• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
—Even after been so many years working as a Shinigami, Azrael still having trouble controlling his weather manipulation abilities.
Oh, my God... Somebody, please, kill me now! I probably didn't notice this big mistake because it's the first time I create a female character, lol.

And about my Bio, thank you for that. I'll be working on that and honestly, I found it that it was missing something or something looked strange. And about "ripping out the cancer", I'm not sure about that. I guess I have to wait for Eruantien to check this.

Oh, my God... Somebody, please, kill me now! I probably didn't notice this big mistake because it's the first time I create a female character, lol.

And about my Bio, thank you for that. I'll be working on that and honestly, I found it that it was missing something or something looked strange. And about "ripping out the cancer", I'm not sure about that. I guess I have to wait for Eruantien to check this.
You should know enough from the copious amounts of info I have given over the last two months

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-09%20at%208.50.14%20PM.png

Why is any human even allowed to have such an overblown and ridiculous name.

What the actual f**k!? That's his full name! Oh, my God! His parents probably didn't love him that much as a child! xD Poor man!

Also, I changed my Bio. Please, have a look at it, especially at the part of the incident. Hope that changing makes everything clearer now. I really did my best...

@IceQueen
I'm not accustomed to it either I planned on finally playing a female character, so spare me some mercy!

So I was at school all day today. I didn't have time to look into everything regarding "Azrael" thus far, but here goes... for a [BCOLOR=#ff0000]TL;DR / summary[/BCOLOR] skip to the bottom.
small note, can you please contact me when you have some character ideas so we can discuss how the Harbingers would arrive at the Academy?
I will. For now, the only thing I can tell you is that I'm planning on creating a female which name will be Azrael. She will also have a mechanic and red-ish scythe which can switch forms and will also have an own mind. Which also reminds me to ask you if that is okay.
I never got any communication @Shinku⭐Kun so I was never able to let you know if your ideas were okay. I really wish you'd have sent me at least something like a barebones CS, so I could have said whether your idea fit with the overall lore concepts of the Harbingers that I originally had (and perhaps forgot to write about >_<). That said, I'm going to just tackle the whole CS now... please bear with me, I probably will sound cutting but there are several points I need to correct and inquire about. With THAT said, I think I did leave a lot of points unaddressed in my original Harbinger race sheet, but I'll be [BCOLOR=#ffff00]highlighting[/BCOLOR] where I clarify these. [BCOLOR=#00ff00][minor][/BCOLOR] points don't necessarily need to be changed up, but I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter; [BCOLOR=#ff6600][MAJOR][/BCOLOR] points definitely require attention in a rework.
Name: Azrael
Race: Harbinger
Apparent Age: 18 years old
Actual Age: 15 Billion Years
[BCOLOR=#00ff00][minor][/BCOLOR] The actual age of the universe is reported to be only about 13.7 billion years old, which is why I made Key's age slightly larger. [BCOLOR=#ffff00]All Harbingers should be the same age.[/BCOLOR] Is there a specific reason you have 15 billion here?
Detailed Description of her Appearance: Azrael is a beautiful female that's 5'.5", pretty short compared to other beings of her race. Her straight and long hair (reaching the middle of her tights) is pure white, which sometimes shines at nights of full moon. Her stunning eyes are bright red, which change depending on the power she uses:

•On Penance Stare: her eyes shine and pupils dilate. This effect lasts until she blinks once to stop using the ability.
•On Severing: the bright red of her eyes turns into a deep scarlet before "harvesting" the soul of her victim.
•When manipulating the weather: her eyes stays normal.
I do like her appearance (remember that a Harbinger naturally is formless), and the effects of her eyes. Her face in the image almost seems bored though, although I'd imagine you will be able to write her personality with some more liveliness.
Her skin is a soft tone of pale, almost looking like cream. Surprisingly, it doesn't have any impurities or scars, which gave out the idea that Azrael takes a good care of it. Her breasts have a decent size, C-cup to be precisely, and her body proportions are almost perfect and really attractive and sexy. Still, this is something that Azrael actually don't give that much care or think about like most human girls do. She thinks that it's a waste of time getting so stressed or depressed about mundane subjects and that everybody should be happy with what they were given.
[BCOLOR=#00ff00][minor][/BCOLOR] In my own head, I'm not really sure what the point of a Harbinger's mundane form having "sex appeal" is. Is it to lessen the fear of death?
[BCOLOR=#ff6600][MAJOR][/BCOLOR] She thinks it's a waste of time to be stressed? Surely, since there's a shockingly large number of suicides each year and potentially millions throughout history, a Harbinger would be able to say something other than "you should be happy with what you're given". Perhaps they could bring some wisdom into the equation, try and comfort the reaped.
Personality: Azrael is an interesting being among her race. At first, she may look like a really cold girl that's unable to express any kind of emotion on her face. When she talks, even when her voice is surprisingly soft and sweet, is monotone, almost sounding like some kind of soulless body. The truth is that Azrael has recently been able to feel emotions, but because she's a Harbinger, is extremely hard for her to been able to show it to everyone and she's still learning about them. For example, the reaction of somebody that's happy will be to smile or laugh. For Azrael, something this simple is really hard, so instead of that, she may say that's she's happy but emotionless facial expression will give out the idea that she's just been sarcastic.

