3. Douche
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Transgender
  4. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, romance, slice of life, anti-hero stories, "you're our only hope", fandom non-canons, soft scifi, transhumanism, magical girls, horror, suspense / mystery, detective noir, fractured fairytales
ASfS-banner-v2.png

Discord | | OOC

Table of Contents:

The Queen's Invitation

History & Lore

Houses & Regions

Laws of the Realm & Characters

The White Book & Current Events

A Song of Ice and Fire divergence roleplay, GMed by @Jorick and @Pahn

aHA6opb.jpg

It was a rather tired but proud looking Haylana that bumped into Hastley once the tournament was finally over. She had a few scrapes and bruises, but nothing a little self care wouldn't take care of, certainly nothing a maester would need looking at. "Well big brother?" She raised an eyebrow at him, looking nonchalant as she put a hand to her hip, the other one still holding on to the blunt blade she had been using. "Looks like I sent many a lords to the dust today."

For a moment Hastley was still, and then without further ado he wrapped his arms around Haylana, giving her a tight hug unlike any she had received from him in years. She was a little shocked at the sudden show of affection, stiff armed for the most part so as not to poke him with the sword.

"You're such a fool sometimes." She felt her brother let out a breath before moving back, placing his hands on her shoulder. "Don't think I doubt you're a good fighter. I know it, Father knows it as well, and know it seems the whole of Westeros does. That still will not change the fact that I will worry about you. You're not just my sister, you're my twin. If something were to happen to you..."

Haylana let herself relax, shaking her head. "Nothing will, Hastley, I promise." He was always the sentimental of the two, but she didn't think now was the time for such emotions to show. Still, she appreciated the sentiment. "You know, you will have to stop worrying too much about me sooner rather than later." She shoved her sword under her belt before grabbing his hand and turning him so that he was now facing the right direction to spot a trio of beautiful ladies. "One of them is your future wife and she deserved your love and worry. Go now."

She started backing away, thought paused a little grin playing on her lips. "I'll be going into the city, big brother... searching for the right blacksmith to make the blade you will be gifting me for my victories today." She laughed as Hastley shook his head. For a moment she watched him walk over to Theresa and her sisters; the sudden realization that staying put would force her to observe pleasantries quickly had her turning around and heading in a separate direction.

It wasn't long before she paused, noticing someone coming her way. Her clothes were rather plain, but the sigil sewn on it was one that was very well known- a rearing stag.

"My lady," she greeting, giving a short bow, which was returned in kind.

hFfBIP3.jpg

"Taria Baratheon," was the reply, prompt and with no embellishment of any kind, though the plain words were followed by a polite smile. "I wanted to congratulate you from my own self as well as for House Baratheon. As someone who has studied swordsmanship since childhood, I have to commend you. Your family must be proud."

The heir of Storm's End had not expected herself to be so involved in watching the tournament, and the few deaths that had occurred made her further disdainful of the whole affair. That being said, she had to give credit where it was due, and not noting someone's skill was wrong.

"Oh, they are," the smaller girl replied with a small nod. Taria could not tell if she was telling the truth or not, but in her opinion it would be foolish if the Forresters didn't. Then again, that Northern family was known most of all for their forests.

"I have heard that your brother Lord Hastley is in charge of the Ironwood business." She decided that she might as well bring up the subject. Now that Queen Roslyn had ordered House Baratheon to take care of affairs in Dorne, it would be all the wiser to have Forresters in their good books and Ironwood shields and ships in their possession. Even if she was here for the Queen's birthday, there were other affairs she could make herself useful with. "I hope to meet him in the near future."

The placid expression she received from Haylana was much expected. "Of course, Lady Taria. I'm sure my brother will be pleased to hear from you too."

"Very well then." Taria felt somewhat accomplished; it seemed the day hadn't gone to a complete waste. "I've taken enough of your time. Farewell." She gave the Forrester a polite bow before taking her leave.​

Last edited:
The Dragon and The Lady Fair
@Shizuochan and @La Reina

The gardens were a pleasant surprise to Lady Jeyne Lannister, flowers blue unravelling into purple, and into gold, before the lightest and rarest of breezes subsided, and the blue once again came to the fore. Casterly Rock was a rich seat, and it had a myriad of beauties - both natural and bought - but its Stone Garden had been a horrific disappointment with its ugly, twisted weirwood, tangled together like the ruined fingers of some ancient, gouty wraith. Impressive, if size was the measure - though it was said that the Starks in the North had weirwoods far larger. Still, this is much better, Jeyne decided as she ripped a handful of violet petals from the ground.

One hand scattered the ruined petals - leaving them to descend aimlessly unto the cobbled grounds - while the other lifted the golden edges of a wine-cup to her lips. A golden cup, fit for the wife of a Lannister, filled with Arbor gold. There was a novelty to that; drinking Arbor gold from a vessel of gold. She took a sip more before placing the cup in the hands of her lone companion. A serving girl from the Summer Isles, ebony-skinned and beautiful. Alana Koj. She had wanted to hire one of the warrior-women from the Isles, although few had found making a living as a Westerosi prop appealing. And so, she settled on this one, some disfavoured daughter from the Sweet Lotus Vale.

"Why don't you have the rest of this, Alana darling? It doesn't seem to agree with me," Jeyne said, regarding the most renowned white vintage in all of Westeros. "Try and drink it with a little bit of nobility. As practice. You would earn so much more of your pay if you at least pretended to be interesting. Try making up a life story, dear. Princess Koj, rightful ruler of the Summer Isles, who will take back her seat by blood, and fire, and steel, and all that nonsense. Give my friends something to talk about now and then, could you?"

Particularly if my friend happens to be one Lord Xandor Targaryen.

It wasn't long before Lady Jeyne's wish became a reality. The lord of the Crownlands himself made his appearance in the gardens along with his wife a short time later after having decided to change the pace to something a little more lighthearted once the queen's melee was complete. The two seemed to be deep in discussion as they walked beside each other along the cobble stones passing the perfectly trimmed hedges and beautiful flowers. Their beauty caused Xandor's wife to pause and admire; flowers were in short supply on a volcanic isle. As she lingered among the roses, Xandor looked around the garden, his eyes catching sight of the two women.

Jeyne could feel the nervous flutter of her heart, her hand instinctively snatching the wine-cup back from the Summer Islander.

There had been a time when gems and precious stones piqued her interest - the Sapphires of Tarth, for instance, or rubies from Essos. When she finally laid her hands on them, immense disappointment had washed over her; a stone was only a stone. But the eyes of Xandor Targaryen, emerald-green, were something else entirely. Sharp, piercing. Alive. They made her forget herself, and all the subtle nuances of gentility and grace. Her arms waved at the Lord of the Crownlands, frantic and desperate, like the fluttering wings of a pigeon escaping from the maw of a leaping wolf.

"My Lord! Lord Targaryen!" She cried, before turning to the Maid from the Sweet Lotus Vale, "Do something, silly. A curtsy, or spin and swirl! Yes, spin and swirl."

Xandor cocked a brow as he noticed the woman pining for his attention. It was odd to the lord paramount, to see a woman draw such attention to herself, but proper etiquette told him never to keep a woman waiting and he found himself taking steps towards the two. He bowed before them and introduced himself, "My ladies. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Xandor." He gestured towards his wife who finally pulled away from the flowers to join her husband, "And this is my sister, Helenah." Helenah curtsied, smiling at the two ladies and finding the ebony beauty amusing as she spun before them. "Whom do I have the pleasure of standing before today?"

The time Jeyne had spent in her various homes had left her unprepared for such an inquiry. Lannister vassals, from the lowest to the highest, had kissed her hand and spoke her name in rehearsed courtesy the very moment she stepped within Casterly Rock. Lord Xandor's question furrowed her brow.

"Lord Xandor, I am Jeyne Lannister, eldest daughter of Yann Arryn, Lord Paramount of the Vale." She slowed the frantic tempo of her speech, speaking in words of trickling sugar water, dulcet and sultry, enunciating and holding unto every syllable; she wanted him to remember her. "Wife to the Heir of Casterly Rock, Lorien Lannister."

And I remembered you.

Or the stories, at least, of a man fair-skinned and platinum-haired, that seemed to persist throughout each generation. Targaryen. She had begged once, foolishly, for a husband of that fabled ilk, of that particular line. One of the few gifts her Lord Father had failed to present to her.

"It is such an honor, and - if I may - the two of you look astoundingly ravishing." She offered Helenah a small smile, but for only a moment, abruptly tearing her gaze from her. "My Father tells me often of the great love he holds for your Noble House, Lord Targaryen. I, myself, know intimately only their great stories, which I love just as well."

Xandor's emerald eyes opened slightly wider as he learned the name of the woman before him. Jeyne was connected to two powerful houses in Westeros. Not only was Jeyne an Arryn, she was also a Lannister, two houses that had once joined forces in the Targaryen rebellions. If he believed in the gods of old Valyria they would surely be shining down upon him now. "My Lady Lannister, please forgive my ignorance. The honor is all mine."

Her interest in him seemed to go beyond loyalty of house but Xandor pretended not to notice."The Arryns and the Targaryens have a long history, Lady Jeyne. A very amicable and loyal one, if my memory serves me correct. I should hope we can continue our relationship for many more years to come." And perhaps join forces in a very near future. "If you aren't otherwise preoccupied, my lady, I'd be more than happy to sit with you and discuss the stories you love."

Jeyne beamed, "It would be my pleasure, Lord Xandor. Please, join me."

To think, her Lord Father had almost convinced her to watch the melee! Such a droll, crass affair would have bored her straight to her bedchambers, and the Seven would have deprived her of this fateful meeting. She shooed foolish Alana - still dancing feebly - away with a meaningful glare, her free hand beckoning, begging for Lord Xandor to sit.

"I'm deeply sorry; I should have brought more wine. On another occasion, perhaps, we'll drink together." She set aside the wine-cup, "I was young when my father told me the stories, but I can never forget the tales of the dragon riders, of Aegon's Conquest, of Vhagar, Maraxes and Balerion taking to the skies as one above the Field of Fire."

Xandor took a seat beside Jeyne and instructed his sister to sit beside him. He smiled at Jeyne's dragon stories. It was one of his favorites growing up on Dragonstone and sitting at the table with the maester. "Did you know that Aegon's dragons were named after the gods of old Valyria? They were quite powerful. Shame that Aegon converted to the Faith of the Seven." Helenah made a motion to speak but Xandor placed a hand upon her knee to silence her. Now was not the time.

Jeyne inched closer, as far as she dared with Xandor's dear sister-wife overlooking, emboldened by those familiar emerald-greens, "What was your favorite story, Lord Xandor?"

Xandor leaned forward as well, inching closer to Lady Jeyne and speaking lowly. "My favorites are about the Targaryen rule and conquests. Even the rebellions." The emeralds Lady Jeyne seemed to be so enamored with bore into her, almost begging her to pick up on the subtlety. "Perhaps my lady would like to visit Dragonstone one day. It would be a pleasure for my house to entertain your father and your husband."

Lady Jeyne was enamored, not foolish, and certainly not blind; it seemed ambition came naturally to the Targaryens. And how forward he was - a warrior with words like daggers, lunging at the first opening. Her father would say that dealing with such men was not her place.

Yet it was she whose first marriage had pacified House Royce, she who had relinquished herself to a loveless bond for her father's peace of mind. It was she who had bound the Arryns and the Lannisters. Lyn was a brave fool, and Elys insecure, envious. Sade, Hellena, Terrance and Rowan - dull, spineless, naive, too young.

She was the best of Yann Arryn's children, and this was her place.

"Surely it would be a pleasure for you to entertain me as well, Lord Xandor?"

She tasted the moment, savoring Lord Xandor's presence. His eyes bored into hers, and her eyes stared in reply. Any closer, and platinum hair would intertwine with blonde - then she could lean forward ever slightly more and.

She pulled away, like a bashful, blushing maid. "Yes, you're right - and perhaps Dragonstone would be a better place for the telling of certain stories."

Xandor chuckled, nodded his head and sat back, thankful that Jeyne had relieved the bit of the tension that had formed between the two of them. It wasn't something he was accustomed to. He normally dealt with men when concerning his 'affairs' and wasn't entirely sure how to handle himself in a similar situation with a woman. "Of course, my lady, I would be most pleased to entertain you as well." Xandor eyed Jeyne for a moment before rising from his seat and instructing Helenah to do the same. "I do look forward to seeing you again, my lady, in Dragonstone. I have many stories to share." He placed his hand on the small of his sister's back and urged her gently to move forward. As she took a few steps away, Xandor turned back towards Jeyne. "I will send a raven to Casterly Rock with an invitation for your father and husband to come to Dragonstone. I'm sure they would enjoy my stories as well. See you on the isle, Lady Jeyne."

"I could hardly await the day, Lord Xandor."

Jeyne retrieved her wine-cup once more and downed the contents, at last finding that it agreed with her. The sight of Lord Xandor in the distance was as if the promise of a great horizon - and great things made good things taste all the better.

[bg=#121212]
VALRAVN GREYJOY & GRAND MAESTER HARWYN
@Grumpy & @Jorick

The rows of tents sound enough like the aftermath of a battle for Valravn to recognise, yet there is something missing that makes him frown.

It's the smell, perhaps. Dying men lack the inhibitions their surviving fellows hold to, after all, and enough blood spilled will leave a cloying smell in the air for days after. The cries and moans have a different quality, too. Pain, certainly, likely quite tremendous in a few cases. But they lack the agonising desperation of those on the brink between life and whatever comes after. Valravn has stalked the remains of enough battlefields to know the difference. Something about this place rings hollow, and the frown remains on his face until he finally spies the man he has come in search of.

The chain is what gives the Grand Maester away. There are others of his ilk present, certainly, but none with the number of links dangling from his neck. One for each base of knowledge or art mastered, so the Maester who taught him when he was young said. If the man wasn't lying, then this Grand Maester is certainly a learned figure. But that's not what interests Valravn. It's where he comes from that has brought him all the way out here.

When he gets a good look at the older man's face, there can be no doubt that he's from the Iron Islands. The frown gives way to a smirking half-smile, and Valravn stalks forwards towards the tent the Grand Maester is working in.
"Well now, when they said that an Ironborn was serving as the Grand Maester I was ready to throttle them for lying," he says as he comes to a stop before the table, "but it seems for once they weren't bullshitting. How extremely fucking interesting." Valraven tilts his head to regard the man, paying no attention the injured figure being operated on, as he sets his right leg up on one of the stools next to the table. His axe is now inches from his hand, pointed directly at the Grand Maester.

"You're going to have to tell me how this came about, kinsman. I was rather under the impression that we weren't too popular with Queen Martell."

Grand Maester Harwyn barely spares the Ironborn man a glance before resuming his work of winding a bandage around a splint on an unconscious fellow's left shin.
"It is true that Queen Roslyn is none too fond of the people of the Iron Islands. Were it in her power to select the Grand Maester, rather than being a function of the Archmaesters of the Citadel, I suspect I would not be in this position." He ties off the bandage and cuts away a few inches of extra cloth with a small knife, then finally looks up to give the other man his full attention.

"If you were instead inquiring about how I came to be a maester in the first place, I'm afraid it is not an interesting tale. I grew tired of fighting, a maester showed me a better way, and I pursued that path.You have the look of a man who is quite fond of the fight, so I don't expect you to understand." Harwyn gestures to a couple men in plain robes standing outside the tent, each with only a small handful of links of a maester's chain hanging about their neck from a length of string, and they hurry in to remove the treated man from the table. As they go about their work, he fixes Valravn with an expectant look, one eyebrow raised and a faint smile lifting the corners of his mouth. "I presume you came to me to speak of matters other than my own history, Lord Greyjoy. Get on with it, or get out and leave me to my work."

Valravn raises an eyebrow at the Grand Maester's words of choice.
"Tired of fighting, is it? Guess things truly have changed back home since I left." He grins then. "Glad to know that I am still remembered, regardless. Fourteen years is a long time to be stuck on your knees in front of the Lannisters, after all. Must make a man forgetful." Turning briefly to watch the junior maesters carry off the injured man, he returns his attention to Harwyn. "Truthfully I am here in part for you, Grand Maester Harwyn. When they told me of an Ironborn standing at the head of your order I simply had to come and see such a rare and elusive beast for myself. I've seen plenty strange things on my travels, but it seems Westeros is still full of plenty surprises."

His foot comes down from from the stool so he can lean both hands on the table Harwyn has been working from, head stretching out across towards the Maester. "Perhaps you'd be willing to give me an honest telling of the situation back home, Grand Maester. All I have are rumours, and the half-baked squealing of family members. You don't seem like a man to mince your words, though. Hence why I'm here."

"Things have changed since you left?" Harwyn chuckles and shakes his head. "Don't flatter yourself. I was forging my maester's chain before you were a babe suckling your mother's teat. I left the fighting behind in the midst of the Third Targaryen Rebellion. I knew your identity because I was present when the Queen received your message, and given that it has been years since I've seen an Ironborn warrior trotting about as if they own the world it was quite easy to put two and two together."

