• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The two sat in silence in the room for a while, then Selene said, haltingly, "I didn't know what to expect, but he's - calm." She looked at Phynex, to his nervously tapping finger and his other hand tightly around hers. To be fair, neither her and her father had very explosive tempers. When they were angry they tended to show it in a passive-aggressive way, but she was unsettled by how Father just stared at the two of them like that. She took his other hand to stop him from fiddling nervously, and gripped it firmly, tangling her fingers with his. "You don't have to be frightened," she breathed out and kept her eyes on his, "Just tell him what happened." Neither of the Averills appreciated secrets being kept behind their back, and that was why she had felt so devastated at first when she heard he had left because of - it still stung a little. He could have told her something... But she tried to ignore that. It had already happened. No use brooding over it any longer.

"When you were gone," she said quietly, "I put up our place for sale and stayed here for a while." In a way she didn't even want to leave - they had everything here, and the place was a lonely paradise in its own way - her father grew his own food and had the rest delivered, and she could just help him, bringing in the money from her work. They could have just stayed here, father and daughter, and maybe the last of their family. The former place she called home with Phynex was long sold away by now. She had felt like she was taking pieces of herself away with each thing she packed up and left untouched, stored at this place. Each of those things had memories behind them.

Other than work, or drinking, she had kept mostly to herself in her room. It was almost soothing to be back in the place where she spent her childhood, with its light blue walls and blue-violet curtains. She and her father woke up early and shared the work between them, other than tending the garden - no one but he did that - and they spent their meals in silence, before both were either reading. Or whatever her father did in the study, which was most likely looking at her mother's picture. But when she had spent almost three months like that, her father had come up to her room and told her to come out, there was someone at the door. It had turned out to be Jasper, and realizing that she had hurt him by staying away and not saying anything, it had woken her up. "Don't live your life like mine. You're still young," her father had said as she went to leave and spend the day with her friend, his grey eyes looking down at her and for once, he looked openly sad. Then his eyes turned to Jasper, who was waiting outside and appreciatively smelling the flowers of the season, and he nodded. "He's a good kid. Take care of each other."

• Love
Reactions: Mu
Phynex was silent, Selene knew her father much better than him, if she thought this was a calm response, then perhaps Phynex didn't need to feel so nervous. Although the man may look the same as the demon last saw him, there was no guarantee that his personality was the same. Now, his fingers were tapping impulsively to the beat of his pulse, a mere distraction, and a feeble one at that. His movements were halted by Selene, who had taken his hand, their fingers laced together. The worst case scenario would be her father not allowing him to be together with her. Hopefully, it would not come to that. He'd already suffered enough damage these past three years. The breath he had been holding came out with a 'whoosh', "Alright, I'll just tell him what happened and hope the best." He tried to reassure himself by giving the huntress a small, sad smile. "If something happens, then it's my fault," he murmured, he hung his head and clutched on to Selene's hand, staring at the entanglement of fingers. What kind of judgement would he pass? Phynex raised his head, looking steadily at Selene. Who better to ask than his daughter? "What do you think he's going to do to me when I tell him?" he asked, voice low.

Hearing about their sold apartment, he didn't blame her for he understood why, that place was full of memories that must have been painful for the huntress to remember after his disappearance. But the demon couldn't help but feel a little sadness. That place, though not big nor small, was the closest thing he could call a home. His home back in Phantisamine was nothing compared to the amount of freedom, warmth and love of their shared apartment. He recalled his habitual messiness; clothes strewn everywhere, dangerously high stacks of books and weapons carelessly tossed around. How many nights had he spent in the living room eating TV dinners with Selene, or prepared a well earned feast together? Or the times they raided their always healthy supply of alcohol and shared a bottle, reminiscing old times? Hot, toxic summers where they sat together with fans and air conditioning, too tired to go outside for a mission. Phynex remembered the constant arguing of who would need to go outside to pay the rent during these summers. Chilling cold winters where they sat huddled together under a blanket watching movies and falling asleep on the sofa. All these experiences did not exist in Phantisamine, in fact, his first ever winter was spent with Selene, who was kind enough to explain the sudden change in weather and temperature to a demon who had yet to grasp the logic of the human world.

• Love
Reactions: Hana
"It doesn't matter if it's my or your fault," Selene objected, voice stern as she looked at him with his head hung low. "We only have to move past that now." While she was sure it would still take a while for either of them to stop blaming themselves - indeed, she still wondered if had she been more observant, maybe she could have stopped whatever had made him think he should fake his 'death' - she didn't want either of them beating themselves up over it now. She was still curiously fearful and hopeful at once with this new chance she had gotten and she didn't want to get it wrong. "Both of us have been hurt enough already," she whispered, gripping his hand tighter. "So stop shaming yourself." At his question, she stayed quiet for a long moment.