The second case where Azrael actually show a lot of emotion was when a human guy accidentally bumped and tripped with her, his face landing right between her crotch and under her skirt. Unwillingly, her cheeks flushed a light tone of red and she suddenly took out her scythe and tried to kill and collect the soul of the poor guy and send it to hell as a punishment, mostly because she was embarrassed, but she didn't know about it.
[BCOLOR=#00ff00][minor][/BCOLOR] Harbingers naturally have no form, but can choose any they are partial to. Is there a reason Azrael should get embarrassed over an incident like this? It's not as if her body is the one she's stuck with forever. This leads into my next point...
[BCOLOR=#ff6600][MAJOR][/BCOLOR] Harbingers don't choose who lives or who dies, they just receive the orders and carry them out. [BCOLOR=#ffff00]Yes, it will be painful for some people, but part of the job of the Harbingers is to give souls a bit of compassion[/BCOLOR]. I think a bit farther down here you mention banishment over this sort of thing, but I'll get to that when it's time. For this part, though, let me attempt to write some more about emotions:
  1. [BCOLOR=#ffff00]Harbingers realistically should have no reason to feel basic emotions like embarrassment, lust, envy, etc. It's just not part of their nature. They're as old as the universe and have acquired a lot of practical knowledge and compassion over the ages. They don't have conflict in Valhalla; it's a place of rest.[/BCOLOR] Perhaps I never made that quite clear in the original race sheet, but I'm clarifying it now.
  2. Emotions are hard to write about, probably because I still don't completely understand them myself. Still, I think we can agree that feeling "joy" or "sadness" is different from feeling the so-called basic emotions I listed above. [BCOLOR=#ffff00]THESE are the feelings that I will allow a Harbinger to show, but nothing less focused.[/BCOLOR]
Overall, Azrael is a misunderstood girl that just trying to show everyone that Harbingers aren't the cold-blooded and soulless beings everyone thinks they are. She can feel emotions and can be a sweet, gentle and extremely loyal friend regardless of her hard and dark duty.
[BCOLOR=#ff6600][MAJOR][/BCOLOR] After reading this several times, I see where you're going here. She's trying to make death seem friendly... I would ask, any comment on why this could be a bad idea? "Hey, everyone, there's no reason to be afraid of dying! It's actually not that bad!"
Because it is intrinsically the end of one's life. No more adventures, no more personal growth, no more chances to have fulfilling experiences. And, such an attitude opens up the "easy way out".
Bio:
Among the Harbinger race, Azrael is an important figure. She's been doing her duty for a really long time, almost since the beginning of time. She has collected so many souls that nobody actually knows the exact amount number, but it's believed that it has surpassed the trillion. Because of this, many Shinigami have associated her with the legendary Azrael, the Angel of Death, even having that name, she actually not related to him in any way. Azrael was enjoying years of glory, earning a lot of respect and admiration of her race.
lol at "years of glory", good one
One night, everything changed. On one of her usually harvest missions, for the first time ever, Azrael victim was a 8 years old child with cancer. Unfortunately for him, he wouldn't be able to make it, so his time was over. Azrael, thinking that collecting the soul of a child was no different from an adult, arrived at the hospital where the child was staying, all confident and acting like she normally does. As she finally met the child face to face, he told him that he was expecting her. That didn't amuse Azrael because it wasn't the first time she heard those words.

As the child asked if he could request a two final wish, Azrael surprisingly decided to make an exception. What the child wish was what touched Azrael deeply on her her soul: a hug and a message for his parents. While hugging the child, Azrael felt shivers on her spine, her chest began to felt heavy and she suddenly felt the urge to cry. This was something that never happened before to her nor something she heard that have happened to a Shinigami either. It was weird, but somehow, Azrael enjoyed the feeling after feeling a little more... Human.

After the hug, the child laid on the bed and closed his eyes, smiling brightly and with a really peaceful expression. Seeing him accepting his fate and embracing death with such bravery moved Azrael, so when she lifted her scythe to harvest his soul, she stopped for a brief moment, looking down at him. For the firs time ever, she didn't want to do her duty. She believed that his time in this world isn't supposed to be over. So, instead of taking his soul, Azrael ripped off his cancer, making the child fall asleep, but he would be fine the next morning.
[BCOLOR=#ff6600][MAJOR][/BCOLOR] Yeeeahhh... I do hate to break it to you, but [BCOLOR=#ffff00]Harbingers don't really have that kind of power, "ripping off cancer". They can at times bend the rules, give final gifts, or make small exceptions or extensions on time, but control over life isn't part of their allotted powers.[/BCOLOR] Sorry. They don't control fate, although they can twist it here and there. In the end, everybody has to reach their destiny.
A lot of emotions that Azrael didn't know about began to overwhelm her as she left the hospital and took her locomotive to Valhalla. She knew she would get in deep trouble for what she did and could be considerate as an insubordination, earning her a serious punishment that could put in risk her job and life. For some reason, though, she wasn't scared or worried. She actually felt nice and wished the best for that child.

