Science Fiction, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the mess then! Nice to have ya! The first post explains it pretty well, that was somewhat recently updated to include the races we have so far and some other information.

Once I get caught up and exams are done, I will post my race idea. c:

Awesome. A scifi RP that isn't overcrowded, and is currently being worked on. That is super rare. Why are scifi RPs so rare? Breaks my heart, it does.

Anyway, I'm interested in joining this. I actually have quite a few alien races I've created over the years that could be applied. Though, I'd have to not use the less humanoid ones. Unfortunately, a lot of them are military based (even though I'm like the least military minded person on this planet), and since we already have a handful of militaries, I would probably need to make them do another thing.

I can also help with plot~! I cannot help with GMing, I've sworn that off considering my sheer failure at it. But I don't mind working out backstory and story going forward.

Also. I dragged Niiwa here.
Double also. Hey, Dino~!

Also. I dragged Niiwa here.
You did nothing of the sort :P

I have an alien race that I like a lot, but it is extraordinarily non-humanoid and is pretty odd. They're very religious around their home planet, which is mostly water, and they evolved airtight shells so that they could "jump" to nearby planets. They also have six arms and no mouth so they communicate through essentially different forms of sign language. They're kinda silly but I like them >_>

And yeah, I can agree to helping with plot. I would offer GMing assistance, but I have no real experience gming a pbp so IDK how good I would be.

I keep getting wrapped up in outside work, sorry. I'm still here, cooking up my race ideas. More like I'm still in the process of building them. I'm thinking some kind of unique metallo-organic species, something unique.

Maybe when my schedule stops making no sense, they'll start being a more coherent set of ideas.

As for my plot ideas, maybe something more exploratory. The galaxy is a big place, and the universe is even bigger. Perhaps these races are advanced enough that traveling to other galaxies is a real possibility. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still here as well. My alien race should be done soon enough as well, and I'll be up to posting it later today at the earliest.

UPDATED.

Homeworld: Rh'alara Valiss (Valiss)

Colony: Rh'alara Kessos (Kessos)

Race: Ashiir (Demonym: Ashiiran)

Rh'alara Valiss is a somewhat tumultuous planet with frequent seismic and volcanic activity. It is slightly larger than Earth, having a gravitational force of 10.7 m/s2​, and has a climate that ranges from tropical at its equator to temperate at the poles. There is a single large ocean laden with archipelagos, as well as several expansive inland seas. There are three vast continents that make up the majority of habitable land, along with a few of the island chains; most of the archipelagos are highly volcanic and not suitable for life. The dense atmosphere, a result of continuous volcanic activity, keeps the planet warmed and, despite it having only a slight axial tilt, there is very little ice at each pole. The Valissan year has 410 days and is divided into five "phases," each lasting about 80 days; the days are roughly thirty hours long.

While a few of the volcanoes on Valiss have violent, explosive eruptions, most of the volcanoes are given to gentle eruptions with flowing lava that creates and expands existing islands. Because of the volcanic activity, much of the Valissan soil is very rich and provides for abundant vegetation which, in turn, had given rise to an impressive array of wildlife. Much of the planet is covered by dense jungle, spreading to deciduous forest moving away from the planet's equator. Regions of the eastern continent are covered by vast marshes, while parts of the southern land is rocky plains. The northern continent boasts the most impressive mountain ranges, as well as the most active and violent volcano, Kelakhaar, which is constantly and closely monitored.

The constant shifting of tectonic plates and ongoing volcanic activity make Valiss a rather dangerous planet. Nevertheless, life adapted and evolved to fit the bill. The Ashiir are a fairly new race on the universal scale, as Valiss is only about 2 billion years old, but were forced to evolve quickly to ensure their survival. They were once a nocturnal tree-dwelling species, though modern Ashiir have become more comfortable on the ground-- and in the skies. Despite the apparent diversity of life on Valiss, the Ashiir are the only fully-sentient beings.

They are largely humanoid in appearance: standing upright, possessing four limbs, and having two forward facing eyes with binocular vision. They still retain lithe forms, and are thin in comparison to humans. There is little difference in general size between the sexes, and they usually stand between 5' and 6' tall, though few reach a maximum height. Despite having thin bodies and a relatively small overall size, they are quite strong due to unique musculature and exceptionally long tendons and ligaments.