The Grand Maester turned away from the table to rummage in his bag of supplies, speaking to Valravn without looking at him. "I can tell you what anyone knows of the Iron Islands. They've been subjugated by the Lannister forces and kept as such for years. Their warships were mostly taken away or destroyed, their weapons and armor have been largely confiscated, and there are no obvious indications that this will change any time soon." Harwyn fell silent for a long moment, then muttered something under his breath before continuing on. "But the things that everyone knows are often false. I have heard that for every man who freely swore their loyalty to Lannister there were three who were forced to say the oath through clenched teeth, and only a fool would expect such an oath to be honored. The outlook is grim for those Ironborn who wish to be free of their new overlords, but they have never been a people to willingly submit to anyone. I cannot say any more than that, but it would not surprise me in the slightest to hear news of revolt in the Iron Islands in the coming months. How curious indeed that you have returned at such an auspicious time, Lord Greyjoy." There is an obvious note of amusement in Harwyn's voice, but he remains turned away from Valravn as he pulls a variety of tools and pouches of herbs from his bag.

Lord Greyjoy laughs darkly.
"But aren't you the slippery one, Grand Maester? As though you've just emerged from the sea, instead of shrivelling away here on the mainland. There's nothing auspicious about my appearance, it's just the nature of things." Pushing himself off the table, he settles himself back on the chair and keeps his gaze locked on Harwyn.

"It would have been all too easy to stay away. The things I've seen in the last fourteen years, kinsman, you'd scarcely believed. I've warred with mercenary armies across the Free Cities, walked the beaches of the Summer Isles and witnessed their rituals of warfare. We call them savages over here, but their wars? The most lean and efficient I have ever seen. No burning cities, no raping and thieving, just two sides, a dispute, and an agreement that the winner takes all. Makes a man question who the real savages are.

"I've burned corsair ships off the coast of the Basilisk Isles. I've sailed the edges of the Smoking Sea and seen the remains of Old Valyria. All this, and I've barely scratched the surface of what this world has to offer. A man could spent his life on the move, and still never see everything there is to see."
He pauses, nodding slowly. "And yet. And yet you cannot escape where you came from. Not even you, Harwyn, even if you've swapped your chainmail for a Maester's chain. You're still Ironborn, just as I am. Neither of us can hide when the Drowned God calls." Greyjoy is leaning back in his chair now, his pose seemingly relaxed, but the smile is gone and his eyes bore into Harwyn's back. "I refuse to believe that you aren't troubled by what is happening to our home. You are the Grand Maester, possibly one of the few Ironborn left in this country with a position of power. Surely you know something that isn't the same shit my pissant cousin is able to spout at me."

Harwyn keeps at his work of sorting through supplies all through Valravn's speech. He finally turns around after a few seconds of silence, hands clasped together loosely in front of him. When he speaks his voice is flat and emotionless.
"Normally when a man comes to waggle his cock at me it is because he has caught a pox from some whore. Your cock waggling is somewhat novel, at least, but far from the grandest bragging I've heard. You do not impress me, Lord Greyjoy." He walks over to the table and plants his hands on it, leaning forward just a bit. His face is all steel and stone, as unyielding as the rocky cliffs of Pyke that Valravn once called home.

"You do, however, intrigue me despite your foolish assumptions. Your talk of kinship and the Drowned God means nothing to me. I am a maester and my oaths are to Westeros, not to any one group of people. My concern is for the realm as a whole." Harwyn stares at Valravn in silence for a couple seconds, then slowly nods. "But perhaps the realm would benefit from an end to the strife in the Iron Islands. You'll find many of your people ready to rise to the fight. More than your sniveling rat of a cousin would guess, I wager, but the Iron Islands cannot hope to win this war alone. They realized this as well. An old friend sent me secret word of their intent months ago, a man who knows the ins and outs of Ten Towers, but I've heard not a whisper of the results. Perhaps the kraken can make friends with the trout where others have presumably failed. And if not…"

Harwyn finally cracks his stony expression for a smile, a thin and humorless thing, "…I hope your grand adventures of the past fourteen years have amassed you quite a fortune, because the only other way you'll likely see the Iron Islands free of the Lannisters is by hiring a mercenary army the likes of which Westeros has never seen." With a bark of laughter, Valravn pulls himself out of his seat.
"Oh come on, Grand Maester. I'd have thought a man with the airs you're putting on would be above cock jokes." He grins at Harwyn across the table. "Or perhaps you've not entirely dried out, and there's still a bit of salt and seawater left in you yet. I'd rather like to meet with this old friend of yours. Sounds like he might be one of the few souls left in the Iron Islands who still possesses a set of balls." The snarky comment about the joke draws only a brief grunt of a laugh from Harwyn. The rest of it, however, makes his smile take on a truly amused cast.
"I wouldn't ascribe it to salt and seawater. When I was a reaver I was a mewling little shit, trying to act big while trying not to piss myself with every fight. I forged my mettle along with the metal around my neck." His smile widens enough to show a hint of teeth. "Much the same for my friend, in fact. Maester Josmyn was born a bastard in a small village of the Westerlands. There's far more to a man than the blood in his veins and the land in which he was born, you see."
"Why I think we've finally found something we both agree on, Maester! It's a little tricky to spend so many years amongst strange cultures and think your own is the only one with merit, after all. I'd trust the crew I sail with far more than most of the supplicant bastards back home."

The silence hangs between the two men for several moments, though the din of the medical tents around them makes it anything but quiet. Finally, Valravn inhales a breath and nods. "Though from what you've told me, there's still some on the islands who resent the rope that's been tied around their collective necks. Thank you for your counsel, Grand Maester." He's grinning still, but it lacks the mocking quality that was present upon his arrival. With a nod Lord Greyjoy turns towards the tent's exit, pausing right before he steps back out to turn and look at Harwyn. "And if you ever get fed up with that chain around your neck and fancy wearing some proper chainmail again, there'll always be a seat for you on one of my ships. Assuming you haven't forgotten how to row."

There's a low chuckle as Valravn pushes his way through the tent flap and disappears out into the noise and bustle of the melee field.
[/bg]

For those who were used to living free in rugged wilds and whose honor was built on holding the fort and defending what rightfully was theirs by legacy, taking leave of domain and duty was understandably not an experience to be relished. The morning chill had not yet abated when the crow arrived in Nightsong with its invitation - if you could call it that.

Grayven had turned the letter over in his hands, knowing it for what it truly was: a summons. To decline to attend after having received a letter such as this, supposedly from the queen, (though he felt safe assuming that she had not written all of them and if she had written even one, it would not have been for a reclusive lord in the Stormlands) would have been an insult only borne with great excuse. Such an excuse he did not have, though he toyed with the idea of reminding the queen that it was foolish to take a Lord so close to Dorne away from his castle at such a time. Alas, another insult that would likely win him disfavor at best and a family reunion at worst. He had no desire to explain to Laena that their son was an orphan because his father couldn't be bothered to attend a party, foolish though the notion may be.

If Edan were still the heir of Nightsong, Grayven might have felt justified in sending him - an important bastard as he would be, but sending the uncle of the heir in place of a lord didn't quite have the same weight to it. No, it would have to be Grayven who made the journey. Edan could stay here, though, at least, to keep watch over the castle. If something were to happen, he was more than capable of handling it... the thought brought a lump of annoyance to Grayven's throat. If something were to go wrong, it should be Grayven here to shoulder the burden rather than off playing nice with scheming ladies and poncy lords.

Unwilling to leave Stephas behind, arrangements were made by Grayven at once for wet nurse and nanny to accompany him on his trip. A few words from Tarla about how much she'd love to see the city and a reminder that a young lord traveling closely with two lady servants might cause a few whispers earned Tarla Storm a place in the traveling party as well. The most difficult part of the journey was the trek from Nightsong to the Roseroad but after, the going was relatively smooth and the guards who road alongside the carriage were visibly bored.

With so little enthusiasm for attendance and the difficulties of going so great a distance with a young lord who had not yet learned the fine art of tightning his sphincter, the trip dragged on longer than intended and it was due to this that the entourage from House Caron found itself arriving at King's Landing barely in time to hear the beginnings of the tourney. At least that meant that everything was mercifully quiet.

When informed that lodgings in the city were more than fully booked and that they would need to spend their time at King's Landing lodged in tents, Grayven had a difficult time masking his displeasure but Tarla stepped in quickly to handle the affair while Grayven gathered Stephas and the assortment of things brought with them to tend to the child.

It didn't take long after to more or less dump their belongings in the tent, a wicker basket's contents the child who hadn't been this quiet since they had departed the castle. Grayven stood over it, fussing with blankets and toys surrounding the child.

"Grayven, you should take this opportunity to go to make an appearance. The tourney is not yet over, Stephas is asleep, and Jassa and Alyss are here to keep watch over him," Tarla wheeled sweetly, entreating him with her best puppy eyes beneath dirty blond wisps of hair that had escaped her braid. She was transparent, hopeful of seeing the testosterone-fueled spectacle of men swinging swords at each other.

[color=#aa9154 ]"Ah... you're right, of course. We can make a brief appearance."[/color]

The way her face glowed at his reply was thanks enough for him, even if neither addressed the fact that Tarla was implicitly included for no reason other than her happiness. They were hastily changed from traveling clothes to finer ones. For this outing, Grayven chose a dove grey tunic in cotton under a vest of burnished bronze that concealed the thin mental boning that kept it close, stiff, and protective and knew he looked as dour as his reputation promised.

"Don't forget to check on him at least once every few minutes, in case the blanket falls over his face. Don't let anyone else come in and if someone tries, you must call for the guards at once. If anything ha-"

A hand on Grayven's shoulder shifted his focus from lecturing Jassa, who was hardly paying attention to Grayven's fussing and was instead searching for her embroidery needles. She glanced up at the sudden silence and smiled at Tarla, who was proudly showing off one of her two new dresses. This one was saffron yellow and sleeveless with a plunging neckline that showcased that it had been purchased from a Dornish merchant but pinned just above her cleavage with a black nightingale brooch.

"At least I know that I will not be who everyone is looking at," he said, his dry tone undercut with a small smile. He let her drag him away and off toward the tournament grounds without much complaint, though he reminded Alyss again where the the nearest guards were in case of trouble. Threatening to wake up Stephas if Grayven's continued speech roused Keat, she shooed him away with Tarla.

As the pair approached their destination, the dull hum of noise grew increasingly louder and then a temporary silence stole over the the scene.

"Oh no," Tarla lamented as the pair approached the tournament grounds and saw maesters at work on wounded men, "I think it's already over."

tully and frey

Dawn approached quickly, as did the realization that King's Landing would be blossoming into view. Unravelling herself from Meera's sleeping form, Meredyth wiped the sleep from her eyes and made her way through the carriage, careful not to wake anyone. It was the last day of their journey and she itched to be rid of the confining, if comfortable, carriage. She craved the crisp air and the sound of water falling upon rock. The capital wouldn't be able to provide the comforts of home, but the chatter of thousands could resemble the sound of a waterfall and if she breathed through her mouth, at least the air wouldn't smell of shit and sweat and sycophancy.

By the time she'd changed into a riding gown, braided her own hair up and out of her eyes, and laced boots that settled mid-calf, the carriage had stopped for it's morning routine. Bending the ornate handle, Meredyth stepped outside and closed the door behind her softly. She told a passing guard that she required her mare fit for riding and sought after Simon, wondering if he was awake at this early hour. They had left perhaps a little too late, but made significant progress once upon the King's Road. Today marked the beginning of the festivities and they would arrive just in time for the melee.

"Seven hells," Meredyth mumbled under her breath, "Where is he?" They wouldn't have the time or privacy to speak once within the capital's grounds.

"Mrehh..." Simon Frey stretched on the bench of the moving carriage, his eyes sticking closed. Delicate fingers rubbed at them while his free hand blindly searched for a shirt. The caravan smelled of musk and wine, which the Frey man had consumed generously to help him sleep off the weariness caused by the travelling. Just as he pulled on a light doublet, and laced it lazily, the carriage came to a halt. They were stopping for a few hours, it seemed.

His linen trousers were matted with days' worth of dirt, but it would be useless to try and look fancy while on the road. His boots weren't much cleaner, but his overall look was rather satisfactory. Simon mindlessly twisted the ends of his moustache before running his hands through his hair. It was too late when he realized his breath had a nasty after-taste of warm wine, so when he stepped out into the sunlight he went straight to a carriage with water and food.

As though he felt her presence nearby, Simon quickly bit down a couple mouthfuls of dry bread and swallowed it with difficulty before chugging down half a waterskin. Coughing and swearing under his rasping breath, the lord turned around and spotted Meredyth Tully's fiery red hair. He immediately started towards her, a warm smile spreading across his face.

"Beautiful as ever, my sweet lady. It appears one of us had better sleep than the other." They both looked tired, but Simon had dark circles under his eyes and his appearance was clearly not at its best. Still, he hoped his... dedication to staying with her and Meera would leave a good impression on the to-be Lady of Riverrun.

There was a steadiness in Simon Frey that Meredyth admired. He was there long after he departed, in her psyche, in her decisions on the future of the Riverlands, and as of late, strayed near her heart. There was a risk in coming together to the Queen's nameday feast, but it was well known that Frey was courting Tully, and what better way was there to gauge interest than showing up together?

Smiling softly, Meredyth's sleepy eyes sparkled with a fondness she usually reserved for Meera or Maester Cailin. "Lord Frey," Mere replied with a bow of her head. "How do you fare th-"

But she was interrupted by the soldier she instructed to fetch her horse.

"Milady--milord," He said while inclining his head. "Your mare has been fed and saddled. Ser Bruce has inquired on your wellbeing, Lady Meredyth, and if you desire something to eat now or once we depart again."

"I'll have whatever he's having, tell him not to wake anyone. Not just yet." She turned to Simon and raised a sleepy brow. "Care for a morning ride, my lord?"

Simon bowed politely back at Lady Meredyth, taking another bite of bread as the soldier reported back. Once the man was gone, he offered his left arm to her.

"How terrible a suitor I would be if I did not care for a morning ride with you, my lady." Simon flashed his cocky but playful grin, placing himself to her right. "Let us stretch our legs a bit before the ride, I hear the sight is marvellous along the road."

They both knew the sight didn't change much, but Simon was ready to use any excuse for some quality time with Lady Meredyth.

She took Simon's arm with a satisfied smile and waved off the guard who attempted to follow, requesting that he returned with her food, saddled mare, and Simon's own mount. When she was finished, she initiated their walk, glancing up to search his face. Was he worried? Cautious? Excited for the current festivities in honor of the queen? What did he think, of them travelling together to King's Landing? What did he think of her?

Instead, all that came out was, "How're you feeling? Haha, I think you had a bit more than I did, and Emye and I drank two entire flagons." She sighed softly before continuing, rubbing her eyes gently. "The capital isn't far now, an hour or two more and it should be on the horizon. We should have more than enough time to bathe and ready ourselves before the melee. Will you be entering any of the events my lord?"

Simon caught her looking up at him but he kept his face looking ahead, though his features softened slightly. He had been waiting for moments like this for years... And now that he was finally getting closer to Meredyth, there was a constant warm feeling swirling around his chest.

"Ahh yes, I might have indulged in a little too much wine last night. Sleeping in a moving carriage is not a skill easily acquired it seems!" He finally looked at her and winked. A small breeze carried the scent of her perfume, which sent a pleasant shiver down his spine.

"Hmmm. My pen tends to be much sharper than my sword, my lady. It would do me no good to disgrace myself in front of all the lords and ladies of Westeros. I have not properly trained in years, truth be told." Simon finished the last piece of bread and chewed in silence for a few minutes. "If it is all right with you, my lady, it would be my utmost pleasure to attend the festivities with you, and sweet Meera of course."

"Nothing would please me more, Simon." Mere said softly, a light flush dusting her cheeks with color.

Leaning her head against his shoulder, Mere sighed softly, contentedly, knowing the moment couldn't last forever but enjoying it all the same. For a few minutes more she continued in silence, enjoying the unescorted walk and the liberty to say as she pleased.

"Do you have any desires, Lord Frey?" Immediately, her face flushed and she glanced away with an embarrassed smile. "Of the future, of course." Clearing her throat and glancing up apologetically, Mere continued. "What do you seek in life? If this was your last summer, what would you want to have accomplished?"

Simon thought about his response for a moment, a shaky sigh leaving nose as he pressed his cheek against the top of Lady Meredyth's head. The smell of her hair filled his senses once again, much stronger than when it had merely been carried over by the breeze. He had been with so many women in his life, and yet none of them filled him with excitement and joy the way the Tully lady did.

"I think we both know what it is I desire the most, my fair lady." The young man chuckled and hugged her arm a little harder for an instant. "I have everything a man could wish for. Wealth, a sharp mind, a beautiful lady at my arm. I fear I am not much of an ambitious man. All I would desire now would be a wife and a family. I much prefer stability over constant unrest. If I may be so bold..." Simon stopped walking and stepped in front of Meredyth, still holding her arm and using his free hand to cup her chin, lifting her head a little bit.

With a smile, he brushed her forehead with his lips, lingering for a few extra seconds. "My lady, if this was my last summer, I would be an accomplished man if I were able to call you mine."

"I-uh... That is quite bold of you, my lord." Meredyth replied after a while, tearing her eyes away from Simon's. Her cheeks burned and for once, she hadn't a reply. "Still, I thank you for your frankness." And she meant it. There were many things he'd said that gave her thought, and she smiled at him fondly.

The young man chuckled at Lady Meredyth's stumbling, his hand lifting and a finger brushing ever so slightly against her warm cheek. She was gorgeous and she would be his.

"Well, let us be on our way! We wouldn't want to miss the melee. My sisters are probably already there, frowning at our slowness."

