Status
Not open for further replies.
Selene's form was tense as she looked to the door, before feeling the demoness draw closer to the shop, and she turned to Phynex. "This is a library for hunters. Don't underestimate my family," she whispered, following after him behind the bookshelf. When the door opened with a slam, she clenched her hands before breathing out, mustering her calm. She grabbed his arm before pulling him further into the depths of the dark library, steps swift and silent and with care not to disturb the almost lifeless and stale air of the place. She trusted enough that he would also be silent as she pulled him along, maneuvering around the rows and corners, turns of the shelves with ease borne from memory. They stopped at another door at the southmost part of the shop. Of course, there would be a room behind the shop. It was the small storage room for any extra books, papers and scrolls.

She opened it, hand pressing against the door to let the ward recognize her by her bloodline, before pulling Phynex into the stifling, cramped room. Afterwards she locked it and for better measure, used the wards as well. It really was a shame that she couldn't get more help in learning the spells and wards with most of her family gone, they had all sorts of purposes and most of what she knew didn't even cover what they were capable of... There was a small cot as well in a corner, and a small lamp. A small window was high up in the wall letting in some light, but it was mostly dark. There was a table laden with more and more books and scrolls, and cabinets that were on the wall above it. She pushed Phynex on the cot before leaning in and whispering, keeping a wary eye on the door, "Don't do anything with your aura. Conceal it slowly so she'll think you've gone away."

Outside of the shop, a figure stood. His hair was the color of red so deep like blood that had been left out for long, so dark a red it was almost purple-black. Eyes with a stare that was both amused and flat - eyes that saw through the void and looked back, for there was nothing - watched Cornelia and her guards.

They weren't the eyes of a man, not even what you would ever want to see on man or demon.

Otherwise... He looked like a human being; a handsome face, a lean figure swathed a long, dark brown coat. "What have we here." His voice was soft and pleasant, and like the sharpness of a blade being drawn upon skin to the others' ears. "A little lost demoness."

• Love
Reactions: Mu
Phynex let the white haired woman lead him deeper into the library. With a hand he covered his nose, careful not to breath in any of the floating dust. Everything in here was older and even more undisturbed. Spiders freely crawled around from what he could see, their cobwebs large and unbroken. The air here was terrible, but just bearable for him. If he sneezed, Cornelia would know where they were. Phynex tried to follow her example and step in between the books and scrolls that were scattered around on the floor. As they walked, his wings slowly shrunk back into the flesh on his back, the muscle twisting and turning like a worm until it disappeared, the glow of his eyes were snuffed out with the disapperance of his wings. The demon avoided bumping into the shelves, he depended on Selene to lead him, the least he could do was not make a sound. It was very dark and it seemed like the only solid thing Phynex could feel was her grip on his arm. Knowing Cornelia could be right behind him, Selene's presence provided much needed assurance and comfort.

He felt her tug and pull. The demon was standing in a rather small room, barely furnished, but was lit more than the rest of the library. He said nothing and lay down on the cot, stretching. There wasn't another door and Cornelia definitely couldn't just jump in through that tiny window. "Ever since I made a contract with you, my aura has not been strong. Hopefully, she will not sense it," he murmured. The air here was much clearer, much to his delight. He cocked his head and blinked at Selene, "Have your superiors tried to dispatch Cornelia yet?" he asked. Surely, they must have gone after her before him. Was he that much of a threat to the hunters?

The hairs on Cornelia's back stood up. Something about that voice was full of power and authority, it sent chills up her spine. Slowly, she turned around, her eyes widening. Cornelia had never really heard his name before, not a lot of demons dared to speak his name. For someone like him, he was incredibly famous yet mysterious. It was like the Huntress, like most business demons never tried to speak of her. But in this case, even the higher ranked demons were scared of this...thing. "You. You're that filthy contract demon, yes?" her words were soft and full of fear and her tiny body shrunk. The guards beside her clearly knew who he was, after all, who didn't? They were frozen in their place, their eyes as wide as plates, faces showing respect and fear.

Reactions: Kitti
Selene settled down beside him on the cot, sitting by the edge. "Your aura is powerful, but you've gotten experienced with hiding it," she murmured, eyes set on the door. After hearing his question, she turned to him with carefully blank eyes. "After the... Raid... Everything was in uproar," she said, voice flat and quiet as her eyes looked slightly distant, remembering the families huddled in one of the hidden safe places, screaming and crying in rage and grief. Everyone demanded the blood of the one who was at the top... "The people weren't thinking right. All they could think of was to spill blood in return," she looked away from him. She remembered the fevered look in the people who had lost someone's eyes, the way they whispered and touched her even as she brushed past her. How she had to kill the one who thought this up... In the end, even the superiors of the hunters had to comply with the majority's demands. They tried to justify it by saying it was better to cut off the main head instead of a smaller snake. And in the end, it was actually Phynex. "Did you really think of that?" She asked after a tense silence.

