6tiTVHp.png

"'Adorkable?' What is this new debasement to the common tongue?" Estefania replied with a sigh, although she acknowledged Vivi's… achievement. While the carbuncle left to borrow an object from the various stalls in the Hall, the Condesa stayed put. She had no intention of taking up the Magemother's offer, gracious as it was. She wasn't going into a fight with borrowed equipment; her highborn dignity wouldn't quite survive the ordeal. And so Estefania stubbornly remained, chin held out in defiance, until the Magemother once again cast her deep and powerful magicks to alter reality itself…

bdb1203e6c0e1568fef8fafc94bbe78d.jpg

The group landed roughly. Estefania fell on her rear, sharp stone and damp earth attacking her exposed skin. "Oof!" she exclaimed, clearly annoyed, but rose to her feet without further complaint. The noblewoman dusted her skirts off and glanced at their surroundings.

They were in a forest. The Magemother's spell had sent them to the side of a shallow creek, which probably flowed back to the great river Aesyth was built near. The place was still, and quiet, save for the whisper of the wind intermittently ruffling leaves and the underbrush. She could see no other objects of importance—every plant looked the same to her. Estefania felt no specific joy at being removed from civilization; in fact, it unnerved her. She was not accustomed to nature, and her skin was starting to grow hot—from insects? Or the strange, oppressive air of the wilderness? "These sorts of places are cursed," she muttered under her breath, before something caught her eye.

"A broken fence. Look. And perhaps that path leads to the mine? Gold panning... Hm. This does certainly seem like the creek which the doomed enterprise used for their first business," Estefania pointed at their immediate north, then gestured at the body of water they had almost landed on. Above them, the light of day grew ever scarce.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fox of Hearts
gRvqmUM.png

Well, the history of the ill-fated mining company was certainly…interesting, to say the least, and the Magemother's magical prowess in constructing a map out of thin air was pretty brilliant as well…but really, it definitely would have been more helpful if she had given them all solid maps to work with as well. There was no way that he'd be able to remember the entire map with just a glance, after all, and with no writing implements on hand, Jagred had the feeling that getting lost was a definite concern.

But he had been a Lidaran warrior, and he was finally armored up and ready for combat. Every moment spent dawdling for more information was time that the group of dastardly ragamuffins could be using to escape, and he was used to playing things by ear anyways. So there was no concern in the end. He'll complete the task at hand and maybe, just maybe, FINALLY get to eat a proper lunch. Nodding at Lawrence, who looked apprehensive about dealing with criminals with highly destructive powers, Jagred turned and…

…landed in a completely different world. Cushioning his sudden fall by bending his knees, the savage performed a three-point landing while the sword-wielding Condesa fell on her butt unceremoniously. Quirking a brow at her apparent lack of balance, Jagred turned his attention to the immediate surroundings as she did, red eyes bouncing from one detail to another. Ah, the wonderfully tame forests of Aesyth, devoid of deadly predators and fiercely territorial herds of beasts. Comfortably silent and safe, if not for the criminals who lurked about nearby.

"One direction is better than none," Jagred replied, beginning to walk north, "I doubt there would be any tracks to follow if our enemy is as skilled as they appeared to be. Firecracker, don't suppose you can use fire productively as well? As a lantern or so?"

Jg60U4v.png

Anais broke into a huge grin as she eyed the map above them. They were heading underground to capture bad guys. She felt like a proper adventurer from some fairy tale. The past few days had been a blur, and ever since the craziness at the bazaar and the confrontation with the strange sickness, things had only continued to escalate.

The Red Plague, kidnappings, explosions!

There was a lingering sense of dread in the pit of the girl's stomach, but never in her eighteen years had she felt so alive. She liked to imagine her parents going on similar adventures. Her uncle had never really given her the specifics, but they were the heroes of Ivalon! It was a weighty title, and while her parents weren't exactly famous, they were respected by the people from her hometown. Often, when people brought up her parents it was always followed by one thing.

'Such a shame their girl is nothing like them.'

Unconsciously, she clenched her hands into fists. Today, she was going to be courageous and useful. She was going to be just like them! And if she ever found them, Anais would tell them about this day.

By the time she'd snapped out of her thoughts, the Magemother had finished her spiel. They were transported somewhere else and she nearly faceplanted into the ground. Anais pinwheeled her arms rapidly, and caught her balance at the very last moment. They were in a forest now beside a creek. It was isolated and quiet.

"Cursed? You mean, spirits or something?" She looked to Fannie then the fence the girl was pointing out. Sassy Boar Man was talking too. Wait, was she Firecracker? And what did he mean by productive? Was he implying that everything else she did wasn't? Her eyes narrowed, as she stuck out her hand. Focusing on the bracelet around her wrist, Anais created a small flame. It hovered above her open hand, small enough to fit in her palm but bright enough to cast a soft orange glow.

"Easy peasy! One lantern coming right up!"

She turned to face the rest of the group. "Let's head down the path then. The Magemother did say we didn't have the luxury of time." She didn't remember the map, but as Sassy Boar Man said, one direction is better than none. She motioned for the others to follow as she made her way past the fence and down the path.

The small flame in her palm helped light the way.

W04DJyB.png
Maps, letters and words made no sense to Vi. She didn't have much contact with them before leaving Florencia Island. Her community relied mostly on intuition and oral directions. Everyone else seemed to be listening attentively, so the carbuncle tried her best to follow. Not that she got a lot out of the briefing. There were so many foreign words that she felt like she was listening to a new language. 'Mine', 'gold panning' .... 'company'....?

She decided not to worry about it. Surely, between Miss Estefania, Sir Hero and Miss ... Seaweed, they'd be able to find their way around. She was confident in their abilities. Everyone seemed so clever. Well, Miss Seaweed too, probably. Vi hadn't seen much of Anais' abilities, but she was willing to give the human the benefit of the doubt.

