Science Fiction, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the races, it's kind of a loosely interpreted thing. I feel like we don't want to take races form other sci-fi shows, movies etc. But like we can give loosely-based descriptions using that as influence, yeah?

4 or 5 races.... I'm still leaning on the anthropomorphic race, and I don't mean the usual "just looks like a rabbit wearing clothes" Kind of that the alien will look to human as if it should be an animal and not a sentient person. They would have features that Humans could associate with animistic qualities i.e. Elongated ears, horns, different pigmentation, the appearance of fur, feathers, or scales in place of skin bare skin. fish-like eyes, or even the appearance or disappearance of certain appendages, thanks to the close influence of animals. I guess, "sentient monsters with a near functioning society" would sum it up pretty nicely.

@Spectre Don't worry about it, I felt like we'd have to talk about that one way or the other. You can count on me!

I kinda want to keep it slightly more in the realm of some sort of realism. So human lookalikes wouldnt likely be a thing. However humanoid looking- IE bipedal 5-6 foot tall species should still be in the realm.
I agree with this-- I think keeping most of the races humanoid will help everything mesh a bit better.

I'll say I do want the humans to be humans. I don't think the human race will have much a chance to evole much, as it's not been 'survival of the fittest' for us in ages. It's survival of the community now. Possible mutation, or medical advancement can certainly change things- extend life expectancy, that sort of thing.
Right now humans aren't really evolving for exactly this reason (excluding things like wisdom teeth or resistance to pathogens or whathaveyou), but I meant if it was far, far in the future and humans had settled on another planet or encountered something that restarted more of the physical evolution aspect. Really what I'm getting at is I hate the humans with wings/pointy ears cliche race that so many people love to use.

ANYWAY.

I think five races, including humans might be nice. It provides a chance for some diversity but isn't overwhelming. I'll throw out the suggestion of five major or playable races, but perhaps have a few more minor races around that can be referenced or encountered or whathaveyou. Just a thought-- and it's totally up to you.

So...do you just want people to pitch some race/planet ideas?

Oh, and while I don't want to commit to being a co-GM, I'm available to proofread or help with such things. Just let me know. c:

But like we can give loosely-based descriptions using that as influence, yeah?
I feel that if a race is going to be playable, it should be rather well-defined. People could collaborate, but before characters are created, I think a race needs to be fleshed out.

I also feel like "monsters with a near-functioning society" defines a race as not being very evolved or civilized. I might be misunderstanding-- if you mean just one race being like that, I think it's possible there would be one, but we'd have to consider why that sort of race is interested in interplanetary travel/relations. If they don't have a functioning society, it's probably not very likely that they'd have institutions of learning or science or anything like that. That said, I think there could definitely be a race like that that just keeps to their own planet for the most part. Like there might be a few exceptions here and there that have moved around due to other races visiting their planet and transporting them elsewhere-- but they could just be a race that is known or encountered on their own planet.

As for being anthropomorphic (or zoomorphic), I think it's a fair assumption that many races would appear that way to humans because humans try to assign qualities to things. Even if a race isn't reptilian, we might assign their traits as such. (e.g. scaly skin, hairless skin of an unusual pigmentation, etc.)

Sorry for the double post. .__.

Also, if I'm making things too technical, please let me know.

For the races, it's kind of a loosely interpreted thing. I feel like we don't want to take races form other sci-fi shows, movies etc. But like we can give loosely-based descriptions using that as influence, yeah?

.....>I guess, "sentient monsters with a near functioning society" would sum it up pretty nicely.

@Spectre Don't worry about it, I felt like we'd have to talk about that one way or the other. You can count on me!
Yes, as Dino said, it's kind of human nature to compare qualities and i'm all fine with that. As long as it's not like wolfpeople or whatever, just like what you were saying... lol... but something like Admiral Ackbar from the Star Wars universe- where clearly he's a fish- but it totally works because there's a certain alien dynamic to it.

Really what I'm getting at is I hate the humans with wings/pointy ears cliche race that so many people love to use.
Haha, that's okay. I'm not hard pressed to have anything like that in here. Knee-jerk fantasy thought process :P. As you say, it biologically doesn't make much sense.

I think five races, including humans might be nice. It provides a chance for some diversity but isn't overwhelming. I'll throw out the suggestion of five major or playable races, but perhaps have a few more minor races around that can be referenced or encountered or whathaveyou. Just a thought-- and it's totally up to you.

