• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
With a snap of my fingers, all save myself were transported to their people. From there, they would have to force their fighters to retreat, and go back home. Then, I waited for Garrick to appear. Now alone, for at least a while, I laid my head down on the table, and shut my eyes. I, like usual, was alone. That loneliness rankled me rather strongly.

Again, I found myself sighing sadly. Not only were these races guilty of death, they were guilty of teaching their children to sin. That was something that I couldn't bring myself to tell them, though, and therein lay one of my weaknesses. I knew it, and it saddened me further.

And so, I sat, head down, and waited.

Garrick gather things and sorted and even made a trip to a small farm near his home to give things away. He had no idea when or even IF he would be returning, so he gave those he knew needed what he had to give.

Returning home he made another look around and seeing everything in order, tacked a note to the front door, "If you need to rest lodge here. Make yourself at home."

He returned inside and picked up the large bag and said, "I am ready my friend." And felt that odd sensation and when he blinked once he was back at the dwarven palace. "That is the most odd feeling, but not unpleasant."

Raising at the sound of Garrick's return, I turned toward the Berkak stonemason and nodded. "You are experiencing the primary mode of transport for Ancients. We literally shift our positions instantly. I just made it so that you could do it at will in that moment. Did you find all well?"

I stood, and conjured goblets of clean, cool water with berries floating within the clear liquid. "Drink and rest. Many days we have till the generals return with their charge. But, I have a question, friend. What do your people when you seek to terminate a feeling of loneliness?"

That question was on my mind in that moment, and my new friend might have the answer, so I thought.

Garrick stacked his belongings in the corner out of the way and drank the water and ate the berries. "Loneliness?" he asked and furrowed his brows, "After a time it becomes a welcome friend, but when one seeks to be rid of it they generally seek a companion...a mate. One who shares like views and interests. I had a wife...but she left after the whole 'mistake' that started the war. I don't blame her. I should never have thought of a brothel even drunk on dwarven ale. it was a disrespect for her and for my family, but I was careless with my life and her love and now she is gone. I was told not long ago that she had been killed by raiders." He sighed, "Just another sin to lay to my charge for which I cannot atone." His shoulders slumped a bit and he plopped into the chair. "very often i wish I had been executed...I mostly feel I deserve it."

He looked back at the Arbiter, "I did not know Ancients felt loneliness. I am sad to say this but it cheers me a bit to know it. That they understand such things."

I sighed sadly. "Aye, we know it. I, though, am one that hated to be a member of the Council. I took this task to end my loneliness, as much to end this blasted farce of a war." I shook my head. "I have been to many worlds, and none felt like home till this one, and now I see that my new home is in pain, and I must help to repair it. I can only hope that this world is not like some I have been to. My interests are... uncommon, in that I do not wish to 'have children', but desire strong companionship, if my words mean anything to you." I edged around the actual meaning, hoping that Garrick understood without specifically saying that I did not want a woman.

Many worlds I had been to thought of such desires as taboo, and therefore made my stays there... untenable.

Garrick being a man of the sort that had desired childrena nd a wife, did not immediately understand the Arbiter's meaning but light did eventually dawn, "Ahh I see," he said with a nod, "Among those who are elvin kind, there are such relationships," he said, "I do believe. They harbor no prejudices in that community toward any person choices. It would not be so everywhere..."

He sighed, "Among my people for instance it would be highly dishonorable. I am sorry. I have not been very proud of my people this day."

He watched the Arbiter closer and tipped his head, "I am sure one of the elvin kind will find you attractive. since you more closely resemble their race..." He looked thoughtful, "ARE you of their race? I did not know Ancients had races to be honest. I thought they were...spirits...with no form actually."

I chuckled. "I appear in this form not of my own choice, but by the choice of my so-called associates within the 'esteemed' council that sent me. In return for telling them I would never return, they forced me into a corporeal form, similar to the Valena of this world. I, Garrick, am spirit, imprisoned, quite willingly, now, in flesh. Only thing is, because my associates could not make me mortal, I die not. So, a short-lived mate would be bad for me."