What would her father say? From what she remembered, whenever she made mistakes he disapproved of, he wouldn't really show anger - he would only tell her she'd reap the consequences of her own decisions. When she had formed the contract with Phynex, as reported by a smirking Kasimir, he had only stared at her and said, "You had better step up your training. That demon is a volatile one." She had been young and inwardly cringing as she sat before him in the study, watching him sit behind his desk, and she was left floundering in surprise at his rather quiet reply, and the slight disapproval in his tone. But in the end he almost seemed proud - like she had grown into her own family's legacy. When Phynex had 'died', and she first told him the news in a cracked voice, he opened hesitantly reached out a hand to rest on her shoulder. Silver eyes were narrowed in thought, and open concern, as he looked at his daughter. "From what I know of that boy, he's not one to go down easily. I think something's going on." But when Phynex really hadn't turned up or come back and it was plain to her that he wasn't going to, he had just remained quiet and stared out at the garden as they sat together on the porch. They had sat rather close to each other in that day.

"I think... He would listen. Before, he already didn't seem to mind your presence so much." She said, slowly. Looking at Phynex pensively, she smiled wistfully. "We both would have wanted you told us your problem though." That may have given them an idea on how to help Phynex with his predicament with his superiors - and, if Kasimir felt like helping, if - she stopped. Such wistful thoughts weren't useful now. "And I... I just want you back."

• Love
It didn't? Phynex was sure it was his fault. After all he had done, what wrong did Selene do? He was the one who made the choice, he was the one who didn't stand by her side, but instead tried to make his own solution. He regretted it so much, but he didn't have the ability to time travel, if he did, he would have gone back and tried to fix things. Selene was more important to him than his own contract demon status, but he tried to put both of them in front of himself, now everything was in chaos. He moved his thumb to touch the creamy, soft skin of her hand idily. "It is my fault you suffered, that, I know." It was a difficult topic to talk about, but one he had to face eventually. Phynex was simply indecisive about how he should face such an conflicting issue.

Phynex sighed with relief. A listening father was a good father. He almost smiled. Phynex had grown to respect and care for the man, even though their relationship in the beginning was rocky and suspicious. If anything, he looked up to him. One could say her father had set the building blocks of dedication to a loved one. If he outlived Selene, he hoped he could be just as protective as him. Eyes set for only one woman, and continue a legacy. From the beginning where they made the contract together in that room filled with the compenents fo make a summoning circle - smelling of burning - a huge fiery demon rampaging against the runic bindings of the circle feeling confused and angry, to the day he had disappeared without saying goodbye, Phynex couldn't believe it was only three years. Their relationship seemed like it had dragged on forever, an eternity to him. And he was five hundred years old, he had seen plenty in his life. He had explored every nook and cranny of Phantisamine, memorised every building and city. Seen the castle and home of Lucifer himself. Been to the corner of Tartarus where he could hear the wails of the tormented and seen flickers and clips of the human world through magical mirrors, but never been able to feel or touch that strange world. Three years was a short and small number. But it was one of the highlights of his life. Her words made his face flush, pink creeped up his face. "And I, too." The demon leaned in for an embrace, or was it a kiss? He didn't know himself. He just wanted to get closer to her, smell her scent and feel himself drown in emotions that he'd got to know so well these past few years. Phynex released one of her hands and raised it, touching her cheek gently and lightly, so light it seemed like he didn't touch her at all.

• Love
"I'm not the only one who's suffered," Selene said meaningfully, looking at their entwined hands with a small sigh. She didn't want to go back and forth on this but she knew how terrible he must have felt, all alone and locked up under some place in hiding. And now he still couldn't move around freely like he had before, due to the possible suspicion that would be placed on him. He couldn't even come out of his building much, or did he cage himself in because of what happened? It was probably bad enough that when he first saw her again she was trying to kill him - even if they didn't really know who the other was at first. It made her shiver what could have happened if her knife had gone through him, the thought leaving her cold to the bone. She had been in that mindset that she had for killing - nothing mattered but the objective, and the objective was to kill - and then sound of his voice had broken her out of it, the way only he could have had. "I can't believe I almost stabbed you," she murmured, closing her eyes.

She sucked in a breath when she felt him move closer and looked up, and sat still when she saw how close he was. This was the face of someone she had held close and almost hurt, but now he still looked so warm and accepting, a gentle flush on his cheeks. Pink also crept over her cheeks as she felt his hand barely cup her face, a small shiver running through her at his touch once again. Even after all this time he was still able to evoke such reactions in her, and she - she hated it and loved him so much for it at the same time... Selene moved closer slightly, maybe to kiss, or maybe just to get even closer to his touch as she leaned her cheek into his palm.

Then there was a sudden discordant noise. Several keys were pressed down upon the piano in the room, and she jumped, moving away from Phynex's face as she realized how close they had gotten. Turning to look, she saw Kasimir smiling toothily before he started playing a careless, almost belligerent tune on the piano, with practiced hands. The demon looked over his shoulder at them and said, "Rather comfortable, aren't we? Careful, careful," he laughed, smirking at Phynex. "He might come back at the wrong moment." And with that he turned and played that rapid, fast-paced melody on the piano, almost chaotic, but beautiful in its own way.

