3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern, Horror, Magical... pretty flexible.
OOC/Signup Thread is here.

Interest Check is here

Several short scenarios and a general 'sandbox' to interact IC will be run on this thread, as we tread water at the time of this writing waiting for the updated Groups system.

After that point, other than the casual threads, all IC scenarios/missions will be invite only - invite contingent on being part of the group.

Last edited:
In any case, she decided to pop the door loose to check out what was inside. If she was lucky, there might be something of use in there, somewhere.
A little shaking rattled the door free of the lock, with little trace of tampering, since the door was pretty worn and weathered anyway. Inside was the widerange radio transceiver used in case of emergencies, various standard emergency replies, and a cardboard box in one corner.

When peeked into there were a bunch of sunglasses, a few sets of keys and a handful of cell phones. Apparently this sufficed for being a lost and found for the beach. One thing would seem unusual to Argent though. One of the cell phones was in a waterproof case, face down with a sticker on the back.

PROPERTY OF GOTHAM CITY
PUBLIC WORKS
GCPW-015

Flipping the phone over revealed the lock screen wallpaper was an obvious selfie taken by a lifeguard at this very tower.

nintchdbpict000246303992.jpg

The Lifeguard in the picture fit the profile of nearly every one of the missing girls. Twenty something, blonde, blue eyes.

Unfortunately the phone was both locked, and at about 12% battery, so little would be gained from it other than that in this situation.

A quick shuffle through the rest of the phones revealed none of the rest of them had any charge, and at least two of them had been submerged.

The duty log hanging on the wall was so out of date that the paper was yellowed and the last sign in date was in 2003, which was no help. Obviously that wouldn't give any current information. They must have gone digital.

Speaking of which, there was a docking station for a laptop, but none in sight.
@york

At the door of Ugly Joe's, a woman stepped out, paused, and blew out a cloud of lemon-scented water vapor "Sucks that we can't even vape inside anymore."

@Ringmaster

The bouncers looked like made men, very uncomfortable in their Ugly Joe's bright yellow polo shirts, and were almost obviously packing heat. They looked to be of Scottish descent, a distinction Grady would make easily that most others wouldn't. Just call a Scottsman Irish or vice versa sometime and you'll see! This was just the type that Thorne recruited often, and confirmed in Grady's mind that they were clearly in a Thorne-run establishment.

The Question made his way to the back of the bar, making for the restroom fairly obviously.

As it turned out the bartender's name was Rosie, and she spoke with a thick New Englander accent, but decipherable enough.

"Aye, I seen the kid. Most folks they come here to watch a game, eat and drink. He comes to order fish and chips, stare at his iPad and track sand into my place, apparently. Always wet too, like he been wading in the ocean afore he walks in. He come in just two hours ago. You just missed him. Always orders three orders of the fish and chips to go, and one for here. Downs one and takes three with him. Mebby that's why he's fat, if he's eating four orders of that a day. Hah! Friend o yours?"

Meanwhile, the singer finished her song and a half dozen or so patrons raised their glasses and started chanting at her. "Liz-ZY! Liz-ZY! Liz-ZY!"

To which she smiled and spoke over the karaoke mic, which was heard by everyone in the bar and even by Nosferatu outside. "So you want to hear more Lizzy Berg?" she asked, and it got a rousing cheer. After a couple of I can't hear you! 's She finally acquiesced and dropped into another Blondie song.

@Gands

Last edited:
Thank you Ma'am, I appreciate your time.

I palm her the twenty and head out, stopping by the door just for a moment to listen to the music and watch for Q.

At the door of Ugly Joe's, a woman stepped out, paused, and blew out a cloud of lemon-scented water vapor "Sucks that we can't even vape inside anymore."

@Ringmaster
Whatever that means.

I grunted in reply and peered at her before speaking.

"Long-time native?"

I can't think of any other reason she'd up and talk to a mask, even in small conversation. But eh, Gotham.

You see one mask, you've seen em all.

@Michale CS

Thank you Ma'am, I appreciate your time.

