Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking at a leisurely pace, Soren was almost surprised to see the others waiting. Even though he got the message earlier, part of him thought for certain, that aside from Rumeus, the others would actually just ditch out as soon as they would have the chance. "Part of me thought it would be a smaller hunting party." He spoke in a low tone, almost a mutter.

Shortly afterwords, Rumeus arrived, and apologized. "I wonder if he is like that in real life as well?" They didn't set a specific time to meet up, and really had no reason to group together aside from all having the same starting quests. He truly did owe them an apology, or anything for that matter.

Soon though, someone else was there, with more people in tow, a face that they more or less did owe a lot to, but that refused to be paid back. Sagittarius. He went on about the quest they would be going on, and he brought them two more new players to join their merry band. I guess this is how we pay him back?

Keter spoke in greater depth about his thoughts about the quest, making a lot of sense, "So, we should focus fire on one small wolf at a time, till its just the head left, then chop it off?" As he spoke, he demonstrated a chopping motion, "Sounds like a plan. I'll stay in the back though, I have ranged damage and healing skills."

It took Soren a while before he clued in that he had just left the new ones joining them out of the loop, "Oh, I'm Soren," He then eyed them up one at a time, taking a step closer to both of them while doing so, only to stop and shrug "Nope, can't read them either."

She should have known better. After having done her business in the town it came to no surprise that, in the end, Ova was seeking out the 'other players' in the same fashion A did, though probably for different motives. A gave off a small sigh. "Here to get carried some more, Ova?" Was all A would fire at him, and then be done with it. She didn't even know why she felt so annoyed by him, after all, he made the entire dungeon harder, which was ultimately a good thing!

Regardless, A concentrated now at the matters at hand, doing that dungeon stuff for her fancy stone was indeed something she also planned on doing, and if that was combined with beating up some critters, well, that made the entire thing even better! Skipping the part about getting a first-impression about the other four, she was coming right to business as she simply said in high spirits. "Yo! I am A, and I was actually looking for you! Hoping anyone could tell me more about this stupid old hag in the end. But beating up a bunch of animals sounds like fun too!" A actually questioned everybody, including Ova. "Also, thank you." The blonde girl then added towards Sagitarius as she took one of the crystals from the bag. And as far as her 'role' was concerned, it was pretty obvious just from the stupid looking helmet and gauntlets she was wearing.

Sagitarius looked over the party of six. In other games, a large party like that wouldn't have been all that necessary. This game was a bit different. "You all look like you have a pretty good party going on. You'll be dealing with alot of wolves, and they are pretty tough, so you'll definitely need to be careful. They may be just wolves, is probably what you guys are thinking, but they are pretty tough regardless on their own and in a pack they can be quite deadly since they are pretty skilled at working together".

In a sense, what he merely said was not to underestimate the enemy. After all, pack mentality was with these wolves. As such, they probably focused on flanking tactics and may go after whoever they can take down the quickest rather than the basic RPG rules of whoever deals the most damage gets the most damage. Aggro was much different in VR Games like this after all thanks to much more intricately made Artificial Intelligence.

When Rumeus asked that question though, about how he kept Melee fighters at bay, the archer raised his eyebrow. "Ah, I take it you and her had a talk about min/maxxing huh?" Sagitarius chuckled softly now, acting as if this wasn't his first time explaining something like this to a new player. "I use neither a specific Art or Skill. Instead, I use Items. Items are good for covering your weaknesses without the need to spend points or time grinding anything specific. After all, while its good to have Items to boost your strengths, you may want things to boost your vulnerabilities. Mine is melee fighters and, for example, yours would be Endurance" he looked at Rumeus as he said that last part, still noticing that his Endurance was still 6.

It made sense the way he said it calmly and precisely. He proceeded to gesture to his belt that he was wearing around his waist, pulling up a little petal piece that was over the center of his buckle to reveal a silver, glowing gem beneath.

"This is a Skill Gem, a Skill put into a Gem. Normally you use them to learn Skills as you would books, getting them from taking a Skill from something else or a Mason can make them. Skill Gems, if you have a Gem Slot on any item, can be put into said slot and used without the need for learning or being able to learn the Skill. This one contains a Silver Ether Skill known as Dome Push, which performs Knockback on all adjacent targets. The only downside..." he began to say, scratching his head as he read through a window now, "is that Skill Gems cannot differentiate friend from foe, Level up very, very slowly and do not grant the Skill's Passive Bonus to you".

That was a definite option to consider, acquiring a Skill as an Item and slotting it to a piece of gear to utilize it.

"Of course, that is my Knock-Back mainly for multiple enemies. If I am dealing with a single enemy..." he paused, showing his right hand now, both of them being clad in tight leather gloves probably meant for archery. He touched the back of the glove, a small rune shimmering on it for a few moments before it faded. "I use this. Its an Adept Knock-Back Rune. If an individual enemy gets too close I just give them a good shove" he pushes his hand in front of him, as if to illustrate just striking an opponent with his hand, valuing hitting the opponent rather than dealing damage.

"My Accuracy is pretty high. I don't need to deal damage with the hand attack, as all I need to do is hit so I don't need the Fisticuffs Sense. If I hit, then the Rune will activate performing Knockback on them to send them flying back, allowing me to quickly fire a shot even if they weren't sent back that far. This is how I deal with Melee fighters".

