

"Not what I expected. Stay cautious and try not to-" She paused as bones fell and shattered in front of her. "Get hit." She motioned for Luro and Cloaky to stand in front of the group with her, with Alicia and Lura beside Sara. The rest, she entrusted to keep a lookout around them. With a confirming point, Runali spoke again. "We're storming the castle."

~~~===~~~​

Ray, like the others had a tough time with the seamstress sizing them for clothing, but returned to the group as dapper as when he was a royal. The thought of it made him frown up for a second until he realized he was too wrapped in his own head. While Jack inspected and Zilia questioned, Ray adjusted a button on his cufflink, making sure the ones he had gotten from Mrs. Lev were safe and tucked in his pockets. Just in case we'd need to ditch the disguises', he'd explain should any of them ask.

After Jack spoke, Ray chimed in. "There's always trying for a back door? Or maybe just going in as auctioneers?" He hummed at the idea before shaking his head. "That also sounds like we'd be stealing it in plain sight as well… Probably better to figure out where it is beforehand."

"I'm afraid that part will be an issue," the Navigator murmured, low enough just that those around him could hear. "We have no information about the outline of the inside, past this hall and the auction hall proper. Tomorrow at evening, there will be a banquet held here in the entry hall, for the honoured guests. I guess that would be one option of entry, or at least the first door. Zilla has a point. Let's go to the balcony, have a closer look on the door."

Meanwhile, Jack finished his round around the ziggurat. The building was surrounded by a gathering of smaller buildings, of haphazard origin and age. In some places, they hugged the terraced pyramid directly, in some kept distance and created a street between, or even small plazas. In one of these, Jack came onto another entrance into the building. This one was clearly lot less flashy and glamorous, but made it up with security. Heavy gate, guards with firearms and pikes standing at attention, and above it all loomed what could only be described as an animated rock giant with glowing eyes, a golem. Passage of a streetcart filled with vegetables, and its admission, after a thorough search by the human guards, through the gate, revealed it as a service entrance. On his walk back, Jack would notice two more things. First, the faint strings of smokes and steam coming from the top of the ziggurat betrayed presence of chimneys and ventilation shafts, blasted through the top levels of the pyramid. Second, that he was followed by two men in blue jackets.

The door seemed, somehow, even more reinforced and solid from up close. The robust locking mechanism had three keyholes, though assuming from the size of their openings, the key were closer to a battleaxe in size. "Not really built for humans, I think," the Navigator guessed. "I suppose the keyholders will not be hard to spot on the banquet. I think we could try to muscle them around, gather the keys and slip through the door before anyone notices, hidden by the noise of all the dancing and drinking and revelry on the floor. There will be a lot of people here, Jack, close or over a hundred guests, with accompanying staff and guards. And we will have to steal it during the banquet night. Fewer people inside, and guards will be tired and antsy because of having to look over the guests."

He walked over to the balcony's carved bannister, and placed his hand on small ornate plastic that depicted something that was a cross between dragon, human, squid and a hamster, as far as facial features went. "Or we could also consider leaving the initiative to someone else. We know the ONW has agents here, going for the same item. We could simply steal it from them after they nick it from here. As for information about the inner dispositions of this place, there is no known map. The Auction House makes sure such knowledge doesn't get out. Outside suppliers and day staff are never allowed into the inner tracts, where the items are stored and handled. The inner circle stewards and guards are the only ones who truly know the place, and they do not leave the ziggurat too often. I suppose if we could spot someone, we could apply violence and interrogate them, but that's not really my style. They wear black livery, with cedar tree embroidery on their backs."

wUsiFI0.png
x7​

Luro stared at the portal only glancing back to watch Sara wake up, offering her a bright grin as the other Luro's wished her good morning, even Cloaky though none of the Luro's intended on telling her that. Hearing from Pathvinder that the place ahead wasn't good almost all the Luro's seemed to grin simultaneously, that meant there had to be something fun ahead. That alone caused every Luro to move towards the portal save Maka who knelt near Sara waving a hand in front of her face to make sure she knew they were still there.
"I know that look! You drank too much Masu! So proud of you!" Maka exclaimed throwing his arms out.
He almost hugged Sara happy she had the look of a hangover victim when Lura grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him away, he seemed to whine as she did so reaching towards Sara only to get pulled back to the other Luro's. The female Luro's attention moved to Lai who stared at the portal, a hand resting on his chin as the Pathyinder's words echoed in his skull once again, his inquiries had been ignored so he was focused on figuring out what was happening on his own terms, and he wasn't having much luck with it.
"I have no idea how we got here," Lo said looking over at Patheinder at his question.
"None of us do," Banana added with a nod.
When a navigator was brought up the Luro's looked at one another Lura patting Maka on the head as he leaned back and forth humming one of Ray's songs to himself. He didn't seem to care much about the conversation anymore but Lura couldn't deny being bothered that they forgot how they got here again. After a moment though that care faded and she was humming with Maka.
"Oh right Kadi brought us down here," Luro said. "Yeah that happened."
"Are we sure?"
"Probably."
"Good enough for me," Banana said with a shrug.

When they entered the other side Lai immediately fell to his knees as his senses were invaded by the decay that filled the area, he grabbed at his throat almost like he was trying to rip out the very taste of death trying to invade his body. The other Luro's however seemed right at home and Lura even took in a deep sniff before letting out a content sigh. Her gaze moved to the bodies of varying shapes and sizes surrounding them and she looked over at Lai as he stood back up on wobbly legs. Lai reached up and removed his glasses causing Lo to bring a hand to his face.
"Here it comes."
"This place is so wonderful!" Lai exclaimed throwing his arms into the air.
His eyes normally focused seemed to stare off into the distance, taking on a small tint of red as a bit of drool fell down the side of his mouth a laugh filled with perhaps too much joy escaped from him as he knelt down near the body of a human, almost hugging himself.
"Ah the scent and sight of a freshly destroyed life, is there anything more delectable in this world! Do you not feel the warmth spreading through your body in the face of such demise, perhaps even despair! Were his last moments, beautiful and fleeting or cold and harsh, the very idea sends chills throughout my very person! This place is a haven! I can taste the very essence of the end on my tongue, I can hear the whispers of the departed screaming in my ears, the beautiful sound of flesh spilling onto the ground around me, the sight of a fresh kill once filled with so much delight! The texture of decay stinging my fingertips, my senses are being overwhelmed with so many wonderful sensations!"
Lai rang his fingers along his face, mouth agape staring into the endless parade of bodies, shivering every few seconds as happy but broken laughter came from him.
"...yep there he goes," Luro said sighing. "Lai! You're doing it again!"
Lai turned to look at the others, a look of pure bliss on his features before he blinked and realization hit him...hard. Lai properly moved his glasses back to his face his eyes returning to their natural color and wiping the drool from his mouth and chin with a small handkerchief he cleared his throat.
