Last edited:
When he got the War Room, Logan didn't take a seat. His eyes went right to this woman Fandral had called Deputy Director Hill, staring her down. "So you're this Deputy I've heard about. Name's Logan, but you know that. I don't know who I was expecting, but it wasn't you." Logan shrugged and leaned back on the wall. "Still. Better than me taking over. Or pretty boy there. What do you bring to our circus?"

Maria regarded Logan with skeptical eyes. "Fair enough, you're shorter than I thought. I am Maria Hill, Deputy Director of SHIELD. I have other qualifications, but I think the only one you'd be interested in is that I'm the best Beer Pong player you'll ever meet. Maybe we can play a game or two before this whole thing is over." Maria finished with a small smile from her chair at the head of the long table. Noting nobody seemed keen on taking a seat anyway, she didn't bother asking them to sit. It wasn't going to be a long meeting anyway.

"Thank you all for coming, and not cutting and running in light of the unfortunate legal trouble that's taken away Captain Rogers. I will repeat that I had nothing to do with that, and by extension neither did SHIELD. I consulted with Director Fury, and he thinks HYDRA could be, since your actions at the docks let them know they won't be unopposed. Which means they're nervous. This is backed up by the fact that there have been no movements linked to HYDRA since. Now, that means HYDRA is lying low, so his orders are for us to lie low as well until we have intel to move on. That means we're going to have some time to get better acquainted, and train with each other. You see..." Maria stood up and gestured at all of them in general.

"..SHIELD's strength is not in our tech, or the years of experience vested in each agent and operative. Our strength is in how we all coordinate from the top down, within a lab to the field. That is also HYDRA's strength too; all that 'Hail Hydra' and the really nerdy way they exaggerate their numbers, it contributes to a larger goal. We need to build that same strength or we will dent with each mission until we shatter and HYDRA wins. That means we are going to be working on putting aside our pettiness at least for the time being. Jones." She looked at the woman. "You and I? I feel we got something good going already, so let's build on that, but I'm gonna ask that you train with Ward for now. Try not to break anything vital like that mug of his. It's won the right hearts and won the day before." She said, then shifted to Laura "You, have already proven your worth to me. I want you sparring with Fandral. An Asgardian might actually give you a proper workout." She looked between Logan and Deadpool as she spoke next.

"And you two. Don't know if you've had history, but I have a good sense of when two people have something to work out. Spar it out then bro it out, just try not to get the base too bloody, okay? Speaking of which; Deadpool, your dog, you clean up after him and walk him or you're both getting crated when we sleep."

Finally she spoke to Noir and the twins. "You..Fedora guy. I know the least about you and also about the kids, so the four of us are going to spar and train to fix that."

Maria took a breath and sat down again crossing her arms over her chest. "If you can't abide by my command or at least one of my commands, you know the door."

Last edited by a moderator:
Noir

Training session? Understandable. Peter hadn't shown off his powers to anyone since he got here. And for good reason, he didn't want people to know how he worked. The element of surprise. The works.

But, that type of attitude would only hinder him if he was going to be of some assistance in finding the source of these attacks. "Don't mind a spar. Just don't expect any of those fancy moves." He said. Not wanting to spoil the surprise of his powers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quicksilver

"No offense, Mrs. Maria. But I don't think a spar session would work well with my sister and I. Training will not be an issue. Unless it involves a treadmill. The Professor kinda prohibited me from using them after I broke five of them." Pietro said, looking at Maria. The story behind the treadmill comment was not a good one.

@Camleen @Ms.Ezra @Gands @MST3K 4ever @Dunruffle @Sir Kaltao @LuckycoolHawk9

Reactions: MST3K 4ever
And so orders were given. The pairings settled on. It was Maria's intention to start to bring them together as a group. As a whole, and not just separate little pieces that happen to be dwelling under the same roof. More than a 'ragtag' group, so to speak. With some reluctance on the part of a few of them, they did abide Maria's orders. Which, in of itself, is an expression of the potential for team right there. Even with doling out these basic orders, the lovely Deputy Director has already started this group on their way to being a cohesive unit.

But they aren't there yet. Not by a longshot.

So the pairings are carried out, the smaller groups beginning to see aspects of one another they couldn't have seen otherwise. Which was kind of the point of all of this. Now time moves on, and Shield has been working to better equip the base. Seal up any security flaws… even putting up with Deadpool's 'suggestions' about security. And putting up with the mutt reluctantly.

But they've enjoyed having Munch around.

Fandral has been helping to make small meals for the group, which have been received well of course. Some even commenting he's as good with a spatula as a sword. Laura has been… Laura. Being distant, quiet. And while she has been seen hanging out with Wanda (and by hanging out you can infer that means she has been in the same general area as her a lot).

It's been 2 weeks since Deputy Director Hill gave them all their mini-assignments. The base's security is in a much more respectable place now. The bunk area is now divided into smaller rooms. 2 beds to a room. About the size of a small dorm room. For every 2 'dorm' rooms, there is now 1 washroom. So that's kind of an improvement. Yes, the base had to be expanded a little. But that's okay, right? Maybe in the future they'll get a bigger place.

Morning comes, as it usually does about this time of day. The upgrades to the base are about all the way completed, the 'dorms' are pretty much set though. This would be the first day they would be able to be accessed by the group. And thereby resided in. The Deputy Director has been informed about the new living arrangements, and now it's up to her to decide how they go about filling the rooms.

