Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on joining this as well, hit what was probably the great wall of China in my process of creating a character. I shall carry on however, as I would be quite embarrassed to let down my friends in this way. Though that isn't to say that I believe my comparably scanty writing will be up to snuff ;b

That won't stop me from giving it a good shot though.

Reactions: Valentyne
Hopefully this works.
Name:Rue Caligo
Appearance:
Rue has a rather stout body, well built with muscle and intimidating in stature. She stands at 183 cm and weighs 80 Kilograms. She is fair-skinned and has short, straw-colored hair that is pulled back into a short ponytail. Her expressive green eyes carry a subtle sorrow that is hard to detect beyond their normal bright exterior. She bears no significant scars despite her experience, betraying her skills. Rue's mark is located on the back of her neck, sloping down with her spine.

Although Rue rarely takes off her equipment, her casual clothing consists of simple and comfortable garments that usually feature dark greens accented by red. Rue's armor is simple but effective. It consists of a chainmail suit reinforced by several pieces of steel plate armor and leather straps, complete with pauldrons, grieves, breastplate, and bracers. Completed by a black tunic with the Archangel's symbol on its front. This combination of armor types helps provide good protection without sacrificing too much mobility. Angel tears and other such items are stored in her two side pouches.
Personality:
" Take heart friend, for no matter how long the night seems to last, the sun will always rise again."
Rue has taken it upon herself to align her behavior to that of the venerable knights that existed long before the world went to hell. She aims to reach that idealic image of bravery, hope, and loyalty that those warriors represented in the distant past. As such she holds herself to a strict set of morals and does her best to treat others well. Rue is a rather humble being overall, only giving herself as much credit as her station of power garners. Her one source of pride is in her own symbolic purpose as a symbol for hope in the new world.

Rue's somber side is well hidden by her rather convincing Jovial facade. It is sometimes so convincing that she believes in it herself on occasion. It is all for the purpose of keeping a high morale, as she considers that just as important as good health. In times of great stress her true nature can slip through and reveal a quieter and more soft-spoken person hidden underneath the bright exterior. These times are few and far between however, as her renowned vigilance prevents many personal mistakes.

Although Rue has experienced her fair share of tragedy and hardship like many others in the occupation of a seeker, she has never let that shake her core values or let her willingness to strive forward waver. If anything the hardship she has faced over her many trips into the old world have served to only further solidify her will. She often claims that the source of her willpower comes from her faith in the Archangel, which is partially true. She also derives a great deal of strength from the other seekers she works with. The strong loyalty she feels for them makes Rue ignore any lingering doubts and fears that would normally chip away at her competence. While this makes her quite a formidable opponent, her psyche can become rather fragile if something puts her faith into question. All it would take is another few friend meeting a quick end for her mind to slip into a deep madness.

History:
The early days of Rue's childhood were not unlike that of the other residents of the mountain city. Although she and her family weren't especially well off, they could afford to live normally. The capacity to lead a normal life was no common commodity, which Rue was often reminded of when she found life under a set of blue collar workers to be dull. "Dull is good" the two of them would say, " Better than living day in and day out with your life on the line." She understood what they meant and respected their words, but she couldn't help but feel as though there should be more to life than simply surviving. Rue craved change more than anything, day to day life in the mountain city came to be as predictable as the sun's path across the sky everyday. Something, anything, would be better than the existence she lived. In the years to come she came to wholly regret those feelings.

Not long after her twelfth birthday, Rue's parents left home for another days work in expanding the city. That was the last time she ever saw them. She waited alone in the darkened house for a very long time, patiently awaiting their return. Minutes stretched into hours and hours stretched into days. A knock at the door finally came, but it wasn't who she was hoping for. It was another worker, who had come to deliver grim news. Her parents, along with a few others, had been slaughtered by one of the judged while out gathering building materials near the base of the mountain. It was unclear how a judged creature made it so close to the city, but the damage had already been done. She was allowed to attend their funeral before being carted away to an
orphanage.
Conditions at the orphanage were not ideal, food was minimal, the attendants were largely apathetic, and chances of adoption were slim. Rue was back in the cycle of living for the sake of survival. Though just as all hope seemed to be lost once again, the hands of fate guided her out of the cycle and into a new direction. Months after life in the orphanage, the mark of the tower appeared on the back of her neck. This led her to being taken under the wing of an elderly seeker, one of the original few no less, who had retired from an active position in the scouting force. He took it upon himself to turn Rue into a seeker worthy of replacing him.