Outside, with Cornelia... The man did not laugh. But he did smile, and it was the eeriest sight that came to Cornelia and the demons, who for all their bloodlust and greed hadn't ever seen someone who could smile and emit a feeling of sheer malevolence. It was like he was a cup, and the cup was overfilled with the intent to kill, spilling over the delicate edges. Even if he seemed fully in control of himself... "Come now," he said pleasantly, amber eyes seemingly widening and dilating with interest. He was such a beautiful, beautiful man, with a voice that could easily charm others into doing things they should have thought over first. His long, deep red hair gleamed in the light outside, neatly tied at the nape of his neck and over his shoulder. "There's no need for such harsh words," his smile widened slightly as his eyes narrowed into slits before he was back to that soft smile again, and the dark, malevolent intent suddenly sharpened like a knife, pressing down on Cornelia and the guards. Any building anger from the demoness was suddenly pressed down with the feeling of a razor edged knife, and that if it were sentient, its attention would be like this man's lovely amber eyes. If he leaned foward... You might bleed...

Kasimir was beyond the morals of both human and demon. There was no master to him and he was the master of himself... His loyalty to the demons was an amused, careless sort of loyalty. It was for this reason he was exiled from the underworld. If he suddenly felt he was working on the wrong side, he had no qualms turning his claws on his own fellow demons, and with great pleasure as well. Some said he had passed the precipice a long time ago, but some said it was due to the loss of someone dear to him that caused him to let go of all the useless bonds that bound him to both underworld and earth. That someone like... That hunter had tamed him, even for only such a short time - was anyone's question.

Before Cornelia or the guards could blink, Kasimir trailed a cold finger down Cornelia's cheek. He had an arm wrapped around the demoness in a casual, careless way, one hand caressing her back. "I am bound to no one, demoness," he breathed in, and whether it was the demoness' heavy fragrance or the scent of her blood and the past blood that she had shed that made his eyes light up, it was anyone's guess. "But this little library here is mine, and I do not take kindly to others enroaching upon it." His hand behind her back suddenly pressed a little more, the feeling of claws emerging and pointing at her rapidly beating heart. After a moment, he pulled back, and smiled. "That said, what brings you to my humble little shop?"

• Love
"I suppose that is understandable," the demon sighed softly. Out of all the raids the humans grew angry about, it had to be the one Cornelia wasn't co-leading. But he guessed it was anger that grew and grew over time, stacking and stacking until it tumbled down and the hunters could stand no more. "It is my fault. I should have done something," he turned over to lay on his side, his body facing her back. "I suggested the idea but I never personally killed a human, the contract we had prevents me from doing so." If he didn't do anything, the other demons would suspect him,mand he would have to hide all over again. Underground where no one could hear you and no one cared. No warmth, no partner to hold onto for support and no one to look for your back. Almost everyday he had to run away from those who looked for him and made sure he was dead. Being a contract demon had many perks, and in his case the bad outweighed the good. Romances were looked down upon and uncommon...sexual contact was considered taboo - almost. Phynex thought what they had between them made his actions understandable, but that wasn't what the elders thought. The demon frowned and reached for Selene's hand, taking it gently and rubbing the skin with the pad of his thumb. "I promise when the contract is unfrozen I'll dismantle my own company and nobody will have to suffer," his smile was small and sad. His other arm was propped under his head for support, his eyes were dark and full of guilt.

Cornelia tried to think of at least one instance where his name was said, or a book or any sort of documentation, whisper it, tell him to stop messing with her mind. Rumor has it that his words were like siren magic, soothing yet controlling. A tongue that tipped each word with poison that could easily persuade the weak. As much as she tried to unscramble her brain, such information was not found. The demoness cowered in her spot, her body shuddering. "I-I don't understand how some of us can revere someone like you." She tried to stand up and possibly intimidate him, though with her short stature, that would be impossible. "You betrayed your own people for some...some human!" She may not be a powerful demon, but she could sense something dangerous around her, so,ething that could threaten her life and existance. Instantly, her bravado disappeared.

At his touch her body shivered, but it was not cold. The man in front of her was incredibly beautiful, she would never admit it, of course, for he is - or was - a contract demon. She was not one to fawn over betrayers. His touch was cold, icy cold, and she could feel pressure on her back. Cornelia tried to pul away, but then thought better, it was clear he could easily overpower the three of them. She clasped her hands and smiled nervously, "Oh, this is your book stores? Pardon me, then." The demoness giggled, but the fear and nervousness was still written plain in her body language. One wrong move and she could die. Squeals and a gasp threatened to leave her throat, something was pressing against her back, sharp tipped and right where her heart would be if the object plunged forward. Her hands became clammy, was he going to kill her? When he pulled away, she almost sighed with relief, and the guards beside her relaxed their shoulders just a little, from what she could see from the corner of her eyes. "I, um...thought I saw someone I knew come inside," she whispered, averting eye contact from him. Cornelia was finding it hard to breathe.