I palm her the twenty and head out, stopping by the door just for a moment to listen to the music and watch for Q.
Rosie gave him a big smile before she rushed over to fill another drink order. Question, by the way, was talking to a woman in the corner for the moment. Tall, thin, dressed mainly in leather with an athlete's look to her. He nodded at her, then looked very carefully at the singer on his way out. Not that you could tell, his face was a blank, literally. Once he rejoined Grady, he turned once more inside then back out again. "Something to tell you. In private."

I grunted in reply and peered at her before speaking.

"Long-time native?"

I can't think of any other reason she'd up and talk to a mask, even in small conversation. But eh, Gotham.

You see one mask, you've seen em all.
"Mhm. I've been around. Rode with some tough customers, survived them all. Nygma, Napier... Dent. They found my presence... soothing. Do you?" And oddly, he did. Something about this woman simply demanded that he relax. And once Question and Grady got outside, they felt it too.

"Meloncholy." Question stated. "You working here?"

8796820-beautiful-lady-in-yellow-dress.jpg

"What can I say? I'm good for business. Of course I make the bouncers very bored men. What are you going to do, accuse me of starting trouble?" Meloncholy laughed, and it was... an angel's choir. A wave of calm blossomed out almost visibly from the woman.

"For a lady no one can pick a fight around, a lot of trouble follows you." Question quipped back.

"Blame it on Gotham. I'm just an honest girl earning an honest living. Well, smoke break over. I feel a disturbance in the Force..." The woman did a cutesy wave at all of them and blew a kiss in Nosferatu's direction of all people, before heading in as the sounds of an argument over a game of darts was starting, and quickly faded to apologies as she neared.
After Meloncholy was inside, Question showed both Nosferatu and Grady his phone screen. It showed that this Lizzy Berg was an 89% facial recognition match for Betty Boyg. "It's her. Too close a match, but she's acting entirely different from her profile. Hypnotism?"

@Gands @Ringmaster

The Lad's been here several times. Eats one meal here and has three to go. He tracks sand in and is usually wet.

I figure they are near here and close to the ocean.. real close. What is it the thing says ? It's clobberin time.

We'll find these girls and get someone to snap them out of it, maybe wring it outta that thin guy.

After Meloncholy was inside, Question showed both Nosferatu and Grady his phone screen. It showed that this Lizzy Berg was an 89% facial recognition match for Betty Boyg. "It's her. Too close a match, but she's acting entirely different from her profile. Hypnotism?"
"If it is? I might have a way to break it."

Nosferatu said casually before adding.

"You just need a good, sharp shock, right?"

@Gands @Michale CS

Reactions: Gands
The Lad's been here several times. Eats one meal here and has three to go. He tracks sand in and is usually wet.

I figure they are near here and close to the ocean.. real close. What is it the thing says ? It's clobberin time.

We'll find these girls and get someone to snap them out of it, maybe wring it outta that thin guy.
"If it is? I might have a way to break it."

Nosferatu said casually before adding.

"You just need a good, sharp shock, right?"
Question sighs and shakes his head. "I doubt Grady here would appreciate it if you struck an innocent lady, even if to break some voodoo. Besides, we only needed to talk at people to break this before, right? Save your pointy sticks and sharp rocks for Pinky and the Brain, once we find them. Since you said wet, the abandoned paddleboat place is closer to the ocean, though if memory serves there was a tunnel of love ride at that old amusement park. Wouldn't explain the sand though."

But the question of where to go was muddied when, after they departed Ugly Joe's, they spotted a black sedan that matched April's description parked in front of the amusement park.

"Where to first, or do we split up again?"

@Gands @Ringmaster

• Love
Question sighs and shakes his head. "I doubt Grady here would appreciate it if you struck an innocent lady, even if to break some voodoo. Besides, we only needed to talk at people to break this before, right? Save your pointy sticks and sharp rocks for Pinky and the Brain, once we find them. Since you said wet, the abandoned paddleboat place is closer to the ocean, though if memory serves there was a tunnel of love ride at that old amusement park. Wouldn't explain the sand though."