Seeing her as a an unmolded piece of clay to be sculpted into a masterpiece, he subjected her to hellish training. Her skills didn't align well with that of a hunter or a keeper, so she focused on honing her body to its peak condition. Rue would be worked until she neared the edge of death, time and time again until he was satisfied that she was ready for practical training. He took her out to untouched wilderness, where they sparred for several weeks. He was old, but relentless. It seemed as though the moment her eyes drifted shut from exhaustion, he would appear in front of her with a knife poised to slit her throat. These free-form battles in the forest served not only to further solidify her skills with weaponry, but also strengthened her cunning and vigilance. Eventually Rue became an even match with the old seeker, and was able to sweep through the seeker training with ease.

Once she was a fully fledged Seeker, her adoptive mentor passed on his weapons and rainment to her and gave her his blessing in her future expeditions. Overwhelmed with a new sense of hope and drive, she took on her first real trip as a seeker at full strength. The grueling training she undergone throughout her adolescence prepared her for the physical struggles of the journey, but nothing could have saved Rue from the mental strain that Seeker's faced on their quest.

Rue's first mission was supposed to have been a simple one. They were to sweep through a largely clear city in search of small group of seekers that had been sent to the area a while ago, who had yet to return. Her group was wary, but confident that it would be a simple-search and rescue. There was little sign of the seekers around the city, and they were beginning to lose hope of finding them. Just as they were about to give up, Rue found one of the missing seekers holed up in an old church. She had been dead for a while, long enough to have gone stiff and for her blood to have dried up. The only thing Rue could find on her was a hastily scrawled note that read "leave the cellar." Rue called the others and they searched the immediate area for the 'cellar', quickly finding a heavy steel hatch that was hastily sealed. They mulled over their options and decided to search the Cellar, seeing it as their only real lead towards finding the rest of the seekers.

Upon going down into the humid room below the hatch and lighting up the area they found a sprawling system of catacombs that went far underground and opened up into a very large chamber. Once they lit up the final chamber they discovered the fates of the remaining Seekers. They were all there, torn into unrecognizable pieces by an amorphous warlock who seemed to have formed to the walls. Before they could escape the room, the warlock slid from its position and covered the entrance with its body. The group threw everything they had at the warlock, trying to overwhelm it enough to get it to retreat from the exit. They succeeded in wounding the warlock, but not without significant cost to the team. Rue's fellow warrior had been beheaded and a hunter was impaled by multiple spines. Rue and a keeper of the tower had both sustained minor injuries, but were still in action. She was rapidly losing her grip on reality as everything had gone so catastrophically out of hand. Rue went forward and attacked the warlock head on in a last ditch effort to escape.

The fight was brutal, faced between two different kinds of beasts that were both running on instinct. In the end Rue was able to defeat the wounded warlock, but she had ended up covered in countless wounds and several punctured organs. As she laid down in a pool of her own blood, vision quickly fading, she started to feel a great sense of peace. Her death wasn't in vain, another seeker would live on because of her. She closed her eyes and waited for everything to fade away, but it seemed that this was not the end. Rue felt all of her strength return and her pain fading away. She looked around in confusion before realizing what had happened, a cold and heavy stone settling inside her stomach. The keeper was curled up on the ground, heat already having left him as he slipped away into death.

Rue stood amid the carnage, feeling a heavy mixture of guilt and betrayal. She was trained to be a knight , and to be cheated of an honorable death felt horribly wrong. She couldn't imagine going back now, knowing that she failed all of her comrades. Suffering no injuries no less. Rue held shaking hands over her face and wailed miserably like a child.