• Love
He chuckled breathlessly, just being this close to her was ridding him of oxygen. "I wouldn't have minded if you stabbed me," he said, with a loving tone. He could feel her cheek warming under his hand, both from contact and her face starting to flush. With his long fingers, he reached out for a lock of her pale, pale hair and let it run through his touch. It felt like the finest silk, and its scent was just how he remembered. There was no words that Phynex knew how to describe what Selene smelt like. The demon just knew it smelt like her. It made him feel so warm, a different warmth. Not like the summer or as if he had ran several laps, but a warmth that reached his very core - and not a lot of things could do that to him. The huntress had ethereal beauty, something so enchanting that Phynex could hardly tear his eyes away for just a second. She was special to him in so many ways, and she was one of the few people who could calm him down. A raging monster who didn't know how to stop, Selene was someone who could easily slip on a leash and keep him in check when other people couldn't even approach him without being mauled. She could scold him as much as she could and Phynex would never return the harshness, to her, he was almost like an innocent puppy - to others, he was a giant ferocious wolf.

Phynex bravely leaned closer, he could feel her breath on his face. He was unmoving, wanted to savour the moment. After his return, they hadn't yet kissed like they used to. Only simple pecks and hugs. To return to such intimacy was awkward, and Phynex didn't know what Selene felt like at this moment. But at her silence, the demon lowered his face down, his breathing barely contained...

When a terrifying loud sound made them spring apart. His face was now more red than pink, his hand left her cheek and he turned around, not surprised when he spotted Kasimir near the piano, his fingers resting on the keys as he smirked at the younger demon. Phynex wasn't embrassed to show affection to Selene publicly, but he certainly didn't like to be interrupted when things were heated up. "My, my. I'm also going to guess you like to carry pianos scaring couples on Valentines, yes?"

• Love
Selene briefly felt colder than usual as Phynex took his hand away from her cheek, looking at Kasimir. The demon pretended to tilt his head and think deeply upon Phynex's aggravated question, even as his fingers played upon the keys. Then he suddenly stopped. "That's a thought," he said, snapping his fingers and then waving him off. "And don't be mad, lover-boy," he smirked at Selene's reddening face that was starting to match Phynex's flush, "If Daddy Averill caught you two, did you think he would be happy? Hmm? After everything you've done, he's still calm. But that might change." His eyes turned to Selene. "After all, he was almost afraid Selene would turn out like him. And all because of you." The huntress started, and then she glared at Kasimir. After all her words to reassure Phynex, it felt like the older demon was trying to undo and undermine what she said. And to so suddenly spill something about her father like that... Her eyes turned shadowed as she leaned forward, pale hair casting some darkness over her features. "It doesn't matter now, so don't think what you say would do otherwise," she said, voice going soft and threatening. At that, Kasimir's eyes turned half-lidded as he smiled. "That's what I want to see."

"Now, young Selene, come here and play the piano, won't you? Put what I have taught you," he chuckled, voice going low, "Among other things, to use." With a flourish, the demon stood up and made an elegant bow, motioning to the piano with one arm as he tilted his head to stare at her. She sat there for a moment, before she looked at Phynex. "Let me play something for you," she said softly, suddenly struck with an idea. Lifting his hand to her lips like he had done before, she pressed soft kisses to his palm, turning over his hand. Then she looked at Kasimir.

To be honest, she didn't even like the piano lessons Kasimir gave her. As a child she was still mostly afraid of him, and him hovering - looming, over her as she sat there, a young girl, made her playing falter more often than not. That was, until she realized that was his way of goading her, like with most things. Selene stood up, bringing Phynex to sit with her at the seat in front of the piano. She ignored Kasimir's eyes on them and brought her fingers above the keys, before she started with a slow, soothing melody.

• Love
"Indeed it is. In fact, I would love to join you," he said sarcastically. It seemed like a very Kasimir thing to do. "Someone as charming as you must have a lady," he added, winking at the older demon. He was getting used to the red haired demon now, although his words unsettled him, the effect wasn't as bad as before. Selene's presence, and that almost kiss, calmed him down considerably. He knew he was right, about her father. He could be very unpredictable, just like him, and his opinion of him must have changed these past three years. Phynex wanted to say he was going to try his best to fix everything, mend what he had done to himself and Selene to the best of his abilities. But he kept his mouth shut, Kasimir would simply twist his words and lower his confidence like he was trying to do now. The younger demon stared back cooly at the red haired demon, watching him shift his attention from Phynex to Selene. As long as he didn't get his hands all over her, he was content. Phynex wanted Selene to smell like her, not of Kasimir. Sometimes, Kasimir made the world just a little more amusing, for example the taxi driver.

