Playing with Fire

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
While Carina had been expecting some form of outburst from her unwanted husband, it didn't make it any easier to deal with. Her body naturally flinched at the loud crash that came with his palm slamming against the table, instinctively shying away from the noise and leaning in the opposite direction to where the aggressive act came from. Her eyes rested on his hand, watching as coffee seeped across the table and began to drip off the edge.

Impulsively, she swallowed at the sight of faint wisps of smoke that were beginning to appear, squeezing out through the gaps between his fingers from either side of his palm. It was in these moments that Carina was so painfully made aware of how completely and utterly vulnerable she was. Since Sven often choose to bite back at her with words, it was so easy to become caught up in the verbal battles and completely forget about the weapon and true power he had within him. Their squabbles, regardless of how petty and spiteful, always left her feeling like they were on an equal playing field; especially now with them both knowing of two weaknesses for the other.

However when he did decide to show his power and his temper, Carina did feel a flicker of fear.

"My, my... and you say you worry about me and my temper harming our child." She finally murmured, daring to speak despite the threat he had just provided. Her voice was quiet, but calm and unwavering despite the fright she had just previously had.

Carina was grateful to see Lauren in that moment, and share that briefest exchange in smiles with the girl. It allowed her to remember her confidence, her control.

Finishing the last of her orange slices, the new Queen finished her cup of coffee before standing, placing the napkin on a plate that hadn't even been touched, "Lauren, go to my chambers and pick out a suitable funeral dress." She ordered to her secret ally, moving away from her seat as she lazily adjusted her dressing gown, ensuring to offer glimpses to the nightgown underneath.

A step was taken to the side of Sven's chair and a hand reached out to tenderly brush the knuckles of her fingers against his cheek, "It's a shame you act like you don't enjoy my fighting against you, my love," she then smiled softly, eyes on her fingers before they dipped down to graze tantalisingly over the hickey that poked out from his collar, "Especially when you and I both know that's not the truth."

Her hand snapped back to her side immediately after, learning her lesson about being to close to him after any form of disrespect after yesterday's rebuttal. Her smile melted into a smirk and Carina stepped away, tying up her dressing gown as she rounded his chair to begin preparing for another hellish day.

Sven could barely cope with the taunting remark that came from Carina's mouth after his outburst - how was he supposed to manage the deliberate grazing across the hickey on his neck; a mark that unfortunately stood out unsubtly against the paleness of his skin. He had tried to adjust the collar of the shirt to hide it to the best of his ability but nothing he could do could remove it from sight. A part of him was almost smug about that, given it was his parents' funeral and bearing a hickey placed there by the former Princess of Eira would have horrified his parents. The disrespect of it was something he could at least appreciate and find some enjoyment in - but he doubted that the church full of close allies and dedicated citizens, all mourning the royal couple they had deemed wonderful, respected leaders, would appreciate it as much as he did.

It was, therefore, something he despised having to witness on his skin. He may have hated his parents with a passion, but he desperately wanted to make a good impression at their funeral; to use their demise as a way of solidifying bonds with the allies they left behind. He may despise most people but he wasn't so arrogant to believe that he could be ruler without allies who would fight at his side. He needed them and though a hickey on his neck wasn't going to burn bridges before they were built, he knew it would take some charming on his part to help them overlook it.

Fortunately, he had enough confidence in his abilities to charm them, so he wasn't too worried about doing so. It wasn't the end of the world and he certainly hated the hickey for the memories it brought, rather than the presence itself: it was just an inconvenience that made things a tad more difficult for him than he would prefer them to be.

He managed not to flinch at the feeling of her knuckles against his skin, somehow keeping himself controlled enough to stare forward and not give her the attention he knew she wanted. Today was too important to give in to the pettiness - any other day he was more than happy to engage in a match of words, needing no real motivation to throw some hurtful insults in her direction, but today he needed his composure. It was vital to him that he came across the right way to his citizens, to earn their support and backing, and he wasn't going to let Carina ruin that for him.

Lauren, having observed both Sven's outburst and the taunting from Carina that followed, almost didn't hear the Queen's demand of her. She was so entertained by the rare sight of Sven so emotionally tormented that she wanted to remain in the dining room, to soak it all in, but she knew disobeying a clear demand of her wouldn't be wise, even if she and Carina weren't necessarily in line with traditional expectations of their juxtaposing roles. Instead of ignoring the request, she bowed her head in obedience and swiftly exited the room to fulfil the demand.

It wouldn't be much of a wait to be reunited with the Queen, smiling almost immediately at the sight of Carina entering the bedroom. Setting aside the funeral attire on the door of the wardrobe, she approached forward a few steps to make up the distance between them, trying her best to soften the brilliance of her smile.

"...You really got under his skin so I'm going to assume that the effort paid off? The hickey was a nice touch," she added in amusement, now abandoning the effort to hide how enjoyable the little scene at breakfast had been to witness. "You can't have had a chance to hear about Natalia. I heard from one of the other maids that she was called upon by Sven last night but she can't have gone through with anything because she left him two or three minutes after - from what I heard, at least. I'm going to assume she wasn't too pleased at the marks you left on him."

The moment she saw Lauren, and the door of the bedroom had been closed behind her, Carina burst out laughing. The first time she had laughed since arriving in Ignis. She caught herself, hand slapping over her mouth as her eyes went wide. But then she couldn't contain it any longer, and continued with her fit of giggles.

She walked closer to Lauren, reaching out to take her hands and squeeze them gently, "It all worked perfectly. You have no idea." She grinned, uncaring now to what she had been through. His reaction, his behaviour, had all been worth it. "Everything you said to do worked a charm, he truly couldn't resist anything." She laughed again, releasing Lauren's hands to clap hers together. "The outfit, the perfume, what I needed to do... he didn't seem to know what hit him. He tried to ignore it all, but that didn't last too long."

Carina moved to the dress, hand reaching out to touch the material but even the reminder of what she had to do later in the day didn't dampen her spirits, "The hickey was more to annoy him than Natalia, but if that bitch also got riled up because of it... then all the better. Two birds, one stone as they say."

She turned away from the dress, approaching Lauren again and, unconventionally, pulled the girl into a tight hug, "Thank you. For helping me last night. I know my plan probably didn't make much sense to you last night but I hope it does now." She murmured, eyes closing as she just enjoyed the moment of both being in the presence of a friend and the victory she just had.

Carina wasn't stupid, she knew this feeling wouldn't last forever. Of course it would each time it was mentioned, but if she had learned anything by now, it was that Sven was planning some awful retribution which she would have to face alone.

Thorin entered the breakfast room not long after the Queen and her maid had left, having completed his job of ensuring the King's personal carriage was prepared for the events of the day.