• Love
Reactions: Hana
The idea of Phynex leading a raid was a bitter pill to swallow, and Selene almost pulled her hand away from his. She knew there would be suspicion if he seemed not to favor the 'raids' the demons were fond of doing, but hearing it from him, that it was his idea that started it made her feel very cold inside. "Just tell me you didn't lead it directly," she kept her eyes down and away from him, voice slightly strained. If he lead it directly it would be a willing action in the eyes of others and she didn't know if she could go to such lengths. When she looked up again she saw that he looked very, very sad and full of guilt. She really hated how the war between the humans and the demons had twisted both sides to commit such... Things. It wasn't even the wars that had happened among humans in the past. The way the demons were bearing down on humans... "I can't hate you," but even I have my boundaries, she left unsaid. She ignored the memory of Kasimir whispering to her, the greatest of hate comes from the roots of the greatest of love. You can never truly hate someone if you have never loved them, my sweet little huntress. There are such sights that I could show you if you just let useless bonds crumble away into the dust. She would rather be killed if that was what her feelings would turn to, and Phynex had never done anything. She would rather delude herself if that was the case...

Kasimir smiled down at Cornelia, eyes roaming over her face and seeing straight through her. "Reverence? Why, you flatter me so," his laughter was bright and his voice lovely, even as his eyes were flat and almost reptilian as he stared at her. "Demons have become so... Predictable," he said evenly after his peals of laughter died down, leaving the ever-present smile on his face. "Humans, though? So very, very malleable. So very, very alive. It gives me so much pleasure to see them either soar... or be crushed down as they go through life." Either way, it was all very entertaining to him. "And don't flatter yourselves," he said with a honeyed voice, walking over to the entrance with a languid pace, his arms hanging by his sides. "I was never bound to you people in the first place. Even demons still believe in bonds that it is laughable. What are they but mere ideas that you like to see as something meaningful?"

"And as for the visitors," his eyes brightened again, as he looked over to the darkness of the inside. "I will take care of them." He then turned to face Cornelia. "Now, please see yourself out of this library..." The threat... No, promise - Kasimir didn't make threats, he made promises - was clear to the other demons. He entered the library with a smile, and as he closed the door he gave Cornelia a small grin.

• Love
The demon shook his head lightly, "No, I didn't lead it personally. I...don't leave the office much." Phynex never really had the reason to leave, nor did he want to. The excitement of exploring the city was gone when he lost Selene. What was the point of just wandering around alone? He already spent most of his time making weapons or something stupid like that for the demons in his building, why go out and waste more time for business, when he could just sit behind his desk and relax - even for a little bit. Only rarely did he go out to eat at his or her favourite resturarants or cafes to relish old memories. Phynex already disliked making weapons for his own destructive race, his contract - though frozen - still tied him to the humans by a single thread. He was not loyal to the demons but to Selene, and for three years he had been. Even after being cast away he was still loyal to her and her only. It took a lot of effort to detach himself just so he could muster the courage to sign weapon contracts, all he could to look Cornelia in the eye and smile as if she was a valuable partner and friend. Inside, Phynex couldn't care less. "Nor can I hate you. And I never will," he murmured. His eyes were closed now, his face serene and peaceful. "I'll always love you."

"Predictable?" Cornelia raised her eyebrow. She was well aware of his arm, still draped over her shoulder. She pursed her lips at his words, "You were born a demon, and you shall always be a demon. We are the superior race, and we demons should not mingle with filthy humans. But you, you made one of those contracts. What did you wish for, huh? Why do demons even need to wish? We should just take it and leave without being tethered to them," she growled confidently. This was her point of view and nothing would pull her away from it. She saw no reason why demons that housed so much power and potential could just give it to some idiotic human.

Cornelia knew staying in this man's presence was no good thing. With no other choice, she cast one more glance into the darkness of the library and turned to leave, the guards following her swiftly, their bodies hunched and shuddering as they fled past him. The demoness wasn't sure if Phynex was inside, but perhaps she could call him tomorrow in the office.

• Love
Selene watched his face as he spoke, wondering what it felt like to be caged just in his building. It was just like with Jasper... But with Phynex, didn't he love to explore the city? Find places and things that no one else had... They had done that together in the past. It made her sad, that he would just confine himself in that quiet, well furnished, but impersonal office that he had. He used to be much more lively and teasing as well, and now he just seemed sad and guilty. She held her breath after hearing him say those words again, with that peaceful look on his face. "I..." She stopped after a moment and just squeezed his hand back, a feeble attempt. Watching him look so calm and peaceful, assured of his feelings for her made her throat tighten. For just a moment, her other hand hovered above his face, nearly reaching to touch out his cheek before she lowered it by her side.

