• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... should I take the "crazy old hermit" or "Sauron" approach for the guy with the Philosopher's Stone Fragment

I like crazy old guys better than evil lords.

Sigh x.x I might not post today. Feeling really depressed.

The subplot guy we discussed earlier.

Oh right, forgot about that. My bad.

EDIT: Personally I would stay away from the Sauron route because not only has that been beaten to death but one of the main themes of the story is meant to be that nothing impacts the world more than normal people. Example, our heroes are not the chosen ones, they are the ones that said yes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Greenie
Crazy old hermit it is.

Example, our heroes are not the chosen ones, they are the ones that said yes.
Dangit I dunno why that made me teary. *runs off to sob*

our heroes are not the chosen ones, they are the ones that said yes.
The ones that were curious enough, brave enough, strange enough, or Cojack enough to say yes. Or say "Ooooooh, shiny!" Whichever applies.

The ones that were curious enough, brave enough, strange enough, or Cojack enough to say yes. Or say "Ooooooh, shiny!" Whichever applies.
Or stupid enough! Depending on how you see it.

Hello :P

Been gaming (plus being frustrated by complicated Minceraft mods) and didn't check in today, but now I'm here :D

Try Tinkers Construct, it's a bit complex but once you get the hang of it it's alright.

Been doing pneumatic craft, one two words: pressure chambers.

Also I been doing the Agrarian Skies hardcore pack, and been running out of food and starving :(

I could play again, but once I made everything automatic with redstone I found most of my playing was waiting for my stuff to stock up...

Well,I'm currently waiting for my crafting computer to make a piece of compressed cobble stone that consists of 8 billion+ other cobble stones. I got three dozens of automatic cobble generators up and I'm still only half way.

What am I doing with my life.

Philosopher's Stone notes:

-One Diamond currently has roughly 1000 souls inside initially

-Souls can be used for spells and healing, though they cannot be replenished except by combat.

-Five to ten Diamonds are needed to make one Philosopher's Stone Fragment

-Two Fragments make a Sage's Stone

-Three Fragments or One Fragment and a Sage's Stone make the Philosopher's Stone whole again

-The Philosopher's Stone can be broken into X number of Diamonds when completed, but only situationally

Last edited:
That feels like way too many souls to one fragment. Currently there are at least 12 diamonds if we include your hermit-mad-man-thing assuming he has one making 12000 souls, this RP leaves room for new players and characters so let's assume a cap of 7 more people that's 19000 souls for one stone. Since we're dealing with souls here and the Kindred are the most adept, even our most powerful kindred in the history of ever was able to raise maybe 2 or 3 undead soldiers at a time. Managing 19000 souls, let's round that to 20000 for simplicity sakes, for even a very powerful kindred would be very problematic.

I propose instead we make it less a quantity of souls and more a quality of souls. I'd like to see my original (albeit unexplained) idea of each diamond being a capsule of a soul of powerful warriors of the past (within reason). Would you agree to lowering the number from 1000 to say 50? Dramatic drop I know, but it makes the numbers more manageable. 600 souls (1000 if you factor new characters and/or unused diamonds) for one kindred is still quite a few to handle, but given the situation we can assume this was no normal Kindred. Accompanying the 50 souls lies one "core soul" which would be the key part that makes them so effective, the vital piece to make up for the drop in soul count.

To me this would make more sense in the world at hand. True there are lots of souls of the dead, but once passed on it is no easy task to call them back to the plane of the living.

The idea, however, is not that they're not being called into the mortal plane. They're in a state where necromancy would be impossible unless you were creating homunculi or golems.

Regardless, I'm using FMA/FMAB as a resource here, so I'll do some math and see what'll work comparatively.

I get that, the problem is not about necromancy, it's about how it came into being. Something involving souls would most definitely mean Kindred were involved but the scale of power in this world is actually not all that high. Unless 20,000 people were lined up and freshly slaughtered the Kindred would have to bring in whole clans (yes plural) to conjure that much energy. If they are in the stone and the living can use them then this medium must have been crafted which would cause to to be limited by the confines of the kindreds power, and as I said even our most powerful was hardly a badass.

FMA is great but a lot of what happens there is not only done differently but the scale of power is much higher. Someone as powerful as Roy Mustang would be a godly legend and maybe even heralded as a deity in elven culture. Simply put this is not FMA, this is Rothendust. Scrolling through the character roster very few have access to true magic, even the Espers which are suits of armor filled with pure magical energy are limited, mine being a literal suit of armor and our now MIA S'Kar being someone who basically just burns stuff down, they may not feel physical fatigue but they still have their limits. Just as we use metabolic energy, they use magic energy.

I'm slightly confused on what exactly the Philosopher Stone is - in this universe, specifically. I understand its basic principle in FMA and Harry Potter, along with what it is to the real world (lead to gold, immortality, etc.). Especially if we're using FMA as a reference, these souls are effectively trapped in the Stone and their energy is used up with each usage. Does this mean the diamonds will also degrade with usage? Including quantity and quality of usage? Do the diamonds have unlimited power?

Status
Not open for further replies.