While he noticed his friend's tense behaviour, he didn't think anything of it as he came to sit in the chair opposite to that of which Carina sat in. He reached for an apple, eyes finally looking up to take in his friend as he leaned in. Only to pause, freezing himself at the sight of the mark that peeked out from under his collar. Unsure as to how to react, Thorin rested back in his chair, apple in hand.

"The carriage is ready and set for the day. There'll be four guards walking alongside it, each stationed at each of the wheels. The same for the carriage that will carry the coffins. Not that I'm expecting any trouble. The people hate her, but they still see you as their King. They wouldn't dare attack if you're in the same carriage as her. They respect you too much for that." Thorin finally spoke after a period of silence, choosing to avoid the topic of the mark on his King's neck and the events of the night before.

Even if his interest was nagging at him.

The hug from Carina came as a surprise, as evidenced by the fact Lauren, unsure how to react, remained rigid for a few seconds in the confusion that the action brought her. Though she was starting to truly recognise the Queen as a friend (and definitely as an ally), the fact Carina was a Queen made it difficult to really come to terms with that bond. It was beyond anything Lauren could have anticipated happening to her - befriending someone from royal blood and having developed a bond like this was so far-fetched that even contemplating it wouldn't have crossed her mind.

Though, she reciprocated the hug a mere second or two later, sharing in the mixture of relief and joyousness that came with the success of their plan. They couldn't afford to became complacent after one success at getting under Sven's skin, she knew that, but it wasn't possible to brush aside the enjoyment she had felt at seeing the cocky King reduced to stewing in his own anger like a petulant child who hadn't had things go his way. If only for a few minutes, she felt more than entitled to enjoy the moment, gloating at the momentary downfall in his usual behaviour.

She pulled away to carefully take a seat at the armchair she had grown accustomed to sitting herself in during their conversations, setting her hands on her lap as she peered back over at the other. She didn't want to disrupt their positive mood but the elephant in the room was becoming difficult for her to continue to ignore and so, after a moment, she decided to broach the subject that had thus far remained unspecific in its details.

"How... are you, after last night? I... can't imagine it was easy for you - even though you clearly did a good job, let's not pretend being with the man was something that was easy for you to do," she said carefully, a sympathetic smile appearing on her face once more. "--At least you managed to go through with the plan you had in mind; it's worked wonders. That's... a positive out of it all, at least. I've never seen Sven look that... disappointed with himself; it's fantastic."

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

For a moment, after Carina had taken her leave, Sven had almost forgotten about the hickey he had to reluctantly bore to the world. So relieved was he by his wife's departure, he had resumed his breakfast with a gusto that enabled him to somehow forget about the marks, unsubtle against his skin. It certainly helped his distraction when Thorin entered, nodding briefly in greeting to him as he sat back with a freshly poured coffee and intent on listening to the update.

It was only when he noticed his best friend's wandering eye that he remembered the hickey. Had it been placed by one of his lovers, he might have approached the subject differently; he would have began to boast about the night he had enjoyed with them and ventured into all the details he and Thorin shared together about their romantic interactions.

But he couldn't do that in this instance. He couldn't happily boast about the night - however good it might have been, it had been shared with Carina and he didn't want to admit to the fact she had entered the occasion with a plan that he had been hopeless to fight against. He felt weak and that disgusted him, and even with Thorin, he wasn't entirely eager to spill the details.

"Do you want to tell me what you're looking at or are you going to continue to unsubtly glance at the thing, as though I can't notice you doing so? It's a fucking hickey, Thorin; it's rather obvious. And you aren't a stupid man. You know as well as I do who placed it there," the King remarked, his voice deep in the anger that obviously resided within him, for good reason. He attempted to calm down as he sipped at his coffee, despite the tension in his jaw having returned sooner than he would have liked it to.

"If you have anything to say, you should just say it. You know what happened. She had a plan; I fell for it. It's-- not something I'm exactly happy to admit to but she's smart and exploited my weaknesses. It's... it is what it is."

Allowing the maid to pull away from the embrace, Carina's smile remained on her lips as she walked to the wardrobe to take the dress from the door. She stepped behind the screen that allowed her some privacy to change, even beginning to hum as she prepared for the events of the day. Her smug, satisfied and proud mood a stark contrast to what she knew she faced later in the day. If there was one thing that Carina learned when it came to her new life, was to take the victories where she could. Undoubtedly the rest of the day would be a fucking misery, so she was going to enjoy this moment for as long as possible.

That didn't mean she momentarily faltered at Lauren's question, pausing in the nude behind the screen to consider her answer before continuing to get dressed.

"I just thought about who I was doing it for. What I was doing it for." She answered, voice becoming a little stiff as she was forced to look behind the jubilation of having Sven react the way he did. "After that it didn't matter. It was my duty, to you, to my brother, to our kingdoms. My emotions by that point were irrelevant." Her hand wrapped around part of the dress Lauren had chosen for her, hesitating as she opened her mouth to say more before simply remaining silent and pulling the dress down.

Soon Carina stepped out from behind the screen, approaching Lauren to offer the fastenings on the back. She quietly rubbed the back of her neck, brow furrowed as she thought back on the events of the night, "I took him as I wanted. I remained in control for the entirety of it. He didn't even see my body bare like I did with his." Licking her lips, she released a deep breath, "I think that helped."

Taking a bite from the apple, Thorin stared at the opposite wall with a raised eyebrow as Sven launched into his defensive behaviour and explanation. He choose to remain that way for the time being, understanding that anger bubbled under the surface of his friend's skin and didn't dare speak lest his words unwittingly released it.

Not that Thorin ever felt in any immediate danger when with Sven, despite witnessing his manipulative behaviour, the young bodyguard felt confident enough to believe that his friend would never (knowingly) hurt him. He would be lying if he said he never once thought that perhaps Sven was playing a game with him, faking this friendship as he knew Sven had done with the relationship with some of his mistresses. However, their friendship had spanned years, and Thorin felt confident that his friend would have gotten tired of such a facade at some point.

His head finally turned once he was sure Sven was finished speaking, half-eaten apple left on the plate before him. Shoulders shrugged as his body leaned back, arms resting lazily against the armrests of the chair.

"I did try to warn you that it's always the quietest ones." He pointed out simply, fingers gently tapping against the wood, "I also smart enough to know that you won't just let her get away with this. Especially not with Natalia fuming the way that she is; I know you need to keep her sweet." His eyebrow raised, "I'm just curious as to what you're going to do now to knock her down a few pegs. You've got the funeral today... and you're forcing her to make a speech... is that punishment enough or have you got something else up your sleeves?"

