Battle of the Bands (MaryGold x lxngdon)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
j a c e
Jace slid to the floor and leaned his head back on the cupboard behind him, sighing heavily and trying not to cry. He needed to be strong, because, in the back of his mind, he knew he wasn't responsible for any of this.

But he still felt horrible.

"I know it's not my fault," he said to Embry, looking up at her. "But ... I spent all that time trying to make her happy. I must have done something. I wasn't good enough for her or something, I don't know."

Jace bit his lip ring and rubbed Embry's calf. "I love you. And I'm lucky to have you. I'm sorry this has gotten to me."

E M B R Y
Embry took great care in lowering herself to the floor beside him. She wasn't huge, no, but her bump was still large enough to get in the way and make things difficult. But she made it, plopping down beside him, sitting with her legs curled up beside her.

"You don't have to apologize for that either."
She tool his hand and squeezed it tightly in her own. It tore at her heart to see him this hurt. Now, she wanted to cry, but she refrained from doing so. She had to stay strong."I'm always here for you. If you need to cry, then you can do it on my shoulder."

She sighed, looking at him with her dark blue eyes through the fringes of her blonde hair. "But I want you to know - no - I need you to know that you have not done a single thing wrong. And that you're absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't change a thing about you, ever."

Embry kissed his lips lightly, barely pressing her lips against his. "It's okay, Jace. You'll be okay." She stood on her knees and held him close. "I love you. I love you so much."

j a c e
Jace listened to her with glistening eyes and skin, paled from how sad he was. He listened to her, and it astounded him that, somehow, despite everything, he had the privilege of knowing Embry Ashford. Of calling her his fiancee. Of watching her carry his child into the world.

He tried to keep composure but only a couple of seconds after she finished her little, beautiful speech, he burst into tears. Leaning forward and pulling her into his lap, being very careful of her bump, Jace buried his face in her shoulder and quietly cried as he trembled.

Everything was crashing down around his ears and Embry was the only solid thing in his life.

Jace collapsed against the cupboard behind him and cradled his fiancee to his chest. He couldn't bring himself to let her go.

E M B R Y
Embry stayed quiet in fear that if she spoke she, too, would surely cry. So, she stayed silent wrapped her arms around him, enveloping him in her love and hoping to console him with it. Because that's all she could do despite wishing she could do more.

And, though, she knew it would all pass eventually, her heart still openly bled for him. She closed her eyes and kissed cheek, continued to hold him tight and secure in her arms and gently combed her fingers in his hair. She would hold him and kiss him as long as he needed her too.

Only after Embry was sure he had finished spilling all his tears did she dare to speak. "Are you feeling any better?" Her tone was so soft she hardly even heard herself. Still, she kept her arms around him.

j a c e
Jace didn't know how much time had passed since he had started crying. All he knew was that Embry was there, staying with him and supporting him until the very end, like she had been doing from the very start. He would have been insane to think otherwise, and he was so lucky to have her in his life.

"I'm okay." He shuddered one more time, pulled away and planted a small, wet kiss to her lips.

Jace stood up and carefully settled Embry on her feet, making sure she was standing okay before grabbing a piece of paper towel to wipe the tears from his pale face. He felt like absolute shit, but there was nothing he could do about it and he wasn't going to bitch any longer.

"Right. Do you want to finish painting the nursery?"

E M B R Y
"Yeah. Let's do that." Embry nodded her head softly and grasped his hand in her own, giving it a soft squeeze. She couldn't think of anything more to say or do to make him feel any better, it that made her honestly feel on the shitty side.

But she did hope working on Luna's room would brighten him up if even the slightest. His happiness was all that she wanted. And if it worked, then she would feel somewhat satisfied.

"I love you,"
She kissed his cheek. Because she could never say and mean those three words to Jace Lesecki enough.

"Come on."

Embry led him out of the kitchen to paint their unborn child's room. Of course, after changing into more suitable clothing for the messy job. So, she had tossed on a white T-shirt and a jean overall dress that was lurking in their closet.

j a c e
Jace went into the bathroom and washed his face with cold water in an attempt to get rid of the redness under and around his piercing blue eyes. It helped a little, but it was still obvious that he had been crying, hard.

Jace changed into sweatpants and a holey grey T-shirt and went into the nursery to lay old sheets of fabric down on the floor, so the carpet didn't get paint on it. They had picked out a soft, almost white pastel pink that Jace adored. He had insisted on decorating the room in a little girls' style, though he would most definitely respect Luna's decisions in the future.

"I was thinking of doing some butterflies along here," he said, pointing to the wall the crib would lean against. "Maybe blue and purple. I don't know, I'm an okay artist but Jasper is really good so he might come and help, if that's okay with you."

They'd need to put the base colour down anyway so they didn't need to make any decisions now.

He handed Embry a roller on a long stick so they could get the tops of the ceilings and opened the large cans of pastel paint so they could begin.

E M B R Y
"We could do that with stencils," Embry tied her long hair up in a messy bun to keep out of her way. She twirled the long roller stick in her hand,"If you want more detail, we could call Jasper. I can help out too."

