Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. If I recall, they were just a bit of detail stuff. Not a big deal but do get them up.

Still working on my Vt captain for 10, bankai is still proving to be a pain.

Yo, considering making a veteran captain for the 13th division. Though, before I start on anything could I get some examples of what would be considered too OP for a captain of that level? While you say a veteran would have the experience of Byakuya or Soi Fon that doesn't tell me much in regards to abilities or power. Thanks.

Yo, considering making a veteran captain for the 13th division. Though, before I start on anything could I get some examples of what would be considered too OP for a captain of that level? While you say a veteran would have the experience of Byakuya or Soi Fon that doesn't tell me much in regards to abilities or power. Thanks.
Honestly they provide good feedback so create what u want then if it needs to be critiqued they will tell you what's acceptable

We are not terribly concerned about the zanpakuto's abilities in terms of what is kosher and what is not. That remains the same for all normal characters. Think of it like this. Whether it is a CC or a 7th seat that has shikai, every Shinigami was there at some point in time. So even if they ultimately become CC, that doesn't change their ability. It still was what it was. What does change is their individual strength, experience, and mastery over their abilities.

The things that are "OP" are the same things that are usually considered "OP" or as I prefer to call them, "abilities that aren't cognitive and beg for a better RPer to come slap said character". In other words, things that lead to unintelligent spamming and require no work. Here's some examples of such abilities.

Future sight. This is stupid because it is really impossible to apply and turns into a game of invisible BSing.

Immortality/invincibility. This is stupid because it turns into attrition matches that are one sidedly uninteractive.

State based abilities. State based means that it ignores interaction and just makes things happen. And your bones are broken. And your organs just exploded. And you just died. Why? Because my ability said so.

Nondirectional attacks. I chose the term nondirectional to describe these but the point is that they don't take up normal space and aren't really aimed or whatever. They just magically pop up where your target is. If you think it sounds ridiculous, be glad you do and that you haven't tried talking to someone who thinks that spamming this is somehow skillful.

Spammy infidodge abilities. This includes certain types of shapeshifting, teleportations, body phasing, etc. In other words, a way to take any practical attack and go "I used ______ ability and am now not hit". If I can copy paste that same line over and over with no mention as to how (Like when you block or actually dodge, you have to explain how), then it falls under this category and is obviously not intelligent.

Replacement jutsu. I say this because I run into it so often but it is really just an extension of one of the basic rules I work with and I just listed spammy infidodge. Yes you can do it but I have yet to run into anyone who uses it correctly. Literally. We're talking 0/hundreds. They seem to get the idea in their heads that they can throw something out there for you to hit and that they're SOMEHOW UNABLE TO BE TRACKED and can then proceed to POP UP WHEREVER THEY SO PLEASE. This is not the case. If you're in plain sight, I will see you. If you're not subtle, I will sense you. And Utsusemi will not work the way it does in the show.

Infinite loops. I don't think the people here even really intended to use them as such but we had to ask people to remove a few of these because of the potentiality for them to happen. For example, an ability that regenerates your reiatsu... which gives you enough reiatsu to do it again. If you can loop abilities over and over whether infinitely or semi infinitely, there's probably something wrong.

So anyway, those are just a few examples. If you want to infer the rest, everything I work off of is based around a few basic principles. Fighting principles, anyway. Plot will supersede fair fighting principle.

1. You will always have the right to respond to your opponent.
2. You as the RPer have a right to know what is happening. If you didn't state it, you didn't do it. If you didn't detail it, your opponent may make any reasonable interpretation of it.
3. You have mastery over your own character and no one takes that away.
4. RP is about interaction. We seek to have more of it, not less.

Last edited:
This rp would really hate Shunsui Kyōraku then lol. Given thats what all of his abilities are. And its surprisingly difficult to make an ability for a split bankai that has a sword and a shield.

Kyoraku is actually close to ok. I'm glad you brought that up. So let me go through one by one.

Bushogoma. A basic reiatsu attack. Balanced proportion (as in not stupid efficiency). Totally fine.

Takaoni. The higher up "wins" game. This is ok because it falls under the category of what I like to call a conditional ability. The "winning" part basically just increases speed and power for a tiny bit and is better able to be fought once the opponent knows what's happening... but you could also just have a normal ability that does similar stuff without the game with slightly less effect. No problem.

Kageoni. Getting your shadow stepped on loses. This is ok because it is not an autohit and there's a lot of interaction that goes into winning this game.

