Status
Not open for further replies.
Buras like so many others turned towards the sound of chaos and the cry for a healer. He was not a healer, not of flesh at any rate. But he was curious, a morbid fascination for what might be needing a healer, and was drawn towards it. What he found threw his heart into his throat. The Arbiter lying face down with a wound in his back and a steadily growing pool of blood beneath him. His eyes quickly flicked to a she orc as she drove the axe that had apparently caused the wound into the wall.

"Do not blame the tool for doing what it was made to do. Blame the one that was using it." he said as he strode over to the wall and embedded axe. He had no talent with healing aside from managing a burn, but he did know metal. "Give me that axe. If there is an enchantment on it of corruption or some other nasty, creeping enchantment we may need more then physical healing." he told the she orc as he reached her. "Do not question me. Do as I say and his life might be saved."

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Torna tore through the hall, and now stood beside Garrick. "May the Ancients have mercy!" He shook his head. "Where the hell is the healer?" He looked at the axe, and noticed that it had a strange blue aura. "That axe has an anti-clot enchantment. He will lose his blood if the healer does not hurry." He looked at Garrick. "Friend, the time has come to make your stand. Do what you were meant to do.

He then declared to the surrounding dwarves, "By the right of Ancient Law, I declare the immediate family of the Berkak who did this to be the enemy of my clan. I require the right of recompense as called for by honor and by Berkak law! So I have spoken! Shall any deny me that right?" He hefted his own axe, knowing few would stand in his way.

@Altrex

Edwin's introduction with the Berkak was cut dramatically interrupted by a great commotion. Without haste he made his way over to where there were shouts for a healer and someone declaring an unknown assailant to be an enemy of their clan. More importantly was the Arbiter laying on the floor with blood pooling out of a wound on his back.

Edwin's eyes flashed from the wound to the axe and then back, "Bloody idiots." Forcibly shoving his way through the crowd that had started to form Edwin went to the side of the bleeding man. With a flourish of his arms Edwin's fine blue cloak was in his hands and soon pressing against the wound, the blood quickly soaking into the cloth.

"Someone get down here and help me, the other side needs pressure. Hurry he's lost too much blood already!" Edwin had seen a few injuries like this during his time in the military. They simply would not be able to stop the bleeding if he was guessing the enchantment properly, but they could slow the bleeding buying the wounded a precious few minutes at least.

"Has someone at least gone to fetch a healer? Or are we too busy making proclamations over a bleeding body?" Somewhere in his brain Edwin knew he would regret those words, but the warm sensation of dark liquid beginning to stain his hands was a more ready concern.

• Love
Renn head the call for a healer but he hadn't been the one cloest to the entrance, and the crowd was pressing together to try and see what the problem was. Aylina grabbed his arm and he nodded, "I am trying..." She was helping a bit dragging him through the people. He had to believe she knew the location of the injured person, by the way she was weaving back and forth.

He finally got through the crowd and saw a human kneeling beside Mikael covered in blood. His heart jumped to his throat but he pushed the panic aside. He moved to the side opposite of Edwin and plaid his hands on Mikael's back. His hands would begin to glow a soft bluish green color as his lips moved but no sound could be heard from them. He had great magical healing abilities that had been hones over centuries, no elf present would be ignorant of his name or skill, but this was a difficult thing. The enchantment on the blade was fighting against his magic. His hands seemed to glow brighter and brighter as he built his own magic to a point he'd never attempted before, he felt the strain of it in his own body, but he did not stop until he he felt the enchantment die and the body beneath his hands grew warm and whole within.

His hands returned to normal and he lifted his eyes to Edwin just before he lost consciousness himself, "He is ..well.."

Reactions: Altrex
Kylessa had been watching the human so when he made a beeline for the Arbiter she followed, mistrusting his every action and word. She saw him kneel and try to give aid, when it was obvious he was not going to be able to do much and wondered at him. She heard his words and had a half chuckle at his irreverence for the delegation. That hadn't been wise, but it had been brave.