"Yes," Meredyth chuckled, "I suppose they will be."

♦ ♢ ♦​

Not much occurred between her and Simon's departure earlier that morning. Scarcely an hour had passed into their ride before they were interrupted. Meredyth, ever the dutiful, sought after her responsibilities with a fluttering heart, a growling stomach, and nerves sharper than steel. She had sent soldiers to erect their tents, handmaidens to draw them all warm baths and prepare their gowns and tunics, and guards to secure and ready their litters.

Time, which had stretched on and on upon the road suddenly shot forward, and before she could take a deep breath Meredyth's corset was being tightened, Meera tried escaping for the fourth time, she was climbing into a litter beside Simon… and arriving at the tourney grounds.

Glancing over at Simon, Mere gave a small nervous smile, mainly for her own benefit, before stepping out, careful to gather her skirts lest they soil in the muddied ground. The gown was a pricey expenditure, amber in color and sleeker, more form-fitting than the ones usually seen in court, but it was flattering.

Taking hold of Meera's hand, and waiting for Simon's, Meredyth inhaled slowly, all of her training settling into a composed visage. Only briefly, it would seem. Through the throng of commoners and nobles alike, she could see the Queen's litter making its way towards them.

"Quickly! We should have been seated already." Meredyth mused worriedly, stifling the urge to fuss over her skirts.

♦ ♢ ♦​

"Is it over already?"

Meredyth chided her sister playfully, reminding her that everything had to come to an end.

"I wanna be like Lonnet the Red!" Meera said with a laugh, jumping up from her seat to play-act a few of his choicest moves.

"Enough of that nonsense, Meera. Lady Mere, if you've no objections, I'd like to take this young'un back to camp. She refused a washing this mornin' and seven save me if she tries to fight me again!"

"Don't torture her, Helenys." Meredyth laughed softly, nodding her head in consent while motioning for a few of their guards to escort them safely back.

Still giggling, Mere glanced over at Simon, almost shyly, and wondered if she had made her decision.

"So, my lord, did you enjoy the melee?"

Simon couldn't help the playful grin as he watched Meera imitate some of the melee contestants. Lady Meredyth's eyes seemed to shine even brighter when she looked at him, though that might've been his imagination.

"I certainly did! Though seeing those poor fellows die made me feel less guilty for not participating myself. I cannot bear the thought of leaving this world just yet, my Lady." Charming as ever, Simon gently took the lady's hand and brushed his lips on it. Once he had straightened, he noticed the looks of a few lowly lords as they eyed him. He recognized some from the small towns between the Twins and Riverrun, but he didn't acknowledge them.

"I reckon we should leave and see if we can chit chat with other respectable lords and ladies, commoners can become quite affected with such display of violence."

She knew plenty of lords, and ladies to boot, who were affected by violence, and where she would normally strike up a debate on lowborn temperament, Mere opted to hold her tongue. Casting a look around the reserved seating, the young woman recognized more than a few faces, and if not by face then by appearance or sigil.

The deception and schemes behind their bright faces scared her more than bandits and mercenaries ever could. But she had duties to preform and if that meant laying with snakes, then so be it.

"I do believe you're right," Gathering her skirts and rising to her feet, Mere glanced around the emptying tourney grounds and then back to Simon. "After you, my lord."

xxxa @Pahn and @rissa production

[fieldbox="Tamsyn Grimm, #070, solid"]
In the aftermath of the melee, the grounds around the arena were a veritable sea of bodies jostling and pushing past one another. For Tamsyn, locating the Forrester twins had been an ordeal that she could have quite happily passed on; Theresa however had been insistent on seeking Hastley out and by his twin's side was surely where he would be. Having failed to locate her betrothed before the fighting had become she had practically dragged her two sisters from their feet the moment Haylana had fallen in the fighting.

There were several false starts in the hunt for the twins but eventually one of the Maesters that Tamsyn collared was able to point the trio in the Haylana's direction. When the Forresters had come into view Tamsyn quickly put a hand on her sister's shoulder, holding her back until whatever moment the siblings were sharing was over and Hastley had begun to make his way towards them.

At some point during the couple's long overdue reunion Tamsyn noticed that Haylana had vanished into the crowd, which was a shame. She was rather envious of the Lady Forrester. It had been a dream of Tamsyn's younger self to train with the sword and she would have liked to talk with Haylana on her victory, but she understood why the young Forrester had made herself scarce though. Haylana was not one for idle chattering. In all their meetings so far Tamsyn couldn't remember a time where Haylana had been anything other than business like. Seeing her twin wrapped in another woman's arms was probably strange for her too. it was certainly a little strange for Tamsyn. Still it was a good match that both parties seemed genuinely happy about, and it had the added bonus of tieing the Grimms closely to the best suppliers of iron wood in the seven kingdoms.

Tamsyn beamed when Hastley finally managed to untangle himself from Theresa's embrace. "It's good to see you again Lord Forrester." Where with Seban the title of Lord had been used almost mockingly, with Hastley, Tamsyn's words were true and sincere. "I'm sorry that I seem to have missed the chance to congratulate your sister myself. Won't you please give her my congratulations for such a fine demonstration of her skill."

Hastley bowed politely before giving Tamsyn a genuine smile. "My thanks, Lady Tamsyn," he started. "I will most certainly give her your congratulations." His eyes shifted to Theresa, gaze softening. "Perhaps our families can meet before we must go separate ways again."

"Me and my sister would be most honoured. Perhaps we might meet to share a meal somewhere, I'm sure there is much we should discuss."

"Indeed," Hastley replied with a nod. "Perhaps in the next couple of days? I'll be sure to send one of my men with the message." He looked away from Tamsyn and back to Theresa. "May I offer Lady Theresa a walk by the King's Port?" He seemed to realize after he said that that his betrothed was probably tired of being around ships. "Or anywhere else it pleases my lady?"

With that the couple moved off through the crowds, Theresa chattering excitedly into Hastley's ear about all the things they might see in the city, all whilst being followed at a discreet distance by one of the sailors that Tamsyn had tasked to follow her sisters. She wondered what the pair had planned for the rest of the day. Tamsyn had several idea about what she would have gotten up to had it been her but even thinking of such things would have probably turned Hastley bright red. They could spend the afternoon romping like rabbits in some backstreet tavern for all Tamsyn minded as long as Theresa was happy, and based on the fact that her sister had seemed two inches taller once she had hold of Hastley's hand, Tamsyn suspected she was.

Once the crowds swallowed the couple Tamsyn turned to her other sister only to find that Astrid had wandered off to investigate the wares of the many hawkers that were desperately trying to flog food to the passing crowd.

"Do you actually want to eat one of those?" Astrid was eyeing up a tray containing a variety of what were probably sausages stuffed inside a piece of bread when Tamsyn came alongside her. "I'm fairly sure I just saw that one move."

"They can't be worse than the eel pies father use to make us eat."

"Possibly…" Tamsyn wasn't sure if she could agree to that. For one thing she had never minded eel pie and for another the sausages on the tray in front seemed an odd colour and smelt a little strange to her.

"When else would we try something like this." A pleading tone crept into Astrid's voice now. "There's nothing like this back home. What's the point of us coming to the King's Landing if we don't at least try what it has to offer?."

Tamsyn rolled her eyes at Astrid but she had a point. Greyshield lacked many of the distractions of the capital, and while Tamsyn wasn't convinced this was a bad thing, it certainly was interesting to try the novelties of the city.

"Very well" Tamsyn laughed, a smile stretching across her face to match her sister's before turning to the vendor "I will take two"

As she placed a coin in the man's grubby upturned hand she leaned in towards his ear and added in a hushed whisper "If they make us ill you're going to wish you'd cut your own throat rather than sell them to me." It was a mostly empty threat and if the hawker was phased by it he did a good job of hiding it. Still when Tamsyn inspected the sausage she was handed it seemed to conform to her expectations of a sausage far more than the ones on the tray had and she took a tentative mouthful.

"Better than eel pie?" Astrid looked at Tamsyn with a curious grin, her own sausage noticeably untouched yet.

"Just about, now be quick and make a start on yours before it goes cold." Once her sister had taken a bite Tamsyn quickly added. "We should find Cousin Denys somewhere in the stands if we are quick about it and I think it would be best not to be eating these...things when we do." Astrid pulled a face at the proposition but a mouthful of sausage stop her from being able to verbally object as Tamsyn took her hand and started to drag her sister through the crowd.

For a while the sisters walked in silence, eating the sausages and bread though after less than half of hers Tamsyn pushed it into the hands of the first street wretches outstretched hands she saw. By the time they had reached the base of the stands Astrid had either done something similar or actually enjoyed the meal as she too was empty handed and free to speak once more.

"Do you wish father had let you train with a sword like Lady Haylana?"

Tamsyn was silent for a moment as they stood aside to let a family off the stairs that lead to the higher levels of the stands. "I wish he had let me try" she said eventually. "When you were still a baby and I was about Mira's age, me and Liola snuck into the armory and took the practice swords. We tried to copy what we'd seen father do but we could barely lift the swords. It was a lot of fun until Castellan Dores caught us and…"

"Father tanned your hide and locked both of you in your chambers for a week," Astrid cut in rolling her eyes. "You need some new stories sister besides why don't you get the master at arms to teach you. There's no one to stop you now, even if he refused there must be someone who would."

"Between making sure the people of Greyshield don't starve, stopping my darling siblings from murdering each other and fulfilling our duties to the Tyrells when would I find the time? Handling a sword properly is no easy thing."

"And you would know that how?"

"More than a few of the knights I have known tried to impress me by showing me their swords and letting me toy with them; One even gave me a lesson about how to best grip his once."

"How did that go?

"It was surprisingly hard." As the pair emerged from the stairs into the very top row of the stands Tamsyn looked around until she saw the unmistakable shock of auburn hair that matched her own and was the mark of those of Redwyne descent a little way towards where the queen was seated.

"What did your teacher think of your performance with a sword? Did he think you had a talent for it perhaps?"

Tamsyn struggled not to laugh, this was becoming more than a little silly now. "I think he was quite pleased with the progress that we made."

"Maybe this generous knight friend of yours is here in King's Landing and might give you another try with his weapon." Astrid added mischievously "What was his name?"

"Now that, sister, is none of your business." Tamsyn said as they came to a halt just far enough away from her cousin that Denys might finish her current business uninterrupted.

"Was it when you were staying at Goldengrove? I know father was particularly angry when you were sent home that time. I heard a rumour that…"

"Enough now Astrid!" Tamsyn hissed, cutting her sister off mid sentence. Her cousin had just waved the sisters over and after dropping into a curtsy appropriate for meeting their liege lord's wife, the sisters approached Denys Tyrell.

"How are you cousin? It's been too long."

Thanks @Greenie for Hastley[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
gmpostbanner.png

As the furor around the melee field subsided, the excitement of the people of King's Landing did not so much diminish as travel. Some who returned to the city proper got to work for a few hours of the afternoon, and others went home for the day, but many more proceeded directly to taverns, inns, and the wagons and tents painted in stripes of red and gold that were giving out free food and wine to all comers. Queen Roslyn Martell was not generally a well beloved queen, but it was common to hear praise for her around those particular venues.

The celebratory atmosphere remained in full swing as the afternoon faded into the evening, but not all was well in King's Landing.

The Grand Maester's Chambers

Harwyn returned from the melee in the early evening after treating a couple dozen injured combatants and many of the commonfolk who slipped in later seeking assitance from the maesters for various ailments. It was a continuation of a trend that Harwyn had started himself. In the past, maesters attending tourneys would see to the fighters and nobody else, but Harwyn had spread the word before his first such event that he would treat anyone who came to him. There had been a veritable flood of the poor and destitute, and it had not been hard to goad his fellow maesters into helping them as well. Many maesters fell into the unhealthy habit of thinking that they existed only to serve the wealthy and the powerful, and one of Harwyn's goals in life was to eradicate that foolish notion.

The day at the melee field had been a good one, all things considered. The deaths were unfortunate, but they were perhaps balanced out by the numbers of commonfolk whose lives were saved or bettered. Near the end it had become an almost nostalgic affair for Harwyn, harkening back to that first tourney he had attended after being elected Grand Maester. Many of the others who stayed to help today had been present on that first day as well: Maester Cowen who was assigned to Karhold far in the North, Maester Torrhen who had been serving Maidenpool for decades, Maester Samwell from Greenstone, and Maesters Gorell and Preston who had left their studies in the Citadel at his request to aid with the work at the tourney. It was not often that Harwyn got a chance to talk with so many other Maesters and indulge in more scholarly chatter without worrying about needing to speak simply for lords and ladies to understand the topic at hand.

There had been the odd encounter with Lord Greyjoy, but he was not quite ready to chalk that up as a negative. Perhaps naught would come of the tidbit of information given, or perhaps it would change the course of the future for the Iron Islands. It was always hard to judge such things, which was why he generally avoided doing them. The problem with taking chances was, of course, the inability to control the outcome. Harwyn could only hope that the fool didn't start a war that would spill out past the Iron Islands and cause untold havoc.

His thoughts were rudely interrupted by a knock on the door. He took his time making it to the door and opening it, and he was rather annoyed to see that the knocker was a small, dark-haired girl, and a dirty one at that. It was hard to tell the age of malnourished children, but he placed her at somewhere near ten years old. Harwyn spared the child his irritated frown and directed it instead to the man of the City Watch standing down the hall; given that the Martells lacked much in the way of armed men to watch the Red Keep, the Watch had become the de facto guardians of the castle in recent years. "You there, why is a child at my door? Is it not your job to prevent those who should not be in the castle from being there?"

The guard shrugged. "She said it was important, Grand Maester. Has a message for you, she said."

Harywn sighed and turned his attention to the child once more, softening his features so as not to frighten her. "I see. And what important message has brought you all the way from Flea Bottom to the Red Keep, hm?"

The girl seemed to have no fear for the elderly man whatsoever. "I'm not from Flea Bottom, m'lord. I only live there. I'm from Rosby. My mum said we had to go cause she stole something." She held out a grubby hand, with a similarly grubby piece of parchment clutched between two fingers. "I dunno what it is cause I can't read. A man with a beard gave me two whole silver pieces to bring it to you."

"Two whole silver pieces? Impressive." Harwyn plucked the note from her fingers and reached into a pocket to fish out a gold coin. He pressed it into her palm with a smile. "Get yourself and your mum some food, child. And tell her to come see me if she has need of work."

"My name's not child, it's Sylva." She looked at the coin and her face lit up with a grin. "Thanks m'lord!" She hurried away down the hall with haste, perhaps to waste the money on sweets rather than real food.

Harwyn gave the guard another irritated glance before pushing the door closed. The note, though grimy in outward appearance, proved to be written in a clear and flowing script. He frowned at it and gave it a second and third read, and his jaw clenched tight with burgeoning anger as he did so.

My dearest Grand Maester,

I must regretfully inform you that your friend Cowen proved an impediment to my work. He overheard things he should not have and he threatened to spread the word to unfriendly ears. He had an unfortunate fall into the Bloodpit and tragically died on impact. It was a shame to see an already bloody place claim another life, but alas, history has always been written in layers of blood.

My sincerest apologies,
Sam

The door slamming open made the lazy guard stand to startled attention. Harwyn stormed out with the note crumpled in his clenched fist, face set in an angry grimace that made the guard press himself up against the wall to let the Grand Maester pass by, but Harwyn grabbed him by the arm and propelled him forward instead. "Don't cower, you incompetent fool. Gather some men, send word to the Master of Laws, and escort me to the Dragonpit. There's been a murder."

They accumulated men of the City Watch like iron filings following a magnet as Harwyn strode through the Red Keep with anger clear in every line of his face. One might have easily mistaken him as a man setting out to commit a murder rather than look into one. Men were sent to Queen Roslyn and Lord Massey to inform them that a maester had been killed, and to request the immediate presence of the latter at the Dragonpit. The evening was shaping up to be far less pleasant than the day had been.

The Queen's Chambers

Queen Roslyn Martell sat at the large wooden desk in her chambers, a fresh piece of parchment in front of her and the top of her ink bottle resting to the side. She had been feeling increasingly tired in the evening as of late, and she could feel her the aging of her bones when she finally removed the tight clothing. The Bolton handmaiden was the only one left with her in her chambers, to her own capricious request, as she was not sure if she was able to properly write that invitation letter to Lord Manwoody.

"Lady Bolton, Amber, would you prepare me my evening brew? I fear the herbs from the wine earlier are wearing off." Roslyn had been taking so many ointments and herbs to help ease all kinds of pains that she was glad there were other people to remember their contents for her. She watched the girl leave with a bow, and while she waited she attempted for the third time to write the letter.

Her writing had become almost illegible, scrawny but thick with ink in some curves, and it irritated her. It angered her to no ends that her age was finally taking control of her life and making her inconsistent. She couldn't even write a damn informal letter to a bastard lord.

Lord Barlay Manwoody,

You are invited to dine with myself and present members of the Small Council on the eve of my nameday's feast.

Please do not bring along your horde of bastards.

Queen Roslyn Martell

The third attempt proved to be the least awful, and was rather still legible. The Dornishman would probably be drunk anyway, he wouldn't notice the difference, or the lack of proper titles. They were long and never-ending, and while she enjoyed filling half a page with them tonight her hands were not being cooperative enough for it. Roslyn's pride prevented her from seeking out anyone's help; there was also a healthy dose of paranoia that forced her to refuse showing even a shadow of vulnerability in front of those who would rather see her head rolling on the ground.