Essentially, this was his way of using Items to cover his vulnerabilities. It was a good strategy, allowing him to save points and time not needing to grind things that weren't congruent to his strengths.

"This game values strategy and preparation more than most other Games. Your Gear is incredibly important, and not just the gear that you are wearing to boost your strengths, but also utility Items or gear you need to cover your vulnerabilities. This is why Anti-Shadow Items are so useful, as they do just that. Cover the areas that you are vulnerable or weak in".

He then suddenly remembered something, clapping slightly in realization.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Speaking of gear..." he reached into his own bag upon his back, pulling out a sack and handing it to Rumeus once again. It appeared to be full of... raw meat.

"Those Wolves most likely didn't get anything to eat in this most recent attack. While it seems like they are going more for causing chaos and carnage, that doesn't mean that they aren't hungry. You all should take a piece each, use it to either try and set up an ambush or, if during the fight, use it to distract a wolf for just a moment by throwing it to get in the decisive strike that you need, as long as they fail to resist its allure of course". It made sense. Wolves loved meat, so throwing a piece while fighting one to create an opening for a well placed strike or two, or allowing a strategic retreat, wasn't a bad idea.

"Again, while you don't necessarily need to spend time preparing as not everyone does, there is nothing wrong with bringing along a specific type of Item meant for fighting a specific form of enemy. Like meat to fight wolves or Green Ether Shards to allow the pacification of Lost Ones. Of course, this game doesn't pull a having 2352 different specific items that all have one specific function, but nonetheless you'll find that most items can be quite useful in and out of combat. So taking some time to prepare, even if you don't want to spend alot, isn't a bad idea".

So there was a value to inventory and proper preparation then. Not 100% necessary most likely, but definitely valuable. A sort of Monster Hunter, for those of the group who remembered that series, vibe.

"Anyway, with that being said, you guys should probably get going unless you have anymore questions or preparations you need to make?"

Once any last questions had been answered, the meat distributed or declined, and last minute preparations had been made it was time to set off towards the Outer Boundary in order to fight some Wolves and possibly explore a Dungeon if all of them were well enough to do so. It took about ten minutes or so to get to the actual Outer Boundary of the Forest of Souls, soon enough having arrived at the place where they first met Sagitarius and woke up after getting stabbed by The Guide.

Unfortunately without any way to track the wolves they had no way of knowing where the wolves were actually going, so they would have to do a bit of blind searching to try and find the wolves. Finding them would be vital since they would need to get to the Wolves before the Wolves retreated to their den to recover, since according to Sagitarius a few of them were heavily wounded by a Guard that they had met. Attacking the wolves while they were still a bit wounded would be a vital strategy in getting a huge advantage in the battle.

Luck seemed to prevail for the Party though, as soon enough a little further ahead in the distance they would see the wolves in an area of the Outer Boundary that was dotted with a little less dense foliage. There were still trees and the like, just not as many in this small area the wolves were in. There were indeed eight regular wolves and a wolf that was about a third larger. The eight wolves were typical grey wolves, although three of them appeared to have a few red gashes along their body and one more that had some very heavy gashes on their body.

The party did have some trees to conceal them and, as long as they didn't make any rash or sudden movements, were still unnoticed so far at about fifty yards away or so. They could either make a plan to go in stealthily, make a plan for an ambush, or go in blades swinging if they truly wanted to. Overall, a perfect setup for an ambush, but they would have to decide quickly, as it seemed like judging from how the wounded wolves, which had been laying down for the moment, were standing up.

It seemed like the Party did not have too much time before the wolves decided to move again and if the Party wasn't careful they would get noticed, but if they weren't quick enough then the wolves would start to move, which could either end up with the wolves moving towards them and noticing them in the process or the wolves running away meaning the party would have no choice but to suddenly initiate an unplanned surprise attack in order to ensure that the wolves didn't run away.

Overall though, for now they had the element of surprise, but if they didn't plan carefully they could quickly lose that element. This element could make the difference between a swift victory or a long and grueling battle that could go either way.​

[BCOLOR=transparent]He had to take a small breather from it all, except that it was short lived, considering he was still logged on and decided to seek the other players out. He had learned some new moves and skills. And he was holding onto a trump card. He had admitted he got a little heated with A earlier. And he had to take a breather from that.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Except that she really hadn't taken a breath from it. Instead she threw fire at him, with more heated words. Which made him angrier. Though he had to tell himself to remain calm and to breathe in deeply. He was getting worked up over nothing.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]And considering the fact that she may be younger than him. Made it all the much more worse. He needed to be the adult here. Accepting the party invite, he hoped that with his trump cards, and his new skills that he could become stronger.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]That he could hold his own. He had to also admit to himself, that he had a bit of a sore spot for being weak and that was getting annoying fast. The things he said and the way he behaved even disgusted himself. Except now was not the time to get distracted.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]They reached the outer bounds of the forest and Ova did have to admire everything was. If only worlds like this existed in the real world. If only he could be in worlds like this all the time. The music was tranquil, though he understood the importance of the mission. Waiting for the cues from the party when to act.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]They were tracking a group of wolves. Which Ova knew would be a tough fight. It seemed like a collective knowledge among the party that the wolves would be a tough fight. Concealing themselves behind the treeline. Ova had never really been a leader.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]To be honest, in most games, it was the people with the swords that were the ones who took orders and took charge of the situation. Though he also understood the importance of not being noticed and keeping the element of surprise.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]So Ova looked to the most capable of giving orders. The one who had sent him the party invite in the first place. This was such a large group and he was beginning to feel a bout of anxiety and nervousness coming on. He didn't want to look weak and be carried in front of this many people. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He wanted to prove, even more so now, that he was better than that. He wanted to be stronger than his older self. That's what he appreciated of these games. It gave him a goal in mind and wanted him to push himself forward.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Real people in the real world weren't like that. Wouldn't it be fantastic, to not have to sleep and just live in a world like this. He smiled at the thought. Except the fact that there was a part of him screaming to wake up inside. That he needed to stop thinking this was. Because he was becoming a sad broken record of melancholy. [/BCOLOR]