"Is ... this what they call a mine?" Vi asked.

'Mine' meant showing that something belonged to oneself. At least, it always had to her. This place didn't look like it belonged to anyone. It might have once considering that there was a broken down fence. She couldn't quite see the creek from where she landed behind Jagred, but she could hear it. She was tempted to go check it out. "Could we....? Oh yes, the path. We should go there. Sir Hero, Miss Estefania, you two are right."

Sir Hero and Miss Estefania raised a valid point. They should try and find those 'adorkable' humans soon. Master Corrin was probably missing his mother. That was more important than checking out the creek. She swam quickly to Estefania's side.

"Can humans see in the dark?" she asked curiously, realizing that the light was dying slowly. Vi didn't mind the darkness much. She still make out dim outlines and spot movement which was enough to keep her safe. "I met a Magical with eyes that glowed in the dark. He said it was no different than the day. He could see everything clearly."

She didn't need to wait long for an answer. There was a faint tug of magic coming from the group. Turning around, she saw a baby flame appear in the palm of Anais' hand. Vi blinked in amazement before flitting over to the mage's side. "You can make fire," she exclaimed excitedly. "Can you make a bigger one?"

As they made their way up the path, Vi continued swimming by Anais' side and stared at the flames adoringly. This had to be one of her favorite magics after water. Anything was better than the booming magic the white haired man made. That one was scary, loud and dangerous. People had gotten hurt too. People like that strange Man Magical. She couldn't help wondering if Bryte was okay.

Seeing that her mind was straying away, Vi decided to bring her other two companions into the conversation too."I never seen someone make flames before. I think it's a wonderful gift! Fire is what we used to cook and keep animals out of the village. It also keeps us warm on rainy days. Don't you think it's great, Miss Estefania? Sir Hero?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fox of Spades
6tiTVHp.png

"If one can control it. Like all magic, it is dangerous. Forget this and you risk getting burned," Estefania said, voice crisp, in response to Vivi's praise of the wayward pyromancer. Her eyes were busy flitting from her feet to the immediate path ahead. "And we Gualtierrans stay away from the wilds. Old superstitions. They say old magic is strong here, whatever that may mean." Of course, that wasn't all of the truth. Lida may have its beasts, but they were simply that. Gualtierrez had stronger things, ancient things, lurking in the shadows. Perhaps even worse is they've managed to reclaim some of their territories with the fall of the great Empire. The Black Isles… The ruins of Carmencita's Stand… Maybe even more. The monarchy was tight-lipped about every loss, because it chipped away what little control they had left. She was relieved they had some light with them, even if it was from a mage.

"Yea, I mean, Red over here did caused a fire… Or that's what ol' Oswald said, sumfink about a mandrake—ow!" One of the guards, a freshly-shaven youth who looked to be in his early twenties, piped up from the sidelines and immediately got smacked by one of his squad mates. The other four looked quite ashamed of their friend, though they were noticeably keeping their distance from Anais. "Right, uh. Don't mind us. We're just here to offer help and additional commentary," another, a taller figure with most of its face covered by a metal helmet, said, adding, "maybe even hit something if we're lucky."

"Honestly, I was kind of hoping the Magemother would call up one of the Arcane Council for this…" A third sentry spoke up, his tone more hushed. "Guess they're still busy studying those… things."

"Hmph. The boy will be rescued. House Villanueva never breaks its word," the noblewoman huffed as they trudged upwards a winding route. She inhaled deeply to catch her breath when the incline lessened. "And Stone-of-Heart probably won't, either. One won't get such a name if one were a flimsy individual."

5730a019222da83b63926ec439349b26--devian-art-fantasy-places.jpg

They didn't have to walk far—within fifteen minutes, the trees thinned and the ground slowly changed from earth to rocky soil. The group finally spotted the mine entrance. It was nestled at the bottom of a small hill, at the end of an overgrown clearing littered with old mining supplies. An abandoned cart, held fast by thorny brambles, was the lone object atop the curled, rusting rails leading deeper into the bowels of the abandoned structure. The confluence of magical energy persisted, and it was certainly coming from deep within the mines.

They stopped just at the mouth of the entrance, the guards fanning out.

Estefania turned to the others. She distractedly brushed her hair off of her shoulder and brought her fingers together, as if connecting dots only she could see. While the others may have trouble with recalling the Magemother's illusion, she was used to committing such things to memory. Memorization was her forte, after all, and the map was thankfully lacking in superfluous detail. "I am sure that all of the paths lead to the center, so we have not to worry about running in circles. However, there are three paths!" Estefania raised her hand, three fingers forming a pronged E shape. She frowned, a crease appearing on her brow. "I am worried the scoundrels might give us the slip if we all travel down the one."

rW4Pkh0.jpg

FPC Mines Map

Last edited:
upload_2017-8-26_3-41-57-png.144216
The pirate woman had been quiet for the most time. She too, wanted to join with the others. To get to the bottom of this entire ordeal. Her hand grasped her rifle every so tightly. Listening to the Magemother, they were eventually transferred over to another location. Someplace that did not resemble Aesyth as much, or at least not the lively part of it.

Staying with the rest, they eventually stopped by an entrance. A cave, or rather a mine was before them, and apparently, the source of magic the Magemother had tracked was coming from inside. She was really cool in her eyes. Faora did wonder what else she could do.

Sticking close to the one friend she had a good connection with, she spoke up. "So what do we do?.. We split!?" A rhetorical question, but the white haired woman, Estefania was likely coming to the same conclusion.

"Then Anais and I will take that path. Anyone else is free to join. Like the Carbuncle." Her green eyes lit up, a bright smile plastered on her face. Some time with her and Anais wouldn't be so bad, and they should be able to handle themselves.

"Could use a few of the guards as well?" Looking at others who joined them, she turned her attention towards Anais.