She just kept quiet as she checked upon the wards again, before sucking in a sudden, startled breath.

Kasimir only laughed about the demoness' words as he felt her presence recede, tasting the fear of the guards and Cornelia herself and grinning at the feeling. What was the joy in merely taking? "You wouldn't know since you have never tasted how sweet it could be, Miss Cornelia," he said to the empty space of the shop. Smiling softly, he padded through the silent and dark library. So she was here... "And such a near miss as well. Selene, haven't I taught you better?" He chuckled. It was about time he payed her and her father a visit, no matter how much either of them flinched on the outside or the inside. They could never turn him down after what her father's foolishness had cost Kasimir... There was one thing that the demon could never let them forget. Even if he still 'helped' the shambles that was left of their once great family, her father would never forget the price. And he would make sure that Selene would remember her father's folly well.

It was a shame that the huntress was now rather resistant to him, though. Reaching at last the little room at the back, he felt the door give under his force, and only laughed gaily at the sudden feeling of electricity and pain race through his veins. She had used a ward? Well, at least that was thought through. Pushing it open, he was met with a rather odd sight. The young lady he had seen grow up was inside with another demon... Oh, that demon. Well, that would be for later. For now... Selene stood up and met his eyes before bowing, and he smiled. "My little huntress," his voice was almost warm, a mimicry of what true warmth was like.

Selene met his stare quietly before bowing her head. "Kasimir." Her voice was back to being blank and void of any inflection, and only when the red-haired demon called her by that nickname did she raise her head again. "Come," she heard his pleasant voice prompt, as he motioned towards himself before holding out his hand.

Being tucked inside a cramped room was not one of Phynex's favourite things, but at least Selene was here with him. Hearing her sentence incomplete, he let out a little sigh. "Yes...?" deciding Selene didn't have anything to say with words, he squeezed her hand back, a strong squeeze. He warmed her hand in his and continued ever so lightly stroking the skin with his thumb. Feeling her solid presence was welcoming and reassuring, and they were spending time together, which made Phynex's heart flutter a little. The demon couldn't tell if Cornelia was gone, he could not sense any auras, probably because the wards prevented him from doing so. He seemed to be sleeping, breathing steady and paced, eyes closed and a peaceful face.

At the sound of another one's laughter caused Phynex's eyes to snap open. Immediately, he sat up and eyed the stranger at the door. "Who are you?" he growled, eyes fixated on the man. For minutes he stared at this strange but beautiful man. It was definitely some sort of demon, but Phynex didn't know what kind. He had the face of a bad angel. And why did Selene know him? Was it possible she made another contract with a demon? His heart sunk a little. The demon didn't quite approve of that nickname. Phynex had already established the fact that Selene was his. 'My little huntress' set off all sorts of alarms inside his groggy head. He cocked his head, 'Kasimir' was a name he recognised, from meetings and when he was still living in the pits of Phantisamine. Slowly, realisation dawned on him. The famous contract demon, the one with a black heart. He had no idea why such a celebrity could be doing here - and looking for Selene - but Phynex was going to be very wary from now on.

"He was my father's contract," Selene said quietly, not looking at Phynex as she heard the other demon chuckle. Looking into the older demon's amused amber eyes, she stepped forward and took his hand. As always, Kasimir was rather cold to the touch, and he leaned down to press cool lips to the back of her hand. When he straightened back up, he grinned at her and Phynex in an almost friendly manner, as if they were old friends who had just reunited after a long period of time. "Ah, Selene, I thought your special demon was gone? What is this sight that I see before my eyes?" The huntress glanced at Phynex. "He's alive," her tone towards Kasimir had turned almost... Accusing. Did he know something she didn't? He always seemed one step ahead of her and her father despite everything...

"Oh, alright," Kasimir shrugged one shoulder elegantly, tilting his head to regard Phynex. As always, the heavy, choking feeling hung around him like a cloud, and now it was focused on Phynex with mild interest. "I've watched you and little Selene. A demon and a hunter? I have to say, if you're acting, it's almost convincing," he smiled a smile that didn't reach his eyes. Selene made to pull her hand away from his, but his grip tightened almost imperceptibly. She narrowed her eyes at him. She knew Kasimir didn't believe in any bonds at all. She wasn't sure if he even believed in anything... But hearing him turn that logic on Phynex was making her insides cramp up. "We're not acting. Neither of us are." Her voice was just as calm and flat as his.

Kasimir cocked his head curiously at that. He pulled her towards him and cupped her chin in one palm, peering down at her as his expression turned eerily serene and contemplative. He stroked her cheek with one finger, ignoring the tense set of her jaw, before he trailed his finger to one corner of her lips. "You were always such a cold fish, my dear girl," he shook his head in feigned disappointment. "If you would just stop deluding yourself, there are such sights that I could show you." The oddly ecstatic smile returned at that and Selene turned her head away. For all his lack of care, this demon had a flair for the dramatic. Didn't he notice that? And he kept on telling her those words again, as if killing was the ultimate pleasure that one could have. From what she knew of him, she knew it gave him an unholy thrill, a visceral pleasure. It made him euphoric, and was the only thing that he felt so purely.