So...do you just want people to pitch some race/planet ideas?

Oh, and while I don't want to commit to being a co-GM, I'm available to proofread or help with such things. Just let me know. c:
Yeah. The major / more profitable or powerful races shouldn't be the only ones. Having satellite species and stuff like that is good. Like in Mass Effect, for example [I'll reference this a lot because it's a sci-fi series i'm very familiar with :/]- Humans, Asari, Turian, and Salarians are the "major races". However there's plenty of other races that are less populous, and less influential and powerful [as a whole] that run amok in the galaxy- and even align and work closely with the major races.

Also yeah, i'd love to start brainstorming, and hearing ideas for alien species! Or even quirky things about our Human race?

As far as you offering to help is more than welcome. I understand, and kind of in a similar boat that i don't have much energy to devote to GMing a full time roleplay. I just got the itch to start roleplaying again, and was sad to see that there weren't any sci-fi based roleplays looking for folk, or starting up... so i figured: "why not see if i could start one?" But then, the stigma is that 'if you start it, you GM it'.... Which i don't think i have the time for... But i think my goal is to create something together, that way the universe is pieced together not in only 'my' mind, but in everyone's. That way 'NOT' being a GM myself isn't going to be super detrimental... cuz it's not 'MY' universe.. It's the community's. :P

I'm going to make a pitch for techie tree gremlins.

Just give me some time.

I got this.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Spectre
Stream of consciousness turned into organizing a species:
Species Name: Nesher
Species Homeworld: "Zivah Reis"

They are a military junta [Called something like the Nesher Liberation Council]. Non-religious- big on engineering/ material sciences... They take a lot of pride in their communities and work hard for a greater good- as their homeworld wasn't super habitable or forgiving- so they had a lot of big communities- and not a lot of individual families out there living on their own (separation meant death). This also meant they were pretty territorial about their communities- making self defense a necessity. Their communities were run by their military leaders. This continued as their communities began merging- and forming alliances, then ultimately looking to the stars.

Formidable military might- as citizenship requires 2 years of military service. All citizens are conscripted at becoming an adult- which happens for them at age 20. Females, if pregnant- are not conscripted- however if they do not then volunteer for some sort of light duty community service, is almost looked down upon. All citizens who do not met certain mental and physical health requirements are not conscripted. Refusal means prison sentence- and this is very taboo in the culture.

They are not xenophobic. On the contrary, they enjoy learning, and are inquisitive by nature. Initially upon discovering other sentient life- they were territorial and lashed out- however they now realize that if the people come together, great things can be achieved. They tend to trust quickly- as their people aren't known for being dishonest. However if slighted, they tend to take it very personally. They have been known to hold grudges for a long time, and winning back friendships is a hard thing to do. This goes along with their military strategy as well. They keep open negotiations until they are refused. Upon this moment, they unleash their vast military might with vicious blitzkrieg and multi faceted assaults that will not stop until a full surrender is given.

They prefer ground or air superiority, however their naval forces seem to lack compared to others, mostly because their home-world didn't have abundant sources of water. Since their features are avian/raptor like- they love taking to the skies. They are stereotypically the best pilots and starfighters around, however their infantry units are certainly nothing to be dismissed. Their small arms are generally very lightweight and accurate, as well as adaptable, with interchangeable parts. Their units are highly disciplined and well trained- often participating in 'military games' at least once a year.

Their air and aeronautical forces are seen as an honorable position to hold. Second would be their Army, then civil service jobs, then the Navy. Not that the navy is even remotely seen as an unfavorable position- its just the natura

They are known mostly for their military prowess and warrior culture, but they are also very keen engineers and mechanics. Very utilitarian, but having a sleek quality to their designs. They are having a hard time as a community to ease off of their warlike tendencies- so are beginning to focus on defense and protection- filling out a lot of the law enforcement, fire protection, and other community service based jobs.

You will see a lot of Nesher as law enforcement, security, bouncers, and the like around Council space. Though it's not unheard of to listen to a Nesher pop-star, it is rather rare. They don't take much to the arts, but the ones that do find themselves quite successful. Sciences are important to them as well, though it is mostly out of necessity's sake. While obviously there are Nesher scientists, they aren't as mainstream as the other races. Medical care in nesher space is very cheap or even free. Again- to them it's all about the community, and the greater good. Sanitation is also a priority in their cities- they are often clean and fastidious people. Possibly out of pride, but also certainly to prevent disease and promote cleanliness and safety.

