Science Fiction, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say everybody further develop their species' culture and post it as a new reply. Give the species a unique cultural aspect, some kind of focus. From there, we could very easily decide where each species sits on this council, or whether the species is involved at all.

Are they war-like? That would make them aggressively expansionist and likely not part of the council, but perhaps they loan their forces out to council races to settle disputes. Pacifists? They'd make great mediators. If they come from a planet that required fast or innovative technological advancement, science is a good way to go.

Once we've got those details, we can lay the groundwork and decide where we're going with this thing.

I think editing their original posts is enough, and then letting us know you've edited. Though mine already mentioned their societal strengths. I'll refine it a bit- then update the first post in the thread here.

Sorry I've sort of disappeared from this conversation. I was rather busy over the weekend and didn't have much time to read over everything and reply. I should be more free now to do so and to update my race a little (since social standing and culture was something I sort of brushed over).

I also don't really mind any particular method for how we choose races.

edited the nesher species blurb.

Also, @Zaenephayl that's fine. I understand. Wife and i went out of town for good friends wedding the past five days so take your time!

Also, I'm starting to bite at the bit for this to get rolling :) ! I'm totally fine with people only being able to post 1-2 times a week. Just hard for me to be patient sometimes, hehe.

also, if you won't want to go through your species and rewrite a bunch of stuff that's fine. Just drop a new post and summarize 'they're good at X,Y,Z.' I'd be happy with that.

Updated and gave them a culture. Mostly scientists and weaponsmiths.

Updated the race I've created as well. They're pretty much Astrologists, able to map out stars and star systems with great efficiency.

Blergh I have put off posting this for too long. So This is a pretty weird race, especially non-humanoid, but it is one that I like a lot A lot of this is recycled and probably not suited to the style of this rp, but if you're interested... here are The Strangers (better name pending). This is some really chaotic stuff since it was kind of a stream of consciousness post originally and I'll probably come back to edit it later. They're kinda space druids. A little.

The Strangers are a race that has an air of extreme mystery about them, not the least due to their strange garb and unwillingness to let other races into their settlements. They have a strong religious focus, based around their planet of life, a giant place filled with glowing golden water. It was from there that life sprang billions of years ago, but due to the low atmosphere and extraordinarily limited land there, much of the life that attempted to evolve from there and escape to land could not survive long.

The Strangers' ancestors, however, were successful, with heavy, airtight carapaces that could open and close to keep life-sustaining liquid within them and enhanced strength that let them survive the vacuum of space, they managed to escape and survive to explore the galaxy. They settled on a nearby planet that had a similar composition to their own and managed to thrive and evolve. Their carapaces shrunk in exchange for long, manipulating arms, as well as a disgusting self-defense mechanism against the local flying wildlife - their heads are no longer where their brains or sensory organs reside. They are now bulbous sacs filled with poison, that are regrowable. Though they managed to defeat the birds as their technology advanced, this evolutionary oddity remained.

Soon after this they developed artificial space flight, and colonized many worlds around them. Their breeding cycle is extremely fast, so they spread out amongst the worlds over just a few thousand years before settling down and keeping the population under control, fearing the limited number of livable planets.

They keep their shapes hidden beneath robes of red and gold, matching the colors of their home planet, that few humans have ever seen beneath. They are huge, and have many spider-like legs - the tallest standing up to 10 feet high, with a horse-like body extending far out behind them underneath their robes, low skittering can be heard beneath the cloaks. Due to their strength, they have adapted the use of melee weapons, extending 6 grey arms out from underneath their robes to wield fascinating and deadly bladed weapons, the forms of which are complex and naturally contouring to their style of attack.

While they attempt to live at peace with planets, they are not without their own technological advancements. Communicating through a complex series of hand and arm movements, not many other races can directly understand them, and even less can mimic it (due to the not having 6 arms issue). They found a way around this by studying known languages and creating a camera-to-speech system that other races have used to communicate with them often. They also have a strange mastery over metals and plant life, able to use all resources available to them to their fullest and creating incredible works of art.

