Playing with Fire

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
The feeling of his hand wrapping around her wrist did nothing to satisfy the burning desire to feel the sting of her hand hitting his cheek. In fact it made her feel her rage all the more. Nothing was going her way in that moment, and it was suffocating her. The four walls of the carriage felt like they were pressing in on her, the heat that was slowly beginning to creep in as they neared Ignis pushing down on her lungs. She was surprised that Sven had reacted as he had done, with no retribution of his own. No flames appearing and no physical punishment of his own at her daring attempt to strike him.

But then his words came and that feeling of suffocation heightened. Her eyes remained steady on his, clearly receiving the warning that lingered with them but she refused to show the emotion his response caused. A coldness had spread throughout her body, stomach twisting painfully as she was once more reminded of their deal. A deal she now had to uphold with her brother buried as she had requested. And then the added fact that he wished to have their first attempt that night. If she had no shame left, Carina would have leaned her head out of the window and the contents of her stomach lost. But she was better than that.

Instead, she pulled at her arm once, firmly, before he released it and allowed it to lay back in her lap. A muscle in her jaw tightened as she turned her head away to grit her teeth.

While she may detest the mere idea of carrying any of his children, they would be hers too. The thought of her being the reason to cause them harm sent a spike of anxiety through her, having to focus on keeping her arms from moving. They had twitched, so close to resting protectively over a stomach that held no life... yet. But Carina refused to even let that motion happen, his cruel words not invoking the full reaction he may have wanted.

"You're a joke," Carina finally said softly, keeping her eyes on the sight of the Ignisi castle that had finally come into sight, "You're an even bigger joke than the insipid, useless and laughable excuse for a king that your drunkard father was." Her eyes remained off him, deciding that if she were to look at him, it may allow him to focus on not reacting to her words. She wanted a reaction. She wanted that hypocritical behaviour.

"The only thing that could pose as a danger to our children is you, Sven. You and that fiery rage that you possess. How could I ever trust a man like you with the safety of our children? You have as little knowledge about how to treat a child as your father did, but I suppose it makes sense. You're happy for me to be the bait to your people's anger - tell me, do you think they will care when you aren't around if I am carrying you child? They may not even care when you are around. They barely listened to your father, you are just a replica of him-- aren't you? You are so stubbornly set on proving that you aren't him when, in fact, each decision you make... I just see his face."

It was expected for the other to return his vitriol so Sven didn't have the excuse of being blindsided by the intensity of the hatred that rolled off from Carina in waves. He knew by now that provoking her wouldn't just go unnoticed and ignored - though she had the irritating ability to sometimes manage to do so, to fail to give him the reaction he so desired from her, he was almost guaranteed a bitter retort if he hit the right sore point or insecurity. Her brother and his ultimate demise was an often sure-fire way of gaining that, but throwing in the possibility of her causing harm to their future children was an insecurity he was more than happy to play on.

It was cruel and completely out of order, but the young King wasn't in the habit of caring about other people's feelings. The only person he could honestly claim to harbour a genuine care for was Thorin, and even then that was a bond he kept hidden away in private, the depths of it perhaps even unspoken between the two in their own company. There was very little chance of him caring enough about Carina to spare her the fears and insecurities that might start to settle in her now he had cruelly opted to taunt her about the future well-being of their children; children she would be carrying and, according to Sven's taunts, could potentially harm with her behaviour.

He didn't necessarily believe she would ever cause harm to their children. If anything, he was entirely certain that given a chance, she would be a good mother - he didn't have to like her to notice the qualities of a loving, nurturing mother; one that would be completely contrasted to his own mother who lacked all maternal instincts. He could admit that he thought she possessed the qualities a child needed in a mother - but that wasn't quite as enjoyable as throwing salt into her wounds and watching her struggle to emotionally handle the vicious onslaught of his words.

...Not that he was any better at handling the comebacks. His particular sore point was his father and the inevitable comparisons to him that Carina would throw in his direction. He knew at his core that he was nothing like the man; that he was a far more capable and respectable leader and man than the former King ever was, but that didn't mean he was able of brushing aside the criticism so easily.

