• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
But there's a difference between one-off stories and one-off stories that all feel so different in tone that it makes the whole season feel just a bit awkward. I dunno, it's hard for me to place my finger on it.
So basically it's a tone issue, not a one-off story issue?
Father's Day is still kind of a huge offender, though, because not only did it establish "laws of time" that were completely ignored after the fact, but its presence in season 1 makes it seem like it's trying to establish rules and concepts that will stick around or at the very least come back later. But they don't. :/ It's just a weird entry in the series.
The only rule I can remember them breaking here since then was "Don't interact with yourself", and they broke that in "Day of the Doctor".
Which I assumed was because "They're all the Doctor, they know what they're doing".

But it is true that the rules they mentioned never did seem to come back later.

IT'S OK MY FIRST EXPOSURE TO CLASSIC WHO AT LEAST WAS ALSO A COMPANION DEPARTURE EPISODE AND I CRIED FOR THAT, TOO.

ALTHOUGH THAT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT IT BECAME KNOWN AS ONE OF THE MOST SHOCKING AND HEARTBREAKING DEPARTURES OF DOCTOR WHO HISTORY. BUT STILL.

Man re-watching that episode after I'd actually gotten to know Adric well was just brutal. D:
Yeah..."sad"...I totally Didn't smile.

I mean the death itself was shocking and sad but uh...

Adric Sucks bro...

But there's a difference between one-off stories and one-off stories that all feel so different in tone that it makes the whole season feel just a bit awkward. I dunno, it's hard for me to place my finger on it.
Eh, Season 1 certainly is different. But as you kinda said....It's a fun different. Full of fart jokes and such. Dat Finale tho

Father's Day is still kind of a huge offender, though, because not only did it establish "laws of time" that were completely ignored after the fact, but its presence in season 1 makes it seem like it's trying to establish rules and concepts that will stick around or at the very least come back later. But they don't. :/ It's just a weird entry in the series.
Father's Day is my favorite (aside from parting of ways) Season 1 episode.

I dunno why but it's just so great for some reason. Also...Weird CGI reaper things that will never be shown agaaain!
he only rule I can remember them breaking here since then was "Don't interact with yourself", and they broke that in "Day of the Doctor".
Which I assumed was because "They're all the Doctor, they know what they're doing".

Plus, Rules are always going to be broken.

Doctor who is fight club...cause there ain't no rules...aside from the few rules that the fight club actually does have that they say numerous time....

Plus, Rules are always going to be broken.
It's impossible to avoid when one's central theme and plot point is time travel. :P

It's impossible to avoid when one's central theme and plot point is time travel. :P
And when the show's been going on for about fifty years...

And when the show's been going on for about fifty years...
It's a recipe for plot holes ahoy. :P
But it's part of what makes the show so lovable too.

So basically it's a tone issue, not a one-off story issue?

The only rule I can remember them breaking here since then was "Don't interact with yourself", and they broke that in "Day of the Doctor".

Ohhhhh they broke that rule multiple times.

Also,

Weird CGI reaper things that will never be shown agaaain!

This was more what I was getting at.

Yeah..."sad"...I totally Didn't smile.

I mean the death itself was shocking and sad but uh...

Adric Sucks bro...

*curls up in the corner and cries* You be quiet.

I'm aware that the show breaks its own rules all the time, which wouldn't bother me so much if Father's Day wasn't A) a season 1 episode, and B) seems like it's trying to establish a lot of concepts that are supposed to be around for longer.

I mean, the way it talks about those reaper things and how they feed off of flaws in time or whatever -- it makes it seem like it's trying to establish something that'll come back later. Although it doesn't. A lot of this has to do with the fact that it's a season 1 episode, which gives you all the more reason to think that they're establishing essential stuff, especially since this is the first real timey-wimey episode of the 1st season.