Their home planet was mostly arid- with slight lean toward temperate in some areas. Used to a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere. So they can breathe the same air as humans without apparatus. They are very sensitive to their surroundings and have excellent eyesight. To see one wearing glasses, or having corrective aural surgery is a rarity.

The average height is about 6' 6" for males, and about 6 feet for females. 8 feet being the tallest, and 5' 6" being some of the shortest. They are built lean- bipedal, and have front facing eyes. They favor avian or saurian features- and are tall, lanky- but lean with natural muscle. They have thin waists, and wide shoulders, and their hipbones tend to naturally protrude a bit. Their arms are (slightly longer than proportional to humans) humanoid, which end in a hand with three digits and an opposable thumb. Their hands are tipped with thick claws that need regular maintenance. Their legs are digitigrade- meaning they walk on their 'toes' rather than planting their heel on the ground. They have 3 thick toes, and their heel is wedge-like, rather than ball-like. Their shins are longer than their feet, so it can almost look plantigrade. Their skin is naturally rough to deal with - but they have feathery/hair areas as well [heads, shoulders, forearms]. They are quite physically diverse, but colors generally tend to be more drab and natural- to blend in with their home environments.

The average look is having a shade of tan skin coloration, Large scale plates on their foreheads and more 'exposed' areas [shoulders, back, thighs, etc] with darker feathery areas- like on the shoulders and atop their heads. Skin colors vary between varying shades of browns, and grays, as well as greens. Their eye colors range from pale silvery colors, yellows, greens, and browns. Their eyes are round, and near front facing. They have large iris disks, having little 'white' around them, and their pupils are black. They have eyelids that close top-down like humans for sleeping. However while awake, they have a clear membrane that slides across the eye from the inner eye to the outer corner. They are able to see through this clear membrane. Their heads are like a flattened saurian shape, and sometimes have protruding horns around their temples and jawline. Their reptilian/avian mouths have sharper teeth suited for carnivorous diets. They have slits for nostrils close together above their mouth. Their ears are not "external" but are generally covered by sensitive feathers. These are located at cheekbone level behind the eyes.

With an overabundance of humans in the universe, Human languages, or something more akin to 'Universal common' is spoken as a major language. Their original language is very staccato, often with single syllable words- mostly beginning with consonants.Their alphabet is long- and their written language is difficult to most other species.

Most Names are single syllable given name, with a two or three syllable surname and middle name. They often go by their surname, unless present with another relative. Nicknames are very common in their culture, as well.

For reproduction, they choose a single mate, and stay for life. The females lay 1-3 (4 being incredibly rare) eggs, and they hatch at around 10 months. They use the term "mate" for their chosen significant other. Females having clutches of eggs without a mate is not entirely taboo, but they do see it as non beneficial. Children of the adults take both parent surnames, female first, then male second.

Male and female temperament seem to be similarly mild. Males and females are equals in every aspect of their society, as both are similarly equal in intellectual and physical areas.

Average lifespan is quite similar to the humans these days, of an average of 120-150 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I continue working on the race I'm going to suggest, does anyone have a plot in mind for this?

I'm a fan of the "mash a crew together and let hijinks ensue" type of thing, but I think there should probably be more to it than that. Maybe if we can get something a bit more defined, we can sort out the GM situation?

@DinoFeather I agree.

Okay... soooo...
how about the basis of something ambiguous to start-
Group of people are put together for a reconnaissance - or like an audit of an assumed important asteroid? Trying to think of something that a lot of higher priced salvage, government, and / or private sector groups would be interested in, but not super familiar with yet...?

Maybe all our characters work for a large company that employs a wide variety of people. Or maybe they all work for the united government? Or a private sector group of salvagers, or something? Something that would encompass a huge variety of skills.

Maybe have to steal something from someone... Like technology. Or some data file on the above mentioned planet/asteroid. Where maybe the players are hired under false pretenses of doing something good natured, to turn out to have done something horrible?

Hmm...

@Spectre I like where you were going with the "Framed idea". It could be like a gathering of a collection of different people pulled together under false pretenses. A huge scheme could have pulled the collection of people together, forcing them into a situation where they could only rely on one another, and had to partake in some random series of objectives to clear themselves of all charges. Each person could have set of skills unique to themselves (they wouldn't even have to be different species) that they could contribute to this operation.