Due to their unusual physiology and their planet-hopping nature, they have developed a few defensive techniques. Their shells, while hard, are not impenetrable, but still offer good resistance against primitive and some advanced artillery attacks.

Their religion is based around their world being a sort of christ figure, with other livable worlds being demi-gods and full of need for respect. These "Gods" are giving and forgiving, but can be easily abused. There are some who have claimed to be able to listen to the God-Planets, and they claim that other races have long lost the way to do so. They respect other races for being able to survive and expand in the universe, but they try to stay out of other races affairs.

I also got a little sketch of The Strangers commissioned a few months back, out of their robes :P

SYYVJl6.jpg

Last edited:
I can definitely see them as being one of the minor races, this is good stuff. At first upon your original description, i thought they were going to be more like the 'Hanar' from the mass effect universe. I'm glad i was proven wrong. I like non humanoid races! They are probably dealt with at a distance by Humans, due to their strange looks :)

So for this intergalactic alliance of species- United Galactic Conference[Council?] sound good? Run by a council with one elected official from each race that serves as the council representative for the conference. Named councilman/woman. Not necessarily the same person as the primary leader of that race's government.

like a democratic republic, i'm thinking.
Honestly i'm okay with each of the proposed races having a council seat if the creators of those races are- especially if they are numerous and communal/forward thinking/mostly benevolent.
--
@DinoFeather @Mágissa Kei @Zaenephayl @GroggyFrog @Tyrannosaurus Rekt @Niiwa @Dipper @OrangeLord7301

Sounds like we all want to work on the same ship. Excellent. I think that sounded pretty concise.

I'd like to take a vote for things here out-
  1. So are we the only crewmembers on the ship? Like a light freighter that can be manned by 5-6 people? Or something larger- like a large freighter/ small carrier- where our group works as a cohesive unit under command of a larger group? Or something in between- where we work from a moderate sized ship that has our characters, as well as maybe 10 - 20 other NPC's aboard taking care of mundane tasks aboard the ship?
  2. Council Government work, or Private Sector work? It only makes a difference who we report to, really.
  3. We all mentioned we wanted to be mainly an expeditionary group, yes? We'd be sent out to chart this new system at the edge of known space as the original mission? Or a system that has already been 'charted'/named as existing- but not explored yet?
    1. -- The plot within this will vary dependng on what the GM wants, however- the original 'reason' is what i'm referring to.

Once we get that ironed out- i'm going to be creating a character sheet so we can get going. Also looking over ship designs [love to get other suggestions as well!! I've got a little database on ship images that caught my eye, for instance.]

I think some things we will be doing will be decided by dice roll by none other than myself/other gm's. Like what kind of planet it is- Gas Giant, Water, Temperate, Jungle, Continental, Arid, Desert, etc... What kind of wildlife we come across, and all that. Depending on what kind of characters we get from the palyers- I may even allow them to decide on things, as well. Like if a player choses to be a xenobiologist/zoologist, i'll let them decide what the creature we happen to come across is [?]. Or if a player happens to roll up someone who is good with meteorology and air quality, etc, allow them to kind of decide through RP means what sort of atmosphere the planet's going to have, and that kinda thing... If that sounds like a bad idea, let me know- lol- i just thought it'd be kinda neat to do a group storytelling of everything- but still be in bounds of RP/IC.... make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I could definitely see them being a minor/underrepresented race outside of their own area.

I mean if you wanna be GENERIC about it those terms are adequate xD

I might have gone with something like The Assemblance of Treatied Species and Planets or ATSaP because acronyms are fun :P But yes I do like the UGC as a more serious option. It simple and it describes the situation.

--
EDIT:
1: For me, I like the idea of having at least a few NPCs on this ship. Either as fodder or character development, I think it will be helpful to have a small bank of named and unnamed characters hanging around that we can pull out for whatever reason. I still like the feel of a smaller ship overall, though.

2: I don't think this one affects possible plot points too much. We see military goons turn on us or we see freelancers turn on us, same thing :P. I do like the idea of being government funded though, just kinda a personal thing I guess? Maybe some more possibilities for stories.