"...my apologies that was...unsightly. I lost control for a moment there," Lai said. "Yes caution should be exercised here I agree Captain."
The other Luro's shook their head getting into position at the Captain's orders, save Maka who was making organ angels on the ground.
"Maka we know this place is nice but we got stuff to do," Lo said. "We can mess with limbs later. That's why we have the hackshaw."
"Kay!" Maka said jumping to his feet. "Let's get going!"
He saluted the others ignoring the limbs that now decorated his body, offering a bright grin before joining the others.
"Hey speaking of dead bodies have we brought any on the ship?" Banana questioned.
"Um...I think the Captain said something bout that. So we don't do it," Maka said with a nod.
"Isn't there one under Miss Masuma's floorboards," Lai said bringing a hand to his chin.
"Is there...is that what we forgot to tell her," Luro said looking at Cloaky.
"Well I mean if we did bring one we put it there before she joined. I didn't smell anything last time we were near her room," Lo said.
"Yeah that would make sense but it's been months," Lura said. "I'm not sure if we did or not."
"We should probably check that," Luro said. "Masu might get mad cause we didn't tell her earlier."
"Yeah we normally always try to say something, it's only polite," Maka said. "We'll tell Alicia when we put one in her room."
"Guys no dead bodies on the ship, Captain's orders," Lura said moving her hands to her hips.
"Are we sure the Captain said that though," Luro said.
"Well she said no unnecessary killing, but I don't remember a rule about already dead bodies," Lo said.
"Yeah isn't there like a foot under Alicia's room. We forgot to tell her in that case."
"Yeah the lucky foot! Wait no we lost that."
"We did?"
"I think so."
"Eh we'll look for it later. Cloaky remind me to make sure there's dead body parts in the ship."
Cloaky's mouth moved and Luro threw his hidden hands up.
"What do you mean that's impossible, just tell me later."

v9gGHBl.png
Zilia stood with Kadi on the balcony looking down over the large building resting her hands on the banister, trying not to touch whatever that ornate decoration was. They had a few options to acquire the dirt and she was more keen on avoiding as much violence as possible, she disliked the idea of kicking someone in the face today and so far she had only seen Jack fight seriously. She honestly wasn't sure what their combined powers could do, the heavy hitters as far as he knew were in the dream world, so it would probably be a good idea to avoid fighting as much as possible. She agreed with Kadi on that front at least, even if they caught someone they would have to execute them afterwards less they say something about their inquiry though she had yet to hear Jack's opinion on the matter.

Since they were for the most part alone she wrote a note and held it towards Kadi making sure Jack could read as well since she had a lot to say about their current plans.
"Though it is tempting to steal it from the ONW, there's not a guarantee they would succeed. If they failed security might increase around here as well which even if we decided to try it again would make it all the harder. That and I would personally prefer to take the item, have them go through the effort only to find the items is already gone, harsh as that it. Locating the Keyholders seem the better option in my opinion...though with the size carrying them might be difficult...it seems the best option."

She had little patience for this ONW and she was concerned about not knowing the inner layout but aside from finding someone to retrieve information from they were a tad stuck when it came to that information. She admittedly missed Sara and Luro a bit, either one of them confronting someone with their size would probably get answers with minimal violence...actually Alicia touching her sword would be enough for her to start talking with the aura that came off her when she was angry.
She shook her head however pulling herself from such thoughts, they had plenty to work with here, there was no point in focusing on what they couldn't change. She wrote something else down and held it towards the two.
"I will admit I don't like not knowing what the inner area looks like...and...maybe and this is a very big maybe. If there was something I could squeeze into I could possible get into a regularly inaccessible place. I don't like admitting it but on the few occasions I've been captured I have been able to climb through small holes due to my size and escape. If things went downhill I could possible leave with the dirt through a small crevice should you guys want to leave through the front door. It's only an idea though I'm not sure if such a thing is around here."
After writing down her opinion on the matter Zilia put the two notes back into her book and put it away.

Reactions: SilentxChaos
mg5L8yj.png

The Cook stared at the main entrance while listening to the others talk, his foot tapping. Was that a blue jacketed elbow he spotted? It was hard to be sure. If, as Kadi said, the Auction House guard wore black with a cedar tree then the men who followed Jack from the service entrance may well be ONW agents. Though he wouldn't rule out the House guards quite yet, and a third unknown party was another consideration. There were too many factors, in his opinion. Jack huffed an annoyed sigh.

I wish she was here.
She was the planner. The master mind. An image of a dark-skinned woman floated before his mental eye; a woman with silky curls and rose-colored lips, and eyes that danced impishly. His eyes narrowed and lips pressed together. Shaking his head, he turned his back to the entrance way and focused instead on Zilia's notes.

Jack placed a hand to his chin, considering her thoughts. "I...have to agree with Zilia. Though, considering the circumstances, neither option is very appealing."

Frowning, Jack vaulted from the banister and began pacing a wide circle in front of the door. He looked at the floor, talking as he paced. "I don't think any of us here will deny we're lacking our heavy hitters, like Sara or Luro, when it comes to power. If we wanted to steal from the ONW, we'd have to watch them as much as here, in order to determine what their plans are. That would divide our group which isn't something I'd recommend. Not to mention they may have someone stronger than we are capable of fighting. A possibility, at least."

Jack glanced at Ray, who, with his fruit powers, may pose the biggest threat in their group. Although, Zilia certainly packed a punch. I wonder what Kadi is capable of? He looked over at the Navigator. Deciding to shelve that curiosity for later, Jack continued his speculations.

"This building does have a ventilation system, I think. I spotted smoke from the top. It could provide a possible enter or exit point. Something we could possibly scout tonight?" Jack stopped his pacing and walked closer to the group. He made sure his back was to the entrance, just in case. He lowered his voice though, again, no one was within earshot. "I should also alert you that two men in blue jackets followed me after my circuit around the Auction House. I don't know who they are, yet, but they've seen my face. We'll have to be careful."

AqDrdkd.png

eB44hrh.png

The swordswoman had thus far remained silent as they progressed through the increasing confusion that was the dreamworld, turning from her surroundings towards Runali when she looked to her for ideas on how to help Sara. Alicia inhaled a deep breath before striding over towards her, taking a knee next to her before pressing two of her fingers against the gladiators forehead. "I'm going to have to try something, although it's unlikely to be all that pleasant" she stated, motioning for the Luro's to give her some space. Alicia began to channel a burning energy from her soul into her arm, clenching it in her fist as light burned from between her fingers, her right eye burned brightly as the light and dark of her aura twisted and combined within itself.