But the question of where to go was muddied when, after they departed Ugly Joe's, they spotted a black sedan that matched April's description parked in front of the amusement park.

"Where to first, or do we split up again?"

@Gands @Ringmaster
He was going to show her the picture he had of her and talk at length about the death of her friend from what he learned, but eh.

Way things were going, he'd turn bat in the crowded room and that'd be bad.

He then got out of the truck and marched over towards the amusement park.

@Gands @Michale CS

Q, I'm going to disable that car. I don't want them getting away in it. I'll catch up as quick as I can. Remember, don't trust your phones, the kid can hack them. I'm turning mine off.

I move to the car and quickly let all of the air out of two tires. I then send a quick text to Big Patrick.

Hey there, quick update. I found their car near a place of Thorn's called Ugly Joes, metro side. I think the bad guys are here, tall thin guy, portly teenager who is the hacker. I have some people with me and hopefully we'll find her tonight I think or at least have a strong trail. I'm turning off the phone, the kid can get into them.
If I go down in this. Thanks for everything.

Grady.

I then rush to catch up with the others heading into the amusement park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck deflating the tires on an old GCPD Police Cruiser. Genuine WayneTech Run Flat tires. Solid rubber. Of course someone as strong as Grady could probably loosen lug nuts by hand...

By this time Sentinel would have been done rifling through the inside of the Lifeguard tower, and if she was quick, close in and get a better line of sight into the amusement park itself, because shortly Question, Grady, and Nosferatu were going to be passing out of the area she could cover with any rifle she had.

Once the trio had gotten to the gates of the Amusement Park itself, all of the lights in the place went on and the gates swung wide open.

Carnival music, playing just a bit slower than full speed, started playing and a voice came over the park's PA:

"Welcome to your Live Action game of Villains and Vigilantes. Guess which one I am? Oh, I see why Joker set his toys up here. This is going to be so much fun seeing you die. And for what? A few blonde bimbos... oh and that ginger but who likes them anyway? Am I right?"
The voice sounded young. The hacker, surely.

At this point, the rifles on one of the carny booths swiveled around the wrong way and opened fire in the general direction of the three heroes.

maxresdefault.jpg

The gunfire would probably get Sentinel to pick up the pace and join the fun. And no, they weren't BB Guns, thanks to an old Joker Upgrade...

@Gands @york @Ringmaster

Last edited:
"Welcome to your Live Action game of Villains and Vigilantes. Guess which one I am? Oh, I see why Joker set his toys up here. This is going to be so much fun seeing you die. And for what? I few blonde bimbos... oh and that ginger but who likes them anyway? Am I right?"
The voice sounded young. The hacker, surely.
Nosferatu was already running.
At this point, the rifles on one of the carny booths swiveled around the wrong way and opened fire in the general direction of the three heroes.
Which proved to be the right choice as he split up from the group.

Now then....Sharper senses....Keen and honed. Bring me, bring me, bring me home.

He repeated the mantra quietly and drew upon his thirst that had bugged him all night. Now.

Where could that hacker be?

And off he ran, following any scent trails that indicated life.

@Gands @Michale CS @york

Failing the air out of the tires, I become furious, smashing the window with my cane, breaking the steering wheel from the column and throwing it as far as I can, which should be a considerable distance.

Q, I'm going for the Electricity, toys don't work without it. And... Good luck boys.

I run off, looking for electrical panels, cane in my hand like a proper shillelagh, the head in the shape of a raven.
In the darkness I swear I see a raven, a big damned raven... hers, mother has come to watch. I'm no longer nervous, not worried a bit. I pull down the patented slim battle goggles that Big Patrick got me for Christmas. Stark's finest, so the lot of us can kill each other in the dark. I can see clearly in the gloom, the lights don't seem to be too much for this marvel of technology.

@Michale CS @Ringmaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Michale CS
A little shaking rattled the door free of the lock, with little trace of tampering, since the door was pretty worn and weathered anyway. Inside was the widerange radio transceiver used in case of emergencies, various standard emergency replies, and a cardboard box in one corner.