"We should head in!" Some of the guards followed, since they decided to take the far right path leading in to the mine.

@Fox of Spades @Fox of Hearts @Warden

gRvqmUM.png

"I'm sure the risk of being burnt is significantly decreased if the Other is attuned with the Primordial Lifegiver," Jagred replied, "Though yes, as beautiful and useful as it may be, fire is first and foremost a destructive element, the Great Devourer that consumes the foolhardy and forges the courageous. The truest duality amongst the World Making Elements."

There was a pause there, before the red haired Shieldbearer smiled at the carbuncle. "And there's no need to address me as a Hero, Revered Other. I am Jagred Stone-of-Heart, one that has not yet earned the name of 'Sir Hero'."

It was a little heartwarming, of course, but an undeserved title was as much a shackle as a too-great ego. The smile disappeared, replaced by a much more grave expression as they arrived at the entrance of the mine, in which three paths diverged. Five guards, five adventurers, totalling to ten. Three routes. Three known foes. An uneven split of four, three, three.

He narrowed his eyes, concern clear as he considered the odds. Two alone was troublesome enough that a detachment of guards and the combined efforts of all the adventurers were only enough to cause them to retreat. Within enclosed spaces, the explosive impact of that white haired youth's magic would be doubled in effectiveness, while the presence of the shadow mage, capable of teleporting his allies, was even more dangerous.

But there was truth in the rapier-wielding Condesa's words, and the others were willing to take on such a challenge as well. So ultimately…

"I shall take the center," he spoke, removing the great shield from his back, steeling his resolve, "May we find success at the end of this path, friends."

With those blessings, he strode off, not waiting for any others to follow. If he could cover one path by himself, it simply meant that the other sides would benefit more from safety in numbers, no?

W04DJyB.png
"That is so true and beautiful ... Sir um Jagred." Vi smiled. "You don't need to call me Reverend Other, sir. I'm not old enough to be an Elder in my community. Some even consider me no older than a child at 136."

She had been taken aback by Jagred's height originally, but now she viewed him differently. He was as wise as he was courageous. No matter what he said about not deserving the title of 'Sir Hero', she believed otherwise. He shared many traits with the heroes of old. That alone deserved some respect even though he hadn't realized his full potential yet.

The rabbit listened in silence, as Estefania proposed that they split up. Faora was first to act on that suggestion. The green-eyed pirate wanted to form a team with seaweed head. Jagred, the truly fearless man that he was, headed down the middle tunnel without waiting for anyone. Vi blinked, watching the darkness swallow him. Faora was about to leave with Anais when the carbuncle decided to speak up. The others seemed to have overlooked one problem. A glaringly obvious one from Vi's perspective.

"Um ... it's very dark inside," she exclaimed. "Don't you think ... um ... we need to split the flame?" She waved her hands around frantically while she struggled to find the right words. "You know ... fire burns the wood. We could use those there ..."

She pointed to the burnt out wooden torches in rusting brackets on the side of the walls. "Those there," she repeated. "We share the flame, so everyone can see. You know ... make antorchas?"

She got a few puzzled stares which made her feel more self-conscious. Antorcha. Lama. Those were the words in Gualtierran and Florencian respectively yet she didn't know the word in Common Tongue. Vi looked pleadingly at Estefania as she wasn't aware that there was another Gualtierran in the group. "Miss Estefania, I wanted them to make ... you know, antorcha? I don't know the word in Common Tongue."

It didn't take long for everyone to realized what the carbuncle wanted. Soon there were enough lit torches to go round. The two soldiers following Estefania held a torch each. Two torch bearing soldiers scrambled quickly down the middle tunnel after Jagred. Vi couldn't even hear the man's footsteps anymore, so she prayed that the soldiers would be able to find him. She was afraid he'd trip and hurt himself if he continued walking in the dark.

Jagred wasn't the only one she fretted over. A certain Gualtierran noblewoman remained in the carbuncle's thoughts. She didn't want to see her first friend hurt either. Yet, as a mere mortal, Vi couldn't stop them from getting hurt. All she could do was heal their wounds and hope for the best. Their fate was in the hands of the great Goddess, Lidagat. As Estefania's footsteps began fading away, Vi bowed her head quickly and uttered a silent prayer to Florencia's patron goddess. It wasn't much but she felt better knowing that Lidagat was watching over the entire group.

"I guess we should leave too," Vi suggested, as she followed Faora and Anais towards the mouth of the tunnel. Realizing she didn't know the names of her current companions, she decided to remedy the situation. "I'm Vivi Whiffle. It's good to meet you three. May I know your names?"

left tunnel > 2 guards, Estefania

middle tunnel > 2 guards, Jagred

right tunnel > 1 guard, Faora, Anais and Vivi

Last edited:
Reactions: Warden
6tiTVHp.png

After a short discussion, the group descended into the dark bowels of the abandoned mine, most bearing the aged wooden torches Vivi had found and Anais lit. Once they reached the point in the tunnels where the paths diverged, the party split up: Estefania charged into the leftmost tunnel, her torch held high, as two guards hesitantly trailed after her; Jagred went on straight ahead, also flanked by a couple of Aesyth's Watch; and Faora, Anais, and Vivi, accompanied by the one veteran who brought up the pyromancer's 'crime' earlier, trudged on into the rightmost passageway.

KWOS0zU.jpg

Their feet kicked up dust and earth that had been undisturbed for generations, and the air was rank and stale from the lack of circulation. Their light source could barely pierce through the encompassing darkness; objects and people only became visible when they were but a hand's reach away. The narrow shafts were littered with old, broken pieces of mining equipment—overturned carts, discarded rusting picks and hoes and broken rails, when combined with the rocky terrain and narrowing routes, made it so that haphazardly rushing forward would net serious injuries. In addition, they had to watch out for the scoundrels; there was a large possibility that they would spy their targets running down the same breadth of space. Each and every group knew that they had to be prepared to face at least one of the three.