Alicia would very quickly press the palm of her hand against Sara's armor, forcing the energy to disperse across her body as it was absorbed, an intense burning sensation feeling as though a fire had been lit inside her body, melting away the flesh from the inside. It'd last for only a couple seconds, but once the transition was complete her condition would rapidly improve, dents in her armor smoothing out as light almost burned away any and all impurities.

It was hard to tell who was in a worse shape, Sara or her armor. Small pieces fell with every jostle, landing on the ground and dissolving into nothingness. Luro could hear her mumbling something to herself in Tilean, repeating the same phrase over and over like a mantra. "

"Timeo... ne... mihi..."

Otherwise, she did not react to her rough treatment at the hands of her fellow crewmate, simply repeating that phrase again and again.

"Timeo... ne... mihi..."

But when Alicia channeled her fiery and terrible energy through Sara's body, her eyes flew open and she opened her mouth to let out a silent scream, her back arching with agony. After a few seconds of this, but what felt like a lifetime to her, she was still and quiet, laying there on the ground. A few heartbeats later, she opened her eyes, blinking against the light. She groaned, sitting up, her armor already restored, albeit still with a few deep cuts. Sara felt herself being helped up to her feet, leaning against her captain for support. "What happened?" She blinked in confusion, looking around. "We're… in a dream." She said slowly, more to herself.

Embers of light trailed from her arm before it gradually faded back to normality, the aggressive flare in her eye dying down as the Fein warrior exhaled a small sigh. The experience wasn't any better for her, albeit the pain of it wasn't the same. Either that or perhaps the swordwoman had gotten used to the burn. "We're unsure what happened, though we're still in the dreamworld" she replied, casting a look around before centering her attention back onto Sara. "I ignited your soul using my own, I won't bore you with the details but you could say it's somewhat of a boost, or how you say... kick up the ass" she continued. "It's not something I can do repeatedly without risking danger to myself, so I'm afraid this is a one time deal".

Sara rubbed her head with a metal-gloved hand, her eyes looking up at Alicia as she explained what had happened. "I… see." Sara said, pretending to understand. By now, she had recovered enough strength to be able to stand up on her own but she still looked somewhat dazed and confused.

What didn't help though, was the walk through the impossible forest. Even just a peek at the so-called reality around them, brought out stabbing pains in head, as if someone stuck a screwdriver in her brain and was wriggling it about. At this point, Sara closed her eyes and reached out, unintentionally latching onto Alicia's shoulder and deliberately not letting go.

"Lead the way."

Alicia nodded before turning away and making for the castle they'd soon be entering, stopping for a moment to turn and glance at Sara. "Oh by the way, this makes us even" she said with a small amused smirk before looking to Runali, giving a nod. "We're right behind you as always".

Despite everything, and with her eyes still closed, Sara gave Alicia a look. Or at least, a look in her general direction. "Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha." She said, flatly. Sara followed behind Alicia, her hand still on her shoulder. As they passed through the portal, and as that dropping sensation passed, Sara chanced a peek and slowly opened one of her eyes. What she saw made her wish she hadn't. "Charming place…" She said, quietly to herself.

JVJll27.png
2bxbjVH.png

fU0WAmn.png

The Pathfinder watched the group vanish though the ancient portal. After their departure, he pulled himself up and made an effort at dusting himself off, but the caked mud and blood had different opinion about leaving his clothes, and he gave up. "Vell, bon vojage, peeple. Nov, back to vork. Let's go fint the suplijes before the marov-vurms go thru di bread. Franceska beter made sure it was vell paked."

Instead of avoiding the body parts falling out the sky, each of the Luro's seemed to have their own, rather unsettling, appreciation of the stench and decay. Lai in particular. As much as she knew Luro, he always found a way to remind her that there was a lot she didn't know. It made a chill go down her spine. However it was brushed aside as a reason because of the decay and not Luro's- well Lai's, outburst of potential bloodlust.

The conversation behind her shifted to something about bodies hidden in Lady Luck and for a brief moment, the Captain paused to address that it wasn't something that needed to be on the ship but… Runali shook her head and figured that was for another time. Though, as the ship crossed her mind, she wondered how the other half of her crew was coping with whatever challenges they faced- and how CP was doing considering they left her on the ship. They weren't very good at animal handling quite yet, as that new addition came as a surprise.

Every once in awhile, Runali would glance over her shoulder, to the side she could see, to check and make sure the others, specifically Sara, was still in one piece. Alicia's reassurance made the captain nod in return- not that she had actually saw her nod in the first place.

Without much sense of time, the walk felt like it lasted forever, or maybe only a few seconds if one was impatient enough, as the Captain was. Seeing the blue haze up close, she paused for a moment. "Souls." A contemplative look crossed her face. She stood still, in thought, he shadowy form flickering every once in awhile. After a few moments, Runali spoke up. "We're in a place where those souls," she pointed toward the souls floating around the ziggurat, "Are losing their physical forms…. I don't know if that means it was willing. And we're still alive and my concern is, one, we stay here too long and we end up like them or two, those souls try to take what's ours." Runali didn't dare mention that both could be a problem as well. "We need to move fast and carefully."

Even the most accomplished and experienced philosophers would take very light, gentle and careful steps when trying to deduce what are the aims of a soul, as an entity separate from any corporeal body it decided, or was decided for it, to inhabit. In the Inbetween, the souls went to shed memories of their physical form. Was it voluntary process? Was the flesh being shed just a shadow of the real body, or was the process violent, the body simply not wanting to part with what animated it, what made it unique, what made it stood out from inanimate objects? Or was it in fact a mellow parting procedure, a farewell song, a final goodbye to an old friend before a long journey?

Some cadavers seemed to fall and simply dissipate without any undue fuss, releasing the blue soul ether upon disintegration. The gas tuft would then join the flow above, letting itself be pulled in spiral around the ziggurat, before ascending to… elsewhere.

Some, however, showed strange symptoms of suspended decomposition, as if the soul parting was resisted by the body, who seemed to disagree on the notion it was time to go. Perhaps these ones lives ended violently and too soon, as opposed to those who lived a life full and accepted their departure in peace, as a well earned rest.

The crew could possibly notice such unexpected stirring in the piles of rotting meat and organs around them. Soon enough, the half-fallen apart corpses made their way up from drowning in puss, panicked and confused by their surroundings. One moment before, they were something in the real life, and now, after another short moment filled with violence, they were here, told to desist? Insanity! Rage! Refusal!

The closest to the portat slowly stood up and started advancing towards the crew, their eyes (where appliable) filled with mad rage. Who was the crew? Why were they allowed to keep their bodies and not die? It must have felt so unfair and jealousy-inducing… they seemed like they wanted to rip apart the living for the crime of being alive! One body rose, then two, then a dozen more. Looking more closely, the plane crawled with things that refused to die just yet. Those close to the portal started to shamble towards the crew, while the more distant ones began to make their way to the ziggurat, like flies heading for an old corpse to feed on.

