Status
Not open for further replies.
Is... there a reason why the singular and plural forms of their name have such vastly different endings? These look like separate classifications of a creature with multiple sub-species, rather than plural and singular forms of the same noun...

Ok, so, there's nothing wrong with the descriptions of the powers themselves, but the formatting is really a bit much to look at. Do you think that maybe the powers could be separated by an extra line between them? Or maybe you could bold the names of each ability? Or put them in a bulleted list?

Actually, now that I think about it, the whole wall-of-text thing can easily be applied to the entire race sheet as a whole. It isn't as bad when the names of each field are there to sort of break things up, but, yeah, overall, this is a bit hard to read, and it could benefit from having a bit more formatting to break up certain chunks of text. o_o

I just realized you said you planned on adding fancy BBcoding later. Oops. Still, though, for future reference, I would prefer that even the 1st draft of a race sheet include something to break up these chunks of text -- whether that's extra line breaks, bolded headings, or whatever else is up to you. It doesn't have to be fancy, just... something to make it a bit more readable, please.

I'm assuming you had originally called this race "mermaids"/"mermen" before changing it to what you have now? :P I would suggest proofreading a bit more thoroughly to make sure you catch and change all the instances of "mermaids"/"mermen", for consistency's sake.

You're going to have to explain to me what you mean by "cursed thawed-wax", because I really don't understand what the males are supposed to look like. o.o"

I'm sorry, but you can't say something like, "all of this is based on X mythology, except for a few changes", because that assumes that everyone here either already knows what that is, or is willing to research it on their own time, which is unrealistic for a number of reasons. I need you to explain the parts of this mythology that are present here. Explain these creatures and their culture the way you would explain it to someone who has no idea what "Slavic multi-pantheon and totemism" is.

^ I will admit that it's sort of my fault that this wasn't emphasized from the start, and it would be unfair to get annoyed with you specifically, since you've been offline during all the time I've spent saying the exact same thing in response to everyone else's race sheets, but... yeah. If I'm being completely honest, I'm getting tired of repeating myself. XD

Point is, that lore won't work. It needs re-working.

I know this has already been stated, but, for sake of completeness in reviewing this race sheet -- yeah, the word you're looking for is "pansexual", not "pansexualic".
1. Yes, because their lifestyle is determined by them being in group, or alone. Loners are naturally more brute (gender doesn't matter), while group fishes are more relying on group, rather than on themselves.
2. Will soon add!
3. Excuse me, I was writing it in a rush, trying to fit all information I was having in mind, and eventually forgot it.
4. Well, it's kind of hot-wax skin, and some sharp bone-spikes sticking out of it.
5. Excuse me, as again, I was in rush and didn't understand that.
6. Will change. How about Palus Syreni was major figure in pre-historic and medieval Slavic culture, but eventually faded as a myth?
7. Grammar is not my thing usually, so I'm sorry.

@Kagayours ...

There, done! Did a few more things, and fixed the Character Sheet link for Deen's description. Not sure it was broken, before, but after my initial edit, it was. Let me know if I've covered your questions/concerns.

OPEN SIGNUPS - Omnibus Academy

Oh, what the hey! A few pics:

ThoeeDEEN_zip_1.png

DevonTHOEE_sketchcopy.png

DeenDevelopmentNumbermeep.png

BettsDEEN_sketch.png

Yes, artist forgot their forehead "badges" in all these pics... sorry!

-------

Last edited:
Well, I mean, you can't say that dragons and humans were never on earth at the same time -- or else, how would you have dragons in this RP...? :P

But yeah, if the dragons were supposed to exist during, like, dinosaur time, then that definitely changes things. The whole bit about humans having an instinct to submit to them made it sound like dragons would've existed when humans were evolving, or perhaps when they'd already 'finished' evolving but hadn't really formed societies or anything yet. And if that's when the dragons were supposed to have thrived, then, well, you can see how that's an issue. XD

If the time gap is that big, then that actually solves most of the other issues I had with this. That being said, you should really edit your race sheet to make it clear when exactly the Draconian Empire was a thing. Like I said, the only thing I recall seeing in there that painted any picture of what time frame this was supposed to be, was the misleading bit about humans evolving with an instinct to obey dragons. o_o"

Ehhhh... I guess....? I dunno, man, I guess I'll think on it until you can re-write your race sheet and all that.