Lauren wasn't oblivious to the emotional distress that came with being with Sven. Just being near him caused her stomach to turn, so having to be intimate with him only intensified the natural disgust she held for him. She knew better than anyone how difficult the night must have been for Carina, regardless of the victory she could now claim and hold over him. That victory was nice and it gave them something to focus on, some hope to cling to, but that didn't disguise the obviously regrettable intimacy they had to share with the man.

And in the maid's case, she couldn't even claim any real victory when she was with Sven. She couldn't openly show him the disgust she felt for him. She couldn't smirk in satisfaction at gaining control from him in any capacity, nor flaunt that in his face to see the inevitable damage done to his ego. If she dared to even try to do that, she would be slaughtered before she could take another breath. Carina had some security from such a fate - though the consequence of that was bearing him with a child.

Lauren might have to fear for her life if she let her facade slip, but she was also grateful not to be in Carina's position, having to endure bringing his children into the world.

"I doubt he'll allow you to have this victory without repercussion, Carina. You already know that, of course," the maid murmured beneath her breath as she stepped forward to continue her duty, her fingers nimble and quick as they expertly fastened the dress. She had occasionally aided Sven's mother with her dresses but most of her experience came from reluctantly tending to Natalia - at the request -or rather, demand- of Sven, she often had to be in his adviser's company, aiding her with her dresses as though she was a royal with that authority of her. But whatever Sven desired, Lauren had to jump to attention to to fulfil, and apparently, Natalia's happiness was something he often required.

If only for his own selfish reasons, rather than out of genuine care and consideration for one of his oldest and most loyal friends.

"You'll be okay, at the funeral. He'll undoubtedly be at his manipulative best, pretending to be the mournful son to fool his people, but-- you know better than to believe him. We both do," she emphasised quickly, her eyes rolling to herself in preparation for the inevitable sympathy that Sven would garner after the funeral, winning himself more plaudits and support. It was sickening and only fuelled her anger towards him further. "What's your plan for today, anyway? You going to play for some sympathy from his people too? I will say that it might be difficult, going for that angle - they're infuriatingly loyal to the royals here in Ignis, despite the entire ancestral line being as horrendous as it is."

Sven remained silent for what could be determined to be an unnerving amount of time, if only because in its duration his body language was less than calm and casual. The fork in his right hand was being clutched tightly, his knuckles white against the skin. His left hand remained on the table, his fingers tapping near the corner where, minutes prior, had been simmering with flames from his outburst. His eyes were narrowed and set off into the distance, his teeth tightly gritted together and his jaw muscles subsequently tight and clenched.

Whether he was angry about the night before in general or had that spark of fury reignited after Thorin's reference to it was unclear, but just as quickly as the anger seemed to have started to reappear, it died down again. The grimace that had seemed permanently stuck to his face was replaced with a smile, albeit one that, under the circumstances of the quick behavioural shift, was more eerie and disconcerting than friendly and warm.

"I'm not going to do anything to her, so you've misread the situation, Thorin - or you aren't as smart as you believe you are. She's under no obligation to read that speech if she doesn't want to and while punishing her would be satisfying, I have no desire to do so. Not right now, it'd be irresponsible. For all I know, she might be pregnant. I won't jeopardise the health of an unborn child, so punishing her is, unfortunately, not currently a plan of action I can undertake. Nor is making her read a speech - it might get her backlash from my people and putting her under any unneeded stress is something I can't allow myself to do."

With a curt nod to signal the end of that discussion, he absently reached for another coffee to relax the aching in his muscles. He was furious that he couldn't get back at Carina in the way he saw as ideal, but doing so would physically affect the health of an unborn child - or make it more difficult for her to conceive one in future. As hot-headed and temperamental as he was, Sven wasn't naive to how his actions could rid him of the one thing he wanted most in the form of an heir - and ensuring Carina's safety (rather than punishing her as he wanted to do) was all that really mattered until she stopped being of use to him.

"i'm as unhappy about it as you but it's worthwhile.A little patience now will reap rewards in future - I'll have my children from her and then we can do something about her. But not now. I can't -and won't- punish her to the extent I normally would."

Slowly turning once the dress had been tied up, the young queen brought her mind back to the maid before her; her thoughts rampant after what Lauren had said. "But what if he doesn't punish me today, Lauren? That's worse than him not doing so. Maybe I'm not going to receive any punishment now until I do provide him an heir. What if he's just... totalling up all these moments to do something awful once the first baby is born?" She takes a step away, moving to the backless chaise lounge at the foot of her bed to sit. The thought hit her like a tonne of bricks, slowly being stacked up on her chest before suddenly just being dumped on top of her.

Carina herself had said that he couldn't physically abuse her once they started trying for his precious heir, lest he wanted to make her weakened and therefore make it harder to conceive. Yet she hadn't actually considered that he would take on her words. She didn't think he would ever listen to her, even when she was right. Of course there was still the mental and emotional torture, but would he even dare do that to her now?

"He could... he could just be waiting, knowing that at the end of those nine months he could punish me for everything I had done in one horrific act before trying for the second child." If that were true, not that Carina was entirely certain, it was enough to make panic and anxiety rise through her body, constricting her breathing.

Abruptly she pushed herself to her feet, moving to the window to shove it open and take in deep, gasping breaths despite the air not exactly being any cooler. While Sven's acts of dominance and aggression had frightened Carina before, they had been minute compared to what he could do. The display of rage-influenced fire exploding at the breakfast table was just a glimpse at what he could do. And the young queen felt extremely vulnerable without her ice. She had no way of defending herself against any fire he used against her, nor could she use her own powers to threaten him.

Her fingers lowered to the bracelet attached to her wrist, breathing finally stabilising as she turned back, releasing a long breath as she did. "Sorry."

Clearing her throat, she moved back to the chaise, once again shoving those emotions back to focus on the events of the day. So long as her moments of anxiety were only shown to Lauren, that was all that mattered. She could never allow Sven to know just how badly he could affect her.

"What's the point?" She questioned, referring to her mention of potentially gaining sympathy, "I won't get any from them. They'll hate me until I either provide Sven an heir or I die. I may as well stay silent and ignore them... to the best of my ability. I'll make my speech and then remain silent for the rest of the ceremony. If I could I'd avoid making a speech altogether, but that is what he'll be expecting me to do. If the people think it's inappropriate for their murderer to be saying anything, then let it fall on his head. It was his idea."

Thorin, despite himself, rolled his eyes at Sven's comments, his own teeth gritting at his friend's dismissive and brutal words. "You're a real fucking joy to talk to when someone's pissed you off, you know that?" He drawled, finally allowing some of his own hot temper to burn through his words.