Hydra has been quiet this whole time. Perhaps they have forgotten the whole world domination thing. Maybe not. The world still feels… unstable. Like some major event could tip things one way or another. And probably not in a good way. Others have recognized this… and one in particular will be carrying out his own plans soon..

Steve was ushered into "the courtroom" under heavy armed guard as was the custom for the last two weeks. The courtroom was a basic white walled room with florescent lights overhead, two tables, a two-tier desk which functioned as the Judge's Bench, and an area with five chairs for the jury. The worse part was he was in heavy duty shackles as well even when he was in his cell. He had enough movement to feed himself and to use the bathroom but that was it. This was done since Gyrich determined that someone with his abilities could be a threat at any moment and convinced the court to see things his way. Steve was the model prisoner in this setting. Treated everyone with respect, no arguments what so ever, and never even giving a hint of hostility.

While Steve had been assured constantly by Sue that Matt had things well in hand Steve wasn't so sure. He knew the charges were paper-thin, the evidence was circumstantial, and quotes taken out of context, but there were moments Steve believed that he might be guilty. On the outside though, it looked like Murdock was just rolling along with anything and everything that the Government was dishing out. However, Sue knew exactly what Matt was doing in the courtroom. He was letting Gyrich and his team have enough rope to hang themselves. Not to mention, She and Matt had gone on more than a few "field trips" at night thanks to someone called "a good Samaritan" feeding them anonymous tips which were pointing them in some very interesting directions.

Sitting next to Matt and Sue as the guards walked away to stand at the back of the room. Steve said, "Good morning everyone."

Sue replied, "Hey there Cap."

Matt was running his fingers over printed paper. Steve couldn't understand how Matt was able to read merely by running his fingers over the ink. Sue told Steve that was just one of his gifts and to not worry about it. He said, "I overheard some very disturbing news in their elevator this morning."

Steve asked, "How did you do that?" He shook his head and asked, "Never mind forget I asked. What was it?"

Matt replied, "Steve, they're going to wrap it up this morning at which time you will be found guilty. They plan on hauling you away to a testing facility in the mountains where they plan on studying your cells so they can try to replicate the serum." Matt set the folder down and said, "They have a special assault team ready to move in at a moment's notice to attack the base and capture anyone on the team with meta-human abilities, or who is a mutant. I did some checking on the jury via our good Samaritan…" Matt shook his head and said, "They're all in with Gyrich. They've already made their decision about you. The Judge though is actually impartial so they got that part right."

Steve let out an exhale and for the first time in two weeks he gave serious consideration to using his powers to escape. He steadied himself and asked, "What about anyone who doesn't have powers?"

Matt replied, "It's going to look like X-23 and Logan went berserk and killed them."

Nodding very slowly Steve said, "All-right then. If this thing goes wrong I'm taking Gyrich out. He's probably the only one in contact with his assault team. That will buy you and Sue enough time to get out of here. Make sure Sue contacts the base and warns them. Then you all run to Canada and don't look back."

Sue said, "Lighten up Steve we got this. In about five to ten minutes the Judge is going to dismiss the charges, and Gyrich is going to be left scrambling to do damage control." Sue had told Steve more than once this was Matt's arena and there was no way he was going to lose to Gyrich. She had every confidence in the world in him. Watching Matt lull Gyrich and his cronies into a sense of false security made Sue smile constantly.

Steve looked over to Sue who smiled and gave a slow nod. Matt was using every fiber of his being to keep from smiling as Gyrich and his platoon of lawyers and cronies followed him in. He sat down wearing a dark blue Armani suit with a white shirt and a red tie and once again wearing his dark glasses. He looked over to the defense and said, "Rogers, Councilor, and hello Sweet Cheeks. Ready to put an end to this charade today? Because the way I see it…" He lowered his voice and said, "No offense Murdock, but the way it's shaping up right now you all have no realistic chance of winning."

Murdock stood up and walked over to the prosecution table. He looked in Gyrich's direction and said," Justice is blind Gyrich and that gives me an advantage. Just do me one favor though. When this is all over and Captain Rogers is exonerated don't rely on the cliché of 'this isn't over I'll get even with you all for this.' That crap is so boring." Matt started to walk away but turned back around and leaned into Gyrich and said, "And if you ever call Sue that name again I will rip your heart out through your throat." He then delivered a fast jab with two knuckles into Gyrich's chest which made him gasp for a second. Matt walked away and sat in between Rogers and Sue.

Just then two more guards walked from the front of the room with the five jurors and the Judge. One of the guards announced, "All rise." Everyone stood up as the guard announced, "This special tribunal concerning the case against Captain Steven G. Rogers, also known as Captain America, is back in session. The Honorable Secretary Thaddeus J. Ross presiding."

Ross picked up a gavel tapped it twice and said, "You all maybe seated." Everyone sat down and Ross turned to the prosecution and asked, "Does the prosecution have anything further to add?"

The prosecutor replied, "The people rest comfortably your honor."

Ross turned to the defense and asked, "Mr. Murdock, if you have nothing else you wish to add I am prepared to turn this over to the jury. Is there anything else you wish to add?"

Matt stood up and replied, "Just one last thing your honor. The defense wishes to recall Special Agent Henry Gyrich to the stand."

Ross nodded and replied, "Special Agent Gyrich will take the stand." As Gyrich approached the stand Ross said, "Remember Special Agent Gyrich you're still under oath." Gyrich looked towards Ross and replied, "Of course your honor."