Phynex's eyebrows rose yet again, Kasimir taught Selene the piano? Interesting. He looked at Selene's fingers, beautifully smooth and had the perfect shape and length. The demon would be sure they were perfect for a pianist. The demon smiled to himself, he was so deep in love that he could almost imagine Selene as an angel and believe it was a realistic thought. He remembered one time where he had gotten drunk from downing too much alcohol - as usual - and Selene had to go through hours of nonsense and his strange antics. He had refered to her as an angel who cast judgement on sinful demons, beautiful yet deadly. Phynex said what was on his mind, and out of the blue. He barely remembered it the next morning, but he didn't know why Selene was acting a little differently. Only later in the day, after his hangover cure, did he realise what he had said. It was a rather humerous memory to him. Selene's words snapped him back to reality, and hearing what she said, he nodded and smiled, encouraging her. To his surprise, she reached for his hand to kiss, enticing a chuckle from the demon. This was something he did often, and it was odd to see it come from Selene.

He rose with her and moved to the piano, carefully positioning himself next to her. His eyes moved from her fingers playing on the keys, a rhythm to a song he didn't know - he had no musical talent whatsoever - to her concentrated face. He did not have much care for music, and the song she was playing did not ring any bells, but it was soothing and soft and gentle to his ears.

• Love
"I'm not as good as Kasimir but I can play well enough," Selene said with a small smile as her fingers danced upon the keys, the soft and rhythmic notes playing out around them. The music she played was in direct contrast - and possibly defiance - of the music that Kasimir loved, which was either dark and dramatic, or churning and chaotic, both beautiful but causing conflicting emotions. The music playing around them was peaceful and soft, reminding the listeners of water flowing in the river, smooth, undisturbed and unhindered. When the music did speed up, it was more of the uplifting side, something positive to lighten the listener's day. She had long considered if she could play this for Phynex - back then she hadn't really played, and for him - knowing he would enjoy the soothing music. She leaned a little against Phynex as she played a few pieces, while Kasimir started to look a little bored standing there.

The music had started to die down, the notes soft and starting to slow as the door to the living room opened. Mister Averill stood and stared at Phynex and Selene, who were sitting close together on the seat of the piano. The man's sleeves were rolled up, showing surprisingly muscled arms even if he only stayed at the estate, and he wore a white apron over his clothes. For a moment, his expression clouded... And then he blinked slowly, as if coming out of a waking dream of remembrance. His face smoothed out again, but not before both his daughter and Kasimir caught it. He turned his head away and glanced to the side, in a similar gesture to Selene's, as he spoke. "Let's eat. You can talk over there."

"Thank you for the meal," Kasimir said with a smirk, "Even if you think I am always unwelcome." You always let me in, though. Selene turned to Phynex, ignoring Kasimir's remark, and smiled slightly. "I hope you enjoyed that. I could play for you some other time," she stood up, and waited for Phynex to as well. Her father seemed to be staring at the piano again, an unreadable expression on his face, before he nodded to Kasimir. "Leave them be," he said, voice quiet and stern, making Kasimir chuckle and shake his head, before both exited the room.

• Love
"You play beautifully," he complimented her, his smile widening as he looked into her face. Most people would expect him to have a music preference, and he had seen plenty of other contract demons with earplugs on, pop or rock music playing loudly when they walked past each other or stopped to greet. Phynex enjoyed this soft tune, peaceful and slow. It made him feel weightless, like he was floating on a body of water and looking up at the clear blue sky. Everything around him was almost like it came from a painting, tall grass that reached his waist swaying and waving in the wind, the colour of the lush green grass changing into different shades of green as the wind blew by. Tall trees in the horizen, a deep green with flashes of blue and red from birds that nestled deep within it's branches. Phynex had closed his eyes and he could feel weight on his side, casually he wrapped one of his arms around her waist, the smile not yet disappearing.

The entrance of her father made the demon open his eyes and release her waist, he eyed the man back, the smile fading away along with the music from the piano. From here, Phynex could see the muscles of his arm, results from years of hunting demons relentlessly and countless hours of training. Learning how to use this and that weapon, correct poses, repeating the same drill over and over. Running laps around the city in the mornings, lifting weights...a tedious training regime but very effective. He announced that the meal was ready, but Phynex wasn't sure if he was invited. Not that he was very hungry, all the nervousness had eaten all his hunger away. Mister Averill didn't say anything, leaving Phynex to just follow Selene and hope it was the best option.

He turned to look at Selene, his eyes brightening. "That would be wonderful," he murmured, a twinkle glinting in his eye.
"That was very enjoyable, I would play something for you too, but you know I don't have talent for music," he added, standing up with her. Watching Kasimir leave, he felt the aura that always hung gloomily around him leave as well.

• Love
"Hm, you sing passably," Selene reminded him with a smile. She didn't mind at all if he had no talent, or so he said. She stood there with him for a moment before she let out a breath, straightening her posture. With what was about to happen, the talk that was inevitable, both of them had to gather their nerves. Even with her composure she got from her father, she still couldn't fully escape those silvery eyes whenever they were set upon her. Her father had a way with staring and the subtle expressions that flitted across his face, making one feel as if he was seeing through them and seeing them for what they are - at the same time.