Or, heavens forbid, all three at the same time.

But the walk proved to be uneventful, save for the chitter-chatter of beasts lurking in the undisturbed crevices overhead and their sharp screeches whenever the torchlight fell their way. While some of the adventurers and their allied companions relied on their own instincts and sense of direction to keep on going, the magically-inclined mages were able to hone in on a distinct source of energy, leading them on like a guiding thread. It was disconcerting, to keep waiting for an enemy that would suddenly appear from the shadows. But the closer each individual treaded, the more they could hear an insidious hiss wafting in from the end of the tunnels, sending a bone-deep chill throughout magi and mundane alike.

Eventually, one would reach the cavernous central room, where their group was joined by the other two. Although the darkness was as pervasive as it was before, the hissing had grown in volume in that it seemed as if someone was directly speaking into your ear—but the source was easily found.

At the very center of the chamber roiled a wide, rippling column of dark magic. It was only discernible from the surrounding shadows because of the crackling energy from within, excesses of which sloughed off in vine-like jets that convulsed in random directions. From this close, even the novice Anais could sense and identify that this was made by none other than that shadowcaster which interrupted Jagred's fight with uncanny timing. But… What was it? A shield? It was certainly large enough for three people to fit inside. A portal? It didn't feel the same, but then again it seemed as if nobody in the group had ever seen such a spell before. Whatever it was, it was giving off the shadowcaster's distinct energy in waves that were difficult to ignore—

nowAb7y.png

A familiar voice, distanced from its usual grace and serenity, resounded from nearby as light started spilling in from the opposite entrances. But the distance was too great, and the meaning of the utterance was distorted amongst the stones lining the cavern. The Magemother and her team rounded the corner, the latter striding, almost running, briskly and with purpose—more so than usual. Upon seeing the groups surrounding the strange confluence, her eyes widened—pinpricks of argent brighter than the surrounding lanterns—and she reached out, a burst of magic springing from her palm and arcing towards the column. "It's a trap! Get away from it!"

And then, like the rush of winds heralding a great storm, the pillar unfurled with an ear-splitting shriek, and a great surge of energy flooded out.

Chapter I END

"And Mangatia, the Great Weaver,
Saw that the Universe, for all its beauty, was chaotic, and doomed
And so she said to the All-Being,
"I shall weave the world a tapestry; fate shall be My grand design.
By My hand kingdoms will crumble to dust, and the meek shall become mighty
The oceans will run dry and the deserts will grow verdant"
By My word, never again will any soul find itself lost"

The Primordial Order

Chapter II
"The First Thread"

dividing_path_ii_by_alexlinde-d5tqoby.jpg

credit

You wake up to the sight of leaves, and the sensation of pebbles digging into your back—cluing you in that you and your fellows are no longer within the confines of the abandoned tunnels. Around you, the others stir.

The sky is a darker violet—not much different from its appearance earlier, but in this situation the small interval meant the world. The fading light scatters in between the surrounding leaves. Behind you, a mine entrance—the one your group did not use—yawned, now more menacing in the evening shadow. A familiar guard strides ahead with one hand holding aloft a blazing torch while he patrols the area. Two others are locked deep in conversation beside a nearby pile of broken shovels, their faces creased with worry. You would soon see why.

nowAb7y.png

The Magemother is seated upon a fallen log, a few meters away from the adventurers. She was hunched over and with her head in her hands, seemingly in great pain. One could remember that the archmage cast a spell to reverse or at least mitigate the effects of the wild surge. Unfortunately, her efforts did not seem to be enough, as fast as it was—and had even backfired to deal more damage to her than it did to the adventurers, who, asides from ache and pains from slamming into a cave wall, were otherwise unharmed. It was probably what the villains had intended... but then again, it may have just been a sudden and unintentional explosion.

Now what?

gRvqmUM.png

The air tasted different.

A lacking humidity? Differing vegetation? Regardless of what the true answer was, Jagred's first sensation was the 'difference' of where they had been brought. The sky was dyed with purples, becoming a shade of evening, and his stomach grumbled, hungering. Time had passed naturally then. Shadow magic shouldn't be able to alter the fabric of time, at least.

His body ached, but the pain was inconsequential to the matter at hand. Their greatest asset against that trio of criminal scum was injured the most, the Magemother's head cradled in her head to ward off what appeared to be a mental affliction, while the guards were on their feet as well, securing the perimeter. Good, he could put his effort into other things then.

"Reverent Other," the savage spoke, turning towards the carbuncle who, at 136, was definitely deserving of such words, "Could you take care of the Magemother of Aesyth? Whatever that bundle of magic was, it appeared to have affected her the most."

A nod in her direction, before Jagred bounded up, climbing with ease up the many-branched trees within the forest. Ascending rapidly, he poked his head out of the canopy after what amounted to merely a warm-up back in the Lizard Tongue tribe, and saw…

upload_2017-8-26_3-41-57-png.144216
And the people had split. Jagred went through the middle entrance, while the Carbuncle, Anais and the pirate woman went through another. It became darker the deeper they got. The cute sea creature introduced herself. This was actually their first conversation together. "This here is Anais." Pointing with her hand towards the fiery mage before returning to herself.

"And me.." She cleared her throat, before a boisterous voice escaped her lips, or at least she tried to imitate the boarman. "I am Faora stone-of-heart.. " Coughing, it didn't go so well. Stopping in her tracks, she chuckled before continuing.

"I'm Faora, but no stone-of-heart.. That was a joke. No really.. Just a pirate woman." Lifting the mood ever so slightly during their way in, things took a sudden turn.

Once they actually reached the center of the old mine, something unique and ominous was moving about. Due to her need to explore anything that would catch her curious mind, she, with her group approached it. Someone yelled from behind, telling them to clear out.