Sometimes the guard did wonder if he was better off letting Sven get through whatever moment he was having alone rather than trying to make conversation or see what was going on through the King's mind. It was a twisted, bipolar mess in his king's mind but Thorin knew that it was better to be on the good side of his friend than on the side the ice queen found herself. Hence why he attempted to keep himself out of his friend's affairs when it came to the political stuff - plausible deniability and all that. He only need to know things at the last minute, such as the manipulation of Carina's own rebellion. Thorin had been the one to organise the men at Sven's request, and while it hadn't exactly been a pleasure to know the murder of his parents was on the cards, he also wasn't sad about it.

The guard stood, moving around to the back of the chair to lean against the top of it by his forearms, "Well whatever the fuck it is that you end up doing, just make sure she doesn't do it again. Not 'cause of your own pride, but because I can't fucking stand it when you're in a foul mood like this." He raised an eyebrow, standing back up straight and patting the top of the chair, "And also, go and do something about Natasha too. She's furious and I don't think having her glare at you for the duration of the funeral is the best thing to earn you sympathy."

It hadn't crossed her mind that there was a possibility Sven might patiently wait for the birth of his first child before he punished Carina for her misbehaviour. Lauren considered him far too volatile to possess that amount of self-control, especially when Carina had the innate ability to truly get under his skin and irritate him. It was unfeasible to think that he could manage to hold back on the instinct to reprimand her, physically or emotionally, so she hadn't even given it a passing thought.

But it was possible, of course it was. He had managed to appear as the dutiful, loyal son to despicable, horrid parents for years, for the entirety of his life until recently, and that took an unthinkable amount of self-control. He hadn't lost his temper and slaughtered them as he might have wanted to do throughout his life - he remained fixed on his facade, focused instead on the end goal which he had now achieved.

Of course he could be patient and wait for Carina to have their child before he unleashed his fury on her, especially when he wanted a child so much. He wouldn't risk jeopardising that, no matter how much he might despise Carina.

"I... suppose it's possible, but let's not dwell on it, Carina. Besides, we'll... execute our plan for him before a second child is even a possibility. We'll kill him before then, surely? We have months to plan for it; we won't need to contemplate him punishing you because we'll have succeeded in our plan by then, won't we?" She encouraged with a smile, nodding for further emphasis as she quietly moved forward to peer from the window of the room, forcing back the instinct she had to grimace everytime her eyes landed on the darkened skies full of ash from the simmering volcanoes that made up Ignis.

"I suppose they won't sympathise with you, you're right. Just... do what you feel is right. I won't be there, it isn't my place, but I'm sure you'll handle the situation well. We can talk when you return, I... I know you'll be okay, Carina. You're strong and you've already gone through the worst by being intimate with that monster. Today will be easy in comparison."

"I could have you beheaded for speaking to me like that. Swearing at your King? Disrespecting him? That's punishable by death, Thorin. I could justifiably have you taken by the executioner and watch him take an axe to your neck. I do think you should keep in mind that I possess the power to do such a thing," the King remarked as he took a sip from his coffee, deliberately doing so to prolong the silence and give his words the seconds they deserved to sink in. He was far from serious, the threats that lingered between them being harmless in nature and designed to be laughed at, but it was no secret that Sven adored the discomfort he placed others in - and his best friend was no different.

He wasn't going to let him stew in that discomfort for that long, however, breaking the tension with a smirk in satisfaction.

"I wouldn't do such a thing, of course. You can speak freely with me, you know that. I'm in a foul mood, but I have a reason to be when that bitch did what she did to me. But you're right, I apologise. I shouldn't take it out on you," he admitted with a nod, his eyes rolling to himself in recognition of the bitterness that lingered in him. As justifiable as it was, taking it out on the only true friend he had was a move he didn't ever want to make. He might tease Thorin and his past manipulation with others might lead his friend to often contemplate whether theirs was a genuine friendship, but to Sven, his guard was the only man he trusted; the only person that he could honestly claim to care about.

Allowing Carina's behaviour to affect the way he was with Thorin was something he couldn't allow to happen.

"Natalia will be fine. She can be pissed off with me but I'll win her around; I have her wrapped around my little finger. She's hopelessly enamoured with me and that works in my favour - but I suppose paying her a visit before the funeral might be a good idea. Would you go and get Lauren for me? She can help Natalia with her dress; that'll help me patch things up with her."

The funeral went by without much of a concern, Carina made her speech with the same act that she had applied upon arriving to Ignis. Not because she wanted to pacify the people, she knew that would now be impossible, but simply because she wanted to keep that cool, controlled facade on show to Sven. He wasn't to know she had been concerned about any punishment, or a lack thereof, because of her manipulation in the bedroom, o Carina preferred to keep it that way. She had been kept safe by the guards that accompanied the carriage, but also due to Sven's presence. Carina soon realised that Lauren had been speaking the truth about the Ignisi people - they really did respect their leaders.

It had irked her to no end to watch her husband snivel and grovel like the poor, orphaned King and earn himself sympathy; all the while she had looks that could kill and expressions that only suggested that her murder was on that person's mind.

The coronation had been rather similar, with the majority of the spectacle on Sven while she was kept to the background. She too was crowned as Queen, but it was blatantly clear that it was imply a title by name and not authority. She would have nothing to do with running the two kingdoms she was now queen of, not even over Eira. Then, as if to rub salt into the wound, she had been called to Sven's bedroom.

The days soon passed to weeks and weeks to months. Carina found herself settling into a routine, one that was both as monotonous as it was irritating, except for the planning of Sven's downfall with Lauren, whom she had relied on in every possible way. Every other night it seemed like she would spend some time with Sven in his bedroom before returning to her own and depending on the day she had had, she would do her utmost to control matters like that first time. However others, she knew, were better for him to win. If not to allow him a sense of success but also to minimise the damage once she eventually did give birth to a child.

However, the matter of a child had once more risen it's ugly head and the former princess began to feel her anxiety rise again. By the time the third month rolled around and she woke to her monthly bleeding, Carina was fully aware of the whispers and rumours floating not just through the castle but also through the Ignis villages. Whispers that she wasn't good enough for King Sven, that she was incapable. But why was it such a surprise, she could imagine them murmuring, she is Eirian. Why is it so surprising that she couldn't handle the strength an Ignisi child would bear?

While Carina knew that only she could give Sven the child he utterly desired, an heir to strengthen the Ignisi claim on her kingdom, the stress and worry still remained. Their marriage was claim enough. What if one day she simply... didn't wake up? Or was found at the bottom of the stairs?