I knew he'd understand that element.

Garrick nodded, "None live longer upon this land than the elf," he agreed, "My kind live long but not that long. I know I will live out my days alone. I came to terms with that truth many years ago. No woman worth having will want the likes of me." he said with a shrug, "I have been happy doing for others and building the temples to the ancients."

He had been for the most part. He did often miss his wife, and he'd sometimes see families and their children and feel a keen sense of deep loss, but he always pushed it aside and found his kind of peace inside each time. "I do wish I had a child though," he said with a shrug, "It is my one deep regret."

he looked around at the place they were, "Maybe we should claim a room here to rest in until the other return?' he asked, "Someone did a fine job making this place, we should make use of it."

Reactions: Aragon
"The maker is an ancestor of yours. Yorick Stonebiter Dunrsson. Your thrice-great grandfather, via your mother. And, I do agree. I will claim a room in which to meditate. Sleep where you like, friend. We wake tomorrow to plan."

I grasped his shoulder, and smiled down at him. "Sleep well, my friend." And off to be alone I went, and meditated.

He was glad to know this had been built by his family. it gave him a sense of pride and just as soon as it came his own dishonor shamed him. He had let down that ancient ancestor, and marred the legacy that was built here. Still it was a magnificent structure.

He nodded to the Arbiter. "I am a bit tired Sir," he said honestly. Perhaps it was his manner of travel or just the emotional stress of the day, but he felt weary in a way he hadn't felt in a long while. He needed rest. he made his way up the stairs carrying his things and found a door to the right and opened it. he was greeted with a beautiful room, furnished ornately and colorfully adorned. He set his things on the floor and sat on a chair to pull off his boots and armor. He saw another room and was surprised to see bathing facilities, but he took advantage of that was well and then once clean slept soundly on the comfortable bed. He wondered vaguely as he drifted off to sleep how many days it would be until the delegates returned.

As quickly as they had appeared, the six generals reappeared back with their armies. The chaos and confusion that had ensued following their disappearances was not what any of them had pondered upon returning, but each found their armies in disarray, scattered about searching for their missing leaders and blaming rival factions for the event.

The Laren (Humans)

General Rockwal Admark, who was a stern but fair man, had little trouble reigning the men in and calling them back to order and retreat. They were puzzled but followed orders without question. Once they were back at the training camp and ordered to remain, the general made his way to the Convergence hall and sent out a missive to all the heads of the great houses of Laren to meet and discuss a matter of importance. In less than two hours the heads had assembled, and the general announced the cease fire agreement, the presence of the Arbiter and the coming global government that was to be led by delegations from each race, consisting of five highly favored members of each race from whom the new Emperor would be crowned. There was shocked murmuring and loud opposition but the general remained calm and steadfast as he delivered the Arbiter's message and mission. "The ancients sent him and imbued him with power. We have foolishly depleted out race by over half, what are our options?" he implored and after much discussion had their cooperation, though it seemed with a bit of reluctance. "We must put forth our best for the delegation of five...make your nominations!"

The Ferregard (Orcs)

General Knurigg Vlog (As noted...Orc's use their first name last and last name first when stating their identity) was angered by the state of his forces upon his return. He took a much less friendly approach to gathering and regaining order in the ranks but the result was the same. The army returned to the northlands and a meeting f the prominent houses of the Ferregard was called. This was a much angrier and hostile meeting that that of the humans, but the general here prevailed as well, perhaps with aid from the ancients though one cannot know such was the case for certain. They were much more direct in their approach to forming the delegation. They were ruled by bloodlines, and as such had a ready and direct group to send back to the Hegemony meeting.