"But if that is what you choose, then who am I to object?" He let her go, and she immediately pulled away and crossed her arms. "What brings you here, though?" She didn't reply at first, turning to Phynex and grabbing his hand. "Later," she muttered, knowing he would probably want to talk about her father being Kasimir's former contract. The 'insane wolf' of the demon world, there were rumors he also cannibalized and mutilated his fellow demons. Even among the humans, despite his immense power, no one would ever want to make another contract with him. She led Phynex out of the small room, brushing past Kasimir who stood with a raised brow, and breathed out.

• Love
"Your father?" Phynex folded his arms across his chest, but his eyes were still dark and clouded with suspicion. "So you are one of us?" for a contract demon, he didn't exactly make Phynex feel comfortable. Contract demons were a close knitted group, especially the ones in Nora. As much as they watched their partner's back, they watched out for each other so no one could easily be targeted by the demons out to kill them. A second family, Phynex called it. Kasimir wasn't someone he was familiar with personally, but knew him through thousands of rumors - most of them terrifying and questionable - and the man in front of him had a bad reputation. No one wanted to mess with this guy. Kissing a lady's hand was a customary greeting, old fashioned but sometimes still performed by the older demons, but Phynex couldn't help but feel that monster inside him stir. He knew Kasimir possibly had his own reasons as to why he was so friendly around Selene, and he was going to have to accept it, but he wasn't happy the older demon was laying hands on his partner.

"I'm flattered. I considered a career in acting once," he said in a toneless voice, barely concealing anger. He eyed the older demon. He had expected him to understand, but everyone already knew he had a few screws loose. Crazy, mad, they say. After his contract ended, no other hunter even tried or considered summoning him. The demons didn't want him back, a wanderer between the two races. Sounded heroic, but this demon was far from that. The demon could feel something surrounding the older one like a weapon, he couldn't see it, but he could feel it - and it was powerful.

Chills ran through his body and snaked deep within, he wanted to tackle this stupid old ass demon to the ground and punch the daylights out of him. Just a fantasy Phynex knew he couldn't carry out. Every one of his actions were uncomfortably intimate and he had the guts to let a single disapproving snarl out from his throat. There was no way he was going to let this dangerous thing get so close to his Selene. The huntress belonged to him, not 'Kasimir'.

Before he had a chance to do anything to express his rage, Selene had had grabbed his hand and led him out of the room, away from Kasimir. Phynex was genuinely surprised but said nothing, his face visibly grateful he didn't have to see the two of them get too close for comfort. He heard the huntress breathe out, so the demon walked to stand in front of her. "Are you alright?" he asked, voice soft and caring. The rage was starting to boil away, replaced with concern for her. Clearly, that wasn't a planned visit.

"You don't have to be suspicious," Selene said quietly as she looked to Phynex, before glancing in Kasimir's direction. The red-haired demon stood in the doorway of the small room, still watching them with that detached, mildly curious look on his face. "He's always like that, as far as I could remember since I was little." She had seen how intimate Kasimir would act around almost everyone, even though that changed... Became just a bit chillier when it came to her father. There was an almost arctic chill in the pleasant smile the demon wore whenever he talked to her father, but he still visited even then. She was startled at the sudden snarl from earlier, and it looked like Kasimir seemed happy to get a reaction. She didn't want to see an enraged Phynex, not now... Though she felt a bit glad that she wasn't the only one who hated the way Kasimir got too close.

"We don't know why he still comes to us. Every now and then..." She trailed off. Kasimir kept his own time and only visited when he felt like it, but why did he even want to? From what he kept on reminding her and her father of, he could never forgive her father. But all these years... Training her, giving her cryptic, and not always sane, advice... There was one thing she knew, though. He had tried to let her see his way, but she would never fall for that. Even through all the cloying fear he sometimes used back then, she still remembered the human kindness and her few friends. There was that dark period when she had considered if he had the right idea - just those times when Phynex was gone, but there was her father, and Jasper.

Kasimir walked over to them and raised an expectant brow at her. "... We're reading on contracts," she said, raising her voice slightly and keeping it firm. The demon smiled, not at all looking surprised - it made her narrow her eyes. "Ah, you wish to tie yourselves together again," he murmured. "Well, there are some books..." He spun around and held out his arms, looking around the shelves. "But you will need your father," he said with a grin. Selene looked unfazed, so he continued, "And I'll be coming with you two." He tapped her cheek with his finger again. "Is that alright?" It wasn't a question, and even if either her or Phynex answered no, he will still do as he pleases. "And next time..." He ruffled her hair... "I might not be there to stop Miss Spider from sinking her claws into you." He rubbed some strands of her white hair between her fingers, breathing in the scent. "So be more careful. If there's any that would see Averill blood being spilled again, from you or your father... It would be me."

