• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Renn listened and felt humbled and was blushing by the end of the speech. "I had no idea that my presence was providing such a service to you, but I am glad to know that it does. I remember the dreams. I remember feeling as though we had met before, but I had no idea you felt this way." Renn was above all things a very humble man. He had the utmost confidence in his healing magic and those abilities, but in all other areas of his life he felt isolated, alone and most of the time inferior.

"I am not opposed to this, but I would ask that you take time to be certain you are content and have all you would ever need." He drew in a breath and stated what he felt was the blatant and most glaring problem with his being chosen by this man. " I am not as you, I will eventually die. My race is long lived but we do die, and we can be killed."

He lifted his glass and drank a bit of the fruited water to dry his suddenly dry throat. "I..please be sure you will be able to accept my limitations. It pains me to think you would at some point regret your choice."

Kylessa stood from her desk and stretched her arms. She HAD to get some exercise. Her legs were feeling rubbery and her mind was cluttered with too many questions and too few answers. Pulling on her boots she left her quarters and went out into the hall. She looked left and right and then started running, as she'd been used to doing at home, full speed. The only thing that was missing were the trees and the sunset that would be glistening off the roofs of the treetop Jabari nests. So vivid was the iamge that tears stung her eyes as she ran. But, thinking of home brought back the thoughts of her father who had most likely tainted every good thing about their name, and was in her mind, responsible for that wine arriving here.

She ran until her lungs gasped for air, and her legs felt like fire was building inside them, and still she ran past her point of exhaustion. Finally she stopped at the balcony where the domed roof allowed that perfect gaze of the heavens. She looked up and saw the stars and the moon stretching out in the sky and watched for a very long time, just lost in thought and the beauty.

Garrick heard the soft knock, "Yes I am awake," he said glad she'd returned, "Oh how wonderful," he said, "How did you know I was thirsty?' he asked, "His smile was blinding in it's joy, "Thank you," he said, "That was so very thoughtful of you."

He looked at her then, "What did the Emperor say?" he asked, "You look happy...it must have gone well then..."

@Maggie

She smiled, carefully pouring Garrick and herself a glass of ice water, handing him his first, putting the pitcher down on the night stand and pulling up a chair to sit in. "He was so angry when he first read the letter," She began, then explained to him all the details about her being adopted, and now current owner of her father's house. "I'm happier, thanks to him. He really is an incredible Emperor, and I'm glad to be free of that awful man I'm related to. But how are you feeling, Garrick? Is there anything else you need right now?" She asked, not liking that he was so injured. She hated that she was the cause of that wound.

Magana blinked, when he said to look for the dagger. She stopped fanning the fire and started to look around the room. "I don't see it anywhere," she said as she moved things and looked obove and below everything she could. "It's not here." she said, "Where else might it have gotten to?' she asked. "Maybe it's still in the great hall?" she asked hopefully.

She frowned, "Well...the search needs to expand. I certainly don't want that thing falling into the wrong hands. I hope there aren't any other assassins left within our group, but I am not willing to risk someone's life on that hope." She took off the apron she'd put on and hung it on the hook, "I'll go inform the Emperor, and you can continue to look, and I'll join you as soon as I can, ok?"

She left the forge and made her way back to where she'd last seen Feolis. She entered and saw him hugging Aylina Rosebud, and stepped back to allow privacy until she saw the young lady leave the office. She tapped on the door this time before entering and peeked her head in, "Do you have a moment?" she asked, "Forgive me for interrupting just now...."

@Beowulf @Aragon

"Right as we got the fire going." he muttered into his beard before saying to her. "It might be on the table I was sitting at. I probably had set it down on the table earlier today. Once you're done talking with the Emperor and you come to find me, if I'm not in the dining hall then I'm at the Berkak quarters and searching there. And if I'm at neither the dining hall nor the Berkak quarters, then I'll be back in the forge." After he told her where he'd be, he quickly took off his leather apron and walked as fast as his smaller legs could carry him, without raising suspicion, to the dining hall.

Once there, he scanned the tables to find that they had been cleared. He stopped a servant and asked them if they had seen a dagger, but they replied with a no. He then asked them for anyone that might have seen it. And once the servant had listed off several names he thanked them and sent them on their way to continue their duties. He repeated those names many times as he walked towards the Berkak quarters, and eventually wrote them with magic onto his clothes so he wouldn't forget them. It was magic, so the writing could be removed by magic, once they got past the complicated knot that he had tied to make sure it all stayed in place.