Eventually she calmed down enough to leave the area and return to the mountain city with the news of their complete loss. Though they were devastated by the news, she was surprised to see that they didn't blame her for the loss. Rue only felt worse at this, feeling like she was getting off scot-free for a terrible failure on her part. They allowed her to take a break from service for a while, leaving her to reflect for what felt like an indefinite amount of time. With all of this excess time to think things over, Rue was eventually able to come to terms with the failure and use it as a grim reminder to keep her from forgetting her mistakes. With it always in the back of her mind she could find resolve to always keep improving to ensure something like that never happened again. Her will to keep on living would no longer be her survival, but for others.
With this new mantra, she slowly rose to become one of the top seekers.

Class: Warrior
Brand: Tower
  • Using the Angellight Arcanum, a Seeker can shed a soft white light from their hand to illuminate their surroundings (with a maximum radius of around ten meters) or concentrate to create temporary glowing stars about the size of their fist, which shed the same illumination and can be carried or caused to hang as a fixture in the air. This star requires most of a Seeker's focus to maintain, and cannot be sustained while doing anything else that requires one's concentration, such as fighting or reading. Angellight is also used to charge glowcarved weapons and create Angel's Tears (see Weapons and Tools).
  • Archangel's Blessing is a passive Arcanum that grants several benefits that define all Seekers. It grants superhuman strength, agility, and speed that allows Seekers to match the inhuman abilities of the Judged, immunity to the curse which hangs over the Old Lands and transforms normal humans and animals into monsters, and a healing factor that allows Seekers to recover from wounds quickly. This regeneration can close flesh wounds in a matter of minutes, as well as restoring more serious injuries, such as broken bones and deep cuts, in several hours. Seekers can still die from blood loss if the flow isn't staunched long enough for the wound to close, and although they can heal damaged internal organs with time, they still die if, for example, their heart is destroyed.
  • This Arcanum allows a Seeker to create a shining opaque wall of angellight, up to ten meters long and five meters high. Seekers can pass through it without harm, but it blinds and ignites any Judged creature that touches it.
  • While concentrating on this Arcanum, any glowcarved weapon the Seeker holds in their hand is instantly charged. Additionally (whether concentrating or not) the user can charge a weapon normally at a range of ten meters, instead of being required to hold it. Seekers often use this Arcanum to support bearers of the Sword, recharging their weapons after their companion discharges them, and hunters of the Tower utilize Quick Charge to instantly charge arrows and other projectiles, saving the time of charging the weapon before every shot.
  • A Seeker can use the Shine Gravity Arcanum to cause a Judged creature within twenty meters to glow with angellight. While the Seeker concentrates, any projectile based Arcana that pass within ten meters of the target curve and strike it unerringly, moving around obstacles to find the quickest clear path to the affected creature.

Equipment:Rue's equipment consists of two glow-carved weapons and a steel heater-shield, along side her suit of armor and set of four Angel's tears. Both weapons were old pieces of equipment first used by her mentor. One is a large, double-edged broadsword named Old Scratch. The other is a steel partisan, named God's Call, that is strapped to her back alongside her shield.
Other Notes:None
Player:SolarFlare

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is basically Survivor's Guilt the RP now, right? I guess it goes well with the theme but still it's hilarious how similar these characters are in that respect.

I would like to join if possible. This is interesting! I'll create a character as soon as possible. *^*

Reactions: Valentyne
@SolarFlare Looks good! Seeker patrols make attacks by Judged creatures outside of the Judgement rare, but not unheard of.

The order almost never allows a Seeker to train without attending the academy proper, but it's the kind of boon that they would grant to one of the original Seekers, so it works.

On mobile, I'll add it to the index tonight although I may remove the excessive bold when I do

@Snowflake Well, it is gothic horror. It wouldn't be complete without painful psychological trauma~

@SolarFlare Looks good! Seeker patrols make attacks by Judged creatures outside of the Judgement rare, but not unheard of.