When she arrived at Valhalla, everybody already knew what she did and the high commands already had a punishment for her: a suspension from her duties as a Shinigami for a year and she needed to work on a human job and study in a special academy called "Omnibus". Without any rejections or arguments, Azrael accepted her punishment, knowing it was to be expected they won't overlook such blasphemy against her race. At least they have mercy and let her keep her powers and weapon.
I'm going to bypass the rest of this, since it doesn't apply anymore. I will say that a suspension of sorts might be a good idea, in the future, for Harbingers who don't reap. However, according to my own lore, there should be no reason this should ever happen, because there's no point to it. Harbingers understand the circumstances of one's death and respond to them appropriately.
HOWEVER
In the event of a terrible, evil, merciless death... I think some rules could be stretched farther than normal.
This may come into play sooner than expected.
Other:
—Azrael favorite quote about death: "When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh
OK, EXCELLENT
Unfortunately most races don't reincarnate, but I really, REALLY like this quote anyway. This basically sums up the whole driving force that describes what Harbingers bring to souls.
This was rumored to be about suicide, but it actually deals with the inevitability of death and the belief that we should not fear it. When Dharma wrote it, he was thinking about what would happen if he died at a young age and if he would be reunited with loved ones in the afterlife. Dharma explained in a 1995 interview with College Music Journal: "I felt that I had just achieved some kind of resonance with the psychology of people when I came up with that, I was actually kind of appalled when I first realized that some people were seeing it as an advertisement for suicide or something that was not my intention at all. It is, like, not to be afraid of it (as opposed to actively bring it about). It's basically a love song where the love transcends the actual physical existence of the partners."
Long story short, don't fear death, but don't run to meet it on its own terms.
—Even after been so many years working as a Shinigami, Azrael still having trouble controlling his weather manipulation abilities. So, it won't be a surprise that a beautiful sunny and clear day suddenly changes into a rainy and stormy one after Azrael arrival. This is something that annoys her a lot and keeps trying hard in learning to control the ability.
[BCOLOR=#00ff00][minor][/BCOLOR] Makes for good RP perhaps, but I'd think that an entity that's billions of years old would probably have everything under control by now.
—Azrael can sometimes be been seen chasing a poor person with her scythe, explaining to him or her to stop and embrace death with bravery. Most of the times this happens because mentioned person says a negative comment about death that offends Azrael. So, she chases them to teach them a lesson, probably trying to joke around, but ends up traumatizing them for life.
[BCOLOR=#ff6600][MAJOR][/BCOLOR] Again, emotions. Why should a Harbinger take offense at words? They're a supernatural race, whose domain is death, and having dealt with death in so many fashions across so many years, they should be able to understand why certain people react the way they do, and help them come to terms with it.
HADES
Azrael's loyal and useful scythe, which name is Hades, has a mind of its own. This is it because the scythe is actually the home of the soul of a fallen warrior. That was part of a pact he made with Azrael minutes before dying. At the beginning, Azrael's scythe was the ordinary black-ish type everybody knows, but after wanting to have a unique weapon, she asked a blacksmith of Valhalla to modify it and surprise her with something new and modern. The final result was mind-blowing: a mechanical black scythe with details highlighted in red and a beautiful yet deadly blade of steel. The best feature of the scythe is that it can switch forms by pressing a few buttons located on the handle. It can morph into pretty much anything, except fire weapons. The soul of the warrior was moved to a special vase that works as the core of the whole scythe. So, the scythe is indestructible as long as its "core" it's not broken or damaged.
[BCOLOR=#00ff00][minor][/BCOLOR] First things first. I, too, enjoy RWBY, but I feel like maybe this weapon is slightly too similar in concept and design to the one from the show. I won't require you to change its appearance, but...
[BCOLOR=#ff6600][MAJOR][/BCOLOR] A pact was made with a Harbinger? So, basically, the warrior's soul now lives on inside the scythe? I can't help but feel there's a deity or seven who wouldn't be completely happy with a Harbinger retaining someone who should have ended up in their domain, perhaps.
[BCOLOR=#ff0000]Overall[/BCOLOR], here are my thoughts on Azrael:
  • She seems immature for her age, and especially for her race. If you really want her to fit in as a Harbinger, she'd need to get a lot more wisdom and, well, "act her age". :p
  • I think she has something of a misguided personal compass. I've addressed this about halfway down the spoiler above, but I'll recap here: if a Being of Death tries to teach people that death isn't awful, what do you think might start to happen..?
WITH ALL OF THAT SAID:
I do appreciate the amount of work you put into Azrael's CS, but I really wish you'd given me a chance to discuss my own inspirations with you before you put so much into it. Unfortunately, I have to say that there's quite a bit that needs reworking.
It's quite possible I'm being unnecessarily "restrictive" here on a Harbinger's behavior. However, being that they're my race, I feel like I'm still within my creative rights, but please tell me if this is not the case @Kagayours and @Luma.
And, I guess, this all probably seems like I've made the Harbingers super boring as a race to RP, but I can assure you that I have excellent plans in place for Key, at least. It's just that I haven't had a chance to properly introduce them to the IC thread, so I haven't been able to set the tone of their existence yet. I can promise everything will make more sense just a bit later on.
If I had to compare a Harbinger to an existing fictional character, I suppose I'd say they're most similar to Aslan from Narnia, except aligned to the "neutral" spiritual locale, and with much less power.