• Love
"Always like that? Lord, how do you deal with him?" he muttered under his breath. Hopefully Kasimir wasn't exceptionally good at hearing. "So he's been around you since you were a child? I don't know what to feel about that," he added, turning around to eye the older demon with obvious distaste. He just looked so dark and unpleasant, but he had plenty of charm. Phynex snorted, he would make a brilliant actor. Maybe Kasimir should go and pursue a career in acting instead of lingering around like a bat and getting close to Selene. He would like that. Now that they had left the room, Phynex relaxed a little, even though the goddamn demon was right behind them and could easily catch up to the duo. At least he was a few metres away, that strange foreboding feeling was gone as well, much to his delight.

"Do you think it's because he's attached to your family?" Phynex murmured. The idea of Kasimir being attached to his Selene made him feel sick to the stomach and his body shudder. Phynex thought about how their contract could have ended, Kasimir and Selene's father. Did it end prematurely or one-sidedly? He was curious, but did he have the guts to go and ask either of them? No. The demon squeezed her hand, for the whole day he was worried about Cornelia finding out about him, and Selene was there as solid assurance. It would be understandable and justifiable to be something solid for Selene to hold onto. He could tell she wasn't comfortable with Kasimir's...advances.

"What?" Kasimir was not going to come with them. But with his tone, it seemed like the older demon had already decided to go see Selene's father, anyway. Phynex knew he couldn't stop someone who was more powerful than him. He closed his mouth and said nothing, keeping the anger inside him and letting it seep deeper into his body. The last thing he wanted to was get angry and provoke the older demon. He silently watched him ruffle her hair and he scowled, raising his hand to bat his away. This guy was uncomfortably touchy, too touchy even for Phynex. And Phynex liked touching things. "Anyone can take down Cornelia," he murmured. "She's a parasite" The last sentence made him pause and his blood cold. Was that a threat? Foreshadowing? His hatred for this demon grew more and more. He clenched his fist, feeling the sweat that was gathering in his palm. He looked up at the red haired demon, "Excuse us." Phynex pulled her to the side, away from Kasimir for a second for some peace. "Does he always touch you like that? I'm not very happy about that," he snarled angrily, eyes glowing with annoyance.

• Love
"If it's attachment, it's poisoned... My father, he knows the most about this." Selene had felt a small chill go through her at Kasimir's words, but he was always like that throughout the years. She wondered if he just got a kick out of unsettling her since her father was rather numb to Kasimir, all things considered. It made her worry for her father's safety since he never seemed to care about anything... Neither of them really used their family name, Averill, anymore. People whispered nowadays that it had bad tidings, maybe even cursed from all their contracts with the demons. Considering what had ended them... She couldn't turn down what little help she could get growing up, even if it was from such a frightening and suspicious character. And in the end, it was Kasimir's suggestion that had led her to Phynex, wasn't it? She gave a small, helpless shrug as Phynex pulled her away, just squeezing his hand as she gave him a small smile. "That's the way he is," she said as she glanced at the demon who had, judging from the slight chuckles that burst from him, heard a bit of what Phynex was saying.

She had a sinking feeling that Kasimir was going to enjoy getting a rise out of Phynex for the duration that the three of them would have to go together. This time she pulled him along further away from Kasimir and more into the front part of the shop. She squeezed his hand again, noting the snarl still on his face and his eyes glowering in annoyance. "I agree that he would make a great actor, though. He has a knack for being melodramatic," she said, chuckling slightly and trying to calm Phynex down. "Now, let's get the remaining books and take them with us. I think there are a few bookbags left around this place."

The presence of Kasimir loomed and lingered, still with that feeling of muted unease now that he had mellowed more, around the two. The red-haired demon had followed after them idly, glancing at the books then watching the two interact with fascination. "I know the books," he said cheerily. "So this will be quick." Selene only nodded before moving to the back room again with Phynex. "Just wait as I get a bag or two," she told him, even if he didn't need to be here, it felt better. Especially with Kasimir lurking around the shop like that, she could hear his movements about the library as he got down books while perched on the ladder.

• Love
"You're mine," Phynex reminded her simply with a fierceness to his voice. His eyes were glowing, annoyance still present. During their relationship, his possessive nature was a big problem for the both of them. His nature was a turn off, but he had tried to tame the monster inside him without prevail. He just couldn't stand someone else touching her. Phynex could tolerate it if it were someone he knew or fond with but Kasimir was the complete opposite of that. Outside he seemed charming, but if all those rumors were true, he was scared for Selene. She was practically all he had. If being away from the huntress for three years did this much to him, her being gone forever would crush him. Phynex wasn't one to make new contracts. It would be an extremely difficult task to find someone like Selene. Even if he did, the warmth he had felt with her would never be the same. The CEO of Phoenix Industries couldn't even stand the presence of another demon. What would people think of him?

