The Legend of Heroes II: Trials by the Light OOC

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh... @Winter. Few problems with your latest IC. First of all it's barely been a little over 5 hours since your last post, you shouldn't be posting another IC so soon after your last; we strive to have it been once per day so as to prevent speed posting and making it become overly difficult for people to read and keep up to date with. You didn't need to post again so soon.

Secondly, you shouldn't (and this goes for everyone as well) be detailing your character's backstory via lengthy flashbacks or otherwise yet in the IC. The second part of the rp's only just begun and it's much, much, much too soon for any of the characters to be doing so, especially when the focus of the current chapter's storyline isn't dependant on it. I can tell you're excited for the rp but patience is a virtue so please exercise it!

Thirdly, even within a flashback I'd prefer for characters to not be exercising any lethality towards anybody else. This clashes with what I'm building with the tonal atmosphere of the rp where characters do not pursue a killing of an opponent. Even if it was within a war, I don't want to see it. I could have been open to it depending on whether or not I was asked prior but even then stuff like this is still much too soon to be detailing.

Lastly... you didn't call the posting of this either. o.o I don't know what's been going on today but it's been weird? You called a post early this morning and then didn't post until ten hours later - when calling a post people should be posting their IC within the next hour, so as to allow everyone else to not post during that time as well as not keep everybody waiting. And when you did eventually make your post for the day you didn't call it.

I would honestly like for you to remove the contents of that flashback from your post and to bear in mind the general rules and stipulations regarding to IC posting and OOC calling, please.

Jam you like to play tabletop rpgs a lot, right? Have you ever played Shadowrun before? Cus that looks like a cool cyberpunk esque game I'd like to try sometime. (Btw have you ever played Vampire: The Masquerade? I joined that a few sessions ago and it's absolutely hilarious)
I have never played Shadowrun, but I know a couple veterans and it sounds just baller as fuck lemme tell you. And I HAVE played Vampire: The Masquerade, although currently I'm playing its companion WoD Changeling: the Lost! All of the player's guides are trying so hard to be grimdark, it's terrific. Re: you and Warden, are you in the same VtM session?

Uh... @Winter. Few problems with your latest IC. First of all it's barely been a little over 5 hours since your last post, you shouldn't be posting another IC so soon after your last; we strive to have it been once per day so as to prevent speed posting and making it become overly difficult for people to read and keep up to date with. You didn't need to post again so soon.

Secondly, you shouldn't (and this goes for everyone as well) be detailing your character's backstory via lengthy flashbacks or otherwise yet in the IC. The second part of the rp's only just begun and it's much, much, much too soon for any of the characters to be doing so, especially when the focus of the current chapter's storyline isn't dependant on it. I can tell you're excited for the rp but patience is a virtue so please exercise it!

Thirdly, even within a flashback I'd prefer for characters to not be exercising any lethality towards anybody else. This clashes with what I'm building with the tonal atmosphere of the rp where characters do not pursue a killing of an opponent. Even if it was within a war, I don't want to see it. I could have been open to it depending on whether or not I was asked prior but even then stuff like this is still much too soon to be detailing.

Lastly... you didn't call the posting of this either. o.o I don't know what's been going on today but it's been weird? You called a post early this morning and then didn't post until ten hours later - when calling a post people should be posting their IC within the next hour, so as to allow everyone else to not post during that time as well as not keep everybody waiting. And when you did eventually make your post for the day you didn't call it.

I would honestly like for you to remove the contents of that flashback from your post and to bear in mind the general rules and stipulations regarding to IC posting and OOC calling, please.

In your own rules it says a post a day minimum. I had no idea it was a post a day maximum. Also the flashback isn't lengthy, it's a small vague segment of an experience that related to a question asked during an interaction. The character death is a character that relates to my character, it's not an opponent. I also didn't call because last time I called, posts came in before I got mine up anyway, which Is why I didn't post it in the end and chose to post latter. I'll remove the post but I'm taking a small break from this for a day, between this and the conversations we've had over PM, I'm very frustrated.

Also, sorry for the double comments: I wouldn't have known a lot of these rules if Katherine hadn't mentioned them to me in-person or via casual text, because they aren't described to beginners or made explicit to fellas new to iwakuroleplay (particularly killing rules and calling posts). With that in mind, please try to be patient with the new folks...