His fists clenched tightly as he struggled to contain the rage building within him. He could feel a heat spreading through his arms, the burning tingling sensation an indication of the elemental fire he could wield at will threatening to explode from him without any semblance of control. Were it not for Thorin's presence, he probably would have lost all control there and then - he needed Carina alive but in that moment, so blinded by anger, he could barely think that clearly. All he knew was that he despised the sight of her and setting the carriage ablaze didn't seem like too much of a bad plan.

Thorin's presence at his side enabled him to calm down enough so that the flames threatening to expel from him simmered, a deliberately slow and calm breath leaving him. He kept his eyes focused on the world outside the carriage to collect himself, only peering across at his wife once he was sure her presence wouldn't cause him to drown her in flames.

"Comparisons to my father are inevitable, I'm not going to deny that he and I share clear and obvious characteristics, at least physically. Perhaps even regarding my personality too. But I suppose that means that my child, my son or daughter, will possess such genes too. As much as I detest the man my father was, a part of me would love nothing more for you to have a son and for him to be the replica of my father, purely to spite you. You're going to have an Ignisi child, Carina. No amount of petty bickering and ridiculous insults is going to change the fact that a child you'll carry and birth will be my flesh and blood."

Carina decided it was best to ignore her husband, and the two others that were forced to witness their bickering for that matter, for the rest of the journey. Not that there was much further to go, since the Ignisi castle was in sight. Inwardly she hoped and she prayed to whatever deity that might be listening that their child would never resemble their cantankerous father or drunken paternal grandfather. She willed with all the strength in her bones that their child would wield snow and ice rather than the flames that engulfed her kingdom. That would be her biggest victory, if the heir to the throne could manipulate ice rather than fire.

However, whatever powers the child turned out to have, she would protect it with her life. She didn't care about the deal she had made with Sven, if any danger or threat came about to their first child before any others were born, she would happily risk her life to keep it safe. For Sven to suggest that she would be the biggest risk posed to it was an insult. Yet an anxiety that played on her mind.

With her refusal to speak to anyone else in the carriage for the rest of the journey, Carina was unable to help as the insecurities clawed at her, dragging her toward a deep, black hole that threatened to swallow her up. Her fingers had, at some point, tightly gripped her dress skirts, bunching the material within her fists. However that was the only sign toward the inner turmoil she faced.

She was saved by the lurching halt of the carriage, inches away from being sucked into the depths of her anxieties and immediately stood to climb out of the carriage. Her strides were purposeful and long, only once calling for Lauren sharply to follow her and without a single look back.

For the rest of the day, Carina did her duty as was necessary, only speaking when truly warranted when it came to Sven. She was already immensely tired of him, the abysmal funeral held for her brother draining her emotionally. She didn't want to be sat at another long table helping to plan his pathetic parents' funerals, nor did she want to listen in on preparations for his coronation. Of course she would also be crowned Queen, but it was all hot air to Carina. She doubted she would have any power, any say. Her guidance or advice wouldn't be sought by anyone, especially not Sven. She would be a mere trophy just left to collect dust and pop out heirs as and when Sven wished to try for another.

Then there was the pressing matter of him expecting her to join him in bed that night. While the hours had dragged during their copious meetings, Carina's anxiety levels continued to rise as it got nearer to the time that he would want her.

There was the case that she didn't want him anywhere near her, let alone touching her. But there was also the added factor that she knew he had been with other women. While she may have had a lover or two in Eira, to say he was more experienced than her was an understatement. There was a part of her that didn't want him to hold that over her, as he did with everything else in their life. Boring was a word she didn't want associated with her, in any aspect of her life.

So that's how Carina ended up sat on the edge of her bed after dinner and before bed, looking to Lauren with her fingers toying with each other. She felt ridiculous for what she was about to ask the maid, feeling like some prude young thing that had no experience whatsoever. But she had no experience with this man.

Clearing her throat, she straightened her spine and stopped with her fidgeting, although that didn't exactly cast her anxieties away.