Whatever that dark magic was, it was not friendly. The explosion threw them all away from the center. Faora herself, ended up crashing into a wall, and was knocked out like the rest. Once she woke up, she was outside, by the entrance. It looked liked they were all carried out from the dangerous mine.

She had some minor scratches and injuries but nothing she couldn't handle. "I can't remember how many times I've been thrown against a wall these past days. Three times, to be exact." Faora had an annoyed expression plastered on her face.

Baffled by the situation and her unlucky encounters, she gazed about. "Vivi, Anais, are you both okay?" Once they confirmed their presence and all was well. For the time being, that is, she stood up.

Keeping her rifle ready. Her finger prepared to pull the tringer if anything unwanted approached them. "They aren't here.. And whatever that.. That stuff inside was.. It sure.. I want to know what the hell that was?!" Questioning herself. She was happy? Confused? Curious? Interested?

"LETS CONTINUE!?" Pointing onward with her rifle. Towards the mine.

@Warden @Fox of Spades @Fox of Hearts

Last edited:
W04DJyB.png
Vi bobbed her head politely as Faora introduced herself and Anais. The bunny thought it was interesting how the mage's name reminded her of a pungent spice used in stews back home. The name Faora sounded a lot more intriguing. Vi was reminded of flowers, the hibiscus in particular, standing out prominently against a backdrop of green, white and azure.

"Pleasure to meet you, F-Flor ... I mean Faora and Anais," she responded after she had responded to the soldier. "A pirate? I don't know what that is. S-sorry." She looked embarrassed at having to admit her ignorance. It would have been nice if she knew more about the outside world. "I know of fishermen, healers, the holy ones and mages. Well, there are the Gods and Goddesses too."

Those snippets were the first memories that drifted back into Vi's blank mind. She couldn't quite recall the next bits of conversation since everything descended into utter chaos. Magical energy surged wildly while the sound of hurrying footsteps clattered on the rocky floor. She recalled hearing the Wise One. Blinding pain and darkness followed soon after as the flame in Anais' hand extinguished. Thankfully, the darkness didn't last long ...

The carbuncle pulled herself up from where she laid beside the fire mage. Her tiny hands brushing away the red wisps touching her arm. Lightly, Vi smoothed the stray strands. "Miss Anais, are you alright?" she asked worriedly. "Can you get up?"

A look of concern crossed her face. Was Anais hurt? Vi was aching all over from the impact earlier but she hadn't been as far in front as the flame mage. "It's going to alright," she spoke soothingly. "I'll give you something. Make the pain go away."

Vi reached into her sling and took one of the loose water beads. Golden light bathed the waters encased within it. Slowly, the glow turned a yellow green. "Hold this," the healer instructor as she placed the bead into the girl's open palm. "Close your fingers around it."

Light trickled from the bead and it radiated outwards. Vi placed a hand on Anais' elbow. "Can you sit up yourself?"

She was busy assisting her flame headed companion when Jagred called her attention towards the Magemother. Vi's ears wilted in sympathy. Poor Wise One, she thought. She doubted such a powerful mage could get hurt easily, so the pain was probably greater than what the human let on. She guessed the best way to find out was to ask the Magemother herself.

"Stay here, alright? I promise to be back soon." Vi reassured Anais before turning to answer Faora. "I'm fine, Miss Faora, thank you for asking. I don't know if Miss Anais is ... " she admitted. "Could you be with her? I like to check on the Wise One."

Floating pass Jagred, Vi stared at him scaled the tree with ease. His movements reminded her of the mono that lived on her home island. They were graceful, agile and awfully fond of bananas and coconuts. "Sir Jagred, don't worry! I will check on the Wise One."

She wasn't entirely sure if he could hear her from that height. It was one of the drawbacks of her petite stature and small lungs. A trait true of all carbuncles whether male or female. Humans always complained about how soft they sounded even when they shouted. She peered at him awhile longer before hurrying off towards the Magemother. Her speed faltered as she came closer to the human's side. A pesky little voice decided to tear down the little confidence she had in her own abilities. Could she help at all?

"W-wise One? Magemother?" she addressed the woman as calmly as she could. Her quaking voice betrayed how nervous she felt to be in the savant's presence. Vi had seen the Magemother do so many things that it seemed almost silly that she believed she could even help such a great person. Her skills paled in comparison. "A - are you alright? Sir Jagred and I believe you are hurting. I am not very clever ... not like you, I know," she hesitated. "I - I want to help you ... just want to help in anyway."

The sea rabbit ducked her head as her cheeks heated up. "I feel sad to see you hurting."

Last edited:
cFvOOps.png
The Venomeroth had practically left the old mines as their temporary base. Because of Havoc, it was compromised, and Adie did only help in compromising the mission further. With the presence of the Magemother back in Aesyth, this was bound to happen. Revuaen had done his research on the mage.

She was not to be trifled with, or even if you did, you had to be prepared. The night was approaching the land. Revuaen and the rest of the mercenary group that were with them at the moment, were traveling through a dead forest. A place where all sorts of nasty creatures would reside in: The boglands.

Wearing his cloak, the Shyn's features were mostly hidden. One couldn't tell with a glance that he was a Magical. For reasons unknown, Revuaen had a tendency to keep his features hidden, or rather, what he was. It was not important, but it was rare. People in the mercenary group knew what he was, obviously.

Approaching their destination, or rather, the docks that would provide them with an escape, a sudden explosion occured. Behind them, if anything. Turning around, his blue eyes drifted in its direction. The trap he laid out with his magic was set off. "Looks like they found it.." Turning back, a simple look at Adie before he walked past her.

"Our base in the mines.."

"It is likely because of the Magemother. They'll be on our trail soon. I can rarely create a trap like that with my magic." For Revuaen, it takes a lot of effort to make a trap like that. It will likely not happen for a while. However, he did give their mercenary group the chance or time to get away.

