Caden lifted a brow, "So...a book tells you how I am feeling and now you ask me when we are getting married," he said looking disgruntled, "Am I to be allowed any romantic moments in this relationship? Ever?' he asked. He chuckled then and wrapped her in his arms, "You really should make me earn this. But since you aren't..." He knelt down as he'd heard these things were done and bowed to her, "Will you marry me Laurana?" he asked and she'd see there was a beautiful ring there as a token of his regard and love. It was silver with a beautiful pink stone blazing in the middle and blue ones surrounding it. "The stones remind me of you." he said.

Alna woke and was stiff and sore but otherwise felt well. She realized Nathan was gone and she went to the bathroom to shower. She cleaned herself well, and dressed as careful as she could, but today, luck was not on her side. She'd chosen one of the mismatched sets in her closet. A blue skirt bottom and an olive green top. They had matches but on other hangers. She had no way to tell colors though so she made her way to her kitchen, thinking to make herself something to eat. she smelled coffee? Her face showed her confusion, "Hello?' she called and then smelled the other food, "Nathan?" she asked not sure where he was, and shocked he'd stayed.

Nathan chuckled a bit, helping her find a matching blue blouse to wear instead of the green one. "I'm still here, Alna. Breakfast and coffee included." He said, helping her to sit beside him at the counter. The food was still warm and delicious. He would do his best to help her understand he wasn't leaving....unless she wanted him to!

Laurana laughed at Cadens remark about her jumping ahead and ignoring the book. But when she saw the engagement ring, she almost fell over backwards, astonished at the sheer beauty of the ring.she leaped into his arms, kissing him fiercely. She couldn't believe how lucky she was...

Serena began worrying about her son as a fever settled in his forehead, his chest and even his face and back. He was almost always coughing, and though shed done her best to use the herbal medicines Morden had taught them all to use to get well from any common cold, it didn't seem to work on her ten year old at all. She picked him up gently, keeping him securely in a blanket, having tied back her waist length blonde hair in a braid. As a widow, she never bothered looking beautiful as the other fae women did. But she was pretty by most standards, with an oval shaped face, fair skin, grey green eyes, and a slim figure, she wore mostly black or blue dresses, signifying her devotional mourning of Robert. He'd been her dark haired, blue eyed warrior until an ambush from Douglass ended his too brief stay on this world. Now, ten years later, she was struggling to be the best mother she could,but it was no secret. She lived only for her son. All the way to Mordens place, she kept out of sight of others, having been shunned rather unfairly the day Robert died. Most liked reminding her that shed never find another husband, though she was only in her mid thirties. Knocking a few times on Mordens door, she hoped he wouldn't be too busy.

Alna blinked at his helping her change her shirt, "Did I not match?" she asked, "I try to put things back on the hangers correctly but...sometimes I ...don't." She frowned, "Would you mind..." she said and then shrugged, "Nevermind ...it's not important." she said and ate the food he'd prepared. If he was going to wait for her to ask him to leave, he'd be there a good long minute or decade.

Caden caught her and kissed her back, "Is that a yes?" he asked chuckling at her enthusiasm.

Morden was expecting Laurana and Caden so eh swung the door open and said, It's about time..." when he noticed it was not them but Serena,"Oh forgive me Serena," eh said and reached out and took the boy from her and carried him inside, "Come in come in..." He said and went to his own bed and laid the boy down. he could feel the fever through the blankets and that disturbed him. He opened the blanket and saw the reddening of the skin of his face, neck and chest. he heard the coughing and he opened his mouth to look at his tongue, all covered in white. He frowned and went to his table and began mixing things in a flask and then heated it over a fire until it bubbled and boiled. Then he added a few more things and then he magically cooled it down to the boy could drink it, and not be burned but it would still be warm. He helped the boy drink the potion and then laid him back. replacing the covers and with a hand to the child's forehead he cast a sleeping spell on him.