[fieldbox= Rumeus, olive, solid]
uwUj0Gr.png

"Huh. Thanks."

Was all Rumeus said when Sagittarius finished explaining. To be honest, Rumeus didn't find Sagittarius' talk all that encouraging. More than items, Rumeus was hoping for some battle tips, but that wasn't the case. From his words though, it seemed that wolves didn't possess any glaring weaknesses or strengths. And they were attracted to meat. Rumeus held onto the bag again, while holding the thought of why Sagittarius bothered to pass it to him first instead of handing the items out himself. And why he was carrying around a sack full of meat in the first place; it seemed that it wasn't something specially prepared like the Shards from his reaction. Sagittarius finished his talk with a question.

"Thanks Sagittarius. I don't have anything else to ask you."

Rumeus looked at A.

"I apologize for not introducing myself earlier, I forgot in my eagerness to respond to Sagittarius. Thank you Keter for doing it in my stead. Now, 'A', was it? I'm surprised you managed to get that name, to be honest. You must have been really lucky or something. Unfortunately we don't have any info about the old hag, though from your words I assume you went through the same unpleasant experience as we did. Not even Sagittarius knows."

He was glad to have A join the party. Unlike the other three, A seemed like she would be the talkative and energetic type. Well, Tsukikage was a bit talkative when she wanted to be. As for Ova, he couldn't really tell since he was quiet this whole time, though he had the feeling Ova would be similar to Keter and the others.

Rumeus sent friend requests to A and Ova and was about to send party invites as well when he noticed that they were already in. From the game's interface, Rumeus could tell that Tsukikage had done so.

("Huh, party members can invite others without the consent of the party creator by default? Interesting.")

Rumeus left the function on, as he didn't see a good reason on why he should disable it. He cleared his throat then looked at everyone present.

"Well before we get going, I'd like to know something about all of you guys. Like what types of characters are you? Something basic like what Soren said is fine. I think this can go unsaid, but it will be helpful for our party formation. As for me, I'm a speedy earth Ether mage, ranged attacks, no useful utility. I mean I have a glorified pocket sand spell that's only usable in close range so it's basically useless for me. Also, are you guys new to VRMMORPGS? If so then Tsukikage can give you a few tips like she did for me. When she comes back..."

Rumeus hit the palm of his hand with his fist as he remembered something.

"Oh yeah, I need her to explain what 'switching' is too..."

Rumeus shook his head and looked at A once more.

"I'm also interested in what you meant by 'get carried' in regards to Ova? Did he particularly make things harder or something?"

After saying that, Rumeus shared his gaze between Ova and A. Though Rumeus normally didn't take an interest in personal affairs, he purposefully asked here. Squabbles between members of a party weren't conducive to success. If they could square that away before embarking, that would be great. Especially since Ova didn't seem entirely glad to be here.[/fieldbox]

Maybe it came with the whole 'being friendly with newbies' thing, or maybe Sagitarius just liked the sound of his own voice, but Tsukikage's attention pretty much evaporated part way through. Sure, what he said could be useful, but at the same time, it was definitely more mid-late game orientated stuff. And apparently, from what Rumeus's reactions were to all this, the white-haired girl could tell that he was going to have a long, long history of getting fucked over by pretty much everything until he got to that point.

Nevertheless, a few tidbits from Keter, who was earning more and more points on Tsukikage's scoreboard from his initiative of quest-attaining and information-gathering, as well as Sagitarius's more relevant speech about meat and shit got her thinking. Tossing her own share of meat at A, who seemed the most heavily-armored of the group, she nodded once at the others, and then ran back to town. Distracting the wolves with meat while in the heat of battle was pointless. What they needed was something with a more immediate effect. And that something was…

…pepper spray.

Or, in this universe, at least, it'd be bags of spices, priced at 500 Essence each. She was panting heavily by the time she sprinted back to the group, and was almost surprised at the fact that they hadn't gone out of their way yet. Introducing everyone or something? Whatever. She took a few seconds to regulate her breathing, before slinging her knapsack off her shoulders and pulling out the bags of spices.

"They had odor bombs at 4500 Essence. Bags of spices will do though. More immediate effect. Use meat as bait, use spice as distraction. We can discuss strategy after we get there."

With that, once again, she was first to head off, taking quick, long steps to make up for her short stature.