Her father stood at her side and gave her a quelling look though. She frowned and lowered her eyes. "Forgive me,Father." she said though she wasn't entirely sure what she'd done. She wasn't always sure, but she'd learned it was better to just apologize and look contrite, than to ask and be lectured for hours about proper etiquette and behavior.

Delsaren furrowed his brows, "We will talk alter," he said very softly.

Jasta had joined her family and was looking at the Arbiter and the pooling blood, when Renn appeared. She knew of his power and so her mind had not another care for the wellbeing of the man on the ground. She turned her attention to Delsaren and Kylessa, "Why are you two frowning?' she asked, "Renn will heal him."

Delsaren slipped an arm about his wife's slender waist, "That was not the issue," he said woftly and without further elaboration.

Jasta's gaze moved to her daughter and saw the downcast eyes and submissive posture and her brow lifted, "What have you done this time Kylessa?' she asked quietly.

Kylessa stood there, a grown woman being chastised by her parents where people could possibly hear and felt her insides bubble and simmer nearly threatening to explode in an angry outburst that she was well aware would not be proper or wise at such a time, but even so she was barely able to contain it. She lifted shining eyes, that showed the emotions she was feeling all too clearly, even if her voice sounded controlled and calm. "I believe I may have had a thought that was my own..." she said crisply and moved away from them. It was an act of the utmost defiance for her, and they would understand it as such. She moved over to where the Arbiter was and just happened to be there right when Renn spoke and she saw the exhaustion and knelt behind him and caught him before he hit the floor.

The sudden wilting and dead weight forced her backward into Garrick, but at least his head had not fallen to the hard stone floor.

Garrick had not been watching or listening to anything, he had been praying fervently. He heard what they were saying but he did not heed it or respond. He heard a voice saying for someone to help and his eyes lifted, but before he could move the healer arrived and his relief likely showed on his face. He watched the magic with awe and wonder. He'd heard about this healer but had never seen him ply his abilities until that very moment, and he was more than a little impressed.

He returned to his praying though, because he knew Aedairin healing was usually fast and efficient and this was taking a little longer than he would ahve expected, and seeing the brighter glow to his hands he realized the healer was exerting a great deal of energy to complete the task at hand.

He heard the healer and saw a flash of blue and yellow and then he was instinctively steadying the woman who'd pushed into him. "Forgive me Miss," he said as his hands steadied her. "Thank you for that quick thinking..." his eyes lifted to the Laren, "And your willingness to give aid..."

He stood then and turned to Torna, "So we are to be enemies?' he asked, "It was Jogan Bansson, my wife's brother." His eyes were full of pain and sadness as he spoke. He turned from his people who were gathered around Torna and knelt beside the Arbiter, "Be it known to all who are witnesses this day in this place at this time, I Garrick Erricksson, swear fealty and allegiance to none but the Arbiter, now and forever."

@Maggie

Aylina stood steadily on her feet, a bit woozy herself after all that rushing! She could only nod at the Arbiter and of course, she noticed Garrick. He had an aura of sadness and regret, understandably, for what had happened. But that had been ages ago. Wasn't it time for people to move on, forgive and build a better, more peaceful future? She knew these were all idealistic, foolish thoughts however, and pushed them to the back of her mind. Garrick gave her the briefest of glances, but she couldn't stop looking at him, even as the people around her chatted easily, swearing their loyalty, she felt herself go silent after her own vows, but managed a small smile just for Garrick. "I hope none of us ever become enemies." She said diplomatically.

• Love
Reactions: Altrex and PoetLore
The Arbiter was not feeling well, but he knew he was being healed, and the signature on that healing magic was precisely the one that had made him so... excited. This was his... Mate. He opened his eyes only to have them come to direct contact with those hazel eyes of Renn. He raised his hand, and caressed his cheek. "I thank you, my mate."

He stopped, then attempted to stand. "Who attacked me?"

@PoetLore

Magana looked at the dwarf and nodded curtly, and with two hands pulled the axe back out of the wall and handed it over to the one who requested it. She bowed in respect and then thought perhaps her other actions might be called into question, "Is there some manner you treat your dead?' she asked still in the bowed respectful position. "I merely thought to remove the ...body from the casual onlookers."

