Variable
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Romance, Yaoi, Furry
Click here to get a copy of the map of Ilkaria.

The Council Ancients had enough. The Great War would destroy the entire continent if allowed to continue. As it was, three-fifths of the population were already dead, from all races. And so, the Ancients sent one of their own, and named him The Arbiter. They gave him powers that would make it possible to make certain that he would be successful. His task was multi-pronged: 1. He was to negotiate (force) the leaders into a peace agreement. 2: He was to create, as a result of that agreement, a new government. 3: He was to return.

But, the Ancients did make a small mistake. They gave him free will. And, he was never to return to the Council. The rest of his task he was certain to complete. This is his story.

I am The Arbiter. I am named Mikael. But the people of Ilkaria could not know that. My tasks were going to be difficult. At least the first two I could obey. The last of them, to my mind, was not possible. I had been too long in the presence of that particularly crotchety body of elders. As openminded as they were, they weren't known for... patience.

So, to Ilkaria I instantly transported myself. I decided to start my quest with the person I knew had started it all, Garrick Ericksson, a member of the Berkak race. His actions prior to the war were the cause of the war, and it was to him that the first job would go.

So, I transported myself directly to his house where he sat alone, and appeared sitting across from him, before his fire. "Greetings, Garrick Ericksson. I would offer you a way to help end this farce." That's what I said, hoping for some positive reaction.

Garrick sat stoking the fire in his hut. He had long ago left the beautifully crafted cities that were literally carved into the the sheer rock faces of the Dorn mountains. He'd been attempting to atone for his mistakes, make peace with himself and the ancients but he had just about given up hope of anything reaching them.

His head lowered and his hand dragged through his long beard. "How much more must be lost before you intervene?' he asked the ancients out loud.

He heard the voice before he saw the man. His head lifted and his eyes were piercing blue, but they held a heaviness and the burden he bore was easily seen there in those eyes. "Have the ancients sent you?' he asked as he regarded the man before him, "I will do anything asked of me if it means an end to this. Even if it means my life."

He didn't honestly feel he deserved to live, when so many had died because of his drunken stupidity. Every day he drew breath mocked him and tormented him, but he was trying his best to change the tide and remove the stigma of his actions. Perhaps he would be granted atonement, even if he never forgave himself.

I reached out and shook Garrick's shoulder lightly. "You made a mistake, true, and also true is that the races all reacted badly. You wish to atone, and I am here to offer a way to do so. My offer is this. I need someone to accompany me and to be my voice among your people, who will see my appearance, and instantly have... problems with me. I appear as an elf, and as you know, your people aren't pleased with elves being in their mountain." I took a breath.

It was clear to me this dwarf needed a change, and perhaps my next words would begin to correct his current mood. "I wish you to come and be my voice. Will you speak as the voice of the Avatar of the Ancients to your people? Will you speak for the Arbiter?"

I waited on his words. I wanted him to use his experience in war, and his hatred of it, to good effect, rather than to sit and stew in his tears. I attempted to appeal to that honorable nature of his people, and I hoped it worked. To be honest, I was not sure.

Garrick listened, "I can accompany you, tough to be honest I doubt my words will do you any favors with my people." he said being completely truthful. "I will go with you though, and if nothing else give you a way to be heard. My people may not like me but they do fear me. That may be the means of allowing you to earn their ear."

He furrowed his brows and took in a deep breath, "When do we leave?' he asked, "How long will we be gone?" He needed to prepare, and shut things up here before he left. Perhaps even add a few provisions and supplies to his pack.

He turned to look back at the elf, "Do you believe you will be able to end this?" There was a pleading look there in his eyes, as if he was begging for something to hope in and cling to in that moment.

I knew that he thought less of himself than his people did, but I was silent about that. "You honor me with your presence, and I would be doubly honored if at some point in our journey we could become friends. I have a message that would... frighten many if they knew, but as it stands, I must do things I never thought I would have to."