Gyrich took a seat and said, "Ready whenever you are councilor. Although please make it fast I have a ten o'clock tee-time with Senators Stein, Kelly and Ryan."

Matt nodded and said, "Oh don't worry Special Agent Gyrich this won't take long." Matt pulled out a folder from his brief case and just held it in his hand as he approached Gyrich. He asked, "Tell me Special Agent Gyrich what do you know about Project: Thunderbolts?"

Gyrich shifted in his seat ever so slightly. Matt could hear the heart-rate of Gyrich kick up a couple of beats more as Gyrich asked, "Project: Thunderbolts? What's that?" Matt also heard several other heart rates pickup as well.

Matt replied, "Well it seems it's a project you and your golfing buddies are working on under the auspice of Section G-44."

Gyrich said, "There is no G-44."

Matt nodded and replied, "Interesting. Then could you please tell me why your signature is one of the ones at the bottom of this order?" He pulled out a packet stapled together of three pages and gave one to Gyrich and Ross as well. Matt looked to Sue and said, "Would you please give one copy to each member of the jury. Thank you, Sue."

Sue handed each one to the jury. Gyrich asked, "This is classified. How did you get this information?"

Matt replied, "Well logic tells us Special Agent Gyrich if this section G-44 doesn't exist then how can this order be classified?" Matt smirked as he said, "I got it anonymously in the mail." Matt walked over to his brief case and pulled out an envelope addressed to his law office.

Ross began reading through it and Matt could tell Ross was furious by his breathing. Matt said, "I'll cut to the chase sir. That document states that Special Agent Gyrich was going to take not only Captain Rogers into custody but eventually his entire unit of meta-humans and mutants and basically dissect them. Once that was over he along with several scientists of questionable morality would then create his own unit very much like Captain Rogers' team. With one huge difference, they would be loyal to Special Agent Gyrich. Defense enters this paper in as exhibit A."

Gyrich squirmed slightly in the chair as he said, "Anyone could forge my name your honor. This is pure fantasy concocted by the Defense team to save a fallen war hero who thinks because he aided in the war efforts over 70 years ago that he is above the law now. He isn't even really a soldier your honor. He was given the rank of Captain by a PR team, and Eisenhower let him keep on playing soldier."

Murdock replied, "That's possible that your name was forged but why? We'll get back to that in a minute." Matt walked over to his brief case and pulled out another folder and asked, "I realize to do this kind of operation requires a great deal of wealth, so you had to go to several outside sources. Would you care if Sue read a list of them Special Agent Gyrich?"

Matt opened up the folder and giving it to Sue she said, "Let's see here Trask Industries, Alchemax, The Brand Corporation, wow you got Oscorp on-board very impressive Henry, Stark Industries as well impressive, Hammer Tech…"

Gyrich then said, "That list is a lie." Gyrich shook his head and replied, "Because Stark isn't on board they…." Just then Gyrich stopped as Matt heard the heart rates of several people go into overdrive.

Murdock turned to him and asked, "How do you know that Special Agent Gyrich? How do you know Tony Stark isn't involved?"

The courtroom was dead silent. Ross then said, "The witness will answer the question."

Gyrich let out an exhale as he said, "At this time your honor I invoke my Fifth Amendment right."

Ross turned to Matt and asked, "May I see the list Mr. Murdock?"

Matt got the folder from Sue and gave him the folder. Ross said looking through it, "The pages in here are blank."

Matt turned to Gyrich and said, "That's right. I asked if he would care if Sue read a list I never said I had a list. Care to see if I have any more tricks up my sleeve Gyrich? I'm giving you a choice Gyrich. Either drop the charges against Captain Rogers right now or I will destroy your career and that of your entire team. Right now, I would be more concerned about the leak in your organization that you need to deal with if I were you. In the interest of National Security I will co-sign on an order to have the records and transcripts sealed as well so at least your career is left intact."

Gyrich looked over to the Prosecutor's table and gave a nod. The Prosecutor stood up and said, "Your Honor the people move that…"

Ross nodded and replied, "I know what's coming Councilor." He looked to Rogers and said, "Captain Steven G. Rogers please rise." Steve stood up and said, "Captain your service record is the kind that a soldier can't even begin to dream of. I look at it and I am amazed on every level, and humbled to know a man such as yourself. I not only dismiss the charges but I order your record to be expunged of this entire incident." Ross gaveled twice and said, "We are adjourned."

Gyrich got up and walked towards Murdock. He said, "Listen up good Murdock you have no idea the Hell you just opened up. I assure you when I am through with you, you will be begging the Devil himself to save you from me."

Murdock turned to Gyrich and began to laugh. Slowly at first but then he was laughing long and hard. Gyrich walked away and then looked at Rogers. He said, "And you, one day I will know your secret and you and your team will be working for me. One day Rogers, I will beat you."

Steve turned to Gyrich and said, "Gyrich." Gyrich turned back to him and Steve said, "You want to fight me? Fine anytime you know where I am. Just be warned though, I am not a third-rate terrorist who will be chained to a jail house floor that you can just beat on…" Steve flexed his muscles and the shackles snapped like tin foil. He said, "I'm an American soldier and..." He pinched the cuffs at wrists which shattered and the dropped them at Gyrich's feet and said, "I will fight back, and if you don't order your assault team to stand down now I will settle the score with us right now."

Gyrich swallowed hard and said into his cuff, "Alpha force stand down and return to base. I repeat stand down and return to base." He walked away saying to his team, "Let's get out of here."