They are mostly hairless, having only dense, fur-like hair on their heads and around their faces; they lack any other body hair. Skin colours range from pale blue to dark green and, rarely, shades of pale pink or violet. Often, their skin is patterned or mottled but can be a solid colour. Albinism is exceptionally rare. The pattern of hair growth varies between individuals, with either sex being more inclined toward a particular growth pattern. The patterns range from a mane starting between the shoulder blades, to hair around the sides of their faces, to growth almost akin to that of human hair. The texture, length, thickness, and colour vary between individual Ashiir.

One of the most noticeable features are their ears. Positioned high on either side of their heads, their ears are elongated and wide-- somewhat akin to hairless bat ears. Most often their ears are laid backward, but can be stood erect and swiveled to collect sounds. It is common for ears to be an extension of their expression.

Their eyes are somewhat large (in comparison to a human's) and their vision is keen, especially in low light. They have a noticeable eye shine that reflects as a bright yellow or green. (Note that this occurs only when a light is shown into their eyes; it is most noticeable when there is dim or no light.) Eye colours are pale, often in shades of green, blue, or yellow. About half of all modern Ashiir have nictitating membranes in addition to their true eyelids; a fading remnant of their ancestors.

Their faces are vaguely elongated and somewhat animalistic (by human standards), with their nose, upper and lower jaw, and cheekbones slightly protruding forward. Their noses are somewhat flat, but defined, with narrow nostrils.

While they are primarily bipedal, they are capable of walking and running on four legs and often will when they need to move quickly. They are plantigrade and have retained the prehensile feet of their tree-dwelling ancestors. While years of walking upright has reduced some of the need for foot dexterity, they still use their feet and toes for gripping and balancing. Their feet are somewhat elongated, each possessing four toes-- though the big toe is oriented to the inside, acting as a grasping, opposable thumb. There is a slight midtarsal break that allows for flexibility in the foot; however, the foot can be flexed (such as for running) and stiffened provide better propulsion. It is uncommon for Ashiir to wear restrictive footwear and they are most often seen with scant straps or coverings in place of shoes. Their hands each have three dexterous fingers and an opposable thumb.

Due to the constant volcanic activity on Valiss, the atmosphere contains many toxic gases, including high levels of carbon monoxide that are released from the planet's inner layers. As the ancestors of the Ashiir came down from the trees and into the dense and poisonous gases, they evolved methods of surviving in the toxic environment. They breathe oxygen, but they are non-hemoglobic and suffer no ill-effects from the carbon monoxide. They also possess a sophisticated filtration system that is located above their "true" lungs that purges unusable gases out of two small vents behind either side of their lower jaw.

The Ashiir are designed for a primarily carnivorous diet, but can and will eat select vegetation as well. They have two rows of small, triangular, serrated teeth in both the upper and lower jaw. Instead of molars, they posses small protrusions of jawbone that serve as crushing plates for plant matter and other foods too difficult for them to chew. Unlike their smaller front teeth, these plates possess impressive force and can crush bone-- a staple in traditional Ashiiran diets.

Nearly everything on Valiss is poisonous to some degree, including the Ashiir-- most notably, their saliva. On its own, their saliva is mildly caustic and is used to help digest food before entering the stomach, but mixed with a venom that is secreted by glands in their jaw, it is a particularly nasty substance. Modern Ashiir venom is somewhat less potent than that of their ancestors and only truly toxic in large quantities or when concentrated. Ashiir are, of course, unaffected by the substance, but other species tend to experience mild tingling in their extremities after exposure, lasting only a few minutes. Concentrated amounts of Ashiir venom can, however, lead to paralysis and death-- though such incidents are few and far between. The venom they secrete into their saliva is largely a byproduct of their filtration of toxins from the environment, and Ashiir that live off-world have a notably milder venom composition.

Their average lifespan is 100-125. (Ashiiran years)

They reproduce sexually and give birth to live young. They are physically compatible with other races, but can only produce offspring with other Ashiir.

Much of the evolution on Valiss has been closed due to the Ashiiran management of the planet. As the only sentient species, they rushed to the top of the food-chain and, while they are slowly evolving less exaggerated features, they have changed little over the past several centuries. Theirs is a culture founded on the desire to learn. Education and knowledge are so highly valued within their culture that social status is determined by an individual's contributions to society and, particularly, to academia.

The Ashiir are notable for their advances in most every field of science and technology. They are highly innovative, tireless workers that will stand for nothing short of excellence. They strive to push the boundaries of possibility in their pursuit of knowledge, and they are proud of their collective intelligence. This is not without cause-- the Ashiir are quick-minded beings-- but it can lead to tensions when working cooperatively with other races. While Ashiir work together well enough with other Ashiir, many are distrustful of other races' intelligence. It's not something that is ever really addressed aloud, but rest assured that an Ashiir will be double-checking your calculations behind your back.

Due to frequent seismic activity, Ashiiran architecture is designed to withstand considerable trauma, but even then the Ashiir do not like to tempt fate. The urban centres, universities, and research facilities (with rare exceptions) are all built as far away from active plate boundaries as possible in order to minimize potential damage.

Because of this, and along with many of the other natural hazards of the planet, the Ashiir population is quite small in comparison to those of other planets. Excluding the two million Ashiir on the colony planet of Kessos, there are roughly eight million Ashiir that inhabit Valiss. Their small population and propensity toward pacifism has lead them to be a non-martial race. They have no formal military, but have little need for one. They have a sophisticated planetary defense system in place that can down the biggest ship in the galactic fleet, should such a vessel ever try to penetrate the Valissan atmosphere. Of course, other races have little desire to even visit Valiss, much less invade it. If the constant natural hazards and monstrous wildlife aren't enough of a deterrent, the atmosphere itself is toxic to non-Ashiir.

The racial unity has allowed for ease of distribution throughout the continents of Valiss. The land masses are divided by not country borders, but by sectors. Each sector is responsible for a general branch of study, and is further divided into districts with more specific schools of study. Each Ashiir attends perfunctory education in their home sector before moving to another sector for their secondary education. After completion of competency exams, an individual selects four universities at which they desire to study and spends one phase at each. They are permitted a phase to reflect on their experiences and make the selection to explore more universities or to pursue further education at one they previously visited. Each Ashiir is expected to complete no less than five years, often referred to as "terms," at a university, and spends much of that time working as part of a research team and competing with their academic peers. The highest honor one can receive upon completion of their five term education is to be granted their own lab and research team.

(One of the most intensive and important branches of study geology, particularly seismology and volcanology. There are researched teams devoted to monitoring and venting large volcanoes in order to reduce the impact of eruptions. As such, Ashiir are one of the galactic leaders in geological planetary evaluation.)

Ashiir economy is based upon a standard living wage, regardless of social status. Education and housing is provided at no charge, and each individual starts at the same level of income and social standing, regardless of parental status. As an individual progresses through their studies and offers advances or outstanding work, they are rewarded with research funds and teams to aid in their work. What research teams compete for most is greater funding of their work or study, but are never fully cut off unless their results prove hazardous.

There is only one belief system held by the Ashiir, and that is one of science and progress. It is often referred to as the "Universal Truth." They believe they exist in order to advance as much as possible in the time given to them, always moving forward.

The highly volcanic nature of Valiss has led to the majority of all power being geothermal. Items and devices that cannot be practically powered by geothermal energy, such as ships and other vehicles, are fueled by a chemical compound of several Valissan elements, condensed into a clean-burning fuel rod with a considerable use time.

The majority of Ashiiran relations with other planets is trade. Ashiiran technology is solid and well-trusted, but comes at a steep price. Nevertheless, most are willing to pay the price of innovation. Most notably, the Ashiir are the inventors behind the standard fuel used now used by most of the galactic races. The main imports to Valiss are raw metals and materials.

While the Ashiir are not xenophobic, they are highly cautious of outsiders. Those that live off-world are less wary of non-Ashiir, but are often still regarded as being high-strung. They like to keep an eye on the goings on, but aren't always the most social of beings-- often choosing to linger and observe, much to the dislike of many other races. They are not a people that frequently partakes in leisure activity and they can have a rather terse presentation, though this varies largely between individuals.

I will add more about their colony planet later on. c:

Last edited:
I finally have up the race I have in mind, it can still be considered a work in progress, but I think I've held off on it long enough.

Species Name: Elddaru

Species Homeworld: Tehat

A species that makes its home on a planet similar in composition to Saturn. The planet is mainly made up of hydrogen gas, floating ice particles, and debris pulled into a spherical shape by the gravitational pull emitted by the large core. The surface of the planet, with much of its make-up being loose material, is made up of shifting plates of "land" of varying sizes that given the make-up create up to three varying biomes that influence the species itself directly. Much of these landmass holds random cities and villages, all of which may vary in advancement depending on the surrounding location. Biomes that make up this planet vary between Tundra, Arctic Wasteland, and deserts that can rise up to 60 degrees Fahrenheit and will often fall very close to 0 kelvin, staying at around -300 degrees Fahrenheit. The planet is in a perpetual state of winter for 80% of the natural year, with the remaining 20% being unusual warm and slightly unbearable for most of the planet's inhabitants.

The main sentient race of the planet, the Elddaru, are know to have bodies that are uniquely adapted to these extreme temperatures. The Elddaru are generally described as scaly, thin, almost wiry humanoid beasts with small plates of armor over their body that double as both protection and insulation for themselves. Elddaru are often born with sharp bone protrusions, an evolution from the long-gone past as a form of protection that has long since become one merely of decoration and status. Generalized height for the Elddaru are between 6 and 7 feet for both sexes, and aside from the formation of spiky, bone-like protrusions from the body for added protection, there are little differences between the males and females. Elddaru male and females are able to possess hair as humans do, however their facial structure is vastly different, especially in the eyes and thins lips.

Though they are able to stand upright, Elddaru are often getting around on all fours as their long torsos, powerful forearms and legs often allow them ease of transportation. Elddaru have slit, ophidian eyes, giving the indication of less sensitivity to light, a given with the often stark white landscape of Tehat. Elddaru clothing is often consisting of cloth similar in feel to wool or fleece, as an added measure against the extreme cold of the planet. Elddaru often don tightly fit clothing similar to that of fashion in medieval times, worn by knights and squires.

An Elddaru's will consume mostly proteins and fats, as most of their diet is directly related to storing fat and warmth to stave off the constant harsh environment of the planet. The mouth of the Elddaru is similar to that of a wolf and boa constrictor mixed together, by human standards. The teeth of the Elddaru are numerous all pointed and edged as a result of their diet, with no room for molars as there are little plants that survive the cold of Tehat. The upper fangs of the Elddaru mouth are vastly larger than the other teeth, and in extreme cases will protrude from the mouth due to the sheer size. Like certain snakes, Elddaru can store a sort of poison or toxin inside of their bodies that can either be injected by bite or spat onto prey or enemies.

Despite their rugged looks, Elddaru are actually rather intelligent beings, with most being able to utilize the gaseous nature that creates the loose continents they live on to their advantage. Many Elddaru are adept at the science of elements, or chemistry, as well as that of astrology, both of which play a key role in the mapping of the movements of the continents of the planet. Elddaru are considered star-gazers, just an old race that had dedicated themselves to the mapping of the stars that sought to dictate the moving of the planet right under their feet. Some of the technology they use for astrological purposes is among some of the most advanced in the their galaxy, this being one of the main reasons, if any, that they would be sought out by other races.

Be outta town till sun eve. Talk amongst yourself :p

I did this all in one sitting. You'd all better appreciate it.

Species - Syn Esar (singular Syn Esi)

Planet - Enet (or Eth Ket O Thrut)

Biology - The Syn Esar are a bipedal species who appear insectoid in appearance, covered entirely in thick metal plating.

The species emerged from a desert that burns hot during the day (beneath a binary star system) and freezes overnight, so the Syn Esar are remarkably adept at adjusting and maintaining temperature even where plates have been peeled away through conflict. A unique secondary fluid transit system twines around their most sensitive internal organs, acting as a coolant on hot days, while their metallic plating can seal to insulate on cold nights. These plates can be shifted to accentuate tone in conversation, as well as reflect stress, joy, or agitation.

Plating is non reflective and colors can range from gunmetal grey to deep blue, while whatever skin beneath is more like a pale covering of scales than actual skin.

They are a tall and powerful, standing between 9' and 10' with a set of arms (four fingers, two thumbs) situated below the neck, and a secondary set consisting of two long 'claws' that fold in tight beneath the arms and against the chest. These supposedly were once used to break the shells of their prey during their more primitive years, and have noticeably shrunk since the emergence of more efficient tools. They are known to be capable of lifting three times their own weight, and even more with training no different than weight training among humans. They are bulky in the chest, and slim in the abdomen.

Syn Esar stand digitigrade. Elongated metatarsals support their weight, giving them a swaying or loping gait that suits their remarkable height. Two serrated talons end each toe to allow for gripping on the slippery desert stones, while a third toe provides balance.

There are four eyes on a Syn Esar's face; two in front, and two far back on either side, protected by a bony crest. These eyes are either red or yellow, with slitted pupils at the center. The face is sharp and almost reptilian, with the lower jaw coming in two segmented parts that lock together when closed. These jaws can separate outward to a full 90 degree angle and are covered in curving incisors intended to hold prey while the teeth of a secondary pair of mandibles tears it apart. These secondary mandibles bear the responsibility of communication, clicking, rubbing, and chittering in a unique language not replicable by other species.

Regardless, Syn Esar are very much capable of speaking more human languages as their once vestigial vocal cords, used long ago to replicate animal sounds to lure prey, can be used to mimic speech. Their intonation is strange and they are capable of accents. The thin, spiny 'fans' emerging from their crests are often utilized with non-Syn Esar species to aid in communication.

They are a highly intelligent, albeit somewhat wary and predatory, species that fought for their place as the dominant race on their planet. They have expanded beyond their solar system to inhabit many worlds, and now live comfortably in seemingly inhospitable planets through sheer will and their remarkable adaptability.

Culture -

For much of their prehistory, and indeed their history, the Syn Esar have warred. Records dating back millennia speak of great battles, and war poems decorate many of the ancient halls of Enet. Advancing alongside their technology has given them a unique perspective on technology as a whole, no matter how advanced, and many Syn Esar seem to have an inherent knowledge of the inner workings of even the most alien of tech.

The seething deserts of their planet make for the hottest forges. With only a year (433 days) of training, any Syn Esar can take to the anvil and forge a masterpiece.

Syn Esar view all other races as potential clients, believing that maintaining neutrality is the best offense. They will work with any race they choose regardless of alliance, provided they are paid well or have a strong enough existing relationship.

Metalworkers, architects, and gunsmiths/weaponsmiths make up the majority of the workforce, followed closely by geologists, astrophysicists, and merchants. Laborers are considered military reserves, while the military itself is an optional, and highly respected, position. The respect one garners from their position follows no known laws, and fully depends on the region from which the Syn Esar came.

Besides a region-based respect system, all Syn Esar are considered equal at their core. They build strong relationships with one another regardless of profession. Syn Esar do not form pairbonds for mating, as reproduction in the modern age is highly regulated so that the best and healthiest genes may be selected.

There are expectations, however. Males are expected to take up metalworking or gunsmithing, while females are expected to take up sciences. Since these professions can be mixed and lines can be crossed without much thought in the modern age, these expectations are slowly dying.

Clothing is thin silk produced by cave worms. It's thick enough to provide a modest covering without overheating the Syn Esar, and is often worn like skirt, held by belts made of the carapace of a wild animal on Enet and various metals. There is more cultural significance to these, such as color indicating friendliness or hostility. Most prefer to wear neutral colors like green or blue for this reason.

Syn Esar, upon birth, are given a unique name indicating their position in the birth order of that patch of offspring (Syn Esar will call others born at the same time their batchmates, and consider them family), the region in which they were born, and a third name chosen by themselves to indicate profession. The third may be a mix of professions.

An example:

Uynohnvir: Uyn - second, Ohn - the naming term for the region of Ohnos, and Vir - Untranslatable, but possibly means something like explorer, or scientist. Uynohnvir was likely the second to hatch within his/her batch in the Ohnos hatchery, and grew up to become a scientist of some sort.

Last edited:
This was a race I created a while back ago on another RP site. The character that I attached to it never saw the light of day due to the rudeness of the GM. It's actually quite long, so I'm going to put it under spoiler tags as not to murder anyone's eyes. We can use it, if people like it. If not, I understand. I'll probably lean more towards playing a human in this RP, because I have this character idea I've been really wanting to use. But I'm more than happy to let anyone else use this race.

So, you want to know more about the Vengane? Here's a rundown of them as a species. Their planet of origin is known as Karaxxith, or that is the closest to the phonetic pronunciation of it. They own five of the seven planets in their galaxy, the other two being uninhabitable due to their proximity to the sun. Their home world has comparable gravity and air mixture to the human's Earth. That being said, the climate is far harsher and filled with over 60% predators. Frighteningly enough, Vengane sits at the top of their food chain, eating the predators as opposed to the prey. The ecological system balances itself out, somewhat. They are a technologically advanced species, but unlike a lot of the most space-faring variety, a lot of their technology is military-based. At one point in time, they were a war-mongering, conqueror-loving species. Yet, like a toddler grows out of throwing temper-tantrums, they grew out of creating conflicts. Now, they are trying to get away from their technological advancements being solely of the gun and armor variety. They've sent out a call for scientists that wish to have near-unlimited funds to research whatever they want. The only catch, the Vengane own it and can do whatever they wish with it.

The Vengane stand easily at 8 human feet and weigh several hundred of their pounds. Most of their species are muscular, given the predator breeding. Yet, in the recent years, due to their more lax take on the battle, there have been a few Vengane capable of forming fat deposits. Quite frankly, their society doesn't know whether or not to be horrified or intrigued.

They are a bipedal, digitigrade species that balances on their four clawed toes—they have been called space dinosaurs on more than one occasion. They have a long, thick, prehensile tail that's the main function is keeping them balanced when they run or perform quick maneuvers. Though, it's also handy for holding things when one of their four hands are full. Their torso is similar to a male human. Their arms are proportionate to their body with four fully-capable digits. They have a second set of arms, though, that rest underneath the first set and come out from their sides. These are smaller in comparison and have six fingers that are thinner and used for finer manipulation.

Their heads are proportionate to their bodies. They are sleek with no hair. Actually, none of their body has hair follicles. They have four eyes. The primary pair sees in a visual spectrum similar to humans, but they can see a few colors more than them. They've tried to explain what the isstaryic color looks like. Their closest explanation is "orange that has been electrocuted, with the happiness of a human puppy, and the spiciness of the human curry." That description either makes humans hungry or nauseous. Their second set are thermal, on a basic level. Venganes have a nose that is sleek with small nares. Their olfactory senses are sub-human. They can only pick-up a certain range of smells. Their ears are similar to birds. It is just a hole on the side of their head, neatly hidden behind a ridge of bone and flesh. They can hear just as well as humans. Their mouths are about as large as humans unless they unhinge their jaw, and then it is more like a shark. They have sharp, black teeth on top and bottom. They have no lips. Their facial structure is devoid of muscles except those needed to chew and unhinge the jaw. That being said, the ability for the roof of their mouths to move helps with most words. They usually have a strong "k" to anything that has a soft "c" or "k", but they sound particularly human in their speech. Due to this lack of facial muscle, Vengane can't make facial expressions. Among other Vengane they making clicking noises or long reptilian howls to announce how they're feeling. Around any other species. They begin their sentences with their emotion and continue on from there. Still, their species is known for being blunt. They don't believe in lying, and they don't believe in a lot of emotional conflicts. It is common to hear from them: "Annoyed. I am sorry your small cerebral cortex cannot process these complicated thoughts." They're not being mean, they are stating a fact that a lesser race can't comprehend their words.

Vengane range in color from black to dark gray, and from brown to dark brown. Their bodies are sleek, their skin is as thick as leather. The bones that form their head are so dense that they could head butt a rhinoceros (this has been clinically proven.) Beyond all that, they do have colorful flourishes that appear on their body. The more color means the higher class they are. Yet, there is no chart to gage this, and so a lot of races don't try to.

The Vengane have redundant organs in all except for the brain and sexual organs. They are capable of eating human food but don't receive the proper nutrition from it. They usually have their own diet plan.

The Vengane have a god for everything. There is a god for mud. There is a god for trees. There is a god for cannibalizing another Vengane. There is even a god for prodding someone's liver. Nowadays, picking a god is like picking a profession. Vengane just do it in hopes of letting people know how they lie. There is no scripture or literature on their religion. It is purely oral.

Their government is a dictatorship. They are ruled by a Vengane called the Will & Body of the People. Of course, he has a council. Each council member is as varied as the gods in their duties. There are broad ones like "agriculture," but frivolous ones like "architecture on the northern plains." The Will & Body of the People calls for the aptest council members to help them with their plan before making a decision. Yet, once they enact a decision, it is not dismissable and fully carried out. One might think that this was an abuse of power. Yet, the "Body" part of that title makes it a little less so. People starve? The Will & Body starve. An arm of the military is destroyed? The Will & Body lose an arm. There is a plague? The Will & Body receive an illness that is recoverable but painful enough. There have been The Will & Bodies that have watched the head of their military crumble. They didn't survive the night.

The Vengane view this as the only way for them to keep the government responsible for their actions.

The Vengane work in a class system. The lower class is the working class. The middle class is military. And the top class in government. There is very little upward movement but a lot of downward movement. What might be surprising, though, is that they value their middle class above all else. Even though they've moved away from a military lifestyle, they still want their military to seem powerful. So, there is never any movement from the middle class. Well, if someone shuns The Will & Body they get moved down, but they have to do something downright atrocious. And that just usually ends them working as a slave on some remote mining asteroid.

So, there is a lot of pressure from the heads of households to remain in class and do their job with the utmost efficiency. Those that take up other professions are looked poorly upon. Once you're born into one class, you stay there. There are a few exceptional cases, but they are mostly mythology.

Though there is a difference in classes, it isn't oppressive. Sure, the middle class my huff at the lower class. The higher class may scoff at the middle. There is no unfair treatment in the form of social or physical oppression. Everyone understands they are a gear in the machine.

The Vengane have only one sex. Humans call it hermaphroditic, but the Vengane call it being a Vengane. When they were introduced to human's legislature and were told to pick one... there was a lot of confusion. They asked for clarification on which was which. There was more confusion as they didn't understand why someone who liked to wear a battle tunic made them an entirely different sex that one that liked to wear war trousers. They figured it out, though, and marked the correct box to the way they felt. They viewed it more as a feeling at a time than an actual sex.

Vengane do not believe in monogamy. They are polyamorous. Though they can favor one companion over another, they do not believe in allowing them all their time. They are encouraged to be as prolific as possible. This is due to the Vengane's low birth rate. Fortunately, they are a long-lived species and can afford a low birthrate.

Oddly enough, it has been discovered that the Vengane are sexually compatible with humans and similar races. They don't know who actually went about procuring that information, but they were the brave sort. That being said, the offspring was far more humanoid than the Vengane would want. After a bit of research, it turned out that the Vengane were 35% likely to have a child with other Vengane. Where a Vengane and another race were 90% likely to produce offspring. It was astonishing and weird.

The Vengane have shed their skins as a military based faction and moved more towards scientific pursuits, valuing intelligence over brute strength. Not to say they still don't have soldiers, but they are no longer interested in expanding their small piece of the universe. Now, they look to learning about other cultures, their science, and acclimating it into their own. Their goals are not known to outside species, but they assure them that whatever they learn will be equally distributed back.

They live in a caste system that can simply be explained as slave->worker->merchant->soldier->scholar->noble->council->leader. There is little upward movement within this system, but a lot of downwards movement if one is looked poorly upon. The three castes that are seen the most outside of their own species are the merchants, soldier, and scholars. The others rarely leave the confines of their home planet.

They do not believe in art or song. Their gods are basic and not at all relevant to the day to day of their lives. They are xenophobic, but still deal with species formally if not curtly. They've always viewed themselves as the spearhead of change, whether by force or knowledge. Of course, these are their beliefs and easily not held by any others.