Reaching the Berkak quarters, he began to scour it from hall way to hall way, room to room. When he walked in on someone in their room, he made polite conversation but danced around the topic of what he was looking for. Not an easy thing to do when you're turning the room upside down as well as kicking the walls and stomping on the floor every now and then and listening for a hollow sound in case there was a secret hiding spot, which he wouldn't put past the architect who was known for putting hidden things in hid designs.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
The knife had not been taken as was thought. It had instead been subjected to the warding magic of the Hegemony Hall, and the magic of that building had taken the knife, and embedded it within the central table, as if it had been part of the table from the start. The knife had been stripped of its magic, and it was no better than a standard dagger made by the Berkak, when left unenchanted. Below the knife, a message in each of the languages of Ilkaria was inscribed: "Here lies the blade of one lacking honor, who sought the death of those seeking peace. Here, upon this table, his blood was taken as payement, and his body split in twain. We, The Ancients of All Time and All Worlds, do hereby warn thee. Thy actions shall be observed. Know thy way, Oh Ilkaria!"

@Beowulf @PoetLore

The Arbiter smiled softly, and said, "I accept everything about you, Renn. But I must tell you, I do not believe it is just until you die that I will stand by you. I believe our love will transcend." He spoke quite honestly, and looked down at the table. "I can't explain why I believe that. I just do. I know for a fact that you are my.... mate... for lack of a better term. I will do what I can to show you what that means to me, Renn Jorell. You may call me Mikael from now on."

@PoetLore

Renn tipped his head a bit, "If you are certain," he said with a smile, "Then I am willing to see where this may lead. You seem to know things I do not," he admitted, "But I do know this. I feel comfortable, and accepted. This is important to me. I ahve never actually felt like I fit anywhere before. I know many people, have had contact with many more...and yet...I am always alone when the day is done." He lifted a shoulder and smiled a gentle smile, "Here i ahve felt a close family bond, that seems to only grow stronger. I beg you to be patient," he said then, "I have no idea how such things are done, nor anything about interpersonal relations. I will try, but I am afraid i am quite hopeless."

He pushed his food around with his fork and finally had the thought he was being very rude, and began eating, "This is quite delicious." he noted and began to eat with a bit more fervor and attention. Soon his plate was empty and he sat back in his chair contented. "I think the usual thing to do in this kind of setting, is speak about one another, and learn more about the other person?" he said though it sounded as though he were asking, "How do you like having a body?" he asked stupidly because he could not think of anything else.

Kylessa stared for a long while and was so lost in thought that she did not even hear Lord Aradove approach. "Your thoughts are far away," he said.

"Oh!" she said startled by the sudden break in the silence, "Lord Aradove," she said as she bowed to him, "Yes they are. Have you even had the nagging suspicion, that you are going to unearth a web of ugliness that will change you forever?" she asked.

Aradove rested a hand to her shoulder, "Kylessa," he said gently, "You take too much upon yourself. Whatever is unearthed about your father, rest assured it will not affect your good name. You ahve proven yourself in battle, and in these proceedings to be faithful, loyal and honest. THAT will speak for you, and THAT will be what people will attribute to your name. Be strong, and follow where the truth leads, and do not fear it. I have faith in you."

Kylessa had tears in her eyes by the time he finished, "Thank you, Lord Aradove." she said in a choked voice. She sniffed and then looked back up at the stars, "I will follow where the turth leads...I do promise you that. No matter where it leads."

The Arbiter, also known as Mikael, sat back for a moment to think. "That's a question I've not given thought to, but I think I can answer this easily. There's a type of freedom that a spirit does not have. For instance, the magic. Without a body, I was just magical material flying around the universe. Power could not be accurately controlled, unless it was focused through a person or thing. Now, with a body, the same power is there, but the power now has added control and finesse, which was not there before. But at the same time, there's a type of bondage that is almost more appealing to me than the freedom. I can no longer hear all the prayers and supplications to the ancients. I no longer feel the emotions of my brothers in the Council of the Ancients. To me that is more freedom than bondage."

He took a drink, then looked at Renn with a soft, affectionate stare. "When you are looking at a person who you wish to heal, what do you see first?"

@PoetLore

Garrick accepted the water and drank it down quickly. "Thank you," he said and the tipped his head as he set the glass down on the stand beside the bed, "You are happier because of him?" he asked, "What has he decided? How has he helped you?" he asked.

He was suddenly terrified that Feolis had proposed marriage or some such thing, and was almost afraid for her to answer his question. That sudden stab of jealousy spiked through him, and he was completely unprepared for it. Hopefully he hid it well, hopefully.