Ultimately though, for all the walking she did, Tsukikage didn't actually know where the wolves were. All she knew was that the wolf pack was on the boundary of the Forest of Souls, and that this mission technically didn't count as a Dungeon run. Mildly disappointing, but eh, perhaps a quick fight against a bunch of mobs and an elite monster would be useful in drilling some teamwork into these kids. A's relationship with Ova was mildly concerning, but if that pasty white edgelord contributed in some way, that was fine with her.

What ticked her off more was the utter lack of HP that Rumeus STILL had. That meant that even Soren's healing would be useless on him, because he would literally die in a single hit, when they had no effective means of drawing agg-

Oh. They actually did have a method of drawing aggro, didn't they?

Tsukikage stopped, sighting the pack of nine wolves as an idea popped into mind. They were still fifty yards away, and four of those wolves were injured. The trees were relatively tall, and the vision of wolves, at the very least, shouldn't be too amazing. Those gray wolves also weren't monstrously strong or anything like that, and thus, won't be able to topple trees or something stupid. So that meant…

"Let's keep things simple. We have trees, and wolves don't have range. Remember when I said there wasn't a reliable form of taunt, Rumeus? We'll have that reliable form of taunt if we stick meat onto A. We will also have an inviolable barrier in the form of 'distance' if we can get you three paper-thin boys up on the trees. On different ones, of course."

Turning to the blond girl, the albino rogue continued, "I have the ability to stealth, so I'll just find a bush or something. Keter, go help Ova, Rumeus, and Soren up onto the trees. A, when everything's ready, shove some meat down your pants and play dead. We gank the first one that comes here, and go from there."

The girl took a deep breath, before redirecting her gaze to the speedy Earth Ether mage.

"Rumeus, if you see the big wolf stop for an instant too long, go throw a rock at its throat. Its ability to buff is based off its howl. Can't howl if its vocal cords are crushed."

"And feel free to take the meat out of your pants afterwards, A. I'll off-tank for you if you need me to."

Well, all things considered, she was probably the only one capable of off-tanking in this god-forsaken group of glass cannons anyways.

"I'm stuck punching things because a magic build is utter garbage until god knows when." With a slightly annoyed sigh, Keter rolled his fingers and the cestus he wore before he glanced in Tsukikage's direction as she ran off back into town. Not think too much of it, he simply looked between the other members of the party as they sorted things out among themselves, made introductions, and what not.

"Oh, nice idea." He wasn't sure how effective the spices would be given they weren't very powerful, but they'd probably do the trick if someone could nail a wolf in the face with one. Ideally A, who seemed to be outfitted as a tank, would be the ones to carry them and simply pop them whenever enough wolves were around them. Discussion like that could wait once the group was actually on the road though, and with a brief nod towards the rest of the party after Trukikage, Keter began to walk after the shorter player and easily kept pace.

It was surprisingly easy to find the wolves, though of no thanks to any member of the party. Luck simply seemed to be on the party's side as they stumbled across the pack and its injured members. They hadn't seemed to notice the party's presence either thankfully, though that probably had something to do with them advancing upwind. If not, their scent probably would have given them away hundreds of yards away. Close enough to see the blood matted fur and how their chests rose and sank, Keter figured it couldn't hurt to try his Observe to get some hard numbers on the creatures.

As the group squated down to hash out their exact course of action, Keter didn't mind as Tsukikage seized the initiative; after all he was still busy using Observe given the different states of the pack members. When she finished, he nodded in agreement to her plan. There was nothing wrong with the proposed tactics and it seemed to have a fair chance of success. Sticking out of range was a bit cheesy, but then again the smart ideas generally were. "Just a note though, you might actually have to do more than just present a target, A. Not too sure how life-like they've made the game, but their injured members might make the pack less inclined to engage. You'll possibly need to threaten them directly to get a fight from them."

"Also, the Wolves do seem fairly tough. 40 Endurance each, 10 Might, 13 Quick, 8 Finesse and Resillience, and 6 Resistance. The other stats aren't really anything special, but they're not gonna be pushovers. The injured ones have 3 Wounds each, and the one that's almost dead has 6." Hell, only a third of their party members had more Endurance than the creatures, and that was only because Tsukikage seemed to have a buff of some sort active. Probably the potion from the Soul Temple if he wasn't mistaken. "Couldn't figure anything out about the big bad of their group though. With the normal wolves as a baseline though? I doubt Rumeus' Finesse is going to be enough for precision shooting."

"But yeah," and at that point Keter turned to look at the other three males in the party. "If none of you have the Climb Sense, I'll give you guys a boost I guess." At this point he also spared a glance towards Ova and A in turn to use his Observe Art on them.

Last edited:
Urgh, so much explanation and exposition, it was as if Sagitarius couldn't shut up. Whatever, A kept listening more or less to what he had to say. All in all the girl just wanted to have fun and something 1000 items or whatever was probably nothing she would need to care about for a long long time. As in regards to the wolves and meat....wouldn't it agitate them even more? As in regards to their pack mentality.... maybe A could just make herself a necklace out of meat pieces! Though honestly she hoped just badmouthing those silly animals would be enough. Or maybe she should just roast the meat and eat it herself!

