• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Also! @Kaga-kun

What did you think about the Screwdriver coming back?

Overall I liked the episode for what it was...

But am I the only one let down that Gallifrey was just a side attraction? :(

DAMMIT I WANT MORE GALLIFREY!!! >:C
I for one feel like we got to see a rather satisfying amount of Gallifrey, actually!!

This is the first time we got to see how the Time Lords feel about the Doctor after the events of the Time War, which is interesting (I'd never even guessed that they'd see him as a war hero, so it was interesting to see that). And there was also the thing about how regeneration is just a thing that everyone's used to -- I liked that. It's those small little moments of Time Lord normality that make me really like the Gallifrey episodes.

...Then again, I've seen other Gallifrey episodes, soooo... XD

Also, I was kind of hoping they would make some reference to the Doctor being the former president of Gallifrey, just to see how you would react to that... XD

Wait, what was this?
I don't know if I mentioned this to you before, but the 1996 TV movie is... an oddity, to say the least. It came out 6 years after the original Doctor Who series had been cancelled, and it was supposed to be the start of a re-booted series (though obviously that didn't work out), and it just feels very... un-Who-like, like it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the series (neither the old series nor the new one). And part of the reason for that might be that it was mainly produced by Fox, and was therefore, essentially, American Doctor Who. ...There's a reason why that shouldn't feel right.

Anyway, because the movie was supposed to serve as the start to a re-booted series, there are a lot of, uh... well "reveals" doesn't sound like the right word, but, there are a lot of things that were sort of newly introduced to the canon in order to give the new series somewhat of its own identity and give the story more places to go. Russel T. Davies did a lot of that sort of thing with the 2005 series by introducing things like the Time War, but, uh, yeah, most of what Fox's Who was going for has since been thrown to the wayside.

...But, you know, there's still the matter of it all being technically canon, sort of... I mean, the movie was the only TV appearance of the 8th Doctor, and if Davies started the 2005 series out with 9 instead of his own version of 8, then, yeah, that would imply that the movie is canon. But, that gets tricky when you think about all the things that actually happened in that movie... the most noteworthy of those things being the reveal that the Doctor is half-human.

...Despite the fact that every writer from there on afterwards seems to be completely content pretending that that never happened, it is very difficult to justify from a continuity perspective (my personal theory is that the Doctor only said that because he was still loopy from his regeneration, but even that theory has some holes in it that I admit I can't explain...). So, it always just sort of seemed that, despite the fact that you really can't try to explain away that reveal as something else, it's still something that's never going to be acknowledged again and that the Doctor is only ever going to be 100% Time Lord and nothing else.

...But then they acknowledged it. And, the funny thing is, I actually saw a lot of theories floating around Tumblr just after Heaven Sent aired that the Doctor being "the hybrid" might've been a reference to the whole half-human thing, but I sort of just laughed all of those off because yeah, no, we just have to accept that that's never going to be canon ever again.

But then Me was all like "You're a pureblood Time Lord, aren't you...? Why would a Time Lord like that spend so much time on Earth...?" and I was just like "No, no no, no, you are not taking this where you sound like you're taking this..." and then she was like "You're half-human, aren't you?" and I was like "NO, NO, YOU DID NOT. YOU ARE NOT GOING THERE. WE AGREED TO NEVER SPEAK OF THIS EVER AGAIN. YOU CAN'T ACTUALLY ACT LIKE THAT'S A THING THAT HAPPENED. NOOOO" because I was just too in shock that they'd actually bring it up (it hasn't once been referenced ever since that movie! Not even as a joke!!) and just didn't even know how to react to that.

And theeeen the Doctor never gave a straight answer to that question, so, yeah...

This... probably means that that line was only included in there to freak out the Classic fans who were aware of that movie's existence, like me, but uh... yeah.

...They actually acknowledged it, though. That's a first.

What did you think about the Screwdriver coming back?
My immediate reaction was honestly just "See?? What did I tell you people???" because I knew the screwdriver had to come back eventually, and there's no way it would be gone for good, not even if Moffat wanted it to be.

And then I thought, "It was only one season. One season without the screwdriver. Was that really so bad???" because people were making such a big deal about it and now, look, it's already over with. People can chill the fuck down.

Also, also, speaking of sonic things... I fucking lost it when Clara said she "reversed the polarity" on the memory-blocker thing. XD

Oh oh and also... I didn't freak out when I saw the old-school TARDIS interior, because they already did that in Day of the Doctor, so it wasn't that mind-blowing to see it in New Who...

...But then they used the scanner!!!! and I swear, even though I'm pretty sure all the New Who TARDISes had a scanner, it hasn't been used like that, or was even positioned up on the wall like that, in quite a long time. So, that was nice to see. XD

...And then I realized it had the old-fashioned inner-doors where you have to hit the button on the console and they make the little whirring sound that sounds exactly like it used to and I just sjdfklsjdfklsjd!!!