@Maggie

Aylina took his hands in hers, understanding his feeling of jealousy completely. "He's adopted me as his daughter, Garrick. He's decided I'm to keep my father's house and run it myself. There will be no more treachery from Vladimir, or any of the guards that used to work there.. I'll be replacing much of the staff." She added, still smiling. "Garrick, know now, that you have my heart.... whatever lies before us, I trust you with my life, and you can trust me." She assured him, meaning every word. She saw them building a future together once all this was behind them. Her arm started to throb, however, and she carefully lowered it. but held his hands with her good one.~

• Love
Feolis looked up with a soft smile, and nodded. "Of course, Regent. And, if you would, call me Feolis, if I may call you Magana. What can I do for you this evening?"

@PoetLore

Magana smiled as she entered, "That would be much easier, feolis," she agreed, "And yes, please do call me Magana," she urged him. "It has come to my attention that the dagger that was used to attack Ambassador Garrick has gone missing. I had given it to Lord Buras for destruction as he had done with the axe, but it is nowhere to be found. I am worried about it falling into the wrong hands, or even accidentally injuring someone."

She furrowed her brow and bit her lip, "Forgive my negligence, Feolis. It was my responsibility to see that it was properly disposed of."

@Aragon

Feolis raised his eyebrows, and said, "I don't think that will be a problem. Approximately an hour ago, I saw a flash of magic in the center of the great table. I went to investigate, and found that magic itself had embedded the dagger into the table. Go take a look. I think you should see the warning the Ancients have placed on the table." He pointed to the table, then said, "Follow me. Let me show you."

@PoetLore

Magana lifted a brow,"Oh?" she asked and nodded as she followed him back to the great hall. She looked at the table and blinked, "Well I'm not likely to forget today, of the bloody mess I made any time soon then am I?" she asked as she read the words and then looked back at him, "I know some were shocked by that, but it is the way of the Ferregard. I should ahve spared everyone witnessing it."

Well the cleaving a man in half, is not actually their way, but beheading is. She just felt the need to make him a special kind of example and to deny him a traditional death, because of the heinousness of his actions.

"I am so relieved, Feolis," she admitted, "I cannot tell you how much this eases my mind." She reached over and took his hand and gave it a gentle, for her, squeeze. "Thank you for your alertness. This could ahve become a crazy sear..." Her eyes widened and she lifted ehr hand to her forehead, "Oh merciful Fathers!" she said and blinked, "Poor Buras is likely turning the Berkak quarters upside down looking for this!" She held his hand in both of hers for a brief moment, "Thank you again..I must find him and tell him all is well. I dare say he will want to see the table as well."

She took off toward the Berkak quarters in search of him muttering under her breath at the trouble she seemed to cause everywhere she went.

@Beowulf

Magana found Buras slowly closing a door and ashamedly talking to someone behind the door. "Yes, oh yes. It was nice talking to you to. Mhm, good day." Finally the door clicked shut and he turned around to see Magana. "Oh, it looks like you're already done talking to the Emperor. Well I'm not surprised, I have a lot more ground to cover and shorter legs. Now help me look for that dagger. I'm sure we can explain away why you're with me, a master and his apprentice should do it. Some might poke and prod and look for meanings that aren't there, but that can't be helped." He spoke quickly, not really giving her a chance to tell him that the dagger had been found, having appeared on a table in the dining hall after he had looked about it.

• Love
Renn listened and nodded, "That makes sense," he replied thoughtfully. "I would think not being able to touch things would be very limiting. My healing works much through touch as does the art I create. I cannot imagine life without it, to be honest."

He raised a brow at the question about healing. No one had ever asked him about that before, and the fact that he had made him smile. "Usually I first she the obvious, overt issues. Such as a bone protruding from the skin, or blood." He looked up at him remembering the blood he'd lost not long ago, Such as was the case with healing you." He sipped from his glass and then continued, "but other times there is nothing to be seen," he explained, "Those are the times I usually notice their eyes first. Sickness usually shows in the eyes. Yellowing, or grayness, dilated pupils..sluggish drooping lids. They tell a story." he lifted his gaze and looked at Mikael, "You have interesting eyes, Mikael. there is great depth there."

Kylessa stayed at the balcony after Lord Aradove departed to tend his duties. She needed something to do. She wasn't used to idleness. What did an Ambassador to the Arbiter DO exactly? She had no idea. Maybe she should ask the Artbiter that question. she went to his office but it was empty. She tried the great hall and saw Magana leaving in a big hurry and approached Feolis, "Good afternoon Emperor Duen," she said as she bowed her head slightly, "Getting settled into your new position?" she asked amiably.

She noticed him looking at the table and she did as well, "Is that the dagger?" she asked leaning over the table a bit to look more closely. And then saw the words, ""The Ancients ahve always been watching...we just chose to ignore them...how could we have been so blind?"

Status
Not open for further replies.