They had set the bookbags on the sofa in the living room, and quickly, they followed after her father. To the sounds of where it seemed like the man - and Kasimir - were already at the table. Walking the completely silent halls of the house made her wonder again what the house was like when there was still the rest of her father's family. His siblings, they must have occupied these spaces with their laughter and their roughhousing - since she knew only she had deceased uncles - and they must have sat once in those numerous bedrooms on the upstairs floors. The house now was beautiful, but it could definitely do with the sound of people and children... She glanced at Phynex to watch his expression before looking down at their entwined hands. If he was willing to live in this place with her once they could... She did have a strange, poignant dream once. She had never particularly considered having a family, though that had to be thought about in the future - maybe her father would be happier then. A girl with dark, dark hair and mischievous violet eyes with a fair haired boy with dark eyes, running across these very halls before the girl was picked up by the man with dark hair and eyes. Spinning her around in the air, laughter and the boy's jealousy and asking for attention as well. And then she had woken up to an empty room all by herself, suddenly remembering that Phynex was supposedly dead. She had probably drunk more after that just to get a dreamless sleep.

Her thoughts were put to a halt as they finally entered the dining room, which was also a decently sized place for a large family. The table was long and elegantly carved from dark wood, and the colors of the room were warm browns and rich dark reds, the dining chairs with soft white cushions. At the head of the table was her father, sitting there but still not eating, and at his left sat Kasimir. There were two more places at his right side that were set up, and without a word Selene sat at his right hand.

• Love
"Do I?" he asked, he was surprised. He didn't recall singing around her, nor did he have anything to sing. He was not the most knowledgable when it came to the human world, he always needed to rely on Selene when it came to those matters. Songs were not at the top of the list back in Phantisamine. Compared to the human world, that place was dull and lifeless. When he had returned from hiding, everything was so difficult. He spent most of his time in the library learning about the human finance system in order to make the building blocks of the Phoenix Industries. Phynex had actually thought of the name over a bottle of beer. He was a fire demon. His name sounded like the mythical bird. And thus the company was born. The demon had a lot of support, with many lower tiered demons coming to him in need of weaponary. He found his job disgusting, as his loyalty was to the opposing party. But it wasn't just the making of a company that was hard for him, it was the fact that he was alone. He had no Selene to turn to, no Hunter's Society and the group of demons he had called his friends. To get over the memories that stung him whenever he thought about it, he drank and drank. Phynex had plenty of money, and he spent them on booze to make himself drunk silly. He rented his own apartment, knowing he couldn't return to the one they had shared. Everything about his new home was cold and unwelcoming, and he missed waking up to her voice. As the years went by, he slowly began to lose hope of seeing her again. Even if it was just a glimpse, a glimpse of her face or the back of her head, would suffice. He was always surrounded by assistants or business partners, but he never had the heart like he used to.

He was silent when the both of them followed Mister Averill, most of the house was familiar. Phynex didn't recognise everything immediantly, but it was all there at the back of his mind. It didn't surprise him that everything was so quiet and dead. No little kids running around delightfully or family members sitting together talking over a cup of tea and snacks. Just a big house for one man. Everything was beautiful and all the furniture were well placed like the living room. A soft and soothing environment. Whenever the demon spotted the huntress looking at him, he would cast her a small smile.

The dining room was as big as he remembered, the table beautiful and made from fine wood. Unlike the living room, which had the same white theme of the exterior, this room was much darker - but contained the same warmth. Browns and reds that seemed to surround you like a blanket, and highlighted by contrasting white cushions. He glanced at her father and Kasimir, and followed Selene, sitting in the empty seat beside her. The table was silent, excluding the occasional sound of utensils clicking against plates and bowls. The butterflies reappeared in his stomach, he looked to Selene, making a face as if to ask what he should do.

• Love
"I had to warm some food up. Didn't expect anyone to come," Mister Averill stated, making the other's eyes fly up to his face. He leaned back in his chair, silvery eyes focused on Selene and Phynex, not looking at Kasimir on his left. He motioned to his own plate and bowl, having already gotten food for himself. There was a tureen of soup placed in between the plates, of what seemed like squash - hot and creamy, colored a pale yellow with bits of green herb sprinkled on the top. There was also a basket of bread, the kind that was filled with some dark meat. The most was a plate piled with fresh greens, along with tomatoes, and even slices of fruit. Some kind of salad that the man had put together. He obviously put some thought on the guests, even if there was little to be shared. Selene knew that if there weren't any, the man would have been fine with just one small dish. "Now get something for yourselves," he said as Kasimir poked at the bread on his plate with his fork.

Selene quietly did as he told, spooning some soup into the small bowls set for her and Phynex. Catching the look on his face, she only quirked her brow, before leaning in close to his ear just enough to whisper inaudibly - which was hard to do in a room with a hunter and another powerful demon. Kasimir had probably caught it, too, as he smiled at them across the table. "Start from the beginning, and why you had to do it. I will explain how we met." Her father wouldn't take anything less than the story coming from Phynex himself, and she watched as her father idly forked a crisp slice of apple and lettuce, while watching them.

