Playing with Fire

The more sips of tea she took, the more Carina sank back into her pillows, soon uncaring about the straight back posture she would typically have around Sven. He could berate her about it, but she truly wouldn't give a damn. The warm drink had a level of sweetness to it that she suspected was added due to the shocks of the day, but the chamomile and lavender herbal tea was doing its job of lulling her toward sleep. Even the sudden, yet short, appearance of Sven's frustrations and anger didn't even cause her muscles to tense back up again.

"I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page," she answered coolly, eyes on the tea as she swirled the liquid around in her cup, "Besides, I'm fully aware of how quick you are to act on your emotions, Sven. I'm simply covering all bases."

Reluctantly, the young queen finished her tea and placed it back on the tray. However instead of picking up the food, she left it a moment, allowing her hands to rest absently on her stomach over where the bump would soon form. Her eyes flickered over Sven's form as he revealed his private, emotional thoughts, surprised that he was divulging such information to her. It wasn't exactly something she expected him to admit to her, perhaps to Thorin and maybe even to Lauren but never her. However, she couldn't figure out what he was referring to with his excitement. Was it the natural want of an heir that came with any King? Did he only care about the child because he wanted a way to consolidate his rule over the kingdom and ensure that the Ignisi royal name continued?

Or did this brutal king actually care about being a father?

The second possibility seemed to much to as for when it came to such a cunning and calculating being. Yet Carina knew she couldn't dismiss it entirely.

The smile on his face was slightly unnerving. Not because of the expression, but because of how genuine it seemed. Sven was truly happy about this pregnancy and, either way, seemed extremely excited for the child's arrival.

"Wait, you actually punished Thorin?" Carina finally spoke, looking up from the tray and back to him. She had inwardly been debating trying some of the food he had brought up, but his words had come as a shock. She hadn't imagined that Sven would actually punish someone he considered his closest friend. Perhaps a slap on the wrist but never an actual punishment paired with a demotion, "Why?"

Though the man could have taken advantage of Carina's relaxation and berate her wickedly about it as she had mused, the option wasn't even being considered because it simply wasn't something he felt would be a valuable use of his time - or would have been something he felt had the thought even crossed his mind. Instead of contemplating the ways he could hurt her as he ordinarily would have done in the past, whereby he would seize every chance available to him to get the upperhand of his wife and ensure every living moment was a nightmare, he just couldn't fathom doing anything of the sort now there was a duty of care for the unborn child.

He still despised her and wanted nothing more than to see her suffer... but it was a desire that would unfortunately have to wait until her use to him ran out, and that time would come eventually. It might not be immediately after the baby was born, it might be several months until her necessity ran out, but the time would come and Sven had to patiently wait for it.

But after years upon years of waiting for his parents to die -or get killed-, he was sure he could manage to wait a year or so before he could rid himself of the headache Carina was to him. Hers was a death he was eager to see; a murder by his own hands that he dreamt about, and while it irked him that he would have to deal with her for months on end without retribution as a result of their baby, the eventual death would be worth the patience he had to display.

He let his thoughts distract him from the awkward atmosphere, his mind focused on a mixture of his eventual revenge on Carina and the fatherhood that awaited him, but he was brought back abruptly to the present moment at Carina's apparently shocked questioning. His blue eyes settled on her incredulously, as though not expecting her to be so surprised by something that had been so unavoidable and thus, inevitable.

"What on earth do you mean 'why'? The man almost had you killed as a result of his stupidity, Carina; a stupidity that set forth a regrettable set of actions. We could have lost my baby because of him. Thorin means a lot to me and so his demotion and night in the dungeons really isn't as severe as the punishment ought to be; its a punishment that doesn't fit the crime but-- it was unavoidable. I will not have my baby's life put into danger by anyone, no matter how close they are to me. It's... a shame that my friendship now lies in tatters but my child will always come first, before anyone else. You do not have to believe me, Carina, but that child will be my pride and joy and... I have a duty to protect them - and punish those who hurt -or could have hurt- them."

With a quick nod in emphasis, he let his hands unfurl from the fists they had formed as he was forced to explain his choices. Recalling the punishment wasn't easy when it just reiterated the fact a longtime friendship had been ruined - but he didn't regret the choices he had made; not when it set a very clear precedent.

"I'll leave you to rest. I recommend you try and get to sleep soon if you can. We have a busy day tomorrow; I want you to attend the public executions of several of those unruly citizens who attacked the carriage earlier. I can't massacre the entire crowd, Carina, but I can certainly gather some of them and make my opinion -that you are not to be harmed- crystal clear to them. So that'll take place after breakfast if you'd care to join me. I think you might enjoy it if you came along."

Her eyes remained on his, watching carefully as he explained his reasoning. While his exhilaration was a completely new side to him that Carina had never seen before, this new protective and almost possessive behaviour over the unborn child was equally as confounding. She had always known his eagerness to have a child, but the more he spoke at length about ensuring the baby's safety and the lengths he would go to in order to secure it, Carina realised she had massively underestimated his passion. The more he talked, the more she realised that this wasn't just about having an heir. This was also about being a father.

However, Carina was sure she would feel the exact same as him if things were reversed. If she were to find out that Lauren had allowed something to slip through that could have caused harm to her baby, Carina would have been furious.

Reluctantly she dropped her gaze, looking down to where her hands rested over her lower abdomen. Her thumb quietly stroked over the soft bed sheets, brow furrowing as she attempted to wrap her head around his confession. It had truly taken her by surprise, this admission. Thorin hadn't known she was pregnant, and while they were trying, it wasn't as if things had been successful. Although, Carina knew she should have known better than to request a ride through the villages, understanding the Ignisian hatred aimed her way. But in the moment, it had been a lot to take in, and she desperately needed to get out from the four walls that felt like they were pressing in on her at the time.

Sharply looking back to him, she pushed herself back up into a proper sitting position. However she paused at what came next, actually hesitating in responding to him.

While she wished to see justice served for those who called for her head, Carina wasn't entirely sure if she would be able to stomach such an event. Her nausea was already all over the place and the events of the day were scarring enough. She wasn't particularly keen to see some of the worst agitators swinging by a rope, or worse - have the scent of charred and melted flesh stinging her nose if they were to meet their fates within one of the many volcanoes surrounding the landscape.

However, she couldn't allow her strength to waver in front of Sven now. Him seeing her at possibly her most vulnerable after the attack was bad enough. She knew she would have to go to the executions; her facade had to remain in tact, and the people couldn't be allowed to know how much of an effect it had on her.

"Executions are never something to enjoy, Sven. While this was personal, watching another person die isn't exactly what I would do for enjoyment." She sighed, finally moving so she could lay out in the bed after gently moving the tray a safe distance away, food still untouched. "But if you would like me there... then I shall be. However I would appreciate it if you could have Lauren - or someone - create a little smelling bundle. Perhaps of lavender or mint... something nicely scented by potent enough to cover any... smells that might invoke more nausea. I don't know how you intend to execute these people, but if it's by fire then I'm not sure how well I'll cope with the scent of burning flesh."

A thought then briefly popped into her mind, nagging at her with an idea which made her pause again as she moved her pillows around. Her eyes briefly moved to Sven again, fingers toying with the corner of her one pillow. "I don't... suppose..." She began before trailing off and shaking her head, "No, no. Never mind."

She knew he would never allow it. Although it could have been the perfect way to make a statement, but then also perhaps even prove that she has accepted her fate as he may have wished her to. However, Carina doubted he would ever allow such a thing to occur, considering the concern he may have on it not only giving her a taste for her powers again, but also the potential strain on the child.

After allowing the news to properly sink in that he was to be a father, Sven had allowed a softer emotion to show through his usually well-constructed facade; a sign of genuineness breaking through an expression that nobody could ever be entirely sure was real. The joy he expressed in the privacy of the bedroom, with just Carina present, couldn't be faked; the gleeful smile and the twinkle in his eye as he let his mind wander to the future he would spend with his child simply incapable of being manufactured to such a degree.

This softer side wasn't something he ever showed because it wasn't something that truly ever existed before the news of the pregnancy had reached his ears. He had no real need to appear that way when there was nothing he really cared about to such an extent before. He had been delighted when his parents died, overjoyed when he was crowned as King, but those occasions hadn't introduced a softer side to the surface; all they had done was emphasised the bloodthirsty nature of the young King; reiterated the fact he cared about nothing but the power he could wield and his dedication to do whatever it took to get as much of it as he could.

The news that he would have a child was an entirely new situation that brought on new emotions for him and trying to stop them reaching the surface was impossible. Yet, they did drift away quickly at Carina's remarks regarding the punishment of the rioters, his smile growing strained as his eyes rolled incredulously. Of course, he should have expected her to be less than enthused about the public deaths and having to witness it herself but to hear her downplay the enjoyment made him snort in disbelief, an all too familiar smugness attaching itself to his expression in place of the rare genuine smile before it.

"On the contrary, executions are a marvellous way to enjoy oneself, Carina. What could be better than seeing some foul criminal set on fire before the kingdom, getting the punishment he or she rightly deserves? Tomorrow, five of those men that attacked the carriage will be burned alive - of course we'll set them on fire. Look around you, Carina; we're in a kingdom born from the flames. Death by fire is far more fitting than the guillotine or the gallows would be."

With that, he reached forward for the tray, a muttering under his breath indicative of his annoyance at the untouched food - though he let it slide in the knowledge that entering an argument over it wasn't something either of them needed at the moment, Carina especially. The effort he had gone through to make it just to have it be left was annoying but he held his tongue nonetheless, standing in preparation to leave the room and dispose of it all - until realising Carina had continued to speak, his brow arching curiously the more she did so.

"...No, finish what you started to say, don't be rude," he encouraged, stepping forward closer to the bed with his eyes narrowing. "What were you going to ask, Carina? I may say no but you don't know until you ask, do you? So spit it out, hm?"

Her eyes followed him around the room, carefully monitoring his body language and behaviour. It truly did amaze her how little they had bickered that evening, and she supposed it was all down to him wanting to keep a stress-free environment for their child. It did not go unnoticed by Carina that Sven kept referring to it as his child rather than collectively acknowledging it was theirs. She knew it was due to his disregard and distaste for her, but she would soon make it her mission to remind him that, while the child would be his, it would always have a part of her within it too.

Mind torn away from the baby in question, she focused back on their discussion regarding some of the rioters and his plans for them. Her nose wrinkled at the mere prospect, stomach once more turning even at the idea of the charred flesh scent that would undoubtedly reach them once the sentence had been carried out.

Carina had no issues with the perpetrators being punished for their crimes - she would have sentenced the men exactly the same should it have been her decision to make. It was more the prospect of how they would die. Being from a land of ice and snow, fire had always been seen as a thing of destruction. Everything was over so quickly, all because of hungry flames that were often too greedy for their own good.

So, despite Sven pushing her to continue with her previously halted question, his words regarding the punishment that would be dished out caused her to believe that her suggestion undoubtedly be laughed at. As he moved to the bed, she paused before pushing back the bed sheets in order to slide across and kneel on the edge of the bed. Closer to him, but looking up, still hesitant.

"I didn't feel like there was much point in asking, I don't think I've once been given something I want here without a bargain being put in place." Carina tutted, sitting back on her heels with her hands resting on her thighs.

Glancing over her shoulder to the window, taking in the view of the volcanic landscape and orange and red skies as the sun set, the young queen cleared her throat and looked back.

"It was more something I thought... could benefit the both of us. A statement, of sorts." She began slowly, trying to find the words that would make the prospect most attractive and appealing to him, "Let me kill them. Take this stupid bracelet off just for the executions. I'll kill them as slowly and as tortuously as you would with your flames only with my ice. Now-- now, before you argue... just think of what a statement you would be making. You'll still stay strong as a king, show that people will get punished if they consider harming me and therefore harming their future heir...but again I'm doing your dirty work for you. You keep your hands - relatively - clean, and we both get the justice we want for what those people could have done to our child."

She took that moment to reach up for some of the food he brought her, taking a slice of bruschetta-like food from the plate to bring to her lips. She ate the slice slowly, allowing him a moment to consider her words. A purposeful show of seeming to act as he wished her to.

"Before you worry about the child, I will make sure to eat as big a breakfast as you and the doctor would like. I'll rest immediately after. It'll be five people-- that's what you said, correct? That's nothing. I promise nothing will happen to our child if you let me do this. If-- if it does, then you can unleash whatever kind of sadistic punishment you want on me before we try again."

It was a massive thing to offer him, as Carina could only imagine what sorts of things her dear husband imagined inflicting on her. Yet it showed the confidence Carina had in being able to use her powers and it not hurting the baby in anyway. Or at least she hoped.

Whatever Sven might have expected from his wife, her desire to kill the rioters herself wasn't it. It wasn't necessarily the desire itself that he found all that surprising - her former plans of the uprising that eventually ended in his parents' death was evidence that Carina had that sort of streak in her. His surprise came more from the method in which she desired to kill them, his jaw tightening at the idea of removing the bracelet that had done a sterling job at restricting the usage of her powers.

Powers which he knew could kill him instantaneously. Even in a kingdom of fire and flames, the ice she could produce could slaughter and kill him within seconds if she chose to unleash it on him, and after everything he had done to her, from the murder of her brother before her eyes and the subsequent emotional torture she experienced down in the dungeons, he felt he was within his right to be concerned that rather than aim that power on the rioters, her first point of action would be to kill her husband instead.

Despite the executions taking place in the centre of the kingdom, with a large crowd observing, he doubted that she would be able to resist killing him the first chance she had and then making a run for it, taking the risk of capture in order to get the revenge he had no doubt she had dreamt of ever since he tore Emmett apart before her eyes.

There was the concern that the usage of the powers could also affect the baby and even the promise that he could torture her if things did go terribly wrong wasn't enough to make him agree. How could he willingly put his unborn child's life potentially on the line? Punishing Carina would be enjoyable, but it wasn't worth risking the life of the child he already loved with all his heart - though Carina's earlier encouragement had caught his attention, the King knowing that there were considerable advantages to be had in letting her do as she wished.

Though the fear he had was that she wouldn't actually do that.

"...Now call me paranoid, but I have the very distinct feeling that you'll end up turning those powers of yours onto me instead. That before I can even blink, I'll have a shard of ice impaled through my heart or my throat. Then you'll take the risk and run off, possibly finding an escape if you're extremely fortunate. There's a fucking reason I've got that bracelet on your wrist, Carina. I don't want to remove it and reap the consequences," he hissed through gritted teeth, though the fact he carefully returned to his seat rather than storm out after his word was evidence that he hadn't quite made up his mind; that he was there to be convinced.

"I admit that it would benefit me as much as it would you. The child's life is a concern of mine but as you say, you'll take full responsibility if something unspeakable does occur - but really, I'm not sure I'd even trust you to kill those men. I'm almost certain you'll turn your attention to me first; have me slaughtered before my own people. I don't even think I'm paranoid; I'm confident that is what you have planned, isn't it?"

It would be a lie to say that the thought hadn't crossed her mind. Carina knew how tempting it would be, should Sven allow her to do as she had asked, to simply turn to her husband and send a shard of ice skewering through his throat. The temptation to watch him gurgle and gag and drown in his own blood was one that played in her dreams some nights. She wished to have him die in the same way Emmett did, unable to breathe as his own blood bubbled in his windpipe and filled his lungs.

However, that was a want that would not serve her at all well. It was a short term game and Carina was in this for the long haul with Lauren. She wouldn't be stupid enough to attempt to kill Sven right now, not when he was in the height of his power. The people loved him, the staff in the castle where either of the same opinion or feared him too greatly to go against him.

And to kill him in such a large public gathering? How idiotic did he think she was?

"Doing such a thing would be a certified way to get myself killed. Why would I kill the one thing that is currently keeping me, and my child, alive and well?" She pointed out with ease, slipping off the edge of the bed to stand now herself.

Carina took heart in the fact that he was still in her room; obviously still interested in what she had to say. She knew she had him hooked, she now just needed to reel him in. She had to play her part well, and needed to act in certain ways in order to convince him that her suggestion was a good idea. Not to mention, convince him to trust her even for the short amount of time that the execution would be.

"Just imagine how it will look to your people. To see that you are not at all worried about me and my ice because you are in control. They would see a king who has managed to control a kingdom of ice and their queen. They will look to you in awe because of how well you can control me, trusting that I wouldn't kill you but actually kill on your command instead."

She knew she was laying it on thick, but she had to build a small amount of trust within Sven. He may hate her, but if she acted dutifully and didn't attempt to take his life at each opportunity she could... it could begin to sway him. Especially now with the added weakness he now had - his child.

The young queen walked to where he sat once more in the armchair, quietly crouching down so she could look up at him. "It is fully understandable that you wouldn't want to trust me, Sven. However, what do I have to gain, right now, from killing you? I have no allies left, no family, no people. I couldn't take over Ignis, the people would revolt. I would be murdered and our future child with it. As much as it displeases me that it will be of your blood, it is also of mine. I would protect this child with my life."

Standing, she paused before reaching out to take his hand, daring to press his palm against her lower abdomen which, at the moment, was still relatively flat.

"If I'm to trust that you will do everything in your power to keep harm from me and therefore our child... you should trust me to do the same."

"...You're being sickening, Carina; the way you're acting right now is, if not desperate, alarmingly insincere - if only because it's so out of character for you. Why on earth would you do anything that might improve my standing amongst my people, if such a thing is even possible? Surely you'd prefer to sit back and watch my trusted executioner light the fire than kill the rioters yourself, knowing doing so would undoubtedly benefit me? Are you really that eager to kill someone, to see the life drain from their eyes? Yet I'm the sadist, of course."

With a smirk, the man rested back against the armchair, his amusement perhaps helping to disguise the amount of cogs at work; how deep in thought he genuinely was regarding Carina's intentions. It didn't make any sense for her to risk killing him in front of his people when she would likely get caught and killed herself. If she cared about the baby as much as he did, she wouldn't dare to risk her life in such a way when being captured and killed was almost a guarantee - so perhaps he could believe that killing him wasn't the intention.

But why help him? Why go out of her way to kill the rioters herself when it wasn't a necessity and when doing so would benefit the husband she had every right to hate? It didn't make sense and the picture might not ever clear itself, but he had to make a decision and even though he really didn't understand her reasoning, any opportunity to appear powerful to his people was an opportunity he was going to seize with both hands.

Even if he was almost entirely certain Carina had some other motive - he wasn't exactly in belief of her reasoning thus far.

"...Fine. Okay. You can kill them yourself, we'll temporarily remove the bracelet to allow you to do that," he relented eventually, his head tilting a little to watch as she purposely placed his hand on her abdomen. As determined as he was not to break from the stern expression he wore, a faint smile flickered at his lips before he could help it, knowing that beneath his palm was his baby, however small the thing currently was.

Though that hand rested gently upon her stomach, the other reached out with juxtaposing harshness to grip Carina's chin, his fingers hard against her skin as he forcefully tilted her head upwards to him again.

"I suppose I can believe that you don't plan on killing me tomorrow, I don't think you're that stupid, but I do plan on inflicting a great deal of pain on you should anything happen to my child, Carina. Whatever my mind can creatively conjure up, however vicious and torturous: it will be inflicted upon you should my baby suffer as a result of your plans tomorrow. You can go through with it but be aware of the consequences should it go terribly wrong, hm? As long as you're aware of that, then it seems like everything is sorted here. I'll see you at breakfast tomorrow, I hope - you'll need a good meal to build your strength up."

Her act briefly dropped at his words, eyes narrowing and her hand tightened slightly over his as she kept it held to her stomach. "These aren't just people, Sven. These five men wanted me, and therefore my baby, dead. I wouldn't kill anyone without reason-- a justified reason." She retorted coolly, "I've never been one to sit back and let something happen, you of all people know that." She raised an eyebrow but not elaborating, knowing she didn't need to.

While Carina herself hated the way she was acting for him, speaking in such a way and suggesting to him ways to increase his strength and his power, she knew what it was for. She knew that, while he would be suspicious and cautious about anything she recommended or proposed, he would never be able to ignore the siren call of increasing his power.

It was one of his weaknesses. It seemed like he could never have enough.

The narrowed gaze gave way to a delighted smirk as he agreed to allow her to kill those that had been the biggest threat of the day. Carina may not enjoy being called sadistic, but her mind was already racing with ideas on how to use her ice. It had been so long, perhaps almost ten months. She would have to be careful, for all she knew there could be a surge of strength from how long it had been built up within her. That short time without her bracelet on would be the time she showed her own strength and her own control. In the display she would show tomorrow, she would remind the people of Ignis, and even Sven, just how terrifying or powerful she could be in her own way.

However her thoughts were briefly interrupted by the tight grip on her chin. Going still, Carina allowed the hand that rested over his to slip away. Her hands formed fists and her jaw clenched, but she didn't move, instead meeting his gaze as he wished for her to do.

"Nothing will happen to our child." She answered sharply, tone crisp and cold as she made the promise.

Carina couldn't know for sure, but she was aware of the fact that her mother had continued using her powers while pregnant with Carina and Emmett. If nothing happened then, the young queen was certain nothing would happen to her own child. If anything, she hoped that the use of her powers would, in some way, influence the baby's future powers.

Once he was done with his speech, she ripped her chin from his hand and took a step back. She ignored the urge to rub at her chin, instead forcing a pleasant smile to her lips, "I'm glad we could come to some sort of arrangement. Good night, Sven."

"I hope nothing happens to my child but it's hardly something you can guarantee to me, is it? Not when you'll be using your powers for the first time in months; who knows what effect that'll have? It's for that reason alone that I don't want you going ahead with this little plan of yours but you seem passionate about it, so let's hope it all goes smoothly for you. For both of us."

Though he would have ordinarily taken great joy in the threats, vague or otherwise, that he made to Carina, Sven couldn't derive any sort of enjoyment from the current threat that lingered over his wife's head; not when it relied on harm coming to their baby to be acted upon. He might enjoy the threats he placed upon her and would adore acting upon them even more (especially after the behaviour involved during their first time together which was an incident he had yet to forget) but this was one rare time where he wished it didn't have to come to that. He would pray to whatever Gods were out there (gods he didn't necessarily even believe in) that his child was kept safe throughout Carina's plan tomorrow; that he wouldn't need to seek revenge against her if things did go terribly wrong.

It was a fear that he hadn't wanted to let fill his mind so soon after learning the news of the pregnancy. He wanted to bask in the happiness the news brought him; to spend the night celebrating, even if that was by himself now his friendship with Thorin had taken a sharp turn downwards. Instead, he was now full of unease and dread, his fists unfurling and tightening quickly in that rising anxiety that he was trying desperately to fight off.

"...Just be careful; know your limits. I want those men to suffer but don't exhaust yourself tomorrow. I won't relentlessly tease or taunt you if you decide you can't execute all of them, if it gets too much for you. You've spent months not using the power, Carina; I'd... understand if the sudden rush of power tires you out before you can finish the job. Just know when to take a step back because it isn't just you that'll suffer now, and it's primarily the safety of my child that I care about," he reiterated as he stood from the chair, retrieving the tray from the bed with a faint nod in acknowledgement that she had at least managed to eat something. As little as it was, he could at least leave the room somewhat content that she had something to sustain her through the night.

"I'll be seeing Lauren tonight so I can inform her of your plans. She'll need to attend the execution with you, of course, so it's best she's made aware in order to prepare herself," he remarked casually. He wasn't aware of the plans they were concocting together, the simple mention of Lauren and the hinting towards the intimacy he intended to share with her that night being a throwaway remark that he hadn't made to get under Carina's skin. How could it be when he had the impression that the two women had a visceral hatred towards one another?

"I'll see you in the morning, nice and early. Goodnight, Carina."

The next morning, Carina was actually buzzing with an excitement she hadn't felt for months - perhaps even years. The damn bracelet was finally being removed, even if only for a few moments, from her wrist. She would be able to wield her magic for the first time in nine, maybe even ten, months.

Even though it would be a brief event, it was one that she looked forward to eagerly. She didn't even care about hiding such keenness in front of Sven, who would undoubtedly know how much this moment would mean to her. As for Lauren, Carina hadn't had a chance to explain her thoughts and plan to the young woman. It irked her that she couldn't have Lauren with her for the night as she had planned to do, but knew she couldn't argue against what Sven had planned for the evening which obviously had Lauren in mind. She was sure that her husband would speak to the maid about tomorrow's events, and that Lauren would have plenty of questions; all of which Carina would answer.

She knew that Lauren sometimes questioned her methods, as she had done the night that she wanted to seduce Sven the first time they slept together. However it had proven masterful, and while Carina knew that Sven probably dreamed of all the things he would do to her once he got the chance in retaliation, she could hold it over her husband for the rest of their time together.

Nonetheless, that was a worry for another time. That morning, Carina's mind was occupied with the ways she would kill the men who had been arrested for inciting the violence against her. She planned to dispose of them in five different ways, both for her own amusement but also just to send a little reminder to the Ignisi people - and Sven for that matter - of how dangerous she could be should her powers ever be used on them. The last death she had planned would be the most tiring, but the others would take such little energy that Carina was not concerned for her well-being, or the child growing inside her. She knew they would both be perfectly safe.

And she hoped to the gods she no longer believed in that that was the truth.

After dealing with her bout of morning sickness, Carina brushed her teeth before moving to ready herself for the day. She knew to expect Lauren a little later than normal, as was accustomed whenever she spent the night with Sven. So she sat at the vanity table, a dress with no corset chosen now she knew of her pregnancy - she didn't want any additional pressure on her stomach. However the buttons still needed doing on her back, and while she waited, the Queen ran her brush through her hair.

It was mildly disappointing that her kingdom's colours were not allowed in her wardrobe, as this day would have been the most perfect to wear them. However, Carina had embraced the issue and instead chose the most fire-like dress possible, adding a spritz of musky perfume that she knew her husband favoured. If she was going to act like the wife that Sven, and the Ignis people, wanted her to be, then by the gods was she about to make it uncomfortable for him.

Lauren might have regretted not being able to be with Carina as much as she wanted to be during the previous night, having hoped to fetch her her tea and use that privacy as a good way of reflecting on what had happened and prepare for future plans... but one glance from Sven after his interruption had all but ended that desire. Being dismissed earlier than she had expected to be from her duties to the Queen might have been irritating at first when it disrupted a moment she wanted to share with her friend, but it hadn't come without any advantages - Sven's time with the Queen allowed Lauren to focus on an element of the overall plan that had become somewhat abandoned, or at least hadn't been prioritised as much as it should have been.

And with Sven preoccupied in Carina's room, there had been ample time for Lauren to put some attention back into it.

She had learnt of Thorin's punishment from another maid and so, during the time the royal couple were otherwise engaged in their discussions of punishing those for the carriage incident, Lauren had been down in the dungeon, sneaking in refreshments for Thorin. It was the perfect opportunity to build up the bond with him, after all. Now his and Sven's friendship was in tatters, the maid could swoop in, building not just a romance with Thorin but a loyalty; one that would come in handy in the future.

The rest of the night during the private celebrations was less enjoyable, albeit not for the reasons Lauren had assumed. It was why she arrived to Carina's room not just on time but sporting a confused expression, one that had failed to budge since the events of last night.

"...Morning," she greeted with a quick smile, immediately hurrying forward to help Carina when noticing the back of the dress needed attention. Her fingers worked as quickly as ever, able to work at the job despite the maid's attention drifting elsewhere, her eyes focused on the scenery outside the window without really taking any of it in.

"How's the morning sickness today? Hopefully a little easier?" She asked casually as she stood back from the other, setting her hands together in front of her - not out of a sense of professionalism, but because she wasn't sure what else to do with them. "...Sorry. For the awkwardness. I just-- had an odd night, I suppose."

"Still as persistent as ever. At this rate I'm beginning to wonder if this child is truly like it's father and trying to torment me itself." Carina drawled in amusement, eyebrow quirked as she studied the maid through the mirror. It had not gone unnoticed by her that her new friend had arrived as on time, something that didn't usually happen after a night with Sven. While Carina knew that her husband typically kicked the women out of his bedroom once he had slept with them, she also didn't want Lauren to be in any discomfort and had instructed early on that the maid should take her time with whatever she needed to do the morning after.

So it was odd to have Lauren arrive on time, equally as concerning to see the confused expression. Carina lowered the brush as she had noticed the maid's attention was diverted, so by the time Carina answered, Lauren had the queen's full attention.

At the confession that came next, Carina turned in her seat to face her. The humour that glimmered in her eyes regarding the unborn child growing within her faded, and instead a furrowed brow was soon expressed. The queen scooted across on the short vanity table bench and reached out for Lauren's hands, gently pulling on them to encourage the other young woman to sit down beside her.

"Tell me. What's the matter? I know you would have spent the night with him, did something happen?" She pressed, worried as to what may have occurred. Never had she seen Lauren look so befuddled and it caused a level of anxiety to rise within Carina.

Lauren was so caught up in her own thoughts, drifting off into her own world, that she wasn't even aware that she had grown distracted. Carina's following questions, therefore, caught her by surprise as she shut her mouth and attempted to feign normalcy - only to realise by the time she was gestured to take a seat beside the Queen that pretending to be fine would be a complete and utter waste of her energy.

With a sigh, she allowed herself to be pulled towards the space besides Carina, though remained silent for the best part of a minute as she thought about whether to confess what the matter with her was or not. Carina had enough on her plate and didn't need to be inundated with more worries and concerns when, really, there wad no need to trouble her if it could be helped.

Though the possibility of future trouble was something that encouraged Lauren to speak up. However minimal it was now, it could spiral into something much more troubling later on and she only had herself to blame if she failed to speak up on her concerns now when they were first budding, just in case they could have stopped whatever came later on.

"He called me to his bedroom but we didn't... I mean, he didn't want to sleep with me. He simply wanted me to pick him out an outfit for today, which in and of itself was strange behaviour, but-- before that, at the private party-- he spent the entirety of it sat in the corner with Natalia, talking in hushed tones. I... It could be nothing, of course it could, but it's been playing on my mind. They were hunched over, talking and glancing around as if to ensure nobody was eavesdropping, and it didn't look like a casual conversation between lovers, Carina; they looked like they were-- I don't know. Talking about something serious; like they were planning something."

She frowned after the admission, almost embarrassed by it. Of course, there was a huge possibility that what she had witnessed was serious; that the two were sat away from the liveliness and whispering to one another for some nefarious reason, with both their personalities suggesting that would be the case, but there was no evidence of it. They were sat talking and that really was it - yet it had plagued Lauren throughout the night, causing her a restlessness in her panic.

"They-- what if they know about us, Carina? Our plans? Our friendship? I'm being paranoid, I know, but there was something about the way they were sat, the way they were talking; it wasn't... there was something going on and it makes me uneasy not knowing what it was. I tried asking Sven, at least casually hinting towards it, and he refused to even entertain me. And usually, he's... very open with me; he likes telling me things. I'm-- I'm being paranoid, aren't I?"

At the confession, the frown on Carina's expression only deepened further. Her back straightened as she considered what it could mean, a finger gently tapping against the top of Lauren's hand as her own continued to hold them. It was a concerning notion, while it could mean nothing, it would always be hard to not be paranoid. And with what the two women were attempting to plan and eventually pull off, paranoia would be rife.

However, as Lauren admitted, Carina had come to know that her husband did enjoy being open with his lovers. So for him to not indulge in a night with the maid and confess his own worries and concerns as he usually did... it was an odd one. Especially after a day as explosive as yesterday.

"There's no way they could know - we've been careful, Lauren. So careful in fact that I'm surprised you don't hate me simply because of what I say in order to get him to believe us," she smiled softly, attempting to reassure her friend as she patted her hand, "Even yesterday when our friendship had the possibility of showing through after everything we had just gone through... no. I-- I refuse to believe that little snake knows anything."

Yet Carina still breathed out heavily, swallowing thickly as she attempted to fight back against her own anxieties.

"It could be a number of things... truly. Perhaps he was confiding in Natalia about his lost friendship with Thorin. Maybe it was a discussion regarding today's executions... but I refuse to entertain the idea that he knows about our friendship."

For Carina, worst case scenario would be that Sven changed his mind about allowing her to play executioner for the day. And the best... he was having a little bitch about losing Thorin. Thinking more on what she had just been told, Carina snorted with amusement as another scenario popped into her mind, causing her to stand and carefully pull her friend up to stand with her.

"Perhaps he's knocked the bitch up and didn't want to do the same to you." Carina grinned, trying to diffuse the panic that was clearly plaguing Lauren. "Could you imagine if that got out? The seemingly perfect Ignisian King getting one of his many mistresses pregnant?"

She took hold of Lauren's chin in a tender hold, the grin turning into a reassuring smile. The queen was still spooked herself by what Lauren had witnessed, but she couldn't allow that to show. Lauren had remained strong for her for the entirety of yesterday, so now it was her turn to be that reassuring pillar of strength. "If we have any suspicions that he suspects anything, stay close to me. He wouldn't dare do something while I'm still pregnant with his child. I will also have my powers for a limited time today, if I need to do anything to keep our secret safe, then it will be done."

Despite the reassurances, it was evident from Lauren's fidgeting and inability to keep her hands still that she was on edge, allowing her thoughts and the worry swamping them from taking control. With a clear head, she would be able to recognise the oddness of the moment without allowing herself to worry too much about what it could mean when, in reality, it could all be relatively innocent. Yet, she had spent the entire night watching them whisper amongst one another and when Sven had refused to divulge what the conversation had been about, her anxiety had only grown from there; growing into the anxiety she was unable to fight off.

The idea that Sven might have got even an inkling about her friendship with Carina would undoubtedly ruin everything - but knowing Sven, he wouldn't come out and admit he knew. He would act as though everything was fine, continue acting normal before unleashing fury when they least expected it. That slyness was something she had come to associate with him, and because of that, she couldn't be sure what would happen next; not when Sven was such an expert at hiding his true thoughts and feelings.

Even if he knew nothing, him acting like everything was fine would still make Lauren worry, as though it was some facade hiding the fact he knew the truth about her.

"I-- I'm sure he doesn't know, we've been careful, like you said," she eventually admitted as she forced herself to take into consideration how Sven would possibly know - and when she had been careful, like Carina had been, there really was no way the King could know with absolute certainty that something was going on. That was enough to relieve some of the maid's rising stress, a smile finally gracing her face as she pushed back the worst of her fears.

"I-- god, I'm sorry for bringing all of this onto you; it's not stress you need, Carina. I'm certain I'm overthinking it, it was just-- odd. But I'm sure they were discussing Thorin, that makes sense. It's disturbed Sven, he's admitted as much to me, so I'm sure he chose to share that with Natalia too," she nodded in agreement, resting back against the seat with a renewed calm finally washing over her, even if was quickly overcome by confusion once more.

"He's allowing you to use your power-- whatever for? I mean, he did find time to briefly mention to me that I would need to help you in preparation for the executions, but he never mentioned your powers. That's... I struggle to understand why he'd allow that, Carina. Surely he wouldn't let you; he'd fear you would kill him with them, wouldn't he?"

"You were right to bring this to my attention Lauren. Besides, we're friends, anything that is bothering you, I want to know about it. Friends help and reassure each other, don't they? It's no stress at all, besides, if it is something more serious, then it's better I'm aware of it. Ever since moving to Ignis I've hated surprises." Carina grinned, removing her hand from Lauren's chin and allowing it to rest in her lap.

While it seemed like Lauren had been calmed for the time being, Carina's curiosity and suspicion had spiked. What could Sven and Natalia been whispering about last night? Paranoia did continue to whisper to her that perhaps they were onto her and Lauren, Carina knew that couldn't be the case. They had been too careful, their act too well played out.

Their whispering could have been about any number of things. Thorin, the new pregnancy, how they would announce the pregnancy, the executions... perhaps Sven was even just informing Natalia of the pregnancy - Carina suspected that the woman wouldn't take such news well, though, and would have needed to be told privately rather than publicly. However if it had been a party, a small and private affair in order to celebrate the news... what would have made her husband - who had been so delighted with the success and the prospect of fatherhood - return to his usual serious and calculating self?

Focusing back on Lauren's next questions, Carina remembered that the maid wasn't fully aware of the conversation with Sven that night and the grin grew in strength again.

"I've convinced him to allow me to execute the men that instigated the riot yesterday," she explained, "now, before you worry... I'm ninety percent certain that nothing will happen to the baby - my mother used her powers when pregnant with myself and Emmett and we turned out just fine." She turned to face the mirror again, briefly playing with her hair to see how she should wear it for the day, "While I would have otherwise been happy to simply watch the men be executed another way, I thought I would... seize the moment."

Releasing her hair so it fell back down over her shoulders, the young queen looked back to Lauren, "I need to build Sven's trust when it comes to my powers. If I can have this bracelet off and use my powers without killing him, then maybe some day he may become complacent and the bracelet will be removed for a final time. It'll take a few scenarios to mollify him - events where I would have no clear escape, that I would be risking my own life to end his. But soon... soon that will escalate to a point where he will, hopefully, feel like he no longer needs to keep the bracelet on my wrist." Carina paused, studying Lauren, "Do you understand?"

Lauren wasn't sure anything could take her mind fully off the secret conversation she had witnessed during the celebrations last night, but hearing Carina was anticipating using her powers in killing five of the many perpetrators of the violence against them definitely achieved that, her thoughts immediately occupied by a mixture of worries and general questions.

She didn't care less about the executions themselves, finding Sven's decision to gather five of the most vocal, violent protesters and execute them publicly to be a surprising, but not unappreciated, precedent. Even if she knew he was only making the decision because of his unborn child and how devastatingly things might have ended up, the sheer fact he was being so protective was at least something positive she could say about him. She doubted his intentions regarding a child but apparently, he wasn't as uncaring as his parents were; he actively wanted a child because he wanted to be a father, and that was at least commendable.

It was just a shame that he was an awful human being, otherwise Lauren would find his excitement sweet. She couldn't really find it sweet that some poor child would be raised by a monster of a man, after all.

What did alert her was the fact Carina would be using her powers, her immediate thought being the potential strain on the unborn child. She knew nothing of powers and how they worked so her concern, she felt, was valid - though because she knew absolutely nothing about them, she had no argument against Carina's reassurances. Who was she to argue when Carina was more of an expert about it than she could ever be?

"...I understand. I'm... sort of looking forward to it? I've only seen glimpses of Sven's powers and they terrify me - but I suppose I'd find it amazing if I liked the man. It is... amazing, isn't it? How you're able to do something like that? I... I want to see what you're capable of, I suppose - and if you're killing those awful men, then there's no downside. I'm not comfortable with death but they deserve it, and if you get to seize the moment, then I think it's a good thing; I understand, Carina," she confirmed as she reached back for her hand, offering a quick squeeze to emphasise that encouragement. Everything seemed to be coming together with their plans, and Carina's brief usage of her power later that morning ought to help them in the long run.

"...Right, let's get your hair done, shall we? If you're late down to breakfast, I can only imagine Sven will have something to say about it, so let's get you sorted. Today's important for a lot of reasons; I want you to look your best when you're killing those bastards in front of that crowd. Show 'em who's boss and all of that."

There was a sense of relief that Carina didn't expect to feel when Lauren informed her that she understood. She knew she had no need to seek understanding or permission from her friend, yet it was sought after. They were a team in this, after all. It was difficult at times, to make such decisions as the openings came when she least expected them - such as the one last night and the opportunity when she and Sven had their first night together. However, she trusted Lauren to be careful and get the necessary, and most interesting, information out of Sven when necessary. Hopefully that trust was reciprocated and the young woman knew that Carina was doing what she felt best.

"I convinced him that it would be a show of his strength, you know, being able to 'let me off the leash', as it were, with my powers. I know I said it's a chance to begin manipulating him into believing he has that control over me... But I also intend to use it as my own display. I realised yesterday that those people, the Ignisi people, have forgotten who I am and my lineage. They need to be reminded of what I could do; Sven needs to be reminded."

Her tone was firm and strong, confident in her abilities with an small gleam of excitement to her eye at the prospect of feeling the strength of her powers again. Carina was slightly concerned about what the fallout would be like once the bracelet was removed and how intense it would be at first. In all her knowledge of history, she couldn't think of a time that anyone in any royal family had such a device put on them that limited or held back any form of power.

Carina turned to face the mirror as Lauren mentioned her hair, grinning broadly as she sat still. "At least the deaths I have planned won't be as messy as what Sven had in mind. But I promise it will be equally as painful, if not more so." She drawled, hand coming to rest over the bloated area of her abdomen.

"And as for being late to breakfast, Sven can keep his comments to himself as far as I'm concerned. He won't know when I've had a restless night or when I've slept like a baby. If I'm late, early or on time is of no concern to him. He should just be grateful I'll be turning up to eat with him. Even if this little creature in my belly seems intent on making me lose my breakfast almost as soon as I'm done." Her hand gently rubbed across her abdomen and despite the noun she had labelled it with, Carina couldn't help the fond smile that had settled on her lips.

"These symptoms aren't pleasant... but I'm sure the little beast will be worth it. Now-- hair. Like you said, I definitely need to look my best."

Though she wasn't prepared to admit it aloud, Lauren knew she was guilty of forgetting and even simply overlooking the power that Carina held in her veins. Long before she had stepped foot in Ignis or Eira, when life was peaceful back on her island before its horrific and unjust invasion, Lauren had always known about the powers the royal families of those kingdoms held - it was knowledge everyone on her island possessed. Nobody on Harenae held such powers so the idea of humans being able to wield an element as powerful as fire or as sharp as ice had always been awe-inspiring... as well as just another reason to stay out of the political affairs on the mainland.

Lauren had never had a chance to really forget the fire that Sven could conjure, even though he rarely had an opportunity to use it. The man's fiery personality was a constant reminder to the elemental force he could call upon in less than a second, to use against anyone that dared to cross him. In all her time in the kingdom, working for him, she had always feared that force, never allowing herself to forget the threat the man possessed.

Never having witnessed Carina's power like she had Sven's, it was easier for her to forget that she was just as threatening a force as her husband was; just as strong and just as much of a force to be reckoned with. She had spent months unable to wield that force and, as a result of that and the lack of experience Lauren had with it, the maid had almost completely forgotten about it, as embarrassing as she felt that was.

But this was a chance for her to witness it with her own eyes, knowing that when she did, she would undoubtedly feel the same unnerve that everyone observing it would. She was just a simple human, after all - anyone being able to use such powers would make her feel nervous, regardless of the bond they held. But it was that bond that would win out, allowing Lauren to be proud of the actions Carina would later on take.

Though a part of her was eternally grateful that they were friends because making an enemy of Carina was the last thing anyone should seek to do.

"...Hey, you'll be fine. The little terrier has to allow you to eat something," she laughed as she reached over the other for the brush, enjoying the moment of a lighter conversation in comparison to the earlier panic she had entered the room with. Just a few minutes of talking with her closest friend about something normal meant the world to her; a moment she hoped would become a normal reality for her in the future, when Sven was out of the picture and she could live her life properly, doing what she wanted to do. Until then, these rare little moments with Carina were special and she sought to make the most of them.

"I know I've said it a billion times already but I'm so happy for you, Carina; you're glowing. It might be the sheen of your nausea, admittedly, but nonetheless, take the compliment," she smirked through the mirror again as she began working on the other's hair. "You should wear that necklace his mother gave you on your wedding day. As ridiculously ostentatious as it is, it ought to shut the crowd up; make them realise you're their Queen and there's nothing they can do about that fact."