Battle of the Bands (MaryGold x lxngdon)

j a c e
Jace could barely look away from Luna, either, and when she opened her little eyes, he gasped. She had Jace's eyes exactly, and they were so beautiful on her that he nearly burst into tears. Jace's eyes, Embry's hair, and a perfect face.

"She's so beautiful," he whispered, reaching out to brush the tip of his finger against her soft cheek. Her skin was so smooth. Jace didn't have much experience with newborn babies but he knew that Luna was the most beautiful child on the planet.

Jace was handed a clipboard -- the birth certificate. He filled it out, signed the 'Father' line and handed it to Embry so she could fill out her part. The midwives insisted on helping Embry out of her gown and into a fresh one so Jace carefully took Luna and cradled her to his chest.

So beautiful. So, so beautiful.

E M B R Y
After signing the paper and changing into a new gown, Embry laid down on her bed and pulled the blankets over herself. She was exhausted, but happy. Very happy. And regardless of being tired, she wasn't quite ready to nod off yet.

She shifted to lay on her side and faced Jace and Luna. A smile of affection and endearment made it's way onto her face as she watched them. He was entirely mesmerized by their daughter. And she didn't blame him, she was too.

"She is beautiful. I'm happy she has your eyes."

Embry loved and adored his eyes. And she loved and adored Luna's too. To be clear, she loved every inch of them both.

j a c e
"She looks so much like you," Jace whispered. As much as Luna had his eyes, he could see just as much of Embry in her beautiful little face as he could see himself, and his parents, and hers. She was a perfect blend of the best of both of them and Jace couldn't have been happier in that moment.

Luna blinked a couple of times and looked up at Jace. "Hello, cutie," he crooned, leaning in and giving her a kiss on the forehead.

Luna started to cry. Jace immediately blinked about fifty times in five seconds, and looked up at the midwives. "I - I - Is she hurt?"

One giggled. "No, no, she's just hungry," said the lady. She carefully took Luna, showed Embry the correct way to breastfeed and handed the baby over to her mother.

E M B R Y
"Oh, well, of course."Embry mumbled, before she took in the midwife's instructions. She would be lying if she said she hadn't been as alarmed as Jace. He only got to express his worry before her.

She held Luna close and followed through with the instructions the midwife had given her after unbuttoning the flap atbthe shoulder of her gown. And once the little one was latched on correctly, because it took a few tries to get it right, and feeding, Embry relaxed. Happy to hear her daughter cease her crying and feed with content.

Obviously, this parenthood journey was going to be a long one. But they would enjoy every second if it. She was certain.

"So, we should invite the others in to see her tomorrow."
She was too tired for their visit nie. And, well, why not admit? She wanted to keep Luna to herself and Jace for as long as she could. At least for the rest of the day and night.

"We should probably text or call or parents today though"
She smiled down at Luna affectionately.

j a c e

"Whatever you like."
Jace wouldn't ever push Embry into anything she didn't want to do and especially not now, when she was weakened and tired and they had their Luna to worry about. He tore his eyes away from their enchanting daughter to ask the midwife to send Jasper home.

"When can I take them home?" he added. He just wanted to go home with his girls.

"Tomorrow evening," said a midwife. "She's quite a small baby so we need to make sure everything is perfect -- which it will be, don't worry. We also have to run a couple of tests and do checkups on the mother."

"I'll stay here with you," Jace promised Embry at once, knowing she didn't like needles. "You ... I, um, kind of told your parents you were in labour. You should probably call them."

E M B R Y
"Oh," Embry uttered only slightly surprised. But in no way was it an unpleasant one. She was only taken aback that he had even thought of it at the time. "I really should then. I don't want them to worry."

"When did you have time to do that through your panic attack?"
She asked somewhat teasingly, but she was genuinely curious. She had been in too much pain at the time to notice the many things around her. Which reminded her ... "Sorry for punching you by the way."

Embry then thought to reach for her phone with her single free hand, for her other was still holding Luna. It instantly crossed her mind that she had nit brought it with her on the rush. "I'll need to borrow your phone too. I left mine."

j a c e

"I had a small moment of clarity when they were changing you into a gown,"
Jace replied, searching in his pockets for his own phone. He found it and pressed it into her free hand.

"We'll give you some privacy."

In a few moments it was just Jace, Embry and their beautiful little Luna, still suckling away at her mother, now only half an hour old. Even though she had been in the world for such a period of time, Jace didn't think he'd ever seen a more precious creature.

Except for maybe Embry. But he loved Embry in a different way. She was his wife. His life partner. And they had created this beautiful child together.

Luna finished feeding and Jace carefully took her out of Embry's arms, cradling her to his chest and patting her back very softly so she could burp. He'd been reading a lot of baby books recently.