~~~===~~~​

Ray was a step behind the others, still able to gaze off the balcony, but not close enough to lean over it. "It's dangerous," He started, "but if you're confident you can get through those vents then we need all of the options we can get."

Arcadius nodded. "Aye, we can get us some rope and cutting tools. We could try to climb the pyramid, and find an open but unused vent. We do, however, risk there will be some sort of security grate along the way, so at least a good file will be necessary. This would also allow us to not be directly tied to the banquet itself, as far as our timetable goes, as you note, Zil. I like this plan. Now, as for you taking the claustrophobic way out, I suppose we'll see how actually large the ventilation is. Might be you'll be the only one who'll fit, and you will have to go as vanguard while we find alternative way in."

He frowned at the mention of the blue jackets. "Yeah. Yeah, let's not be reactive actors, we don't have the leeway and resources to take that route. Though the mention of the blue jackets worries me a bit. Are you absolutely sure they were blue and not deep red, and that they were truly following you? ONW's colours are green and crimson red, not blue. Might be coincidence, might be additional interest group. Ve…" He let his old accent slip in for a moment. This was not what he needed right now, another scavenger going for the corpse. "Hokay. Lets not get ahed ov ourselfs, right?" He heavily leaned on the bannister, shoulders sunk. "Kan't risk being too reaktiv. On the oter hand, just vane shot at this, jah? Let's get someting to klimb vit, and scout out the situation."

Getting the rope was easy in a port city. Soon enough, the four were standing on a house with manse that nearly touched one of the sides of the pyramid, each of them having a coil of rope on their shoulders. The gap between the roof and the terraced steps of the outer walls of the Auction house was at worst a half of a step, but the terraces themselves were at least man-high, and there were no visible stairway between the levels in sight.

Hour and a bitch of a climb later, they made their way to a ventilation opening. Cut into the sandstone were three round holes, from which a warm, kitchen smelling air was blowing out, mixed with hints of fire smoke. That was the positive side of things. The negative was, the holes were deviously small in diameter, too small for any grown man to fit in.

Arcadius and Ray looked at Zilla.

It took good thirty meters of the rope before the three men left outside felt the rope stop being taut. Zilla would find herself standing on a metal grate above a fireplace. The pipe was narrow, almost too narrow even for her, and now it seemed she might be stuck. She did have the metal file, and could try to break through the grate. However, to her left, the pipe branched out to the side, and the warm stink of the kitchen was coming from there. There would be more people there, but perhaps the pipe would not be grated over there. The fireplace under her seemed to be cold and unattended at the moment, but she would have to hide the cut grate to not be revealed.

Outside, things were also about to take interesting change of pace, as a bullet suddenly whizzed past Ray's ear. The bullet was not accompanied by any sort of gunshot noise, though. "Doprdelefix," Arcadius hissed as he threw himself onto the terrace, pulling Jack down as well. "Air rifles! Get down!" Peeking over the rim of the sandstone block, he saw two men in blue jackets several levels under them. He quickly pulled his head back after another salvo of air-propelled greeted him. He turned to Ray and Jack. "Those two blue jacketed bastards. Don't shoot. We can't risk alerting the actual guard we're here, just as those two can't."

Ray dropped to the ground with a grunt, rubbing his ear. He didn't get hit but it was much too close for comfort. "Not a very good start to our plans" He squinted as he glanced over the edge of the sandstone to find where the blue jackets were standing. "If I can get a good opening, my ice bullets won't alert the guards." As he spoke, he opened his hand, waiting for his ice gun to form just as it did so many times before. In quick succession, he sat up to point his gun towards one of the two blue jackets only to realize his gun wasn't in his hand.

Another bullet nearly graced his cheek and he dropped down again. "The hell?!" Ever since he had gotten his ice powers, he could summon it as easily as he could breathe. It was a simple thought, an open and close of his hand, even a snap of his fingers. And yet none of those things worked. He put a hand to his face and a surprised look crossed his face.

For the first time since he could remember, he wasn't cold. "Scratch that idea…" Ray looked down at his hands and frowned before glancing at ack and Kadi. "I don't think ice is an option right now."

Down below, something tiny hit Zilla's head. Upon examination, it proved to be a bullet. The bullet was soon followed by the rest of the rope piling up on Zilla. Something up there vent very, very awry.

• Love
Sara gazed up at the phenomena, utterly fascinated by the dance the blue lights weaved. 'Souls.' She thought to herself in wonder. 'This was actual proof of a soul. The scholars at Tilea would have a field day. Where did they go after this? Is this the afterlife? Amazing!'

She was so distracted by all this that she didn't notice the lurching threat approaching until she heard their cries of grief and misery. "Whoa, what the hell?!" She whirled about, her spear at the ready and her armor whole in the present danger. She looked around and the more they stood still, the stronger the likelihood that they'll be surrounded and overrun. Going alone would be suicide.

"Boss " She said, in a sing-song voice that betrayed her nerves. "What's the plan boss?"

wUsiFI0.png
x7​

Lura stared up at the souls bringing her hand to her chin at the sight, the other Luro's saved the original taking in their surroundings, save Cloaky who was looking towards their destination. It was such an interesting place she wished they had a bit more time to take things in, but they were already here for a skull there was no point bringing and extra one back with them. Luro stood next to Lura pointing at one of the souls who didn't seem intent on releasing their earthly bonds just yet. He started to speak but stopped noticing the bodies start to rise around them. The Luro's quickly fell back into line with the others at this making a protective circle almost as if by instinct.
"They're not dead...well that's unfortunate," Lai said. "Are we permitted to resolve that problem?"
"Masu's in a fighting stance so I think they're violent," Luro said. "I really really hope they're violent."
"They look mad...and they're blocking the way...I think we can start breaking things guys," Lo said cracking his knuckles.
"Well...I mean they're already dead...so...we're not really breaking the rule right?" Banana said looking at the Captain.
"Yay! Completely necessary violence. Let's kill them for friendship!" Maka exclaimed pointing straight ahead.
"Yeah slaughter em' for friendship!" Lo responded raising his fist in the air.
"...."
"Shut up Cloaky no one asked you," Lo said pointing at him. "Let's do it!"

The Luro's sprinted forward towards the creatures drawing their guns with bright smiles and loud laughter as they prepared to help clear the way for the others to reach their goal. Gunshots filled the air as the Luro's fired at anything that moved and wasn't wholly put together. Luro kicked one of the remnants into a tree before Cloaky stabbed it through it's skull wiping the sludge on Lo before moving to fight the others. It didn't take long for their clothes to become dirtied by the decay around them, though from their smiling faces it'd be easy to think they were rolling around in mud.
"This is the best!" Maka said narrowly moving out of the way of one of the creature.
Tripping the remnant he raised his gun and shot it through the skull staring down at it as Lo walked up to him.
"You think it's dead?" he asked.
"Not sure," Lo responded.
Maka shot it in the head again before looking over at Lo.
"How about now."
"Probably..."
Lo shot it in the head as well before giving a small nod.
"Okay now it's dead."
The two looked at each other than at the decaying body before they both shot it through the head simultaneously.