The further he was from Kasimir, the better he felt. They were back at the front of the shop where the air was clearer and more breathable. The demon returned the squeeze, lacing his long fingers through hers. "Don't let go of me," he murmured, his face turning the slightest tinge of pink. "I need to calm down." Obediently he followed around the library, trying to find the books they needed so they could leave as soon as possible.

He could still feel Kasimir's presence no matter where he went. Like a looming shadow that followed him everywhere and teased him relentlessly. Did he like to see him suffer? Sadistic, just like the rumors. But then again, a lot of demons liked to see others suffer - or inflict pain - a truthful stereotype from novels and fiction. Kasimir was following them, he was saying nothing, instead occupying himself by staring at them. Strangely, this made Phynex feel uncomfortable. He was used to being stared at, by demons and humans alike, but he was never really fazed when people were visibly staring at the CEO. Personally, he wouldn't even classify Kasimir as a demon anymore. He wasn't a contract demon, but officially a full-fledged demon. But no demon was like him, Kasimir was one of a kind, in a bad way. Apart from the lords and higher tiered demons such as the Crowned Princes, nobody else had that sort of choking aura around them, it made Phynex nervous and angry. The demon thought about Cornelia, who must have encountered Kasimir. For a second, he almost felt sorry for her.

Selene had colored slightly at his fierce statement, but didn't comment on it as she went about looking for the bags in the small room. He had always been like that and while it could be a bit irritating, it made her feel warm that he felt so strongly. In the past she had usually reacted with annoyance or knocking him up the head for being too aggressive towards others, but now she could only feel almost happy. After finding two that could probably hold together the books they would be getting, made of firm and slightly worn leather, she gave one to Phynex for him to hold on to. Looking at him, she could see the discomfort on his face as they both listened to the signs of Kasimir moving around. The older demon didn't have to fear about being heard or detected, the way he was now the ones who tried to pursue him would be the ones dearly regretting it. That was why he was almost rather careless with how he moved, though still with that deadly grace that reminded others that at only his whims he could have ripped into them with ease.

"Just put up with him for now," she said quietly, staring into his eyes. "I'm not anyone else's and I can keep reminding you of that," her voice was calm as she acquiesced to his claim rather easily, surprising them both. Back then she had always been a bit more annoyed and defiant, but still touched, and it usually took a while or more effort from him to get her to say something like that. But she could admit some truths to herself, and he had her a long time ago. Considering how his demonic form was draconic, and those of that kind were rather possessive over what they owned she had just tried to understand his views, especially as he always seemed rather guilty and ashamed of himself over his own outbursts. It still grated on both of their nerves sometimes then, but she had always found it rather cute. But when it came to times like this it wasn't really amusing for either of them.

After a moment of staring at him to get her point across, she turned and pulled him out of the small room again, one bag in hand. Now the sounds of Kasimir moving about on the ladder had gone, so the demon had probably gotten the so-called books he said that could help

• Love
She was silent, which didn't surprise the demon. She usually didn't have any comments for his usual...statements. He would admit that he was a blunt person. He had no troubles expressing hsi feelings with words, but the way he acted was a different story all together. Phynex remembered the many times the huntress would hit him, but he didn't mind. It never really hurt, and he could never bring himself to hate her in the first place. He understood he needed to be kept in place, sometimes he could get out of hand and Selene was one of the people who could calm him down for just a little - apart from getting drunk. Expressionless, he watched her look for the book bags they needed, he took the leather bag she offered, feeling the worn leather under his palm.

"I suppose I can put up with him for a while," he muttered. As long as Selene didn't leave him alone with Kasimir, he trusted himself to be able to calm down. If she wasn't there to reassure him, he knew he would probably leap onto the older demon and attack him. And in the process risk his own life. A stupid way to die, but Phynex was rash and reckless. He was surprised at her statement, lost for words at the moment. With nothing to say, he smiled. Since the appearance of Kasimir, he hadn't smiled like this yet. It was full and happy, full of unspoken love. He wanted to hug her and stay like that, but the quicker they moved to visit Selene's father, the quicker they could lose the older demon.

They were doing nothing but staring at each other now, the smile still on his face. The demon allowed himself to be pulled away and out of the room. The library was eerily silent, he couldn't hear the older demon doing whatever he was doing before they entered the room. He felt slightly nervous about that fact, but Selene had cheered him up considerably.