She loved art activities, whenever she wasn't working on music it was arts and crafts with her. And she had done quite a few inside mural jobs in her old apartment. But she would love Jasper to come and help, because it could be long and tiresome.

"We're not paying him, though. We'll just lead him on with the godfather position."
She smirked mischievously, dipping her roller in the paint tray.

The blonde also dipped the tip of her fingers in the wet pink to get a specific look at it. And instead of wiping it off on her clothes, she smudged it down Jace's cheek. "Pink surprisingly looks good on you." She laughed softly and began working on the wall as she did so.

j a c e
"I'll call Jasper, then. Give him something to do." Jace knew his best friend would love the chance to have a part in the decoration of Luna's bedroom. Even if Eadlyn won the godfather position, Jasper would still have a huge part in Jace's daughter's life. He was going to make sure of it.

Jace smiled as Embry smeared pain on his cheek. He found the gesture endearing rather than annoying, and he returned it with a pastel pink stripe to her own face. "It's also your colour. We should match for the next awards show."

Smirking, Jace began to work on the opposite wall from Embry so they could get the job done faster. While he painted, he glanced up at the ceiling. He had originally planned to leave it bare, but he got an idea.

"We should do a night sky on the ceiling," he murmured. "Her name is Luna, anyway. It fits. Jasper will love the chance to replicate Starry Night."

E M B R Y
"Van Gogh?" Embry looked above her, gazing at the blank ceiling and trying to picture it there. Starry Night. It was a gorgeous painting and it was an even more gorgeous idea to put it above them.

"You would have to call him early then, I believe."
Embry thoughtfully said as she continued to work. Rolling the roll up and down quickly, but efficient enough to get every inch, bottom to top

"I can only imagine how long it'll take him to finish it. "

j a c e
"I'll call him right now," said Jace with a slightly happier tone to his voice.

In an hour or so, when Jace and Embry had both finished one wall, Jasper arrived with many cans of paint and a large ladder. "Someone called about a boring as fuck ceiling?"

"Hey," said Jace, giving Jasper a small smile.

"Hey. You look considerably less depressed." Jace shrugged. "Okay. You two, fuck off, I have shit to do. Go do something fun."

Jace rolled his eyes and took Embry's hand. "You know what I really want?" he said as he lead her out of the nursery so Jasper could do his thing. "A spa. Luckily for us we have a Jacuzzi."

E M B R Y
"That sounds amazing right now." Embry put his arm around her shoulders as the walked. After all they had gone through, Jace especially, in one day, a relaxing hit tub treatment couldn't be any more perfect. And besides, her joints ached as well as her back.

So, a little dip in the tub was exactly what they needed. "Okay, let's go, Mr. Lesecki. No time to waste."

"And if I happen to fall asleep just make sure I don't drown." She said this jokingly of course, but still one hundred percent serious. She could and probably would nod off if the water was warm and soothing enough.

j a c e
"Well, damn. There go my plans to kill you and steal all your fortune."

Jace kissed Embry on the neck to let her know he was joking, and soon, the young couple was relaxing with the warm, bubbling water of the jacuzzi washing over them. Jace pulled Embry close to him, keeping an arm around her shoulders as the bubbles massaged his tired skin.

"I love you," he reminded her for the millionth time. "That will never change. I promise."

E M B R Y
They had opened the last gift of the Baby shower. And by now, Luna had a mountain of toys, clothes and other caring items. Obviously, their friends were just as excited about the birth of their little girl as they were.

Now more than ever seeing how their little Luna would be entering the world soon. In fact, they were only a day or two away from her due date. So, they had decided to throw the little party beforehand and currently all their friends were happy and chatting it up.

Embry, however, was having a rather hard time enjoying anything. Including her slice of cake, which was chocolate. And she loved chocolate! But the pain she was in was coming too quickly and too great.

"Hey, are you okay?" Eadlyn asked from her side on the couch arm, watching as she gripped her large, round belly."You haven't been saying anything for a while."

"I think ..." Embry breathed shakily and paused for a moment. "I think I'm - I think she's coming - my water ..." She couldn't even form a proper sentence, yet alone speak above a whisper.

"What did you say?" He leaned over to hear her clearly.

"I SAID I THINK SHE'S COMING!" Embry screamed, balling up her fist in her lap, her knuckles white. "My water broke."

There wasn't much more she could say, she was in a hell of a lot pain with the contractions coming so strong and close. She could care less about the wet spot between her legs made because of her water. She couldn't bother to even freak out about her child's early arrival.

j a c e
For a solid five seconds, Jace simply stared at Embry, completely still and completely silent. Then --

"Ohmyfuckinggod -- we have to get you to the hospital." Jace jumped to his feet and dashed to their bedroom, where he had been keeping a bag of a couple of changes of Embry's clothes for the past two weeks, in case she went into labour at any time. He was ready -- well, he thought he had been.

He was just panicking now.

"Fuck fuck fuck, where are my fucking keys --"

Ashley appeared out of nowhere and slapped Jace across the face. Hard. He stood still for a moment. "Why?"

"Because you're freaking out and you're useless. I have your keys, I'll drive you."