Stopping in his tracks, he looked around. His eyes landed on an owl. It was staring at them. Revuaen stared back. Staying in the boglands more than neccessary was foolish. Despite his heightened senses, there was only so much he could do. They could manage inside this dead place, but only for so long. "We don't have much time."

Revuaen was annoyed, but at Adie and Havoc. Especially the latter. "Should have left him in the mines.." Rhetorically adding, he glanced towards Magpie. One hand one the holster, on his gun, he was ready for anything. At this very moment, he was more focused on his surroundings.

All sorts of sounds. From weird howling, to eyes glaring at them from the shadows could be seen, felt and so on. "As always, this place is quite inviting."

6tiTVHp.png

The stillness was riven by sharp, unwelcome barbs pricking the soft flesh of her palm. The sensation brought with it a sudden realization, a second of intense understanding, that oh, these weren't her blankets. She wasn't in her room. Her blankets were made with the softest cloth, the kind that could only be found in Gualtierrez, a land so outwardly tightfisted yet luxuriant in its excesses. Her hand could have travelled over its entirety without ever meeting a single uneven stitch or a threadbare bump. The thought, which Estefania met at first with blasé acceptance, loomed on the background of her mind, until--a snap of awareness, a recollection of the current situation--reality finally descended upon her with alarming clarity.

Estefania shoved herself up from the ground and staggered to her feet, patting down her dress and shaking the leaves from her hair. Earthen matter tinkled loose with her every movement. How long was she there, facedown on the dirt? She frantically glanced around, trying to regain her bearings and catch up on what happened while she was... preoccupied. Last she remembered, they happened upon a strange, powerful thing within the central cavern, and then the Magemother arrived and... An explosion? She remembered hitting something, which was surely why her back hurt. Around her, the others had stirred and gone on to do other things--at this, Estefania felt a frisson of irritation and embarrassment, they all regained consciousness earlier than she did? Jagred was... climbing a tree, the hapless pyromancer was talking with some shady-looking lass, and Vivi was attending to the Magemother, who seemed... afflicted, somehow.

And then it dawned: the ramifications of their failure would haunt her, really. She joined this mission out of interest, and a passing sense of duty to find a lost mother's son--she didn't expect it would turn out to be a wild hotbed of vipers and crazed villains. Perhaps worst of all was that she hadn't reacted well to those changes, and now they were here. Back to square one. Milling about at the entrance of an abandoned mine with nothing to show for it, the fastly approaching night limiting their chances of recovery, and--

"Miss!" Estefania shook her thoughts away when a voice called her attention. Turning, she found the guards standing at the mouth of the tunnel, waving their arm in... excitement, it seemed like? She approached, her footsteps more eager and rushed than could be considered proper for a young aristocrat. When she neared, the men looked at each other, then one of them--a heavily-bearded man with one milky eye-- said, "We returned to that room, and we found something interesting. A tunnel! New, too. I bet those ragamuffins made it. It was hidden behind a few planks of wood, which the blast knocked loose. We wanted to tell you folks before we fully checked where it led."

Oh, but Bathala was watching. Muttering a quick prayer to the All-Being, Estefania borrowed a torch and nodded at the veteran guard to lead the way. Before descending once more into the depths, she turned and cupped a hand over her mouth. "Everyone. A new tunnel has been discovered. I will check if it is a getaway route. Do continue what you're doing, I will be back as soon as I have the truth." She had to verify it, first. It could be anything; a failed tunnel, a storage nook... She couldn't get everyone's hopes up.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Fox of Spades
White feathers were bathed in the colours of sunset provided some camouflage for the winged being hovering high above. A bird-like Magical kept as close to the clouds as possible while he studied the group below. His dark pupils were so dilated that the orange sclerae surrounding them were barely visible.

"That's one mystery solved," Liam muttered to himself. He could see the glow of magic dispersing slowly like evening mist at dawn. Their very presence was the reason he felt so uneasy. The ripple had been so violent that it warranted him investigating the area just to be safe. "I wonder ... "

He trailed off as he tried to recall the tiniest of details that could explain the dispersing magic. At the back of his mind, he recalled spotting a group making their way through the bog lands. A rare and curious sight indeed given how treacherous the place was by foot. A coincidence? He pondered. He toyed with the idea for a second before he rejected it. He felt that it would be too much of a coincidence in all honesty.

Liam blinked several times to clear his vision. The lighted mist turned into dim shadows once again. He blinked one last time for good measure in the off chance his pupils were still dilated. He had no desire to come before the Magemother in such a state. With the amount of magic she gave off, he'd likely to go blind in a matter of seconds. Temporary or not, he wished to avoid being incapacitated in that manner.

A glance towards the red haired human being healed confirmed that his vision was back to normal. He wasn't seeing any other light save a faint glow from the spell. Interesting, he mused. He filed away what he observed about the blue Magical's spell for now. He had more pressing matters to deal with. Liam changed the angle of his wings and began descending towards the group below him.

He was nothing but a speck to the human eye from his original vantage point but, as he swooped closer to the earth, it didn't take long for the guards to recognized him. While there were a few Magical mages in the Circle, Liam stood out among them thanks to his pale feathers and towering height.

The bird man reached the same level as the tree tops when he noticed a curious orange-red blob within an arm's reach. Cursing his terrible near vision at the back of his head, Liam reached for his glasses. Wearing them revealed that he had been staring at a hulking man looking very at home up in the tree. A smile crept up his lips.

"We have a dearth of sure-footed humans in Aesyth," he commented. Although his voice remained calm and soothing, the mirth in his eyes told a very different story. Anyone looking at him could tell he was very amused. "What brings you to the mines at this time of the day? And with the Magemother no less."