"Uhm, thanks." A simply responded as the other female member surrendered her share of food just like that and saw herself off. Accepting the friend-invitation from Rumeus the blonde now started to explain herself. "Surprised to get that name? It's not like anybody has a sole claim to a name! Unless... but having a patent on a person's name sounds really, really stupid." Yeah, really, and even if A couldn't have taken that name she would have simply used Aaaaa or something. "And you don't know anything about that hag either, huh? Looks like she gets to enjoy her sadistic ways just a little bit longer..." Well, so much for that. "And as for my...build? I didn't wanna think too much about mechanics and whatnot so I simply tried to aim for something to go hard or home! You know, nothing of that fancy magic stuff. Though I have to say something that would turn wounds into an advantage would be pretty nifty too! And this game is my first game eeeeevvvveeeer~" Also, didn't SBO advertise something about being able to become anything with one character or so? Not like the washboard would know though... .

With all his questions hopefully answered, A was just about to carry on when Rumeus decided fuel the fire that was probably burning inside Ova. Well, A didn't really plan to harp on about this, but she wouldn't just keep silent after being asked either. "Well, you see, Ova and me, the great A, were in the tutorial dungeon together! And we had to face two of those oh-so-ominous-shadow things!" A had a devious grin on her face as she recalled the better half of that fight, but quickly changed her expression as she continued on. "I pretty much beat up both of them myself.... " The frontliner sighed. "I refuse to waste my time with petty stuff from the past. So let's just roll!"

After what was clearly a way too long time of simply walking around the group apparently found their targets! From what the girl could tell they would be up against 9 enemies, so less than 2 for everybody, meaning they had a pretty huge advantage! Before A could even spend a shred of thought about simply charging in however, which she would probably never ever maybe do, the other girl took charge of the group. Well, fine by her, though playing dead and being silent wasn't really something A wanted to be good at.

"Making some fancy meat jewelry wouldn't have been too bad maybe..." She thought out loud before agreeing with Keter. "And yeah, don't worry! I'll make sure those overgrown hunting targets will only have eyes for the awesome me!" What was an 'off-tank' anyways?[/hr]

uwUj0Gr.png

Rumeus nodded his head in acknowledgment as Keter briefly explained his build. A bit too brief for his liking, but Rumeus didn't press further. Then, A responded to his inquiries. He had nothing to say but had a small smile on his face.

("Even Keter's response was better than this... Well it's good to see an energetic fellow for once.")

Still, A was responsive and he was thankful for that. She continued with her explanation, which caused Rumeus to raise an eyebrow, puzzled.

("Beat two Anti-Shadows by herself...?")

Rumeus wondered if that was exaggeration or truth. Judging from the way Ova reacted, or lack thereof, it seemed to point towards the latter. A bit unbelievable to be honest. Did she use EXP on items instead of stats? Anti-Shadows didn't seem to possess the same items as the originals, so that might have been one way. Rumeus didn't get much time to dwell on it, as he turned to Ova.

"So is what she says more or less the truth...?"

To that inquiry Ova didn't say anything. Rumeus waited a bit longer for a response, but nothing happened.

("Oh great...")

He hoped he would see Ova's good sides, like he did with his other party members, in due time. Thankfully, Tsukikage arrived a few moments later to break the silence. With a few words, she then ran off by herself. Rumeus let out a sigh; it seemed that most of his party members were thirsting to fight. He looked at everyone then jerked his head towards where Tsukikage went. He kept up the pace with the other members, not immediately running off like Tsukikage.

Keter revealed his information about the wolves, which caused Rumeus' eyes to open widely in alarm.

"Waitwaitwait, how do you know this?!"

When Keter revealed that it was due to his Observe Art, Rumeus let out a sigh, but didn't say anything more.

("You know, that's the stuff I wanted you to mention earlier...!")

Rumeus shook his head. What was done was done. It wasn't the time for this. He then looked at Tsukikage. Unlike some of the others, he wasn't as agreeable to her plan.

"That doesn't sound bad, but I do have some concerns about it. These trees are part of the Forest of Souls, if I remember what Sagittarius told us correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled some tricks on us during combat considering the tutorial, so I'd like to test them out a bit first. I know you guys are eager, and we have the Shards that Sagittarius gave us, but that doesn't mean we should just use them here if we don't have to. It shouldn't take that long. Also, why does A need to play dead and shove meat down her pants? It seems a bit unnecessary. Wouldn't just putting the meat by her side and pretending to be asleep work just as well? Would make her more combat-ready too, since she wouldn't have to take meat out of her pants before the fighting starts. Or we could just have A hide in a bush or tree as well and leave the meat out in the open. As for your suggestion of throwing a rock at its throat, I don't think that will work. I'm not that confident in my accuracy even on a target like that, and to hit its throat when I'm up in a tree would prove to be a difficult task, if not impossible."

Rumeus figured that his aim wasn't as bad as Keter thought, since he had the Accuracy Sense; from that, he guessed that Keter couldn't see the Senses or Arts that he held. Still, he didn't bring it up.

"Also, the Wolves' stats concern me. Especially since Keter couldn't get any information about the boss. So we should all drink the vial from the Soul Temple before fighting. If it gives the same bonuses to us as it gives to Tsukikage, it should be immensely useful."