I sighed, and taking a drink out the flask I conjured, I continued, "Here is your first task. I will wait on your words when you return. I have a feeling I know what the War Chiefs will say, and that will force my hand. Tell your War Chiefs this: Your world is dying because you continue the chaos. I, the Arbiter, ask for your attendance to a peace-conference. Let us end the farce and the killing."

With that, I stopped talking, and realized that for the first time in my interminable life, I was crying. That stunned me, but I forced myself not to show that particular emotion. I just stared into the fire.

Garrick looked shocked by the words, "Has it really come to that?' he asked, "It is worse than I had believed then."

He stood and hastily closed up his house and packed a few things in his pack. He returned and threw water on the fire in the hearth. "Shall we be about it then?' he asked, "We cannot wait longer, if what you say is true....it has already been too long."

He smoothed down his beard and watched the fire die. "I am so sorry," he said quietly, "More sorry than anyone could possibly ever know."

I rose, wiped the tears from my eyes, took a shaky breath, berating myself for superfluous emotion, and steeling myself, led the way out the door. "You should lead me to outskirts of your city. I am not certain of my welcome in your cities, so I would not make your situation untenable." I looked at the outline of the city embedded in stone. "What do you think they would say if I entered your borders? Would they accept my words?"

This was, to me, of utmost importance, and I knew of no way that they would accept my words. I knew they war chiefs were set in their ways, and many could not see me for who I was. They only saw the skin, hair, eyes, and ears. They saw elf, not Ancient.

Garrick nodded, "I have no real idea how they will react," he said honestly, "I would like to say they are reasonable men, but they are hard-headed and proud. And very likely filled with Dwarven ale." He eyes clouded at the mention of it. He followed out the door and began walking toward the stone outcroppings. The city was magnificent to behold. A true architectural marvel achieved by a people whose very existence was found in the stones they chose to dwell within.

As they neared he let out a sigh, "I wish I could ease your mind. I will not lie though. I will not add that to the list of my sins." His eyes lifted up to the city as they approached and he was again reminded of their triumphs and achievements as a race.

He knew the exact moment they were seen, and steeled himself. Before they were one hundred yards from the gates, they were met with a show of force. "Garrick Ericksson," the commander called out, "Halt. We are at war. NO outsiders may enter or near the gate."

"He is sent from the ancients," Garrick explained, "You must hear him."

"Nay Garrick Ericksson," the commander replied, "He is an elf. My eyes can clearly see what he is. Do you now add treason to your crimes?"

Garrick furrowed his brows and spat in the direction of the commander, "Your eyes are worthless as is your great city!" he roared across the distance between them, "What of your precious race if nothing remains? Your war is killing everything and everyone. What do you fight for? How will be left to protect?" His voice rang across the glen and up to those watching from the balconies and windows above them.

The commander raised his greatax and let it fall to the ground, "Your message has been delivered Garrick Ericksson," he said, "Now leave and take the elf with you. You are no longer welcome here."

"It is time." I took Garrick by the arm, and said, "Steel yourself. There is a place we must go, and we must do it my way. The Ancients have prepared a place for us to bring the people together." With that, I transported the two of us to a location southeast of the Dorn Mountains, where an empty, if ancient dwarven-built palace stood. With my powers, I opened it, and made it the place for meeting, a table in the center, and seats around. "Garrick, your next task is this. Write a list of the current known leaders of each race. I will have to... summon them... forcibly, it seems."

Tears again flowed. "I did not wish this on your people, nor any other race, Garrick. Would that my counterparts had seen to send me earlier." I shook my head and sank into one of the many chairs surrounding the table.

Garrick looked at the Arbiter and he'd see shame there in those blue eyes. Shame and defeat. The Arbiter took his arm and said to brace himself and he did so, not exactly knowing what to expect. When they were suddenly standing in front of an ancient looking dwarven structure his eyes blinked and his head bowed, "You are indeed of the ancients," he whispered. Not that he hadn't believed before but now he had the feeling he was in the presence of an actual ancient one.