Five months into the marriage, Carina sat at the vanity table with Lauren running a comb through her hair. The queen had leaned forward, elbows on the table and head held up by her hands. While she had ensured to take care of herself in every possible way, Carina's appetite had depleted in the last few weeks. Exhaustion was beginning to get the best of her and she often played cold and blasé to any of Sven's cruel and cutting comments, just so she didn't have to work up her energy to retort back.

Mid sentence, Carina sharply cut off. Her eyes snapped open and she abruptly stood to run for the bathroom adjoined to her room. The young queen doubled over the toilet, only to lose the contents of her stomach. She took in a few long, deep breaths, hands clenching onto the rim of the toilet as she stabilised herself. Eventually, once the rolling nausea had disappeared, she flushed the chain and moved to wash her hands.

Upon returning, she quietly rubbed her stomach with her one hand, exhaling heavily. "Sorry, I've not-- I've not been feeling well these past few days. I think the uh... the comments are getting to me more than I realise." She laughed weakly, sitting back at the table and looking to Lauren through the mirror, "What were we saying?"

To say that the last few months had been entirely easy and enjoyable for Sven would be a severe understatement. He had two entire kingdoms under his rule and hundreds of citizens loyal to him without complaint, ready to defend him without hesitation. His facade at the funeral, as the loyal weeping son, and the following display of power and authority he asserted at his coronation had all worked in his favour as he knew it would - he hadn't waited patiently for years upon years for it just to mess it up, after all. They all saw him the way he ultimately wanted them to see him; as a fierce, dedicated leader who would lead Ignis to future victories, to consolidate their power over other lands and kingdoms.

Not everything was a lie. Sven's presentation to his public wasn't entirely fabricated - he was power hungry, unrelenting, authoritative and dedicated; those were true qualities he possessed and those worked in his favour in bringing the Ignisi public onto his side, supporting him. Though he couldn't show all his qualities; the side of him that mostly detested having to pretend to be interested in the lives of his citizens when he cared very little about most people besides himself. Caring for them and their livelihoods wasn't a genuine consideration of a King to his people but an unfortunate necessity to win their approvals and continue their support. Obviously, he knew better than to display that characteristic to them.

He ought to have enjoyed the rise to power, to achieving everything he had had his heart set on since he was a boy, but nothing could be enjoyable when he was married to someone he mostly detested. Carina's very presence irritated him and he had often found it difficult to hold back from shoving her back into that dungeon for physical torture, or emotionally tormenting her with cruel taunts of her deceased brother and prodding her sadistically with the vivid descriptions of his death. He never did any of that, though the urge was always there, lingering under the surface, aching to be released to get out his anger and see her crumble as a result. But he couldn't - never would he dream of causing any harm to his unborn child, and unfortunately, ensuring that meant keeping Carina safe.

Months passed without the confirmation that she was carrying a child of his; weeks and weeks of him gradually becoming less and less content with the situation. He heard the gossip and the whispers; took in every word and utterance about the lack of an heir and while he placed the blame on Carina, he took some of it to heart himself. If time continued to pass without an heir, he would be judged for it; not as quickly as Carina, but there would soon be doubts placed upon him and he couldn't let that happen, not when he finally had the kingdom and the power in his hands.

Lauren was as painfully aware of the lack of an heir as everyone else was, hearing the gossips from colleagues in the castle as well as confessions from Sven himself when she had to reluctantly spend private time with him. It was amusing to hear him fret about the situation, airing his insecurities to a lover he thought he could trust but who was actually finding great amusement in his emotional suffering and anxiety, but she couldn't take too much enjoyment from it all; not when Carina was being blamed and had to suffer from the intensity of hatred flung her way for the lack of conception.

It was why she tried her best to be even more present in the young Queen's life than she ordinarily would have been. Under the guise of being the other's personal handmaid, she would be the best friend and supportive presence as she possibly could, wanting to be something positive in the other's world - because Carina was possibly the only positive Lauren had in hers. She was the only reason she was able to continue moving forward with life in the castle; the constant reminder of what she was working towards. Every time she had to entertain Sven, or grow closer to Thorin (as she had worked expertly on during the months), she kept in mind that she wasn't alone; that she had Carina. And returning the favour to her during the difficult months was the least she could offer in return.

That afternoon was one where she hoped to help the other relax, carefully brushing through her hair while casually discussing the latest mundane gossip from some of the staff in the castle: something mostly inconsequential to help take Carina's mind off the comments she was receiving. Of course, that all stopped abruptly at the Queen's hurried rush across to the bathroom, the maid's confusion switching to concern at the unsubtle sounds of vomiting.

"...Are you okay? You haven't caught a bug or anything, have you? Or eaten anything that might have disagreed with you?" She began carefully as she set the brush down, now far too concerned to contemplate continuing the duty. She folded her arms across her chest as she carefully examined the other's face for any signs of a possible illness, her frown deepening as her worry increased - though considering possible illnesses as the answer faded a little when another more plausible possibility came to mind.

"When was the last time you had your time of the month, Carina?" She asked bluntly, seeing no need to try and be discrete in hinting towards anything - she felt she was close enough to the woman by now to be honest and upfront with her. "All those intimate moments with Sven might have... you know... achieved what they were intended to."

"I don't think it's a bug, or anything I've eaten. It's just the whispers, Lauren. They're getting harder to ignore and I-- I always feel Sven's eyes on me, wondering why my stomach isn't swelling... just like everyone else in the kingdom." She heaved a sigh, gently rolling her shoulders to try and release the knots of tension. Carina was sure that a search on her room had been conducted once or twice during the last five months, what they were looking for, she didn't know. She didn't have any proof, but the smallest things were slightly out of place. It could only be assumed that whoever was searching her room had been looking for some sort of evidence that she had been using something to keep herself from becoming pregnant.

Her eyes sharply lifted to Lauren's through the mirror at her question. Carina's breath caught in her throat and she quietly choked, having to clear her throat and compose herself. Not that she was embarrassed to be speaking about such matters, she and Lauren had discussed how best to use sex against Sven, for heaven's sake. Not to mention the time she crassly called Lauren out on fucking her husband when they first met.

No, Carina was not a prude person. However the notion that, after all these months of worrying and those evenings with Sven not coming to fruition, something finally worked made the nausea roll even stronger in her stomach.

Swallowing back the bile that rose in her throat, her hand quietly moved to her lower abdomen. When was the last time she had her monthly?

"I can't be certain. Maybe... maybe last month? I am late but I just-- I just put it down to stress." Carina finally spoke, turning slightly in her seat so she could look up at her friend and maid properly. "I've been more tired lately and my appetite has decreased..." She mused out loud, taking in another deep breath to calm herself. Her mind raced with the possibility of finally being pregnant.