"Don't worry about the punch, it only hurt for about ten seconds," he chuckled before nodding at the phone. "Call them."

E M B R Y
Embry smiled faintly and dialed her parents house number. And she was fairly surprised when it was her mother who answered.

"Embry?"

"Hi, mom." Embry greeted, holding the phone to her ear."Everything went well with the delivery. No real complications. Luna and I are fine. I'm sure you were especially worried if Jace sounded as anxious as I imagined I did."

"Not really. That's how most fathers I know react to their firstborn's arrival." Embry chuckled, softly. "Well, your father and I are both happy to hear that. We're proud of you."

A small smile played on her lips,"Thank you, we get to go home tomorrow."

"Don't think that means running around postpartum. You still have to heal."

"Okay. Sure."

"Uh-huh. Hand the phone to my future son-in-law."

"Ha. Future son-in-law." Embry repeated almost laughingly, but happily, before shaking on her hand slightly at Jace."She wants to speak with you."

j a c e

Jace quirked an eyebrow. Vanessa wanted to speak to him? And she had called him her son-in-law? That must have meant that Embry's parents were coming around to the idea of him marrying their daughter.

Jace transferred Luna into Embry's arms and took the phone. "Hello, future mother-in-law," he said with a small smile in his voice as he stood up and went to the window.

"How can I help you on this fine Tuesday?" he inquired. As much as he wanted to be formal and respectful, he also wanted to be himself.

"I hope I didn't worry you too much when I called you. I was ... freaking out, I guess. But she's fine. They're both fine."

E M B R Y
"Hey, baby,", Embry cooed when taking Luna back on her arms. She rocked their daughter in her arms gently and kissed her tiny nose softly before watching Jace on the phone curiously. Unfortunately, she couldn't hear a word her mother was saying.

"Good. And I trust they'll continue to be fine." Vanessa's tone was softer than the last time they had spoke, but there was still a stiffness. "I simply wanted to make sure you don't let Embry run around when returning home. She's still healing and frankly I don't trust her enough to take care if herself."

"I do trust you, though. You seem very reliable and responsible despite your ..."
She paused and finished with distaste in her voice "Satanic appeal to the public."

"And secondly, congratulations, darling. I know you both must be elated and prideful with becoming parents and having Luna."
There was a smile in her voice. "And we're proud of you both too, Richard especially, regardless of his distaste for you."

j a c e

It really did mean a lot to Jace to be trusted by Embry's parents, or at least her mother. It was a vast improvement and Jace couldn't help but grin out of the window as he listened to Vanessa's words.

"Thanks, Vanessa," he said quietly, smiling as he watched cars trickle down the busy LA roads beneath them. "That really means a lot."

He scratched his nose and smiled at Embry over his shoulder.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure she doesn't even lift a finger for herself for a week. I'll be her personal slave for as long as needed."

He didn't mind running around for his fiancée for a week or so. After all, she had done him the honour of carrying his offspring around for several months and then giving birth to their baby. It was the least he could do for her in return.

"Was there anything else? Did you want to talk to Embry again?"

E M B R Y
"Oh, no. That's quite alright, I'm sure she's tired and you'd both like you spend more alone time with Luna." Vanessa said with a light sigh. "Besides, I have to attend Clarissa's ballet recital."

"Send me a picture or two of my grandchild, seeing how I can't be there now. And give them both my love."
She concluded, said her goodbyes and hung up.

Embry watched him and smiled a tiny bit. He was smiling, so she'd take it as a good sign. "She didn't subtly and sweetly threaten you, did she?" She asked, truly wanting to know. Her mother had been known to do that on more than one occasion.

j a c e

"No, no, nothing like that,"
Jace assured Embry with a small smile as he made his way back over to his fiancée. He kissed her on the top of the head and then did the same to Luna, their precious little baby.

"She just wanted to make me promise to not let you run around when we get home," he said, allowing Luna to grab the end of his finger with her little fist. "So, for the next couple of weeks, just let me carry you around so your parents like me."

He chuckled and kissed her on the lips. Jace was so proud of her, for carrying and delivering their precious child even if Luna had been an unexpected little surprise. She had certainly been a welcomed one.

"Your mom wants pictures of her granddaughter," he added, pulling back to open the camera on his phone. "Come on, you be in it, too. Then we should call my parents."

E M B R Y
"Oh, that's all? Alright, I suppose I can do that." Embry breathed out a sigh of relief. Hearing what her mother had to say set her at ease as much as it made her happy. It seemed she was warming to Jace if even a little and if she did, her father would have to follow eventually. It was enough to bring a bigger smile to her face.