I for one feel like we got to see a rather satisfying amount of Gallifrey, actually!!

This is the first time we got to see how the Time Lords feel about the Doctor after the events of the Time War, which is interesting (I'd never even guessed that they'd see him as a war hero, so it was interesting to see that). And there was also the thing about how regeneration is just a thing that everyone's used to -- I liked that. It's those small little moments of Time Lord normality that make me really like the Gallifrey episodes.

...Then again, I've seen other Gallifrey episodes, soooo... XD

Also, I was kind of hoping they would make some reference to the Doctor being the former president of Gallifrey, just to see how you would react to that... XD
Yea... But you're saying that as someone whose seen the Old Who Gallifrey stuff.
But as a New Who watcher, whose barely seen Gallifrey?

AH!!! I want more! :(

Also I think they kind of did reference the President...
Like not directly, but the fact he came to power there so quickly seemed to imply he held such authority before.

And given the fact he's the President of Earth? A Race he's not even part of? That says something.

I don't know if I mentioned this to you before, but the 1996 TV movie is... an oddity, to say the least. It came out 6 years after the original Doctor Who series had been cancelled, and it was supposed to be the start of a re-booted series (though obviously that didn't work out), and it just feels very... un-Who-like, like it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the series (neither the old series nor the new one). And part of the reason for that might be that it was mainly produced by Fox, and was therefore, essentially, American Doctor Who. ...There's a reason why that shouldn't feel right.

Anyway, because the movie was supposed to serve as the start to a re-booted series, there are a lot of, uh... well "reveals" doesn't sound like the right word, but, there are a lot of things that were sort of newly introduced to the canon in order to give the new series somewhat of its own identity and give the story more places to go. Russel T. Davies did a lot of that sort of thing with the 2005 series by introducing things like the Time War, but, uh, yeah, most of what Fox's Who was going for has since been thrown to the wayside.

...But, you know, there's still the matter of it all being technically canon, sort of... I mean, the movie was the only TV appearance of the 8th Doctor, and if Davies started the 2005 series out with 9 instead of his own version of 8, then, yeah, that would imply that the movie is canon. But, that gets tricky when you think about all the things that actually happened in that movie... the most noteworthy of those things being the reveal that the Doctor is half-human.

...Despite the fact that every writer from there on afterwards seems to be completely content pretending that that never happened, it is very difficult to justify from a continuity perspective (my personal theory is that the Doctor only said that because he was still loopy from his regeneration, but even that theory has some holes in it that I admit I can't explain...). So, it always just sort of seemed that, despite the fact that you really can't try to explain away that reveal as something else, it's still something that's never going to be acknowledged again and that the Doctor is only ever going to be 100% Time Lord and nothing else.

...But then they acknowledged it. And, the funny thing is, I actually saw a lot of theories floating around Tumblr just after Heaven Sent aired that the Doctor being "the hybrid" might've been a reference to the whole half-human thing, but I sort of just laughed all of those off because yeah, no, we just have to accept that that's never going to be canon ever again.

But then Me was all like "You're a pureblood Time Lord, aren't you...? Why would a Time Lord like that spend so much time on Earth...?" and I was just like "No, no no, no, you are not taking this where you sound like you're taking this..." and then she was like "You're half-human, aren't you?" and I was like "NO, NO, YOU DID NOT. YOU ARE NOT GOING THERE. WE AGREED TO NEVER SPEAK OF THIS EVER AGAIN. YOU CAN'T ACTUALLY ACT LIKE THAT'S A THING THAT HAPPENED. NOOOO" because I was just too in shock that they'd actually bring it up (it hasn't once been referenced ever since that movie! Not even as a joke!!) and just didn't even know how to react to that.

And theeeen the Doctor never gave a straight answer to that question, so, yeah...

This... probably means that that line was only included in there to freak out the Classic fans who were aware of that movie's existence, like me, but uh... yeah.

...They actually acknowledged it, though. That's a first.
Oh... Yea I remember that now. XD

Honestly I didn't catch that though because it was immediately followed by a better theory (which 'me' even admits) of the Hybrid being two people.
Which reminds me... I'm also sad we never got to see Missy. :(

I mean seriously?
Gallifrey? All the Time Lords?
And you're skipping Missy? WHAT!?

I mean when the Doctor said he had to go grab an old friend I was SO convinced it was going to be Missy... But no, he made a desperate attempt at Clara. :(
Like, I love Clara as a companion... But she was dead! Why did we need to just drag her back for a single episode when Missy would have fit the Time Lords theme far better?