He turned then to look at Serena, "He will sleep now," he said, "You may stay here by his side, but I need to be close in case he needs stronger magic." He said as he pulled a chair up to the bed for her. "Have you eaten?" he asked, "I was about to make breakfast. can I get you something?"

• Love
Reactions: Maggie
Laurana kissed Caden again, putting the gorgeous ring on her engagement ring finger. "We should go train at Mordens. I have far too much energy to stay still." She said after agreeing that was two yeses.

Nathan smiled gently at Alnas unspoken question. "I have always been ocd just about my whole life. I don't mind organizing your very lovely closets. Let me know how you want things arranged and ill make it a weekly task. Do you need more to eat or drink?" He asked.

Serena blushed slightly as he'd been expecting the queen and her betrothed. She was grateful for Mordens help, and was glad to stay by Niad's side. Truth be told, she was very busy, and probably spent more time out of doors than the rest of the fae in the whole clan. She was always gathering roots, herbs, cherry bark, ground nuts. Special berries and plants, just to keep Morden well supplied for his remedies, like what he was using for her son. She also had endless chores at home, clothes to mend, wash and make, that she really didn't eat much. She was too thin and she knew this, but there wasn't much time for herself, not that she minded. Her son was the only connection she had with Robert. "Thank you, I guess its been a while since I had made anything for myself. Do you need help with anything?" She asked managing a smile.

Caden grinned, "I could always take you back to the bedroom and burn a little of that off before we leave." he said, "It's still early, Morden probably isn't even awake yet...." He was lying , flat out lying but..he still carried her off to the bedroom for a bit of the best kind of energy burn.

Alna blinked. How had he known? She sighed, "I can't see the colors. I just need the right things on the right hangers," she said, "Wait.." She stopped and looked at him. "What did you say?" She asked "did you say weekly?" she asked, "You are ..staying? She asked in a very soft voice. She was so very different around Nate. He made her feel feminine and tender and vulnerable. He could very easily crush her heart, she had given it to him already, though she'd not spoken of it. It was there lying in his hands and she was for the first time in her life completely vulnerable to another person.

Morden didn't always know where everything came from, so he wouldn't realize that only Serena was gathering everything. He wasn't attentive to such things. He grinned, "The Queens gadgets are handy and fast," he said as he stepped out of the room and was back in less than five minutes with eggs, toast, and hot tea. "As I said...useful and fast." He smiled a genuine smile at her as he held out the plate.

Laurana had no idea why Caden was reluctant to go to Mordens today...but instantly she was distracted by his frisky moods. Grinning, she knew all of his weak spots by now and used them to her advantage, just to have him melt.it was the most adorable thing having Caden not wanting her to even leave the bed. She couldn't resist him if she tried!

Nathan heard the shock in her voice and his heart ached for Alna. How lonely she must have been in life! Well that would end as long as he had a say. "Yes, Alna...weekly. I don't lie to the ones I love." And this he meant completely. Alna didn't know it, but last night was a way of baring both his heart and soul to her. He hugged her gently then, glad he was someone she could be happy with as he was happy with her.

Serena chuckled as Morden made breakfast. Everything looked and smelled fantastic. "I think once Niald is well, ill take him with me to the new classes for the gadgets. They do seem easier." She agreed, enjoying breakfast a lot. Lately all Niald wanted was soups and broths! "Can you tell me what's ailing him, Morden?" she asked, sipping coffee beside him. She didn't have many peaceful encounters with people,and this was a nice change.

Caden wasn't reluctant to go to Morden's, he was just not wanting to leave the bed room quite yet. Frisky had a mind of its own at times and Caden's nether regions were ruling the roost today.

Alna heard the words and tears fell from her eyes, "Oh Nate," she said and held him tight. "I love you," she said, "I have loved you for so long, but I .." She swallowed and tried to get the lump in her throat to move so she could speak, "I thought ...what can I offer a man who bakes, who is a warrior, who can see...and I was happy to have the few moments you gave me each day." She wished she could see him, just for a moment so that she could see his eyes. She lifted a hand to his face so she could touch him and finding his lips with her fingertips she moved to kiss him lovingly.