Rogers looked at Matt and said, "Thank you Matt." Matt stuck his hand out and replied, "You're welcome Steve." The two men shook hands and Steve said, "Listen I could use a guy like you on my team."

Matt took his hand back and replied, "Thanks Steve, but I'm more of a street fighter not a solider. Although if you ever need my help again call me and I'll help wherever I can."

Steve said, "Fair enough. I gotta know how did you all find out about Thunderbolts and the names of the backers?"

Sue replied, "We've been getting several anonymous tips from someone that led us to certain files. The names are only a partial list. The leak came from someone who saw a certain Devil last night."

The door opened and Nick Fury strolled in with two-armed SHIELD agents carrying two boxes. He turned to the team and said, "Well done Councilor. Very impressive work."

Matt smiled and said, "Why thank you Director Fury, or should I say my anonymous source."

Fury looked at Murdock for a moment and replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about Murdock."

Murdock said, "Director Fury even through electronic distortion I recognize your speech pattern and certain other speech factors."

Fury replied, "Well maybe I guided you along the way. I couldn't get directly involved because it could've compromised SHIELD. I do have something to give you Mr. Murdock." Fury motioned for the two agents to step forward and they set their boxes down. He said, "Outside." The agents left and Fury said to Murdock, "Go ahead and open it up. I know you can."

Murdock bent over and ripped open the tape on the box. He opened it revealing a dark red suit with two-interlocking D's. Fury said, "I figured you needed some form of compensation for your work. It's a SHIELD advanced survival suit specifically designed for you. Touch the D's in the center of the chest and the suit contracts to fit in your brief case."

Matt nodded and contracted the suit. He said, "Thank you Director Fury." Nick replied, "I also did some checking on that list you found last night. There was one name you missed, Fisk Industries." Matt stood up and looked at Fury who said, "I thought that might get your attention. This thing going on is so huge I could use a street fighter like yourself to deal with Wilson Fisk directly."

Matt replied, "I may not be an official agent for SHIELD, but think of me as a free-lancer for you."

Nick said, "Works for me." He turned to Rogers and said, "You know that there is no way I am sending you back to the base dressed in those rags." Rogers opened the box and saw his Captain America uniform. He smiled and said, "It never looked so good. Thanks Nick." Nick pulled out a black Kevlar suit and gave it to Sue. He said, "I figured you might be ready to get back to work." Sue took the suit and replied, "Am I ever."

Nick nodded and he and Rogers saw that Matt and Sue were looking towards one another. Nick said, "I'll bet you need a place to change Cap." Steve replied, "You know you're right." Steve gathered his uniform and said, "Let's just go find one right now I'm ready to get out of here." Nick looked at Matt and said, "I'll leave a SHIELD agent outside the room to get you back to the city Murdock. We'll talk again sometime."

Nick and Steve left leaving only Matt and Sue in the room. Sue said, "I love watching you work in a courtroom." Matt started to put things in his briefcase and replied, "Thanks Sue. I couldn't have done this one without you." Matt closed his case and said, "Well now what? I can't act like being so close to you these weeks hasn't stirred certain feelings in me again."

Sue said, "I know and I would be lying if I said it hasn't been the same for me. Then again, you would know if I was lying." She let out an exhale and said, "But face it Matt, our lives are still out of synch with one another and with what I got going now and your fight with The Kingpin…" Sue shook her head and said, "I don't see that changing anytime soon."

Matt took a deep breath and asked, "You once said one day when our worlds aligned you believed that there would be time for us. Do you still believe that?"

Sue approached Matt and replied, "A couple of weeks ago I would've said no. Now, well while the door may not exactly be open it's unlocked at least."

Sue gently touched Matt's face. Matt took a step forward and the two of them embraced. Sue rested her forehead against his and said, "Take care of yourself Matthew." Matt replied, "You too Sue." The two gently kissed one another and Sue then walked away. Sue found a room to change in and slipped on the Kevlar suit.

Sue reached the outside and saw Steve now in his Captain America uniform standing next to his Harley. She shook her head and said, "Well it still looks good on you."

Steve nodded and looked at Sue and said, "Hop on. We got a job to do."

With that Steve and Sue sped off back to the base. They approached the base and Steve entered his access code. He entered the base without saying a word to anyone and stood in the middle of the command center. He called out, "Avengers Assemble!"

He waited until everyone was in there and said, "We are now known as The Avengers. We will avenge what HYDRA has done and we will avenge those who cannot protect themselves."

Steve turned to Hill and said, "Well done Maria." He looked back to everyone else and said, "All right everyone give me a status report."

Interactions/Mentions:
@Ms.Ezra
@Camleen
@Sir Kaltao

Last edited:
New York City
Hells Kitchen

Wilson Fisk stood in his penthouse furious.

"Wesley, I want to know who decided to join any of my money to this imbecile Gyrich, he isn't any better than Hydra themselves".

"Sir, I have followed up on this for you today, and as of today at Noon, the primary source of that decision has disappeared. Most unfortunate sir.

"Good, finish cleaning up this mess before that damned Murdock gets back to his office. "

"Understood sir, everything will be cleaned up, I assure you. What about Gyrich ?