"Your Grace!" Amber Bolton barged in the room, her hands red from having spilled hot water on them. The front of her skirts were also drenched with water, but there was a wild look on her face. If Roslyn had to guess, it almost looked like excitement. "A message from Grand Maester Harwyn, your Grace. There's been a murder in the bloodpit."

The girl waved off someone on the other side of the door before closing it behind her. Her hair was all over the place and she looked more like a child right this moment than earlier today.

"A murder? Didn't the fools have enough blood for one day? Very well. I'm sure Grand Maester Harwyn will be taking care of it, he knows to call for Lord Massey for such events." The queen's eyes fell to the folded piece of parchment and she sighed. "Lady Amber, once you've prepared the brew, I need you to deliver a letter for me. It will be for Lord Manwoody, he'll be staying in King's Landing tonight. It might not be safe for a young girl like yourself on the streets, so find a messenger to send this off, will you?"

Once the Bolton girl nodded, another strange smile on her face, Roslyn poured a lick of wax on the paper and stamped it with her personal sigil. It was not as extravagant as formal letters sent out, but the Dornishman would definitely recognize it. The queen leaned back in the stuffed chair, her head turned towards the open window. A murder in the bloodpit... That made for a very strange coincidence indeed.

Somewhere in King's Landing

A man stalked through the streets of the city, carefully following a certain woman. He wore a cloak to hide his appearance almost totally, aided greatly by the dimming light of the evening sky. Lady Haylana Forrester had received much praise for her performance in the melee, but there were some who were instead infuriated. It was not a woman's place to fight, after all, and the fact that she had shamed knights and lords was an insult that could not go unanswered. She would learn this soon, very soon indeed.

The man followed in silence, waiting for the girl to walk into an empty side street or an alleyway, or for her to leave the city and brave the road alone. It was only a matter of time now, and he watched and followed and waited with unwavering patience.

The Targaryen Lodgings in King's Landing

As the sun fell to touch the horizon, a filthy urchin boy approached the guards wearing Targaryen insignias that stood watch outside and told them he had a message for Lord Targaryen. He gave one of them a piece of paper and ran off before they could get any further information. The note was quite strange indeed, and it was brought to the attention their Lord immediately.

The Reyne Lodgings in King's Landing

As per the usual for the inn, a maid went around in the evening collecting soiled linens and replacing them with freshly washed items. Tonight's maid for the Reyne rooms was Celia Hill, a bastard girl from Ashemark, and she was quite fond of the Reyne brood as much for reminding her of home as for anything else. This evening, however, she also quietly slipped a folded cloth to Avicea and gave her a wink before hurrying out of the room.

There were two very different pieces of paper inside. One, a small scrap covered in cramped writing, was from Celia herself and signed simply with her initials.

A man asked me to deliver this to you. A secret admirer? CH

The other was a piece of very fine parchment, folded neatly and sealed with a dollop of red wax. It was a perfectly smooth blob of wax, lacking the impression of a lord's sigil that was a commonly used to identify the sender. The message contained within was also unsigned, and its contents were certainly more intriguing than note from a secret admirer.

Near The Manwoody Lodgings in King's Landing

The Frolicking Foal inn, located not far inside the King's Gate, was a very popular destination for lords and ladies traveling to King's Landing from the south. They were one of the inns that boasted a large enough stable to actually hold all the horses that came with such a group, whereas others by necessity had to direct their customers to stables elsewhere. The Manwoody brood and their many mounts took up a large portion of both the rooms and the stables, but such was the grand size of the establishment that they did not manage to take even half the available space.

In the evening after the melee, the stables were nearly deserted. There was a stableboy posted out front to keep an eye on things, but he was droopy-eyed and nodding off every few minutes. Kyne Sand proved to be far more attentive to the boy's charges than the boy himself. Whatever had brought him to the stables, he was in the right place at the right time to spot something odd indeed. Near the rear wall of the stable there was a stall that held a magnificent white stallion, the prize horse of Lord Myles Caswell, a young lord who had performed quite well in jousts at tourneys in the past few years and was regarded as a favorite to win the joust that would take place on the morrow.

The light of the rising moon glinted off of something as a person slipped through a gap in the back wall of the stall, a small window of sorts that allowed air to flow through the stables. It was only accessible by way of a small alley between the stables and the inn, and anyone entering that way was surely up to no good. There was no way to be sure of the intruder's identity, but from the brief glimpse Kyne got it appeared to be a boy with dark hair. He was entirely lost to sight in the shadows of the stall, but the horse whinnied and moved as far forward in the stable as it could go, making its displeasure with the presence of the boy quite obivious.

All Around The City

Among all the trouble and secrecy of the evening, there was one dubious glimmer of light and pleasantness in King's Landing. Many who had acquitted themselves well in the melee had messages delivered to them or their lodgings by beautiful women dressed in rather revealing clothing that showed more skin than it covered. Each was written in a looping and fanciful script that took up far more room on the pieces of parchment than the words truly warranted. They were addressed personally to the fighter for whom they were intended, but the rest of the message was the same.

You put on a marvelous performance this afternoon. I believe that no entertainment should be free, and I am quite happy to provide payment for my enjoyment. Bring this letter with you to The Lady's Lament on the Street of Silk and you will be granted an hour with a beauty of your choosing. We have women and men to suit most any fancy, and they are quite eager to see if your prowess on the field is matched by your prowess in bed. Come by any time, our doors and legs are always open.

Kind regards,
Lucias Longman, Master of The Lady's Lament, Purveyor of Pleasure, Merchant of Merriment, Broker of Bliss, and Dealer of Delights

Such messages were delivered to the Forrester encampment for Ser Randel and Haylana, the Reyne lodgings for Perryn, the Red Keep for Gawain Tarly and Ser Borros Connington, and many others throughout the city and the tents beyond. Lonnet the Red was seen swaggering into the Lady's Lament within an hour of the messages being sent out, accompanied by a veritable horde of his sellsword companions. Word of the odd messages spread through the city and the tents, but not so quickly as the news of underdressed women walking around and drawing many eyes. If not for the escort of two armed men per woman there might have been some rather unfortunate incidents, but Lucias Longman took good care of his beauties, and those beauties made a point of telling their hungry-eyed admirers exactly where they might be able to indulge their base desires for a very reasonable price.

The Lady's Lament was a newer brothel that had not previously made a name for itself, but this evening it was very popular indeed.

Once returned to Searle's side, Avicea had busied herself once more with watching the excitement blooming around the tournament grounds. Everyone seemed so caught up in the events that they were moving around like dancers all unfamiliar with the tune and trying remember the steps. Some hurried through, paying little mind to the movements of those around them. More than one pair of people had their heads bent forward, creating a private space just between the two and Avicea wondered idly as she saw them whether they were lovers or sharing some other secret. Cutting through the noise like spring water splashed across filth, Avicea abandoned her musings as soon as she heard the bright voice of her returning brother.

"Down on the ground, I was draped in women like a northerner with furs. They know how to make you feel like a hero, even when all I did was get knocked out of playing pretend with the other boys and girls. I cannot imagine what it would have been like if I'd actually won."

There was Perryn, looking none the worse for wear except the hair matted to his forehead with dirt and sweat from his exertions. Underneath, his skin glowed ruddy and his eyes were glinting as though he really were just a child who'd been out at play with his friends. Avicea couldn't help but laugh at the site and the cheer between them seemed infectious as Searle cracked a smile.

"Now you're home safe again and we can remind your ego that you barely took out a few peasant boys trying to figure out which end of the weapon to hold before you were caught off-guard and knocked flat."

Searle's rejoinder lacked venom and Perryn slapped his brother on the back in response, laughing now as well. There seemed to be no end of people trying to flaunt themselves in front of the queen - hopeful that she hadn't actually decided on this prospective heir or hoping for a little heft to their squabbles, to be sure. The trio had managed to press their way close to her but Searle prevented the others from going forward as soon as he was close enough to see her face. Avicea glanced up at him and followed his line of sight to the queen. The woman looked nearly at the end of her rope, tired and praying to the Seven that she be allowed to leave soon. Understanding dawned across her features and she followed Searle's lead, curtsying as he bowed low, pressing Perryn into the same with the hope that it at least caught the queen's attention before taking their leave.

A few casual greetings were passed between them and various lords and ladies as they made their way back to the servants and litter in which they had arrived. Once more, now due not only to the weight of the armor that he still carried but also due to the fact that he was now less than clean, Perryn opted to accompany his squire on foot back to the inn where they were lodged.

The day seemed to have gone in a blur, touching evening already by the time that Perryn arrived back once more. Searle had been spending his time writing letters and Avicea had turned her attention again to her embroidery, a panel of creamy pale orange silk with a fully realized red sun emblazoned on it, clear signs of a golden spear to follow. She glanced out the window every so often, wondering if Perryn was dallying with the food stalls outside.

"What a diligent creature you are, making her a birthday present," the tone dripped of so much smugness that she didn't even need to look up to see his expression, she had heard his smirk. Avicea put on her best attempt at a scowl seeing the half-eaten duck sausage he held but was pacified in an instant when he procured from a pocket a bag of candied almonds.

"You smell like you've been rolling around on the street with the dogs," Avicea noted, popping an almond into her mouth, eyelids fluttering closed with brief ecstasy. It felt as though it had been ages since she'd had one and the coarse sweetness was a welcome assault to her senses. "If you don't go bathe, you're going to make me vomit up my sweets."

Avicea retreated to her room, catching sight of Celia Hill before the girl handed her a cloth with a smile and a wink. Confusion turned to surprise as Avicea went from the little note to opening the conspicuously unmarked letter. With eyes like saucers, her gaze flitted around the room as though she expected the letter-writer to be standing in a corner. She took several deep, stabilising breaths and tucked the letter inside a small pocket hidden away in silk breeches.

Surreptitiously creeping into the servant's room to borrow, with every intent to return, a dress dirty from traveling, Avicea paused in the hall when she heard an argument in progress between her brothers.

"Think of the rumors, think of what they might whisper if a man is invited to sample the delicacies of the city and does not partake!"

"It does not help a man looking to marry if he spends all his time indulging in complimentary whores, Perryn!"

"Not whoring around doesn't seem to be doing much for you either way."

Avicea nearly choked on laughter and quickly slipped once again into her own chambers to change her clothes, hoping that her presence hadn't caught the attention of either brother. When she was finished, she took advantage of their preoccupation and the servant entrance to creep down to where the guards were having beers below.

"L-lady?"the first she approached stuttered, looking equal parts shame-faced and bewildered. He'd been a boyhood friend of Perryn and a trusted face among her guard. Pressing a finger to her lips, she shook her head.

"I need you and a few others to come with me. Bring arms, but leave behind anything that will attract scrutiny. Tell Rabbit to do what he does best. I'll be waiting outside."

She had hardly stepped over the threshold, it seemed, before a small cluster of men followed her into the dark. She gave them an encouraging smile and lead them onward from the comfortable street through alleys and winding sidestreets. The smell grew until it had an almost physical presence as she approached her destination. It was every bit as rowdy as promised, even from the outside.

It was difficult to survey the room quickly, for its inhabitants wouldn't stay still. Busy fighting, sloshing tankards, men singing and jostling other patrons. She was even fairly certain that there was a man and a whore rutting off on a table in the back. After seconds that felt like an age apiece, however, she spotted a bold flash of red in the otherwise almost uniform brown and grey.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was evening, and Landon's share of the strongwine had long since run dry.

He had depleted the Qohorik's wine in the opening rounds of the melee, and supplanted it with another Dornish red. Sour, not nearly as strong, but wonderful in its own right. The Thorned Knight had fallen as his sixth cup had drained empty, and he had beckoned for a seventh before his lady-wife had chided him. She had worn the face of a sympathetic acquaintance then, expression barely betraying disappointment.

A seventh cup had come to him nonetheless, snatched from a serving boy as the melee had run its course. Karson had giggled at his sloppy attempt at sleight-of-hand, and Brandis had been typically courteous.

Now, in the dim of his own abode, his own chambers, Dornish red gave way to sweet hippocras, purchased at cut-rate from Highgarden merchants. Young Karson had been tucked away somewhere, drained from the excitement of the afternoon's festivities. Septa Unara would be reading something to calm him - something grounded in reality, that shunned glory hounds and romantic fools, that preached duty and fealty. Brandis sat at the far end of his chamber, a slim silhouette in front of the candle light, a quill in her hand.

His lady-wife, a stranger in his chambers. It must have been a year since she had last made the journey from Stonedance. Karson had waited that very same year, but his reunion had come far easier. Even amidst his drunken haze he had heard his son's cheers during the melee, uproarious hollers in support of the man with the red cloak, and the way he regaled his mother with all the various ripostes and counter-ripostes he had spotted. Brandis had played along, almost enthusiastic. The Brandis he remembered shunned the brutality of men.

"Brandis…" He began softly, before his voice drifted into nothingness. The name felt strange, the unfamiliarity resting ill upon his tongue. He swallowed, and it turned to frustration within him. He remembered the sight of that slim silhouette from so many years ago, across from him in his bedchambers, overlooking the waters below Stonedance. Of course he did.

"My wife," Landon approached that familiar, distant shadow with the caution of a hunter. Brandis moved to cover the parchment, but he could see the delicate strokes of ink from beneath her fingers, "Your writing is impeccable. Your lettering is… you write well."

"My thanks, Landon." She responded with a gentle smile; a warm relief. "Karson says he's envious of me for it, though he needn't be - few boys are. Septa Unara must be wonderful; he writes well for his age. He wrote to me often."

Landon had not. He never had. His lips quivered, desperately attempting to form an apology for that slight. Yet he found none sufficient, none adequate, and so he responded with precious nothing. He wished the candlelight would dim a fraction more, so that he could not see her puzzled expression, as if quizzically examining the small, shrivelled silence that came from his mouth. Alas, the evening was not near so dark.

Knowing nothing else, he placed his calloused fingers upon her shoulder, numb from wine. "I am… diminished, I think. I should rest- my wife."

He leaned forward, his motions so slight, so withdrawn and restrained that they drew no reaction save for the stillness of Brandis' confusion. She sat frozen even as he drew closer and closer, close enough to gently lift the drapes of her hair with his fingers. Close enough to capture her familiar scent of jasmine, rendered faint by the toils of the day. Close enough to intertwine in a parting kiss, before he remembered the foul stink of alcohol in his breath.

The moment ended as he recoiled, as he noted the way she averted her gaze. For that as well, Landon could muster no apology.

...Amidst the Gathering Winds
@Shizuochan and @Jorick

He turned, seeking the blissful reprieve of an early slumber, before even that was scuppered. First, it had been the quiet step of serving girl, followed by two men of the Watch and their frantic march. One's expression was rigid, the other's endlessly malleable and expressive - both the result of urgency and anxiety. Something was amiss.

"My Lor-."

"Lead. Tell me of it, as we walk." Words came so very easily to him then, even when spoken slowly in drunken deliberation. The fact made him recall her face, her piteously bemused puzzlement.

The guards led him to Harwyn and his assortment of Watchmen, assembled at the Dragonpit. The tale, as it happened, had been one of murder - and of a maester no less. Lord Massey strode forth to meet the Ironborn, his drunken sway apparent to the worldly eye, respectably controlled though it was.

"Grand Maester." He offered, breath still full of wine.

Harwyn's eyes narrowed as the Master of Laws approached. "I hope the wine doesn't soften your mind as badly as it does your stomach." He gestured off to the side with one hand, which had a piece of parchment clutched tightly between the fingers, and walked in that same direction to lead the way toward the Bloodpit.

The Dragonpit itself was a decaying ruin of ancient splendor, more rubble than structure, but there were hints of the past to be found in carvings in the stone not yet worn away by time and weather. There was a stone square set in the center of the hard-packed dirt floor, but Harwyn led the way off to the side, near to one of the crumbling walls that ringed the dirt. The infamous Bloodpit was nothing more than a not-quite-circular hole in the dirt, twenty feet across at the widest and nearly fifteen deep. Some of the men of the City Watch were lowering a ladder into the hole, though it was not quite long enough to make the full distance from top to bottom.

While the old stains of blood that earned the pit its name had long ago been washed away, it now had a fresh coat of red that did a good job of evoking the past. Maester Cowen's body was a crumbled heap near the center of the pit and a large pool of blood had spread outward from a head wound. There were no obvious weapons nearby, not even large rocks, but there was a large spray of red droplets up on the surface a couple feet away from the edge of the pit that told the tale quite clearly.

After giving Lord Massey time to look over it all, Harwyn offered him the note that had been clutched in his hand. "This was delivered to me perhaps half an hour ago. A bearded man paid a girl in Flea Bottom two silver pieces to bring it to me." His voice was already tight and angry, but as he continued it took on a growling tone. "I think he wanted to taunt me, but perhaps my judgment is... biased. What do you make of it? Assuming you aren't too drunk to read, of course."

"My vision - and my literacy - remain, Grand Maester." Lord Massey replied as he took the note into his hands, his tone conveying reassurance rather than defiance. The Master of Laws considered few men to possess judgment worthy of merit or consideration; the Ironborn, who had once spoken against the whole of his own kinsmen in the line of duty, was amongst that rare few.