When peeked into there were a bunch of sunglasses, a few sets of keys and a handful of cell phones. Apparently this sufficed for being a lost and found for the beach. One thing would seem unusual to Argent though. One of the cell phones was in a waterproof case, face down with a sticker on the back.

PROPERTY OF GOTHAM CITY
PUBLIC WORKS
GCPW-015

Flipping the phone over revealed the lock screen wallpaper was an obvious selfie taken by a lifeguard at this very tower.

nintchdbpict000246303992.jpg

The Lifeguard in the picture fit the profile of nearly every one of the missing girls. Twenty something, blonde, blue eyes.

Unfortunately the phone was both locked, and at about 12% battery, so little would be gained from it other than that in this situation.

A quick shuffle through the rest of the phones revealed none of the rest of them had any charge, and at least two of them had been submerged.

The duty log hanging on the wall was so out of date that the paper was yellowed and the last sign in date was in 2003, which was no help. Obviously that wouldn't give any current information. They must have gone digital.

Speaking of which, there was a docking station for a laptop, but none in sight.
@york
Argent Sentinel (Lilly Briant)
@Michale CS

Hmm... Looks like the lifeguards were fishing quite alot of phones out of the Gotham waters recently... Since the only one that had some power in it was that phone with a... Somewhat familiar looking background image. Oddly enough the lifeguard most certainly fit the descriptions she had come across of most of the other missing girls she has heard of, powering the phone off temporarily to save batteries, she decided to take the phone with her as she looked one last time around the room... Looks like there wasn't a laptop around, she'd have to dig around later if things got more desperate, but for now, she carefullly shut the shack door so it would look just slightly ajar at the worst when someone came around the next day.

This way, it was much less likely for someone to think of this as a break and enter case, as far as she was concerned.​

Looks like there wasn't a laptop around, she'd have to dig around later if things got more desperate, but for now, she carefullly shut the shack door so it would look just slightly ajar at the worst when someone came around the next day.

This way, it was much less likely for someone to think of this as a break and enter case, as far as she was concerned.
Argent was greeted by the sound of carnival music and gunfire in the distance, but before she could do much to react to that, she heard a strange voice from just below the tower.

iZombie-trailer2.jpg

"Look who's poking around where they shouldn't be! Won't matter. You'll be dead soon." The girl, who was almost obviously the same one whose picture was on the phone Lilly took, save the hair, skin and eye color change, leaped up and landed right next to Sentinel.

"Too bad. I would have loved to have seen how they would have changed you. Raahh!" The girl threw a wild haymaker at Argent, missing but catching the edge of the building, smashing a corner easily, it seemed.

What the hell was going on here?
@york

Meanwhile, at the amusement park...

I was happy that Bats gave me this reinforced trenchcoat, as I dive for cover from the automated guns. "That all you got, kid? Pathetic." There you go, Question, be the bait and get the kid's attention, maybe make him mad enough to make a mistake.

Now then....Sharper senses....Keen and honed. Bring me, bring me, bring me home.

He repeated the mantra quietly and drew upon his thirst that had bugged him all night. Now.

Where could that hacker be?

And off he ran, following any scent trails that indicated life.
He ran. And he ran. Until he was near the entrance to the Hall of Mirrors. He smelled blood. He saw a man. They weren't in the same place.

RrJZaw0.jpg

"Who do we have here? Nevermind. Girls... take him." The image said. Because Nosferatu knew it was an image due to his enhanced senses.

aQdrcJW.jpg
GHCHeR9.jpg
The girl on the left had blood. The one on the right... didn't, but was physically there. The two circled, one like a predator, one, well... skipping.

@Ringmaster
fp1dVSn.jpg
When Grady closed in on the electrical box, near it, stood a woman. It was April. Initially she was facing away from him. "Go away, Grady. You can't see me like this. No one can. Death is so much better than what waits for you here. Just go. If you ever cared for me then just go."