" Send Henry Gyrich a subtle anonymous message please. Something that says mentioning our involvement would be particularly bad "

259e487d79007c286381d5d6c1db5575.jpg

Wilson Fisk got where he is by being smart, efficient and ruthless. He and Wesley had discussed a backup plan like this before. Truly he personally had no intention of adding to Gyrich's war chest, some overly ambitious moron in one of his management departments decidedly had played one game of golf too many with the government man. Tonight, the hand would eliminate all of Gyrich's personal homeland security bodyguards.

In recent weeks he has had to be more careful with security. Getting between Gyrich and Shield is really not a good idea, not good for business, not good for personal safety. It is likely that Hydra has eyes and ears out there too. Significant security measures have been upgraded all over the company, and of course... here in the penthouse.

@Camleen @MST3K 4ever

Jessica hadn't abandoned her home or her office, but she had been spending a lot of time at the "base" as well.

Training wasn't bad - it helped her focus. Still, the whole thing felt like an exercise in futility.

And yet... She was about to quit this facade and go back to her life when she got a letter in the mail... One that she checked the veracity of immediately.

Jessica Jones:

In the interest of my employer, we have extended a more substantial retainer for your services. Please find enclosed the deed to the building Alias Investigations resides in. An unfortunate series of building code violations forced the owner to sell at a vastly reduced cost. My employer has entrusted you to the care of the building as he has utmost confidence that you will be an excellent landlord. Your pay will be consummate with your performance.

- W

Also in the envelope we're the master keys for the building. Sure, it was a sad little 4-Story building but he'd put it in HER name!

"Shit. I have to figure out how to get out of this... Eventually."

So, Jessica now was in far too deep both with SHIELD and the Kingpin.

"Why me?" She mused, looking over the deed while sitting in the TV room at the base.

@MST3K 4ever @Camleen @Gands @Ms.Ezra @Dunruffle @LuckycoolHawk9 @The Wanderer @ whomever I missed

• Nice Execution!
Fandral the Loyal

Fandral had spent the last couple of weeks working with the others here at the ... Avengers ... Base. He had become quite fond of the young lady he had been sparring with. He had gone out of his way to share a room with Wade. It seemed to him that Wade has had trouble adjusting to being a troll blood. Fandral has taken over the cooking chores, but usually gets help washing and cleaning up afterwards.

About in the middle of the second week, he reported to Heimdall.

" Greetings Heimdall, keeper of the bridge. I send you word from Midgard. The war here is in it's early stages. I have been selected for a special team. All good folk and I am certain the enemy will feel our wrath soon"

His feelings of his teammates have changed with familiarity. Logan reminds him of his friend Hogun the grim. Stalwart and as loyal to you, as you are to him....Wade was his first new friend in New York. He still felt that Wade is a true friend, although at least a little bit stuck in his own brand of madness though. The young woman, X 23 is a fascinating subject that he hasn't reached all the way just yet. But when the chips are down, she would be there, he was certain.

Wanda is not an outgoing girl and sticks close to her brother and Logan. What he had seen of her abilities left him impressed. Pietro, also known as mister impossibly fast often seems bored, but what a fantastic asset. Jones, not unlike some of the others here has a few jagged edges, but seems clever and very strong.

He cant bring himself to like the two Shield agents. But, neither does he dislike them. Hill is a capable enough leader. Ward does seem capable too.

Susan seems very likeable to him, but hasn't been around much. Captain Rogers is very likeable, very capable and very charismatic.

The base seems much better now. Lost of room, good security and no further trouble from rival government entities. He doesn't sleep too many hours, what little free time he has left he spends watching old movies.

Grant Ward

Two weeks was a long time, but sometimes it happened so quickly. He hadn't even realized that so much time had passed, but he had seen the changes to the base. It seemed that everyone at least tolerated everyone and that was a good thing indeed. He was relieved when Captain America came back as he felt things were returning back to normal, or as normal as they got around here as it would seem. He turned to the Captain when he asked him the question. " So far, we have two creditable threats from SHIELD. One is an attack by mutants on a nuclear soviet submarine and the other is on the UN. Other then that, I haven't heard anything," he replied to the captain.

Lincoln Campbell

Lincoln tapped his 'phone'. " The captain is on his way back to the base." He listened to the person on the other end and nodded. " Understood," he said, as he heard something over the broadcast. After he was finished with this, he finished his call and ate some cereal and went to the hospital to do a shift.

@Gands @Camleen @Ms. Ezra @Sir Kaltao @Michale CS @MST3K 4ever @Others

LauraBanner001B.jpg

The area outside of the base wasn't exactly in the city. It was kind of cut off from the city, in fact. In fields. And that's for a reason. It's nestled in the middle of nowhere.. hard to find that way. Harder to approach unseen.

Laura likes these wide open spaces. Living your life in what amounts to a small prison cell gives you appreciation for the great wide open, under the skies of blue.

And that's where she is now. She has found her tree. A big and strong tree in the short distance from their base. She sits upon one of its thick and ancient branches, her legs dangling down as she stares at the far horizon. One hand is planted upon the bark of the branch, her other absently rubbing the locket dangling from her choker. She spends a lot of time out here. When she's not being ordered to spar with this person or that person (she's become quite adept to being the sparring partner of anyone that asks, as she knows a thing or two about fighting styles)… or when she's not on guard duty… or cooking with Fandral… or watching Bonanza. As a few may have come across, she has nearly every episode of Bonanza saved on the base's shared DVR system. God help the person that erases one of the episodes without her permission.

Her long and dark hair sways gently as the warm breezes draws across the landscape, her head tilting up with the subtle gusts of wind. On instinct, she takes in the scents carried on the air. Just as she has always done subconsciously. She sits in that tree for almost 2 hours… just staring out at seeming nothing.