He entered with the arbiter and watched as the man before him felt the overwhelming pressure of the tasks at hand. If anyone understood that kind of weight, it was Garrick himself. He nodded his head and wrote the names on a piece of paper:

Kolvar Aradove - General of the Jabari
Thurdan Rolona - General of the Aedairin
Corym Cranala - General of the Vaelena
Delock Copprsson - General of the Berkak
Knurigg Vlog - General of the Ferregard
Rockwal Admark - General of the Laren

He sighed as he finished the list and handed it to the Arbiter. "Whatever befalls us now," he said solemnly, "We have earned of our own free will. Be it as it must be to save this land."

I took the list, tears still in my eyes. I then stood, and raised my hands, focused, and began to chant in the tongue of the ancients. The language is unlike any of the languages of Ilkaria, and it cannot be spoken except by an ancient. The enchantment I worked was meant to pull the listed individuals instantly from wherever they were into seats around the table. Finishing the enchantment, I sat, and waited for the tailtell pops of each of the generals' appearance.

General Admark was the first to arrive and his confusion was a mask on his face that was very quickly encased in a stern expression. he eyes the 2 men in the room and the frown on his brow was a deep furrow between his eyes. "I know whom YOU are," he said looking at Garrick, "What is the meaning of THIS?"

Before he finished speaking General Coppersson arrived in a seat across from him. "What the ...?" he said and then narrowed his eyes at the human across the table and then cast his gaze to the toher two, "Garrick Ericksson," he said with a huff. "I heard ye were a traitor...Now I know tis true."

The other four arrived with a pop,pop,pop,pop one after the other and the expressions of confusion and then instantaneous anger would have been funny if it weren't for the actual peril of the current situation. Voices from all over the room raised until it was one shouting as loud as he could at another.

Garrick stood and banged his fists on the table and shouted, "ENOUGH!" and then sat back down and focused his steely blue gaze on the men around the table, "FOOLS!" he spat out, "The whole lot of you are FOOLS!" he huffed out a heavy breath, "Listen to the man the ancients have sent or die."

I stood, and let the magic roll over me. There was no doubt. A blind, deaf man could easily feel what I was doing, and I forced silence in the room. "Generals of Ilkaria, it is I who called you. And you will listen. I will not be argued with here. I am The Arbiter. I am one of those you and I call the Ancients. They have sent me to end this farce of a war. It is true that Garrick Erickson did a bad thing. He made a mistake. But, every one of you have sinned. Every one of you are guilty not only of the deaths of innocents, but of the death of your world! That is, if you DO NOT END THE CHARADE OF HATE NOW!" I felt every ounce of the power go through those last words.

"I now call on you to do what this world needs. Start anew. End the war, and join to govern Ilkaria fairly. How will you six now respond?"

General Cranala spoke first, "Arbiter," he said in a smooth rich voice, "It is evident by the power necessary to bring us all here that you are who you claim to be."

General Knurigg scowled, "Parlor tricks and lies!" he said not at all comfortable with the magic that was essentially filling the room.

General Aradove laughed, "That is one mighty parlor trick that I would like to learn," he said honestly quite amused by the orc's discomfort.

General Admark frowned, "What you are saying is that if we do not call a cease fire youa re going to what exactly?" he asked, "Hold us here forever?"

Genera' Rolena shook his head, "No he is saying if we do not call a cease fire will will ahve no world to defend. I have to admit I have had those very thoughts recently." He looked around the room, "have you not seen the devastation generals? Does it not alarm you? Do you not wonder what will be left for our children and grand children?"

General Coppersson finally spoke, "You are saying our sins are greater than Garrick's sin..." he sounded disbelieving but he spoke it anyway.

Garrick could not believe his ears. He was about to give up when the dark elf spoke and his head lifted. Someone had the thought, praise be.

I looked at General Coppersson, and said, "Is sin not sin, no matter the scale? Should those with the power to change a thing not use that power? Garrick killed, and he is striving to atone for that sin. Can you say the same, General Coppersson? Can you honestly say that you have attempted to correct your own sins? Or have you sought to keep hating? Have you sought to kill the hatred, or have you used your hate as a weapon to further the killing? Have you forgotten that a field lies just north of the Dorn Mountains that is full of blood and magic that it cannot sustain growth, and that not one of you are willing to enter it because of the very blood you yourselves have spilled there?"