Landon regarded the note with blank eyes and dull dispassion, though his lips pursed, and the wrinkles on his weathered face furrowed. His gaze wandered from letter to the macabre scene - from the bloodied edge of the pit to lifeless maester - before returning to the parchment. He spoke again, eyes fixed upon the letter. "To taunt you, in particular? Unreasonable to conclude without further knowledge. To taunt a man in your position; perhaps. Slight difference, Grand Maester. Notable."

Lord Massey, as if half-awoke, continued speaking in fragmented spurts of spilt thoughts, "This… 'Sam' commits murder to hide some secret work. Betrays the knowledge of it through goading in the very same day. It could be senseless arrogance, sending this message. Could also be that the recipient is already knowledgeable of this secret work - perhaps even complicit, to some extent - and this is a threat to remain mum." Lord Massey lifted his eyes from the parchment to stare pointedly at the Ironborn, before again diverting his gaze.

Almost half a century ago, Lord Justyn Massey had perished in the bloodpit, condemned by Roslyn Martell. Now, the late Lord's grandson stood over where his blood had been shed, serving the very same queen. If the thought gave the Master of Laws pause, he did not deign to show it. "That this should happen here, not long before the Queen's nameday, can be no coincidence. .. Have you any idea where Maester Cowen would have been, before his demise?"

Harwyn was silent for a time, jaw clenched as he looked down into the pit. When he spoke once more his tone was more controlled but still unable to hide the simmering anger. "Bold theories. Foolish in large part, but bold. Your point about the position being the target rather than me personally may have some validity." He turned away from the gruesome sight to face Lord Massey, brows drawn down as he considered the question.

"Last I saw Maester Cowen he was on his way into the city to find some place to drink. He was no drunkard so far as I knew, but he did have a fondness for wine from the Arbor. He was assigned to Karhold, so I suppose he saw this trip to King's Landing as a chance to indulge in luxuries that are hard to find so far in the North." The heat had slowly fallen away from Harwyn's voice as he spoke, and as he continued on his eyes seemed focused on some point in the middle distance rather than on Landon. "He was a wise and kind man, and he considered even white lies to be some manner of evil. I can't imagine he was part of anything nefarious, but he was never the best judge of character. When he was studying at the Citadel he would sometimes wander off to the seedier taverns near the docks. He got into some trouble now and then, lost a lot of gold to thugs and pickpockets, but he never seemed to learn to stay away from such disreputable places."

Harwyn blinked and focused on the Master of Laws again. "Old men rarely ever change their habits. My best guess is he went somewhere he shouldn't have been, some tavern frequented by criminals, and ran afoul of them. How he ended up here I cannot begin to guess, but were I a betting man I would stake money on the claim that the trouble started in some shit heap of a tavern."

"As trouble often does."

Landon shifted uncomfortably, perhaps more at ease with the Ironborn's anger than his reminiscence. "But he ran afoul of no common criminal. No obvious signs of struggle, bruises or scratches. He may have been compelled here, under duress. He may have come of his own accord, before he was struck. Here, of all places."

His eyes returned to the parchment, fixated on a single line. "It is significant, to some degree. The Bloodpit - as more than a dumping grounds. 'History has always been written in layers of blood.' I mislike the choice of words."

Lord Massey addressed Harwyn once more, tired voice enlivened with the slightest hints of impetus, "The whereabouts of the girl?"

Harwyn nodded slowly as Lord Massey spoke of the nature of the murder and the strange line from the note, but he said nothing about them. The question about the girl made him grimace. "Somewhere in Flea Bottom." Some of the fire had returned to his voice, but he was still much calmer than he had been when speaking of the murderer. "She ran off before I read the note, and by the time I roused some of your men to find her she'd already made it past the outer gate of the Red Keep and into the city. She told me her name is Sylva, and she said that she and her mother came from Rosby. Dark hair, looked underfed. Will that be sufficient to find her?"

"Perhaps, perhaps not." Landon replied after a pause, weighing the likelihood of it. Flea Bottom held poor children in abundance, and 'Sylva' was as like to be a false name as it were a real one. "I will gather men to scour Flea Bottom."

The arm that held the parchment fell by the Lord's side, "You represent the maesters - I would have you make inquiry of them. To shed, if possible, further light on Cowen's movements in King's Landing. I will make similar inquiries of the Karstarks' retainers."

"Yes, I will of course be speaking to my fellow maesters." Harwyn's voice grew dark and his eyes strayed back toward the pit and its gory contents. "I doubt they will have any useful information, but I must inform them of this tragedy and warn them to be careful. I am concerned that this may be more than a rogue incident, Lord Massey. Maester Cowen may have been targeted for his position just as that message may have been meant for the position of Grand Maester rather than me personally. This was a deliberate killing, and that line about history and layers of blood..."

Harwyn grimaced and looked back to the Master of Laws. "To some extent, maesters are history, the keepers and recorders of much that would be otherwise forgotten. A writer of history now lays in his own blood. Call me a daft fool if you like, but there's a twisted sort of poetry there. If this killer is a learned man, as his writing suggests, then perhaps he was hinting at more to come."

"More maesters, specifically?" Lord Massey echoed the Ironborn's implication, tilting his head in thought, "What strange motive compels the targeted threats of men who hold no lands, lordships, or even the names of their own House? You appear to be suggesting some form of symbolism."

"Yes, and I hope it's a suggestion that is as foolish as it sounds." Harwyn fell silent for an extended moment, then went on in a more speculative tone. "There are some men who the Citadel casts out for a variety of reasons. Criminals mostly, but some for failing to see to their duties or defying the archmaesters. Such a man who believes their expulsion to be unjust could be both learned enough to employ this symbolism and aggrieved enough to hold a grudge against maesters as a whole."

He let out a sharp sigh and swept his hand to the side, as if brushing the idea away. "But I truly suspect it will turn out to be some arrogant twat of noble birth who intended no deeper message at all. It would be far from the first time a fool's work was mistaken for genius. I will send a raven to the Citadel to inquire after expulsions in recent years, but I believe you and your men will prove far more useful in finding the truth of what happened here."

Landon offered a curt nod in response, "Very well. In matters pertaining to the Citadel, I defer to you." He looked past the Ironborn, surveying the Watchmen present, "As for the City Watch, we will do what is necessary."

"Good." Harwyn took another quick glance into the pit and grimaced at what he saw. "I'll leave you to your work then. If I learn anything useful I shall send word immediately." He gave Lord Massey a quick nod, an abbreviated bow of sorts, and turned to go, heading for the entrance of the Dragonpit with quick steps and clenched fists swinging at his sides.

As for Lord Massey, he offered a lingering glance at the Bloodpit before departing also, with an almost sober vigor, and words whispered beneath his breath.

"Velaryon, Darklyn, Stokeworth, Massey, Hayford, Farring, Pyne, and Targaryen..."

Xandor Targaryen

Xandor's chance encounter with Lady Jeyne Lannister Arryn was beyond anything he could have ever put together himself. It left the lord of the crownlands with a smirk he couldn't seem to wipe off his face as he walked along with his sister away from the gardens. His thoughts of the iron throne were still in their infancy but a meeting with two great houses at Dragonstone, that had once fought alongside his ancestors, was perfect and exactly what he would need to make his thoughts turn into reality.

Helenah huffed beside Xandor purposely keeping her gaze away from his. Her face was stern and the violets of her eyes were hooded behind a furrowed brow. Xandor knew his sister long before she was his wife. She was upset and she intended on letting him know why. Saving himself potential hours of torture, as Helenah loved to do when they were home, Xandor stopped short and stood directly before her. "Speak. This is not Dragonstone. We resolve this now. You will not walk around king's landing with a snarl." Helenah let out a deep breath as she stared at her husband. She was tempted to remain silent, let him wallow for a time but the look on Xandor's face told her she wasn't moving from where she was until she told him what was wrong. "Do you intend on creating an alliance with Lady Jeyne? Is she going to be the new Lady Targaryen?"

Xandor could scarce believe what she was telling him. He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Is this what has you so troubled, huffing and glaring like a petulent child?" He turned away from Helenah and began to walk back to camp, gesturing for her to follow quickly beside him. "An alliance? Yes, I desire it. An alliance through marriage? Absolutely not. Marrying outside of our house was the beginning of the end for our empire. If Aegon had never married Perla Martell…" Xandor looked around and lowered his voice to barely over a whisper. "…a Targaryen would still be on the iron throne." Xandor kept his voice low as they walked through the streets of King's Landing, maneuvering their way to their quarters where they could speak more freely.

The black banner with the signature three headed red dragon came into view. Targaryen guards stood by and shifted to the side once the lord paramount came closer. Xandor opened the door and gestured for Helenah to enter inside. Their quarters were modest, not anything like castle Dragonstone and especially not the Red Keep. Xandor had never been within its walls but he assumed it had to be breathtaking and truly fitting for a king.

Once inside, Xandor looked to Helenah who still did not seem satisfied with his previous answer. Her brow was still furrowed and it frustrated the lord of the crownlands. "By the gods of Old Valyria, Helenah." "Are you interested in her?" she quickly snapped back at him. But Xandor would not hear it. "No! And you, better than anyone, should know that. Do not ruin this for me. My interests lay in meeting her husband and father. And if playing nice with Lady Lannister is how I will achieve that, then so be it. You do not dictate what I do. You are my sister." Helenah's eyes opened slightly wider, taken aback by his words. "I am your wife." The two stared at one another, violet meeting emerald, until Xandor finally broke the silence. "Get some rest, Helenah." He walked away to a separate room, signally the end of their argument.

Xandor and Helenah did not have the perfect marriage, far from it, but what they had was what Xandor needed. They had always been close growing up. He trusted her. She knew all his secrets, ambitions and dreams. She still did. But marriage was forced upon them and a small seed of resentment resided in Xandor's heart towards his wife. It wasn't her fault. It was their father's doing to keep the Targaryen line pure yet still…their marriage hurt their friendship more than either of them cared to admit. Still, Xandor trusted Helenah, he cared for her and ensured she was well. He did everything he could to make her happy and as he sat by a fire in King's Landing, it became apparent to him that making amends was what he needed to do as soon as possible.

The sun had begun to set over the horizon as Xandor rose to his feet to finally lay to rest what had transpired between him and his sister. They needed to be united, now more than ever. He walked over to her as she lay in bed. "Helenah…" he began but couldn't continue as a knock came at their door. Xandor cocked a brow and moved to open the door. One of the guards handed him a small note. "Lord Xandor, I believe you need to see this." Xandor took the small paper in his hands, examining it before reading its contents. The paper appeared to be from a ledger with lines marking rows and columns. It had two torn edges, one very rough and the other still holding a bit of glue from where it was bound into the book. Xandor's eyes narrowed as he wondered what the meaning of the note was. The writing was messy and completely ignored the lines on the paper.

He read its contents quickly, having to reread it over and over for a moment to make sense of it. His brow furrowed, his eyes narrowed as he turned his angry attention to his guards. "What is the meaning of this? Who sent this note?!" The guard that had delivered the note said, "It was delivered by a filthy boy. His only words were that the message was for you then he ran off." Xandor looked back down at the note and read it once more. He mulled over his decision but finally instructed the guard to follow him to the rivergate.

Helenah rose quickly and moved towards Xandor, pulling at his arm. "This doesn't seem right, Xandor. Just ignore it." Xandor placed a hand over Helenah's. Their skin tone matched perfectly. It was hard to tell where Xandor began and Helenah ended. "I will return shortly." He turned and nodded towards the guard and the two continued out into King's Landing and towards the rivergate.

It didn't take long for the Targaryens to arrive. Xandor's eyes immediately settled on the shop in question. He didn't miss the irony as he stared at the dragon head above the shop. He pushed the door open and entered inside…

Ag735hV.jpg

Returning to the inn was no small feat for Seban and Obara. The crowd had been large and unyielding at first, and when it wasn't so, Obara would be lingering, catching the eyes of many young men, regardless of their birth status.

"Obara," Seban started, shaking his head. "As much as I dislike interfering in your affairs, it would do best for you to remember we are not in Lemonwood, we're in King's Landing. People here are… different." He cast an unamused glance in her direction. "I'm quite sure I mentioned this to you multiple times on our way here."

"You worry too much," was his little sister's reply. "I can outsmart any of these men; they're wrapped around my finger even before they speak to me."

"You can't make that assumption. Even if it were so, men dislike being played with. At home, I am Lord, I can very well punish any man or woman for mistreating you. Over here…" He motioned his hand in the direction of the city walls. "It's not the same. Name plays a great part in decision making here. You may be my beloved sister, but to the rest of Westeros-"

"-I'm a bastard, I know." The smile Obara had been wearing diminished. "You don't need to remind me, I know I'll always be nothing more."

The walk back to the inn seemed to have increased due to the silence that carried on between the two siblings, causing the Lord Dalt to feel guilty about his earlier words. As much as Seban disliked bringing up her illegitimacy, it was necessary here and he had to make sure she didn't forget it, no matter how it made them both feel in the end. Deziel would have been perfectly fine dishing out insults in her direction, but he had always been protective of his bastard siblings in that regard, and especially Obara in particular.

Gods, I can't wait to return to Lemonwood.

If Seban thought the inn would be any respite though then he was terrible wrong. Allyria Dalt had always had an unhealthy habit of being good at gambling, and by the time he finally located her, she had already won the coins of several unhappy looking fellows.

"Time to return to our rooms," he told her once the men were assured the pile of gold was not leaving the room. He ignored their squabbling as they began to fight over how many dragons and how many coppers belonged to whom, keeping an around his grandmother's shoulder and a hand on Obara's as he led he back to their quarters.

"I need some air," he decided once he made sure there were at least a couple of Lemonwood soldiers keeping guard. And a drink. "I will return at night. Until then-" he cast his eyes on old Allyria rather harshly before softening them marginally when he looked at Obara "-no getting into trouble. I will cut your allowances if I hear anything."

aHA6opb.jpg

Collab with @Jorick

Setting her now empty mug of ale down on the table. Haylana stood up, ready to leave, Catching the eye of the barmaid who'd served her, she beckoned her over and handed the lass a gold dragon as a tip. "Don't go wasting it now," she joked, giving the girl a grin before heading for the door. Drinking alone in a tavern wasn't a normal pastime for the Forrester, but after strolling through the streets of King's Landing, she had gotten thirsty as well as a little over conscious of the eyes looking her way. Even the tavern had people coming to her and asking questions, or congratulating her.

Well, the common folks anyway.
She supposed it made sense that they would be pleased with a woman knocking down several men of esteem. However, she had been catching the narrowed and displeased glances in her direction as well as drunken mutterings of lesser lords and second sons. It was nearing evening, and she believed she had found the smithy who suited her weapon needs. It was time to go back to their encampment and bully Hastley some more into giving her a gift.

If he's even back yet, she thought to herself as she stepped out of the tavern, heading in no particular direction. She knew her brother was head over heels in love with the third Grimm daughter and would probably take this chance to spend as much time as he could with her. It always stumped her why he hadn't pursued the Lady Grimm instead; then again, the older Grimm may have just been a little too much for her poor twin.

It was soon apparent to Haylana that she was lost. "Seven hells," she cursed, not really caring if anyone heard. Maybe it would have been smarter to have had someone accompany her earlier. "Too late for that now." She paused in her steps, deciding to retrace her steps to the tavern and then continue on from there. She hadn't gone too far before stopping once more, though this time it was due to footsteps. Looking back, she saw a man headed her way. He didn't seem like anyone of importance so she started once more, quickening her pace,

Truly, Ironrath is so much better than this dank and miserable place. Annoyed that she could still hearing the footsteps behind her, Haylana ducked into the first side street she came across, grabbing the hilt of her sword and pulling it free of its scabbard. The footsteps seemed to pause for a while before she heard them once more, heading further.

"Heh." Haylana let out a short, humourless laugh, shaking her head as she made to put her sword away.

Another set of footsteps, furtive but quick, came from the same direction as the first pair. These, however, neither paused nor continued past. They headed directly for the side street Haylana had slipped into, and soon enough a bulky form wrapped in a cloak turned onto the street. A glint of moonlight off metal revealed a short blade, thinner and longer than a normal dagger, held at the ready.

"Lookie what we got here." The man no attempt to hide the blade or his face. He was a pig-faced man, with pudgy jowls and a squashed nose, and his lips were turned up in a cruel sneer. "Been watchin' you, girlie. Been followin'. You shoulda stayed outta the fight. Ain't that right?" The question was directed past her.

"Damn right." The second voice came from much farther back, down near the other end of the small street. This man had a proper longsword in hand, and he was no stranger to Haylana. Ser Barten Waters was one of the men who had fallen before her in the melee earlier that day, and he looked none too pleased to see her again. He was a more comely man in basic features than the other, but the hate in his green eyes was enough to twist his face into an ugly mask. "We're going to teach you a woman's proper place, girl. If you stay quiet I might even let you live." Ser Barten walked toward her without any hurry in his step, and his thug friend did the same, both with the clear intent to trap her with an enemy on either side and no escape in sight.

"Sounds to me like you were the one who should have stayed out of the fight, Ser." Though her retort was calm with a tinge of added snark, Haylana knew very well that this was a precarious sort of situation she found herself in. She gritted her teeth; the words coming from the man were far more grating than his voice. "Teach me, will you?" Her eyes narrowed. "Or maybe I'll just have to teach you again that your proper place is in the dirt."