Jace helped Embry to the car and soon they were in a delivery room at the local private hospital while midwives fluttered around, doing their best to ease Embry's discomfort. Jasper had come in his car, banned Evan and Cass from the hospital since they were useless, and was standing beside Jace as the singer panicked heavily.

"Is she going to be okay?" he asked the doctor.

E M B R Y
"Of course, I'm going to be ofuckingkay!" Embry yelled at Jace, punching him without aim. She didn't mean or want to be harsh toward anyone, yet alone Jace. But, she was in pain and he was the one supposed to be comforting her instead of panicking. It only made her scared and panicky as well.

"I am going to be okay, aren't I?" She repeated his question, gripping the sheets tightly.

The doctor, a tall, dark haired woman, known as Dr. Ives, smiled at the couple reassuringly. By her relaxed stature, it was clear she had gone through this quite a few times. "She'll be perfectly, I assure you. There isn't a thing to worry about. She's progressing nicely with her cervix dilation and will be pushing very soon."

Embry breathed out a sigh of relief, or as relieved as she could be in her position."Okay. Cool. So, can I have a tank of anesthesia?"

"We give epidurmals not anesthesia."

"Can I have that?"

"I'm sorry, but your going to be pushing shortly. Even if we give it to you now, it won't kick in until after." Dr. Ives apologized before disappearing. Presumably to prepare for the childbirth.

Embry glared in the direction she had left in. "I hate her, let's get a new doctor. One that will give me some fucking anesthesia."

j a c e
Absently rubbing the arm Embry had assaulted, Jace sat down in a chair beside her bed and looked up at the midwives. "You can't give her anything for the pain?"

"No, I'm sorry." One midwife shook her head. "She'll be pushing in a couple of minutes, there's nothing we can give her that would work in time."

"You'll have to step outside, sir," said another midwife to Jasper. "We can't have the room crowded."

"Alright." Jasper clapped Jace on the shoulder and left.

Jace turned back to his fiancee and gripped her hand tightly. "It's okay, you're going to be alright," he said, trying to keep calm for her sake. "You can scratch my hand if you need me to. You'll be fine, princess."

E M B R Y
Embry reached for and held his hand tightly. Very tightly, her fingers dug into to his skin, she probably ended the circulation in that one hand as well. But she was really trying to feel 'okay' and 'fine', despite not feeling it a lot, it did help to hear Jace talk to her. And she appreciated it.

"I hope you're right." She whispered just as the doctor returned in her scrubs, ready to start.

Frankly, Embry wasn't sure she herself was ready. But Luna was saying otherwise, ready to be pushed out any moment now. And once they had Embry all set up and prepared, it was time.

"Remember to breathe with each push." Dr. Ives advised from her standing place.

Embry squeezed Jace's hand tighter, if that was possible. Because as much as a relief being able to push was, it was still painful beyond belief. Yet she didn't scream her head off during the process. She had clenched her teeth and breathed, and there were hot tears that slid down her face as well as her constant squeezing her fiancé's hand throughout out it all. Admittedly, the words of encouragement were helpful as well.

"We're almost there. One last push. Breathe."

Embry hoped so. She really did hope it was the last. It had felt like she had been doing this forever. She swallowed in a gulp of air and exhaled, pushing with all her might. And she did it, she was done.

The next thing she knew, she heard the small coughs and then the crying of a baby, their baby. Luna. One of the midwives were immediate to attend to the crying baby girl by laying her on top of Embry with a towel and proceeded to dry her.

j a c e
Jace wasn't even conscious of time anymore. He had spent the entire labour beside Embry, trying to be a sturdy rock of support for his fiancee. He had murmured reassuring words, asked the doctors if everything was okay, been reprimanded for doing so, kissed her hands and other things he deemed supportive.

After God only knew how long, a small cry filled the room and Jace's wide blue eyes remained transfixed on a small bundle of blankets being pressed into Embry's arms. He heard the midwives talking, explaining to Embry how the afterbirth would come out and she'd bleed for about a week afterwards but he barely registered this new information.

Luna. Luna Shae Lesecki was born, and she was right there, in front of him.

Jace bit down on his knuckles to stop himself from crying. He had a child, a daughter. He was a father.

"Luna," Jace whispered. He looked at Embry and kissed her on the forehead. "I'm so proud of you. I love you so much."

E M B R Y
Embry only nodded her head at the information she was being fed by the midwives. It was hard to focus on anything they said, or anything around her, when Luna was laying in her arms. Luna, her daughter.

It was ridiculous to think she had ever been afraid when she learned she was pregnant with such a beautiful and small baby girl. Now, she was overwhelmed with an immense love for the baby. She was absolutely enchanting, Embry could hardly take her eyes off of her daughter who still had yet to open her eyes.

"Thank you." Embry smiled softly at her fiance, the father to their child, and kissed him on the cheek. "I honestly don't think I could have done it without you."

She wiped away the tears from her eyes and cheeks. Naturally, she looked back to Luna, fixing her pink and white striped hat on her head and kissed her. And just as Embry pulled back the baby girl opened her small blue eyes.