@Shinku⭐Kun if you've read all of this and are okay with making necessary changes, I see no reason Azrael can't remain as a Harbinger. But, please post here with an updated CS so I can re-review it.
Finally, if you decide it would be a lot of work to change Azrael's character, or that it might end up being very dull to RP as a Harbinger, I would recommend checking into the Demon race by @Kagayours, or maybe even drafting up a new race.

And... no hard feelings...? I just have a lot of preferences about this new supernatural race. They are primarily going to be used as a story hook at this stage in the RP, and even I don't know how everything is going to play out. Lastly, I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who reads all of this truly massive exposition; make sure I'm not contradicting myself anywhere. >_<

and if anybody wants to chat about death and stuff hmu. can't promise I'm the best at it but i try

After the hug, the child laid on the bed and closed his eyes, smiling brightly and with a really peaceful expression. Seeing him accepting his fate and embracing death with bravery at such a young age moved Azrael, so when she lifted her scythe to harvest his soul, she stopped for a brief moment, looking down at him. For the first time ever, she hesitated in accomplishing her duty. She believed that his time in this world wasn't supposed to be over and dared to wonder if the Time was always right. Still, the job needed to be done, so she swung her scythe, "cropping" the boy's soul.

A lot of emotions that Azrael didn't know about began to overwhelm her as she left the hospital, kindly and dearly holding the boy's soul in her hands as she took her locomotive to Valhalla. Wanting to do something about this boy that made an impact on her life, she decided to change the course of the train to Heaven. One of the rules of the Harbinger guide is that if the victim had no particular deity in its life, or never leaned to either end of the morality spectra, then its soul needs to be placed in Valhalla for eternal resting, but Azrael thought that the boy deserved to rest in Heaven, a more beautiful place to have a truly and happy eternal slumber. She knew she would get in deep trouble for what she was about to do and could be considerate as an insubordination, earning her a serious punishment that could put in risk her job and life. For some reason, though, she wasn't scared or worried. She actually felt nice and wished the best for the child's soul.

After safely handling the boy's soul to some archangels at the front gates of Heaven, Azrael returned to Valhalla and everybody already knew what she did and the high commands already had a punishment for her: a suspension from her duties as a Shinigami for 1,000 years and she needed to think about her actions, so she will think twice if doing something like that again. Without any rejections or arguments, Azrael accepted her punishment, knowing it was more than expected they wouldn't overlook such blasphemy against her race. At least they have mercy and let her keep her powers and weapon. Also, a thousand years for a Harbinger passed in the blink of an eye.

More than s thousand years happened and to this day, Azrael wasn't the same Azrael everyone in Valhalla knew. She became a Shinigami able to feel emotions even when she keeps struggling in showing them. She also didn't forget about that kind child that hugged her so tightly and bravely accepted his death like a hero. Now, mostly everyone Harbinger thinks that she just lost her mind after working so many years as a Shinigami. Azrael doesn't care, though, and she doesn't regret "saving" the boy's soul.
I *just* missed this.
... um, just kinda read what I previously posted, for now? I'll inspect this after approximately 47 pieces of holiday candy.
Screen%20Shot%202017-01-09%20at%208.50.14%20PM.png

Why is any human even allowed to have such an overblown and ridiculous name.
oh it's that dude Britishname Complicated

I think she has something of a misguided personal compass. I've addressed this about halfway down the spoiler above, but I'll recap here: if a Being of Death tries to teach people that death isn't awful, what do you think might start to happen..?
o3o I don't think the point was that Azreal was trying to show people that death isn't bad. Just that Harbingers aren't terrifying, despite their job.

It's quite possible I'm being unnecessarily "restrictive" here on a Harbinger's behavior. However, being that they're my race, I feel like I'm still within my creative rights, but please tell me if this is not the case @Kagayours and @Luma.
I kept my mouth shut for most of your post because, yes, you are the ambassador and you do get to decide your own rules. But if you want my personal opinion, then I do think that some of your criticisms are a bit... irrelevant, I guess? And in some places I just sort of disagree with your reasoning.

I can elaborate on that if you want, but I wanted to avoid being a backseat-ambassador unless you were ok with me putting in my two cents.

I just have a lot of preferences about this new supernatural race. They are primarily going to be used as a story hook at this stage in the RP,
But, uh... if your reasoning for being so strict is that you just want to use the Harbingers to further this specific plot thread, then, ehh... that I might have some issues with...

And I don't see why you can't be a bit more lenient with Shinku's character while still allowing your character's side-plot to play out the way you wanted.