My immediate reaction was honestly just "See?? What did I tell you people???" because I knew the screwdriver had to come back eventually, and there's no way it would be gone for good, not even if Moffat wanted it to be.

And then I thought, "It was only one season. One season without the screwdriver. Was that really so bad???" because people were making such a big deal about it and now, look, it's already over with. People can chill the fuck down.

Also, also, speaking of sonic things... I fucking lost it when Clara said she "reversed the polarity" on the memory-blocker thing. XD

Oh oh and also... I didn't freak out when I saw the old-school TARDIS interior, because they already did that in Day of the Doctor, so it wasn't that mind-blowing to see it in New Who...

...But then they used the scanner!!!! and I swear, even though I'm pretty sure all the New Who TARDISes had a scanner, it hasn't been used like that, or was even positioned up on the wall like that, in quite a long time. So, that was nice to see. XD

...And then I realized it had the old-fashioned inner-doors where you have to hit the button on the console and they make the little whirring sound that sounds exactly like it used to and I just sjdfklsjdfklsjd!!!
I literally did a quick laugh/scof to myself when the screwdriver popped up because all I could think is "Of course it came back! Now maybe all the Whoovians crying about it will stop".

Though being a New Who watcher... I found the Old TARDIS stuff nice (recognized the old design from a tiny bit of a Tom Baker episode on mummies I saw) but I never nerd gasmed. :P

Yea... But you're saying that as someone whose seen the Old Who Gallifrey stuff.
But as a New Who watcher, whose barely seen Gallifrey?

AH!!! I want more! :(
Then you should watch the Classics. :P

Also I think they kind of did reference the President...
Like not directly, but the fact he came to power there so quickly seemed to imply he held such authority before.
Yeah, that's sort of why I thought they were going to bring it up, especially since he kind of effectively took the president's place, so... yeah.

They came just shy of actually mentioning that it was a thing in the past, though. XD Oh well.

And given the fact he's the President of Earth? A Race he's not even part of? That says something.
Yup. President of two planets. And, both times, he was sort of made president against his will, only to later embrace the position because he needed it to fulfill some sort of agenda. That's... something. XD

Oh... Yea I remember that now. XD

Honestly I didn't catch that though because it was immediately followed by a better theory (which 'me' even admits) of the Hybrid being two people.
Which reminds me... I'm also sad we never got to see Missy. :(

I mean seriously?
Gallifrey? All the Time Lords?
And you're skipping Missy? WHAT!?

I mean when the Doctor said he had to go grab an old friend I was SO convinced it was going to be Missy... But no, he made a desperate attempt at Clara. :(
Like, I love Clara as a companion... But she was dead! Why did we need to just drag her back for a single episode when Missy would have fit the Time Lords theme far better?
Because pretty much the whole episode was centered around the fact that the Doctor just could not bear to let Clara go, and tried so hard to cheat time to save her, even though Clara herself didn't want that.

And I admit, I too was starting to get a bit angry when I realized that the Doctor was going to go back for her, for reasons I already explained.

But, I mean... him going back for Missy would make a lot less sense, really. :/ I mean, yeah, when we were discussing theories based off of the last episode, we said that maybe Missy had something to do with it... but that would put Missy in more of an antagonist role than anything else. I don't see why the Doctor would have any reason to go back for her -- she kind of always just creates chaos and makes things more difficult for him. :/ Plus, if Missy didn't have any agenda of her own, then she'd have no reason to be on Gallifrey, soo... yeah.

Also, I have no reason why the Sisterhood of Khan was on Gallifrey, either, but, you know...

I literally did a quick laugh/scof to myself when the screwdriver popped up because all I could think is "Of course it came back! Now maybe all the Whoovians crying about it will stop".

Though being a New Who watcher... I found the Old TARDIS stuff nice (recognized the old design from a tiny bit of a Tom Baker episode on mummies I saw) but I never nerd gasmed. :P
Honestly, it was really the doors that sent me over the edge. I was just amazed that they actually kept the bit about them needing to be opened by a button on the console like that, and then they even made the same noise they used to. XD

Because pretty much the whole episode was centered around the fact that the Doctor just could not bear to let Clara go, and tried so hard to cheat time to save her, even though Clara herself didn't want that.

And I admit, I too was starting to get a bit angry when I realized that the Doctor was going to go back for her, for reasons I already explained.

But, I mean... him going back for Missy would make a lot less sense, really. :/ I mean, yeah, when we were discussing theories based off of the last episode, we said that maybe Missy had something to do with it... but that would put Missy in more of an antagonist role than anything else. I don't see why the Doctor would have any reason to go back for her -- she kind of always just creates chaos and makes things more difficult for him. :/ Plus, if Missy didn't have any agenda of her own, then she'd have no reason to be on Gallifrey, soo... yeah.

