Status
Not open for further replies.
What if part of handing down the diamond was the characters sacrificing themselves to maintain its power? Just an idea that popped into my brain.
Hmm that's pretty interesting o.o

And with that, Night :3

What if part of handing down the diamond was the characters sacrificing themselves to maintain its power?
That came across my mind, too, but remember, Espers are ageless. It would be possible for an Esper to carry the same diamond forever unless you expect them to willing give their soul before their time of death, and I'm honestly not ok with this. Self sacrifice is a great theme but it's probably the oldest theme ever (Horus).

Oh, for the record the population of Rothendust is roughly 3200 people living within the walls. By todays standards that's hardly a town, but we also don't live in a world where migration is the deadliest thing you can do. In fact, all this considered, 3200 people is a LOT for a city that's 45 years old in a world such as this

The underground tunnel system is both man made and nature made, the underground caves were the result of underground water systems that have since dried up. The people who expanded the tunnels linked other tunnels and have made an underground network. Civilians are not permitted to use this for multiple reasons, the main 2 of which are that that tunnels are primarily used to navigate the guard without slowing them down by making them go around people and buildings and the fact that these ugly critters dwell below. They are no larger than a German Sheppard and don't travel in groups, typically the feed on rats and not people, almost never leaving the tunnels. When people do go down there, they don't usually attack unless cornered. They have no eyes but a truly impressive sense of smell and hearing. They aren't much of a fight to anyone that knows how to use a weapon.

Behold, Roths mighty steed!

The monsters that typically roam outside the city walls: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Monsters you don't want to fight alone: 1 | 2 | 3
The kind of monster you might call on Roth for: 1 | 2
Things that don't attack Rothendust because the people are too small to truly sustain their diet: 1 | 2

Those last two are very likely to not even be used. Of course there are other monsters than these 11 types, but it gives a general idea of what might exist. Note how few humanoids there are and none have armor other than their organic armors, this is the main idea. They are not intelligent creatures, they are not evil or good, they are just vicious. Hopefully they get the image across that the people are not safe, not even inside the city walls, as if Roth is gone these are the critters that are free to enter the city limits.

Last edited:
Some of them are kind of cute. Just saying.

Good, that was the point! They may be monsters, but they only attack to sustain themselves. They take humans off the top of the food chain, that's all. The ferocious battle against nature.

Intewesting :o

So I'm guessing that these monsters are not the kinds of critters Kela can communicate with lol.

Nope. Roths steed is technically a monster but he controls it by "if you don't obey I shock you with electricity, burn you with fire, or just beat the shit out of you". Kind of like how they controlled the dragon in Harry Potter Deathly Hollows.

And just so people know, I'll be posting more and more information about the world that I had known and planned out before I even posted this thread, but people have been taking quite a few creative freedoms that have already had enormous implications about how the world works, I don't want the world I created to evolve into something it was never meant to be. I even got a hold of a world map before I posted the sign ups, I've got a little expandable bestiary that includes more than the above linked.

I even made a group of nomadic espers (the ones that created Var) and have NPC bios for all of them. The implications that come with the changes already made have changed the world and how it works well enough. Example, the diamonds were never meant to have been created, they were given by the souls that inhabited them. The one soul per diamond. But now we have this multiple soul containing diamond that was once a full philosopher stone that had been crafted long ago, meaning at one point someone had the power to create such a stone, which would essentially make this a legendary being even if it were a Kindred. If it were a Kindred, this person couldn't have lived long, but also it means that the scaling of power has inadvertently gone up. It's like if us humans found a way to make something have a higher gravity pull, it would change everything we knew about physics.

Sp please, people, if you want to change something I will allow it but please please run it by me first. I have created this world and I don't mind changing it, but if you want to add lore to something that I haven't specified then just ask, it's why they "ask a question get an answer" is a rule. I even had pre-made lore as to how the Espers ever came to be. After all, one had to be created at some point.

Reactions: Naberius
Okeedokee!

Ooh, question. I can't remember if it had been asked before. Are there any hm mythological creatures or just the monsters?

There can be. If someone provides a decent description I can add them to the lore. Like I said, I don't mind changing or adding anything, but I would like to be able to make it fit in the world, some stuff makes sense. Example, there may be monsters, but there are no magical flying sea krakens that are immortal zombies who breathe fire.

Okeedokes got it :3 Nah, I don't have anything in mind to be honest. I just remembered that original Kela could also communicate with creatures like dragons, griffins, basically mythical beasts with some sense.