Thanking the old gods that she hadn't yet put her sword away, Haylana's hand tightened its grip as she brought her sword up, readying herself. A quick glance at her former opponent showed he had come armed with a longword, while the stranger who spoke first had a blade shorter than hers. Not that size really made a difference in her opinion. Without further ado, she struck, aiming a swift kick for the man's crotch.

The kick landed true, and the large man let out a squeal that suited his piggish appearance. He spat out a curse and slashed at Haylana with his dagger, a wild series of swings that mostly missed; the only strike that landed left a shallow gash on her right forearm. It was very clear that this man was not skilled with a blade, but his bulk and the wild swinging made for a fairly effective barrier in the narrow street.

The footsteps from behind Haylana picked up their pace, but they echoed oddly, like there were two men running at her instead of one. "Grab her you idiot!" Ser Barten called out to his companion, and based on the distance of his voice and the speed of his steps it seemed he would be on here in a mere handful of seconds.

Haylana cursed under her breath, not at all happy with the stinging pain in her right arm; she'd had worse injuries but it was a nuisance that the gash was on her sword arm. Without delay she shifted her sword to her left hand, grimacing when she heard Ser Barten yet again. Her forehead creased, and with only a split second to think she turned away from the fat man and instead rushed towards the bastard instead, aiming to slash at his legs with her blade.

Ser Barten was quick to react and jumped back out of the way of Haylana's sword, and he pulled his arm back to stab her in retaliation. He hesitated as the sound of footsteps did not cease when he stopped running, but he didn't have time to turn around before an armored gauntlet slammed into the side of his head. As he crumpled to the ground, revealing a large man wrapped in a cloak that failed to hide his white armor, the newcomer looked over Haylana's head toward the man behind her and called out in a booming voice full of steel and anger.

"Drop your weapon and surrender!"

The pudgy man did not seem to be a good listener: he turned and ran with his dagger still clutched in his hand, not moving particularly fast as he was still hobbling from the pain between his legs, but it was clear he had no intention of doing as he was told.

It was the white armor that caused Haylana to drop her weapon, otherwise she very well would have attempted to attack the newcomer as well. Instead, she moved back and out of the way of the man who had barked the order, her grip on her weapon slackening, though she kept a hold on it just in case. She looked away from crumpled Ser Barten, watching the other oaf trying to make his escape.

"I don't think he heard what you said," she mentioned in an offhand manner. While she was grateful for the interruption to whatever Ser Barten had planned, she was a little surprised; she would have thought the Kingsguard had better places to be.

"So it seems." Ser Borros brushed past Haylana and gave chase to the pudgy man, but when he heard the pursuit he ran faster and proved surprisingly quick. Borros only went as far as the end of the street before turning around and returning, scowling down at the unconscious man as he did so. "At least I got this one. Perhaps he'll give up his thug friend after a few nights in the dungeon."

As he sheathed his sword, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard looked Haylana over with a critical eye. The anger had faded from his face and voice, and when he spoke he sounded more worried than anything else. "You've been cut. My apologies for being so slow, Lady Forrester. I'd hoped to grab Ser Barten before he cornered you, but I lost him for a moment in the maze of alleys he ran through. I can roust a maester if you've need of one."

"I think I should do well enough without a maester," Haylana replied, looking down at the gash. For a moment she had forgotten it was even there, though now that it was mentioned the stinging had returned again. "I'll be taking this as the gods telling me to return to the Forrester encampment for the night."

She sheathed her own sword looking up at the knight. "As much as I'd like to say I would have bested these two, the odds were probably against it." Grateful for the help but not very good at showing it, she bowed before uttering a simple "My thanks."

Borros chuckled and shook his head. "It was my pleasure, my lady. Even I would be in trouble in such a situation. The cowards surrounded you because they knew they could not best you face to face." Ser Barten started to stir, and Borros frowned down at him for a moment before casually putting a foot on the downed man's back to hold him there.

"Getting back to your encampment seems like a wise decision. Would you like an escort? I don't think the fool had any other friends skulking about, but one can never be too cautious."

Haylana thought about it for a moment before shaking her head, allowing herself to smile a little. "I think I should be fine from here onward. I'll probably keep to the main roads this time." And if she did think she was going to get lost again, she'd stay at an inn for the night. Morning light made everything easier, even in a dank and crowded city like this. At least, that's what she hoped.

Borros nodded and bent down to pick up the unconscious man, grunting at the weight. "Good thing the idiot didn't wear his armor, else I'd have to drag him." He threw Ser Barten over his shoulder, keeping hold of the legs dangling in front of his chest but letting the upper body dangle freely behind.

"I'll get him to the goldcloaks. He won't be bothering you again any time soon, if I have any say in the matter." Borros inclined his head to her, the closest thing to a bow he could manage with his burden. "It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance on the same side of a fight, Lady Forrester. If you have need of any help in the future, I'm always willing to lend a hand to a fellow warrior." He gave her just a brief flash of a smile before turning and heading on his way with the unconscious knight over his shoulder.

Once he was out of sight, Haylana finally stepped out of the side street. She paused momentarily to look down at her arm, grimacing. If Hastley sees this, I'll never hear the end of it. She could only hope he was still out with his lady love, but knowing how responsible her brother was, odds were he had already dropped her by her sister and was busy preparing for the night's festivities. A groan escaped her; the last thing she wished for at this moment was more false smiles and even falser wishes.

Tavern and inn it is then.

Seban was busy nursing a drink; it wasn't to his standards, but he didn't seem to mind. Nothing in King's Landing was quite like Lemonwood; his home was perhaps rather small, but he much preferred it to this place. Still, he would take in the little King's Landing had to offer while he was forced to remain in the city.

Hearing the door push open, he spared a glance in its direction, where to his surprise he saw the woman he had been hoping to talk to earlier. In hindsight, he did realize he should probably not have followed after her as he had, but that was bygones. He waited until she was closeby before standing up and addressing her.

"Lady Forrester, a pleasure to meet you-" His eyes caught sight of the blood on her forearm. "You're hurt, you need a maester-"

"If you know who I am, then surely you know a small scrape like this is nothing to me." The little woman sat down on the chair he had vacated, eyeing his drink. "Why not buy me a drink instead of fawning over me like an old grandmother?"

He thought of it for only a moment before agreeing. "Fine, but you'll allow me to bandage it for you." His mood seemed to lift as he continued. "And perhaps you can regale me as to how you knocked a certain Manwoody on his ass in front of the Queen."

Haylana couldn't help but snicker at that. "With pleasure, Lord…?"

"Dalt, of Lemonwood."

Last edited:
A collab with @Shizuochan & @Greenie

"My Ladies Grimm, how lovely it is to see you both again." Denys Tyrell deigned to reveal neither disdain nor joy, ever blessed with a noble's restraint. "I am well, although the melee is not typically my preferred choice of entertainment. I trust you enjoyed it?"

Tamsyn struggled not to roll her eye. Cousin Denys had always been reserved. It was a good quality for the Lady of a Great house to have but still it was irritating at times. "It was certainly diverting and I have one or two memories now that I shall cherish for some time to come. I trust that we didn't interrupt any important business."

"Not at all," Denys smiled, "The work of Ladies is often necessary, seldom important - I believe mother taught me that, begrudgingly so. It is good; cousins and ladies conversing well and proper, as is expected of us."

"It is a shame that talking politely amongst ourselves is often all that is expected of us. If today's excitement showed us anything it's that we Ladies can quite easily better many men, if we are only given the chance."

"And you," Denys nodded pointedly at Tamsyn, "know that better than most. Do you not, Lady of Greyshield?"

"I only do what is expected of me so that my lord brother's lands are in a fit state for him to take control of when he is old enough. If I can do that better than many of the fools that call themselves lords, well then, that is just the Seven smiling on me."

"Well said, cousin. Your good work upon Greyshield is noted by us all." Her approval was muted, a slight smile, "Would that I could say the same for the affairs of mine own House."

"You flatter me cousin; your praise means a lot to me. As for the affairs of House Tyrell; I am sure that they are well taken care of with you there to help guide your husband's hands." This was maybe laying it on a little thick Tamsyn knew but a little flattery was a cheap price to pay to help stay in the good graces of the Wardens of the South.

"Where is Lord Gaheris my lady? I heard he was accompanying you, but I did not see him earlier at the melee." The question caught Tamsyn off guard and it took her a moment that it was Astrid had spoken. If they had been in a less exposed position she would have given her sister a kick on the ankle. As it was, Tamsyn concentrated on not letting her own curiosity about the question's answer show on her face.

"It had been the intent of our House for Gaheris to pay respects to the Queen during the melee," Lady Tyrell sighed, months of exasperation captured in one long breath, "but it appears the brothels of King's Landing agree with him."

Denys surveyed the scurrying crowd of nobles and serving girls, "If it were only a matter of appearance, my brother-in-law could burrow beneath the dirt and defile whatever he pleased, as long as he stayed hidden. Unfortunately, my Lord-Husband decided that he represents us in matters of war and politic."

Not having expected such frankness from her cousin Tamsyn was a little surprised by Deny's exclamation. "It would seem then your husband was wise not to send him alone, even if he should have made you his representative on all matters."

"Perhaps he should have, although my husband thought the task would be too much for my constitution." Denys tittered, "An opinion made fact only once he had named Gaher- what is that?"

She pointed from her perch in the stands, identifying a scarred man in silken robes, flanked by an assortment of courtesans from the Street of Silk. Ser Gaheris Tyrell was garbed in purple, while his ladies were draped in all manner of sharp reds, and bright, almost obscenely so, greens and pinks. Nobles turned their heads as the scarred one's procession made their way through in a display of tasteful irreverence.

It wasn't hard for Tamsyn to spot what her cousin was pointing at; the vivid colours of Gaheris and his accompanying whores robes didn't so much catch the eye as assault it. Had it been anyone else standing next to her, Tamsyn would of allowed her amusement at the spectacle to show. For the sake of her cousin though she did her best to contain herself, the smallest of grins being the only indicator of how she truly felt. A muffled titter from her side reminded Tamsyn that her sister didn't have the same restraint and she dipped her hand into her rapidly emptying coin purse, handing what she grabbed to Astrid.

"Why don't you go and find a trinket for Gerren?" There was horrible moment when Tamsyn thought Astrid was going to argue to stay and watch what was about to unfold, but just as quickly as the moment arose it was gone and Astrid hurriedly made her way towards the stairs, hand over her mouth. Turning back to face the oncoming horde Tamsyn said nothing, simply holding her cousin's arm as she watched. Her father had made sure she had had plenty of etiquette lesson when she was growing up but nothing she had ever learned quite covered this situation.

Denys subdued the large parts of a shrill yell, "Gaheris, not here."

The scarred knight beamed in answer, wholly unaffected by Denys' chastisement, "O', sister, please! You haven't the slightest idea how much I had to pay the proprietor to let me bring these fine ladies out and about."

"What you do in private is no concern of mine - but this does not belong here."

"The girls, you mean?" the Tyrell knight's grin stretched the scars upon his face, "They are much like serving girls and watchmen dogs, sister - only better paid and well-versed in a different set of skills entirely. Or perhaps you were referring to me?"

The Knight turned his gaze away from Denys, offering Tamsyn a low bow, "Lady Grimm, you look delectable."

"Thank you Ser Gaheris" The curtsy Tamsyn gave was almost as rigid as her cousin's face. There was no way she was about to kneel and scrape to the man like one of his whore undoubtedly had at some point and confuse herself with them in his mind. "It is kind of you to say so, especially as you must surely have had your fill today already."

Gaheris offered a smile that never reached his eyes, "Only an appetizer, my Lady. I'm afraid I'm quite ravenous. And what of your appetite?"

"It is quite replete Ser, not that it is any of your concern." Tamsyn broke away from Gaheris gaze, looking at each of his whores one by one. "If I were looking to satisfy it however, I would not partake of the sort of cheaply bought meat you seem to favour. I prefer something a little more refined."

The Tyrell's displayed a look of piteous hurt, exaggerated to the point of pantomime, "House Grimm has kept faith with mine own House for ever so long, our faithful companions upon the Shield Islands - your appetite concerns me most dearly, my Lady. Besides, you do these fine girls an injustice. This one here calls herself, rather blasphemously if I may add, the Maiden, and cost me quite the bundle of gold dragons."

Her reserves of self control having been exhausted by the absurdity of the situation, Tamysn struggled to stifle a burst of laughter before replying. "I can't claim to be an expert in such matters but I'm sure her master is thanking the seven that some fool thought her worthy of such a price." Beside her she could almost feel her cousin's growing aggravation but that was mostly directed at Gaheris and so she allowed an amused smile to stretch across her face.

"I must say it is good to know that there is someone in Highgarden so concerned with my appetite, fool or not. It is reassuring that should I fall on hard times there will be something for me once even rats can no longer be found."

"Your words wound me, my Lady." The Knight's courtesy was flimsy, a mockery.

"Wounds deservedly inflicted." Lady Denys interjected, her voice heated, tempered steel. She continued, somewhat desperate to restore sense to the discourse. "How fares the Grey Fleet, cousin? We trust that the hands of House Grimm have been well-suited to the task?"

"My late fathers schemes to strengthen the fleet mean that it is ready to answer your husband call but I also have plans to strengthen it further." Tamsyn turned to face her cousins, removing Gaheris from her view. The knight may have been house Tyrell's representative in matters of war, but his mind was clearly elsewhere. "Seven willing, I plan on coming to an arrangement with the Forresters for them to supply me with ironwood. If the other shield lords follow my lead, Highgarden will have the strongest fleet from Pyke to Storm's End."

"A good thing then, for we'll need all the strength we can get." This was said by Taria Baratheon, who had been overhearing the conversation for a few moments and finally found the right moment to intrude. Having ended her little chat with Haylana Forrester, the heir to Storm's End had been on the lookout for the Tyrells. If they were to be allies in quelling the Dornish rebellion, then it was healthy to make ties in social gatherings like things.

"Ser, my ladies." She gave a stiff bow before standing straight. "Taria Baratheon, niece and heir of Lord Gerrant Baratheon of Storm's End. An honour to meet you."

The Tyrell knight bowed in kind, face gleeful when it reemerged, making towards Taria's hand in offerance of a kiss. The courtesans behind him moved as if rehearsed, strutting far enough away to lend their conversations privacy. "Gaheris Tyrell, son of the late Lord Gavin Tyrell, and heir to little in particular, unless a few kin should pass away. Fellow oppressor of the Dornish; truly a pleasure."

"I wouldn't call it oppressing, Ser Gaheris." Taria's reply was immediate, wanting to make her position clear. She allowed the peck to her hand, for an instant only. These kind of pleasantries were something she could do without, especially when she knew there were all for show. "Rather, following our Queen's orders and ending unnecessary bloodshed."

Her sharp gaze shifted from the Tyrells to look at the auburn haired woman. "I'm afraid I don't recognize you. Whom do I have the honour of addressing?"

"Tamsyn Grimm of Greyshield my lady and the honour is all mine." The reply was short and respectful. While Tamsyn felt confident speaking quite freely with most of the lords and ladies she had occasion to deal with, the heir of a great house was not one of them. This lady Baratheon called for a little more respect.

"Ah... from the Shield Islands." Taria was familiar enough with the reach to know that House Grimm and their fleet were the Reach's first line of defense against any naval attack. And they will be making arrangements to gain Ironwood... It seemed to her that perhaps it was best to keep in good terms with this house as well. "I have heard of your ships and their prowess. It is indeed good to know we fight on the same side."

She looked away from Tamsyn, eyes resting on the Gaheris, his garish, flamboyant clothing, and the women she deemed were probably prostitutes. Was this really who Lord Gawain Tyrell sent in his stead? Habit kept the expression on her face neutral, thankfully. "I assume Lord Gawain remained in Highgarden in order to see to the Queen's orders?"

"My Lord-Husband," Lady Denys began in the Knight's stead.

"... is gouty, and sick, and crippled." Gaheris finished, "He is in no position to attend feasts, nor manage affairs of war."

"I pray the Warrior grants him strength then." Taria didn't see how he would not be able to manage affairs of war from his stronghold, but she left it at that.

The Knight's unseemly beam was still stretched upon his ruined face, "But that is somber nonsense. How have you fared thus far, in this wondrous city? Are you quite safe? Noble Dornish bastards have also answered the Queen's calls, you may have noticed. I had the pleasure of meeting one myself; Kyne Sand, of the libidinous Manwoody's.

Fiery and hot-tempered, not apt to let a little thing like the Queen's law stop them from shedding the blood of us oppressors.
"

"King's Landing is full of snakes, but I've fared quite well. I've learned from a young age not only to keep myself safe but to protect others with my sword, but I am grateful for your concern." It had been hard to keep a straight face at the mention of the Manwoody bastard, but Taria kept her composure; friends were one thing, or rather friend… strangers were another. "I'm quite sure Manwoody bastards are the least of our concerns, if I'm being frank. They are known for their disdain of the Yronwood, and so a common ally to our houses as well as the Queen."

"Perhaps!" Gaheris opened his arms, a gesture of amicability, "But the directive of House Tyrell was to bring order to Dorne in any manner deemed fit, and paid no respects to such allegiances - I imagine House Baratheon's was much the same. If House Yronwood's ascension, decisive and swift, eventually proves the least bloody of the various avenues, it would be the duty of Houses Tyrell and Baratheon to place our swords in their hands.