Inooni. The color game. Very fair. It just looks awesome because Kyroraku is good at it and his opponents mostly not so much.

Daruma-san ga Koronda. The reiatsu trail thing with spotting. This one I'd say is on the edge. The issue is that the move's effectiveness hinges not on skill but character capability. One could easily be caught in this and it ends up degrading the fight into "did he get seen or not"? We can't solve this kind of thing reasonably so we would likely decrease the wager or deem it unsuited for RP.

Kageokuri. Handled just like utsusemi. No problem.

All bankai static abilities. This is actually why I was glad it was brought up. This is an example of a zonal state based move. It can't really be dodged and the effects are state based. However, purely because it affects both parties with no capability of the user to mitigate the effects, we could talk about it. If I was running the show entirely on my own, more often that not I'd just say no for simplicity's sake because a lot of it becomes a game of interpretation. However, due to the possibility of practical use, I'd ask Akashi's opinion too.

Throat cutting of the really long name. Yes, it is a powerful attack. However, it has to land like any other attack. Don't tell me that it wouldn't be equally lethal to slice someone's head off.

We are not terribly concerned about the zanpakuto's abilities in terms of what is kosher and what is not. That remains the same for all normal characters. Think of it like this. Whether it is a CC or a 7th seat that has shikai, every Shinigami was there at some point in time. So even if they ultimately become CC, that doesn't change their ability. It still was what it was. What does change is their individual strength, experience, and mastery over their abilities.

The things that are "OP" are the same things that are usually considered "OP" or as I prefer to call them, "abilities that aren't cognitive and beg for a better RPer to come slap said character". In other words, things that lead to unintelligent spamming and require no work. Here's some examples of such abilities.

Future sight. This is stupid because it is really impossible to apply and turns into a game of invisible BSing.

Immortality/invincibility. This is stupid because it turns into attrition matches that are one sidedly uninteractive.

State based abilities. State based means that it ignores interaction and just makes things happen. And your bones are broken. And your organs just exploded. And you just died. Why? Because my ability said so.

Nondirectional attacks. I chose the term nondirectional to describe these but the point is that they don't take up normal space and aren't really aimed or whatever. They just magically pop up where your target is. If you think it sounds ridiculous, be glad you do and that you haven't tried talking to someone who thinks that spamming this is somehow skillful.

Spammy infidodge abilities. This includes certain types of shapeshifting, teleportations, body phasing, etc. In other words, a way to take any practical attack and go "I used ______ ability and am now not hit". If I can copy paste that same line over and over with no mention as to how (Like when you block or actually dodge, you have to explain how), then it falls under this category and is obviously not intelligent.

Replacement jutsu. I say this because I run into it so often but it is really just an extension of one of the basic rules I work with and I just listed spammy infidodge. Yes you can do it but I have yet to run into anyone who uses it correctly. Literally. We're talking 0/hundreds. They seem to get the idea in their heads that they can throw something out there for you to hit and that they're SOMEHOW UNABLE TO BE TRACKED and can then proceed to POP UP WHEREVER THEY SO PLEASE. This is not the case. If you're in plain sight, I will see you. If you're not subtle, I will sense you. And Utsusemi will not work the way it does in the show.

Infinite loops. I don't think the people here even really intended to use them as such but we had to ask people to remove a few of these because of the potentiality for them to happen. For example, an ability that regenerates your reiatsu... which gives you enough reiatsu to do it again. If you can loop abilities over and over whether infinitely or semi infinitely, there's probably something wrong.

So anyway, those are just a few examples. If you want to infer the rest, everything I work off of is based around a few basic principles. Fighting principles, anyway. Plot will supersede fair fighting principle.

1. You will always have the right to respond to your opponent.
2. You as the RPer have a right to know what is happening. If you didn't state it, you didn't do it. If you didn't detail it, your opponent may make any reasonable interpretation of it.
3. You have mastery over your own character and no one takes that away.
4. RP is about interaction. We seek to have more of it, not less.
Hmm, I see, thanks for the thorough reply. Most of the ideas I had in mind for ability were simple so I don't think they'll be the problem. The only thing that may be close to the things you mentioned is a bankai idea I had that has some semblance to a state based ability. I'll begin looking for images and hashing out the finer details of history.

Well, don't just abandon the idea unless you can say that it is clearly off. We can talk about it and figure out something most likely. Unless you want to of course.