After saying that, Rumeus got up onto a tree with Keter's help and moved around on the tree for a bit, even stomping on the branches at certain points. With no reaction from the tree, Rumeus was satisfied. The party could put their plan into action. Now, it was time to wait and see if the wolves would take the bait.[/fieldbox]

Oh? Tsukikage arced an eyebrow when Keter began to speak about the actual stats that the wolves held. While it originally sounded like the white-haired martial artist had looked up the stats online, after some clarification with Rumeus, it turned out that the Observe sense may have been more useful that Tsukikage thought. Might as well call it clairvoyance or omniscience or something, huh? That's some really useful and immersion-shattering sense…but, ultimately, she didn't have any interest in getting it.

Did bump Keter up to first place on her mental approval rankings though. What a useful supporter, and it explained why he was so prone to staring blatantly at others. At 40 Endurance and 8 Resilience, Tsukikage would be able to one-shot them with a Viper Strike critical, even if they were relatively fast as well. It should be the same for everyone else, really, and as it currently stood, the whole ordeal definitely felt easier than taking on the Anti-Shadow.

It irritated her slightly that Rumeus never mentioned his pathetic accuracy at the start, but then again, maybe her hopes were too high in regards to that guy. After all, it was the same person who thought it would be a good idea to go around with only 6 END. Tsukikage let it go, reconsidered her options in light of all this, and then spoke up once more, even as she found a nice spot to stealth in.

"Point one, A and Keter. Being too much of a threat may just cause the more injured ones to back off and run away. Ideally, you should be seen as easy prey, enough that even the weakened ones are tempted to toy with you."

She looked around to confirm the location once more, ensuring that there was, in fact, nothing going on. Yup, everything was normal forest, instead of trippy ass mindscape.

"Point two, regarding trees. I have no idea what sort of tutorial you had, Rumeus, but the trees were just trees for me, and we are not within the Forest of Souls. We are on the borders, with no mist or other mysterious substances in sight. Feel free to check, but being too paranoid is a pain."

Then, she sighed, wondering whether or not her method of thinking was simply too out there for others, before addressing the third point.

"Point three, regarding the location of meat. Playing dead allows for a certain degree of surprise. Putting meat beneath her clothing means that the wolves can't just snatch it away from beside her with their superior speed and numbers, before running off. Why would she have to take the meat out of her pants? We aren't chasing the wolves, and A is centered on defenses, not dodging. Staying immobile is fine for her, as the main tank."

With all that talking, the wolves surely must of heard them now, but Tsukikage was on a roll, and didn't feel like stopping now.

"Point four, if you have no confidence in your ability to hit, then Ova or Soren, do either of you have the ability to interrupt something like that? Knockback? Silence? I have the ability to debuff the alpha's dodging capabilities, provided I have time to focus on attacking it, so it shouldn't be an issue after awhile."

Of course, it was the final point that made her most irritated, culminating in a facepalm as she suppressed a groan.

"Point five. What the fuck. Why haven't any of you taken those free buffs yet?"

Well, whatever.

Enough bitching.

It's time to kill.

Soren simply listened to the others go on, and on. They were socializing, and sharing information. This is all very interesting. Soren took it all in. Though, he really wasn't going to apply it, or change what he was doing or planning because of it.

"I don't have any CC, nor do I plan on getting any within the near future." Soren revealed a throwing knife, "I will likely hit my mark, more often then Rumeus if his accuracy is low," He slide the knife away, "But my primary role at the moment is healing. Also, I'd rather be in the fray then have any chance of Rumeus being hit. I should be able to at least take one shot, and I can heal myself and others better if I am close to them."

He then looked around, trying to get a better idea of his surroundings.

"Regardless, of what is decided, You guys move in first. Healers should never be the first to act." He looked at Tsukikage, and Rumeus, as they seemed to be the closest things to leaders that the party had.

uwUj0Gr.png

While Rumeus was testing out the tree, he was listening to Tsukikage's response, a bit of surprise when she cursed. Soren then added in his words. A small smile appeared on Rumeus' face.

("She really does like '1,2, and 3', huh? Haha.")

Still up on the tree, Rumeus replied to Soren.

"Though I appreciate the concern, you don't need to worry about me. I'm gonna drink the vial and be up on the tree, so I should be out of harm's way."

He then looked at Tsukikage.

"Well during my tutorial the trees moved and prevented me from going back. Even when I fired an Earth Bullet at them they didn't budge. So I thought it wouldn't hurt to see if these trees would do any similar shenanigans."

Granted, even this test didn't guarantee safety. Rumeus knew it was entirely possible that these trees would only react to a certain trigger or whatnot. Still, it was better than just doing nothing.

"As for the meat... I mean, I think that would be pretty uncomfortable having that in your pants and trying to fight with it. And just because she's the tank doesn't mean she doesn't have to dodge attacks when she's able to. Also, do you think she'll be able to convincingly play dead?"

Judging from his few interactions with A, Rumeus had a niggling feeling that she wouldn't be able to.

"I honestly don't think a person playing dead will be anymore effective than a person pretending to be asleep in attracting the wolves if they're anything close to how wolves behave in reality; the wolves running off with only the meat and not attacking A just because she's sleeping versus playing dead or has the meat on her versus not on her... It just seems a bit too strange, even more so since these wolves are supposed to be 'savage'. That sort of intelligent and cautious behavior is not something I would expect out of a monster mob and more out of a player. As for their retreat from the guard, that's not something that's intelligent, but an instinct found in wolves in nature if their prey is too troublesome to handle."