Yeah, and some of the descriptions for individual types of dragons aren't that bad, but then the general description for dragons as a whole is like,

There's a lot to talk about here, so I'll use bullet points:
  • You literally declared that their physical strength, speed, durability, and regenerative capabilities go far beyond any life native to earth. That's a whole lot of qualities to make them definitively outranked in. Like, ok, you want to make dragons super strong? That's cool. But definitively saying that nothing on earth is better than them in all of the listed categories? I don't know if I like that -- especially since dragons aren't the only magical creatures native to earth, and it seems a bit unfair that the dragons can claim dibs at being "literally the best at almost everything"
  • "There is no color of light they cannot see" -- I'll admit, the first time I read this, I thought you meant wavelengths of light -- which definitely made this part sound pretty ridiculous, as I can only imagine what an acid trip it would be for every wavelength on the EM spectrum to appear as visible light. :P But then I realized you technically didn't say anything about wavelengths, only colors. But that begs the question... what would it be like to see every color of light? We humans can only even conceptualize the limited range of colors that we can see -- and that limit comes from both the number of color-receptors in our eyes, and the range of EM wavelengths that are visible to us. A mantis shrimp, for example, has far more color receptors than we do. We cannot even imagine what colors a mantis shrimp sees. But if we assume that more color receptors means being able to see more colors, then that implies a theoretically infinite number of colors. How would we ever be able to say that any creature can see "every" color? I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but, the point remains, this is just one example of how everything's worded to put dragons at peak perfection... even when it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
  • "no frequency of sound they cannot hear" -- I don't know quite enough about the science of sound to evaluate whether or not that statement makes any sense, but, my point remains -- there's a whole lot of "the X ability of a dragon is 100% perfect and cannot be bested by anything" in this description...
  • The whole thing about dragons only growing more powerful as they age is... meh. When you think about it, it really does allow for the possibility of a dragon's power really spiraling out of control and reaching precisely the ridiculous levels detailed here, but, eh... so long as they aren't generally described as being so perfect, I might let it slide.
And the worst part is, being supreme magical and physical beings doesn't even seem that central to the concept of a dragon... Like, yeah, dragons are definitely supposed to be strong and incredibly magical, according to most lore. But a lot of this description makes them sound like gods more than anything else.

And, the reason why I don't want to put any hard limits on what sort of power levels things can have is precisely because I wouldn't be surprised if we have characters later on who are literal gods. In which case, them having a ridiculous amount of power is considerably more excusable, because, well... having limitless power is sort of central to the concept of a god.

And even then, the way I judge godmoddy potential has more to do with the way that something is written than anything else... It's possible to write a race sheet for gods without harping on every little thing that's so perfect about them. You can say that a being is incredibly powerful without making it sound like you're trying to cover up every possible chink in the armor. But this race sheet is written such that it sets off those red flags of trying to make this creature sound like it is the literal best at absolutely everything, and listing all the ways that it is completely un-matched. And unlike literal gods, the dragons don't even have that good of an excuse, imo.

You can make them strong. That's fine. Just not... absurdly perfect, you know?

The part about them having a super-strong sense of smell is fine, though. I didn't see anything wrong with that statement.
I had been operating under the assumption that magical life was something inherently otherworldly, and that Omnibus was placed on earth due to it being a neutral ground of sorts. Looking over things, I've got no fucking clue where I got this idea from. Thusly, when I refer to life native to earth, I'm talking about sharks, tigers, and elephants and shit like that. Natural, non-magical things that can't breathe fire or shoot lasers. A dragon is way stronger than an elephant, and flies way faster than a falcon. Admittedly, this is kind of a given, so...

I understand that this was quite unclear, so this is an obvious priority fix. I'll get to it, I promise.