Well, don't just abandon the idea unless you can say that it is clearly off. We can talk about it and figure out something most likely. Unless you want to of course.
Well, as a raw idea without any specifics it would be similar to Furenji's(Iroh's) Jenosaido in that it absorbs reiryoku. However, different from Jenosaido it wouldn't be a giant ship nor would it release the energy unless in a one time single burst. Beyond that I had thought of making it increase in density and weight as it absorbs more reiryoku. The absorption would be a constant affect that the captain couldn't stop or control. The closer one was to the zanpakuto the greater the absorption of reiryoku would be, the captain not being an exception. It would cause physical damage as well possibly more so as greater reiryoku was absorbed.

That's perfectly fine. State based doesn't really refer to you generally so much as it refers to your opponent.

If I touch you, your arm is arbitrarily broken.

If you step on my trap, you arbitrarily have 10% of your reiatsu sapped.

Things like that.

That's perfectly fine. State based doesn't really refer to you generally so much as it refers to your opponent.

If I touch you, your arm is arbitrarily broken.

If you step on my trap, you arbitrarily have 10% of your reiatsu sapped.

Things like that.
Okay, and well yes, but you could phrase my ability in a similar fashion. "If I release my bankai you will lose reiryoku." It could also be considered a non directional attack as within a general area regardless of position reiryoku will be sapped. Though, I won't be making it ridiculous in reach.

Oh, I misunderstood that. My bad. If the bankai has absolutely no real requirement under which it absorbs reiatsu and simply does it in a zone or just because, leeching from your opponent, then yes it will fall under the taboo section. Basically, earn your hits. Don't try to get them for free by existing and writing something into the sheet. The reason why we do this is to avoid things effectively becoming a battle of "Beat your opponent within X posts of close combat".

Oh, I misunderstood that. My bad. If the bankai has absolutely no real requirement under which it absorbs reiatsu and simply does it in a zone or just because, leeching from your opponent, then yes it will fall under the taboo section. Basically, earn your hits. Don't try to get them for free by existing and writing something into the sheet. The reason why we do this is to avoid things effectively becoming a battle of "Beat your opponent within X posts of close combat".
The only requirement would be distance. The closer you are the stronger the absorption affect is to where hitting and making contact is the maximum. Hmm, then my character as a whole probably won't be allowed. I imagined his fighting style being to wear down the enemy's will and endurance until collapse.

How about giving it conditions? Rather than merely being in the zone, needing to execute something. Some common methods are hitting the target, trap style where stepping on the small areas you set up will trigger a drain, or something? Perhaps a reiatsu use tax where concentrating it is more difficult (and thus takes more) and adopting a style of combat that minimizes your own reiatsu use. We can play around a little bit in the gray area.

How about giving it conditions? Rather than merely being in the zone, needing to execute something. Some common methods are hitting the target, trap style where stepping on the small areas you set up will trigger a drain, or something? Perhaps a reiatsu use tax where concentrating it is more difficult (and thus takes more) and adopting a style of combat that minimizes your own reiatsu use. We can play around a little bit in the gray area.
Well, just to clarify I wasn't going to have the reiryoku drain be the same constantly. Simply standing within the zone of its affect which I'd give a generous distance of 100 yards will have you sensing the draining affect. It'll be a slight absorption, but one over a long battle will mount up. Though, the idea of a reiatsu use tax sounds promising against an enemy. Perhaps closer at around 30 yards or so it could cause the enemy to struggle with reiatsu. If you mean for my captain to suffer the tax then it would be redundant as while he uses the bankai his zanpakuto is constantly consuming his reiryoku greatly. So much so that in combat with his Shikai he rarely if ever uses reiatsu in order to preserve it in case he must use his Bankai.

Though, on the topic of Shikai I wanted your opinion on its ability as well. Less daunting than the Bankai I was simply going to have the Shikai ability be my captain can change the weight of his zanpakuto through density at will by flooding/draining it of his reiryoku. It would also allow for him to make its cutting edge sharper as greater reiatsu vs a weaker one determines who gets cut.

The part I'm wanting an opinion on is would that consume his reiryoku? I was thinking since his zanpakuto is apart of his soul it would merely be transferring it from his body to the extended part of his soul the zanpakuto. Also it fits along with the theme of his relationship with his zanpakuto which is one of burden. In Shikai he would burden his Zanpakuto with his immense reiryoku in order to fight. On the flip side in Bankai his Zanpakuto would burden him by rapidly draining his reiryoku uncontrollably along with his opponents making it harder to wield and fight with him. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The point about the arbitrary drain is just to make it so it doesn't create some post limit to stall to or the like. So you'd actually have to manually wear them down rather than "Survive X posts and win".