While the two tried to figure out how to kill something already dead Banana shot another one of the rage filled remnants his gaze moving over to Lura as she emptied her gun and started loading it once again. He chuckled a bit and did the same before giving her a small pat on the shoulder motioning towards a few approaching bodies. He pat his gun and raising it waited a moment before pulling the trigger, a bullet passing through two of the creatures skull, a grin forming on his yellow face as he motioned to them.
"Think you can beat that?"
Lura arched a brow at him before holding up a bullet which had a strange curve to it, loading it into her rifle she raised it and shot it piercing three of the bodies before resting her rifle on her shoulder smiling at him. Banana scoffed and ran towards the creatures jumping away from them as he made multiple ones come after him. Once he had the attention of four he leaped away and raising his gun shot them his bullet going through all four of them. With a smirk he shrugged his shoulders and gave a small bow.
"Cute," Lura said moving her gun to her back.
She made her way towards the bodies as well slamming her own body into them, hitting where she could in any opening she could find and hurling them at one another, slamming her knee into one only to kick another one into the small pile. Brushing off her outfit she pointed at the small cluster of bodies.
"Okay you punched them a few times that didn't-"
Lura took her gun off her back and once they were back on their feet she fired piercing five of them before patting Banana on his shoulder and walking past him.
"When you're ready to come at me like a man hun I'll be right here," Lura said raising a hand to him.
"Hey best two out of three I was holding back!" Banana said running after her.

With a small sigh Lai cleaned a bit of corpse off his glasses, these guys were really messy and the amount of them though fun was slowing them down. He had forgotten that they actually had orders, not following them would be a bad thing. Much as he pained to admit it Cloaky had a point in his comment. With a small sigh he whistled drawing the attention of all the Luro's save Maka who was busy sawing something on the ground.
"Gentleman...and lady as titillating as this is we need to make our way forward," Lai said. "Hopefully we did more harm than good for the Captain."
"Of course we did more good! I got a foot for the Captain!"
Masu held up a severed foot causing the Luro's to look over at him, Luro walked over to Maka and lightly chopped him on the head.
"Maka we already got a lucky foot, we don't need two of them. Two lucky feet don't make any sense," Luro said.
"Oh yeah..." Maka said scratching his head with the big toe.
Luro smacked the foot out of his hand before motioning towards their Captain.
"Besides the Captain's not a foot person, she has to be into arms. Alicia likes feet."
"No way the Cap has to be an eye person," Lo said. "Just think about it."
The Luro's moved their hands to their chin, save Cloaky who just put his hand over his hidden face.
"I can see that, so we should get the Captain an eye then...where are we going to get an eye?" Lura questioned.
"Next person we kill we just scoop it out," Lo said. "Easy."
"Gentleman and Lady!" Lai said clapping his hands together. "We're forgetting something important...we don't know what everyone else wants."
Banana firmly nodded at this crossing his arms over his chest, he motioned to the three ladies before holding up a finger.
"That's true we can't get the Captain something and not the others. That would be rude, funny but rude."
"Then let's find out what body parts they want, then we go get them." Luro said.
"Sounds good to me loves," Lura said with a shrug. "We should consider everyone in this."
"Yeah I mean Masu's right there, we should ask her" Maka said pointing at Sara.
"Nah let's do it later," Luro said. "Cloaky remind me to do that later."
Luro looked over at Cloaky as his mouth moved before throwing his hands up.
"What do you mean that's impossible, just remind me later. Come on let's go we got stuff to do."

v9gGHBl.png

Zilia immediately regretted even presenting it as an option the moment Kadi agreed to it. The fact they could get everything they needed for it easily was also a little depressing. She played with her bang deciding to just roll with it, she did comment on it and if it presented the least risky option then it was their best bet. She started to write something else down when she noticed Kadi's voice shift slightly, or at the very least an accent applied to it. Her eyes narrowed slightly at him a tad confused where this was all coming from. A part of her wanted to press him on the matter but she felt there were more important things to focus on. If it cleared up later that would be divine since she had a little trouble understanding him so an explanation seemed senseless at the moment.

The people in blue were a concern and if not for the fact she was currently climbing a pyramid with an extreme amount of effort it would be a pressing thought in her mind. She remembered reading a story about tomb raiders at one point, she had scoffed at putting so much effort into stealing something for money when you could just do honest work, but the plot itself was weird in that story. However she was currently doing the exact same thing for a jar of dirt that she would get no money for, and she had to chronicle all of this. It was a good thing she didn't intend on showing her work around, it would be the weirdest story out there with way too many subplots to follow.

When they reached the top Zilia leaned over resting her hands on her knees to catch her breath, she made a mental note to train her upper body strength more. She looked at the opening and catching the look from the two men she lowered her head, it was a silent sigh because one look made it clear who was going inside. Still it couldn't be all that bad, it saved punching guards.

"Why do I try to be optimistic…"
Zilia mentally berated herself as she forced herself down the tinier than she expected shaft. She started to question if she had ate a bit too much of Jack's food or maybe a growth spurt had occurred in her life as she forced herself downwards. When she managed to make it through she was both relieved and disappointed, happy not to be stuck but depressed she was small enough to get through something that tight. The fact it wasn't the worst thing she's had to squeeze through almost depressed her.
"Just…don't think about it. I need to look for an opening…"
She looked down below her noticing the grate and scratched her cheek, she could break through this but there was no guarantee this thing wouldn't be lit so it would probably be best to look for another option before taking that chance. Noticing an opening she climbed through it running her fingers along the small opening between here and there. If need be she could remove the grate and just leave it here if she decided to go back that way. She decided to check the kitchen area though before she could move she felt something hit her head. Picking up the item her eyebrows arched seeing it was a bullet, when the rope came shortly after she looked up her eye twitching slightly.
"…nothing ever goes to plan…I guess I'm stuck. The three of them should be okay I should check my options."
Zilia moved over to check the kitchen area though she had a feeling she would be going down the one with the grate.

mg5L8yj.png

Jack stared at Ray in momentary dumbfoundedness. Well...that's not good.

Glancing back to the vents, Jack saw the rope was gone, which meant Zilia was now trapped within the interior of the Auction House and they had no way to reach her. I suppose there is the servant's entrance--ah! Jack covered his head as shards of sandstone cascaded on their heads from the firing bullets. Right. One problem at a time. Crouching as low as possible, Jack peeked over their cover. A hail of bullets concentrated for his head and he immediately ducked down again. The bullets peppered the stone at the trio's backs, causing more dust to fall. If we had a gun, we could use the high ground to our advantage but I doubt my throwing knives can be effective at this range.

The shooters positioned themselves several levels down, at what Jack assumed to be their guns' maximum ranges. Close enough to jump down and survive, possibly, but not with the constant rate of fire. He did notice one reloading when he popped out of cover, the other continuing shooting, which eliminated the chance of a reprieve. And if they tried to move, the shooters would just follow. They were stuck.