And then something new is carried upon the winds, whispering to her of possible danger. The smell of an engine (more accurately the exhaust) is carried downwind to her. And a moment or two later, the sound of a rumbling Harley. She easily gets to her feet and crouches upon her branch, staring in the direction of the approaching vehicle. She's heard that engine before..

From the distance she sees who it is. Steven and Sue… and no one is chasing them with guns, so that's a good sign. She is unmoving as she watches them, and as they slow near the base she pushes herself to her feet, perfectly balanced on the branch. Another reason she chose this tree as 'her' tree is that it's in a good tactical location. She can keep an eye on things while not keeping an eye on things. Steve and Sue get off the bike, and now Laura hops down from her branch to a lower branch. She sways a moment on that branch, then she jumps to the ground. She lands in a roll, and goes into a smooth jog towards the base.

She knows she's part of the team. Some have even tried to make her feel welcome. But she still finds herself hesitating. She still isn't absolutely sure where she stands with Captain America. They haven't exactly addressed that yet. But Logan said to not push it, to let Steve handle it as he wishes. And so that's what she'll do.

Steve enters his access code, and Laura is walking behind Sue silently. She too says nothing as she walks with them down the corridor towards the Command Center. She isn't sure she should be here… but until she is ordered to go away, she has nowhere else to be. And so she'll be a part of this if she can. They reach the Command Center… and Captain America announces their new moniker.

'Avengers'? Sounds like something from a comic book. Or a good movie. One of those.

Laura situates herself just inside of the door to the Command Center (and off to the side a little to not block the doorway)… and the Captain asks for a status report from everyone. Laura's arms fold over her midsection as she stands there, not saying anything. She's not sure what she's supposed to say. 'I haven't murdered any of the people you left me with. Sir.' That sounds fine in her head, but she knows it'll sound dumb if she says it out loud.

Tagging: @Ms.Ezra, @Gands, @LuckycoolHawk9, @Dunruffle, @Michale CS, @Sir Kaltao, @Furasian

"Avengers Assemble!"

Mariah had been in her quarters when she heard the echo of Captain America's voice, calling them out. She had been getting ready to train with the twins again, and so arrived in her black shorts and t-shirt with her hair tied back. The past two weeks had been interesting. The Twins were progressing well enough. Pietro still had some catching up to do, ironically, but was getting there. She'd even at one point complimented Logan on his training of Wanda in particular. Of course the gruff man hadn't offered her much in return. Which was fine. She'd always had a thing for the rough men of few words.

"Welcome back Captain, and-" Mariah started, but Ward gave all the intel she'd had before she could get in a word. She tried her best not to give Ward a 'Really?' look and succeeded in remaining stalwart, professional, while everyone gives their reports then goes into hers. "Team was well-behaved, cooperative, or else they wouldn't be here. Of note there was a minor security concern after you left, but since then no other disturbance. Evidently whoever it was just wanted to peek, and left. Peeping tom at the worst." She gave a salute.

"Glad to have you back Captain."

Wanda Maximoff

Wanda continued to work out both with and without her powers. She felt she was in good shape. She had been working with Deputy Director Hill and seemed to achieve a bit of surprise with the other woman as to the degree of her training. She did owe that to Uncle Logan's harsh training regimen.

She and Fandral had spent time throwing some of the others. Wanda also spent time throwing up the t.k. shield in a moment's notice. She slept at nights across from older brother Pietro.

She had been given a blue jumpsuit without insignia that was lightly armored. She selected a number of things to put in her many pockets, like duct tape. She looked over at Deadpool, cause you never know !

@Dunruffle @MST3K 4ever @Camleen @Ms.Ezra @Michale CS @LuckycoolHawk9
@Sir Kaltao @The Wanderer

"The Hell..?" Jessica mused. But, she went to see what was going on. "Avengers..." She rolled her eyes.

She would have to let Rogers know of her situation soon, but it would be in a one on one conversation.

Logan had thought of many things he'd rather do than train with Deadpool and getting to know him. Beer pong with Hill was near the top. But Logan had complied and spent most of his time with Deadpool in the training area.

Of course the two men hadn't complied too well with the stipulation they had to keep the training area as bloodless as possible. There was probably enough blood and sweat from their sessions to make an army of Logans and Wades.

When Hill had chewed them out over it the first time, he'd been quick to defend himself that Wade had been the one to whip out a gun and escalate things. Where he'd hidden it, nobody wanted to know for certain. Hence there was now a large sign at the door stating no guns were allowed in the training area.

In their own violent way, the two men had come to an odd understanding. They weren't friends per say, but he was at least not one to give Wade grief when he wasn't actively being himself.

Logan was actually in the kitchen with Wade after a session when Captain America came back. He still had rips and holes in his jeans and black shirt with drying blood. When the call came, Logan bit off the cap of the beer bottle and spit it into the trash. "Come on then Wade, let's see what Cap has in mind for us now."

Arriving at the command center, Logan hung back drinking his beer, trying not to scoff audibly at the name Cap had decided for them. Avengers? Seemed to entail they would be failing a bit if they would always be 'avenging' people.

When Ward mentioned the attack, supposedly by mutants, on a nuclear submarine, Logan shoot a look over at him and Hill. "Why the hell weren't we sent out right away for that? Didja think keeping me palling around with Chuckles was more important?"