But, again, this is just why I don't think it makes sense to tell people that they have to watch season 1 before everything else. I don't hate Father's Day, nor the rest of season 1, for that matter, just pointing out some things that I think are off about it (like seemingly establishing important time travel rules that are promptly broken), hence why I think it's not necessary for every fan to slog through it as I can understand why some wouldn't like it.

But since that's already been made clear...

On a sidenote: is there any other Fandom out in the real world right now? I mean, I can easily make a point of FF having some sort of scanner on board, considering how just about every single FF ever has a magical overlay map and several of the newer ones have a minimap that actively shows you all NPCs wihtin a certain radius, but you can't find what's not there.

On a sidenote: is there any other Fandom out in the real world right now? I mean, I can easily make a point of FF having some sort of scanner on board, considering how just about every single FF ever has a magical overlay map and several of the newer ones have a minimap that actively shows you all NPCs wihtin a certain radius, but you can't find what's not there.

Do you mean any fandoms in the RP? Or just any fandoms in general?

If we're just talking about PC's, then there's Team British Scarf Nerds, still.

And as for all fandoms in general, well, I'm sure there are a decent number of them scattered across the globe at any given time.

I should really get started on that intro post for AVPM but I don't know if I should wait for Kat to post for HP first

hrm

I should just post for everyone else first though so I'll get on that

Do you mean any fandoms in the RP? Or just any fandoms in general?

And as for all fandoms in general, well, I'm sure there are a decent number of them scattered across the globe at any given time.
Well, I mostly meant someone for the unlikely duo to recruit. From an IC standpoint, going after a large group like that would certainly make sense (and from an OoC standpoint, it could easily lead to amusing situations ^_^)

I mean, the way it talks about those reaper things and how they feed off of flaws in time or whatever -- it makes it seem like it's trying to establish something that'll come back later. Although it doesn't. A lot of this has to do with the fact that it's a season 1 episode, which gives you all the more reason to think that they're establishing essential stuff, especially since this is the first real timey-wimey episode of the 1st season.
Now that you've mentioned it... It is odd that we've never seen them since.
And honestly I'm happy about that, they weren't that interesting a foe.

Hehe, foe.

This would also give us a good reason to abandon Cybermen and Daleks... for now at least. :P

Well, I mostly meant someone for the unlikely duo to recruit. From an IC standpoint, going after a large group like that would certainly make sense (and from an OoC standpoint, it could easily lead to amusing situations ^_^)
And I could RP with myself...
Easy to make longer posts when you're playing both characters. XD

What is going on?

Somehow I'm currently pointing out all the flaws in Doctor Who season 1 even though I'm usually the one defending it in these types of situations. Actually I'm usually defending virtually any flaw in the show, either that or embracing them as a lovable part of the show.

So yeah this feels weird.

Additionally, I've noticed that the wi-fi in this room always seems to stop working around this time of day and I wind up using the personal hotspot on my phone. >>

Ah, alright. Well then yeah that's the only group in the human realm.

Now that you've mentioned it... It is odd that we've never seen them since.
And honestly I'm happy about that, they weren't that interesting a foe.

*shrugs* Like I said, the show didn't know what it wanted to be yet. That's why season 1 was kind of hit-and-miss if you ask me.

This would also give us a good reason to abandon Cybermen and Daleks... for now at least. :P

The tough part will be convincing Doctor Who to just up and leave, though.

He can't just discover a potentially dangerous alien presence and then leave before figuring it all out. That's never how the show works. :P

And I could RP with myself...
Easy to make longer posts when you're playing both characters. XD

Ahhhh yeah no. Let's not do that.

So.... Is that a veto against Team E.A.N. meeting up with Team B.S.N. (which sounds like the best news channel ever, by the way)?

The tough part will be convincing Doctor Who to just up and leave, though.

He can't just discover a potentially dangerous alien presence and then leave before figuring it all out. That's never how the show works. :P
Bigger alien threat.
Or he can pull a doctor trick so by heading for the tricksters he is somehow handling both.
But they'll both be there anyways... ;A;