It disgusted her to be pregnant with Sven's child, but the baby was hers too. Already, even just the possibility and prospect of this unborn child had her feeling immensely protective over it. During their plans, Carina and Lauren never truly mentioned the child she would provide the kingdom before they saw to Sven's downfall. However the Queen saw it as an unspoken word that the child would not be harmed in anyway when their rebellion came into practice. Now, the idea of this unborn babe being hurt in any possible way sent ice through her vines. No, this baby was hers and it would remain that way. No one would take it away from her, not even Sven.

Pulling herself from her thoughts, Carina looked up to Lauren and forced a small smile to her lips, "We best call the doctor, just to confirm things. No point worrying about if it is the pregnancy we've all been waiting for if the doctor claims it to be otherwise."

"Of course it could be stress - you've been under a lot of it, haven't you? So yes, let's not jump to conclusions before the doctor has seen you," she concurred as she held her hands together in front of her, if only out of awkwardness and a lack of understanding of what else to do with them. This was a situation that she knew she ought to have prepared for properly over the last few months - Carina was trying for a baby, after all, and there was always a chance that all those attempts would result in their aim.

Yet, it hadn't really occurred to her that there might come the day where Carina would fall pregnant. Considering it as a likelihood felt too real and a part of her wanted to live in a world where her friend didn't have the pressure of bringing in the heir to the kingdom; Sven's offspring. That part of her instead wanted to keep putting the likelihood out of reach of her thoughts to instead focus on the present, where she and Carina were still inundated with difficulties and pressures but nothing so momentous and life-changing as having a child was.

There wasn't any chance of ignoring it now it seemed to be on the verge of being confirmed as a reality - though Lauren didn't feel as sad for the other as she thought she might be. Of course it sickened her that the child would also be Sven's, that there was a part of him in the baby - but the overriding emotion was one of pride, of jubilation; the celebratory mindset any friend would react with. She struggled to hide the flicker of a smile that fell on her lips as she considered the possibility more and more, unable to focus on the negatives when the positives were there to be seen.

As much as it was Sven's child, it was also Carina's; a continuation of the now lost Eirian race as much as it was a continuation of the Ignisian one.

"...I won't pretend that the chance that you are doesn't make me a little happy, Carina. You'd be a wonderful mother, we both know that. But-- let's not get carried away, you're right. I'll fetch the doctor, so don't go making any sudden movements or you'll inevitably be sick over yourself - and when it's my job to clean it up, I'd rather not have you run the risk of making me do so," she laughed as she smoothed out the creases in her own dress quietly, taking a further few seconds to compose herself from the shock that the possibility of a pregnancy brought.

Only when she was sure she had composed herself enough to present her usual levels of professionalism to the doctor did she leave the room to fetch him, knowing to move swiftly to prevent wasting time when she was as eager as Carina probably was to put an answer to the sudden bout of nausea she was experiencing.

Watching the maid leave, Carina stayed still in place for a moment or two longer after the door had shut. Her fingers quietly traced over her lower abdomen, a conflict of emotions swirling within her. It was a mystery on what to feel first, even without the confirmation from the doctor. Now that it had come to her mind, her previous symptoms did match with what she knew about pregnancy. Her recent exhaustion, her lack of appetite... both those things coupled with the nausea that had - if she admitted it - been rolling around in her stomach for a few days prior to this sudden bout of sickness; it all lead to one possible outcome.

Eventually, she moved to sit on the edge of her bed, hand still never straying from where it hovered over her stomach. Her mind looked back through the weeks in an attempt to also figure out when her last period was, having simply put down her lateness, exhaustion and lack of interest in food down to the anxiety levels that had spiked due to the rumours circulating her fertility.

When measuring the weeks, she realised she was two - almost three - weeks late. Potentially putting her at between six to seven weeks pregnant.

Carina was still trying to comprehend that when Lauren returned with the doctor and the queen stood, composing herself this time with the air and graces one expected from a royal merely conducting their duty.

"Doctor, thank you for coming at short notice." She spoke pleasantly, hands clasping together, "I'll keep things short, as I understand you're probably busy. I believe I am finally pregnant."

The doctor, an older man but not yet fully grey, did not bother to hide his surprise at her announcement. Clearing his throat, he nodded slowly as if processing this information himself. Carina nodded for Lauren to stand in front of the door, not wishing for any interruptions or eavesdroppers should anyone have seen the doctor enter her room.

"Your Majesty... may I ask why you believe this to be the case? Have you been experiencing symptoms as of late?" He inquired, moving to her vanity table to lower his bag onto it. Carina turned with his movements, "I've just been ill, with no cause or means of being so. I've been exhausted for the past two weeks or so and have barely been able to touch my food. Nausea is a constant presence during the last week and I'm two weeks late."

At the last comment, the doctor immediately approached and Carina felt slightly sickened by the excitement the gleamed weakly in his pale blue eyes. "May I?" He inquired, motioning to her stomach. Gritting her teeth but forcing a pleasant smile, she nodded.

The doctor's hand fell to her stomach, feeling the lower abdomen tenderly and gingerly. Eventually he pulled back and took a step back toward his bag, "You do feel slightly bloated, Your Majesty. That is typically how the first few weeks appear." He explained, picking up his bag, he turned back toward Carina and finally smiled, "Congratulations, Your Majesty. In my professional opinion I would advise that you are with child. There will be much to do, now, going forward. You said that your appetite has depleted? That simply will not do, I understand that it may not be what you want, but you simply will have to force yourself to eat. It will not be good for you nor the child if you do not."

"I understand that." Carina answered sharply, slightly light-headed now the confirmation had been made. The doctor hesitated, put out by the royal's harsh response. "Yes... yes. Well, I will leave you now. I'm sure you have plenty to do, such as tell the King." He eyed her carefully, as if concerned that she would, in fact, keep this information to herself.

"Yes, thank you doctor. I'm sure we will be seeing plenty of each other now these next nine months." Carina murmured, turning away from the doctor to approach the window. Her hand raised to rest against the ledge, finger gently tapping.

Once the older man had been let out, Carina swallowed hard and quickly she turned to escape to the bathroom once more, nothing but bile being spat down the toilet.

Upon returning, she paused in the bathroom doorway, hand moving up to release the pins that kept her hair up. "Have Thorin organise a carriage. I need to get out of these four walls. Tell him you'll be coming with me. That will surely pacify him. Don't tell him why or what we have learned, otherwise we won't be allowed out alone. I need time to process this, without Sven nagging away at me and making a cruel comment every five minutes. We'll just go for a ride, a small one."