Rumeus didn't address Tsukikage's possible misunderstanding of his accuracy because he didn't want to antagonize her more than necessary and that it wasn't critical information. It wasn't that his aim was awful, it was that it would be literally impossible to hit the throat of the wolf from his position from the tree. Unless the wolf stood up on its hind legs like a bear or he could bounce an Earth Bullet from the ground, the throat would be impossible to hit. The best he could get is the back of its neck. As for his words of "not that confident in my accuracy", it was because it would be his first time firing from a tree and he had no idea if that boss was actually fast despite its size. Still, his diction was imperfect and didn't help matters.

"As for the buff, it's because from my experience with games, that they don't last forever. Since I wasn't in combat and was in the middle of shopping, I chose to save it for later. I'm sure the others thought along the same lines as well. Is that strange...?"

Rumeus thought that Tsukikage of all people wouldn't make the decision to drink it while in the town. He figured it was either because of some reason he hadn't reasoned out yet, or that she simply made an error. [/fieldbox]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ova was staring at the one taking point as leader. He had honestly not said a word when the party engaged earlier because he didn't know how to respond. He was dealing with a lot of personal issues all of the sudden and it was getting annoying at this point. Though he finally answered, with the question.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I have Wind, I can push the wolves back," Ova told the leader. He wasn't sure how that sound. And his eyes glanced quickly once over at A. Fast enough for A not to see. But there was some fear she would say something about his skill.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Or how much he practically missed. Ova's eyes shook with no confidence for the first time. What was wrong with him? Normally he was confident in his skills. Normally he was confident in what he could do. But now he felt sick. Sick with concern and frustration.[/BCOLOR]

"Maybe if we kill of the Pack Leader before finishing the regular ones off, but if it stays up I'm pretty sure even the injured ones will rally around it. As long as that one doesn't try to bail, the pack will stay alongside."

With a glance towards the clearing where the wolves were, it seemed like the pack was almost about ready to leave the area. As Tsukikage continued to talk, Keter walked over and surveyed some of the nearby trees that weren't too out of position from where A would be baiting the wolves. Finding one that already had natural handholds wasn't too hard and it looked more than sturdy enough to hold his weight. Popping the cork from his vial at that point, he downed the liquid within, and shuddered as the energy rushed through his veins.

Buff applied, he replaced the empty vial into his inventory, and began to haul himself up the tree. He only went slightly more than half a dozen feet upwards. Barely enough foliage to cover him up, but enough that the wolves would probably miss him. A fall shouldn't hurt him at this point either, but then again maybe the mechanics were a bit less forgiving. He'd see soon enough, and he prepared to cast a spell as he waited for A to grab the wolves' attention.

More talking and talking was going on, instead of action, something A wasn't too fond of. "Don't worry don't worry! Staying still is not something I want to be good at." The words she had chosen for that were rather... odd... but fit perfectly. "I'm confident in getting their attention nonetheless!" With those words however, there was something A had totally forgotten. Yeah, that potion from the well or something. Considering she could just refill it later it wouldn't hurt to drink it now, no? Whatever, she would just do it.

Gulping down the potion in one sip, she stuffed it back in the inventory before she directed her voice at Ova. While it was true she did not realize his glance at him, his face was like an open book. "Stop thinking about what you can't do and just do it! Easy as that." Now, is everybody ready? Believe it or not, I actually have one skill to prepare before we engage!" With those words, A also stuffed the meat down her clothes. She wasn't exactly into that.... kind of thing? But this kind of behaviour was exactly one of the reasons she played this 'game', she would have never done something stupid like that in life.

It's like she was surrounded by a bunch of real-lifers who had never played a video game in their entire life. What sort of healer, when faced off against a group of melee enemies, would willingly choose to be in the center of the battlefield? Looking at Soren's END score, which rounded up to a totally shitty 39, Tsukikage couldn't help but die a little more on the inside. Yes, it might be easier for him to heal others if he was down on the ground with the rest of them, but Soren had what, a throwing knife? And he said that his main role was going to be healing? And he had no CC to self-peel?

The white-haired girl narrowed her eyes, a foul expression forming on her face. "Healers that heal themselves are just wasting time. But whatever, do what you want, as long as it isn't something totally retarded like getting into melee range of a wolf."

Surely there had to be better healers in SBO. She won't have to stick around with him forever, hopefully.

Naturally, though, after her words towards Rumeus, the brunette mage had responses as well, eliciting yet another frown from Tsukikage. It was honestly getting tiring now, all this talking, but her sense of 'pride' as a gamer got her speaking regardless. Honestly, democracy really didn't work well in games. People should just shut up and do shit, or leave the goddamn party. Nevertheless, his points were reasonable, to an extent. She just thought of it as stupid still, that he was belittling the AI of monsters so much, when she had gone out of her way to stress that monsters in virtual reality aren't your normal retarded handheld game monsters.

The girl let out a sigh, rubbed her temples, and said, "We can talk all we want about how intelligent animals are, but here's the thing, Rumeus. These aren't savage wolves. These are programmed wolves. I operate under the assumption that they can be as smart as the people that programmed them. You can operate under the assumption that they are dumb mutts. That's your choice, and your poison. As for the buffs though…you realize that it lasts for 48 hours, right? Two whole days? Did you not ask?"

