Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooooly shit. Guys.

I was looking up some info just now for this one detail on the race sheet I'm working on, and...

Did you know

that platypuses

have ten sex chromosomes???

Most other mammals -- including humans -- have two, X and Y, creating combinations of XY for males and XX for females. That's simple. That's all you need.

But platypuses?? Nah, they need ten of those. And like... it's not like it creates more complex combinations of X's and Y's in order to form a whole bunch of other sexes in addition to male and female. No no -- male platypuses are XYXYXYXYXY, and females are XXXXXXXXXX. There are no other combinations (well, except for chromosomal disorders, I suppose).

What are all of those extra chromosomes doing there?? What is the point???

Hooooly shit. Guys.

I was looking up some info just now for this one detail on the race sheet I'm working on, and...

Did you know

that platypuses

Most other mammals -- including humans -- have two, X and Y, creating combinations of XY for males and XX for females. That's simple. That's all you need.

But platypuses?? Nah, they need ten of those. And like... it's not like it creates more complex combinations of X's and Y's in order to form a whole bunch of other sexes in addition to male and female. No no -- male platypuses are XYXYXYXYXY, and females are XXXXXXXXXX. There are no other combinations (well, except for chromosomal disorders, I suppose).

Not sure what more strange to me; the biological weirdness or the fact that you were planning a deity race sheet and came back with info on platypuses. All hail the platypus overlords?

Hooooly shit. Guys.

Did you know

that platypuses

I'd say, "What's the point of creating a critter that looks like a duck and an otter (and who knows what else) had an intimate night of passion together." I mean, come on! When the platypus was first revealed to the world, it was thought to be a hoax. It was just that improbable.

Not sure what more strange to me; the biological weirdness or the fact that you were planning a deity race sheet and came back with info on platypuses. All hail the platypus overlords?
I was trying to explain how intelligent design can exist at the same time as evolution. Like, these organisms evolved into existence but they were still planned ahead of time and took a lot of seemingly-random (but actually carefully guided) genetic mutations to get there. I was going to use the platypus as an example -- because it's a weird creature that looks like it was brought into existence just for the lolz.

I then wanted to make sure that the platypus actually did evolve in some weird way as opposed to something that would actually make a surprising amount of sense.

I then came across the thing about the sex chromosomes -- and, well, I think that just proves my point even further.

Especially since some of those sex chromosomes contain genetic information that was previously thought to only exist in birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish.

I'd say, "What's the point of creating a critter that looks like a duck and an otter (and who knows what else) had an intimate night of passion together." I mean, come on! When the platypus was first revealed to the world, it was thought to be a hoax. It was just that improbable.
Well yes, and that's what I started with. Which then led me into even more interesting places. XD

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Hooooly shit. Guys.

Did you know

that platypuses

By all rights platypus should not exist. It's an absurdity of nature that makes 0 sense. They can sense electrical signals with their beak!

i missed so may things XD like i got back on and i was 3 or 4 pages behind on here XD

By all rights platypus should not exist. It's an absurdity of nature that makes 0 sense. They can sense electrical signals with their beak!
Technically I can sense electrical signals with any part of my body, once it's electrocuted :P

• Useful
Reactions: AnimeLover_Princess
Technically I can sense electrical signals with any part of my body, once it's electrocuted :P
1031b65c7ce6e36e99063c5d54b07a77926815f3

Guys, I don't think you understand the greatest part of the platypus.
THIS-

[spoili]
platypus8.jpg
[/spoili]

...This is 99% squish, similar to THIS-

[spoili]
seal-pup-watches-you-upside-down-big.jpg
[/spoili]
or THIS-

[spoili]
1307otter1301302.jpg
[/spoili]
Coincidence? I think not :D

Give the poor babies a break :P
there are more absurd things...
behold...
[spoili][/spoili]

That's not absurd... that's just plain ugly.

Oh, @-'ToxicGhostie'- sorry, I forgot to update your race onto the accepted list. Should be up there now.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
I think I've seen that picture before, can't remember where. Is that axolotl or something else?
It's a blobfish, but "Axolotl" comes up at the bottom of the little wiki thing that comes up when you google it under "People also searched for"

Can I say that I love platypuses! They are the weirdest amalgamation of things in the best way.

*sad music plays*

Status
Not open for further replies.