Finally, if you decide it would be a lot of work to change Azrael's character, or that it might end up being very dull to RP as a Harbinger, I would recommend checking into the Demon race by @Kagayours, or maybe even drafting up a new race.
o_o Well, uh, if the point of Azreal's character was that she's a Harbinger who's sympathetic towards her victims (and occasionally spares them for that reason), then, uh... I'm not sure how well that would translate over to a demon. It's kind of hard for a demon to not eat souls without literally killing themselves.

A new race sounds good in-theory, but, again, I'm not sure how this character concept could work for anything other than a reaper. And making a new reaper race wouldn't make any sense because that role in the universe is already currently being taken by Harbingers.

Perhaps a sub-race would be the right way to go? Maybe there could be creatures that are like Harbingers, but... not quite as... official, for whatever reason? Maybe renegades? Or black-market soul-dealers???

I dunno. I don't want to override your ambassador authority, Eruantien, but I will encourage you to seek out more of a compromise with Shinku and at least try to find a way to make the character work. (Or at least ask Shinku if they had any other solid character ideas to fall back on...)

Anyway, I should probably go read the updated CS now, too.

• Love
Reactions: Stray Shinku
@Shinku⭐Kun I know I said it would make more sense for the incident with the dying kid to have happened a bit further back, but... were "hospitals" really even a thing 1,000 years ago? If they were, I'm sure they were rather different from what exists today -- but the part of Azrael's bio that first introduces the dying kid sort of just paints the picture of a modern-day hospital, so, to read that -- and then get a bit further down in the bio to find that all of this apparently happened 1,000 years ago? It's a bit jarring...

Besides, if the punishment's over, wouldn't she go back to reaping? I sort of assumed that she'd still be in the middle of her punishment during the RP, hence why she came to Omnibus. (In fact, wasn't that basically what happened in the original version of your CS?)

Anyway, Eruantien had much more... thorough criticisms of your CS, so, I'm not sure that my comments on it even really mean anything if you have to go through the extensive re-working that Eruantien wants from you. o_o

Anyway, Eruantien had much more... thorough criticisms of your CS, so, I'm not sure that my comments on it even really mean anything if you have to go through the extensive re-working that Eruantien wants from you. o_o
Yes, I'm discussing that via PM and I'm having a hard time trying to explain in simple words how my character.

@Shinku⭐Kun I know I said it would make more sense for the incident with the dying kid to have happened a bit further back, but... were "hospitals" really even a thing 1,000 years ago? If they were, I'm sure they were rather different from what exists today -- but the part of Azrael's bio that first introduces the dying kid sort of just paints the picture of a modern-day hospital, so, to read that -- and then get a bit further down in the bio to find that all of this apparently happened 1,000 years ago? It's a bit jarring...
I should fix this, though. x'D Damn, it's so hard to make a Character Bio. That's why I hate this so much, but yet, it's so important.

o3o I don't think the point was that Azreal was trying to show people that death isn't bad. Just that Harbingers aren't terrifying, despite their job.

I kept my mouth shut for most of your post because, yes, you are the ambassador and you do get to decide your own rules. But if you want my personal opinion, then I do think that some of your criticisms are a bit... irrelevant, I guess? And in some places I just sort of disagree with your reasoning.

I can elaborate on that if you want, but I wanted to avoid being a backseat-ambassador unless you were ok with me putting in my two cents.

But, uh... if your reasoning for being so strict is that you just want to use the Harbingers to further this specific plot thread, then, ehh... that I might have some issues with...

And I don't see why you can't be a bit more lenient with Shinku's character while still allowing your character's side-plot to play out the way you wanted.

o_o Well, uh, if the point of Azreal's character was that she's a Harbinger who's sympathetic towards her victims (and occasionally spares them for that reason), well, uh... I'm not sure how well that would translate over to a demon. It's kind of hard for a demon to not eat souls without literally killing themselves.
I'm so freaking glad you really understood my character. Thank you, thank you!

Ok, hold the phone. Maybe we don't need an entire rework after all:

Eh, if you want to point out those places, go ahead. I definitely got WAY into the specifics there and I see what you're saying. I still think the major points I brought up kinda do have a bearing on what exactly a Harbinger is?
Well, not the Harbingers as a race, only a few of them. Key and a few unidentified ones. To be completely honest, I hadn't expected that ANYONE would choose to make a Harbinger character so quickly, and I haven't had time to write for any yet like I mentioned.
I realize that now... of course, AFTER I'd hit "post" before. >_<
After some thinking, I guess it would make sense that Harbingers actually do end up developing different "moral compasses". I was worried for a bit that allowing something as drastic as Azrael's actions were might be too far outside the Harbingers' power limits, but with the updated bio I think we could make it work.

edit: I keep wanting to type "hamburger".

Yes, I'm discussing that via PM and I'm having a hard time trying to explain in simple words how my character.
I'm so freaking glad you really understood my character. Thank you, thank you!
^^" Glad I could help, I suppose.