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Warden
Oof, sorry there's so much concern for the RP when we've just kicked it off. :( I'll try to see if I can help-

Pach's RP runs quite differently from most other RPs. His are built to last a long time - like... a long time - the first part took about three years to complete. He wants consistency & frequent posting, but not speed posting, since that often leads to the demise of a lot of other RPs that try to get everything out in the open right away. This is how we got three years into part one and its completion (even if I was missing for the last 2-3 months lol sorry friends). So this part is expected to be the same. :) That being said, there's plenty of time to draw out your character's backstories and history for everyone. So I hope this helps explain why Pach said the flashbacks are a bit too soon ^^;

The rules are all right here, listed in bullet points. (Found on page one of this thread/ooc.) 4/5 posts a week minimum, leaning towards 5x, and trying to post within one hour of "calling." I generally call while I'm still reading so no one else writes anything while my sluggish eyes try to catch up hahaha. Hope this helps clarify some things! That being said, I hope I didn't contribute to your frustration, Winter - I posted earlier because you called around midnight my time but your post wasn't up when I woke up five hours after that, so I assumed you either fell asleep or stopped working on it. Hopefully things will be clearer communication-wise in the OOC!

Pach's also trying to break the typical gamey stigma of killings being so abundant in a story, with how easy it is for protagonists to be okay killing bandits/flocks of people with no question of morality. So the guild system in this RP completely bans manslaughter. I haven't read any posts since my last, so I'm not sure how well this applies to any of the recent IC posts, but I hope this helps clarify some things!

Jam & Winter, if either of you have any concerns with how the RP runs specifically, this is a great time to be asking. We're all at the opening stages right now, so there's nothing that can't be ironed out. :)
Sorry for the tl;dr - just trying to help if I can :)

I'm absolutely patient with you newbies. I'm here to help ease you in as best I can. :0 However -

I did mention here about how the rules listed prior were a copy paste of those from Part 1 and that posting circumstances had changed since then to 4/5 posts a week, preferably 5. I'll admit I could have clarified it better to state one post a day maximum however I would have thought that'd have been obvious that players shouldn't need to speedpost, because I also mentioned about how peoples' post length should not be so long because of how everyone in the rp will be needing to read it.

In the same post I also mentioned the need for players to call their IC posts.

And with regards to characters' killing and general lethality, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it to both of you guys via pm sometime before.

Hey Winter and Jam,

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to throw in my two cents here as well. I know it says "one post per day minimum" but yeah, that is pretty confusing. Don't worry it's not like we're mad or anything that you posted twice today, it's the first week and it was kinda ambiguous. But just know that going forward, we really only post once per day per character. Sometimes Pach posts twice per day or something, but that's usually when he's controlling many characters at once in different scenes from each other!

Second, the TONE thing. God, do I know the tone thing. It can be really hard to manage, and I'll be the first to admit, Pach and I nearly came to blows in Part One over the tone. It was during my Co-GM chapter, and I really, really wanted to take us to a very dark place, and was frustrated when Pach wouldn't let me. And you know what? He was right. I might have fought with him and even took a pretty significant break from the RP because of it, but no one here knows the tone better than Pach. And sometimes we struggle with it, but please don't take it personally. It's okay to be frustrated, but we've all been there! You'll get the hang of things eventually. Each story is a new beast, and we all struggle at times!

Lastly, flashbacks are a convention of the story (and you might have seen this a bit in Part 1, if you followed it) but we really don't do too much character flashblacks. We just like to dole that out slowly, and it's always fun to see how the other characters react to it. When we keep it all in the characters head, though, its not as impactful. So let's save the good stuff for when we can milk it for all it's worth!

Hope that helps! :)

I'm absolutely patient with you newbies. I'm here to help ease you in as best I can. :0 However -

I did mention here about how the rules listed prior were a copy paste of those from Part 1 and that posting circumstances had changed since then to 4/5 posts a week, preferably 5. I'll admit I could have clarified it better to state one post a day maximum however I would have thought that'd have been obvious that players shouldn't need to speedpost, because I also mentioned about how peoples' post length should not be so long because of how everyone in the rp will be needing to read it.

In the same post I also mentioned the need for players to call their IC posts.

And with regards to characters' killing and general lethality, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it to both of you guys via pm sometime before.
These are the posting rules from the updated post:

• Posting requirement is 4/5 posts a week, preferably 5. That keeps the rp going at a good pace without overburdening and stressing everyone out by allowing y'all a break every now and then.​
  • Posts should be more then 150 words at a minimum but also not excessively long. Y'all know the general drill with this - write depending on what the scene requires but don't get out of hand since we all need to read it, especially since you should by default have only one character! (Pach is exempt cus he's a greedy GM bitch)​
  • For our new players - when the IC starts, please call in the OOC when you're about to write an IC post so we don't have posters clashing with one another, and show respect to those that have called as well. Try to post within a one hour time frame of your call so as to not hold the rp up too! Like anything this is all flexible but still a good guideline

Nowhere there nor under the Rules tab did it specify it being a post a day maximum. Post length sure, but it's not obvious and certainly not for those whom are coming in at Part 2 and weren't in Part 1. Also the other details haven't been addressed or at least not fully. At no point have I had my character perform a kill, I had a character related to mine die as a result of fighting. I also read the rules and it really does need to be put in there, relying on a comment cast in a conversation prior is hardly fair. I'm not trying to be an ass, I made the requested changes. But please understand my frustration with this.