A mirrored effect that affects both sides are generally more acceptable. Yes, even if your character has shifted fighting styles to limit how much it affect him. The point is that it forced him to fight a certain way to minimize said effects. He's just choosing his methods to best suit his ability, meaning that those who are smart or able enough to fight in similar manner will end up on similar playing ground. This ability to use similar exertion allows a method to negate "survive X posts and win" because the drain is roughly symmetrical.

On the shikai, I'd make sure to set a speed at which he can drain and fill his zanpakuto so we don't have instant one shotting on demand. Light weight weapon immediately has the striking force of a truck, flying at the speed of a bullet, yada, yada, yada.

There are many ways to work it symbolically. You should choose what you feel fits the character best. However, I can give a few ideas.

Shared burden. The idea would be to make him expend reiatsu in order to tax his opponents. So the more he spends, the more they get taxed. In this way, he can change the tempo of his attrition game.

A zoned burden centered around him. So it'd be a summoned zone, bubble, field, or whatever that has one initial cost to create and creates upkeep for itself by draining all those in the area which of course includes himself.

Self burden. A law type ability that increases the weighing down capability of reiatsu outside the body. This makes it so people who expend more reiatsu for anything (shunpo, zanpakuto abilities, protecting their body, etc) feel the stress as if they were being pressured down by it. So this would create a "rule" of sorts that states that there's a penalty for using too much reiatsu at any given time. The more you use, the more stamina and reiatsu (to counteract the effects) you burn. What this would result in would be a low powers fight on a much closer to human level of operation.

The point about the arbitrary drain is just to make it so it doesn't create some post limit to stall to or the like. So you'd actually have to manually wear them down rather than "Survive X posts and win".

A mirrored effect that affects both sides are generally more acceptable. Yes, even if your character has shifted fighting styles to limit how much it affect him. The point is that it forced him to fight a certain way to minimize said effects. He's just choosing his methods to best suit his ability, meaning that those who are smart or able enough to fight in similar manner will end up on similar playing ground. This ability to use similar exertion allows a method to negate "survive X posts and win" because the drain is roughly symmetrical.

On the shikai, I'd make sure to set a speed at which he can drain and fill his zanpakuto so we don't have instant one shotting on demand. Light weight weapon immediately has the striking force of a truck, flying at the speed of a bullet, yada, yada, yada.

There are many ways to work it symbolically. You should choose what you feel fits the character best. However, I can give a few ideas.

Shared burden. The idea would be to make him expend reiatsu in order to tax his opponents. So the more he spends, the more they get taxed. In this way, he can change the tempo of his attrition game.

A zoned burden centered around him. So it'd be a summoned zone, bubble, field, or whatever that has one initial cost to create and creates upkeep for itself by draining all those in the area which of course includes himself.

Self burden. A law type ability that increases the weighing down capability of reiatsu outside the body. This makes it so people who expend more reiatsu for anything (shunpo, zanpakuto abilities, protecting their body, etc) feel the stress as if they were being pressured down by it. So this would create a "rule" of sorts that states that there's a penalty for using too much reiatsu at any given time. The more you use, the more stamina and reiatsu (to counteract the effects) you burn. What this would result in would be a low powers fight on a much closer to human level of operation.
Understandable. I wouldn't want "Survive X posts and win" as that would be boring.

Cool. Exactly, I was aiming for a roughly equal playing field in regards to the ability itself.

I planned to, I had in mind the time it takes to take a step back before striking again so roughly 2-3 seconds. It would be a gradual progression in order to condition an opponent a specific way to exploit a weakness in form.

Those sound like excellent ideas especially the last one as a low power battle would be beneficial for my captain as I plan to have most of his prowess be a result of himself. However, I don't think they'd fit the personality and history I had in mind for him. I imagined him more the type to take burden instead of dishing it out. His Zanpakuto being apart of himself illustrates that in the Shikai form and uncontrollably in the Bankai.

Since we're able to come to an agreement on the specifics I'll begin working on it tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to discuss it Nevvy.

Then you could easily reverse it, though it'd be a bit tricky in application. Create a law type effect where the pace of burdening is influenced by the one dictated as his opponent. While he isn't in control, it means that people who don't figure it out will have issues and those that do will still have to deal that the burden is increased during their most critical moments (whenever they're using an ability or doing something big). So in flavor, the burden put out by the other person is creating the stress and pressure zone. That's about as out of his control as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.