Morden nodded, "They are handy." her said, as he ate his food. He swallowed and then looked at her "I'm not sure, but it looks like a scarlet fever, though the cough is not a symptom. Thought he cough could just be a separate things altogether. I'll know more in a few hours." He looked at her then and realizing he'd never actually done so before. She was really very beautiful. "You can stay in here with him, if you'd like. I can bring in another bed or another chair."

Laurana certainly had no intention of spoiling Caden and her own frisky moods! She licked a sensitive spot on his neck just to drive him crazy. Quite comfortable with not leaving the room all day except for emergencies!

Alnas confessesion surprised Nate a bit, but happiness was sneaking up on him as he gladly returned her kiss. His arms went around her slim waist, and he kept the kiss going, but he was letting her be in charge of what would happen this morning. "I love you Alna. you offer me more than you know just by being with me." He told her, his voice deeper.

Serena finished breakfast, and was alarmed at Nialds condition. He was usually so healthy, full of eagerness to learn, even her herbal forages through the long forest trails and around the deep parts of the lake were fun expeditions for him. Scarlet fever was a serious thing. "A bed will be fine...is there anyway we could get the queen to heal him? I'm not one to bother her or Caden...but...do you think we will need to visit them?' She asked, automatically helping with the dishes and putting things away. She liked the way morden looked, his features were handsome, his eyes kind...but as far as him liking her? She never would have known he thought her pretty let alone beautiful. Too many of the people had called her ugly widow Serena.

Caden spent a few hours indulging his physical urges and then sighed, "I suppose we should be responsible now," he said with a huff of exasperation, "not that I WANT to mind you...but you do need to practice." he forced himself out of bed and got dressed offering her a hand up. "Pity you ahve to put clothes on," he said sighing again. "but...no one but me is allowed to see you, so...it is necessary."

Alna smiled into the kiss when he said he loved her. She hadn't expected him to say that, and even if he didn't mean it, she was happy to hear it. "Would you...stay here?' she asked, "I know you have a house of your own..and things..and the baking..." She sighed, "I know it's a lot to ask...I can learn your home...it will take a while...but I could if you need to live there. I want you to be happy Nate."

Morden had a few beds in the shop, for sick patients to rest on and he did sometimes ahve more than one patient. He dragged one bed from the other room into Niald's room. "There you go," he said and noticed she was cleaning up the dishes, "Oh you didn't have to do that, Serena," he said but smiled, "But thank you. I can't say it's a chore I am overly fond of...." She asked about the Queen and he tipped his head, "I had actually expected the both of them to be here a while ago for another lesson, I'm sure they will turn up. If he's not better by then...I will indeed have Caden look at him. He's the more practiced magic user, and with his heritage a natural healer."

Last edited by a moderator:
Serena smiled as shed had everything neatly put away in no time. "When you have a son as hungry ad mine usually gets, the dishes and chores can pile up. I don't mind it though....I'm not a social person most of the time." She said, checking to see Niald was still comfortable. He certainly seemed to be resting easier for which she was thankful. "If Queen Laurana and sir Caden are on their way, ill just wait for them." She assured Morden.

Alna made Nate even happier with that question. "It's no trouble, Alna. I live very lightly. I bake most of my goods in the community kitchen, so all I need are my clothes and other weapons.You'll never be unsafe." He promised, kissing her forehead.

Laurana laughed at Cadens griping about leaving the bed at all. She had to agree though, it was a wonderful way to burn up that extra energy! She was a bit stiff and sore, but she kissed Caden gently. "Oh yes, leaving this bed is excruciatingly painful...but I'm sure both of us can manage a few hours at Mordens and then well just have to hurry right back here. As for anyone seeing me? That's not going to happen except for you." She added, taking a hot shower and dressing in a pale gold gown and slippers. She waited by the door for Caden to get decent and clean, before hurrying them to knock on Mordens door.