I should fix this, though. x'D Damn, it's so hard to make a Character Bio. That's why I hate this so much, but yet, it's so important.
Well, uh... please, take your time on it. It almost sounds like you're rushing your CS just to get it over with, but... this is definitely something that you should take your time on so that you can sort it out with Eruantien. o_o"

Eh, if you want to point out those places, go ahead. I definitely got WAY into the specifics there and I see what you're saying. I still think the major points I brought up kinda do have a bearing on what exactly a Harbinger is?
Yeah, the major points, probably. To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention to color-coding... I just remember seeing a few places where I was like "ehhhh" but I didn't want to override your authority just because I personally disagreed with you.

I'll take a closer look at your post and address each thing individually in a moment, though.

Well, not the Harbingers as a race, only a few of them. Key and a few unidentified ones.
Well then, if you only need Key and those others for your plot idea to work, then, that should still leave plenty of room for creative freedom in regards to Harbingers that aren't closely connected to Key. :P

edit: I keep wanting to type "hamburger".
I still have to resist the urge to add an extra R every type I type it, since I'd been reading it as "Harbringer" for so long. >.>

Yeah, the major points, probably. To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention to color-coding... I just remember seeing a few places where I was like "ehhhh" but I didn't want to override your authority just because I personally disagreed with you.

I'll take a closer look at your post and address each thing individually in a moment, though.
If you want to. I think I might just negate almost all of it though. Turns out I forgot to leave room for creative development, in which case nearly all of those problems disappear.
Well then, if you only need Key and those others for your plot idea to work, then, that should still leave plenty of room for creative freedom in regards to Harbingers that aren't closely connected to Key. :P
Ayup.
I still have to resist the urge to add an extra R every type I type it, since I'd been reading it as "Harbringer" for so long. >.>
Pls.

If you want to. I think I might just negate almost all of it though. Turns out I forgot to leave room for creative development, in which case nearly all of those problems disappear.
Mmm. Well, I think I'll give a quick look at everything anyway -- just to give you a few more things to consider, perhaps?

• Thank You
Reactions: Eru
You don't know how many times I have to fix that on my CS xD. Now, every time I have to type "Harbinger", I check like 10 times to be sure is written correctly.

Mmm. Well, I think I'll give a quick look at everything anyway -- just to give you a few more things to consider, perhaps?
Right, and sorry for the whole clustertruck this has turned into. I argued for what appeared to be order and perfection but I only ended up creating chaos out of my own words...

*stares forlornly into hands*

whathaveIdone

@Eruantien

[minor] The actual age of the universe is reported to be only about 13.7 billion years old, which is why I made Key's age slightly larger. All Harbingers should be the same age. Is there a specific reason you have 15 billion here?
I didn't say anything when I saw the age on Shinku's CS because I wasn't sure how strict you wanted to be about the whole age-of-the-universe thing. And I guess there's room to argue that some beings might have existed for longer than the scientifically estimated age of the universe. But, I do think you're well within your rights as ambassador to request that they're all the same age if that's what you think should be the case.

[minor] In my own head, I'm not really sure what the point of a Harbinger's mundane form having "sex appeal" is. Is it to lessen the fear of death?
If a Harbinger can choose what they look like then I don't see why they can't just look like… whatever they want to. I don't think they need a functional purpose behind their looks.

Besides, some could argue that Key is rather conventionally attractive, even if you didn't specifically use the word "sexy" in your CS. What's the purpose of Key's sex appeal, then? :P

[MAJOR] She thinks it's a waste of time to be stressed? Surely, since there's a shockingly large number of suicides each year and potentially millions throughout history, a Harbinger would be able to say something other than "you should be happy with what you're given". Perhaps they could bring some wisdom into the equation, try and comfort the reaped.
This just seems like an irrelevant criticism of the personality…

[minor] Harbingers naturally have no form, but can choose any they are partial to. Is there a reason Azrael should get embarrassed over an incident like this? It's not as if her body is the one she's stuck with forever. This leads into my next point…
I'll be honest, this also didn't make a ton of sense to me when I read the CS. And it seemed kind of out-of-nowhere. o_O

BUT I didn't say anything because I just don't see it as my job to critique people's writing in that way.

Harbingers realistically should have no reason to feel basic emotions like embarrassment, lust, envy, etc. It's just not part of their nature. They're as old as the universe and have acquired a lot of practical knowledge and compassion over the ages. They don't have conflict in Valhalla; it's a place of rest. Perhaps I never made that quite clear in the original race sheet, but I'm clarifying it now.
Emotions are hard to write about, probably because I still don't completely understand them myself. Still, I think we can agree that feeling "joy" or "sadness" is different from feeling the so-called basic emotions I listed above. THESE are the feelings that I will allow a Harbinger to show, but nothing less focused.
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.

Firstly, if you say that Harbingers don't have emotions, then, that's your decision. And deciding whether or not they have emotions is an important lore thing that does need to be addressed.

BUT saying that they shouldn't have emotions just because they live for a long time is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Because… yeah, emotions are irrational, but you don't lose your emotions just from living and gaining practical experience. That's true among humans, as well. And although one could argue that we humans can become better at controlling our emotions as we age and mature, but that doesn't mean we stop feeling them.