@Dunruffle @LuckycoolHawk9 @MST3K 4ever

Wade had been resistant to training with Logan at first. After being soundly beaten the first few times, Wade snuck in a machine pistol to even the odds. Needless to say Hill was not amused by the carnage that ensued. Wade's defense was that Logan had built in knives on his hands while he only had bare fists. But Hill did not care and immediately put up a sign banning firearms in the training room.

The next sparring session resulted in Munch being confined to the dorm room. As when he witnessed Wade being "attacked" by Logan, Munch immediately launched himself at Logan and tried mauling him to death. It took both Fandral and Wanda to pry Munch off of Logan and calm him down. After that, Munch was confined to the dorm area whenever Wade and Logan sparred to prevent any further mishaps. After several trips outside to let Munch relieve himself, Wade invested in a swath of fake turf designed specifically for indoor dogs. It was placed in an unused small storage closet that soon became known as Munch's room. Wade took it upon himself to make a doggie door so Munch could go in and out without needing someone to open the door. As time went on, Munch's room became decorated with various odds and ends that Munch had found around the base and brought back to his room. It also came with an intercom so anyone could call Munch from anywhere inside the base.

Wade was in the kitchen with Logan heating up a microwave burrito when Captain America returned. "Our fearless leader has returned!" Wade crowed as he skipped behind Logan and saluted to Captain America.

Steve returned the salute to Hill and said, "Thank you. Looks like the team is functioning just fine again, well done." He leaned against the computer as everyone gave their reports, and nodded along with most of them. The remark from Laura elicited an eyebrow raise with a chuckle. He looked at the note from Fandral and nodded as he read. Steve looked at Fandral and said, "Thanks and I agree with you." Steve was starting to get used to Wade being...Wade and so he let him have his moment as he returned the salute with a wry grin. He could tell something was troubling Jones, but he figured he'd let her come to him when the time was right.

The attack on the sub that Ward spoke of concerned him, but not drastically. HYDRA had more than a few ways of acquiring a Nuclear Sub without resorting to an attack. Black market came to mind or from a rogue Government looking to fatten up their treasury. They would look to do something under the radar as it were. Something like this was out of character for them. Unless, they were attacking the sub for something specific, but all of that left Steve's mind as Logan was far from pleased that the team wasn't getting involved in it.

Steve knew that he had to be careful what he said next. Logan was a warrior and under the gruff exterior he cared deeply, but the anger that Logan spoke with made Steve realize a wrong word could push Logan under the edge. Steve said, "I'm sure Hill has her reasons for not launching an attack. I am willing to guess that one of them has to do with the fact that we are still getting used to one another as a team." Steve said, taking off his mask, "We can't go after threats like this if we aren't all on the same page. You of all people should realize that. Remember when we thought we were storming a Nazi outpost and we managed to get caught in the cross fire of a HYDRA ambush? All because we thought we could just run over and take 'em out without much thought to where we were as a unit at the time. We almost lost five men that day, and by all rights you and I should've been dead." Steve remembered that day vividly because it was right after his best friend Bucky had been killed in action. Steve wanted revenge so badly that he went on the raid without a lot of forethought and it nearly cost him everything he held dear to himself.

Steve looked around and said, "We need to be careful also because Gyrich is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of people outside of HYDRA who want to see us out of action." Sue stepped forward and looked around and said, "We need to face reality in that not everyone in our own Government is in favor of us operating the way we do. They might be looking for a reason to come after us again." Sue looked at Steve and said, "Tell them everything they have the right to know what we're dealing with." Steve exhaled and said, "Yeah they do." Steve looked around and said, "If I had been found guilty they were prepared to storm the base and take you all in as well." He looked at Laura and Logan and said, "You two would've been framed from killing anyone who was not a meta-human and taken in with the rest. Their intention was to dissect study and replicate our abilities to form Gyrich's own team."

Walking amongst everyone Steve let what he said hang over the room for a moment and said, "We are all that we have right now. We have to able to trust one another and count on one another. I am well aware that there will be moments that we don't agree. I'm not an idiot, but when it comes time to have each other's back we need to be ready." Steve looked around and said, "All right enough of my rambling. Let's get back to our training sessions."

Looking back to Sue Steve said, "Looks like it's you and me."

Sue replied, "Yeah it does. Whenever you're ready to go, but be warned I won't be holding back on my powers."

Steve slipped his mask back on and said, "I wouldn't have it any other way." He motioned towards the gym and said, "After you."

He and Sue walked over to the gym. They bowed towards one another, assumed fighting stances and began their sparring. Cap was impressed with Sue's technique and the fact that she wasn't holding back on her powers either. They were formidable to say the least, and made Steve glad she was on his side. Cap, however, had to somewhat hold back on his punches because he realized that one full punch from him could snap Sue's neck.

As he slipped a spinning kick Cap asked, "How did you learn these moves?"

Sue, throwing a right jab and connecting in the chest, replied, "I had one devil of a teacher."

Cap staggered back a step and then flipped forward and nailed Sue in the back with both feet. As Sue hit the mat Cap stood over her and said, "Murdock is a man of many mysteries."

Sue looked up and replied with a smile, "You have no idea."

Interactions/Mentions
@Camleen
@Sir Kaltao
@Gands
@Dunruffle
@Michale CS
@Ms.Ezra
@LuckycoolHawk9

Reactions: Gands
Jones waited until all of the official stuff was spouted, and that he was alone. It was clear Storm had a 'thing' for Rogers, but she wasn't sure that it was more than stout friendship. Hard to tell with the 40's mentality that Rogers still sported.