Biting his lip, Jack desperately tried to think of a solution when he heard a cry. He frowned, looked up, and his mouth dropped. CP?

The eagle released another cry as she circled in the sky, an oddity in a city where no birds flew, at least from what Jack noticed. The blue jackets were too focused on their query to notice when the eagle swooped down for them. She screeched in triumph as she extended her talons and caught one across his face. He screamed in surprise and pain, frantically waving his arms to rid the bird. CP easily danced from his reach then struck again, cutting his arms. His companion stopped firing briefly, shocked at this weird turn of events.

Jack wasted no time in taking advantage of this distraction, though how the bird came to find them was beyond him. Reaching at his waist, the cook drew his butterfly swords and handed one each to his mates, followed with a small pack of throwing knives to Ray. He doubt they'd be useful, but it was better than nothing. "Follow me quick as you can," he said with a grin and a wink.

Then he vaulted over the terrace and dropped two levels down. Ray's ice powers may have left, but Jack retained his haki abilities. He focused them on his feet and his forearms; the latter absorbing impact as he dropped without a rope. The man not under attack recovered his bearings and aimed at CP. Jack leapt down another level-- only two between him and the attackers-- and threw a ray of knives. One sunk into his arm just as he fired at the eagle. He missed wide. CP fluttered back and took off, flying to safety.

JVJll27.png
2bxbjVH.png

fU0WAmn.png

"What's the plan, boss?"

Captains were the ones who came up with plans to face dangers, and Runali had come up with several plans. Plans to evade the navy, plans to fight other pirates, plans to steal- but not once did she ever have a plan to fight the undead. Most of her plans revolving around death was to avoid it at all costs. They weren't cats. They didn't have nine lives- At the max they had two.

So when Sara asked her what the plan was, Runali hesitated as the gears in her head began to turn.However, before she could actually come up with a plan, Luro and the many sides of Luro led the charge and began to clear a path straight towards the ziggurat.

Rubbing her cheek, Runali huffed. "Looks like the decision is made." She pointed forward. "We go through." She let Sara and Alicia take the lead before she began following them, since the path became a lot more clear. She ducked and dodged the limbs flying thanks to them, only to come to stop when she almost bumped into Lo as the group of Luro's began discussing gifts. "The sentiment is appreciated, but-" She paused, forgetting which Luro said what, "One of you is right and we need to keep it moving. You can pick out gifts later." There was a second pause while she ushered them on. "And you can debate on 'who was right' later too."

Stepping off the firm flagstones pedestal that housed the gateway arch, the crew would take first step into the murky, squishy and wet landscape that made up the rest of this realm. They would find themselves literally knee-deep in death, as that was roughly the depth it took to reach at least partially firm ground, or at least level where the remnants of living things were packed dense enough to bear their weight.

Each cut down not-dead thing released a mote or small cloud of blue gas, the soul finally being released from the clutches of a body that unrightfully claimed it as it own longer than it had right to. The soul would rise, join the shimmering congreagation of past existence above, and flow towards the ziggurat, as if the monumental building was the gateway to whatever laid beyond death.

The trek to the ziggurat was uncomfortably easy, not that the crew knew what to expect in the first place. And despite the crew cutting down the many undead souls that shambled towards them, it was clear to see that it was endless and they'd be wasting their time trying to fight them all off. So the captain did the next best thing and ushered them all to the entrance of the ziggurat.

As they got close enough to recognize details and features of the building, it became clear where did such structure came to, in a plane that had, seemingly, only body parts as its only abundant resource. Huge leg and arm bones of creatures made extinct in immorable past eaons served as pillars and beams, between which were stretched patches of poorly tanned skins, stitched together with sinew. On the ramparts of the ancient pyramid stood guards, seeing the intruders into this place from long distance. There were people clearly no longer suffering from the post-death trauma, as, while their bodies were withered as everything in this existence, their eyes were clear and filled with absolute resolution to protect the last thread of life they laid claim to. Armed with bows made from leg bones, with strings of gut and arrows carved from ribs and with arrowheads out of sharpened teeth, they were waiting for the crew to reach the front gate of the place.

As they approached closer, perhaps a dreadful surmise would rise in their minds, in Alicia's more strongly than others. The troop that stood closest to the front gate seemed familiar, such as half rotten, animated corpse, dressed in remains of other cadavers could be. Those with sharper eyesight could notice the calm in their body posture, and more worryingly, recognizance in the guard's eyes. These were no half-crazed confused zombies, no. These retained their humanity and soul.

As the crew stood under the gate and looked up, a sergeant climbed ontop of the gate's crenelation, and looked at Alicia, not the Captain.

"Do you recognize us, Tashigi? Look around, and look at the cost of storming Fort Nevis," sargeant Haido of the Yula Fei Marines shouted to Alicia. His arms rose as he pointed to the un-men closest to him. "Look at the cost of your highborn games."