The Berkak (Dwarves)

General Delock Coppersson did not find the widespread panic that the others had upon returning, but he found instead men standing without a purpose, awaiting instruction. He wasn't sure whether to be amazed, alarmed or just incredulous. He announced the cease fire and many cheered, which also surprised him. They returned back to the great city, Jaktuk and there repeated all that had happened and what they were to do. There was fierce opposition as well as relief and support for the Arbiter. It was, by far, the most diametrically opposed voicing of opinion in all the House deliberations. An entire day was spent with raised voices and danging fists, until finally the voices of reason and future prosperity prevailed. They then began the process of choosing their delegation.

The Vaelena (High Elves)

General Corym Cranala, upon returning to his men, was met with relief and much happiness. The army returned to the center of the forest of Areya and called together the leaders and respected members of the House. They agreed quickly to end the senseless war and promote the common good of all the land by appointing their delegation. It was a fairly smooth and ordered process and was nearly the quickest to make their collective will known.

The Jabari (Wood Elves)

General Kobar Aradove was dismayed to see his captains ordering men about in random ridiculous patterns in an effort to locate him. He blew a loud horn that effectively summoned all men to his location. They returned to the treetop counsel, after he disbanded the armed forces. No war meant men could return to their families and homes. He saw no need to retain them. The Jabari counsel was very pleased to hear of the cease fire, and the end to the loss of their ranks and lands. They were careful to allow time to nominate the delegation, and sent everyone back to their homes to reflect and give proper attention to their nominations, so that only the best among them would represent all. They met the following day at first light to make their will known.

The Aedairin (Drow Elves)

General Thrudan Rolena returned to find his men searching for him, but not frantically or without purpose. He used a horn to call them back as well, and they returned to the underground city of Hacendar. They were greeted with relief and applause. The general had long been against the war and had been trying to withdraw from it more and more over the past two years. So his announcements were met with excitement and enthusiasm. They had ones among them that all were in favor of appointing to the delegation and felt they were the best to represent the whole of their society, the general was among them, the only general to be awarded that honor.

Reactions: Altrex and Aragon
Torna Yurickson was one of the five Berkak assigned to be a member of the Hegemony, and for once, leadership actually felt... effective. Something was finally being done about this farce of a war. So, being the only member in his family willing to go, he handed over the title of War Chief to his next in line, and packed his things.

He joined the General's encampment, and helped the others prepare for the journey. It wouldn't be a long one, as the Berkak had a secret exit to the south east, twenty miles from the Palace in which the Hegemony would be housed and held. He looked forward to meeting the Arbiter and his right-hand-Berkak, the falsely disgraced Garrick Ericksson.

Reactions: PoetLore
Edwin leaned forward in his chair and pressed the tips of his fingers together, one of the few lords to remain seated after the announcement. These were strange and terrible times that they lived in, first a terrible war caused by a drunken dwarf, and now a Herald of the Ancients whimsically kidnapping their General to deliver a message. His eyes briefly looked at the men around him, still jabbering away.

'We can't give into demands.'
'They murdered her!'

Varied comments attempting to float to the top of the conversation only to be drowned out by another ambitious lord. Really they should have been saying,

'This is going to kill my profit margins.'
'I think we we're going to win.'
'Send me as a delegate.'

Of course they didn't dare to utter those words. That would make their intentions far to well known, make these deliberations simple. Letting his gaze swing to the General who finally reigned control of the room back,

"We must put forth our best for the delegation of five...make your nominations!"

Waiting patiently for the vote to come around to himself Edwin stood up, flashed a smile, and in one of his first self serving acts said, "I nominate myself." With a flourish of his cape the man sat down, and leaned back waiting for the last votes to come.

Reactions: Aragon and PoetLore
Renn Jorell nodded at the common and obvious preference the Aedairin people had made in choosing him to be part of the delegation. He had NO political aspirations nor dreams of power. He was an artist and healer, and though he recognized the extreme honor his people were bestowing upon him, he was not at all happy about it. He smiled and took his place next to General Rolena as was right but he was silently praying for deliverance from this call.

His hazel eyes scanned the crowd and he saw only smiles and happy encouragement and resigned himself to his fate. He had no family to accompany him and seeing the others with theirs only reminded him of how very alone and solitary his life truly was. He had daily contact with patients and clients for his art, but daily he would retreat to his home in the cave wall alone. That fact had never really bothered him before, but now having packed his things and waiting the transport, he was keenly and painfully aware of it.

General Rolena had his wife and two daughters with him, and they seemed happy to be making the journey. The other three were prominent within their society for inventions, trading and magical prowess. The transport zeppelin arrived and everyone boarded and then made themselves comfortable. it would be a long journey.

• Love
Arbiter:

I knew that the time was nearing, but that gave me no peace. Occasional chats with Garrick served to temporarily stem the tide of anxiety and loneliness, while meditation seemed to only slow my heart rate, and make me think more clearly. Since I would meditate, then sleep, that sleep always turned out to be relatively dreamless, with occasional forays into the weirdness that is the unconscious mind.

In the days, I would often roam the palace, setting up and strengthening wards, and making certain that things were as they should be. As much as I could do, I knew it would be impossible to plan for everything, and that worried me.

The Jabari had taken the news of the cease fire with joy and thanksgiving. Their treetop homes were suffering devastating destruction and they had lost the most of their populace because of their exposure to attack in their easily visible houses. They had been particularly easy prey for the human zep-gliders attacks. There were many houses within the Jabari that had been completely extinguished and as a people they were feeling those losses deeply at the counsel meeting place.

Delsaren Yeldove had been one of the first to be nominated for a position on the delegation and he had readily accepted. When his wife was also nominated, he felt pride swell in his chest for her accomplishments as well. He was very proud of his wife and not at all surprised by her nomination. They were joined on the journey by their daughter Kylessa, who was insisting on being a guardian and protector. He merely smiled and condescended to permit her to believe she was fulfilling a needed role.

Kylessa Yeldove pulled her long blond hair into a thick braid and with the hair wove a long piece of green leather into the braid and tied it at the bottom to hold it tight. Her hair tended to find its own path to freedom but she was forcing ti to behave today. Her family was being honored in possibly the highest fashion ever known to the Jabari, with BOTH of her parents being nominated into the delegation. She was happy for them, and pleased that her father had allowed her to be their guard. it was a long trip and though there was a cease fire in order, she did not trust the humans at all. All the races in one small isolated place together did not in her mind make for a happy party.

She had packed all her things, as she'd been instructed and met her parents at the loading area. she nodded to the other delegates and stood near her father's back to protect him as she watched for the zeppelin. Everyone boarded it as soon as it appeared and she felt a bit of relief that the journey had begun and without incident.

Garrick was spending a good bit of his time exploring the beautiful creation of his ancestors. His mind was whirling with ideas and techniques he was learning through these observations. Though they had less magic enchantment and technology, they had crafted this palace with minute detail and beautifully crated opulence and he was more than a little impressed. He'd found a few hidden passageways and secret rooms and had a smile at their ingenuity and those tweaks of paranoid humor.

He had shared a few conversations with the Arbiter as well. The man seemed to be burdened and sad, and though he had tried to ease those burdens and create casual conversation apart from the coming selection process, he had not had much success. He often wondered if his new friend had made the right choice in leaving the ancients and accepting a physical body.

It had been several days and he felt certain everyone would soon return and the real tests would begin. He had sharpened his blades in case they were needed. Sadly, he had little faith in the world, not even in his own kind.