"Captain, we need to talk... The way I got involved with this is... unusual. Flat out, it pisses me off that I got lured in the way I did. Not that I'm stepping away from or don't back your cause, Listen... we have to talk, in private about this. I'm sure Hill already knows, but SHIELD being what it is, I bet she hasn't told you."

@MST3K 4ever

Fandral the Archer

Fandral has now added to his busy schedule, the practice of archery..Some seven hundred years back, he would have been acclaimed the finest skilled Archer in England. Alot of water under the bridge as they say. He had mostly given up the bow after his wife Marian died. He lived in grief for a long time after that. It seemed appropriate to take the use of a bow in war on the 835th anniversary of her birth.

So in addition to reaquainting himself with the bow, he had to learn the various trick arrows in his new repitour. Fire, lightning, instant foam, explosive, e.m.t, and others. There was also the quiver itself and it's attaching the trick arrowheads. . Lastly, he had to practice unfolding the bow to use quickly and how to use it while being acrobatic.

The bow did have a much stronger get pull than anything he had seen before on Midgard. It felt good in his hands.

@Camleen @MST3K 4ever @Dunruffle @Sir Kaltao @Michale CS @LuckycoolHawk9 @Ms.Ezra @The Wanderer

Once it was clear that their sparring match was over Steve helped Sue up. She said, "I'm gonna go hit the showers and get caught up on the reports for the last couple of weeks." Sue left and as she walked into the bathroom to get her shower she stopped for a moment and grabbed her cell-phone. Sue saw that she had a text from Matt. She read through the text and replied, "Keep the Faith Devil---Sue." Sue sent her text and made her way to the shower.

Jones approaching Steve was somewhat of a surprise to him. He knew if she was talking to him directly it had to be important. Steve heard what she said and he knew that this was a private matter. In most case he would take her into his office, but Steve busted the door down to show that there would be no secrets in the group. However, this was an exception Jones seemed almost troubled and if her secret got out in the group that could be trouble. He figured the easiest way for them to have some privacy was to keep moving. Steve looked at her and nodded. He said, "I don't know about you but I could use a run. I haven't had a good one in a while. I could use a good jogging partner as well." He motioned for towards the elevator and said in a very subtle way, "Let's take it outside. Meet me in five." As they walked he saw Fandral practicing with a bow. Steve was impressed with his skill and knew that the more skills one had on a team like this the better things would work out for them. Steve went into his office and stripped out of his uniform revealing a gray workout suit.

Steve met Jones at the elevators and once they were in he pressed the button for the outside. As they got out of the elevator Steve said, "I figured this will give us some privacy. We'll go between 5 and 10 miles." He motioned towards the dirt road and said, "Let's go." As they jogged forward Steve asked, "What's on your mind Jones?"

Mentioned/Interactions
@Michale CS
@Gands

'Reports are… sketchy at this hour. The Russian News Agency TASS is reporting that a Russian nuclear submarine was attacked by an unnamed force. One source, outside of TASS is saying ISIS is taking responsibility… another outside of TASS is saying it was planted agents of Hydra. Contact was lost with the Yasen class attack submarine Kazan, with a crew of 85, 3 days ago. No wreckage has been located, no distress beacons found yet. The Kremlin has asked all international search and rescue attempts to be halted and drawn from Russian waters immediately. The Yasen was launched almost 6 months ago in a peacekeeping effort. It is a fully armed attack submarine, equipped with 14 ICBM's, each with nuclear payload.'

The news on the major networks are covering this evolving story. The Kremlin seems to be trying to downplay exactly what's happening. There are, of course, conspiracy theorists that have been running rampant on the internet. Some say the sub simply malfunctioned and sank. Others say it was hijacked, which seems unlikely. It's a submarine, after all. It has been in the East Siberian Sea, after all. A cold and frigid world. Some say ISIS… some say Hydra… some say a new mutant faction…

Shield has means of finding the submarine, with time. But if it was taken by Hydra… in addition to all of the other instruments of horror and mass destruction at their disposal… they now have 14 nuclear missiles and a nuclear reactor…

Steve met Jones at the elevators and once they were in he pressed the button for the outside. As they got out of the elevator Steve said, "I figured this will give us some privacy. We'll go between 5 and 10 miles." He motioned towards the dirt road and said, "Let's go." As they jogged forward Steve asked, "What's on your mind Jones?"

32OuWmH.jpg
Running. I hated running. It was something you did when you had to, not for fun. Not that I was out of shape or anything. I could definitely keep up with Rogers, but the only thing I hated worse than running was K-Pop. And Wade Wilson. Okay so it was in the top 10.

But I acquiesced. Far quicker than arguing. "And here I was going to show you paperwork and shit to back up my story. A little impractical if we're going to be out for a jog. Fine..."

I gathered my thoughts and laid it out from the beginning. My financial crisis caused by taking too many cases that paid in favors and free coffee for life (though that last one might turn out pretty profitable for me.) The offer from the slick suit. Who I figured out the suit worked for. The building bought from under my landlord and deeded to me.

"I'm sure SHIELD knows about this, and if Hill hasn't told you... Well, you're a smart man, I'm sure you get the implications."

I let that sink in as I made a sudden left, heading in a direction different from Rogers' planned route.

"Ever had a dirty water hot dog, Cap? I happen to know the best place in the Burrough to get one."

@MST3K 4ever