Also, I have no reason why the Sisterhood of Khan was on Gallifrey, either, but, you know...
I guess... :(

I just got so excited with Gallifrey though that I felt let down when they chose to not make that the focus.

And now we have both a title for the Christmas special and more of a trailer than we got before, and I will just say...

...I have questions.

*walks in*

*sees huge Spoiler Walls*

Uh...

I guess... :(

I just got so excited with Gallifrey though that I felt let down when they chose to not make that the focus.
*shrugs* I think it got more of a focus than I expected, honestly.

What, do you think it was just going to be a lowkey episode exploring Gallifreyan life and culture? ...As a season finale??

I'm amazed we got as much as we did. I mean, think back to Day of the Doctor -- there's a reason why we only saw as much as we did; bigger things were going on, and there's a reason why just seeing Gallifrey wasn't the focus.

I was thinking it would be a lot more in-the-background than it actually was, really, and I'm pleasantly surprised at what we got. The good first chunk of it was pretty much all Gallifrey-focused, and it still stayed that way for a while even after bringing Clara into the mix (as they were exploring the cloister hall and all that). So, I was satisfied with it.

*walks in*

*sees huge Spoiler Walls*

Uh...
The Doctor Who season finale aired.

...Though, now that I think about it... I watch the show, and so does Gwazi, and Rithas... and all of us are already up-to-date.

...I'm not sure who we're using spoiler tabs for. But, I guess it makes sense to keep it up just in-case we're forgetting someone. ...Especially since I've been attracting some new members as of late, besides.

*shrugs* I think it got more of a focus than I expected, honestly.

What, do you think it was just going to be a lowkey episode exploring Gallifreyan life and culture? ...As a season finale??

I'm amazed we got as much as we did. I mean, think back to Day of the Doctor -- there's a reason why we only saw as much as we did; bigger things were going on, and there's a reason why just seeing Gallifrey wasn't the focus.

I was thinking it would be a lot more in-the-background than it actually was, really, and I'm pleasantly surprised at what we got. The good first chunk of it was pretty much all Gallifrey-focused, and it still stayed that way for a while even after bringing Clara into the mix (as they were exploring the cloister hall and all that). So, I was satisfied with it.
I wasn't expected it to be casual.
I just expected it to be... Time Lord focused, not companion focused. :/

...Though, now that I think about it... I watch the show, and so does Gwazi, and Rithas... and all of us are already up-to-date.

...I'm not sure who we're using spoiler tabs for. But, I guess it makes sense to keep it up just in-case we're forgetting someone. ...Especially since I've been attracting some new members as of late, besides.
Because Fandomstuck has a decent number of players, some of whom aren't the most up to date watchers.

Hell I wouldn't have finished it this quickly if you hadn't talked me out of trying marathon the damn thing.

I haven't seen it. I don't get to see it until like, Tuesday, or something, because our internet and the fact we don't get the BBC, so...

:3 Speaking of which... aren't you glad I did?? XD
Eh... I'm neutral. :P

I like having been able to talk about it as it airred.
But I'm also a sucker for the marathon experience.

There's other shows I can do that with though. XD

Eh... I'm neutral. :P

I like having been able to talk about it as it airred.
But I'm also a sucker for the marathon experience.

There's other shows I can do that with though. XD
You can always re-watch things, too. XD That's another thing that can be enjoyable.

Not just to see events from a new perspective (knowing what's going to happen often makes you notice a lot of interesting things), but also because it's amazing just how much you can forget over time. @_@

You can always re-watch things, too. XD That's another thing that can be enjoyable.

Not just to see events from a new perspective (knowing what's going to happen often makes you notice a lot of interesting things), but also because it's amazing just how much you can forget over time. @_@
Maybe... I'm not a big fan of that though. :/

Cause I've already seen it.
I like watching new things, getting surprises, expanding my library.
But that's my point: there are new things to see, because you're seeing things from a different perspective and noticing things that you otherwise wouldn't have.

Plus, you forget more than you realize over time -- it's possible to completely forget certain moments and be surprised by them all over again. XD

That's just my take on it, anyway. I really value shows with a high rewatchability value (and I will definitely say that some have more than others), and Doctor Who is pretty high up on that scale, imo.

But that's my point: there are new things to see, because you're seeing things from a different perspective and noticing things that you otherwise wouldn't have.

Plus, you forget more than you realize over time -- it's possible to completely forget certain moments and be surprised by them all over again. XD

That's just my take on it, anyway. I really value shows with a high rewatchability value (and I will definitely say that some have more than others), and Doctor Who is pretty high up on that scale, imo.
Yea there's some new. But there's even more new in something... new. :P