Yeah, he probably didn't ask. Of course, maybe Tsukikage lucked out on this fact anyways, but hey, not like she was going to admit that. Slinking into the shadows once more, she laid in wait, happy, at least, that Ova had hard CC, A was fairly confident in her ability to grab attention, and Keter was…climbing up?

Goddamn, was he a fucking mage? Or was he going to try for a Death From Above maneveur?

Hidden in the bush, Tsukikage closed her eyes, thought about a time where she raided with high-level players who knew what they were doing, and then realized that there was probably going to be some time before she could have that sort of elite experience once more.

Maybe she'll contact Sagittarius, ask if there's any newbie-friendly groups of competent, action-based individuals that she could party with.

uwUj0Gr.png

While Rumeus was waiting for Tsukikage's response, an unexpected voice was heard. Ova's. Rumeus tilted his head slightly in confusion before realizing Ova was responding to his inquiry earlier.

("Geez, so vague.")

Still, Rumeus felt that it would be bad if he didn't say something to Ova's words. Though he was quiet like some of the members in his party, unlike the others, Ova was looking mightily depressed. Not showing positive feedback to this would probably cause Ova to be quiet forever.

"Is that so? That sounds useful. Try to save it for whenever the boss tries to buff rather than on the minions."

He then nodded in agreement when Keter spoke. A then chimed in, confirming Rumeus' suspicions. He smiled and looked at her as she stuffed the meat down her pants.

"Oh man, aren't you convincing?"

Rumeus laughed at the display, but stopped when Tsukikage started to speak. He wasn't convinced by Tsukikage. Just because the programmers were smart doesn't mean that their creations necessarily were. If SBO were realistic as many claimed, certain monsters would be realistic as well; a low level slime displaying high intelligence was a bit unrealistic. And if these wolves were smart enough to just take the meat and run, he assumed the wolves would be smart enough to know that it's a trap and not come in the first place. Especially since it would be in A's pants; not a place where meat is normally stored. Also, it's not like any of the party were concealing their scents, and he doubted the meat's would completely mask theirs. If these wolves were designed intelligently, it wouldn't be a stretch if their noses were good as an actual wolf's.

("Huh, then wouldn't this whole setup be pointless and it'd be no different than confronting them out in the open?")

He kept those thoughts to himself. Especially, after he took Tsukikage's body language and demeanor into consideration, he thought it was not a good idea.

"Fair enough. And as for the buff, nope. I didn't ask, but it didn't really matter to me."

So Rumeus decided with a safe response. He could have pressed Tsukikage further on the potion buff, which he decided was probably a mistake on her part from her explanation, but refrained from doing so for the aforementioned reasons. He thought he had a general grasp on his party's personalities; if A were to do something like that, he would not be so reserved. [/fieldbox]

So we are going with this plan then, and that is all? Soren watched the others get into position, and heard Rumeus' response, to which Soren simply nodded. I like that one, I'll make sure he lives. He then looked over to Tsukikage, I don't like that one, mistakes may happen, 'new players' often slip up in crucial moments due to panic, it will make for an interesting event to watch. He then watched A stuff herself with the meat. I don't know what I am supposed to think about that...

Soren stepped back a bit, and looked for a place to hide. He would remain passive till needed.

The group had good groundwork laid out. They discussed plans, applied buffs, discussed abilities, and even had some people up in trees. It all seemed like a rather good setup. If only they hadn't been so vocal and taken so long to discuss it. After all, this isn't an anime, the enemy wasn't going to wait for them. Plus wolves had both excellent hearing and excellent sense of smells, and the players were about thirty yards away from them or so.

And now they had all perked up, the leader staring in the direction of the party now. Its eyes narrowed, and its sharp fangs showed as it began to growl. Now that the leader was on alert, so too was the rest of the pack. The wounded wolves seemed to move slightly more towards the back as the rest got into what appeared to be some sort of hunting formation as they were now beginning to move closer to the party's position.

Unfortunately they all smelled, and saw, A laying/standing there and smelled the raw meat on her and the leader, who was standing towards the back, now suddenly gave a powerful howl as it stamped its off colored paw with the 'x' shaped mark on it onto the ground. That mark suddenly began to glow a color that was familiar to Soren, the rest of the pack's eyes seeming to respond in kind as now they all appeared to have much more ferocity in their growls.

The color was a vivid red, like fire, but the outline to it had a black shimmer. Their pupils only shone with this color for a moment, but the mark on the leader's paw continued to glow. It was apparently using some kind of strange power, but what it did was impossible to tell. It did seem to make the wolves more ferocious, however, judging from how the three wounded ones charged forward now, their legs each pumping with force that was taken them straight at A. The other five seemed to start moving in two groups of three to the sides, a three prong attack formation, with three wounded wolves bounding and lunging straight for A, their eyes filled with savagery and hunger as they were aiming to lunge right for her torso where the meat was being kept.

Luckily A was able to avoid all three attacks and, if she so chose, was in the position to get a neat counterattack on one of them, but was still being surrounded.

The other two groups seemed to notice Ova and Soren's hiding places now as they were now directly honing in on them, two on Soren and three on Ova, the eyes of all of the wolves occasionally pulsating with that strange, but familiar to Soren, glow.

The battle had begun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.