"I need-- I need your help. I need to know what Sven... likes." Carina admitted, nose wrinkling as if the whole sentence was a bad taste on her tongue, "He'll be expecting me to be some frigid, unsuspecting, nervous little thing and I can't allow that. He'll lord that over me and I'm not willing to subject myself to that humiliation. Regardless of what he may say the next morning, I'll know the truth as will he, and that'll piss him off to no end." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again to give Lauren her full attention once more, "I need your help on what will be best to wear, his weak points, maybe even... what to say."

The hours that passed by were mostly made up with the usual mundane chores Lauren was forced to undertake in her role as maid in the kingdom. As much as she wanted to remain near Carina's side at all times, a physical supportive presence for the woman to take comfort from, it was more or less inevitable that they had to part ways at some point. She may be assigned to Carina's side, but remaining there for all hours of the day might start to prick up suspicion within Sven - the man was far from stupid, after all, and if he got even an inkling that the two women were closer than they ought to be, everything, all their plans, would be for nought.

Thus, Lauren made sure to resume some of the more ordinary duties expected of her when Carina was (reluctantly) at her husband's side, aiding him with plans she evidently didn't have any interest in. As much as Lauren might have wanted to be there, if only in the background as silent support, she didn't have that choice and so spent much of the hours scrubbing the floors or dusting the books in the grand library; a place Sven had always valued and thus wanted kept in pristine condition at all times.

All the while, thoughts of a similar nature to Carina's were running through Lauren's own head. She knew what awaited the other woman when the night came and she felt nothing but sympathy for her - not just because of the act itself being with a man as contemptible as Sven, but also the potential repercussions of their intimacy. Just having to be near Sven, knowing how vile he was, was enough to turn Lauren's stomach. It took every ounce of strength in her to be around him and maintain her carefully constructed facade of obedience.

She couldn't bare to imagine how difficult it would be to go to bed with him knowing the aim of the event was to procreate; to carry his child for months on end. It was her idea of a nightmare and the fact Carina was willing to go through with it made her, quite possibly, one of the strongest people Lauren had met - and thus, one of the best people to call an ally and a friend in it all.

After dinner, the maid remained in almost complete silence as she made her way behind Carina, knowing all the while that that moment would be drawing ever near. In one way, of course it was a relief to her to know that she wouldn't have to spend a night with Sven - but any joy she felt at the fact was immediately undercut by the sympathy she felt that Carina had to.

"You want to know what he likes?" She murmured in slight disbelief, her eyes falling onto the other the moment she spoke. She had been preoccupying herself with carefully closing the heavy curtains over the grand window, wasting little time in undertaking the duty even if the relationship with Carina was less like a Queen and her handmaid and more like partners working together on a plan. Her hands stopped the moment Carina's comments landed, her frown deepening even despite the justification. The idea of Carina actively seeking to do something Sven liked, rather than make the event itself complete misery for him out of spite, bewildered her, even if Carina had her reasons for it.

"...I can't speak on what he definitively likes because it might differ. What he likes with Natalia might not be what he enjoys with me," she continued as way of saving herself if her following advice didn't work out. With a sigh of her own, she carefully took a seat on the armchair in the corner of the room and took a further moment to collect her thoughts.

"It's not... terrible, really. As detestable as he is, he-- he's irritatingly not that bad. He's surprisingly thoughtful and gentle and-- I think he likes that. Sensuality and passion, over just getting the thing done quickly and devoid of intimacy, but-- again, I'm not sure if that'll apply to you tonight if this is about procreation, not necessarily borne from passion and attraction, but-- but I'm sure a few kisses to his neck will help you out; he likes that.

"And-- And he's surprisingly not too dominating, he likes me to take control a lot of the time. We both know he enjoys you talking back to him, even if he'd hate to admit it; I'm sure you asserting some control in private would be something you could hold against him in future. He'd hate for it to get out - he'd think it'd impact his authority in the eyes of his people."