Last edited:
Alna heard him but she was in shock, "Really?' she asked, "You would not mind?' she put her hands to his face to touch him and feel for the expression there. It was the only way she would know if he was relaxed and happy or stiff and tense. Blindness had its drawbacks. there was no body language to gauge. She had not been born blind, but had been taken ill at the age of 15 and a fever burned her sight from her, but that was when she had been gifted with the second sight. She couldn't bring herself to be sad about it most times. Her 'seeing' had saved them all many times. It had found the Queen, and therefore saved the entire clan. "The small amount of time you ahve been giving me Nate, was brightening my life." she said honestly, "This...is so much more than I could ahve hoped for...had I even dared to hope for it."

Morden nodded, "That is best," he said, "He shouldn't be moved just yet anyway. He needs this rest." He looked from her back to the boy lying in the room and then back again, "He has grown quite a bit," he noted, "You are doing a good job. But...why do you not socialize?' he asked, "Surely you ahve suitors pounding at the door for your attention."

Caden could see she was waiting for him to shower and so he indulged her and took a shower. He generally magically cleaned himself because well. It was faster, and he had to believe more thorough. She seemed to really like her shower thing though so he took a shower. He came out with dripping hair but he created a slight wind around him that dried it quickly and then he dressed in black pants, white shirt and gold vest to match her. "Hopefully I am presentable now," he said with a wink and then walked with her to Morden's and after she knocked he opened the door, "We have come..." He said and stopped short seeing Serena in Morden's kitchen, "We can come back later,if you are busy..."

"Very attractive, Caden." She assured him holding his hand the entire way. A sudden bad feeling hit her senses like bricks to her head, but she didn't understand why. She ignored the weird vibes and smiled at seeing Serena and Niald, two of the first people shed met when she had first arrived....it was then she saw Serenas son lying too still, his face a bit too red to be a normal visit. "Hi Serena..is your son alright?"

The queen's timely arrival spared Serena from having to explain to Morden why she was so detestable among the others. "Hello Queen Laurana, Sir Caden...Niald is sick, probably from.Scarlet Fever, which is strange...he's usually never sick." She explained. Laurana nodded, then walked over to Nialds bed, placing a gentle hand on his scorching forehead. With ease and very little energy on her part, Laurana healed him of all illness, giving him an extra boost of energy, so he'd feel just fine in an hour or less.

Serena was speechless, but ever so grateful, she dropped a curtsy to Laurana and Caden. "Thank you both. I'm in your debt. Morden, thank you as well. I'll just go now, but if you need anything replaced, please don't hesitate to ask." With that, Serena picked up her now healthy son and retreated quickly back to her own room, getting Niald comfortable in his own bed.

Laurana blinked. She guessed Serena wasn't much for a lot of people....kind of like Morden! "we can make this a fast lesson if you'd like, Morden." she said guiltily.

Nathan was definitely smiling and relaxed as Alna would soon feel. "Then I will go gather my things now....would you like to.come with me?" He asked.

Caden was still in shock at seeing Serena there and hadn't even managed to say one word before the woman and her son were both gone. His brow raised at Morden once the stunned shock wore off. "So I hope you spoke to her," he said, "Since you didn't even have to leave the shop to do so."

Morden rolled his eyes, "OF COURSE I spoke to her," he said with a huff of indignation, "How else was i to discover why she'd arrived so early?" he asked, "Unlike some people who were expected hours ago."

Caden smiled, "We were otherwise occupied, and delightfully so."

Morden shook his head, "He is a bad influence on you my Queen," he said, "But...on with the lessons." He crossed the room to Laurana and grabbing her shoulders he positioned her where he wanted. "Now...Caden..you will try to run at her. My queen I want you to use your magic to push him away from you and keep pushing him away until he is against the door over there." He pointed to the far end of his cave which was about fifty or sixty feet away.