The order almost never allows a Seeker to train without attending the academy proper, but it's the kind of boon that they would grant to one of the original Seekers, so it works.

On mobile, I'll add it to the index tonight although I may remove the excessive bold when I do

@Snowflake Well, it is gothic horror. It wouldn't be complete without painful psychological trauma~
I might just have not made it totally clear, but she did attend the academy after personal training. Basically I attempted to imply that she breezed through academy training considering her prior experience. Sorry to be unclear on that.

Also I just copy-pasted the character skeleton as it was, guess I dun goofed once more.

Also I just copy-pasted the character skeleton as it was, guess I dun goofed once more.
No problem, I'll fix the formatting when I copy it. It's probably just an open bbcode somewhere.

It's in progress! I'll have it done by Sunday, tops. I'm sorry for the delay. I have been busy x.x

I want to get the IC posted tomorrow, but there will be some leeway when it goes up. We'll be starting as the characters enter Tenemous, and I doubt that we'll get so far before you finish so as to make it implausible to say that you were there all along.

I am done! I hope this is enough x.x

Name: Guinevere Laskaris

Appearance: Standing at 5'4", Gweyn, as her peers called her, weighed around 140 pounds. She was lithe and nimble, enabling her to move with ease and grace, almost as if her feet never touched the floor. From young, her grandmother had thought her the etiquette of the old world; how the aristocrats carried themselves, how they movements were as graceful as a swan, how quiet their footsteps were. These teachings proved to be an asset to her when she became a seeker.

Her ocean blue almond shaped eyes were always full of curiosity and hunger to learn more about the world around her, eagerly absorbing every details and knowledge presented to her. Silver hair framed her oval like face, falling short of her shoulders, her bangs hid the brand that formed on her forehead. She would not say she was not proud to carry the brand, no. She was simply self conscious for it would attract too much attention to her and she didn't like that.. She was not beautiful to begin with, only blessed with fair and flawless skin. Thus, she preferred to keep it hidden and not let it be on display. She would only trim her bangs enough so that it would not hinder her sight but the length would be adequate to hide the brand.

Other than that, she was plain in all ways, down to the way she dressed. She usually simple dark coloured tunics, matching with the soft cotton pants she often used. They were nonrestrictive and easy to move in, lessening the amount of unnecessary actions she would make as she transited from one to the other. She may not be heavily combative, but she valued practicality and time over anything else. The less time used to do something, the more her time could be used to acquire knowledge.

Personality: As was said, Gweyn was always hungry for new knowledge and seeking the answers to her questions. She was curious over how humans had lived before this and the stories from her grandmother was never adequate, in her opinion. Not even books could satiate her. She wanted to live and experience it herself! She wanted to be there and see with her own eyes. She could not help but wonder how it would be like if she was born then. Her curiosity was ever boiling and filled her to the brim. She wondered why they were so greedy and what drove them to do such an incorrigible action. Did they not think of the consequences? Did they not think that they would not be judged? Were they courageous or just reckless? Why would they risk it all? These were the reasons that drove her to be a seeker. She desired understanding of their life, their behaviour and their reasons. Becoming a seeker was the only way she could go out on the field herself.

Her drive for knowledge however, had caused to become a loner. When she first entered the academy to train, her snobbish attitude towards the warriors and hunters were not exactly received well. She thought they were loud and rowdy brutes who did nothing but swing swords and brag about their achievements. Time wasters, she thought they were. She could not deny that they were important to ward away the judged, she simply could not stand their rowdy behaviour.

After her first expedition though, her attitude had changed and she became more friendly and approachable, realising the importance of teamwork and the different factions of seekers. She was more aware of the significance of their hard work and why they would brag about it. They were not easy feats after all.

History: From the day she was born, Gweyn was brought up and raised by her grandmother. She had never known her parents but according to her gramps, her mother died because she was weak and the child birth took a toll on her. Shortly afterwards, her father killed himself, unable to stand the grief of his wife's death.