Also, would it be alright if I tried my hand at creating a race for this as well?

@DinoFeather
I also feel like "monsters with a near-functioning society" defines a race as not being very evolved or civilized.
I apologize, I didn't mean to make that seem so unclear, that "monster" part of my earlier comment was still referring to how the human race may perceive these other races.

• Thank You
@Mágissa Kei oh yes please, the more ideas about species in our universe, the better :p

This looks really interesting to me. I'd absolutely love to pitch in and help out with something like this! The idea regarding the group of different people/races working together for some sort of cause particularly catches my interest. I believe I might have a few of my own ideas that I could throw onto the table as well.

@Zaenephayl
Welcome aboard! Currently trying to come up with some core races and solidify a more concise plot :p

So far it looks like the motive, or reason for the crew shenanigans would be organization/government/etc. based or some sort of scheme? If resources are involved it's possible there could be rogues or bands of thieves looking to get themselves a share of the loot. Basically competition for what they're looking for and/or have found?

Also, do we have an established time frame yet? It might be of use to come up with one.

As far as races go, I have an idea that I had established beforehand. I believe it could work for what you all have going here.

Species Name: Xylok
Home world: Yilze

A generally more passive race as far as interstellar relations, but they have a rather intimidating military force. As a whole their primary economic focus is trading; mostly of material resources in bulk, in addition to weapons. They're known for having very good trading relationships with other races. Largely focused on development of technology and weapons, as well as material sciences. Most Xylok work as miners, mechanics, material scientists or traders. They are one of the more seasoned races as far as interstellar travel.

They aren't very strict in laws or leadership, almost anything goes within the race. Many typically illegal behaviors are considered the norm. Inter-racially they do tend to be a bit more aggressive. Pairs will physically duel over disputes, but abnormally do such conflicts lead to death. More violent crimes tend to be uncommon. Their more relaxed approach to a government has proven to be quite effective at keeping the race in order and still allowing them freedom; however, some other races find the method chaotic and immoral.

Yilze, their home world, is a hotter but forested planet, boasting a large number of other sentient (although insignificant) races as well as many other creatures. The planet is home to many larger cities, which are controlled mostly by the Xylok, but is also dotted with villages and smaller towns.The foliage and flora are darker in color, with blue being a common color among it. The trees and other plants are much larger, resulting in the race being well suited for climbing and running around the tree-tops.

The atmosphere is quite a bit thinner than Earth's with only a fifth of the oxygen content. The Xylok can however breath in much more oxygen-rich atmospheres due to an evolutionary quirk. They are capable of filtering out and removing most extra unneeded gases (in moderation) as well regulating the frequency in which they breath in order to adjust. This can become a weakness if they are put in physically intensive or stressful situations, however.

They are humanoid, and tend to appear more muscular, especially at the legs. They are taller, with both genders being relatively equal in height. The average would be roughly around 8'7" with 10' being considered tall and 7'5" being about as short as they can get (discounting horns). The race is relatively thin-skinned due to the warmer climate and are feather/fur-less. Skin tones range from a dark charcoal color to a light ash color, with more bluish variants possible as well. Their legs are longer in proportion to the rest of their body and have a sort of additional ankle halfway up the lower half of their leg. This extra joint is primarily used as an extra shock-absorber for large falls. Their arms are also a bit longer and well suited for climbing. Fingers and toes are slightly more claw-like. They have horns, which can differ in style but are most commonly curved upwards (like a bull's horns) or shaped much like ram's horns. These can range from about 2' in length to up to 5'. It isn't uncommon for the horns to be cut into along the top side, carved into, or even painted. They sport tails, which have an arrowhead shaped tip mostly used as a weapon. These extra appendages can be as long as 1.5x their body length and are hyper flexible.

Their heads are more skull-shaped, with the skin looking as if it was fitted tightly over the bone. They most commonly have four eyes but may have up to six. Only one pair of eyes have visible pupils/irises, which are most often a bright red, yellow, or orange. The pupils are bio luminescent. The eyes appear to be nestled further back into their skull, the rest of the eye a black color with eye-lids almost completely invisible. They generally have multiple sets of nostrils as well as multiple slit-like ears behind the horns. Their teeth are also exposed with up to two pairs larger-fang like teeth towards the middle of each side of the jaw.

