Status
Not open for further replies.
Having it be a mix of Tanks and Mechanized would make the most sense being mainly case it's modern military doctrine. Seeing a mix of MBTs, IFV/APCs, and Infantry on the battlefield is not uncommon.
If we break it down an look at a Division from the army, in this case Infantry. You're going to see that there is at least two regiments (One Battalion) of armor integrated in.
We can also look at it from the side of the Cavalry, a quick mobile strike force (Around the size of a Regiment) made up of MBTs, CFV/IFVs and Cav scouts.
Even a true armored division like Old Iron Sides has infantry integrated in.
Accompanying these units will also be an MP Company, Artillery section, Aviation brigade, Engineer battalion, and a Chemical Company. We don't have to worry about these, from what I understand all we need to focus on is the Tanks and Mechanized Infantry.

Reactions: Dunruffle
Hhhmmm that's sounds very solid for the RP.

After some thinking today, I also conjured the idea that we can do something like a pimped up Marine cav scout company/battalion. The RP, will sort of look like what we see in Generation Kill with all the Humvees, profanity and dark humor which I really love.

Here is where the pimping occurs (necessary b/c the complicated nature of the environment our marine OCs will be working in).

I want to replace a majority of the Humvees with MRAPs and maybe throw in one or two Stryker MBGS vehicles. This is because the world our marines will be venturing into is not some simple fantasy, otaku's dream. Instead everyone is walking into what is essentially Hades' Pandora's box.

The setting we see inside the Akame Ga Kill universe is significantly different than what we are familiarized to in Gate. Firstly, aside from the usual dragon encounters, you'll be met with disgruntled giant rock monsters, giant triple headed lions and etc. For the safety... of our OCs and also logic (maybe), wouldn't it be kind of a good idea to have some big caliber guns on sight, ready at your disposal to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible?

Of course, we can rely on using the fifty calibers and AT4s however... I don't feel it's really practical to do so. You gotta get the weapon on to the target, maybe shoot and hit it a few times before it goes down and that could be seconds that decide a soldier's life or demise.

But when a 105mm HEP shell is lobbed at just about anything... I think the target will be gone just seconds after it appears. Easy, safe, and likely... affordable? That's just my theory...

Another pointer to take note of is the faction (also an empire) that we'll be up against. It has a loose tech level ranging from simple civil war era weaponry I.e. muskets to modern day looking, team punked assault rifles to things beyond our time for example... If it's safe to presume... Laser guns?

Anyways, they're actually going to be an enemy that "we will" be fighting. It's not going to be some simple Ride of the Valkyries, swoop in with helicopters and destroy an entire 10K man brigand army in ten minutes. This army is actually built for modern combat minus a significant ability to control the skies.

I'll delve into this topic more once we get the RP going but just keep in it mind for now. I know it's a lot of info to cover, info that I don't want to neglect so we'll be potentially spending a few hours in the OOC talking about this.

Anyways, for the time being. Read up some Akame Ga Kill lore!

Also, keep in mind. We're working in a scenario where "Total War" has been declared and Gallia is being backed by some countries in her efforts to get payment from the empire.

Just my two cents, but in my opinion we should keep it similar to GATE enemy technology wise. If the enemy has access to modern day weapons and laser guns. Then they would have probably still been fighting on our side of the gate. I am not saying they should be utterly powerless against modern day technology. (Magic is a helluva thing). But to keep it sorta believable, our modern day technology is what gave us the edge to push the enemy back. Plus that is the plot point of where modern day military tactics go up against medieval/mythological ones.

To sum it up, I think the enemy should be from a medieval/mythological era in concerns to weapons and technology. If we gave them laser guns and such, why not just make them aliens or futuristic invaders?

I'm not going to be giving them laser guns heh heh. Well, hhhmmm... Maybe I'll just arm them up to the max with WW2 or WW1 equipment.

All in all, I kind of want to create a Gate/Generation Kill/Total War setting.

Reiterating, tech of our enemy is best discussed at a later date because right now is just not he time for it...Yet! We haven't even gotten off our heels and we're already reaching for the stars! Doesn't work...

This week, let's just focus on what our marines will be bringing with them on this adventure and start imagining what our trooper will like and be like!

As long as I got my tank.
Need anything you know where to find me.

Alright, I will be creating the OC thread later this week and I suppose a good due date would be this Friday. In the mean time I just want to provide everyone with some info that will benefit you in creating your OC.

-The marines will be working in a platoon commanded by a captain.
-Were going either mechanized infantry or pimped up Marine scout battalion
-No soldier above the rank of Gunnery Sergeant OK?? If you want Lt or 2nd Lt. Express your interest first before you do that KK?
-Dark humour (marine dark humor) is always welcomed!