Kasimir stood waiting for them by the entrance, leaning against the desk with the registry book. He smiled as they came into view, and Selene merely looked to the books he had laid out on the table. Moving closer, she looked down at the titles of the books and was grudgingly impressed. There were older records of past contracts and notes about them, and in-depth books that were probably just lying around the place. She was a bit concerned that he knew the library so well, did he come here without her or her father knowing? Pushing aside that concern for now, she wordlessly placed the books in the bags she had brought with Phynex. "Let's go," she said more to Phynex than to the old demon, who just chuckled at her silent treatment and straightened up. Giving Phynex one bag and holding the other, she held his free hand as they then headed out of the shop.

The older demon then walked out after them with his hands clasped behind his back, that calm cheer on his face as he smiled at Phynex. Selene then pulled away from Phynex for a moment to lock the door, shaking her head. She paused at a sudden comment from Kasimir, her hand tightening on the doorknob. "You're doing a very good job keeping him leashed for a frozen contract. I'm impressed," the demon chuckled. As if I care about you being impressed. She didn't keep Phynex 'leashed'. "And he is such a soft demon, isn't he? Demons usually take what they want," his eyes turned to Phynex, probing him, before his stare returned to Selene from under hooded eyes as his smile widened. "Regardless of what others feel."

"Let's go," Selene said before things could go worse, grabbing Phynex's hand again and walking down the street. With how Kasimir was just thoughtlessly - no, purposely - provoking Phynex there would be a blow up if she didn't think quickly. "After we visit with Father, we could find someplace to read through these," she muttered.

• Love
The old demon was already waiting for them, the books laid out on the table for them to see. From behind Selene, he peered at what he could see. Most of them were records, of contracts, he hoped. It reminded him of the elders that were in charge of keeping records of the demons that made contracts. They carried thick books that contained the names and details of every single demon who made a contract and what they asked for in exchange for this bond. He used to be in that book, his name written in neat handwriting near the beginning of the book on one of its many pages made not of paper but of skin. But he wasn't in that book anymore. His name was crossed out after his faked death. Carefully, he loaded some of the books in the bag he was holding, avoiding looking at Kasimir who was leaning against the desk, looking relaxed.

When they walked outside, Phynex caught Kasimir smiling at him. Out of courtesy, he smiled back, albeit coldly. He felt Selene let go to face the door, his eyes not leaving the old demons' face. At his comment, the demon said nothing. Kasimir was probably trying to get on her nerves, but his comment had offended him slightly. He wasn't a child or a puppy. Hearing the old demon call him soft, something inside him cracked. "Soft? Soft? Me?" he snarled. "I come from Phantisamine! It's a harsh place and there aren't any 'soft' demons there," he added, anger and annoyance raising as he spoke. "Contract demons do not take what they want after the binding. We are all equal. I expect you to understand that," he growled.

Selene's voice snapped him back, like it always did. He turned away from Kasimir, he agreed with Selene, eyeing the old demon out of the corner of his eyes with hate written clear on his face. "Hopefully your father won't try to blow my face up again."

• Love
Selene winced slightly at the snarl that ripped its way out of Phynex, and held on tighter to his hand as she heard him go on and on. She had heard about his life in Phantisiamine, it truly wasn't a place for soft demons. At all. And she knew that Kasimir knew that... The condescending remark was out of line, but she bit her tongue as she heard Kasimir's responding smile with his eyes twinkling. The demon looked for all the world as if he was sharing some intimate secret with them with that look in his eyes that he had no right to have. She smiled a little at Phynex's comment about her father, seeing that he had finally calmed down. "He won't, but I don't think he'd be thrilled for now," she murmured, thinking back on her taciturn father, where she had gotten her quiet tendencies from. He wasn't a bad father, he was just... Silent. But whatever words he had to say to her she had always held close to her heart and in her mind.

"But he knows I take responsibility for my own decisions," she reiterated firmly. With how she had grown up it shouldn't have been any surprise that she knew how to take care of herself; she was usually alone unless she was training. "Besides," she smirked at him slightly. "Is my father really that terrifying?" This was one of the things she sometimes teased him about.

"Hmm, no," Kasimir's airy voice reached them again as he caught up, shrugging his shoulders as he smiled at Selene. "Maybe in the past, but now he's gone and ruined himself, hasn't he?" He chuckled.

Peeking at Kasimir's face from the corner of his eye, he could see the older demon was enjoying tormenting him. Instead of focusing back on Kasimir and getting angry again, he calmed down and looked at Selene. He laughed, but his laughter wasn't exactly happy. "Well, I would understand if he would want to shoot me. I did disappear for three years," he shrugged. He nodded furiously, "Your father is a terrifying human. But he is a good protective father," he added, his lips twitching into a smile. "If someone waved a gun at your face when you meet them, you would be pretty terrified, right?" Phynex sighed. If he just talked to Selene and ignored the demon behind him, he would be fine. Thank goodness she was here. Kasimir's voice was right behind them, blatantly answering Selene's question. Phynex ignored him, his face not leaving Selene's. "Where is your father now?" he asked Selene, raising his voice to mask Kasimir's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.