Soooo if you don't want Harbingers to have emotions then that's all fine and good. But there's a difference between "Harbingers don't feel emotions, period" and "Harbingers don't feel emotions because of their 'practical knowledge'". The latter implies that they theoretically would feel emotions if not for this "practical knowledge", and I don't see how having that knowledge prevents them from feeling emotions anyway.

Secondly, I'm really confused by the dichotomy between embarrassment/lust/envy and joy/sadness. You described the former bunch as being "basic" emotions, but, I think the latter two are generally considered to be more basic than the former… And if you want to say that Harbingers don't feel specific emotions but they still feel other ones, then, that's fine too — but like… A) there's still the initial issue of "living for a long time and not having a reason to feel emotions doesn't stop emotions from happening", and B) you could pick a less-confusing way to explain which emotions Harbingers can have and which ones they can't…

[MAJOR] After reading this several times, I see where you're going here. She's trying to make death seem friendly... I would ask, any comment on why this could be a bad idea? "Hey, everyone, there's no reason to be afraid of dying! It's actually not that bad!"
Because it is intrinsically the end of one's life. No more adventures, no more personal growth, no more chances to have fulfilling experiences. And, such an attitude opens up the "easy way out".
I have numerous problems with this.

Firstly, as I already said — I don't think Shinku was trying to say that Azrael is trying to make death less frightening. Just that Azrael wants to make Harbingers less frightening, despite their job.

Secondly, I think it's a bit of a leap to say that telling people not to fear death would make people suicidal… First of all, the fear of death is a human instinct, so, I don't think there's much that even a Harbinger could do to make everyone so ok with death that they would actually want to die — but I think a Harbinger could at least ease the minds of people who are already dying, or just people who are excessively worried about death in general, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If anything, I think the only demographic that would be affected in the way that you're implying are people who are already suicidal. But even then… mehh….

And thirdly — even if Azrael's actions would encourage more people to commit suicide… so what? Why can't we have a character whose attempts at giving people a positive perspective on death might potentially push an already-suicidal person over the edge?

Like, need I remind you — I have a character who eats people.

Shinku could make a character who unambiguously encourages suicide and I'd be a-ok with that, because there's no reason to not allow that in a character. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[MAJOR] Yeeeahhh... I do hate to break it to you, but Harbingers don't really have that kind of power, "ripping off cancer". They can at times bend the rules, give final gifts, or make small exceptions or extensions on time, but control over life isn't part of their allotted powers. Sorry. They don't control fate, although they can twist it here and there. In the end, everybody has to reach their destiny.
You're well within your rights to say no to that, though. I had a feeling you wouldn't allow it, anyway.

I'm going to bypass the rest of this, since it doesn't apply anymore. I will say that a suspension of sorts might be a good idea, in the future, for Harbingers who don't reap. However, according to my own lore, there should be no reason this should ever happen, because there's no point to it. Harbingers understand the circumstances of one's death and respond to them appropriately.
I know this has mainly already been addressed, but — I see no reason why Harbingers can't have different personalities from one another.

[minor] Makes for good RP perhaps, but I'd think that an entity that's billions of years old would probably have everything under control by now.
I agree that Azrael not being able to control her powers doesn't make a ton of sense at her age, unless she has some sort of condition that's preventing her from using some of her powers correctly.

Like — no amount of experience will allow someone with chronic tremors to fully stop their hands from shaking, for example.

[MAJOR] Again, emotions. Why should a Harbinger take offense at words? They're a supernatural race, whose domain is death, and having dealt with death in so many fashions across so many years, they should be able to understand why certain people react the way they do, and help them come to terms with it.
I do agree that a Harbinger being so offended by negative comments about death is a bit weird — since I'm pretty sure most of the comments about death that they'd hear from their victims would be negative. And it seems strange to me that a Harbinger wouldn't be used to it by this point.

[MAJOR] A pact was made with a Harbinger? So, basically, the warrior's soul now lives on inside the scythe? I can't help but feel there's a deity or seven who wouldn't be completely happy with a Harbinger retaining someone who should have ended up in their domain, perhaps.
Eh. Depends on the deity.

And since we don't know of any specific deities who would go out of their way to do anything about it… I think it's doable.

If anything, I would've thought that the other Harbingers would be the ones to take issue with this sort of thing happening. And it would've been perfectly reasonable for you to say no to this for that reason, if that were the case…

Last edited:
Right, and sorry for the whole clustertruck this has turned into. I argued for what appeared to be order and perfection but I only ended up creating chaos out of my own words...

*stares forlornly into hands*

whathaveIdone
o.o Don't be too hard on yourself. I think this is a good learning experience. XD

I didn't say anything when I saw the age on Shinku's CS because I wasn't sure how strict you wanted to be about the whole age-of-the-universe thing. And I guess there's room to argue that some beings might have existed for longer than the scientifically estimated age of the universe. But, I do think you're well within your rights as ambassador to request that they're all the same age if that's what you think should be the case.
This has been agreed upon.
If a Harbinger can choose what they look like then I don't see why they can't just look like… whatever they want to. I don't think they need a functional purpose behind their looks.