Of course he wouldn't take no for an answer, and when he moved in, she turned around. Her skin was pale, shining like porcelain in the flashing lights of the park. When she spoke, it came from a point deep in her chest, and her lips didn't move.

It was then he realized, her facial features never changed. Not a blink. It was like looking at a doll's face. "They only stopped experimenting on me when... when they couldn't affect me anymore. You need to have eyes to see the horrible thing. Just go. It's taking all of my willpower not to strike you as ordered now. Go, I'm lost. Save the others if you can. Some are here, some are with the paddleboats. Go!"

That last was punctuated by a wild swing in Grady's direction, that he felt the wind of. Whatever April had become, she was a lot stronger than a woman her size had any right to be.
@Gands

"Who do we have here? Nevermind. Girls... take him." The image said. Because Nosferatu knew it was an image due to his enhanced senses.

aQdrcJW.jpg
GHCHeR9.jpg
The girl on the left had blood. The one on the right... didn't, but was physically there. The two circled, one like a predator, one, well... skipping.
"You really don't want to do that, for several reasons."

The least of which was threatening to come out. Behind the mask, he added irritably.

"First of all, I have no quarrel and I'm certainly no hero. I didn't come to look for a fight."

One foot slowly, began to tap as he slipped his hands into his pockets and stared at the image, to give the illusion he was affected by it as he strained his hearing for the one behind it.

"I'm here to warn you, while I'm away from the yahoos who think I'm in it for conscious sake. But before I do so...Whats the point in it? This....Whatever it is?"

He gestured out towards the women as he added.

"Doesn't seem especially profitable."

@Michale CS

They wont hurt anyone anymore April !

My instructors with the martial arts staff training first and foremost taught me to think and react in a fight without emotion. To lock those things within yourself. I don't know how success I'll be, since my heart is being torn out of me, I can count only on a couple of advantages, whatever April is now, they haven't trained her fully how to fight and she might be able to fight it still. Plus, maybe she and the others don't see well in the darkness.

For now, I stuck to the matter at hand, I ducked and rolled under April's swing, sprung up and bashed the Electrical panel with my Shillelagh, hoping to nock it into next week.

@Michale CS @Ringmaster @york

"I'm here to warn you, while I'm away from the yahoos who think I'm in it for conscious sake. But before I do so...Whats the point in it? This....Whatever it is?"

He gestured out towards the women as he added.

"Doesn't seem especially profitable."
"Hold." He commanded the girls and they paused in their predation.

"Oh but it is, very profitable. So much so, that I've abandoned my erstwhile employer and struck into business for myself. But... since you say you're no hero, then... leave. This is none of your concern. I won't be so foolish as to invite you to join me, but look... this woman, made of living rags. That took a special amount of effort. Thankfully I had another hero come before you, and he helped me with this particular experiment. I didn't kill him, and I won't kill you. No, sir. But I will... change you. If... you do the stupid thing and stay around. You've had ample warning. Make your move. I've already made mine."

As for the location of the voice, it was coming from a nearby speaker, attached to a golf cart, a rentacop security vehicle if there ever was one.

@Ringmaster
For now, I stuck to the matter at hand, I ducked and rolled under April's swing, sprung up and bashed the Electrical panel with my Shillelagh, hoping to nock it into next week.
"You don't understand! You can't! They change you!" This time, the speed of the wild swing catches Grady in the shoulder and spins him completely around. It was like being hit by a battering ram. There was no softness to the flesh. It felt like solid marble had slammed into him.

As for the electrical panel, it was well and truly smashed, and inside, pulsed a flickering blue forcefield. Behind that the trademarked Stark Industries logo and a pretty pulsing group of lights.

1028201521135AM-arc_reactor__iron_man__wallpaper_by_moon_dazzle-d656jfy1.png

The amusement park was now cut off from the grid, but the little Arc Reactor fired up complete with forcefield. Of course there would have to be a wire somewhere, right? But finding it might have to take place after dealing with April... somehow.