Alright, I will be creating the OC thread later this week and I suppose a good due date would be this Friday. In the mean time I just want to provide everyone with some info that will benefit you in creating your OC.

-The marines will be working in a platoon commanded by a captain.
-Were going either mechanized infantry or pimped up Marine scout battalion
-No soldier above the rank of Gunnery Sergeant OK?? If you want Lt or 2nd Lt. Express your interest first before you do that KK?
-Dark humour (marine dark humor) is always welcomed!
So have you decided on what kind of technology the enemy empire will have access to?

Still more input the matter will be required for me to decide where they will exactly be.

For now, just focus on thinking about your OC. The tech matter is a separate thing that will require everyone's attention to.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dunruffle
I came! Pretty simple explanation but say's all it all that needs to be known, that's nice. Overall I think you have done something pretty cool here...now back to working this site out.

Apologies, but I've got something important to do for school tonight so I might not be able to throw up a complete OC sheet thread accompanied with an example for all of you to use.

I want to replace a majority of the Humvees with MRAPs and maybe throw in one or two Stryker MBGS vehicles.
This seems interesting but I just wanted to let you know, Marines have a unit that is pretty much exactly what you're looking for and you don't have to give them a vehicle that the Marine Corps doesn't actually use (the Stryker).

It's called a Marine Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, they use LAV-25s as their main mode of transport (All though you can always shrink down the number of LAV-25s and replace them with MRAPs if that is your want). They're Marines, they're reconnaissance, and they've got a hefty armored vic with a sweet 25mm bushmaster to compliment it. It's essentially what you are describing as wanting to play as.

Hope that helps a bit and doesn't just confuse you more .-.

Also here's an old Military Operation on Urbanized Terrain handbook from the USMC circa 1998, you'd be interested in pages 4-9 (Armored Vehicles in urban combat, short bullet points), B - 28 (Tank Main Gun, few pages), B - 26 (25mm Bushmaster, few pages), they're kind of long but I'm just providing you a nice source to reference if you end up needing it.

Last edited:
I'll get to try to working on my OC in the next few days, didn't know there were still posts here, wasn't getting the alert emails.

Aww dammit

I wanted a T-72B3M, or atleast a Sheridan (w/ Modified gun of course)

I can't promise to do the One Post per week thing, as I'm currently busy (currently self-studying Lua coding, taking my first shot at game development)

Cadence, I'm thinking...
...Instead of a purely USMC based Company, and since this is more or less GATE-themed RP

Shouldn't we have vehicles and/or equipment and soldiers from other Nations too?
I mean, isn't the entire world helping Gallia? If so, shouldn't they also send troops and equipment?

No, it won't be limited to just NATO Equipment, might include Russian equipment too, there's a limit though: No, no one can have the latest tank (specifically the T-14 and T-15), unless your OC is relegated to a purely Russian-themed-nation/company

Just my 10 Cents tho

I sorta get where AC-1 is coming from. I would sorta like to see either the JSAF or Royal S.A.S along with the Type 10 MBT or Challenger II in the RP. Though I can understand if that wouldn't be smart as of the moment with few people on board. It would scatter us and make things rather difficult and unrealistic to mix different nations in a squadron or company. It's not the UN forces or anything. It would be best to stick with the Hell Dogs or USMC to keep us all in one place and make things run a bit smoother.
Just my say.

Challenger II
Type 10 MBT

As much as I would like to also see them, putting the latest models wouldn't really be realistic, unless they were manufactured by Gallia itself

As much as I would like a T-72B3M, putting it here wouldn't be realistic, as it's the latest model

It would be best to stick with the Hell Dogs or USMC to keep us all in one place and make things run a bit smoother.

True
Though I think we should stick with the USMC based company until we have enough RPers to have a multi-national unit

On the topic of equipment, please understand that there is a sense of realism that we are trying to maintain. Now I'm not really sure if the unit we are going as is part of the Marine Corp or just based off of it.
In the case that it's an actual Marine unit then you'll be seeing equipment such as the M1A1 AIM v.2, Humvees, LAV-25s, M88s.
Now if the unit is only based off of the Marines then I would expect it to use more of less the same equipment, or streamline equipment of another nation. There are very few examples out there of Nations that use a combination of NATO and former COMBLOC. An example that comes to mind would be Poland who uses a heavily modified version of the T-72 known as the PT-91, T-72Ms Leopard 2A4s, BMP-1s, M113s, MiG-29s and F-16s.
The end decision comes down to Cadence however.

In the sign ups thread, we currently have 3 more open spots for OCs. Now this number may rise depending on my final evaluations of them which I'll will be likely doing this long weekend.

For the time being, I will inform everyone that it matters to stretch out you character as much as you can and/or to a level of which you feel confident that what you're trying to get through has been achieved. Anyways... Happy dappy typing everyone!!!!

-Cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.