The idea of being stopped by the undead was easy to comprehend. It was something the captain didn't have to question. However, when Alicia was called by name, it sent a cold chill down her spine for some unknown reason to her. Her guard was up, ready to spring into action should this...person- spoke. However, she decided not to make a move and let Alicia speak, in hopes that whatever conversation they'd have would make passage into the temple a lot easier for them.

~~~===~~~​

Ray couldn't stay too indulged in himself as much as he wanted to. He didn't have time to partake in the questions he had about his powers not working. As much as he didn't want to, he pushed his curiosity to the side and focused on the issue at hand. "I started out without my powers. I can fight without them."

The loud caws made Ray look up to see none other than CP flying into action. "Didn't we leave that bird on the ship?" Not that it mattered, because the distraction gave them ample time to get moving. "Like one of those guardian angels." He mumbled as he hopped to his feet to follow Jack and Kadi. While he appreciated Jack's offer, he denied the butterfly swords but did take a few of the throwing knives. Ray's rapier was still on his hip, despite him opting to use his ice more often than not, but he was sure that his skill with it hadn't diminished.

It wasn't a good idea to leave Zilia, but seeing as they lost their only connection to her, they both would have to keep moving forward.

"I guess the bird got bored of catching bats and went to look for something more squirmy to hunt!" the navigator assessed the situation as an shot-off limestone fragment missed his ear by a width of a hair.

The bluejacket attacked by the eagle was left with eyes full of blood and with wide gash across his left arm. The other bluejacket turned around and tried to land a quick shot on the eagle before the crew could close in. The bullet missed and vanished somewhere in the cloudy gloom above the city. Moment later, he'd find his arm disabled by a thrown knife that sunk deep, the tip of the blade poking bloody from the other side of the blue jacket's sleeve.

The man attacked by CP noticed his comrade was now attacked as well and that whatever was the man that attacked them capable of, they were totally outmatched by him. They were, clearly, not facing some local gang trying their foolish luck at the Auction House, but something more unique and special. He vaulted over the edge of the terrace and heavily landed on the one below. A disgusting crunch in his right leg made it clear his ankle did not like that at all. With clenched teeth, he swallowed a pained cry and instead fished out a strange object from inner pocket of the jacket.

The object was precisely cut yellow tinted crystal, mounted inside a cage with spring loaded hammer-like apparatus on the bottom. "Damn it all," he muttered through his sweated mustache, and undid the safety on the spring. The hammer snapped like jaws of a bulldog on the crystal and shattered it, producing a strangely clear and sharp note.

"Trouble, ma'am," the radio operator at the hideout reported. "Patrol group at the Kingpin, emergency signal Y," he said to the tall woman standing next to him. She pushed a strand of metallic, wire-like cobalt blue hair from her eyes and showed stern face, with complexion that looked like an expertly crafted copper mask. "Move in," she answered in cold, uncaring voice.

"We have something, sir," the intelligence officer said, turning to the sharply dressed man bent over a table covered in papers and maps. "What is it?" the commander asked in a tired voice. "A beacon signal, sir. Not one of ours, sir, but it seems to be coming from the Auction House." The officer turned to face the operator. He adjusted his dark spectacles and neated his cap. "Not one of ours, Wimbley?" he asked. "Yes, sir," Wimbley answered. The commander walked to a window and looked at the glowing battlecruiser docked in the harbor below. "Very well, our hand was forced, now we need to grab the knife at our throat and stab it back where it came from. Call the units and tell them they are free to engage as they see fit."

The bluejacket now stabbed into his arm by Ray threw away the air rifle, and, noticing the sharp tune, realized all bets were now off. He reached under his coat with his good arm and pulled out a five-cylindered pepperbox pistol. "Die Government scum!" he shrieker, aimed at Ray and started to frantically pull the pistols trigger.

Just before his first shot, the whole pyramid shook and threw off his aim. Moments later came the shockwave, nearly deafening them as a fireball rose from the other side of the pyramid, where the main entrance hall was located, and knocked all of them to the ground.

And as for Zilla, now lost somewhere inside the ventilation ducts of the Auction House itself? The duct at the kitchen was covered only by a fine, thin wire mesh, easily removed. The kitchen itself had a network of beams running under the ceiling, creating an open crawl space, if one would dare to move above boiling pots and meats roasted on hot coals. The kitchen staff seemed busy enough with their own work to look for possible intruders.

The kitchen offered several possible exits. A large, arched doorway with steps leading somewhere down was a possibility, but the stewards were constantly moving down with dishes full of food, and returning with empty ones. Sneaking through here would be at best difficult, unless she'd appropriate a sufficient disguise. The cooks all wore white overalls, with cedar tree embroidery on the back. There was also a small side entrance with closed door, possibly leading into cooks' quarters, or simply deeper into the stewards tracts that quite possibly led through the whole building. Or possibly, she could simply try to hide in here somewhere, maybe behind sacks of flour and potatoes, but it was unlikely the room was ever empty.

Should she wait long enough, the building would momentarily shake violently, knocking dust off the ceiling. The cooks would look around in confusion, and the stewards on the stairs would find themselves losing their footing and tumbling with the heavy food plates.

eB44hrh.png

The swordwoman would occasionally bat away the falling corpse with a speedy blast of air and a flick of her blade as they traveled through the realm of dead flesh, cutting the larger corpses in half if they looked like they were falling to closely. She hated this place and wanted nothing more than to be free from the visual horror that laid before them. Her soul burned brightly to ward against the negativity and death that existed here, her light and dark auras circulating in equal part awaiting to be called forth into battle. Albeit she saw nothing yet that required her to fight, or at least that wasn't until they ventured close enough that her keen perceptive gaze could pick out the figures watching them in the distance.

Alicia didn't draw her sword nor did she rest her hand upon the hilt, sure enough they were holding weaponry crafted from the hellscape itself but if they intended to fight them than she suspected an attack would have come by now. Or some kind of rallying of forces towards the gate to fight them off. The silver haired swordswoman began to pick out more details, her brow furrowing before her eyes widened when she realized why she recognized them, her heart crunching and her aura wavering as she felt sorrow fill her for a moment, right before Haido shouted towards her. She didn't respond right away, letting her eyes wonder across the faces of the men she'd fought beside in the taking of Fort Nevis.

"Haido" Alicia was one of the few commanding individuals to ever lead the Yula Fei forces that made additional effort to know every one of her subordinates by name. Satia had adopted the same idea since becoming a rear Admiral in the fleet. "You would lecture me, standing here in this empty realm and refer to the battle that lead to your end as a 'Highborn game'... " Alicia's aura twisted and shifted as her brow furrowed and her irritation became apparent in her tone. "You dishonor yourself, your comrades, me and our home... how dare you stand there and undermine the importance of the lives AND the events which took place that day!" Alicia stepped forwards, casting an angry glare at the fallen warriors.

"Is that what you all believe! that you threw your lives away at my request?!" as her voice rose the dark of her aura began to consume the light a little as it weaved and folded around her form. The swordwoman didn't await and answer, "Your families... your wives, husbands, sons and daughters are back in our homeland right now, enjoying the gift of life because of the sacrifices made by them" she turned and pointed towards Runali and Luro, of course Sara hadn't been present at the time of the second invasion. "Because of them there is a tomorrow for our people... and on the day we secured the freedom of our nation from the terrorism of Odyn we owed them a dept!" she looked back to Haido.

"In your sacrifice you allowed us to repay the dept we owed, so don't any of you dare stand before me and lecture me and undermine the importance of what we achieved through your brave sacrifice. To do so brings only shame to yourselves as warriors, and to your families who owe their lives to the Stardusk" She fixed Haido a strong glare of disapproval, deciding to leave aside the sacrifices her family had made in the history of their people in order to protect them from those who would abuse their lands. "Relent your anger, welcome me as your fellow warrior... not as the instrument of your undoing" she'd given her word in response, awaiting their reply.

AqDrdkd.png