With a lack of proper lips they do have some trouble speaking English and create most sounds with clever use of their flexible forked tongue. To normal English speakers, they would have a very demonic accent as well. They have multiple commonly used languages, which are composed of complex patterns of growls, hisses and clicks. The written forms of these languages are extraordinary hard to learn, with dozens of symbols/letters and multiple variants of each letter for different words or purposes.
(That turned out a lot longer than I thought it would...)

I'm going to suggest that our group is a third party prospector group. While still legal, and loyal to the major governing bodies, take contracts for work from other sources as well. Colloquially called "nomads", "procurers", "striders", or some such thing

They work salvage, and looking for resources, or procuring all sorts of information, data, or cargo.

This means the group employs all kinds of different races, and have all sorts of needs of different skillsets.

Maybe theyre sent out to an asteroid to look for suspected raw materials.

Or an abandoned ship (hit by something, like space junk or a meteor or something, and couldnt mantain air pressure so evacuated), where they have to retrieve it's "black box" or something.

Or maybe on the way back from their audit, they come across a dead ship to get its black box? Lol...

Either way... whatever they were sent out for is rather mundane, but they happen to find something there, or on their way back, that intrigues them- turning out to be more than they bargained for....?
--------

Also thinking at least 500 years into the future. Hyperdrive tech? Warp tech? Humans Set to the stars maybe 300 years ago. Came across an elder race about 200 years after travelling about, colonizing space stations and bits of planets. Made peace quickly after a decade of negotiations and peace deals. Sharing tech, and languages, they Introduced us to the other races, and the governing alliance. Slowly integrating for the next 90 years...?

I think once we get the main races set up, a history will easier present itself.
------

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Hey are you guys still looking for more players/brainstormers? I'm really interested in this!

You asked earlier for some interesting details on humans right? Little known fact is humans didn't make it to the top of the food chain based solely on our intellect. We have one of the most durable bodies on the planet. A broken bone for any other species is pretty much a death sentence but we heal from it within months and it doesn't really even slow us down when it is broken. We also can track something for days with little to no sleep. The main way the human race used to hunt was to literally follow it till it died of exhaustion. The reason dogs were trained is because they were able to keep up with us. So incorporating that into how other species treat humans would be neat.

I like the prospector angle it gives you a wide range of work. You could be well known in certain circles as people who can get things. Which could be anything from information to capturing a wanted man.

Hi there @GroggyFrog ! You make the sixth person to show interest. Which i'm grateful for! Welcome aboard.

I'm not sure how many are deciding to stick around. Haven't heard from a few folks since their intro post. I'm not sure if that's loss of interest, or folks who just don't have the time to get on every day [like myself].

I know @DinoFeather seems active, as well as @Mágissa Kei

@Zaenephayl just posted up with some ideas

I think i'm curious about @Dipper and @Hunter of Shadows and their involvement. Not that i'm 'questioning' your involvement, I just want to check in on you folks :)

I'm also going to be editing the first post with some updated information once we get more solid concrete ideas going. That way we have somewhere to refer to- rather than continuously looking around for peoples' specific posts for game info.

I've been quietly watching from the shadows, trying to see what alien races you guys come up with. I've got ideas of my own, but I'm not sure how well they'd mesh.

I'd personally prefer a more adventurous tale, rather than another 'rag-tag group of miners/scavengers/whatevers' kind of deal, but that's just me. If that's what you've got in mind, I'll try to think of a race that might fit in.

Still around, but particularly busy at the moment. I do side with @Dipper on preferring something more adventurous, but I'll certainly try to make my ideas fit in with whatever is decided.

• Thank You
Oh certainly. that's just an idea that popped into my head and figured i'd start somewhere. That particular idea just allows for a lot of diversity, as well as quite a lot of freedom.

More than happy to hear some more ideas :) . What do you feel would make the RP start off, or sound more adventurous?

also, @Dipper , feel free to unload some ideas that roll around your head. I know you said you're not sure how well they'd mesh- but then again- how does any completely different intelligent species 'mesh'? haha.

Well if we are gonna start throwing plot ideas out there we could of been hired to scout out the uncharted systems of the galaxy by a non-government 3rd party and stumble upon this huge conspiracy that puts us on the run from the law. We would run at first but then realize that we would have to fight since we are the only ones who know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.