I turned to the rest of the group. "What of your children? Your bloodlines? What will happen now? Are you aware that in thirty years you have killed no less than three fifths of your entire population? You senselessly cling to your twisted ways at the cost of your children, grandchildren, and the very land you call home!"

I found myself again weeping. I could not hold back the passion. Death was something that an ancient could not understand someone bringing on other people needlessly.

General Rolena blinked and gasped, "Three fifths?' he buried his head in his hands, "I had not thought it that many..." He seemed to be the only General present who really understood the enormity of the Arbiter's words.

General Coppersson frowned at being singled out, "I am not alone in my hatred," he defended, "But no...I have done nothing to abate it either."

General Knurigg huffed, "Berkaks hate for no reason," he said with confidence, "But Orcs fight to avenge a wrong, the loss of life."

General Admark shook his head, "If that were true," he said honestly, "Then Garrick Ericksson would have stood trial and paid for his crime. THAT would have been justice." He sighed, "I will agree to the cease fire. We cannot afford to spill more blood gentlemen. We must cooperate and end this before we are the last men left standing."

The others nodded in agreement, even Knurigg and Coppersson.

Garrick had tears in his eyes then, "I would have gladly paid," he said softly, "Gladly...to have avoided this loss of life...."

I pulled from my cloak a parchment, upon which was written a basic cease fire agreement. "This parchment is a simple cease fire. It states plainly that all parties agree to cease hostilities. There is more to consider, but please, if you agree, simply read and sign this. Once you all sign it, a copy will be sent directly to your seconds in command, and you will retain a copy."

My next step was either going to make them very interested, or angry, and I was unsure what they would thing. "The next thing is this. I now establish a governmental body. This shall be called the Hegemony. Each general is interim head of your house. Each race shall be one house. You shall nominate five Delegates to be sent here to the Hegemony Assembly Hall. Of those five, the Lord Delegate, who will be the true head of house, shall be chosen. Of those, an emperor will be chosen by the Ancients. It is up to you to do honor to your race and find the best people to fill these positions. Know this, though. I have final say on every member chosen. Each delegate will be a part of the house, and their family may join them in claiming the name of their house. Now, that is your task. Any questions, Generals?"

I sat, and listened.

General Admark was seated closest to the arbiter and he read the document and then signed and passed it on. Each general in turn read and signed, and no one spoke while this process occurred. when it made the complete circle it was handed back to the arbiter.

"YOU will initiate a new governing body?' Knurigg asked with a huff.

"Who better?' asked General Aradove, "He has not been party to these atrocities, I for one agree. I am confident the House of Aedairin can find worthy delegates to return to this place."

The others all nodded in agreement, "Of course we can," echoed throughout the room.

General Admark turned to address the arbiter, "When shall we return with our delegates?' he asked.

I nodded. "When each of you have found worthy candidates, bring them and their families to this place. You will know how to get here without assistance, even if you never have traveled here unassisted. You will, generals, not automatically choose your families. Use your honorable natures, where that is part of you. Choose according to your house laws. Once you have chosen, bring the five with you, and present them to me. From there we will continue. Tell your people the truth. Tell them what you have done and how you are seeking to rectify the sins."

I turned to Garrick. "I need something of you, friend Garrick. I need you to go to your home and remove your things. We will be traveling after the Delegates have arrived, and The Hegemony is established. When you are done getting your things, simply say, 'I am ready, my friend,' and you will automatically return to this spot." I cast the spell to allow that, then nodded to him.

The generals listened and nodded in agreement. Each stood and waited to be returned without asking for that to be done. Each assumed they would return in the same manner they had arrived.

Garrick stood and nodded, "If I can be of service Arbiter. I am willing to be so." He didn't ask why or what was needed of him as they traveled but he was more than willing to do what needed doing to ensure the proper and safe end to this war, and to see the new government fully installed and honored by all. "I am ready to return," he said and like the others waited to be sent home.

Status
Not open for further replies.