She had seen worse, but she'd wager all her money, and honor that most of these delegates had not. And it was a grisly wounding. Additionally, she did not want the attacker to be the focus. she wanted everyone to remain focused on the one who deserved it the Arbiter.

She saw the Arbiter awaken briefly only to watch the healer fall unconscious and nearly topple over tow others. So the arbiter had chosen a mate...that was interesting indeed. And it was an elf. She dearly hoped that would not cause problems. She was still waiting to hear if she had done wrong. She had no desire to put a bigger rift between their two races.

@Beowulf

"I will not deny your right to recompense. But I will deny your war with another clan." Buras said as he took the axe, careful of the edges after what was told about the enchantments. "We have fought long enough. And though it does my purse well, I do not want to forge yet another weapon." After that he began to study the axe in depth. Strings of magic, thinner then hair but stronger then steel, pealed themselves from him and gently touched the axe. "Ah, it is anti-clot like he said. But what other secrets do you have for me," he muttered into his beard, resting his chin on his chest. And he continued on with his muttering until he found out as much as he could about the axe, at which point he finished his mumbling, and the strands of magic receded from the axe head to lay once more on him, a cloak so fine as invisible to the untrained eye.

But then the question on what they do with the body. "I propose we do not perform Jogan's burial rights and leave him to wander the world and think about what he's done here. Let it be recorded in both families books and the agreed upon date where he will finally be properly be laid to rest. I will leave it to the respective clans that Garret and Torna belong to negotiate."

"Miss orc, I commend you for doing as you did and will second your actions. The dead body of the failed assassin to attack the Arbiter has no place near him or to be in polite company." He did not use the perhaps more politically correct term. He was still wondering about the axe, for it hadn't given up all it's secrets, but he was trying to have at least a part of his mind outside of his world and in theirs.

• Love
Reactions: Altrex and PoetLore
Torna looked at both Garrick and Buras. "I do not want war any more than you do. There are other ways to gain recompense. Garrick, you are not your in-laws, and therefore are not at fault. I speak of his children and wife, if they exist, and such parents as he may still possess. I only want this because I consider YOU of MY clan. This... murderer attempted to kill the one being that can help end this war, and I stand beside the Arbiter and by you. I will not abide monsters like the assassin, may his name be forgotten." He looked at Buras. "My clan is old, and I hate war. I prefer the political battle rather than the one of the blade. I will not seek a battle of blades. I so swear."

He next looked around and said, "That said, I suggest an investigation to determine who else might be supporting the no-name."

@Altrex

The Arbiter chanted a spell that returned energy to the prone elf, and helped him up. "My thanks, Renn. I will always owe you for that." He took a deep breath at the relief. "I agree that someone should investigate, but would it wait until after our meal, delegates? I, for one, am famished." He held out one hand to Renn. "Would you care to join me?"

The Arbiter was still moving a bit slowly, due to the axe's previous location, but he knew he would repair. The Aedairin had good magic, and that fact was not lost on anyone.

While the elf poured energy into the wounded body Edwin began to slowly let up pressure before finally taking his hands off completely. As the Elf began to fall backward Edwin grabbed their shoulders dropping his cloak on the ground in the process. It wasn't long till the Arbiter rejuvenated the elf's energy allowing Edwin to step off and retrieve his cloak.

Looking down at the cloak he sighed, not only did was the fabric actually quite expensive but it also had sentimental value to Edwin. Being a gift from an officer at the academy after he had graduated. Another factor, of much less personal concern, was also his stained hands.

Standing back while the Arbiter rose to his feet Edwin frowned. After a brief discourse with the healer their host began to walk into the dining hall, a path which the Laren didn't follow. Instead he saluted with two fingers smirked and spoke softly, mostly to himself, "You're welcome honorable host."