Besides, some could argue that Key is rather conventionally attractive, even if you didn't specifically use the word "sexy" in your CS. What's the purpose of Key's sex appeal, then? :P
Okay, makes sense.
This just seems like an irrelevant criticism of the personality…
Originally I thought, "hey, all Harbingers should probably not treat these things lightly", but it actually is more of just a personality trait so I'm alright with it.
I'll be honest, this also didn't make a ton of sense to me when I read the CS. And it seemed kind of out-of-nowhere. o_O

BUT I didn't say anything because I just don't see it as my job to critique people's writing in that way.
That was more of the "emotions" segment, which I'm just going to drop completely. Different Harbingers can have different emotions, personalities, etc. I'll edit something referring to this into the race sheet. The whole "emotions" shebang has become hard to wrangle and define exactly what I tried to mean, so I'm going to drop it mostly altogether.
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.

Firstly, if you say that Harbingers don't have emotions, then, that's your decision. And deciding whether or not they have emotions is an important lore thing that does need to be addressed.

BUT saying that they shouldn't have emotions just because they live for a long time is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Because… yeah, emotions are irrational, but you don't lose your emotions just from living and gaining practical experience. That's true among humans, as well. And although one could argue that we humans can become better at controlling our emotions as we age and mature, but that doesn't mean we stop feeling them.

Soooo if you don't want Harbingers to have emotions then that's all fine and good. But there's a difference between "Harbingers don't feel emotions, period" and "Harbingers don't feel emotions because of their 'practical knowledge'". The latter implies that they theoretically would feel emotions if not for this "practical knowledge", and I don't see how having that knowledge prevents them from feeling emotions anyway.

Secondly, I'm really confused by the dichotomy between embarrassment/lust/envy and joy/sadness. You described the former bunch as being "basic" emotions, but, I think the latter two are generally considered to be more basic than the former… And if you want to say that Harbingers don't feel specific emotions but they still feel other ones, then, that's fine too — but like… A) there's still the initial issue of "living for a long time and not having a reason to feel emotions doesn't stop emotions from happening", and B) you could pick a less-confusing way to explain which emotions Harbingers can have and which ones they can't…
Yeah.... I'm just going to drop that concept altogether. See above. Although; "BUT saying that they shouldn't have emotions just because they live for a long time is the part that doesn't make sense to me;" that's not how I'd intended it to come across as. More like, they're less prone to being "wildly emotional", more like a deity might be who can control themselves. But again, dropping the concept.
I have numerous problems with this.

Firstly, as I already said — I don't think Shinku was trying to say that Azrael is trying to make death less frightening. Just that Azrael wants to make Harbingers less frightening, despite their job.

Secondly, I think it's a bit of a leap to say that telling people not to fear death would make people suicidal… First of all, the fear of death is a human instinct, so, I don't think there's much that even a Harbinger could do to make everyone so ok with death that they would actually want to die — but I think a Harbinger could at least ease the minds of people who are already dying, or just people who are excessively worried about death in general, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If anything, I think the only demographic that would be affected in the way that you're implying are people who are already suicidal. But even then… mehh….

And thirdly — even if Azrael's actions would encourage more people to commit suicide… so what? Why can't we have a character whose attempts at giving people a positive perspective on death might potentially push an already-suicidal person over the edge?

Like, need I remind you — I have a character who eats people.

Shinku could make a character who unambiguously encourages suicide and I'd be a-ok with that, because there's no reason to not allow that in a character. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Guess that's something I'm not entirely used to yet................................................................... O_o
But I see your point.
You're well within your rights to say no to that, though. I had a feeling you wouldn't allow it, anyway.
Yep, Shinku already changed the bio before I even posted the walloftext.
I know this has mainly already been addressed, but — I see no reason why Harbingers can't have different personalities from one another.
Ayup.
I agree that Azrael not being able to control her powers doesn't make a ton of sense at her age, unless she has some sort of condition that's preventing her from using some of her powers correctly.

Like — no amount of experience will allow someone with chronic tremors to fully stop their hands from shaking, for example.
Right; I didn't see anything mentioned about a condition so I'd have no reason to believe she can't control everything well enough.
I do agree that a Harbinger being so offended by negative comments about death is a bit weird — since I'm pretty sure most of the comments about death that they'd hear from their victims would be negative. And it seems strange to me that a Harbinger wouldn't be used to it by this point.
I'm not sure if the bio was changed in this respect or not yet.
Eh. Depends on the deity.

And since we don't know of any specific deities who would go out of their way to do anything about it… I think it's doable.

If anything, I would've thought that the other Harbingers would be the ones to take issue with this sort of thing happening. And it would've been perfectly reasonable for you to say no to this for that reason, if that were the case…
Yes, and I think the weapon has already been altered.
o.o Don't be too hard on yourself. I think this is a good learning experience. XD
o_o' thx

Right; I didn't see anything mentioned about a condition so I'd have no reason to believe she can't control everything well enough.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I didn't assume there was any sort of condition like that, either. But it came to mind while I was thinking everything over, so I figured I'd at least toss the idea out there. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.