3: Expeditionary mission is definitely great for me. Lots of exploring, adventures, making out with green chicks, etc. :3 I like the edge of space for a more isolated adventure, but I also like the whole "planet of the week" with an overarching adventure/scheme/whatever that was popping around a few pages ago, and a named but un-explored system can work better for that. That always sounds like fun to me.

I think having a more collaborative storytelling with a GM to guide it is a good idea - we just have to lay out EXACTLY what the GM has power over and what players can do, otherwise that might get a little confusing or something. It's a dangerous line to walk >_>

Last edited:
@Spectre
  • So are we the only crewmembers on the ship? Like a light freighter that can be manned by 5-6 people? Or something larger- like a large freighter/ small carrier- where our group works as a cohesive unit under command of a larger group? Or something in between- where we work from a moderate sized ship that has our characters, as well as maybe 10 - 20 other NPC's aboard taking care of mundane tasks aboard the ship?
  • Council Government work, or Private Sector work? It only makes a difference who we report to, really.
  • We all mentioned we wanted to be mainly an expeditionary group, yes? We'd be sent out to chart this new system at the edge of known space as the original mission? Or a system that has already been 'charted'/named as existing- but not explored yet?
Like @Niiwa was saying, it might be better for us to have an intermediate ship with a crew made up of not only our characters, but also NPCs for the purpose of cannon fodder and mundane tasks around the ship.

I am leaning towards the Council Government work myself, seeing as we made all these new species for the Galactic Conference (good name, btw), and if we were to go about different routes for the RP, like espionage, or sabotage, it's easier to get ideas out of Government-sanctioned work.

Lastly, I'm voting for the Star System that has been named, but not yet explored. Like something along the lines of being told to go out into this new system and make sure it's applicable for exploration and use by the worlds involved in the Galactic Conference and what not.

I also agree with @Niiwa and @Mágissa Kei. I like the idea of a relatively small crew with a few NPCs scattered about. I also like the idea of government work a bit more. Don't really have a preference in which way we go for the area we are exploring though.

As far as my race goes, turns out I did mention that stuff. But, I did update it a bit. Mostly mechanics, miners, material scientists and traders.

Working on my race, I promise! I should have more added soon!

UPDATE:
@Spectre How do you feel about the Ashiir being the race that invented the current fuel standard for FTL travel and other space-travel vessels? If that doesn't work for you, I can change it.

I updated my previous post! Wooo.

Depending upon how artistic I'm feeling, I may try for a sketch. We'll see.

Last edited:
okay. So we're thinking a UGC Starship with our characters, as well as other crew-members. Maybe 30-50 people on board. That would allow all sorts of people on board. Helmsmen, navigators, all different types of scientists, engineers, bridge crew, medical, requisitions, mess, and even security. So like a frigate of sorts used for scouting and reconnaissance. That will keep the NPC's busy with ship stuff, and allow us freedom if needed when we depart from the frigate and go planet-side.

Coming up with system names, planet info, etc. :)

Also going to be putting up the character sheet soon.
I know i've been kinda bouncing quickly here, but once the RP starts i won't be so manic.

Reactions: Mágissa Kei
Hey, could I get in on this?
I have a Character that I would like to use for this and possibly an Org. I could use with him.

If I am able to contribute, what can I do to help?

@Hermit.Js Maybe. Currently I've stated I do not think i can handle any further players. So as we stand- we're quite full at the moment. However, as this isn't even officially started yet, people are likely to drop out at any time- or go non-responsive. I do have a couple people I haven't heard from in some time... That i will be doing an activity check in a day or so to begin the OOC stuff like characters, etc.

If you'd like to lurk or provide ideas, i'd love to have you- but I cannot provide assurance right now.

Okay, I may lurk. Thank you for your time.

@Spectre I don't meant to rush you or anything, but I was wondering if you've got an estimate on when you'll be putting up the characters sheet?

@Mágissa Kei I can get it up today :)

Was trying to give people a chance to respond. But putting up the character sheet won't hurt!

Awesome, can't wait to see it then! If only to work on it for a good while.

Status
Not open for further replies.