Carina struggled not to reiterate her thought process behind her wanting to know what brought Sven pleasure at Lauren's incredulous reaction. Her fingers fidgeted within the skirts of her dress, having not yet changed into suitable sleepwear either. Is that what she would be expected to wear, just something for sleep? Would she also then be expected to sleep in his bed afterwards or could she escape to her room once the deed was done? There were so many different questions in Carina's mind that she had no answers too. However she supposed that if she left him once the task was done, he could call upon his precious bitch Natalia.

"It doesn't matter, any little thing will help." She shook her head, standing as her nerves finally got the better of her. She moved to the large wardrobe that stood along the one wall of her room, wiping sweaty palms against the bodice of her dress.

Exhaling, she pulled open the door that exposed a number of different draws which held a selection of nightgowns. "I was about to say, I don't suppose you truly believe he'll waste an ounce of passion and sensuality on his wife now, do you? He said so himself at breakfast, this is just about the heirs. This is about procreation." Licking her lower lip, her eyes trailed over the options she had before her. It disappointed her that none of them were white or light blue, or any colour pertaining to her old kingdom for that matter. That would have been a nice, spiteful gesture.

"Like you said, it can be something I can hold against him. While he could deny it and say otherwise in public, we'll both know the truth. But if knowing what he likes can bring him pleasure, the whole thing can be over quicker. Putting up a fight and trying to deny him any enjoyment could just lead to the whole night being longer than... than what it needs to be."

Eventually Carina looked over her shoulder to the young girl and beckoned her over, "Help me choose something. I-- I'm a little over my head here." She murmured, taking a step back from the wardrobe so the maid could see.

She stood, arm across just under her chest and the other raised to press her fingertips to her lips in thought. "I suppose it's tiring being dominating in every aspect of life." She then muttered with a shake her head, fingers then moving from her lips to run through her hair, "You know, Lauren..." She began afterwards, walking away from the wardrobe to sit on the side of the bed facing her maid, eyes on her but not really seeing her.

"...I don't know what I want to happen tonight. I don't know if I want this evening to be a failure, so I don't have to carry his child so soon - prolonging my life and allowing me a few extra months. Or if I want to become pregnant straight away so I don't have to go to him at his every beck and call at night."

The dilemma was one Lauren had never had to consider. Her experiences with Sven were completely regrettable but they served their purpose in the perpetuation of her false loyalty to the King. She was fortunate in the sense that she never had to concern herself with bearing the man a child - and the complications involved in when that ought to happen. If it happened early, then Carina was at least spared the misfortune of having to be near the man; a luxury that Lauren couldn't have when she had fallen into the role as Sven's lover, of which neglecting his advances would provoke irritation and lose her the valuable role in his inner circle.

Yet, should Carina not fall pregnant, then she would have to suffer through a repeat of the process until she did. Lauren was at least aware of how soul-crushing it could be to be intimate with a man like Sven, but could she really claim that was the worst of the options? As demoralising as it might be, she would at least guarantee herself more time living and breathing... though even then, Lauren knew that in the other's situation, she would probably favour the former option. She knew from experience just how horrendous it was sleeping with a man who had a hand in the destruction of her homeland and its people, and if there was a way for Carina to limit the amount of times she had to put herself in that situation, then it was worth praying to fall pregnant as soon as possible, despite the potential consequences.

"...Either option isn't entirely favourable but I-- don't wish for anyone to be in a situation like I am, having to be with Sven in an intimate setting a couple of times a week. If you want my opinion, it'd be best if you fall pregnant sooner rather than later, so you can avoid being in that man's bed. It's- it isn't nice, Carina. It's-- if I wasn't a strong person, it would have crushed me by now - and I don't wish for you to have to summon that sort of strength longer than you need to," she admitted quietly as she eased herself up from the comfort of the armchair to assess the clothes in the vast wardrobe. Even if Carina wasn't yet exposed to the full luxury the castle possessed, she still had been assigned to a modest room, in which a wardrobe stood containing dresses that probably cost more than Lauren would ever physically be able to earn.