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's four races, each interesting in their own way. What do the rest of you think?

I'd love to join, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to GM. I have a neat sci-fi inventor/thief character that I'd like to develop more/use in an RP.

Hey all. Let me read back over the past few days.

I don't think I want to accept any more entries as players after today.

Anyhow just checking in. Will edit this post after reading everything

UPDATE
@DinoFeather @Mágissa Kei @Zaenephayl @GroggyFrog @Hunter of Shadows @Dipper

edited the original post to summarize the bigger thoughts thus far, i believe. That way we have a single concise place to see some of this stuff. If you'd like me to include other bits of info- please tell me!

I'd love to see more race ideas. Doesn't even have to be long or drawn out- maybe just some physical descriptions at this point.
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, but to be honest you didn't seem very interested in my input, so I've more or less moved on

@Hunter of Shadows not sure where that impression remotely came from- but best wishes?

Thanks everyone for the excellent ideas on space faring species! Currently my only issue is the 'second' sight capability of the group that @Tyrannosaurus Rekt put out. I like it at the same time, because it definitely gives an extradimensional aspect of curiosity to the galaxy, as science cannot explain each and every one of their abilities to 'see' or 'sense'. Though I'm not sure i'm on board with allowing a race of people to potentially see how space and time works- as I feel like that would be a trait that would have been bred into dominance due to it's obvious applications. Extra-dimensional sight, as well. It seems to border fantasy, in my mind. However- if everyone else is cool with that- then great, more than happy to have them along. Otherwise, that is the only thing i see that makes me raise my eyebrow.

I think we should consider corking the races for now- at least. We have 7 including Humans on the board right now......
Though- im actually quite curious of @Niiwa 's. Sidenote- I'm totally fine with a species being able to withstand the vacuum of space- it's quite interesting- but how do they deal with interstellar travel, and breaching atmospheres? Or do they at all?

How do you all think we should about deciding which of these will be the more influential as far as politics and society go, and if we want them to form a council of united species. Also, their relationships with each other will need to be gone over- albeit briefly. Will they all be major players? Will some be satellites to others, and not have council seats? How will they be helpful to one another- IE: providers of specific or specialized tasks or areas of study like medicine, logistics, cartography, manufacturing, communication,
  • Sidenote to that- I will say that I do wish for the Human race to be one of the most rapidly spreading, and gaining of influence.
This will then bring us to the next conversation to solidify- of the player group in question. Are they all a part of a government project for the council? Or are they Private sector? From there, we can decipher what it was they are doing. And then our GM volunteers can get cooking on story elements. Honestly we can probably go on random encounters for a while until the story begins to unravel....

Either way, I'm putting together a character sheet that you will see soon after we discover our group's starting point in the story.

Currently my only issue is the 'second' sight capability of the group that @Tyrannosaurus Rekt put out.
Whoops. So sorry. I forgot to remove that, actually. In the other RP, there was a smidge of fantasy and was a little more loose on the rules of what aliens can do. I tried to remind myself to remove the fantasy bits and pieces from the race, but I think I forgot while trying to get the darn spoiler tags to work. I will remove that.

When I get a second, I will read over this and respond to the rest of your questions, I just wanted to put that out there. My bad.

@Tyrannosaurus Rekt Not a problem- i totally understand. I read it on my phone so could have missed some things. It's not totally out in left field, but i'd definitely prefer that if be bound closer to laws of existing science. Or pseudoscience of course! Maybe the ability to sense magnetic currents or something, i dunno. You don't have to keep it at a level where they can sense thermal activity ONLY, but space/time is a little excessive in this box for now.

@Spectre
Maybe for the deciding on the races, do you think it would be alright if we did a sort of poll? Like, if it was possible to get a poll that allows everyone to pick maybe five of the races we've listed to be on the council. Of course, if we were going to do that, then we might need to gather all the races into one post to make them easier to look at, wouldn't we? That was just something I was thinking about over the weekend, but I wanted to wait until I could ask you about it.

@Mágissa Kei

Take a look at the original post in this thread. I've updated it to include everything [until that one species is updated].

I don't personally care if we vote- or if we just discuss the pros/cons of the different species, or choose at random. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.