Behind the Berkak delegation was a cloaked figure staying in the shadows behind them. Moving silently through the tunnel system toward the palace of the hegemony. It was a stroke of luck that they had chosen this route instead of the zeppelin transport. It would have been far more difficult to arrange a way to be aboard that vessel and maintain anonymity. The tunnels were not known of by the general populace of Jaktuk, so when it had been revealed many had traveled part of the way with the delegation as a means of send off. Though while the larger group accompanied the delegation the cloak had been worn as a cape and not as a means of hiding his presence. This spontaneous group send off had made the cloaked figure's presence even less conspicuous, and his mission more easily fulfilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aylina woke up early as she always had, disturbed by a troubling dream. Downstairs in her father's house, she was surprised to find that he was home, although cloistered within the meeting room. Something about a journey, a long one, from the sounds of his raised voice.

Vladimir Rosebud was thinking of going to join up with that Derrick Errickson… but his business would be left unattended far too long; trading would be sacrificed. She would have to replace him instead, he even voiced his encouragement- how brave, clever and a good mage/fighter she was. She smiled at the high praise, but it didn't last over his next words.. "But she's been sheltered most of her life; what if she gets hurt, injured, or trusts the wrong person and even killed?"

Vladimir's voice rose a bit, having always been protective of his only child.

Aylina wasn't missing out though, and decided to enter the conference room; her regal bearing, noticed by everyone. She smiled at her father, then nodded to those in attendance. "I'll go, father, no need to let your business die down. I want to go meet Garrick Erickson, and help on an important quest. I promise I'll be extremely careful," She promised. It was with great reluctance that Vladimir agreed; but she had to promise to take armor and several weapons, plus her spell book. After packing weapons: A long gleaming, silver sword, her 5'8 staff with the big sapphire crystal sphere on top; several days worth of traveling food, a big cantine of water, and her long dagger. Once ready, she took off to meet the group at the designated place, hopeful their mission would be a success.

• Love
Reactions: Altrex and PoetLore
Magana Dreambreaker

The fire was burning low in the brazier as Magana made a slow circle in the fighting pit, staring her opponent down across the way. The normal roar of cheering was nonexistent on this night- only the crackle and popping of embers and the steady beat of a sole drum as the duel ensued. Above the pit stood General Knurigg Vlog, staring intently at the scene before him. To both sides of him were his remaining Honor Guard, and then several champions of Ferregard. But Magana was not paying attention to any of them.

Her eyes were only for Torklor Yurk, the youngest Honor Guard to the General. It was here at the meeting that she had challenged his strength, her conditions being that she represent Eastern Ferregard at the side of General Knurrig Vlog in the name of village Go'Dek. By the honor of his position, he had to accept.

And here they were, two sweaty and bruised bodies in step with the dance of their people. With a roar, Yurk charged. Magana met him in the center, silent but for a short grunt upon impact. Their arms locked, then their eyes. For a minute, they stood there in an embrace more intimate than sex could ever dream to be. It was a test of strength, a moment in which the opponents came together in mutual understanding and respect.

This was a worthy fight.

But all good things must end. Yurk swept Magana's feet from under her, and she fell with a solid thud and a hiss of pain. He was on her then, a satisfied smile twisting his stony features. He raised his hand to deal the blow that would knock her out, but his actions were slowed by his energy exertion earlier in the match. Much too late did Yurk notice a matching smile on the female Ferregard's lips.

With a bone-cracking wham, his fist landed on the floor right where Magana's head once was. Her body was twisted to the left, her smaller frame much more agile than the male's. With a fury unbespoken of one her size, she twisted back to the right, hitting Yurk with the back of her fist in the temple. The Ferregard slumped off her body in a daze, prone. Getting to her feet, she brought her foot down on top of her opponents chest, cracking the sternum and finishing the fight.

The drumming stopped, and Magana Dreambreaker met the approving eyes of General Knurigg Vlog. She snarled, daring him to question her strength. A deep chanting of her name echoed around the room, and the drum picked up once more. The General nodded acknowledgement toward her victory as the unconscious body of Yurk was carried away.

Her terms will be met.

• Love
Reactions: Altrex and PoetLore
Status
Not open for further replies.