• Love
Though he wasn't hungry, the smell of the heated food tickled his nose and made his stomach rumble in protest. He was already here, the least he could do was eat something. From what he could see, everything looked well made and delicious. The soup had the strongest smell, it was an aroma that wafted around the whole table. A ladle was sticking out of the tureen, ready to be picked up. The salad was colourful and bright, made with fresh vegetables and fruits that must be have been soaked in salt to preserve the colour or freshly cut. The demon didn't say anything, his mouth sealed shut, not knowing what to say or do. His eyes were roaming the table, Mister Averill, who was looking at both him and Selene and Kasimir, who's eyes were down and playing with his food. Phynex had to explain himself sooner or later, and he knew right now was the best time to do so, but he was just far too nervous. He thanked Selene for giving him some of the soup and listened to her advice. Knowing that Selene was there to back his story up, some of the butterflies settled. He took a deep breath, and let everything out.

"Mister Averill," he began, sucking in some breath. "I should explain myself, and what happened these past three years." Selene's advice tickled his mind, he was grateful she gave him a starting point. "I suppose you know who the elders are, yes? The demons that hold the book containing the names of every contract demon to date," images of them appeared in his mind. Some of them were old and wizened with age, others maintained their immortality and looked around his age. Nevertheless, they were powerful and terrifying, all of them harsh. "They didn't approve of what I had with Selene. They wanted me to terminate the contract and destroy is completely. And to prevent me from seeing her, I was chained down and binded to the underworld," he had already told Selene all of this, and his heart felt heavy retelling the story. "I didn't know what to do. So I faked my own death to escape them." Phynex hung his head, "I had the choice to stay with Selene and disobey them, and take whatever they would have sent to us...but I didn't. That's all my fault," he lifted his head to look at her father, his eyes darkened.

• Love
Selene stared Phynex as he began his explanation; then looked to her father. Mister Averill stared down Phynex as he began his explanation, a quiet sort of intensity in his eyes. At the mention of the elders, his eyes dimmed and shadows seemed to appear on his face, making his cheeks seem hollow. As Phynex continued that he was locked down in the underworld, her father seemed to go out of whatever darkness had come over him. "The elders' rules have always been old and unfit for these times," he said quietly, turning to Kasimir. Kasimir had seemed to sit still at the mention of the elders, and after feeling the stare on him, he started chuckling. "Those old fools will have what's coming to them," the demon said silkily, shaking his head in mock sadness as his amber eyes seemed to flash out at the others in the room.

Another thing to wonder about was what exactly had caused the elders to banish Kasimir - though there was the dark reminder that even the elders were wary, maybe even frightened, about what he was capable of. But seeing that one flash in the normally flat eyes of his - what did they do to him? "To hell with their rules!" Kasimir said cheerfully, a venom approaching the honeyed voice he usually had. "I was right to teach one of them a lesson," he shared to them. "Even if it did get me banished."

"You should have just told us before," Mister Averill finally said in the eerie silence that was left after Kasimir's words. "Kasimir and I have also had a brush with them from before," he closed his eyes. "Though it cost us." There was something tired in her father's voice, and he sighed, suddenly looking old and exhausted. Selene looked down at her plate. "But it's done, and the damage has been dealt," he opened his eyes and set a grim stare upon Phynex. She wasn't sure if he meant the past, or the present, or both. Then he looked at his daughter. "You said you will explain how you met," and Selene inwardly winced. So her father either heard that - or he predicted it. Nothing really went past him in his own home, and looking back it was foolish to think she could just whisper about things. He probably had a ward or a spell open any given time in some areas.

"The raid I told you about," Selene began this time, and her father didn't seem fazed. The raid that had cost the lives of many - he must have seen many similar things in his own time. "The families of the victims demanded payment, and the society could only try to agree to it." She looked at Phynex. "They asked me to kill the head of the Phynex Industries," she said, and her father didn't look too surprised. They had both known how anger and losing control could warp one's decisions well, maybe too well. And the hunter society's leaders could only agree, though now they were probably questioning the decision due to her not coming back. It had only been two days, but a lot could happen in a short time. "Phynex is the head of that company," she said, meeting her father's eyes. Her father turned to Phynex. "But he didn't lead any raids."

"But that's not all to the story," the man murmured, face unreadable. Kasimir grinned and stood up, before he moved behind Selene's chair, holding on to her shoulders. "Silly girl, did you think you could leave out the attack on you?" At that a sudden shift seemed to come over her father, and a sudden protective - but at the same time murderous - intent filled the room before it seemed to seep back into her father. "No." Her voice was slightly thin as she sent Kasimir a look, looking up at him as he stared down at her.

• Love
All the air Phynex had kept inside while he explained his situation to him escaped, and with that heavy weight finally off his chest, he relaxed his chair. At his statement of the elders, the demon couldn't help but agree. "I do agree their rules are rather outdated. It is like they think every demon doesn't have emotions," he muttered. When he had told them about his feelings after they confronted him, they looked so surprised and disapproving. Without hesitation they binded him to the underworld, spending many hours telling him he was a disgrace to his own race for falling for a human. Phynex spent several days there, taking in all the insults and batting them aside, but it was hearing Selene call for him - even with his true name - and knowing he couldn't come to her side. Day after day, her voice became more and more desperate, and that desperation and worry broke his heart. "I heard your daughter call out for me so many times it was starting to hurt, but I couldn't move from where I was bound to," he murmured, swirling the soup with his spoon. He was idily staring at the creamy soup below him, waiting for Mister Averill's answer. Carefully, he raised a spoonful of the soup to his lips and swallowed it, tasting the liquid and letting it slide down his throat. It was delicious, just as it smelt.