Dragons exist but are rare. If you recall, Dragoons descended from them, but the world is even dangerous to them. I don't plan on any dragons being seen, though.

Is there an actual history about how monsters appeared? Humans probably came before monsters, so why are there monsters that prey on humans now?

Okay. The kind of dragon you described however doesn't seem like the kind Kela would be able to communicate with. In my previous rp her 'abiliy' was put to the test lol by trying to tame a rather pissed off dog and needless to say she got attacked all three times. She did manage to communicate with a griffon though.

Hmm ... *a slight idea cometh*

Is there an actual history about how monsters appeared? Humans probably came before monsters, so why are there monsters that prey on humans now?
tl;dr They evolved in parallel with humans, growing new breeds that fed on even themselves as the humans got stronger.

Evolution is how things happened in this world. The monsters are natural steps in evolution just like people, the two evolved in parallel with one another. Humans fighting to survive, monsters getting stronger and mightier to take down human defenses. Eventually monsters that fed on other monsters evolved because humans were becoming harder and harder to kill. The Humans and Kindred that grew to have an alliance made even nocturnal monsters need to find new prey. Slowly, over many years, the monsters evolved to be vicious towards all living things in order to survive. Fortunate for monsters, and possibly to future plot points, the monsters have a higher chance of birthing young that have mutations which is why their variety is so great but all share the same common ancestor, the original ravenous beast. In the modern day this original monster does not exist and it existed in a time before documentation.

Some of them are kind of cute. Just saying.
I'm trying to figure out which one you found cute. They all look pretty horrendous XD

Well except the first 3rd one :P

As nobody has mentioned anything about out diamonds in a while, I'm invoking the [GMs word is law] rule here and making a final call on the diamonds to prevent further confusion that may or may not occur from the information given. If you do want something changed, talk to me about it and I'll edit it into this post as I will be providing an additional information on the first post to make it easier to access information that we have decided without cluttering the first post too much or making people sift through the entire conversation to understand what's going on.

The diamonds are fragments of a philosopher stone, each containing 49 standard souls and 1 core soul for a total of 50 souls. The power in the diamonds does not deplete but the availability of this power does. By using the diamonds power the strength of the 49 souls decreases and must be replenished with the life force of other beings, the life force of monsters will suffice but need a higher quantity. As the power of the 49 standard souls deplete the power of the diamond however does not, instead the ability to draw power from the diamond decreases. Even if every soul has been exhausted the core soul will remain intact and in full power. In order to replenish the life force within the diamond whoever carries the stone must slay a foe.

It is unclear how many diamonds there are, but it is quite clear that each core soul can be accessed in a variety of ways, while they do grant power it is also possible for abilities to come from the diamonds. The colors show no real significance, instead the color of each diamond directly relates to the personality of the core soul. It is unclear but a suspected reason for this is nothing more complex than it being the core souls favorite color. This does, however, mean that each core soul has its own set of unique abilities and therefor each diamond is unique, though none seem to be greater than the other when used to their maximum potential.

The figure giving the diamonds out has very little known about it. What is known is that it is not entirely a physical being, rather a medium crafted from shadows that is used to bring the stones from the immaterial plane into the material plane. Because of this the diamonds can only be received if they are given by the shadow medium that keeps them safe, but one can acquire a materialized diamond from someone that already wields one as nothing can send them back to the immaterial plane.

Because these diamonds are fragments of the philosophers stone they cannot be broken into smaller pieces. As fragments they could theoretically be used to craft one much more powerful completed philosopher stone. Doing so would prove to be very difficult but should technically be possible. It takes roughly 1000 souls to craft a full philosopher stone, enough souls to fill most large scale settlements in the world and 1/3 the population of Rothendust, the largest known civilization in the world. (original concept costed roughly 20,000 souls, which would be 6.25x the population of Rothendust, a number too high to fit in this world)

Of note, Roth does not have a diamond, but the characters assume he does due to his level of power, but Roths power comes from somewhere else. Our lord has secrets.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Greenie
Hm, that does make things a whole lot simpler to understand. Thanks!

I decided to make a fair compromise. A lot of people thought it was a good touch to have the diamonds power slowly drain but I do need that core soul for key plot points later on, so I sucked it up and thought up a way power could still deplete while containing a core soul that gave most of the power but having standard souls act as a conduit that slowly decayed with use. I think that's fair, but should anyone object it can still be changed.

Now, should I write out the legends? Such as how the first Esper came to be, the religion of the elves, etc etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.