Just a quick lesson on color/wavelengths, (don't worry, I'll keep it light) they're basically the same thing, for most purposes. It's more complicated than that, but that's the elevator version.
[spoili]
14NewLight.jpg
[/spoili]
Being able to see all colors would mean that you could see all the various wavelengths, from ultraviolet to infared. Now, I was assuming that magical effects took priority over science and shit, because otherwise we'd have to figure out some way for creatures like Slyphs to pull kinetic energy out of their ass for their aerokinesis. So going from one assumption to another, I assumed that magical effects of darkness and what not would overrule having radical, special eyes. The dragons can see through any non-magical darkness, is what this amounts to.

I guess what I'm trying to get at with my race sheet is that a dragon isn't an inherently magical creature in the same way that a Devo would need to be in order to exist in a sensible way. They're natural creatures with a knack for casting spells.

Unless the RP covers a time period of hundreds of years, I don't think that their scaling power is really going to be relevant, unless other people decide to come in and make a multi-millennium old dragon, which would be an issue to work out with them.

This is probably going to really annoy you if you haven't seen this show, but, is this comparable to the "perception filter" from Doctor Who? Where the person using the perception filter is technically not invisible, per se -- it's just that everyone around them usually fails to notice them?
SEP feild, Somebody Else's Problem, because its not your problem to deal with you don't notice it. great for hiding things like space ships, aliens, those awkward moments at the dinner party where the in-laws turn up. or entire mountains after you painted them pink.

Also, I miss anything important?

Ok, so I know it isn't really my place to step in and go "No you are wrong." ect I'm going to just give my opinion as a engineer/bio-scientist as well as someone who has a whole fucklot of reading in to mythology and lore.
Lets start with the 'faster than a falcon stronger than a elephant' deal. Dragons are on average, Immense creagures, huge, strong, and without a doubt deadly. However, with size comes a issue, Flight control. a good comparison to this is a seagul and a sparrow-hawk a seagul has a wingspan of about 60cm to 1.4m (dependent on species) and a sparrow hawk has a much shorter wingspan of 35cm, this allows for tighter turns, higher control, faster dives Ect. now, you said you wanted dragons to be non magical yes? well, that's coo, I can get behind that. but in that case, the laws of aerodynamics are going to hold true to you. the bigger you are, the slower and more lumbering you are. On the upside, you can glide for fucking ever. because albatross.

Next on the agenda, this argument with colours and wavelengths. a 'Colour' is a definition of a given wavelength within the visible spectrum of light. this would mean by your description, a dragon has much higher colour reception rates than a human, which is fine, they can just see in higher detail with more contrast. That kinda makes sense, because most dragons hunt from the sky. However, seeing every spectrum at once? lets just get in to the most minute of minutia here. EMR. Electromagnetic radiation, The radiation of light. is at its most fundamental level, magnetic waves. This means, by seeing EVERY frequency, dragons will go blind any time anyone waves a magnet in their general direction, not to mention the earths own magnetic field. or the CBR (Cosmic Background Radiation) which would make everything look like its being seen through a bad TV reception. I could understand seeing in UV and Infra red for hunting reasons, but (again going back to all natural) where is the evolutionary advantage of seeing EVERY frequency of light?

Freequency of sound, Ok, see above discussion, sound is just compression waves in the air, so a dragon would be able to hear some CRAZY SHIT, like the micro-compression and expansion caused by electrons running through wires, so every building with electricity would have such a hum that a dragon could get a migraine. somone just WAVING would cause sound for a dragon, the day to day life of a city would be like someone putting white noise speakers either side of your ear and turning up to concert levels of loudness.

Next up: Magic, Ok, so I can understand wanting dragons to use magic, its well....DRAGONS right? but a 'limitless pool of magic energy' ? Let me just give you afew examples of what could be done with that: Earthquakes, Tsunami's, Stop the above, Resurect the dead, Obliterate countries, Reshape the moon. maybe put some kind of cap on it? just to stop someone going "Ok I am going to be a vengeful 10 million year old dragon. POOF you're all dead."