Sara thought the atmosphere couldn't get worse. She thought wrong. If there ever was a hell, Sara wondered grimly as she cut down those that dared get close, this was it. They were literally in hell while they were still alive. What were they even doing here, was she made just to suffer? All curious thoughts have long been banished from her mind as she only desired to finish their job, whatever it was, and get out of here. If that was even possible.

Once they had arrived, Sara stood with her spear in hand, watching the proceedings quietly. The soldier knew Alicia, fought with her, and now he thinks he has the right to complain about his death. He was a soldier, dying is what they do. If he wasn't ready to die in battle, that was no one's fault but his own for joining the military. The best thing that a soldier could have hoped for, she reasoned, was that their death was not pointless, that their sacrifice had some meaning. Judging by what Alicia had to say, it looked like it did.

wUsiFI0.png
x 7​
The Luro's raised their heads as another creature fell to the ground their eyes moving to the floating souls above them. Their eyes widened at the floating pretties making their way towards the ziggurat, they wanted to get into who was right from their earlier conversation but the Captain informed them that they could do it later, and as she was the Captain the Luro's decided to put the matter aside for later. Though they did continue discussing gifts as they approached their destination. Lai wanted to keep killing but Lura pulled him away informing him that they were endless and they could kill a bunch of things later they had to follow the Captain first and foremost. When they actually approached the large building Maka's eyes widened and almost shined as his moved to different parts of the building, and that was in the literal and figurative sense.
"This place is so pretty!" Maka said throwing his hands in the air. "Look at that, oooh and that! That over there is pretty!"
Luro grinned a bit at the sight and gave a small nod as the other's walked up to them, the place was really nice, he couldn't wait to see the outside, but it seemed something was there to stop that from happening.

The Luro's collective gaze moved to Alicia realizing the guards wanted to have words with her, when Alicia stepped forward and responded Lo made a fist, it trembling a little as he lowered his hand and closed his eyes a small smile on his face.
"She is the definition of manhood fellas," Lo said.
"Her manliness is a true sight to behold," Lai said adjusting his glasses. "Exquisite."
"I think her muscles bulged a bit during all of that," Banana said sipping from his tea cup.
The Luro's gave firm nods proud of their comrades words and happy that someone actually enjoyed them killing others, most people were generally offended by that so it was nice when it was appreciated. While they continued to speak a voice came from the small crowd.
"Why are they so bound to their mortal coils?"
The Luro's turned to the voice to see Maka, a hand under his chin and his head tilted slightly. Confusion written clearly on his face as his brows furrowed and he seemed bothered by what the men had said.
"They carry weapons do they not, why complain about death. Anyone taught to use a weapon be it blunt or sharp understand the consequences and the weight of that weapon. You are threat to others merely by having it, if you've drawn it than it's only natural you've accepted that your own death is a real possibility...to do any less is silly, as such if it came then why be so bothered...even the most basic trained fighters know what it means to carry a weapon on your person."
"...perhaps they weren't trained in knowin' that," Lo said.
"Alicia knows that though and...well it's hard to tell but some look older than her...that guy with his skin falling off certainly does," Lura said pointing at one of the guards.
"I believe they think they were forced into the position by a higher power?" Lai said looking at Maka.
"It still doesn't make sense then, if you were handed a weapon and chose to fight for someone else's ideologies then you shouldn't be mad at that person you still gripped the weapon," Maka said tapping his cheek. "You chose to die for someone else that's on you, take responsibility for yourself. If they were so bothered by fighting for someone else than they could have said no, even if they died it would have been on their own merit and not others, which you can still take pride in."
"What if they killed their families too though?" Banana asked. "That's a thing."
"If they cared that much about those still alive than it wouldn't be a cost," Maka said. "You died for someone else, that's better than getting stabbed in the alley over bread. I doubt it's that."
The Luro's looked at each other as Maka knocked on his head trying to understand things from the concept of these fallen warriors, after a moment Lo spoke up slamming a hand on his fist.
"What about Honor? Manicia mentioned that."
"Manicia?" Banana questioned.
"It's my nickname for Alicia."
"Nice."
Maka however shook his head at that giving a small shrug of his shoulders.
"That doesn't make sense either Honor can just be ideologies wrapped up respectably, if you live off good ones you're honorable, if you live off bad ones your dishonorable. That's why it's so complicated, it's a difference in the perception of Honor that causes fights anyway. I don't think that's what it is..."
The Luro's looked at each other before Maka sighed and scratched his head.
"I think it's just cowardice," he said shoving his hands in his pockets. "Death is a constant, whether it comes sooner or later can rarely be guided by our own hands. If you draw your weapon you should be prepared to die and prepared to live. If you carry a weapon you should be prepared for what that comes with that whether you take it willing or it's given by force. Even if it was Honor that's based off one's actions anyway, the fact they have living relatives means they'll always have someone who thinks of them fondly, who respects their ends, that by all means is a form Honor. If they are bothered by the fact they died and their loved ones lived on that's just being selfish, the fact they get to continue is a blessing, and if you had a part in that, your death has meaning, not many can say that. To stand there however and speak so plainly of their loss is just cowardice. The end came, and you didn't want it so now all you can do is point a finger at someone else instead of taking responsibility yourself. What else is it?"

Luro brought a hand to his face as Maka knelt down and started poking at a piece of flesh having lost interest in who he considered boring guards. Luro sighed and lightly chopped Maka on the head causing him to stand up.
"Maka we've talked about this, no sharing thoughts like that," Luro said. "You know how the others get."
The other Luro's save Cloaky were holding their heads, clearly hit by headaches from thinking too much. Realizing that Maka let out a light laugh and waved his hand at Luro before a bright grin.
"Sorry! Once I start I kinda can't turn it off," Maka said. "I think what Manicia said is nice though."

v9gGHBl.png

Zilia crawled through one of the lower beams stopping to wipe a bit of sweat from her brow as she continued, in hindsight crawling over the hot things defeated the purpose of not just going down through the broiler but she had already committed to this route so now she was stuck. She wasn't sure what was going on up above but she was positive what fell on her head was a bullet, she didn't hear gunshots but if the guys dropped the rope than she was in a bad place. Getting found alone would put her in a very bad position, and it was one she needed to avoid at all costs. For the time being leaving this place as fast as possible was the best option.

She wasn't sure which was the right way out and she couldn't just walk through the place as she was anyway. She noticed a bunch of people coming in and out of the large exit, her eyes moving to their uniforms for a moment. If she was staff she probably wouldn't have too much trouble moving where she needed to but that wasn't the case at the moment. She reached up and fiddled with her bang for a moment shutting her eyes considering a very risky option. Unlike security she was pretty sure few would pay attention to the face of a worker, if she could find an outfit that would probably do some good.

Very carefully slipping out of her hiding place she made her way towards the side entrance slowly opening the door and slipping inside closing it softly behind her. She turned around only to flinch seeing people, but noticing they were asleep her shoulders relaxed and looked around realizing she was in what looked like the sleeping quarters for the employees. Lowering her body she started to turn around and leave but remembering what was behind her she looked back at the sleeping servants and lowered her head before walking further into the quarters mentally apologizing to what she was about to do.

After a quick moment Zilia adjusted the sleeves on the white overalls she had procured, she felt terrible stealing a sleeping person's things, she hoped they didn't have to pay for another out of their own pocket as she straightened up. Thankfully she was able to wear it over her own clothes so it would be simple to slip out of when need be. Just as she was about to head out everything shook around her, Zilia catching herself from falling as the whole place shook. She noticed a few people stirring from their sleep and quickly ducked into a passage making her way out of the area, with no other choice since going back wasn't an option she decided to continue forward through the tracts.