Lauren dutifully waited on the periphery of the interaction, her hands gathered together in front of her with back rigid and straight, adopting the professional stance that almost came naturally to her these days. It infuriated her that she instinctively adopted such a stance when she despised the role she was in, having to serve a King she hated as much as the kingdom itself - but the role was vital for the fulfilment of the plan, and in that case, the instinctive behaviours she had learnt at least helped her appear as the loyal maid she wanted -and needed- to present herself as.

She quietly observed the doctor at work from the corner of the room, the only sign of her personal intrigue being her nervously biting her bottom lip. She honestly didn't know what she wanted the answer to be from the inspection. It would probably be for the best that Carina was pregnant, if only to save her the inevitable continuation of horrid slurs and insults she had to endure the longer she went without news of a child to speak of - and it would also save her having to go to bed with Sven, which was an additional positive.

But a part of her also didn't really want to see Carina, someone she saw as her closest friend these days, have to come to terms with the knowledge she was carrying Sven's child. If the roles were reversed, she wasn't sure how she would come to terms with that news, knowing for a fact that as much as she might love and adore the child, the fact it was Sven's would always be a point of bitterness for her.

None of that stopped the slight smile from pulling at her lips at the doctor's confirmation. For however many negatives there could be said to be, the positive outweighed it in Lauren's eyes - however difficult it might be to work around the onslaught of emotions she had no doubt were currently swimming through her friend's mind.

At the request, she nodded once in acknowledgement before turning to leave, opting not to utter a word in realisation that it probably wouldn't be registered by Carina anyway; not when she needed time to process the news and thus probably couldn't focus on anything else until she had. Instead of spending time reassuring her as she felt duty-bound to do as her friend and support, she headed off in search of Thorin instead, already bracing herself for the flirtatiousness she chose to present to him over the last few months. The plan was to grow close to him in such a way, to distract him and eventually create distance between him and Sven when the betrayal became known - but she was choosing to take her time with it. Suspicion would undoubtedly be cast upon her if she flung herself at the guard - that, or he would deem her disloyal to his friend and take no interest in her. She had to be subtle, increase his attention towards her first so he thought he was the one instigating the flirtation; not the other way around.

A purposely meek, bashful smile came onto her face as she approached the man, biting her bottom lip once more (albeit this time to add to the bashful appearance) and tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"Her majesty is requesting a carriage be prepared for her and I, as soon as is possible," she murmured in hushed tones, her eyes finally lifting from the ground and settling on him with feigned admiration of the features they were met with. "If... If you would be so kind, Thorin? I'd certainly appreciate it..."

Thorin glanced up from the small desk in the equally small office room he had managed to commission for himself in the new change of power. He stood, slightly bent over the desk and fingers spread over the edges of a large map that showed Ignis and all her neighbouring kingdoms, including what used to be Eira and the beginnings of the Harenae island. Raising his hands, the map immediately rolled back into it's original shape with no pressure to keep it held down.

A small grin played along his lips at the sight of Lauren, and the guard moved so he stood in front of his desk, leaning back against it with arms folded. It hadn't gone unnoticed by him the subtle attentions that the maid had been providing him. The quiet glances when Sven wasn't looking, the gleam of admiration, the shy behaviours of tucking hair behind ear... the biting of lip which always ended up bringing his attention to her mouth. Thorin could groan sometimes at the innocent act that really drove him up the wall.

Often he would consider taking the risk and engaging in some flirtation with Lauren, but then he would catch himself. The betrayal it would lead to and the loss of everything he held dear kept him in control of himself most of time.

Key phrase: most of the time.

"And why would the Queen be requesting such a thing at such short notice?" He inquired, eyebrow raising as eyes once more dropped to lips. Bringing his gaze back up, Thorin pushed himself away from the desk to reach out and tuck a strand of her hair behind the other ear. He allowed his fingers to graze just lightly against her cheek, hovering after just below her jawline before allowing it to drop by his side again.

He then turned, returning to the other side of his desk to pull some paper and a pen in front of him to start an ordered note, "Is the King aware of such a request? With all that is going on, it may be best if he were made aware. I can spare a guard to accompany you both but with how the people feel about Carina, it may be better if Sven joined you both."

Just the glances from the man made Lauren feel physically sick, so having his fingers brush across her cheek, having that physical contact however fleeting and minimal it was, only exacerbated the nauseated feeling. On the surface, he might not be seen as being a worse prospect then Sven was, but Lauren found herself detesting Thorin's company almost more than she despised Sven's. She harboured no sympathy for the latter but a part of her, a very small part, knew that he was the product of his environment; that he had been dragged up rather than nurtured and raised. It was no excuse for the sadistic violence he delighted in, but she felt like nobody born to the royals, in a kingdom like Ignis, would have grown up to be an upstanding citizen.

Thorin wasn't a product of that royal family. He had actively grown close to Sven and willingly chosen to be his friend and ally, not just turning a blind eye to the violence in an effort to keep that friendship but apparently wholeheartedly caring for Sven and finding enjoyment in the behaviour he displayed. It disgusted her and, as a result, Thorin represented everything she despised and was someone she really couldn't stand to be in the same room as.

It was regrettable that she had to grow close to him in order to distance and distract him from his King, but she had already made plenty of sacrifices; one more wasn't going to hurt.

"There are other things I'm sure ought to be brought to our King's attention, Thorin, but you and I know that it's best kept in the dark," she murmured in reference to the simmering sexual tension between them, though juxtaposing the sultry remark was the same innocent smile she often opted to present to him in the hope it would tempt him in more than overt flirtation would. She smoothed down the fabric of her dress with a calmness she knew she had to possess - even a semblance of nervousness would have the guard throwing more questions in her direction that she might struggle to find answers to.

"It isn't necessarily a request at short notice. She asked me to organise this a few hours ago, saying that she wants to take a little break out of the castle, but I was rather tardy and failed to get to it on time. Inevitably, she isn't very happy with me but I can manage her whining at me," she continued with an air of annoyance, that only stopping when her eyes settled back on the guard once more.

"Sven joining us would be beneficial, if only because it would stop her whining at me, but I think our King is rather busy, isn't he? Natalia took great pleasure in reminding me that I wouldn't see him today because he has business to attend to. I don't wish to distract him from it, Thorin; you and I know he despises being interrupted when he's at work, so-- no, I think I can manage the Queen by myself. I'm rather tough, you know. I may not look it but appearances are deceiving."

Signing off the order, Thorin lowered himself into the chair behind his desk, folding the piece of paper and then holding it between his index and middle finger. His eyes studied her, drinking in the little details of her face at the seductive comment that just dripped from those soft, supple lips. He wondered if she knew what little game she was playing. Acting all innocent and bashful when they both really knew that, underneath it all, was a sultry little minx.