"I regret not saying anything. That is something I hate myself for even now," he instantly replied to her father, his eyes rising up to meet his. "I would have prefered to fight by Selene instead of doing what I had done." How could he explain how much guilt he felt? Phynex thought he had betrayed her, his partner, the woman he had made a contract with. Someone he had bonded with for years. He detested himself. When he was sitting there, unable to move, he thought about what Selene would be going through. The pain and confusion, why wasn't the demon coming, even when she tried to summon him with his true name? Over and over, her voice echoed in his head. He couldn't sleep, couldn't eat or hydrate himself. Phynex was broken.

It was Selene's turn to explain now, how they had met. She spoke about the raids the demons had carried out. Bloody fights where the humans stood no chance. The warehouse was taken over almost instantly, their heads mere trophies for the gloating demons. "I do not lead the raids myself. The lower tiered demons like to take that job, it gives them more to boast about," Phynex spat, his voice laced with malice and hate, thinking about the demons who had no morals and simply liked to cause destruction and chaos and widening the rift between humans and demons. It was disgusting behavior, and Phynex told them multiple times he did not want to get involved in bloodbaths. "I wasn't surprised the society would send someone after me, but I didn't expect Selene," he looked at her with a small smile.

Kasimir's words seemed to have an effect on her father. Instantaneously, his facial expression changed, guarded and dark. Phynex could feel something akin to a demonic aura surrounding the room, emitting from her father. The dark haired demon leaned in to explain, "Cornelia is a demoness who runs a company almost as powerful as mine. She's scared of being targeted by the society, but she's most afraid of Selene. Cornelia knows her as the 'Huntress' and some of her capabilties through rumors. She sent one of her minions in to attack her, that's how we met for the second time," he quickly told him.

• Love
"Yes," Selene said, taking over where Phynex left off. "I was also out with Jasper at the time. The demon attacked in neutral territory," here, her voice was slightly troubled. If some demons would deign to attack even in a place that was respected by both sides, what would happen to those who lived there? Those who declared their neutrality or didn't fight the humans or demons or what side their race was supposedly against. People like Millia could face more trouble now, or did the news of the demon's death give enough intimidation to keep them away? She had to come and check on those in that place some time. "We have to come check on Millia and the others soon," she mentioned to Phynex. Returning to the topic of the demon, she sighed. "It wasn't particularly a deadly demon with the right weapons, but it got me." It was particularly shaming to say it in front of her father, and she looked down. There were times that it felt like even if she was already a grown woman - and one of the deadliest hunters, if not the most, in her generation - it still paled in comparison to her father and Kasimir's years of experience and wisdom dealing with all sorts of demons. And that was true.

Kasimir chuckled slightly as he looked down at her, tapping her shoulders. "I heard news of some large, tentacled demon showing up dead in those areas. Not quite your trademark work with how bruised and mauled the body was, except for maybe its slit throat and pierced heart." A small purr seemed to rumble from the demon's throat at the remembrance of the kill, appreciative and admiring, almost, as he momentarily squeezed her shoulders before returning to his seat. Her father's face was carefully blank, and he nodded for her to continue. "Well..." What else was there to say? "Phynex came in... And I had to go back to Jasper's to get treated. Later in the afternoon, I ran into him again, and we talked to meet up earlier this morning." She kept her face even as she said this, leaving out the part where she passed out - she had a feeling both could read in between what she said, anyway - and how they spent a rather intimate time eating in the Giovanni restaurant. The latter seemed a bit too... Personal, and something she preferred to keep with Phynex.

"I take it you want to unfreeze your contract," Mister Averill said after a moment of watching the expressions play out on her and Phynex's faces. "And you came here. For advice." He frowned at Phynex. "For some three years, you seem to still feel rather close to each other. But can I trust that?" He took a moment to take a long drink of water.

• Love
Phynex nodded at Selene. If Cornellia had the guts to send her minions into neutral territory, Millia and the other humans and demons who have decided to be neutral members of society could be in danger. Before, both parties knew it was a place of relaxation and serenity. No fighting amongst both species, and in return, high quality and delicious food and the freedom to talk to humans and demons. "Cornelia gets bolder the scared she is. Selene is becoming more and more of a threat to the upperclassmen," he said, almost with a touch of pride. "The one we fought was one of her favourite ones, I've seen them around in parties." The woman was always seen wearing summery dresses and her partner - or octopus body - always accompanied her. Following Cornelia around and watching her with adoration their pitiful faces. Most of Cornelia's minions were always related to insects and plants. He shuddered, remembered the day she had lovingly invited him to a romantic dinner. Not wanting to upset her, Phynex agreed, only to walk into her sucking the body fluids out of a human male assistant. Needless to say, he rejected her advances again and again. There was no way he was going to be romantic with someone like her.