"This isn't my prettiest moment, but I'm sure they'll be looking more at Luna anyway."

She chuckled and repositioned Luna in her arms slightly so he would be able to capture a good picture. She wanted them to see every inch they could of little one in her arms. And she knew they'd have to fall for her instantly. Just as she had.

"You can send a picture to your parents too. I know they'd want to see her as well."

j a c e

"You look beautiful."

Jace snapped a couple of pictures of Embry and Luna and then sent them to Vanessa, before dialling his parents' home phone number and putting it on loudspeaker.

"Jason? What's wrong?"

"Why do you always assume something's wrong, Mom?" Jace rolled his eyes. "You're a grandmother."

Silence. Then --

"What! When! How? Embry, are you there? Are you alright, love? Girl or boy? What's their name? Who do they look like? When can we meet them?"

"Mom, calm down."

"No!"

E M B R Y
Embry laughed sweetly and shook her head though Tanya would be unable to see it. She was happy to hear from his mother again after a while. And it was just as warm an comforting as when she first met her.

"I'm perfectly fine,"
Embry promised her, "And she's a girl. Her name is Luna. Luna Shae Lesecki."

She glanced down at her newborn daughter in her arms. Luna looked back at her with curious bright blue eyes. Embry kissed her forehead unable to resist from doing so.

"She has you and Jace's eyes, my hair, but over all she looks to share an equal amount of features from both sides."
She stroke Luna's soft cheek."She's the most beautiful thing in the world."

Embry grinned joyously. And she truly did believe her Luna to be the most enchanting creature she ever had the great happiness to carry, deliver and meet. The pain had been worth it. She was just as precious to her as her father was. Though, she loved them in different ways.

"You have to come visit and see her."

j a c e
"Luna Shae Lesecki," Tanya sighed, and Jace grinned from ear to ear. So the name sounded musical on everyone's tongues, not just his and Embry's.

"I'm a grandma?"

"You sure are."

"Oh, your father and I will have to come meet her at once!" Jace could hear his mother searching for something among her papers. "Oh, where's that bank balance, I need to see if we have the money."

"Don't be ridiculous, Mom, I'll fly you out," said Jace immediately, rolling his eyes. Two tickets to LA from New York would be nothing to him.

"Oh, really? Wonderful! We'll come next week, give you two some time to settle in."

They discussed the baby some more and Jace hung up. He quickly sent the photo of Luna to his mother before looking up at Embry.

"I'll fly your parents out, too, if you like."

E M B R Y
"Sure, I'm they'd like that a lot," Embry nodded her head yes.

She knew for a fact her parents could afford the trip for themselves plenty. They wouldn't have to bother checking their bank accounts. But she knew they'd be flattered or awed, at least her mother would, if he flew them out. And to be honest, as unfair as it was, he could use the extra points.

"Here, will you take her?"
She kissed Luna once more before carefully offering her to her father. "I think I'm going to sleep for a little bit."

She was still tired, but Luna had gave her some energy to stay up and admire her and all of her beauty.

j a c e
After a day full of Jace nervously hovering around the nurses while they performed check-ups and tests on his girls, he was allowed to take his fiancee and daughter home. After securely fastening Luna into her car seat, Jace drove them back to their house where Jasper was waiting on the front porch for them.

"Thanks for coming, Jazz," said Jace with relief in his tone as Jasper nodded and carefully took Luna out of his arms. "I tried to get Ash over to help, but she was busy," Jace added to Embry.

"Glad to know I'm your second choice," Jasper joked as he very carefully carried Luna inside. Jace scooped Embry up, bridal-style, and carried her into the living room since the midwives had warned she wouldn't be able to walk on her own for a couple of days. Jace was more than happy to cart her around everywhere.

He sat her down on the couch and Jasper swiftly placed the small baby into her mother's arms. "Right, I have to bounce, it's getting late," said the guitarist. It was indeed nine in the evening. "Call me if you need me."

"Thanks again." Jasper left and Jace went into the kitchen to get some chocolate ice cream for his fiancee. "I've emailed the tickets to our parents," he told her as he set her bowl down on the table. "This is the first time the in-laws are meeting."

E M B R Y
"Now that you mention it, you're right," Embry bit the corner of her bottom lip, pondering over the matter lightly. Surprisingly, she really wasn't too worried about it.

"Even if my parents don't like you, I think they'll be cool with yours,"
She set Luna down in the rocker, a gift left out from the party, and moved in front of her so she could return Luna's curious gaze.

And then she picked up her bowl of chocolate ice cream to eat. It was satisfying to say the least after all the bland hospital food she had. She was happy to be home with her fiance and daughter.

"Your parents are really nice,"
She added, placing a pacifier in Luna's mouth.

Last edited: