Morden dropped his hand and he nodded, "Ok now light the candle." He wanted her to see that everything flowed freely without her mind, just with the flowing magical energy.

Caden could see exactly what Morden was doing with this exercise and he thought maybe this was the best way to help her. He hoped she'd be able to light the candle,without a headache or passing out. It seemed like a simple thing but not to someone who was used to using magic as she was. His mind was thinking, you can do it...

Sovalna turned to look at him when he spoke, so he'd know she could hear him and was indeed listening. "You have given me more than I need," she said, "but you can do me a favor." She put down her plate and she reached for his hand, though it was a bit clumsy and awkward since she had to touch his arm and then let her fingers move down to his hand. "Please, call me Alna," She said, "It's the name my family used to call me, and ...well...would you mind?" she asked. She didn't want to say he felt like family, since he came every day and talked with her. She didn't want him to feel pressured or anything, but hearing that name made her feel warm inside and helped her not feel so alone. "And...the moon must be very bright tonight...I can see its light in the darkness. Can you tell me what the rest looks like?"

Nathan was touched, and he refilled both their glasses so they wouldn't be thirsty. "I will call you Alna...and you may call me Nate if you wish. I went by Nathan mostly in the military." He paused, unwilling to describe those foul days and ruin such a pleasant mood. "The stars are glorious tonight, shining in their billions. Truly they seem to light the sky on fire. The breeze is making the lake ripple, the treebranches sway. Not many animals or other creatures seem to be around, but I know a few birds are still fluttering as they nest. And the ground itself is very soft, softer than usual under the quilt." He added, hoping she could now see everything in her mind.

Laurana lit the candle with ease, not once using her mind. Only telling her magic what she needed! Then, having a little fun, she even changed the color of the flame: red, orange, gold, green, blue, purple, silver, even black and white! At the same time, she was keeping the candle above her and Mordens heads, lengthening the flame, then shrinking it, until she finally put out the light, and made it float back to the candleholder. She smiled at how much better it felt using only her magic. "What's next?" She asked. She heard Cadens words of encouragement and thanked him silently.

Alna smiled, "I will call you Nate," she said smiling as she listened to him speak of the night, "I can hear the breeze and the birds," she said softly not wishing to disturb the magic that was weaving around the night and them. She drank the drink he poured for her and then impulsively moved a little closer so she could lean against him and listen to the night and feel like she wasn't alone. "Thank you for inviting me..."

Caden smiled a small grin at her. he could tell she had used her magic correctly. "Very good Sweetheart," he said and then hugged her. "See how much better that feels?"

Morden nodded, "Well done," he said, "And now...we go outside again," he said with a disgruntled look on his face as he looked at Caden, "Yes...outside." He led them out to where he'd had her work with the tree and pointed to some rocks, "Now ...do the same with the rocks," he said, "Lift them in the air and then i want you to change them to something else, I don't care what as long as they are no longer rocks."

Laurana grinned a bit more and gave a relieved sigh. "So much better, and yes outside time...well go farther away from Nathan and Sovalnas date." She said, leading the two of them out of mordens room. The night air felt cool but nice, and she felt a strange pulling sensation coming from the sky...but she ignored it, eager to practice. She kept very silent as she saw Sovalna relaxed completely against Nathan, who now held her as though she were made of spun glass. Closer to the woodsy trails, Laurana blushed as she remembered her fall into the lake. She conjured a bright blue sphere of shimmering light to see by, letting Caden and Morden both catch up to her as she spotted a pile of boulders not far from them. She lifted a few boulders at a time, then drew them right in front of her. The first boulder became a big boquette of pink and white roses, the second, a pile of gold and silver coins, the third boulder became a large, golden axe almost as big as Cadens massive arms. Finally, Laurana settled all the items on the ground, and felt surprised that she had neither headache or fatigue, but rather...a hyper awareness...a new confidence in her ability...she didnt want her outside time to end.

Nathan understood loneliness far too well..in the military he'd been a great soldier, almost a commander...before he'd been ambushed. One of Douglas' own men had caught him alone, writing reports. He'd fought savagelt, but was outnumbered, dragged away, then knocked unconscious. He woke up to endless torture and cruelty,and only sheer dumb luck had gotten him out, and back to his people....though he never was the same afterwards..

Caden followed close behind her and smiled as she easily manipulated the rocks between matter forms. "I think sh's got it, Morden." he said with a grin at the wizard.

Morden nodded, "Indeed," he said not even sparing a glance at Sovalna and Nathan. None of his business anyway. "Now...then, let's move onto more advanced concepts. I want you to form a ball of water, floating. Do not take it from anywhere just create it." She was growing stronger. he could feel it and he felt hope springing up for the firs time.

Alna smiled when she felt his arm wrap around her and gently hold her to his side. Her eyes drifted shut as she allowed herself to be lost in the scent of him, and the feel of him next to her. She was so lost in it in fact that she did not hear the elvin sentry fire an arrow at her chest. But as fate would have it she turned in his arms a bit and rather than sink into her heart it hit her shoulder instead.

Meanwhile other members of the elvin sentry had quietly surrounded Laurana, Caden and Morden. Caden was the first to become aware of them and he cast a orb of protection around Laurana and Morden who were standing close together, but the elves a second later had him trapped in vines of some kind that were inhibiting his magic. A tall man stepped out of the treeline, "Ahh...the bastard child of Queen Hendra, at last we meet." he said, "Allow me to introduce myself. I am your brother, Deion. I have come to ensure that you die this night. I am the heir of the elvin throne, and your claim will not stand."

Caden stood still, not struggling against the bonds. "Have it. I have no wish to rule a people who never cared for me nor sought after me when I was lost to them."

Deion laughed, "Why would we seek a bastard human child?" he asked, "Your very existence taints our race."

Caden lifted a brow, "Take the crown, I ahve no need or want of it."

Laurana screamed as they were suddenly attacked, then...something in her began to get a bit pissed. Shed been grabbed roughly by one of the elves, but it looked like they had seen some of her magic displays and were a bit nervous around her. With good reason. "You've no business here, Deion you ugly asshole. I know Caden doesn't want your worthless crown. He's going to be a king beside me. His people are and always have been, the fae. Take your band of idiots and leave. Or burn from the inside out. Your choice." Lauranas voice was colder than ice or snow. Her mission was to provoke Deion, distract his attention from Morden and caden, then kill them brutally in a single spell.

Nathan did several things: first he took the arrow out of Alnas shoulder, using several strips of his own shirt to bandage it tightly, to stop the bleeding. Then he drew out his long, silvery blade with the onyx carved hilt. He stood protectively in front of Alna. He wanted nothing more than to take her in his arms and get both of them to her home but not when enemies could hurt her. He cared little about himself, her safety mattered more. He'd no idea what this was all about, but damned if he would stand idle and let it happen. "Come out you miserable Fuck, fight me like a man...or are you a simple coward?" His voice rang clearly through the night, and he was ready to murder.

Alna hissed when he removed the arrow, knowing it had to be don in case it was poisoned, and even then the damage had already been done if that was the case. "Leave me she urged him when he began bandaging her wound, "Save yourself. I am not important." Suddenly her mind filled with images, "Nate...there are three of them," she said "One o'clock, three o'clock and nine o'clock." And she also saw the ones attacking Laurana, Morden and Caden, but she watched them all fall in her mind's eyes in one heap of ash and dust and almost laughed.

Caden looked at Laurana and grinned, "Leave the 'king' alive, so he can go back and remember not to come here again. Showing him the error of his ways by sending him back alone though...I am totally in favor of."

Deion looked at the woman, "The fae are always quick to threaten," he said, "But I have never seen their power displayed, so I have no fear of you Whore of the Bastard."

The three rangers appeared at the treeline exactly where Alna had said they would be. Forming a semi circle around them, "We have no need of you, old man," said the one who'd fired the arrow at the seer, "We just need that seer. Hand her over and you can live to fight another day."

Lauranas eyes met Cadens. "None deserve to try another day...I'm sorry." She said quietly. The fire burned so fiercely in her body she couldn't hold it in. Flares of red light burned her irises a moment, until she released the flames. Hot, burning fire entered every enemys body, even those around Nathan, who couldnt believe his own eyes as his attackers burst into black flames, then dissolving into ash! Every elf around Laurana, Caden and morden experienced the same things. The restraints fell from Morden and Caden, at the same time, Sovalnas shoulder was completely healed. Laurana felt overly hot, but she wasn't tired at all. "are you two ok?" She asked eyeing the lake as if she needed to cool off badly! She gazed at deion with a strange distant look in her dialated, darkend eyes full of shadows. Shed never taken lives before, but shed spared Cadens brother this time. "You are banned, deion. I used to respect the elven people, but now know they are as untrustworthy as the dark fae. Go before I unleash the fire again." She ordered in her scary, icy voice.

Nathan scooped Alna into his arms, ready to go back inside. "I won't hear of such talk...ill never let anything happen to you...and neither will our queen apparently." He was grateful to Laurana, but felt they'd be safer indoors for now.

Last edited:
Caden looked at Deion, "Be gone and do not return," he said, "You ahve nothing to fear from me," he said, "But I will not stay her hand again on your behalf." He looked back at Laurana, "I am fine. And you were magnificent."

Deion turned an ran into the trees and was gone as quickly as he'd come. Now believing the fae threats as valid and true. They actually did possess magic of great strength. He returned and spoke of a tale where all his brothers were killed, and even the bastard elf as well, and so he ruled in the knowledge of his lies.

Morden sighed, "Well that was damned annoying, but good show Laurana." He said, "I can see your used it almost totally correctly. You held the heat in instead of letting it flow freely. I think you ought to go ahve a cool shower. But well done. Be here tomorrow morning," he said as he walked away, "We will continue."

Alna curled up against Nate and buried her face in his neck, "I know," she said, "But I didn't want them to hurt you." She admitted, "What would I do without you?" she asked quietly. Her tone and the way she was clinging to him, were so very uncharacteristic of her, but she felt safe to be herself with him. She could not show this to anyone else. The Fae had to believe she was without vulnerability, it was what they looked to her for. But she needed a place to be vulnerable and cared for, and this was that place. Safe in his arms.

Laurana smiled at Mordens and Cadens praise, but the best feeling came from knowing she was capable and able to protect everyone with these amazing powers. She exhaled, letting herself breathe again and watched morden go back inside. She fussed over Caden for a moment, then healed all injuries he might have had. "Mordens right...need a cold shower now," she said, hurrying both of them back to their room. The burning sensation didn't leave her until nearly an hour in the ice cold spray of water.

Nathan put Alna into her bed, but pulled up a chair to rest next to her, his scars burning badly, though he hid them. He let his blade rest at his side again. He held her hands in his, brushing the bangs from her eyes. "They didn't touch me. Alna. I promise, and I swear ill do my best to never leave you." He gently kissed her hand....sadness reached his eyes, knowing that somewhere out there, his enemies were out there hoping for a chance to finish him off. Though he'd never go out without one ferocious fight and at least take several of them out too.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Caden let her fuss but assured her he was fine. "I ahve to get Morden working on that cord they bound me with. It completely blocked my magic. That is a formidable weapon." he said picking up a bit of it and stuffing it into his pocket. He laughed at her need for a cold shower and ran with her to their room. He let her cool off while he cooked dinner. He had it ready long before she surfaced out of the shower but he waited for her. He knew her heat it up machine would make the food warm again, though he intended to let her do it. "Food needs that thing of yours..." he said as he whistled at her, "You need to eat so i can wear you out tonight.."

Alna heard him say they did not hurt him, but she heard a deep heaviness in his voice, "She tugged on his hand, "Then don't leave me now," she whispered moving over to make room for him in ver very large bed. "Hold me ... " She asked, "I don't want to feel alone...and I don't want you to feel alone either..."

Laurana laughed at how he said her food needed her heat thing. And when he told her he was going to wear her out tonight. Honestly how was he going to wear her out now that shed figured out how to use her energy the right way? But she grinned, knowing he would try his best. She hurriedly dressed in a pale blue sweater and matching pants, before hurrying to eat the delicious steak, green beans and mashed potatoes he had made. She heated it perfectly with her magic, and created a similar plate for him for when he returned from mordens. She took time enjoying her dinner, drinking a glass of. Pepsi with it. Soon as shed finished, she went to wait for Caden in bed, changing into a silk blue nightgown just for him.

Alnas words made Nates heart flutter again...."When I am with you Alna I never feel alone." he assured her with a smile. He then tugged off his shirt, leaving his gleaming bronzed skin exposed. With his back to the wall, he held Alna in his arms, resting his head on her now healed shoulder. "Rest, Alna, its been a chaotic evening for all of us." He said gently.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Caden hadn't gone to Morden's but to the cave opening to cast a shield over it for protection. If the elves found them so could Douglas. He wasn't taking any more chances. He was back before too long, with flowers and looking around for her he peeked in the bedroom, "Ahh...so here you are," he said pushing aside the frantic panic he'd felt when he'd entered and hadn't seen her in the kitchen where he'd expected. He crossed over to her and handed her the roses as he kissed her softly, "I see you are ready for a long night then," he grinned and stripped out of his clothes before her got into bed with her and proceeded to attempt to indeed wear her out.

Alna cuddled close to his side and smiled, as her arms moved to pull him even closer. she knew sleep would be slow to come, even though she was indeed tired. She wanted to remember this forever. She had no guarantee he'd be willing to stay again, though she'd probably ask him to tomorrow. Still, just in case, she wanted to remember this feeling, and the scent of him and the feel of his bare skin beneath her fingertips.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Maggie
Laurana smiled, glad to have Caden all to herself for the rest of the night. "i wont disappear, i promise." she assured him with a small laugh. She hugged him close in their bed, glad to be alone with him and began kissing him deeply, ready for a great night of exhausting eachother.

Nathan knew Alna could feel the deep scars on his back but it was too comforting. hed forgotten what a gentle touch could do. Alna was so sweet and warm..he couldnt help but trail kisses from her earlobe her forehead, and her lips. "Tell me if i am moving too fast, Alna." he said, ever concerned for her comfort.

Caden wondered if Laurana remembered that he too knew how to draw energy, but he didn't mention it. He just kept her dancing on the edge for hours and hours before finally allowing her to have release. They actually were both enjoying the intimacy and the time together. something about almost losing something, or someone made these times extra sweet.

Alna could feel the imperfections in the skin on his back. She knew he used to be a warrior in the White Army when Laurana's mother was queen, and she also knew he'd been captured by the Douglas. She didn't know where the marks came from, but she did know he earned them defending their people. That made them beautiful to her. She felt his lips moving along her face and she trembled a bit. He kissed her and it seemed her soul was shining a rainbow of colors. She whispered, "You are not giving anything I do not wish to have Nate." Her hands moved to touch his face and chest and map out a mental picture of him for her mind. He was larger and more muscular than she imagined and his face was quite handsome, at least to her mind's eye.

Nate smiled, of course she remembered his history, it made him more at ease, especially when she didn't call him an idiot for being captured as some of the soldiers had upon his return. She was so kind hearted, his own heart warmed. He kissed her deeply, fully prepared to take her over the edge that night. His face was very handsome, despite a cruel scar just above his right eye. He'd gotten free just before Douglas himself tried to slash his eyes to blind him. As he explored her soft curves, he felt unreal, as if this were a dream or trick...one wrong move and he'd be back there again..

Laurana called Cadens name as they finished at the same time. Her earlier stress and overheated feelings were completely gone, and she fell into an easy sleep, but not before saying how much she loved him and their unborn baby. As she rested, she held him closer, not wanting to move at all.

Alna was so bombarded by sensations. Other than Caden hefting her over his shoulder in a very unladylike manner, it had been a decade or more since anyone had touched her. Nate was being so tender and careful and she could feel the gentle restrain he was exercising as if she would break or something. She held him close to her and gave herself over to the passion and the night. If she never had another she would be content to share this night with him. At least she would die knowing what love felt like.

Caden watched her fall asleep determined to last longer than she did, though it was a near thing. She was so utterly beautiful when she slept, and he loved to watcher her. Tonight however, he was tired as well and was very soon after her asleep too.

*************************************************************************************************************

Caden woke well before first light as his internal clock was aware even when he was not able to see the morning sun. He slipped out of bed and began making breakfast, which was by far his best cooking outing since it required the least amount of her gadgets. Soon the smell of coffee (The coffee maker was his favorite of her doodads) and eggs, toast, and bacon would fill the house.

Nathan made love to Alna in the most considerate way, ever scared of hurting the beautiful woman. But as she held him, he understood her needs as well and was never impatient or rough with her. At his release, he pulled her closer against him, soon tired out. As he held her, he let her catch her breath, and stayed with her through the night "I'm not leaving you, Alna." he promised, closing his eyes as he curled up next to her, then asked if she was alright.

Laurana slept deeply that night, but the smells of breakfast and coffee certainly did the job of waking her up, as well as the cold spot in bed where Caden had kept it warm. Shivering, Laurana hurriedly showered under hot water that morning, and dressed in warmer clothes before kissing Caden goodmorning. She thanked him for breakfast and ate everything, even having seconds of eggs and coffee. "What time does Morden want us over?" She asked, resting her head on his shoulder.

Alna was basking in the tremors of afterglow and she held onto him tightly. She couldn't think yet or speak she was sure, but eventually the trembling eased and she was able to breathe normally again. "I am well Nate," she said cuddling close to him, "I hope you do..." she said softly, barely a whispered wish.

Caden smiled and watched her eat. "I'm glad you have a healthy appetite ...our son will be strong and healthy." he said with a grin. "Take your time, Morden has no schedule I've ever been aware of NO worries about getting there at any set time."

Morden had actually not slept at all last night. He'd been thinking about his life, and the safety of the people. They had been caught unaware tonight, and had that been the Douglas, things would ahve been a lot worse. And that rope. he'd been slaving over it trying to uncover the magical thread that had enabled it to steal their magic. What he'd discovered disturbed him a great deal, and had him combing through book after book for a way to protect them from it ever happening again.

Laurana smiled, glad their child would be healthy and strong like his parents. Her next question was a bit more...unnerving as shed never asked this before. "There's no rush to this either then....but when do you think we should marry?" She asked, keeping her tone light as she magically washed all the dishes, pots, pana, and everything else. She knew she wanted to train today as well, but compromised that they would bug Morden that afternoon, and maybe see if he needed help.

In the morning, Nathan had showered and made breakfast for Alna and himself. French toast with bacon and sausage links was the menue this morning, along with flavored coffee. He polished his sword, finding it slightly dusty from yesterday. But soon he'd run out of things to do and relaxed at the counter, watching the sun rise.