"Lesser earthbound creatures find themselves...." See point on magic, Maybe only non sentient creatures? rather than including humans? just because this makes it possible for dragon characters to FORCE human characters to do what they want. I know you said it can be resisted, but with infinite magic and 'compulsion' as a free 'at will' ability.....leaves a lot of room for asspull. "Oh we need x? I'll just have my human slave go grab it."

On another note, I REALLY want to finish off some of the races you missed off the list, like eastern dragons, Primal Dragons, Arctic and desert dragons ect. When your'es gets accepted can I start dropping dragon-types on you?

@Kagayours
You want further explanation of Slavic culture? You fuqin' get it.
I changed a lot of my Dorbynia application, and will soon add a character sheet.

Since I have time and Internet, I'll just post this up.

Name singular: 1-0 (Pronounced one zero)

Name plural: 1-0s

Powers/Abilities: Ability to go back and forth between the digital realm and the real world, regeneration as long as they absorb enough data to replace the lost data though the process lasts several weeks, able to feed on all kinds of data

Lifespan: Unknown, though they've been around since the 1950s and none have died due to old age as of yet.

Short description: A race that is able to feed on all kinds of data, they are seen as viruses among other races for their ability to feed on data created by real life users.

Physical description: Look human in appearance, but can have any color for eyes and hair, ex. Blue hair, white eyes, etc. Their skin ranges from pure black to pure white, with normal human race colors in between. They have tattoos on their skin that show which class they are in. Blue is upper class, yellow is middle class, and red is lower class. Their bodies are sexless and they can choose which gender they want to be. If one wanted to reproduce, they would use bits of their own data and mingle it with their partner to form another being, though the data has to be enough to make the baby. This usually leads to the loss of a limb, though they can regenerate it so long as they have access to data to feed on. Gender doesn't matter when it comes to reproduction. They are capable of consuming all kinds of data within the digital realm, be it a vegetable, a rock, or something created by users that use the Internet.

Cultural description: 1-0 live in cities they built for themselves, these cities scattered across the digital realm. They are an activity driven race, encouraging members of their race to do sports. Laziness in any shape or form is generally frowned upon. 1-0s are not really family oriented and have no concept of marriage, only staying together until their child turns 12 before kicking them out of the house and leaving them to fend for themselves. In response to that, many gangs form to help one another, or are just exploited depending on what kind of gang one is in. Middle schools and high schools are free to attend just like primary schools, though it's up to the teenage 1-0s whether or not they want to continue their education. This, too, is encouraged, though there are instances where 1-0s go without anymore schooling and get a good job. Primary school is mandatory and college is only for those in the upper class. Their race is built on a caste system, where the children are tattooed with markings on their skin to show their status. Blue is upper class, yellow is middle class, and red is lower class. Their first status comes from their parents' standings, though if one parent's status is different from the other, the marking color takes on the lower class' status. The markings aren't permanent, as there's two separate windows of time to change their tattoos and their status, with a theoretical third window later in life. Window 1 is when they turn 20, window 2 at 40, and, theoretically, window 3 is 70. 20 is the age all 1-0s are considered adults. Having a mental illness is generally misunderstood in their culture and is very much frowned upon. Anyone with a known mental illness is immediately marked as lower class. Names are typically like online usernames, with some having hyphens, numbers, underscores, or symbols in their name.

Realm: Digital realm- A realm that exists alongside the computers of Earth. Everything is made out of data and the layout of the land resembles Earth's, with cities and plains, mountains and jungles. When interacting with computers from the real world, the land becomes just a white expanse with various blue bits of data streaming to one area or another. To enter the digital realm one must need a chaperone that comes from said realm. Their method of entering is usually jumping right through a monitor screen, turning into bits of data before reemerging on the other side.

Other: Currently at war with the GRIDs, thinking that they are an invasive species that breed too quickly and would cause food shortages for other races that live off of the land.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Luma
Being able to see all colors would mean that you could see all the various wavelengths, from ultraviolet to infared.
Except, no, there are far more wavelengths on the EM spectrum than those that range between ultraviolet to infared.