Besides, House Manwoody stood behind House Yronwood for a time, before reaching for their own ascension. They have no true loyalty towards the Queen, surely you agree? In this conflict of Houses, only we do.
" It may well have been the scars, but the mischief upon the Knight's face was surely malevolent.

"For the time being they are allies though," Taria pointed out once more. "If there is one thing to be sure of, it's that they are no longer with the Yronwood. It seems ill-advised in my opinion to disregard their friendship when they could serve useful in quelling the rebellion in the south." She didn't wish to seem as if she was against the Tyrell, but she did feel he was finding the whole affair something of a game.

Her eyes shifted from Gaheris to his sister in law and then Tamsyn. "Lady Denys, surely you have your thoughts on the matter? And what about you, Lady Tamsyn?"

Briefly Tamsyn looked to her cousin, who nodded curtly to indicate that she wasn't going to speak just yet. "As long they can be controlled then we should use the Manwoody forces to bolster our own. The Yronwood's started this war by murdering our queen's family. Even if she has given no instruction as to how to end the hostilities I can not imagine she would be best pleased if the Yronwoods are left as the rulers of Dorne. If we have to fight the Manwoody forces as well, far more of our men will die. Whereas if we were to ally with them and House Dayne, then all our forces could be focused against the Yronwoods and we might be able to get the remaining factions to settle their disagreement without further blood shed." Tamsyn's gaze shifted from Taria, briefly onto Gaheris and then finally settled on her cousin. "Ultimately however my ships and men will go where and fight whom my lord chooses, my lady."

"My cousin and I," Lady Denys offered Tamsyn an appreciative nod, "are in accord, Lady Baratheon - to avenge the Martells should be of paramount import."

"Unless," There was a moment between Tyrell Lady and Knight alike where their shared gazes were as if venom, which dried up and faded before Gaheris continued, "the Queen is blessed with a magical brooch of fertility, the Martell name is irrelevant. The Yronwoods were the aggressors, yes, but the Daynes and Manwoodys are as good as turncloaks, and whatever loyalists left have proven to be little more than abject failures… perhaps they should all be sundered."

"Lady Baratheon," Gaheris bowed towards Taria once more, "I am remiss to engage you in less than sweetened, honeyed words. Still, the Shield Fleets and the Redwyne navies will carry the warriors of the Reach where I command, and the fearsome enders of the Storm where Lord Gerrant commands. It is paramount an accord is reached between us."

It was difficult to keep her face from showing any emotion, but once again years of training paid off. Still, on the inside Taria couldn't help but seethe; it was irritating when people didn't just come out and say what they meant, hiding before flowery words.

"I can assure you my Lord Uncle has the Queen's orders as priority above all else, and if necessary, appropriate steps will be taken." She cast a glance at the others before continuing. "However, it is not my place to speak in my Uncle's stead; I am merely here representing him at the Queen's nameday celebrations. If you do have any further concerns, you may always send a missive to Storm's End; I am sure he will take note of it."

With that said, she stepped back and bowed. "I shall take my leave now, my Ladies and my Lord."

Lady Denys bowed deeply, Ser Gaheris less so. The Knight spoke upon rising, "Remember to stay safe in these troubled times, my Lady Baratheon."

Once the Tyrells had said their farewells Tamsyn moved forwards half a step. "Farewell Lady Baratheon. I hope you enjoy the rest of the festivities." As Tamsyn spoke she once again dipped into a curtsy. She had lost track of how many times she had had to do this today, let alone since she had arrived in the capital. She was looking forward to returning to Greyshield where she had to pay respect to no one. Straightening up she watched as Taria walked away from the strange ensemble of nobles and whores, waiting for her to be out of earshot before she spoke once more.

"I am surprised to hear that you favour House Yronwood so strongly Ser. Many of my fellow lord are under the impression that you would prefer House Dayne to reap the benefits of this conflict."

"Do your fellow Lords talk about me often, Lady of the Shield? Their impressions of me, my preferences." The Knight's perpetual smile dissipated, his gaze frigid.

"Only when we think there is something worth talking about." Gaheris' glower was met by a impassive look of Tamsyn's own. "It is useful for us to know what Highgarden might ask of us before it is asked, so when we come by such information we make sure that other receive it too. It benefits us all to make sure that you and your family are satisfied with our service."

Gaheris nodded, as if considering her answer, and the disapproving stare of Lady Denys as well, "The Yronwoods can rot. So long as Queen Roslyn lives, it is true that it reflects poorly on us for the murderers to grasp the ascendancy. All the same, they can be used, they can be leveraged. The same goes for House Manwoody, as well as House Dayne."

The Knight left the rest unspoken.

"Very well, I shall trust in your expertise in such matters Ser. As ever, I and Greyshield will be ready to serve you in whatever way you need. That being said, if there is nothing else you wish from me then I will take my leave." Tamsyn gestured to the colourfully dressed whores who were wearing faces of barely concealed boredom. "Your time is an expensive commodity today and I would hate for you to waste it."

"What a tragedy it would be." Lady Denys added, with more than a little touch of scathing. "May we speak again soon, cousin."

"I look forward to it. Keep well, it has been good to see you again."

"Farewell, Lady Tamsyn." The Scarred Knight of Highgarden spoke slowly, almost ponderously, ever in thought.​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
[color= #e60000]Avicea and the mystery sender[/color]
Collaboration between @Kitti and @Jorick

The man with a red length of cloth wound around his neck, like a scarf that was too short to properly do the job, spotted Avicea only a moment after she saw him. He raised a hand and beckoned her over, gesturing to the seat across the table from himself. His appearance was nothing impressive: black hair and blue eyes, and his cheeks had a slightly gaunt cast to them that looked all the more sunken compared to his strong jawline. His clothing, aside from the red cloth, was drab and brown and well-worn just like most everyone else in the room. The tavern was bustling, but with so many on the move and others standing crowding around a table in one corner of the room gambling with dice there were plenty of open seats. The man's table was near the center of the room, halfway between the entry and the back wall but closer to the plain and stained wall to the left than the bar that took up the right end of the large room.

He did not stare or call out to Avicea after waving her over. Instead he casually returned his attention to his tankard, taking a long swig of something that made him grimace as he set it down again, and surveyed the room without taking any apparent interest in its occupants. He looked perfectly at ease and content to sit there for hours yet, and if not for the brief acknowledgement it would have been easy to think he hadn't noticed Avicea's presence at all.
In contrast to the man's demeanour, which was so self-assured the he seemed entirely at home amidst the noise and carousing, Avicea had to fight back a swell of uncertainty. Appearing too nervous, however, would only draw more attention to herself, this she knew. With that in mind, she kept her chin level, despite the desire to tilt it upward in defiance of her own uncertainty while at the same time swaying her posture a little backward.

Before walking over to him, she paused a moment to give the surroundings another look, one less harried and taken with greater measure. Of the three men who accompanied her inside, she waved one away to nurse a drink at the bar. Taking a deep breath, Avicea let a smile like warm honey pull the corners of her mouth and wound through the room. Before reaching the table, however, she detoured to the bar and fished a few coins from the layers of her dress in exchange for a tankard herself.

Filled with determination, the hum of excitement was hard to ignore, even knowing full well the danger she was dancing alongside. The letter could be her undoing and yet she felt more alive than she had in days, cooped up inside the inn with her brothers.

With an ale for herself at last in hand, she slid down across from the man at the table, elbows propped on either side of her drink.

[color= #e60000]"Waiting for someone?"[/color]

The man smiled, broad and accompanied by a twinkle of merriment in his eyes. "Indeed, I was. Do you often approach strange men in taverns so brazenly? Be careful, else people might start spreading nasty rumors." The good humor on his face was echoed in the light and joking tone of his voice. His eyes flicked away from hers, toward one of her guards that were hovering nearby and then over to the other, before returning. "Do you trust your friends? I wouldn't want to speak plainly of things you prefer kept in the shadows."

The man's reply brought Avicea back down from her cloud of intrigue and she bit her lip, realising almost as though waking from a dream that this was perhaps over her head. Thoughts of scurrying back like a mouse retreating into a hole steeled her resolve about what she was doing, however, almost in immediate reply to her thoughts and she smiled again.

[color= #e60000]"Only the handsome ones, and only when they send such nice letters with my chamber ladies,"[/color] she took a drink from her tankard, considering the man's caution. While it was true that they would have an interesting tale or two to tell if they chose to at this point, though she had brought the selected men purposefully because she felt them most likely to hold their tongues, it was no crime to enjoy rubbing elbows with drunken bakers and boathands. More sensitive information, though...

She turned her head, eyes flicking from one face to the next and the fingers of her right hand now fussing and smoothing the folds of her skirts. She lifted it to wave them back a pace before returning it to fret with the coarse fabric. Her expression, though, didn't waver now that she had made up her mind to stay the course.

[color= #e60000]"Secrets are better between two, anyway."[/color]

"They most certainly are." The man took another long drink from his tankard, then leaned forward with his chin resting on his fist, elbow propped up on the table. "Before we get to the secrets, though, I realize I have you at a something of a disadvantage. I know quite a lot about you, but you know nothing about me. As much as I enjoy the mystique, it's certainly the wrong way to start a professional relationship."

One of the serving wenches came by the table and the man smiled and thanked her as she swapped his empty tankard out for a full one, brimming with a golden-brown liquid. Once she was gone, he returned his attention to Avicea. "My name is Sam. Sam Storm, once a lowly bastard of the Stormlands risen to the inimitable heights of arranging meetings in Flea Bottom taverns." His teeth showed briefly as he accompanied the sarcasm with a quick grin.

"I've been in the business of secrets for many years now, and the fact that you've likely never heard of me before should be taken as a sign of my talents in this field. Before I get to that, though, I have a question. What do you seek to accomplish with your life?" He held a faint smile on his face, eyebrows raised in silent expectation, but neither his tone nor his eyes gave any sign of this being anything but a serious question.

Though Avicea was taking drinks from her tankard, they were on the small side and it seemed as much to give her something to do as to enjoy - though it was something on an acquired taste that she had not yet acquired, another reason for the small sips.

Almost taken aback by the forthrightness of the man, she was pleasantly surprised by his decision to begin by putting them on more equal footing. She racked her brain trying to scan it for any possible mention of a Sam Storm but the name could have been that of any number of the myriad Stormlands bastards and she had to concede that she had not heard anything of great enough note to set him apart.

The unexpected quip in his introduction earned him a chortle but it was short-lived. While she didn't know what he knew about her exactly, his question seemed to cut right to her core, a part of her that she kept hidden behind ladylike demurity and poise. The standard sort of answer, the one that came readily forth when posed similar questions by other stiff nobles, felt hollow to give when he had extended a hand, so to speak.

[color= #e60000]"I don't expect that you'd believe me if I told you the usual about how I want to marry a noble knight and spend all the rest of my days producing someone's heirs?" [/color] She smiled, taking a drink and managing to only grimace a little.

[color= #e60000]"I'd be interested to know more about you, but whatever rapport we build must go both ways." [/color] She paused to think, reminding herself of the answer. [color= #e60000]"I want to hunt those things that wait in the shadows outside the door. I can only do so much to protect what I care about in this world and I'm afraid The Seven didn't make this body for swinging swords." [/color]

"I see." Sam drummed the fingers on his free hand on the table for a few seconds, silently looking at Avicea without his expression changing at all from when he'd asked the question. "I must admit I'm surprised. I would have laughed at the nonsense about the knight, but I expected something... less mundane than protecting loved ones. We might not be able to work together after all."

He leaned back in his chair and took another swig of his drink. Where before his voice had been light and amused, now his voice turned serious. "But perhaps you'll surprise me again. You want to know more about me? Try this, then. What I seek to accomplish with my life is a radical change to the way society operates. I wish to see a man's skills and character count for more than his name and his blood. The fact that a monster can hold the throne and its attendant power by right of blood alone repulses me, and so I wish to see the world in which the noble monsters are held accountable to the common man."

One side of Sam's mouth lifted in a slow smirk, and the playfulness returned to his voice. "If that idea detests you, I suggest you finish your drink and be on your way. If, however, you see the merit in my lofty goals, then I would be happy to answer a question of yours in turn. I like to play fair with my friends." His smile widened just enough to show a hint of teeth, but it was quickly obscured by his tankard.

Having come expecting someone less frank and fully prepared to encounter a snake in the grass who knew neither friend nor foe, only ambition, Avicea couldn't have said that she was any less surprised than her new drinking partner by the turns that the conversation had taken. It was a far cry from how she had envisioned this evening going, but strangely the better for it.

She regarded him with a long look, unabashedly taking his measure now, playfulness absent from her expression. She had been ready to deal with someone above her skill who sought wealth, perhaps, or power but a man who sought to remake the world... that was something infinitely more interesting.

She leaned forward toward him, gaze sharp. The only question running through her mind was the one that she gave voice to, not wholly incredulous but hardly daring to believe that she he had said such a thing, made a statement that resonated somewhere deep within her.

[color= #e60000]"Is what you say true?" [/color]

She was looking at him as though seeing him for the first time and her superficial interest from before had now given way to a genuine curiosity. The question might as well have been rhetorical, she didn't wait for his reply.

[color= #e60000]"I have spent my life living in chains shaped by men who forged them so long ago that their names have been lost to memory. Children are merely pawns to be used from before they make their first cry. And the queen who sits atop it all plays the pieces, discarding them as they displease her." [/color] It was hard to keep the tremble from her voice as memories flashed alongside her words, thoughts of laying bleeding on a floor blended together like paint running in rain with images of tears in her mother's eyes.

[color= #e60000]"You must have thought that I could serve this cause in some way, to bring me here and reveal your grand plans. What were you hoping to find in me?" [/color]

"Every word of it is true." Sam leaned forward again, this time with his fingers interlaced and his hands resting on the table. "I see I underestimated you and your protective desires. My apologies. I should have guessed that it was indeed more than simply wishing to cling to your gold and power."

Sam looked down into his tankard and swirled the contents around, but he didn't take another drink. "Truth be told, I had low hopes for this meeting. I thought that it would have to end in a... less than amicable manner. All the people in the world can be split into two camps in my eyes: allies and enemies." His eyes lifted to meet her gaze again, and he was all seriousness once more. He reached up to grab the red cloth wound around his neck and pulled it loose, then tossed it on the floor and pointedly looked off to the side at a nearby table. A moment later, a group of half a dozen burly men sitting at that very table abruptly stood and headed for the door, leaving their drinks unfinished and two plates of food only half eaten.

"It is so rare to find potential allies, especially of your background. One can never be too cautious when revealing dangerous secrets. I trust you understand the implication, and I hope you will not hold it against me." Sam's voice turned jovial once more as he continued. "My hope for this meeting was very simple: that you would prove amenable to my vision for the world, and that we could come to a reciprocal arrangement regarding your interesting hobby that caught my attention. You provide me with information, and I give you whatever your heart desires. A more than fair trade, no?"

Though she had pressed forward the conversation, Avicea still wavered a little about whether that was what she truly wanted - to convince this Sam Storm that she was an ally worth having.

It was, she reasoned, too late to consider taking it back as she watched the men who had been lying in wait file out as Sam gave what was evidently their cue. They looked rough, just the sort of men to win fights in dirty taverns in Flea Bottom, and she was glad that it had not come to blows. She trusted that the men brought along would have fought faithfully but they would have been outnumbered and even if that were not the case, likely more than one would have suffered for her account.

She watched Sam with mixed emotion, curiosity and concern blended into one with hints of so much else. A dangerous man, and one not above eliminating anyone who chose not to work alongside his cause and yet... also the first person who had given voice to thoughts she lay alone with in bed at night. She felt like a fly at that moment, drawn into a spider's web. She had so little control at this moment and she knew it but at the same time, she couldn't help but wonder how unwilling she was to be a part of these machinations.

[color= #e60000]"If this tower of excess comes tumbling down, what will happen to those caught below? You interest me more than you should know, Sam Storm, but I think you knew that already. I only fear for those who were only being used themselves and what may happen to them." [/color]

This proposal held a wildly unspecific reward on the line for things much more tangible that crossed her thoughts. However, if her suspicions were correct, this was a man who had a great many spiders whispering into his ear already from across the Seven Kingdoms already and she couldn't help but wonder how much he was expecting to receive in return.

"Ideally it shall be only those who reside atop the tower who come to any harm. But I admit, even my idealism only stretches so far." Sam swirled his drink in his tankard once more and watched the liquid for a moment before continuing. "Some who fight alongside me will fall in this battle of shadows and words. I may fall, but others will pick up the banner and keep going. Know this, though: I speak of far more than a simple change of masters. If you know your history of Westeros and beyond, you've no doubt heard of times in which a coup was followed by the new ruler culling allies they no longer needed, and that would indeed be worth worrying about if I sought to follow in their footsteps. What I hope to build is a world with no absolute rulers, in which allies are forever required and the common people are the ones who hold the lion's share of the power. I cannot make any promises for what might happen afterward."

He finally took another small drink of his ale, then fixed Avicea with a stare and a genial smile. "I was not speaking figuratively about giving you whatever your heart desires, just in case that was not clear. Name your desire, be it material goods or a service performed, and I will see it done. I hope this could have passed unsaid, but nothing said here will pass my lips to another's ear, and you can take comfort in knowing that I've told you more than enough to allow you to get me sent to the headsman's block within a fortnight. A tenuous bond of trust, to be sure, but I seek to strengthen it. I would not be so foolish as to ask for your service with only promise of payment. Name your desire and I can show you the worth of becoming my ally."