Instead of heading to the dining hall Edwin instead headed back to the airship he had come in on. Showing up to dinner with a splattering of blood wouldn't be proper besides he was far more interested in attempting to clean the cloak. A task he saw to promptly, removing his jacket and rolling up his sleeves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Renn was not quite as aware as perhaps he normally was but he was aware of a few things. There was someone behind him, and there was someone in front of him. He stood slowly and helped the lovely elf as Garrick helped her to her feet and smiled his thanks and then turned to the Arbiter and nodded, "I would be glad to, once I clean up a bit," he said noting the blood staining his own clothing and hands. His gaze moved to the Human, "My thanks...your quick actions made my job possible and successful."

He noted the manner the Human saluted the Arbiter and sighed softly, watching him walk away likely to clean himself up as well. He was in need of food, but he wasn't fit for polite company at the moment, "Please excuse me." He said bowing slightly to each person gathered. he made his way to his room and peeled off the blood-soaked clothing and soaked it in cold water as he started to clean his hands but noticed that blood has soaked through his clothing. He opted for a shower instead and then finished cleaning the clothes he'd been wearing and hung them to dry in the bathroom. He didn't have anything else as fine but he had presentable attire, so he donned the dark blue tunic and gray pants.

He sighed at his image in the glass as he passed, this was as good as he was going to get at the moment. he left his room and made his way back to the dinner.

Kylessa accepted the help up from Garrick once Renn was conscious and stood. She also noted the rather curt manner of the Arbiter toward the only person besides the healer to lend aide. It bothered her that it had been a Laren, and what was more irritating was that it was the Laren she had been suspicious of the whole day; but she wasn't going to take that part away from him. He had acted when everyone else had gawked and stood in shock.

She watched him lift his soaked cloak and then turn to go to the zeppelin. Was he leaving? She wondered. Surely someone would notice, but no one seemed to pay him any attention and she found that bothered her more than the fact that he was a Laren. She watched as everyone followed the Arbiter back into the dinner, including her parents. She stood in complete shock and dismay.

Weighing the options of enduring her father's displeasure and finding out what why the Laren was now leaving, she easily chose the latter and followed him. She didn't quite catch him before he entered his Zeppelin but she stood at the door of it and called out to him, "You were not leaving?' she asked with a raised brow.

Delsaren was aware of his daughter's disappearance and frowned as he scanned the group for her. That girl was going to be the death of him.

Garrick bowed slightly and smiled to the young lady he remembered meeting earlier. "You are most welcome Kylessa Yeldove," he said with a smile, though it did not touch his eyes.

He brushed off his clothes a bit and then looked at Torna, "There is no other family left," he informed him, "My wife and Jogan were all that remained. She is gone and now he is as well. Their House is gone. So let it be done." His voice was full of deep regret as he turned away from the sight of the awe and the trail of blood that Jogan's body had made.

He watched Buras as he was analyzing the axe. "I would not be shocked to find more magics woven into it. He was sent on a mission that had been intended to succeed. His equipment no doubt was enhanced to ensure that end." He waited there by Buras until he finished looking into the axe's mysteries. He wanted to know what Jogan intended.

He turned then and lifted his eyes when he heard the words of the Vaelena, "And I Aylina, and I." He did smile at her and there was a look of appreciation and thanks there in that glint in his blue eyes. He bowed to her and motioned with his hand toward the dinner, "Shall we join the Arbiter then?" he asked.

He did see Kylessa take off after the Laren and he did get a bit of a chuckle out of that, since he'd overheard her saying she did not trust his motives earlier when he was moving about the room, serving drinks to everyone.

@Maggie

The Arbiter sat heavily in his chair in the dining hall, and considered the lay of the land. Alliances were quickly being formed, and it was becoming clear who the leaders were in this group. He knew, upon hearing the proclamation by Torna, and the replies, that he should intervene, in some small way. He said, "I would hope that now would be a good time to put aside differences, Friend Torna. No one can be there to pay recompense. Should you need such, take it from me. I ask it. Take it from no one else. Edwin, I do not forget the aid you gave me. Forgive me for singlemindedness. I had seen a thing I did not wish to forget, and therefore was recording it in my memory. Thank you for stopping the blood flow. Death would not come, but life would have been.... difficult." Here, he was not telling the whole of the story.