"I'm glad that we're in agreement," he drawled, continuing to watch her from where he leaned back in his seat. It did irritate him, that everything that Sven touched was completely out of bounds for him. It wasn't that Thorin was keen for his friend's sloppy seconds, nor would he have ever considered potentially engaging in any risque words or acts with any of his king's mistresses. But when one was so clearly putting herself in his line of sight, murmuring all these delectable comments that he was just willing to devour... it certainly made things... frustrating.

After a moment, he sat back up and leaned forward. His elbows perched on the surface of the desk and his hand turned, outstretching the note toward the young maid. An offer for her to collect it, but she would be the one that had to come forward to take it.

"I'm sure you wouldn't... you truly can be very... distracting, Lauren." He observed with his own subtly lewd response, his eyes having become preoccupied with the movements of her hands as they straightened out her skirts, running over the faint whisper of waist and hips. Drawing his gaze back up to the maid's eyes, he provided a lazy smile, "Go, I'll be sure to inform the King before he sits down for his next meeting. Not that I think he'll be wishing to really keep tabs on his beloved wife." He laughed, gesturing toward her with the paper in hand for her to take it.

Lauren eyed the paper with an arched brow, already knowing that him refusing to simply hand it over to her was a deliberate move to encourage her to take it from him herself. She allowed a smirk in recognition of his actions to cross her face as she reached for the slip of paper, allowing her fingers to gently brush against his own in yet one another of the brief affectionate moments she had shared with him over the months.

The subtleties of their flirtation was something that she at least could be comfortable with - she felt disgusted at herself, having to engage with someone like Thorin, but at least she wasn't going further than the playful remarks and subtle movements. She had no doubt that one day over the coming months she would take things to the next level, when Thorin eventually chose to take the risk despite the wrath it would incur in Sven, but for now, she didn't have to have that emotional distress piled on her.

Besides, even if that never happened, if Thorin never did take the risk, him encouraging her flirtatious behaviour would be enough to cause Sven to look unfavourably upon him. Already she had succeeded on that front - he hadn't tried to push her approaches back and thus, even if he ended their entanglement, the damage had been done.

"As can you, Thorin; you're an awful distraction to me. But not an unwelcome one," she purred with another acknowledging smile, clasping the paper tightly in her hand as she turned on her heel to exit the room, the sway of her hips remaining until she knew she was out of sight. Only then did she hurry back to Carina without care about how she held herself as she walked, all deceptions and disguises fading from her expression when safely back in the company of the only person she trusted.

"Here, I have it-- sorry it took a little longer than it should have, he was-- it doesn't matter, really. Let's get going, you need the fresh air," she nodded firmly as she offered an arm out for Carina to take hold off, a smile encouragingly growing. "...Has the news sunk in at all yet or are you still caught in a daze about it?"

Turning with glass in hand as the door opened, Carina was relieved to see Lauren entering her bedroom rather than whom she feared. She didn't trust that doctor to not go running straight to Sven, and she knew the moment that the news was with the King her trips outside the castle would probably be very limited, if not next to none.

She lowered the glass onto her vanity table, having topped it up with water from the sink in her bathroom in order to re-hydrate herself. Now, more than ever, Carina knew it was important to look after herself and her body. In a kingdom as constantly warm as this one, she knew she would potentially run a higher risk of fainting if she didn't take on more water than she usually did and exerted herself too much. Sven often taunted her that she would be the one to bring harm to their child, and she could only imagine that he would criticise her should she not take care of herself.

"You did what you had to do. I hate you having to play up to him just as much as you must do, but equally... I'm grateful to know he's falling into that little honey trap." She answered, gladly accepting the arm that was offered to her and standing slowly.

Pausing for a moment, her free hand moved to rest over her lower abdomen, thumb gently stroking there before pulling away again. "Save that conversation for the carriage. I don't want to run the risk of anyone overhearing us should that doctor have started spreading the news." She murmured, voice hushed.

Upon leaving her bedroom, Carina released Lauren's arm and made sure to not take any help from the maid until they had reached the carriage. Any eyes noticing her acting delicate could start more whispers and rumours than Carina could bear to take.

It wasn't until the carriage lurched forward and wheels crunched over stone gravel did the Queen release a long breath. She tipped her head back against the black, cushioned interior of the carriage walls and brought a hand to rest over her stomach. "Two weeks late... maybe a little more. So what would that make me, Lauren? Six weeks pregnant? Almost seven?" She murmured her thoughts aloud. Carina lifted her head from the carriage wall to look at the maid, "I hope I'm saying this just to confirm how we both feel - but regardless of our plan, the baby does not get harmed." She whispered, despite the guard and driving not being able to hear them anyway.

Despite all her years living in Ignis, Lauren knew without a doubt that she would never quite get used to the extreme, suffocating heat that those born to the kingdom seemed to handle with a disbelieving amount of ease. The short walk out to the carriage was enough to cause beads of sweat to form, the maid wasting little time in wiping her forehead with the back of her hand once sat safely in the shade the carriage provided. She came from an island nation where the weather was almost consistently warm, but the heat was a different one in Ignis, almost oppressive in its intensity.

That, however, could almost be manageable if it wasn't for the sight of the bubbling volcanoes spewing lava and the reddened skies with their billowing clouds of ash. The sight of fire and flames made everything seem hotter than they actually were, and no matter how much time she had spent in the kingdom, the nature of Ignis never failed to silence her. A part of her was almost in awe of how the people could live in a kingdom like this, borne from fire and darkness, but then she reminded herself that the Ignisian people were as fiery and hot-headed as their kingdom - they fitted perfectly into it.

She drew her attention away from the sight of the volcanoes to take in Carina, offering across a quiet smile as the other worked out how far along she had to be.

"I promise you, I'll make sure no harm comes to you or the baby. And... we'll have killed Sven before he gets a chance to poison the baby's mind with horrid ideas of being the model Ignisian heir; it won't come to that, you don't even need to concern yourself with keeping the baby away from Sven's philosophies. He'll be dead before that happens," she promised with certainty - she hadn't spent years devoting herself to her plans just to let them end in failure, after all, and she was more confident now then ever before. The baby was even more motivation for her to succeed, to give Carina's son or daughter an actual shot at growing up without the poisonous influence she thought Sven would be.

"...How are you feeling now? Not necessarily regarding the nausea, but... in general. Being pregnant. I'm not going to tell you how to feel, Carina, but I won't pretend that I'm not a little... excited? I don't know, maybe that's silly, but... there's so little for me to feel excited about in this awful kingdom. A baby is... it's something to be hopeful about, I suppose. Some happiness to cling to."