He gave Jagred a chance to respond before he nudged the conversation towards a very brief introduction. "Jagred, let me be your personal tour guide the next time you are in Aesyth," he laughed, deciding he'd better end the conversation soon. "I've no doubt you'll be as comfortable as on the rooftops as I am. Sadly, I'll have to take my leave. I bring news for the Magemother."

Liam resumed the rest of his downward journey without removing his glasses. While they kept slipping off, he didn't remove them. He knew he'd need them again anyway. He pulled into a graceful swoop before landing before the Magemother. His wings folded the moment his feet touched the ground. The feathers melded together so beautifully that they seemed to form a trailing cape down his back.

He bowed politely with one hand across his chest the way he had been taught as a child. "Good evening, Magemother," he greeted reverently. "I was passing by when I noticed a disturbance. Upon investigating, I realized I might have seen the people responsible the surge."

He paused, straightening up. There was a look of concern in his eyes as he looked at the savant. He hadn't seen her in pain like this before. The very thought of her appearing so frail was very unsettling. "I don't know if I should continue," he hesitated. "You seem ... to be in pain." He faltered towards the end. Pain? Was that even the right word? he wondered. "Please let me know how I can help. I can fetch Master Odwick or one of the ... others," he offered while doing his best to remain as cryptic as possible. He wasn't comfortable saying too much in front of the other Magical.

Last edited:
Gfj4xo0.jpg

The shadows tipped over the gnarled trees surrounding their small party as the sun retreated even further down the horizon. As the darkness descended, the gouges and knobs in each ancient wood, though petrified from age and entropy, seemed to alight with ... sinister purpose. A graveyard forest. She half-expected one of the old things to uproot itself from the ground--the squelch of mud, movement too fast for their eyes to catch under the dying light, and then their path would be blocked when seconds ago it was not. Adie was not superstitious, but even she -- a gladiator scarred and true, who tore and bled her way out of the Pits -- knew when to recognize energies beyond the ken of mortals. Her tribe avoided such forbidden places in her youth, and she saw the fate of those who did not. Victims of their own folly, one and all. She held no particular regard for the Venomeroth -- in fact, what remained of her regard was fraying, fast, from Havoc's disobedience and Ruvaen's silent criticism -- but it would be a waste to lose one of them to the cursed mire.

"Keep moving, then," she said, the command simple and curt, in response to the latter's observations. Following the swath of chaos he painted across Aesyth, the former took to a sullen silence and had refrained from speaking a word since the mine. She felt a quiet sense of relief; she wanted to save the throttling for their boss, who had a lot to explain, and wasn't in the mood to deal with one of Havoc's tantrums. It was rare for them to be in as much danger as they were in right now, but the mission had been anomalous from the start. Her thoughts drifted to the past. The Venomeroth. It didn't have a name, at first; just a simple mercenary group, discreet and competent, that found patronage in the seedy underbelly of Lidaran society. And then some. They slowly built themselves from the ground up until the name became necessary, to avoid miscommunication.

Those were the good days... in a way. They knew their mission down to the last detail, the pay was good, the jobs were dirty but hardly murderous, and the Boss was... decent. A violent but pliable fool, but he was much less of a fool and a squanderer before, and Adie rarely needed to rein the boys and girls back in line. Now they were a shadow of their former numbers and she could feel the whole thing coming apart at the seams.

Hurrying near Rev, old Magpie raised her head when the trap was mentioned. She felt the surge too, and no wonder; she was the one who imbued it with such force. The thought that she still possessed such power even in her advanced age brought a warmth into her bones, negating the chill in the boglands somewhat. "Now, now, children. Calm down," she croaked, in case the gunslinger's attack prompted a nasty response. The other grunts formed a half-circle behind her, the burliest of them carrying the unconscious Corrin over his shoulder.

"Once we reach the docks we have to prep the boat. We can't leave the swamp at night -- too dangerous, even for us -- but we should be ready to depart once daylight breaks," Adie interrupted. "I have to talk to the Boss as well. This child knows of the red plague. We weren't informed." Normally the non-disclosure wouldn't have bothered her, but this time there had been too little facts, and too many mysteries. The company -- their Boss -- accepted because they had nothing else. But that he would leave them to face this sort of backlash alone? It left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Adie's dark eyes, busy scanning their immediate surroundings, snapped to the right and she gestured at her fellows. They slowed, recognizing their vice captain's command: something was moving out there. And it was fast approaching.

nowAb7y.png

It was several minutes after the incident, but the Magemother still reeled from the effects of the explosion. She had tried to take it all on herself, to redirect the unruly energy somewhere else, because she believed her barriers were enough -- but oh, magic was chaotic and unpredictable. Even for her. Although she silently felt proud that nothing terrible happened to the adventurers and the guards, what she had left to show for her efforts was one massive migraine. The equivalent of a psychic gunshot, straight to the brain. She never thought that she would compare magic to one of those Lidaran gadgets, but there it was.

A soft voice eased into her attention and the archmage glanced up, briefly. It was the Magical, the carbuncle.

"I appreciate the offer, sweet one, but I fear that the damage is not one a conventional healer can fix," the Magemother replied, forcing a smile to reassure the Other, who was clearly nervous. However, a new individual entered the proceedings: the telltale flapping of wings, and a familiar presence. It was none other than a colleague's apprentice, an avian-type Magical named Liam Fields. He inquired after her state too, but the information he implied at possessing interested her far more. The Magemother waved away his concerns and rasped out, "You may call the Arcane Council, but not for my benefit, Liam. But first tell me, what have you seen? Despite our best efforts -- which my failure didn't help -- our targets escaped. Or had escaped, long before we arrived."

gRvqmUM.png

Nothing but forest. No smoke to signal that someone was setting up a camp, not that he expected his quarry to be so idiotic. But there were a few landmarks that helped orientate him, at the very least. They weren't in a completely foreign place after all, just a different section of the area around the mines.