"If the attacker is known, and he has no other family, aside from Garrick, Garrick has taken action. The matter is done. I ask that the Berkak utilize whatever ritual necessary to remove body and weapon of that person from this building. I ask that no other races seek to intervene."

Magana bowed ehr head slightly to the Berkak, "My thanks," she said sincerely, "I had thought to spare people the sight of it, but I had begin to question my actions." She offered a slight smile, "I am Magana Dreambreaker, your words are wise Berkak. I will hope that they are heeded."

She hadn't, or wouldn't ever have imagined such words would ever come from ehr lips, but she was beginning to see a different light being in company with all the races, instead of in the isolation of her own home. She had been taught that Berkak were stupid, stubborn and much worse. But those who were part of this assembly seemed anything but that. Where had all that animosity come from, and what ignorance kept perpetuating it?

She glanced over at the other Ferregard and noted that they were giving her odd looks for even speaking to a Berkak. She felt as if they were calling her loyalty into question and that was just another layer of enlightenment that was dawning in her mind through this process. She was beginning to understand why the Arbiter had called them all together, but she could see that not everyone was going to get the message.

@Buras

"Oh there was more. A never breaking enchantment was made, making it a single forged piece and not your common, massed produced axe with a rune etched into it. However an ever sharp rune was put in, right here see. There is also a darker enchantment on it, one that gives the wielder great strength when the weapon is swung at a specific person. I have never seen it so specific before, usually it is towards a race as a whole. But this enchantment is directed specifically towards you, Garrick, and the Arbiter. There is that clotting enchantment that we all know of. And I believe there is a clan rune on it given power. It is on the handle, so it might be from an older axe and the head has simply been replaced. Or he believed that what he was doing was right. Clan runes are powerful runes, I have a theory on why this is but I will give you the short version. His ancestors help him. I doubt they possess it directly, but lucky coincidences may be caused by them. Apparently his ancestors did not agree with what he was doing." He pointed to the runes as he spoke. Those that could be seen, of course, which were the ever sharp and clan rune. The rest of the enchantments he lit up with his magic, the runes now sticking out in sharp relief to the rest of the axe and glowing a blue, the same color that was used as trim on his get up.

That being done, he flicked his gaze to Magana and back to the axe. "Yes yes, a pleasure to meet you Magana Dreambreaker. I am Buras Garethsson, rune smith of the Berkak. And apparently one of the delegates as well." He muttered the last sentence silently, not wanting anyone to hear him. That could harm the honor of family and clan, openly saying that he did not want to be a part of this historic meeting with a living god as the host. But he couldn't help it. He didn't want anything to do with this world of politics, it was far to complicated for him. But because he was a rune smith, he was bound to have been dragged into politics sooner or later. Some clan head would claim him and he'd be caught in a web of allies and enemies.

But currently there was a dead dwarf to deal with and the matter of properly going about taking care of it. "I shall properly handle the removal of this evil thing. I can also preside over the burial, if you so wish Garrick. You were family-kin to him through marriage, I shall leave it up to you on what you would like done." And with that he discreetly handed the axe off to one of his underlings so they could take it to the forge. Though there may be a never breaking enchantment, it was only on the axe head. He could easily rip it off and leave the handle so he could put another on. And to make sure that the rune of harming wasn't used against Garrick or the Arbiter again, he could melt it down. It was a clever way to get around a never breaking spell that his master had taught him. You weren't breaking the object, just changing what it looked like.

• Love
Torna eventually sat at the table not far from Garrick, and watched the goings on. He was quiet, because he knew that anything could happen. A Berkak had deigned to attack the Arbiter with an enchanted axe, and had dishonored himself, and by extention, the Berkak themselves. He began cursing under his breath, as he stared around the table, sure that even though the delegates might be of one mind, their minders and families may not. Much more care should be exercised.

Torna pulled out his dagger, and checked it for sharpness and strength, then reholstered it, as he always did when nerves got the best of him. I should not be acting like this! I should be as the stone! Unmoveable!

@Altrex

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.