Despite that, Gweyn was not hung up on not having any parents for she had a fruitful life with her grandmother who taught her everything she knew, from reading to writing and bits and pieces of the olden days. Her grandmother encouraged her curiosity and with their limited resources, she tried her best to raise Gweyn well and feed her interest. She was loved by her grandmother who doted on her and to her, her grandmother was both her mother and father as well. She was who fed Gweyn the dreams to become a seeker, telling her of their extra ordinary feats and their achievements; the relics they found and their expeditions in the world below.

She was eleven when her brand first appeared, excitement coursing through her upon receiving it. Her dreams were then within reach. She packed the meager belongings she had and bade her grandmother farewell before getting herself admitted into the academy where she focused on magic training and scrolls rather than weaponry, only taking basic classes like dagger throwing. Throughout the years, she devoted herself to her studies, finding fascination at creating gylphs and polishing her wall of light.

Her first expedition was not impressive and went badly. Due to her uncooperative attitude and arrogance, her team got into massive danger and almost everyone got badly injured. By activating two Arcana at one time, her energy depleted quickly and they could not be sustained. She could do nothing but stood with fright as the judged came upon her, leaving her teammates to fend against the creature. Despite managing to secure the relic and defeat the Judged, the blows they received were fatal. They came back bloodied and bruised. It was a sombre victory and her teammates cursed at her upon their return.

With lesson learnt, the female started being more serious on taking up the dagger and crossbow as well developing Sacrifice as an atonement for her sins. It took her two years before she went on her second expedition, the last still fresh in her mind. Despite not excelling and not being the focus of attention, she became the core of defense, feeling the responsibility of the life of her teammates upon her shoulder. While activating the the Wall of light herself and letting another seeker to activate the glyphs she drew, they managed to reduce the usage of energy and increased the efficiency of defence. The victory was more joyful as they managed to finish the expedition with little to no casualty. Praised for her solid defense, the female secured a position in the Tenemous expedition.

Class: Keeper
Brand: Tower
Equipment: Other than the basic necessities, the female brought along her flying daggers, crossbow and arrows as well as three vials of angel tears.
Other Notes: none
Player: @Esmeralda Blackheart

Last edited:
Two really quick things. Firstly, the Seekers don't consider their Brands magic; magic refers specifically to shadow Arcana, which the warlocks of old used, which brought on the Judgement. This is the minorest of complaints; you don't need to change anything, just a terminology note.

The other is a similarly small issue; I realize now this wasn't very clear in the desc, but Arcana are natural talents, not learned. They develop at a more or less random pace; most Seekers get two or three fairly quickly and then it takes a long time for any more to manifest themselves. So she couldn't decide to learn Sacrifice; it would have developed on its own. This pretty much only requires you to change that one line.

Accepted, though~ I'll update the index when you fix that one thing.

Also, since I'm talking about this anyway, yes, the Seekers will gain new Arcana throughout the story. Everyone will have six by the end, but the last two will be drawn from lists besides what I've already posted. Shh, you'll learn about the other Arcana soon enough.

EDIT: I just realized, we have a perfectly balanced party of two hunters, two warriors, and two keepers~

Alright. I've changed it ^^

So I went to add Guinevere to the index, saved it, and glanced over it to find it cut off near the end. I seem to have, uh, maxed out the character count or something on that post. I'm going to transfer the first couple characters to the first post and make the second "Character Index Cont." (´・ω・`)

Also, the IC thread is almost done! I will definitely have it up tonight.

EDIT: Upon further examination of the problem, it was not a character limit or anything like that.

It was just me. Being dumb.

I didn't close the tabs bbcode when I added Arcana descs to her profile while adding it, so it was cutting off everything beneath her Arcana. The index is wonky atm, in the process of fixing the mess I made.

_| ̄|○

EDIT2: Okay, everything should be fixed now. Someone please slap me.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Sounds good ^~^ I'm excited for us all to start!

When can we start? Can't wait!

We have started; the IC is up, go ahead and post~

Oo. I did not see that. My bad x.x I'll post ASAP. Probs tonight(it's morning here). I'm spending time with my family now.

Status
Not open for further replies.