"I don't want to hurt you, Grady! But I can't stop! He's controlling me. Thankfully he sucks at fighting games and can't control my voice box." She launched into a series of punches that looked like they were thrown by a kid on a elementary school playground.

@Gands

Last edited:
"Hold." He commanded the girls and they paused in there predation.

"Oh but it is, very profitable. So much so, that I've abandoned my erstwhile employer and struck into business for myself. But... since you say you're no hero, then... leave. This is none of your concern. I won't be so foolish as to invite you to join me, but look... this woman, made of living rags. That took a special amount of effort. Thankfully I had another hero come before you, and he helped me with this particular experiment. I didn't kill him, and I won't kill you. No, sir. But I will... change you. If... you do the stupid thing and stay around. You've had ample warning. Make your move. I've already made mine."

As for the location of the voice, it was coming from a nearby speaker, attached to a golf cart, a rentacop security vehicle if there ever was one.
He reached up a hand to his mask, bringing it off his face. Hefting it in hand, he bounced it up and down casually.

"Living rags? Ha! Now I've heard everything. Now allow me to be as candid and forthright as you've been with me. I'm not a hero as I said- My condition prevents me from that sort of thing. Its been a long night, I'm thirsty and really not in a mood to fight. Now profit wise....I can't see it. Look at them!"

He gestured with the mask.

And in that move, flung it with rapid speed in the direction of the mike with the intention of breaking it. In the aftermath as he walked over to pick it up, he added quietly.

"Reliant on voice commands. Yours to be exact. But otherwise, no brain to follow anything else I suspect. Now let me put it this way- Call it a professional courtesy. I'm going to give you a chance to run. I won't stop you, you can get out of town and try again another time. Its just conflicting interests for me here that sets me against you. Or you can stay and try to fight me. Send your goons, use whatever gimmick you like. But if you do?"

He turned to the image and grinned widely, revealing the glint of fangs.

"Know that as I'm not a hero, I'm not going to arrest you."

He placed the mask back on and said darkly.

"I'm going to have myself a snack. You have ten minutes."

Time to go on the hunt.

And with that, he lashed out with a kick towards the mirror, in an attempt to shatter it before turning towards the women.

"Now then....Names? Reveal your designation."

@Michale CS

Hmmn... keep control... keep inside yourself.

They cannot change me April, leastways I'd take a lot longer than they'd like.

This is said while I'm dodging around, I'll need to break his signal somehow so I wack April in the back of the legs from behind and pick her up, throwing her over my shoulder, expecting her to be heavier than a normal person I don't pull my punch much. I'll just have to rely on my body's toughness for now.

Do yah know what kinda signal he's usin April ?

Argent was greeted by the sound of carnival music and gunfire in the distance, but before she could do much to react to that, she heard a strange voice from just below the tower.

iZombie-trailer2.jpg

"Look who's poking around where they shouldn't be! Won't matter. You'll be dead soon." The girl, who was almost obviously the same one whose picture was on the phone Lilly took, save the hair, skin and eye color change, leaped up and landed right next to Sentinel.

"Too bad. I would have loved to have seen how they would have changed you. Raahh!" The girl threw a wild haymaker at Argent, missing but catching the edge of the building, smashing a corner easily, it seemed.

What the hell was going on here?
@york
Argent Sentinel (Lilly Briant)
@Michale CS

Fortunately, the Sentinel had the moves to avoid the apparantly modified girl's attack, and fortunately so... While she had the durability, it was uncertain if she would be able to take the full force of that blow, as she wasn't quite certain of this girl's strength. All the same, she had questions that needed answering, and in order for that to happen... She needed this assailant alive.

Thinking fast, she drew her pistol, aiming to fire off a few quick shots towards the girl's legs, and preparing to dodge whatever might be coming next. At the very least, it would be ideal to see if this girl, in her current state was durable enough to take armor piercing bullets at close range. In the case that she wasn't, the Sentinel realized she would have to improvise... Her opponent was strong, but... She had to figure out what else she might have up her sleeve before she went on the offensive.​

Status
Not open for further replies.