She didn't want to find each and every garment fascinating but she couldn't help but to quietly pick through each dress with a slither of jealousy exposing itself. She detested the colour scheme that ran similarly through the clothes, the dark crimsons and blacks making her cringe, but the fabric and the designs were exquisite; she couldn't deny that. Even though she was close to Sven as one of his lovers, she hadn't received any of the benefits that came with it. She wasn't at his side for the material gifts that might come from it, but it wouldn't be entirely unappreciated. Yet, when she had none to speak of, it wasn't even worth debating whether it was morally right to have the gifts or not - however eager she might be for a nice dress or two.

"This is nice; he'll like this," she decided after a few more minutes of absent admiration of the other's new wardrobe, plucking out from within it a silk nightdress. The crimson colour wasn't ideal, given the connotations with Ignis, but the lace detail and plunging neckline were features Lauren saw as appealing - and Sven almost certainly would too.

"You'll be okay, Carina. I'm not going to lie and say that tonight will be easy but... you'll get through it. Just think: one day we'll manage to kill the bastard. We might have to do things we dislike along the way but we'll get to see him die at our hands one day. That's-- that's the one thing that's gotten me through a lot of what I've had to do here."

Carina blinked herself back into focus as Lauren turned with nightgown in hand, her nose wrinkling at the blatant Ignisi colours. But that was something she would have to get used to now. These dark crimsons, deep burgundy, blacks and smokey greys were all now a part of her colour scheme. A far cry from the crisp light blues, the rich sapphires, pure white and sparkling silvers. The former Eirian princess eyed the neckline suspiciously, immediately envisioning and hating the amount of exposed skin that would be on show. These silks and chiffons, while soft and smooth to the skin made her feel awfully vulnerable. The cottons and muslin that she was accustomed to were almost like a second skin, an armour to protect her against anything.

She forced herself to stand, taking the necessary few steps to join the maid near the wardrobe and reach out to take the material between her fingers.

"Perhaps I could get some relief for you with all this going on." She then thought out loud, finally taking the nightgown from Lauren. She moved to lay it over the top of the screen she would stand behind eventually to change, only turning to offer Lauren the ties on the back of her dress afterwards to undress her. "Convince him he needs to stop wasting himself on his harem of whores. If he wants an heir he needs to practice control and.... save himself... for me." Nausea twisted in her stomach as the words were said out loud. "Not that I believe he'll listen, but if it ends up with giving you some respite then it would be worth it. Not to mention it'll also be a win if it angers that bitch Natalia, seeing her green with jealousy would be a pleasurable bonus."

Once the ties were loosened, Carina stepped behind the screen to change. Her day dress thrown over the top of the screen and the nightgown disappearing to her side. Moving back around, a long breath escaped her as she sat at her vanity table to remove the pins from her hair. She took the hairbrush in hand, but made no move to begin combing out her hair. It would mean she was one step closer to having to walk to Sven's chambers. Something she was attempting to prolong for as long as possible.

"I just hope we manage to kill him before I give him what he wants. The deal we made included my staying alive to help bring up the children but I highly doubt he'll keep to that. I wouldn't be surprised as soon as the third child is weened he'll have my head."

"You-- You really don't need to do that for me, Carina. I-- couldn't, in good faith, allow you to deal with him alone. Like you said, he wouldn't listen so debating it is useless but still, I won't allow you to suffer the indignity of sleeping with him on a more regular basis just to spare me a night or two a week of the nightmare. I knew what I was getting into when I embarked on the plan - and given how prone he is to speaking from his heart around me in those instances, it's worthwhile that I continue. He might let something slip he shouldn't; something that could benefit us," she reminded insistently, dutifully tying the back of the dress up and taking a step back to take in the woman fully. It was a beautiful nightgown, in spite of its horrendous colour scheme, but it was just a shame that she was having to wear it for such a devastating occasion.

Sleeping with the man that had physically slaughtered her brother was hardly going to be something for Carina to eagerly look forward to, after all.

Admittedly, the idea of having some respite from the man's increasingly frequent demands of her would be beneficial but, morally, she knew she couldn't agree to the offer. Not when it would simply rack her with guilt and, if only on a purely tactical level, it would potentially cut Lauren off from snippets of useful information that Sven, after intimate moments, had an unfortunate habit of letting slip out. That alone had kept her going through with her plan, and she wasn't going to stop now; not if she could find out something that might aid Carina and her in their plans.