Turning his gaze to the Avian Other that had arrived with beating wings, Jagred managed a smile himself at the comment. "Odd indeed, considering how many hospitable trees there are," he spoke, swatting a long-limbed spider off his pants. "We're on the hunt for a group of kidnappers and vandals. Though with their latest trap, I suppose that it isn't fair to call them 'merely' that. They're highly dangerous criminals…but if one such as yourself is the messenger, I'm sure there are even more pressing concerns at hand."

With that, he nodded towards Liam, before hopping off the tree, landing on all fours. The Magemother was being taken care of. The others were healthy enough to put up a fight. The guards were all uninjured. So there was something else to handle.

The self-destructive desire of a certain fencer.

"I will assist you, Condesa," Jagred spoke, stepping in line with her, "In the case of another trap, a mighty shield will be of much use, no? Scouting only works if one can return."

Jg60U4v.png

Anais stared at the bead the carbuncle had placed between her fingers. It was glowing, and more than that, it seemed to soothe her aching muscles. The pyromancer felt a little disoriented but, similar to her companions, was more or less fine. The Magemother had taken the brunt of the attack. Speaking of the Magemother... Anais' brows furrowed in worry.
The woman was hurting. The woman was hurting and it scared her.

If those criminals were capable of hurting someone as powerful as the Magemother, it meant that they were bad news. Doubt and fear twisted her insides. What could a ragtag group like them even do in this situation? She was way in over her head, way in and even she knew it. Anais was so lost in her thoughts, that she didn't even have the chance to thank Vivi.

Green eyes flitted to Faora. Slowly, unsteadily, Anais got to her feet and dusted herself off. Gone was the earlier exuberance. The pyromancer was uncharacteristically quiet and thoughtful even when Faora pointed her rifle at the mine and urged them all to continue. "This is really serious, huh? Like we-could-get-hurt-and-die serious?" The hesitance on her face was clear. "They hurt the Magemother. If they're really that strong... sorry." She stopped herself, but the question rang inside her head anyway. What can we possibly do?

She could stop doubting, she could be brave in the face of adversity like her parents. Easier said than done of course.

Jagred and Vivi had made their way to woman, and someone else - a bird-like magical - was with them.

Anais approached and listened. He was a messenger? Normally, she would have gushed over the chance to meet new magicals, and she would have complimented his feathers too. However, Fannie and Jagred were already getting back to business. The guards had reported about a brand new tunnel within the mines and the duo wanted to go and see.

"We should go with them," Anais spoke without thinking.

If the enemies were strong enough to hurt the Magemother herself... Fannie and Jagred would need as much help as possible. "Foara and I are coming too," she declared. "We should take Vivi as well. She can heal people."

The pyromancer still felt nervous, but it was better than sitting around and doing nothing...

Her parents would have gone in bravely, so she was going to do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
W04DJyB.png
Ice cold fingers squeezed Vivi's little heart when she heard the Magemother's response. She knew the woman was trying to be kind but she felt really disappointed. She hated seeing anyone in pain, especially when she couldn't do anything to help. The little rabbit sensed her emotions were dipping a little too far south, so she attempted to reign them in by keeping as calm as possible. It was the least she could do for the Wise One. "Oh … we should get you help fast," she suggested. "Can anyone here reach the Circle quickly?"

Vi never doubted the Magemother's greatness for a moment yet she didn't want to believe no one else knew how to teleport. "I can find them," she offered. "Someone who can reach the Circle fast. Maybe cast the same spell you do. The spell that brought us here."

Her voice cut off when she sensed someone staring at her. Ignoring the chill running down her spine, the carbuncle glanced over her shoulder and regretted doing so. Pitch black pupils bore into her own beady eyes. The stare was made a lot more intense thanks to the fiery orange that surrounded them. A gurgly squeak escaped Vi's lips as she darted behind the Magemother. She didn't need a second look to know that a predator was nearby. Her prey instincts urged her to get as far away from the bird man as possible. He was a threat.

****​

"Please don't say that, Magemother," Liam protested. "Without you none would have escaped the blast alive. The strong magic remnants I saw earlier is a testament to your deed." He bobbed his head respectful while remaining bowed. He left an ample pause before supplying the savant with the information she requested. "I believe I may have seen your targets much earlier. While in the air, I spotted a group hastily making their way towards the boglands. A rather strange decision I thought given how dangerous the place after nightfall. There seven or eight of them."

He paused again to allow the first part to sink in. He had never been someone who enjoyed bombarding others with information. Doing that often frustrated even the brightest and that was the last thing he'd ever want to do. Waiting for a response, he scanned the area for that rabbit Magical he spotted earlier. Her curious absence confirmed that she had been the source of that frightened squeak earlier. Liam almost chuckled. Prey Magicals were so predictably. Always hiding the moment he approached. He couldn't blame them, though. There were many predatory Magicals who don't have any qualms feasting on weaker Magicals.

"Among them was an extremely tall person with skin the color of deepest bronze. She carried herself with a warrior's pride. She had a paler companion with hair the color of snow." He couldn't help grinning a little. Snow. That was how most people love describing the color plumage. White as the color of first snow. He used to hate how mundane the phrase had become but somehow it must have grown on him. Otherwise, he wouldn't be using it so often to describe anything white.

"There was an old woman with them too, a man in a dark hooded cloak and three others. One of the remaining three bore a great load of sorts. I didn't know get a closer look but I remember the direction they were headed." He wondered if he should carry on with lengthy descriptions of the path their quarry took. It would save him the trouble of needing to escort the soldiers through the bog lands but he had his doubts. The humans would struggle in this darkness even with the best torches. A weakness he didn't suffer from since his race had excellent night vision. "By your leave, Magemother, I could escort them through the bog lands. I don't know if giving them some general directions would be the wisest thing considering how treacherous the area could be."

Last edited:
  • Love