• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mollisol

Subterranean Rose
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. Multiple posts per week
  6. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
6 - 10 PM, Eastern Standard Time
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Magical girl, action, science fiction
Last edited:
Reactions: Blighted_Agent
Holidays (and holiday-related overtime at work) are over for me as well; I will post after Wolfsbane.

Reactions: Wolfsbane706
So, question: how difficult would it be for Yuzu to make a new, temporary avatar?

Reactions: Mollisol
So, question: how difficult would it be for Yuzu to make a new, temporary avatar?

Like a disguise for her old one, or a completely new avatar attached to a new account?

Either or.
Disguise - super easy; she can change her virtual appearance without even using datamancy. If she pretended to have a new identity, the only people who'd know it was the same person are Eri, the Shadows, and her closest confidants that she's given moderation privileges to.

New account - HARP (Henzai Accordance Roleplay) and any other legal VR associates accounts with unique patterns of neural information processed during VR play, so it's impossible to create new accounts there without somehow altering your mind. Umbra, on the other hand, functions similarly to web sites today, associating accounts with the meat world locations people access the network from. All Yuzu would need to do is sign out and create a new account away from her usual spot (a high-end arcade with connections to illegal VR networks). Also, Yuzu's ban has expired, so it's debatable whether she'd need to make a new account.

None of these options involve datamancy - customizing one's avatar is easy for anyone in Umbra (you'd have to pay for different items and options in HARP), and new accounts are outside the purview of datamancy and more for "normal" internet technology.

• Useful
Reactions: Wolfsbane706
Disguise - super easy; she can change her virtual appearance without even using datamancy. If she pretended to have a new identity, the only people who'd know it was the same person are Eri, the Shadows, and her closest confidants that she's given moderation privileges to.

New account - HARP (Henzai Accordance Roleplay) and any other legal VR associates accounts with unique patterns of neural information processed during VR play, so it's impossible to create new accounts there without somehow altering your mind. Umbra, on the other hand, functions similarly to web sites today, associating accounts with the meat world locations people access the network from. All Yuzu would need to do is sign out and create a new account away from her usual spot (a high-end arcade with connections to illegal VR networks). Also, Yuzu's ban has expired, so it's debatable whether she'd need to make a new account.

None of these options involve datamancy - customizing one's avatar is easy for anyone in Umbra (you'd have to pay for different items and options in HARP), and new accounts are outside the purview of datamancy and more for "normal" internet technology.
Thanks. I'll figure something out from this.

It's fine! I might take a day or two, because I'm feeling sick and gross >~<

I feel like I am running out of inspiration for this RP >~< like, I had this idea of how I wanted it to go initially, but I somehow got us into a clue trail for Gold Shadow where there's no room for y'all to do anything except collect information. And it's gotten worse after the holidays, because I've lost momentum. I'm sorry.

I'm not about to up and quit on the RP, because that's not fair to you guys, who have honestly been super dedicated and a joy to play with. But I'm not sure where to go at this point. My first instinct is to chase this plot thread with Gold as quickly as possible so things can explode and we can react to them, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that in an interesting way (clue trail), or whether I should even follow that instinct.

I feel like I am running out of inspiration for this RP >~< like, I had this idea of how I wanted it to go initially, but I somehow got us into a clue trail for Gold Shadow where there's no room for y'all to do anything except collect information. And it's gotten worse after the holidays, because I've lost momentum. I'm sorry.

I'm not about to up and quit on the RP, because that's not fair to you guys, who have honestly been super dedicated and a joy to play with. But I'm not sure where to go at this point. My first instinct is to chase this plot thread with Gold as quickly as possible so things can explode and we can react to them, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that in an interesting way (clue trail), or whether I should even follow that instinct.
Recruitment drive!

Even if you don't want to quit, if you need a break to focus on other things and find some ideas/inspiration, we can presumably go on hiatus for a bit.

I understand the pressure and difficulty. If you choose to follow your instinct, even if the process isn't very good, the end result likely will be. Not all segments of all RPs are of the same quality.

Thank you, both of you.

I think fresh blood is generally good for RPs losing momentum, but I also worry that won't solve the root problem I have of giving us a clue trail rather than a plot. So I'm going to take a momentary hiatus (I'll be back next Monday with my thoughts and ideas) until I figure out a better direction for this RP.

• Love
Thank you, both of you.

I think fresh blood is generally good for RPs losing momentum, but I also worry that won't solve the root problem I have of giving us a clue trail rather than a plot. So I'm going to take a momentary hiatus (I'll be back next Monday with my thoughts and ideas) until I figure out a better direction for this RP.
Wishing you luck!

• Thank You
Thank you, both of you.

A good decision. Godspeed.

• Thank You
Hiatus update:

I read and reread some info on GMing and designing RPs, as well as my own RPG books, as those tend to influence how I am as a GM. I think my main problem is that I have set scenes that I want to go to but I'm winging it on how to get there, which led to me making a clue trail, which led to the characters locked into collecting information and me having to write a lot of stuff that needed to be prepped. So, what I think we need is:

• To figure out how much plot and lore responsibility everyone has. I think I was unclear initially about how much people can and can't make up during the IC, which led to some people making lots of new lore ideas and others making very little, which isn't really anyone's fault. I also don't think it'd be okay if I shouldered 100% of the plot responsibility, since that's basically y'all running on a rail and a lot of work for me.
  • For me to create a plot (it might more accurately be called a situation?) that we can all work with. Something I noticed about running this is that as a magical girl plot, it's important for the girls to juggle their "normal" and magical lives, but the way I thought of for this was information-gathering rather than actual plot. So I am going to bring up some more specific ideas about this and discuss them sometime this week.

Anyway, here's my suggestion on how we go about dividing plot/lore responsibility and creating a plot:

The GMing style (division of responsibilities) I'm most inclined towards is that the GM is basically a "player" that controls setting elements and NPCs that conflict with the main characters, and I react to the player characters' proactive decisions. As GM, I also pitched you guys the setting of Henzai no Kuni, and the idea of being "normal" girls involved in protecting an underground network. I think that in order for me to do my 3rd proper GM duty, spewing forth problems on the spot and facilitating the conflict that's the meat of an RP, I need to create a more detailed situation to spew forth problems from. I would like to involve y'all in this to make sure we're all excited about that situation.

If y'all are on board with the above paragraph, something I could do to help with situation creation is lift the idea of "kickers" from a game I like. (I'm lifting this from a TRPG, but I don't want to lift the entire TRPG. I very much want this to stay a freeform RP, or as close to it as possible.) Kickers are mini-situations that are in your Shadow's life, fitting into the larger contexts of Umbra vs Henzai + dystopian futuristic Japan. These drive each Shadow into interesting situations, by making her act, possibly using magical girl powers/gear. They tend to go in this sort of format:

"This is happening in your life right now and requiring your reaction. How will you use your Shadow stuff to influence it?"​

Optimally, that question has multiple interesting paths your character can go down. We would create and agree on a kicker for each Shadow together. I don't think this necessitates hard-restarting the RP; in fact, it's likely that we could involve current elements like Eri, Yuzu, and the Canada donut issue.

Anyway, this keeps you from having to wait on my characters to give yours directions in order to get into conflicts, and keeps me from having to do demanding amounts of plot prep. Creating kickers as detailed ways to make fountains of problems also makes it less likely that the RP will stagnate again, because it keeps characters in motion.

What are y'all's thoughts on this?

@Wolfsbane706 @Blighted_Agent @Boo Girlie BoomBoom @daird

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.