Phynex glared at Kasimir's actions but said nothing, his jaw set. Under the table, his hands found hers, and he held onto it lightly. The demon noticed she had left out certain parts of the story. But he understood why she wouldn't want to tell her father or Kasimir that she had passed out. A famous huntress, taken down by a minion. He squeezed her hand gently to ease any of her negative feelings. And the part where they had a run in at Giovanni's was also left out, he smiled to himself, that was a personal and intimate moment for the two of them, hopefully Mister Averill would understand why Selene would not share.

"Yes. Unfreeze the contract. Or some other way that wouldn't inform the elders. I cannot make another contract, since that will tell them that I am alive. By unfreezing it, my name will simply remain in the book, covered in ink like it is now but the binding still in effect," he said. "How can you trust that?" he shuffled in his seat. "Is there something I can do to make you 'trust' what we have?"

Mister Averill stared at Phynex for such a long moment, his face set in a frown, that Selene held her breath. What could they prove to him that he could trust? "Did you know, I was considering giving you her hand when she is of age, when you would have been together for at least four years, and if she wanted to?" He said to Phynex quietly, and Selene felt herself freeze in her seat. That hadn't been something she had ever heard before from her father. What? "I had always wanted to see her dressed in white one day." The huntress felt like letting out a sudden breath, but tightened her other hand on the edge of her seat and fixed her stare on her father. Even if he considered that she would be around this age - and hunters didn't get married at this age, it hadn't even really crossed her mind yet back then. What was he thinking? He looked to the side, outside the wide, floor-length windows that were framed by deep red curtains currenly pulled back to let in the light from outside. "She always seemed so happy with you. She was starting to seem more like her actual age. More and more everyday, she was looking like her mother." There was a look of wistfulness on his face, poignant in a way that would stick in her mind for days."

Her father was talking so much more than he ever had in the time she had known him. She was stunned, and even Kasimir seemed to stop playing with his food to stare at him. "She used to remind me of myself." Indeed, she had never particularly taken after her mother except in the features of her face, but her bearing and her expression - the way she held herself, it was all her father's. "But with you, she smiled like the sun and I can't stop thinking of Soleil," he closed his eyes, seemingly feeling some ghost's touch upon his shoulders, and looking lighter for a few moments. "And I was starting to trust you," and that was were his voice went grim.

"I'm not going to speak about what happened when you... died," the word seemed to leave something distasteful in Mister Averill's mouth with the way he said it. "That would be between the two of you. But you hurt her," and at that his eyes seemed to tighten, for a few long moments Selene wondered if this was the moment he would actually show anger - then he seemed to exhale. "And you hurt yourself at the same time. Pretty stupid decision on both your parts. But in this world, you are still a boy," he murmured. Phynex still didn't know all about the lives of humans and how they lived - loved - and how they could sometimes act, on earth. "I will help you, but you two had better learn to talk more to each other. Learn to connect again, secrets kept from each other will only hurt you." He stared at Phynex. "And if you pull something like that again, I will find you..."

• Love
The second spoon of soup was halfway to his mouth when he froze. His eyes widened, taking time to focus on her father. Marriage? That act of binding was certainly something he had not considered at all. But when he thought about it, he wouldn't say such vows to anyone but Selene. He bit his lip, but was it really alright for a hunter to marry a demon? Wouldn't she feel uncomfortable, being with someone like him, someone who was at his age when compared by humans? These were the reasons why he never considered marriage. He knew of it, but the circumstances might not be appealing to her. Listening to her father, what he thought of their relationship from his point of view was so strange. Did she really seem happier with him? Their relationship must have made her father happy, to even have been reminded of his own love. Phynex looked at his face, seeing a facial expression that he couldn't explain, like a yearning for something that had already happened, a wish for the past. The demon then peered at Selene, who was just as surprised as he was. So this wasn't a topic she had ever brought up to her father, or the other way around.

Even Kasimir had stopped doing whatever nonsense he was before to stare at the man. Was this a rare occurrence? He doubted the older demon would care about them getting married, but Phynex knew something was out of place if even Kasimir was distracted. He looked back and forth between the three of them, his face becoming confused. But Phynex turned his attention back to Mister Averill, who had begun to speak again. Selene was harder to read, she was an expert at hiding her emotions, a good skill when it came to undercover missions. Phynex knew he made the huntress happy, but not to what extent. Hearing that description from her own father was like an elixir to boost his confidence.

But he knew with such positive words, would come negativity. He listened to him, silent, the shame and guilt returning. "I'm sorry, sir." Words were harder to pronounce, and sentences were trapped in his throat, unable to come out. "I promise you I won't ever do anything like that again." The demon swallowed to moisten his throat, which was horrifically dry. "I won't hurt your daughter. She means a lot to me," he managed to choke out. Selene was the only person he really had any feelings for. He had no blood family, and no one in the human world apart from the huntress. If he lost her again, he would be utterly alone.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.