In fact, here, allow my teen self and an old friend of mine to explain it to you! :D

tl;dw -- The image that you posted can all be condensed into that very tiny section of the spectrum that is visible light (which, as my friend Nicole explains, is really small). Ultraviolet and infared are the next things on the spectrum to visible light. And, yes, some animals can see further out into the EM spectrum than we can. Bees, for example, can see ultraviolet light. However, my point remains that being able to see the entire EM spectrum would be completely ridiculous. You'd be able to see radio waves, microwaves, X-rays, gamma rays, etc... And, like I said, I can't even imagine what that would look like, especially given the "really small"-ness of our own tiny sliver of visible light. There are so many more wavelengths out there that we can't see. And the thought of being able to see all wavelengths of EM light is just ridiculous. @_@

Now, I was assuming that magical effects took priority over science and shit, because otherwise we'd have to figure out some way for creatures like Slyphs to pull kinetic energy out of their ass for their aerokinesis.
And, you're right -- normally I don't try to add hard science into the mix. However, here's the difference: saying that Sylphs have aerokinesis? Ok, that's a power that I can at least visualize. I'm willing to hand-wave the unrealistic physics for the sake of that. Saying that a dragon can see every wavelength of light? As explained, that is absolutely absurd. The only reason I brought science into the mix was precisely to explain how absurd it is.

It would be fine for dragons to have special, magical eyes. What's not ok is their special eyes granting them an ability that doesn't make a lick of sense.

Also, the entire reason why I brought this up was because I was listing all the ways you made your dragons sound incredibly overpowered. I brought up the eyesight thing because it was just one example of, "dragons can do X perfectly", even if it doesn't make any sense. And if that sort of thing wasn't a constant issue throughout the race sheet, then I might've been more willing to overlook it.

The dragons can see through any non-magical darkness, is what this amounts to.
Uh... that's all you wanted to say? That they can see in darkness?

Well then... that's a totally different thing, then. Yeah, I can get behind them seeing in darkness. That's a power where you can say it, and I can visualize how that would work without thinking that it's incredibly ridiculous. It also doesn't make it sound like you're trying to make dragons the best at everything. This solves a lot of problems. XD

I guess what I'm trying to get at with my race sheet is that a dragon isn't an inherently magical creature in the same way that a Devo would need to be in order to exist in a sensible way. They're natural creatures with a knack for casting spells.
...What? They aren't inherently magical? That, uh... that contradicts a lot of stuff that you said in your original race sheet. @_@ So, uh, if you're really trying to tell me that they're not inherently magical, and are just "natural creatures with a knack for casting spells", then you're going to have to make some pretty big changes...

1. Yes, because their lifestyle is determined by them being in group, or alone. Loners are naturally more brute (gender doesn't matter), while group fishes are more relying on group, rather than on themselves.
Ehh... I mean... it's cool if you want to create that distinction and all, but, that's really not what singular and plural nouns are used for.

Like, I could say that "wolves behave differently whether they're alone or in packs", but I still used the plural form 'wolves' to refer to both scenarios, rather than saying "wolf behave differently whether they are wolf or wolves". If you want to create a distinction between Dobrynya that live alone and Dobrynya that live in groups, then, that's fine -- but both types should have singular and plural forms.

I would say that it seems like "Dobrynya" is both the singular and plural form of the noun, as you seemed to use "Dobrynya" as a plural noun (which is why I've been doing the same), but I also noticed that you seem to have a hard time distinguishing between when to use singular and plural nouns in general, so... yeah.

If you need me to slow down and provide a more basic grammar lesson to explain these things, just speak up and I'll say so. Otherwise, I'll just move on to the next point here...

Well, it's kind of hot-wax skin, and some sharp bone-spikes sticking out of it.
Um, ok, so... is it really hot, like, temperature-wise? Or does it just visually resemble hot wax?

Either way, I think a slightly more detailed description of this "hot-wax skin" is necessary here.

6. Will change. How about Palus Syreni was major figure in pre-historic and medieval Slavic culture, but eventually faded as a myth?
Yeah, that'll work.