Alna had an odd sensation shiver up her spine just then. Her hands moved to Nate's arms and she held on firmly as she frowned trying to grab onto it. "I need to go to my cauldron," she said, "Something is happening..." She poured a few things into it and then stirred. She gasped and then her hand reached out to find him, "Nate...the caves are going to collapse...The Douglas will find us...we must warn people..."

Laurana chuckled at Morden saying Caden was a bad influence on her! "That might be true...but I can't say I don't enjoy it." She teased, very glad however, Morden was reacting positively to Serena. From what shed seen, people were not nice to that woman or even her son, making Laurana all the more determined to change things. But for now, she let Morden move her away from Caden, and did as he.said, sending up a pale blue barrier around herself. "Ok Caden....now imagine I have ruined your favorite cape....I.spilled hot tea all over it." She encouraged, an innocent.smile on her face.

Nathan looked worried. "We must evacuate everyone...but where would be the safest place to go?" Nathan asked, keeping close to Alna as she saw the frightening vision. Things had been going so well! But he feared he'd been right about Lauranas flashing magic that day...perhaps it, or the battle with the elves had alerted Douglas.

Laurana chuckled at Morden saying Caden was a bad influence on her! "That might be true...but I can't say I don't enjoy it." She teased, very glad however, Morden was reacting positively to Serena. From what shed seen, people were not nice to that woman or even her son, making Laurana all the more determined to change things. But for now, she let Morden move her away from Caden, and did as he.said, sending up a pale blue barrier around herself. "Ok Caden....now imagine I have ruined your favorite cape....I.spilled hot tea all over it." She encouraged, an innocent.smile on her face.

Nathan looked worried. "We must evacuate everyone...but where would be the safest place to go?" Nathan asked, keeping close to Alna as she saw the frightening vision. Things had been going so well! But he feared he'd been right about Lauranas flashing magic that day...perhaps it, or the battle with the elves had alerted Douglas.

Caden shook his head, "No I will imagine you are doing something you should not be doing," he said as ran toward her as fast as he could.

Morden nodded, "Good thought," he said and then watched to see what the queen would do.

Alna held onto Nate, "It is the front, near the opening to the outer world, where the collapse will happen. People need to gather back toward my rooms even inside here. there will be no damage here." She hugged him and then kissed him softly, "I will wait here, I will only be a burden to you out there. Send them all to me, I will keep them calm. Morden should be able to help you, if you go to him."

Nathan hugged and kissed Alna close for a while, then promised he'd get everyone to their room. He wished he could find Caden and Laurana to warn them, but he figured they'd get word somehow. First things first. He ran to warn everyone, using a voice modifying spell, he boomed loud and clear: "Everyone please proceed to Sovalnas quarters. Were having a horrible cave in very soon, gather emergency supplied only, leave no one behind!" he repeated this a few more times, before letting the alarm ring through the cave. He patrolled thoroughly, not worrying too much about his own safety, but wanting everyone else to get out of this attack alive.

"Hm, something I'm not supposed to do? Jeez. So many options so little time." She chuckled, watching Caden charge at her. She warded herself very quickly, and directed the blue light at him, then pushed it his way! But she immediately stopped the process when she heard Nates voice yell about a cave in! "Caden, Moren...we have to get everyone to Sovalnas! Don't worry about the cave, ill fix it when were safe." She said, panicked. She grabbed Caden to stall his collision, then started running out the door.

Serena was outside the cave and heard none of these warnings. She was on the other side of the lake, gathering useful herbs and plants for Mordens supplies. She had left Niald resting comfortably on his own bed, with plenty of vegetable and beef stew for him on the counter if he got hungry, and a note of where she was if he got worried. She had no idea what was going on...