Sam Storm did not even attempt conceal that he could not assure her that harm would not befall those simply caught in the wreckage of an old system as it was torn down. For some, this might have been intimidating but the candour won him additional favour from Avicea, though the prospect was still of great concern to her. It would have been idealistic and naïve to think that there could be some definitive moral delineation between those who would suffer and those who would not but she had resigned herself to the fact that absolute morality was one of many lies about the world that were taught to children. Instead of remarking further on this point, she sighed into her drink and took another mouthful with an accompanying quirk of her lips as she fought back a grimace.

With the tip of her index finger, Avicea traced the rim of her mug as Sam repeated the deal in detail and spoke of their fledgling trust. Perhaps it was the intoxicating mixture of adrenaline and alcohol humming through her thoughts but she was thus far more inclined to believe in this man than she could have ever imagined when she set out earlier in the evening. She considered this, and him. If he was who she now thought, it was not so far-fetched to believe that this was exactly his intention.

Whether it was by purpose or not that she felt inclined to give him her trust for the time being, it didn't change the fact that this was a precipice from which she had already stepped. The decision that faced her was now how to handle the fall and, with any luck, survive the experience.

The question that he posed, however, was a difficult one and she had been toying it around her thoughts all the while as she thought, rather morbidly, about falling from cliffs. What was it that her heart truly desired? Close to the truth as it may be, it would be a fool who entered into a dangerous enterprise as this with no need to reward me, the cause is reward enough even though the cause itself was one dear to her.

[color= #e60000]"I will trust in you both that I will not run afoul of a group of men mysteriously loitering in an alley in Flea Bottom, nor be whisked away never to return by the Master of Laws for this conversation and you have my own word that if you end up without your head by tomorrow it won't be from my lips." [/color] The words were serious, but her tone was teasing once more.

[color= #e60000]"My heart's desire... you might think it absurd but I had never really considered what I might want enough to call it my heart's desire. If it's the same to you, I might get back to you on that on some less eventful day. For now, my greatest request of you is, if at all possible, to shield my brothers. It would be better to have a mysterious accident than have them turned out and branded as traitors on my behalf." [/color]

She finished the last of her drink, glancing around the room again, eyes flicking briefly over each of her guards. The meeting had been informative and she would have discussed details for hours but the longer they sat talking, the more chances there were for something, anything to happen.

"Well then, I suggest you take time to think and decide what you would like. You'll receive a parcel soon with instructions on how to contact me." Sam took a large swig from his tankard and leaned back in his chair after he set it down. "I can assure you that you'll come to no harm by me or my associates. I have all the reason in the world to hope the Master of Laws never learns of this conversation, so he shall not hear of it from me either. I've no interest in harming your brothers, and I'll do what I can to see both them and yourself protected should any other nefarious lurkers in the shadows set their eyes on your house. As callous as I may seem, I do look out for my allies and their best interests when I can."

Sam fished some coins out of his pocket and laid them on the table near his tankard, then waved to get the attention of one of the women serving tables. Before she arrived, he glanced at Avicea and gave her a brief smile. "It was a pleasure meeting you, even in such tense circumstances. You should get back before your brothers miss you and wonder where you've gone."
Though trusting too much was folly, Avicea at least did not have to suspend her disbelief to believe that Sam Storm was telling the truth about not wanting the Master of Laws peeking into these affairs any more than she did. His reassurance regarding looking out for her safety, and that of her brothers, was warming. For the time, it did not seem as though it would be unappealing for her to do the same in return and keep her ear to the ground for his sake as well.

Having paid already, Avicea nodded agreement took to her feet. The men who had accompanied her in were at once alert, ready to move.

[color= #e60000]"This meeting has been more interesting than I could have imagined. I'll take my leave and may the rain wash away your footsteps in the meantime." [/color]

Close to the door, Avicea held up her hand to a man seated just inside it, a smile on her face. His posture eased and he hastily tucked a bottle deep into his pockets, its curious white contents visible for a brief moment in the dim light.

[color= #e60000]"Sometimes I worry about what your help will do to me if I ever need it, Rabbit,"[/color] Avicea murmured to him and he laughed before slipping outside ahead of her into the dark.

Sibling Matchmaking
A collab between @Pahn and @Kitti, with side characters in need of a little romance

"It does not help a man looking to marry if he spends all his time indulging in complimentary whores, Perryn!"

While he usually managed to keep his calm, there was something about arguing with one's younger brother that could bring a dragon from a lamb. The tips of his ears had gone ruddy at this point and his hands were trembling ever so slightly.

"Not whoring around doesn't seem to be doing much for you either way."

While he didn't mirror the barely restrained fury of his older brother and it might not have been obvious to most, the fact that Perryn was running out of patience as well was clearly visible to his elder brother and it depleted his mood further to know, just know, that Searle could tell he was upset.

The light clicking of a door registered so faintly in Perryn's mind that it was forgotten as soon as he moved his gaze back to his brother. All he had wanted was to go and enjoy his evening, to celebrate despite his ignominious loss and make merry. The women were a pleasant temptation in and of themselves but not his main purpose. He wanted to be seen, wanted there to be whispers about him carousing with beautiful women the night long rather than the occasional scrap he heard here about the unwed trio spending all their time with one another. He had just as much interest in bringing a beautiful woman, or two, or maybe three... just as much interest in it as any other red-blooded man.

"Why can't you just understand?"

The words didn't come from Perryn but Searle and Perryn felt his blood pressure rising. That was his line! He didn't know why Searle didn't understand his position. He opened his mouth to speak but didn't at once know what to say and instead stood, gaping like a fish and feeling all the world like a fool.

"I need a damned drink," he brushed past Searle but to his surprise, he felt the strong clap of a hand on his shoulder. He whirled, brows drawn tightly together, to face his brother again but found himself eye to eye with a softened expression.

"I want what is best for you, for all of us. I don't want to be your enemy, Perr."

Damned if his stuffed ass of a brother didn't know what to say to suffocate the fire that had been burning just moments before. Perryn huffed air out his nose, unsure what to say. Of course they should use their time here, surrounded by every fine family and their daughters, to shake the requisite number of hands. He just couldn't stand the thought of spending all his time nodding along as some dainty told him the uptenth story about dropping her fork at dinner.

"You can come if you want," he decided at last, tone begrudging. Without another word, he opened wide the door and watched as Searle stepped through it as though he'd been waiting. Perryn rolled his eyes, but couldn't have said that the company was unwelcome.

"Do you think we should fetch Avi?" Searle wondered, pausing to look back into the room. His expression clouded, as though just remembering that she was along on this trip as well and very likely heard them bickering.

"It'll be fine, I doubt she'll even notice we've gone. She'll be getting into bed or stitching that bit she's been working on anyway." Perryn closed the door before Searle could raise any objections and began down the stairs, hearing the thump behind him that let him know that his brother was just behind.

The air outside the rooms might not have been as fresh as it was in Castamere, and Perryn would argue that no air could compare to the sweet breeze washing over the cliffs, but it was a good deal better than the stuffiness in their quarters. He glanced around the street, trying to decide where to go and was sidetracked almost at once by a charming maid with ample cleavage selling spits of roast pigeon.

"Shouldn't we be waiting for Simon?" Catelyn Frey walked behind her twin sister, skirts held up with one hand to avoid dirtying them on the filthy street while she covered her mouth and nose with the other. The twins had escaped their chambers, leaving behind their handmaids and their snoring septa.

"Ha! Cate, he'll be busy getting all up Lady Tully's skirts, he probably already forgot about us." Janys flashed her a silly smile, making the other girl laugh. Together they walked through the nicest section of King's Landing, their eyes wide and their stomachs growling. "We have to eat, you know! And that inn has nothing better than old bread and cold soup."

"Janys, look!" She grabbed her sister's arm and they stopped dead in their stroll, their eyes falling on two men stepping out of an inn. Despite not having left the Twins much, the sisters immediately recognized those two men. Well, almost. "They look like lords. Not too old and crumby, and not knights or guards!"

One look at each other's grin and they made their way towards the two men. Janys recognized one of them from the melee, he still looked a little banged up, and the other man looked similar enough to be his brother. They patted down their skirts and ran their fingers through each other's hair, fixing their dos, and walked a lot more gracefully towards them.

"My lord! I believe I saw you in the melee earlier today? How brave of you to have participated, to honour our Queen!" Janys wrapped her arm around Catelyn's and smiled with all the charm she could muster. Neither of them had any experience with flirting but who didn't like a little bit of praise?

The speed with which Perryn had managed to find both a lady to admire and food to shove in his face was, if nothing else, impressive. Searle couldn't even bring disapproval to surface on his features, amused as he was by his brother's unfailing ability to find both.

Perryn was eagerly handing coin to the woman, the scent of roast meat causing him him to salivate in anticipation, when he heard fast footsteps and a titter of girls.

With his prize in hand, he turned just in time to see the Frey girls approaching, though he hardly recognized them. His sister might have known, clever as she was with remembering names and faces, but he could only say that they looked fine and smelled too nice to be peasants.

The girls had chosen well in the target of their admiration and a grin split Perryn's face from ear to ear at their words. He had been mistaken at first, they didn't just look fine, they were quite beautiful, weren't they? His roast pigeon was all but forgotten.

"There's nothing quite like matching swords with other men, testing their strength and mettle while putting my own skills to the test," he began grandly, ignoring the noise that sounded uncannily like a snort from behind him.

"There were many not represented but House Reyne stands proud." He was proud but Perryn wasn't willing to bet that the ladies were completely aware of who they were and was more interested in continuing the conversation than putting them to a test of memory when such a thing could so easily be avoided by giving them the information up front.

"You can call me Perryn if you like but only if you two lovely flowers tell me what to call you." Another noise, this one disgruntled. Perryn gestured with the pigeon, "But two answers for two, I'll tell you that this rogueish lad with me is my brother, Searle."

Janys squeezed her sister's arm and continued smiling pleasantly. She mentally praised herself for remembering Lord Reyne from the melee; all men loved compliments.

"How kind of you, my lord. Words as sharp as your sword, I see!" She gave him a polite curtsy, forcing Catelyn down with her.

"Perryn and Searle Reyne? I had heard you and your sister Ava--... Lady Reyne were near inseparable." Catelyn's smile was less inviting than her sister's, but all the same -- she couldn't believe their chance. The Reynes of Castamere were filthy rich and bachelors. Their father had warned them against marrying for status rather than for heart, but if this prospect was made available to them... "I'm Catelyn and this is my twin sister, Janys."

"Very pleased to meet you, my lords. My word, this roast pigeon smells absolutely divine. Our diet at the Twins consists mostly of fish, you see. I had hoped to taste the various delicacies offered by the people here." Janys's eyes were fixed on Perryn, but Catelyn was leaning to the side, trying to catch a look of the other brother.

"Will you be participating in the joust?" Catelyn wasn't looking at Perryn as she spoke, despite the light tugging coming from Janys. She cast her sister a quick look of annoyance before straightening up, arm still hooked together.

The mention of Avi brought down Perryn's braggadocio ever so slightly, a twinge of shame as he remembered that they had only planned to be gone a short while and left her up in her room. The mention of food, however, recovered his spirits and he was cheered to remember the pigeon that he'd just purchased.

"Catelyn and Janys, it must be that you've been kept a secret from prying eyes lest someone snatch away what must be the jewels which sit atop each of the Twins." Perryn gave them both a bright smile, wondering whether it would be impolite to start eating now.

"If you haven't had any of the candied almonds, you've been living a half life indeed." He looked the street up and down but couldn't spot any carts that seemed to be selling them. He remembered affectionately how eager Avicea had been to have them. To be the one to give them that first sweet bite would be a treat in and of itself.

"Oh, the joust. Well if there's a lady's favor on the line..."

Before he could continue, Searle stepped forward, now on even footing with his brother and bearing a far more discerning expression. He knew Perryn would have been happy to take them across the entire city in search of new things for them to try but he couldn't shake a particular curiosity.

"How did it come to be that two such fine ladies as yourselves are out on your own at this time?"

While Janys covered her smiling face gracefully at Perryn's compliment, Catelyn had to bite the inside of her cheeks to prevent herself from rolling her eyes. They finally got a clearer view of the brother, Searle.

"We were waiting for our lord brother, Simon, but he is busy elsewhere. We promised our guards and Septa Arwin we wouldn't stroll too far, and stay away from Flea Bottom and other unsavoury places." Catelyn lifted her chin, but she knew very well that King's Landing was a dangerous place for a pair of maidens like themselves, but they couldn't have stayed all evening waiting and starving.

"We will no longer be on our own if the lords Reyne accompany us. We promise we'll be accommodating." Janys took a few steps forward, dragging Catelyn with her. "I would love some candied almonds, my lord. As long as, like my sister said, we remain not too far from our inn."

Though the situation sounded questionable on a number of details, Searle would have been blind to miss that the girls would likely be better off having himself and Perryn to accompany them and see to it that nothing befell a pair of young ladies out on their own. The expression on his face softened and Perryn knew at once that his brother had seen the reason to this.

"In that case, it would be our honor if you would allow us to be your escorts for the evening," Searle relented, bowing politely to the Frey sisters and extending his arm. His thoughts seemed elsewhere but his accommodating manners were so ingrained that he likely could have instructed the girls in the proper address and closing of a letter while still mulling over whatever it was that had him so distracted.

Though wilful, Perryn was not so foolish as to have pushed his brother into accompanying the girls, especially in light of their already tenuous accord for the evening. Besides, he was confident that Searle would agree after hearing what Catelyn and Janys had to say.

Grinning, Perryn made quick work of his own bow and held his arm out, though unlike Searle, who had managed to address them equally, he had an unmistakable bend toward inviting Janys to pair with him.

"I think that I recall seeing a man selling almonds just over this way a handful of hours ago. Luck willing, he'll still be there. Or, wait, you said that you were looking for something to eat as well? There was a man with oat rolls stuffed with sour cherry just this way..."

While Janys eagerly took hold of Lord Perryn's arm, Catelyn politely placed her hand on Lord Searle's. The two young women may have been almost identical in appearance save for their outfits, they could not have been more different in personality.

"We should not stray away for too long, sister. Our Lord brother will likely be back soon." Catelyn followed regardless, casting a last look at their inn as she bit her lip.

"This all sounds delicious, my lord." Janys smiled sweetly at Perryn. "As for the joust, I would not dare solicit participation for my favour. It is such a risky affair, what with all those valiant men who died today..." The Frey lady copied her sister's reaction and bit her lip, hesitant about whether she had hurt Lord Perryn's pride. "Perhaps, though - in the morrow, we could arrange to have our seats closer. The Queen has the same seats reserved for the good lords and ladies of Westeros."

They were barely out of view of their inn when someone familiar called after them. Catelyn cast a worried look at Janys, who made a face to ignore him. Unable to help herself, she let go of Lord Searle's arm and turned around hurried, her eyes falling on their older brother.

"Janys, Catelyn! Septa Arwin said you slipped out just as she was falling asl--" Simon Frey stopped mid-word as his own eyes fell on the two men. He recognized them and offered a polite bow. "Lords Reyne, what a pleasure. You fought gallantly in the melee, Perryn." He addressed them with a courteous smile, but once Catelyn made it to his side, Simon raised his eyebrows at Janys.

"But my dear brother, we were just about to taste some specialties like candied almonds and sour cherry oat rolls and..." She gave him a pouty look, but slowly let go of Lord Perryn's arm. "I hope we can meet again tomorrow, yes? At the joust?" Her pale hazel eyes looked feverishly at Perryn's, walking backwards until she was standing with Simon and Catelyn.

"I don't see why not. My lords?" Simon placed his arms on his sisters' shoulders, towering over them by almost a foot. An understanding smile had appeared on his face - it was rather difficult to deny his sister's request for a public rendez-vous with a suitable and bachelor lord.

Just as the twin sisters differed wildly from one another, so did their escorting counterparts. Perryn was pleased that Janys had gone for what had been, in his opinion, a subtle hint and the amicable grin that lit his face reflected good-will and enthusiasm as he reconsidered his decision earlier in the day to not partake in the joust. His shoulder was still bruised from the tournament but by tomorrow he felt confident in saying it would be little more than a bump.

The arrival of the girls' brother surprised both brothers Reyne, though their feelings on the matter were quite at odds. Perryn's crestfallen expression would flatter Janys but the candied almonds, or lack-thereof, was more likely the main cause of his disappointment. Searle, on the other hand, looked relieved to be able to pass the girls off onto a suitable guardian.

The fiery expression on Janys's face, coupled with her suggestion, spread a warmth from the corner of his mouth to the glimmer in his eye. A quick glance at his brother's face and he surprised at least Perryn by answering first.

"It would be a delight to be able to speak with the Ladies Frey again tomorrow, would it not, Perryn?"

Perryn blinked with surprise for a fraction of a second before regaining his composure. His mind lept instantly to how they would smile if he were to bring them packets of the sweets tomorrow as a surprise.

"Yes, what a marvellous idea," Perryn was trying to mute his enthusiasm but failing. He had at least remembered that he was holding the roast pigeon this time and did not swing it around.

"Until tomorrow, then?" Searle dipped into a short bow for the three siblings before him, recognizing Simon's harried manner as an older brother trying to gather all his wandering younger siblings. There was no need for tarrying goodbyes when they would meet again the next day anyway.