Powers/Abilities:
Synthos-To pass into different realms and to take over a new body
Athys-
Phasing is the ability to pass through solid objects. It allows the Athys to pass through as many objects they are able to in a few minutes. They can continue phasing as long as they want when doing so intervals.
Invisibility is pretty self explanatory, but it only lasts for an hour at most.
These abilities can be used at the same time, but it takes much more effort to do so.
The retained ability will vary on the being the Synthos takes over.
Eh... the formatting here is really confusing, making things kind of hard to read.

May I suggest -- assuming I've even interpreted your layout correctly -- that you try formatting it like this instead?

Powers/Abilities:
Synthos:
  • To pass into different realms and to take over a new body
Anthys:
  • Phasing is the ability to pass through solid objects. It allos the Anthys to pass through as many objects as they are able to in a few minutes. They can continue phasing as long as they want when doing so intervals.
  • Invisibility is pretty self explanatory, but it only lasts for an hour at most.
This makes it easier to see which powers relate to the Synthos and which ones relate to the Anthys. And having a bulleted list in general just makes it a lot easier to make sense of it all.

As for the last two lines:

These abilities can be used at the same time, but it takes much more effort to do so.
The retained ability will vary on the being the Synthos takes over.
I'm honestly not even sure if these are supposed to be under the same list as the Anthys powers, or if this just refers to both the Anthys and Synthos in general... This is what I mean when I say the formatting here is confusing. o_o

Athys have no memory of what it was like to be a Synthos, but they know they were one.
How can Anthys know that they were a Synthos if they have no memory of it?

The second is a retained trait from the previous body's host and their retained trait can become an extra power. There are limits to this retained power though; it's not as strong as its original.
So, given the fact that this retained trait is based off of whatever powers the host body had initially -- I'm going to say that, if you create an Anthys character and you want to make use of this, you'll have to make sure that the host body is something that's actually on the race sheet, so that the ambassador of that race can help you work out what this "retained trait" would be. Otherwise, it would be possible for you to basically make this "retained trait" into anything you wanted by making up any sort of host body.

The Divide is a space between the realms of time.
Ehh. Specifically making it the space between the realms of time is a little bit confusing. I'm honestly not sure what that even means. >.>

If you want to just make it "the space between the realms" then that's fine. Although I should warn you that the space between realms is probably something that future ambassadors will want to get in on -- so I hope you're ready for the Divide to receive more attention than most other realms will probably get. XD

Other than that, though, this looks pretty good! Just a few minor things that need to be cleared up, it seems. ^^

@Kagayours ...

There, done! Did a few more things, and fixed the Character Sheet link for Deen's description. Not sure it was broken, before, but after my initial edit, it was. Let me know if I've covered your questions/concerns.
Race sheet looks good to me! ^^

Lifespan: Up to the 80s
Waaaait hang on... I can't believe I overlooked this in your GRIDs race sheet (since it has the same problem), but, this is definitely an issue.

The GRIDs and the 1-0's are a digital race. They live in what is essentially the internet, yes? So... how could any of them live to be 80-100 years old if the internet itself hasn't been around for nearly that long?

I mean, the exact age of the internet is debatable depending on what you count as "the internet". Commercially-available internet access came about in the 1990s, although technically a much more primitive (and much more restricted) form of the internet existed as far back as the 60s. And while the 60s were a long time ago, it's not long enough to hit the 80-year mark, much less the 100-year mark. And these issues are even further intensified if we count the existence of the internet as being only as old as the 90s.

If you're saying that their apparent age can extend up to 80-100 years old then that's fine. But the "lifespan" field is really meant to refer to actual age.

1-0s are not really family oriented and have no concept of marriage, only staying together until their child turns 12 before kicking them out of the house and leaving them to fend for themselves. In response to that, many gangs form to help one another, or are just exploited depending on what kind of gang one is in. Middle schools and high schools are free to attend just like primary schools, though it's up to the teenage 1-0s whether or not they want to continue their education. This, too, is encouraged, though there are instances where 1-0s go without anymore schooling and get a good job. Primary school is mandatory and college is only for those in the upper class. Their race is built on a caste system, where the children are tattooed with markings on their skin to show their status. Blue is upper class, yellow is middle class, and red is lower class. Their first status comes from their parents' standings, though if one parent's status is different from the other, the marking color takes on the lower class' status. The markings aren't permanent, as there's three separate windows of time to change their tattoos and their status. Window 1 is when they turn 20, window 2 at 40, and window 3 at 70. 20 is the age all 1-0s are considered adults.
^ All the same problems regarding age are also present here. Depending on how old we're considering the internet to be: either the oldest 1-0's are only just reaching adulthood right about now, or there's not a single 1-0 that has yet lived to be as old as "window 3".

Mutation - power limited to turn from skeleton-like monster-fishes, to attractive-looking women or men. Power can also give them ability to change their human appearance at will, but in little portions (changing hair color, changing hair length, changing eye color, etc.).
Ehh... the word "mutation" feels a bit mis-used here (even by comic book science standards). "Shapeshifting" seems like it would be much more fitting.

While humanoid form is one they prefer, when hunting, they can shift to
Looks like you forgot to finish this sentence. o_o

Also, as for the race's name: I'm a little confused about whether "Dobrynia" and "Palus Syreni" are different names for the same thing, or a single, full name. At first I assumed it was the latter, and that it functioned sort of like a scientific name, but now I'm not so sure.

Also, the spelling seems to be a bit inconsistent between "Dobrynia" with one Y and "Dobrynya" with two... I'm assuming you changed it because "Dobrynia" seems to be a lot easier to remember, but, there's still at least one instance of "Dobrynya" that wasn't changed along with it.

EXERCISE - Detailed Physical Appearance ... Yes, the link describes Deen as an adult, still, all you need to do is shorten his shroudruff feathers to about one third his full, adult length. The rest stands.
I find it a bit strange that this links to a list of traits rather than all those images you have readily lying around. In fact, I was going to suggest including those images in your race sheet, but I assumed they'd come up in your CS (especially since most of the images seem to be specifically depicting this one character). You might as well just go with that -- a picture's worth a thousand words, after all. :P

Deen is a "wild child", his parents, the Nism equivalent of "hippies".
It seems like part of this sentence is missing. o_o

Other than that, though, this looks pretty good!

I find it a bit strange that this links to a list of traits rather than all those images you have readily lying around. In fact, I was going to suggest including those images in your race sheet, but I assumed they'd come up in your CS (especially since most of the images seem to be specifically depicting this one character). You might as well just go with that -- a picture's worth a thousand words, after all. :P

Certainly no harm it that... though I did provide an image, before... and have several more, above. Will throw them in the CS, then.

It seems like part of this sentence is missing. o_o

Nope, everything's there: Deen is a wild child, his parents are hippies. Perhaps just a phrasing issue, but the original sentence structure is sound (follows the rules).

Other than that, though, this looks pretty good!

Thanks! Helps that I've had Deen (and the Nism) for a very long time (about fifteen years).

Certainly no harm it that... though I did provide an image, before... and have several more, above. Will throw them in the CS, then.
Yes, but the race/character sheets don't link to any of the posts you included images in. :P It just makes sense to have all those images in the post that people will go to if they want a reference for what Deen looks like.

Nope, everything's there: Deen is a wild child, his parents are hippies. Perhaps just a phrasing issue, but the original sentence structure is sound (follows the rules).
Oh, yeah, I see what you're going for now. The way I read it, it sounded like you were trying to say, "His parents, the Nism equivalent of "hippies"..." and then it would lead into something else from there, contributing to his backstory or whatever. The fact that his parents don't seem to come up at any other point and otherwise aren't relevant also contributes to the confusing phrasing, I think.

I guess just re-phrasing it slightly would solve this issue.

Let me know when you've made those changes, and you should be good to go. ^^

Waaaait hang on... I can't believe I overlooked this in your GRIDs race sheet (since it has the same problem), but, this is definitely an issue.

The GRIDs and the 1-0's are a digital race. They live in what is essentially the internet, yes? So... how could any of them live to be 80-100 years old if the internet itself hasn't been around for nearly that long?

I mean, the exact age of the internet is debatable depending on what you count as "the internet". Commercially-available internet access came about in the 1990s, although technically a much more primitive (and much more restricted) form of the internet existed as far back as the 60s. And while the 60s were a long time ago, it's not long enough to hit the 80-year mark, much less the 100-year mark. And these issues are even further intensified if we count the existence of the internet as being only as old as the 90s.

If you're saying that their apparent age can extend up to 80-100 years old then that's fine. But the "lifespan" field is really meant to refer to actual age.

^ All the same problems regarding age are also present here. Depending on how old we're considering the internet to be: either the oldest 1-0's are only just reaching adulthood right about now, or there's not a single 1-0 that has yet lived to be as old as "window 3".
Oh, you make a good point. I wasn't considering the age of the Internet when I was making these races. Although, truthfully, the digital world has been there way before the Internet was made. The realm was supposed to be there alongside the first computers. When the first computers were born, so was the digital realm. I made a mistake in saying that it has existed alongside the Internet and for that I apologize. I both my sheets up to reflect the things you pointed out. Hopefully it's better now.

Oh, you make a good point. I wasn't considering the age of the Internet when I was making these races. Although, truthfully, the digital world has been there way before the Internet was made. The realm was supposed to be there alongside the first computers. When the first computers were born, so was the digital realm. I made a mistake in saying that it has existed alongside the Internet and for that I apologize. I both my sheets up to reflect the things you pointed out. Hopefully it's better now.
But... that raises more questions. It seems to me that the digital realm exists due to the connected nature of computers and other digital technology. How does this realm function, if not for the internet?

Also, even basing it off of how long computers have been around as opposed to the internet, that's still not a very long time, if we're talking about computers that even vaguely resemble the ones we know today. And if we're really trying to go back as far as we can to decide what "the first computer" was? Then, not only do we get into some really debatable territory, but, we'd also wind up with things that are just... really hard to call "digital", really. So it just feels weird that the existence those hulking machines that were really only intended to crunch numbers -- being incapable of really "storing data" in the way that we think of it -- could create a whole digital realm.

Also -- the machine that comes up most commonly when you google "the first computer" is the ENIAC, which was finished being built in 1946. If you dig a bit deeper, though, you'll see that there are other computer-esque machines that pre-date the ENIAC, which could compete with the ENIAC for that coveted title of "the first computer". Even then, however, the furthest-back dates on this list still aren't any earlier than the 1930's, which means that we still haven't hit that 100-year mark.

And even then, bear in mind that none of these super-early computers were mass-produced. I'm pretty sure that there was only ever one ENIAC in existence, and that many other early computers were also either one-of-a-kind, or only had a very small handful of copies made. And they were primarily intended to be used by government agencies, and a few large companies. So, again, none of this even vaguely resembles the computers of the digital age that we live in now. And even when computers did start being mass-produced for a consumer market -- which didn't really take off until around the 60s or 70s -- they were still largely a hobbyist thing, particularly due to the fact that they didn't even have built-in operating systems and that consumers had to program the things, themselves. I'd say the start of household computers as we know them can only be dated about as far back as the Apple II computer from 1977, which is what really expanded the market for computers beyond just hobbyists and made them easier for the everyday person to learn how to use them.

I'm going off on a tangent again, but, the point remains, a human-length lifespan just doesn't work for creatures of a digital realm. Even if we make it so that they can live that long and just don't know it because none of them have made it there yet, there's still the fact that there can't even be that many generations in existence at once in a race that's only been around for such a short time, which makes it difficult for there to even be established norms about how their society's supposed to function.

So... Is there anything saying that there can't be some kind of 'outer' digital realm, just like there are all sorts of other planes of existence for the other species? Or in other words, why bother binding the digital realm mentioned in those two species with humans inventing computers? I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the infinite multiverse there would be some kind of species that invented computers long before humans invented them. Of course this still requires editing the Race CS at some other points, but at least it would solve the age issue.

• Useful
Reactions: Kagayours
Status
Not open for further replies.