Alna kissed him back and then shooed him out of the rooms. She hoped they could all fit in here, she was confident they could with a bit of willingness to not have as much personal space. she made her way to the kitchen and began preparing tea and sandwiches for everyone. Thanks to Nate's generosity she had a lot of bread.

Caden stopped short of Laurana when she let her barrier drop. He too heard the booming voice of Nate and ran for the door. He began helping the people with small children get them out of harms way first.

Morden immediately thought of Serena and Niald. he made his way to their place and saw the note and Niald still resting. he picked the boy up and carried him to Sovalna's place asking for a bed to lie him on. She offered her own and he didn't question it. He saw Caden and shouted at him in passing, "Serena is outside the cave, "I'm going to go get ehr and warn her. Keep Niald safe.." he said and ran out the main square and into the forest.

Laurana was roaming all over the cave, going as fast as she could run; she almost stumbled a few times, but never slowed. She knocked on doors, magically opened them, herding as many groups of people as she could, gently but firmly guiding all of them to Sovalna's room. She created extra beds, chairs, and even increased the space magically to hold all of the clan inside if need be! Then after thanking Sovalna for her assistance, she was off, racing in another direction, checking the community areas, most people were responding to Nate's extremely ear-blasting warnings, thankfully, she was grateful he could get so loud! She also went outside, looking for stragglers.

Serena was just about to head back into the cave, when she saw Laurana, hurrying towards her! "Serena! you must come to Sovalna's place, please, hurry!" She cried, hurrying over to the girl to urge her to safety. She had to get everyone safe inside, away from the cave in... She wasn't even thinking of herself right then...

Nathan had rounded up the last of the group of kids and parents loitering in the library, urging them to move with haste, not letting anyone linger for a moment. He scanned the area for Caden, having not seen him or Laurana in a while. Then, he made it back to Sovalnas with the last of the loiterers!

Alna was feeding people and comforting everyone. Tell thing them what she had seen, and that she had seen no collapse in this part of the caves. She oddly enough could smell Nate even among all of these people and held her hand out to him when he returned, "Did you find everyone?" she asked, "Morden brought Serena's boy here and then went to get her, he said she was outside the caves. I have not seen either of them though."

Caden came back into Sovalna's rooms and looked around and saw Her and Nate, "I think that's everyone," he said, "IS Morden back?' he asked, "And where is Laurana?"

Alna lifted a brow, "She said something about going to find Serena..."

Caden almost roared in agitation as he ran back out the door. He didn't make it three steps when the main part of the cave collapsed blocking the way to the outer entrance. "LAURANA!" he cried out.

Morden found them both and gave Laurana a quelling look, "What the devil do you think you are doing?" he asked, "Have you lost your mind being out here?"

There was a flash of light behind them and Morden's eyes flashed, "RUN!" he said and urged them to the cave mouth only to see the billowing of dust and rubble from within. The cave in had already happened. It was too late.

The second flash of light nearly blinded him as he turned to face their mortal enemy. "Well Douglas," he said, "You are nothing if not persistent."

The Douglas smirked, "And you are nothing if not stupid," he said, "Lazy and stupid. If you ever learn to live without relying on magic, I may have a more difficult time finding you. But since your kind are basically lazy, I need never fear. I will always find you." He looked at the two women, "You do seem to ahve unaccountably lovely women folk though, I must admit," as he lifted a leg over the horn of his saddle and slid to the ground with a slight thud. "Still it is not you I seek, but the one that leads you all. The one with the greater magic. He seems to actually care about your pathetic freaks of nature. So I am sure when I leave the message that I have three of his people, he will come to save you."

He stood firmly before them and motioned for his men, "Tie them up and keep them close to me. I will write the note."

Laurana will find that she had no magical ability at the moment, and neither does Morden. The crystal around the Douglas' neck inhibits their fae magic completely. It is the secret that the Douglas' wife told him, and the secret that had cost all of their lives, but the few who were safely hidden in Sovalna's rooms.