Reactions: Taerinn
Re: you and Warden, are you in the same VtM session?
Nah, I just happened to watch Cry's playthrough of the game a few years back and I got hooked onto the lore. Read up on everything available in the web, but I've never done any tabletop rps or the like. ^^" My writing life's pretty much restricted to Iwaku lol, there aren't any miscellaneous clubs in my school.

Also I hope you two aren't taking the public announcements too badly. It's a common thing here. Everyone's been on the receiving end of one or two admonitions on the OOC, and while it could be taken the wrong way, they can help you progress as a writer and adjust to Tales if you don't let them drag you down. :D For example, when I was new here, I made huge ass, "walls of text" bolded for extra emphasis because that's how fucking horrible I was posts and was a little too heavy-handed with (my Part 1 character) Lute (amongst other things iirc), so everyone told me that and I adjusted. Now I'd like to think I'm a little better writing/pacing my characters! But seriously, the rp's just for fun. Don't let it stress you out, and don't stress other people out :D

Last edited:
First of all:

Btw guys as a general reminder - if we can please the ooc up to date on whether or not you're going to be posting or not for that day, just to let everyone better know what's going on. :)
How embarrassing, I was about to jump in with YEAH! and then I realized I didn't call yesterday, I still had the draft of me saying "Calling next! :>" saved D| My apologies for not paying attention to that!

Second:

I might have fought with him and even took a pretty significant break from the RP because of it, but no one here knows the tone better than Pach. And sometimes we struggle with it, but please don't take it personally. It's okay to be frustrated, but we've all been there! You'll get the hang of things eventually. Each story is a new beast, and we all struggle at times!
Ain't that the truth |D Just giving an extra thumbs-up to Rex, Danni, and Kei's responses on the matter. Pach putting on his scary moderator hat can be unpleasant and flustering, but it's with the best of intentions and no hard feelings are meant by it. I personally find it to be a relief when the OOC reaches a new page and we can all take what we've learned without having to scroll past it all again, lmao.

Edit: Oh yeah, and calling the next post! c:

Edit edit: Done!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pachamac
I'm pretty sure we've all butted heads with Puch at some point, but that's pretty usual stuff in a collaboration on such a large scale. It is a good point to add the rules and clarify the wording of the rules especially with new friends joining, though!

I'mma post!

To give everybody a headsup: Since it appears we're nearing the end of all the interactions, I'm going to be moving things forwards with a small timeskip on Tuesday to the point where I start getting everybody's asses kicked, so please bare that in mind with your upcoming posts!

Oki doki time for me to post, because tonight's going to be crammed with schoolwork! :D

Oooppps I slept passed my alarm :(. Sorry this holds things up for Flynn, Pach! I'll aim for a post later today.

Heeey guys. I just wanted to give y'all a warning. I've been dealing with really bad dental pain the last few days and I've finally got an appointment to see a dentist - so if I don't end up posting today it's because I might be in even more pain haha. /shootme

How-diddly-ho everybody! I hope you've all been having a wonderful Easter Monday and that the next upcoming week isn't too stressful for anyone! I only need to work for three days next and then I have the following three days off, huzzah! 8D

Best of luck with the dentists Danni and I really, really hope they're able to alleviate your pain asap. Toothache is the absolute worst and nothing really compares to it. It's sucks badly D| *superpowersuplexhugs*

I'm going to call the next post which shouldn't really involve too much aside from a bit of setup for tomorrow's shenanigans :)

Also! Have yourselves some relaxing jazz cus who the hell doesn't like jazz?

• Love
The plot thickens!

Also if this is gearing up to what I think it might be, this song might be very appropriate. Some of you may get the reference.

• Love
I chose it as Flynn's theme song for a very good reason ;D

Also brace yourself for Rex fangirling, she absolutely adores Borderlands 2

For this next round I'd just like for people to generally react to the train ride and wrap up any more prethoughts before things go very much to hell in my next post!

• Love
Oh yeah I hadn't noticed that. Got to love Borderlands, though I only know about it because I'm forced to play it at work from time to time :|

Also if we had a team theme:

I don't even know why, it's just badass.

Edit: I'm also a LoL fan :P

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.