"...You won't die, Carina; I promise you that much. If he thinks I hate you, he won't hesitate to boast to me about his plans to kill you - we'll be a step ahead of him at all times. As unpredictable as he is, we have the upperhand here; don't forget that," she smiled lightly in an effort to ease the growing feeling of anxiousness in the room, a feeling she found growing even within her despite not being the one to currently have anything to be truly anxious about. At least not in comparison to what Carina would soon be going through.

She took a deep breath to relax herself as she turned to examine the vast array of perfumes upon the counter, plucking out one in red glass in an effort to be helpful. She knew what scents Sven preferred, and the musky perfume would appeal to him; just another little thing to draw him in and leave him incapable of taunting Carina with how boring and plain she was. If the aim was to make an impression, to hold that over him in private, then even the little things had to be done right and taken into account - like picking out the right perfume to get his attention.

"Are you ready? I can walk with you to his bedroom, but I'll probably have to speak to you tomorrow morning unless-- unless you really need someone to talk to after it, in which case you can come and find me in the servants' quarters. He won't want you sleeping in his bed, he doesn't even let Natalia do that."

"I suppose you're right. You've worked this hard and for this long, dealt with it for this amount of time... it wouldn't be right to undo all your hard work." Carina supposed, glancing across to where she was sat, finger quietly tapping against the handle of the hairbrush. Carina knew that having Lauren on the inside, as she suggested he was, was an incredible help. She could imagine Sven, in his arrogance, was not even capable of believing that any one of his mistresses could turn on him the way that Lauren was planning to.

Reluctantly she raised the hairbrush to her head, gently and carefully untangling the strands as she thought silently for a moment. She knew the thick anxiety in the air was all her creation, but she was unable to help it. It crept up on her without her even realising and started to suffocate her before it was too late to do anything. It's grip on her only lessened slightly each time Lauren spoke, reminding her of where she was and what she had to do.

Her eyes raised to watch the maid as she approached the table, reaching for one of the bottles. Only for them to close as the musky scent was sprayed and landed lightly against her skin. "Thank you." She murmured simply in acknowledgement, lowering the brush to the table.

Eventually she stood, stepping to the wardrobe to reach for a matching silk dressing gown to throw over the top of herself. She couldn't bear having to walk down the hallway in the nightgown alone.

At Lauren's question, she took a deep breath and turned to face the young girl, forcing a reassuring smile to her lips.

"Only part of the way. I can't have him thinking you physically had to escort me to his room, I doubt he would think that you were there as moral support but I also don't wish to risk it. Thank you for letting me-- thank you for telling me where you'll be. But it would be safer if I just return to my chambers straight away - we can't be sure what little spies he has roaming around at night. We'll talk in the morning."

It had occurred to Lauren just how quickly the bond had formed with Carina. She had only very recently revealed to her her true nature behind the obedient maidenly facade she reluctantly had to wear and, though she was determined to work with the Queen, trusting her had, initially, seemed like a task that would develop over a longer period of time. Yet, within no substantial time at all, she not only completely trusted Carina but genuinely liked her; another fact she thought wouldn't occur quite as quickly. She had been certain that she would remain nervous and anxious in her company, the other's royal status playing a part in that, but now? Now she was able to confidently offer Carina the vocal support a friend would give another.

In an ideal world, their newfound friendship would have been borne naturally in a less stressful and devastating situation - but just because they had joined forces over a mutual hatred of the Ignisian King didn't make the new friendship any less valid. In fact, Lauren was almost certain that their shared experiences in losing everything they had ever loved would make that friendship stronger - and if nothing else, it would definitely help them get their eventual revenge on Sven.

Part of getting that eventual revenge meant doing things neither of them wanted to do, and bearing him children was apparently one of those things Carina had to go through with. It was a huge, genuinely life-changing decision to go through with and, given the fact Lauren wasn't sure she could go through with it if the roles were reversed, seeing Carina head from the bedroom to do so left her genuinely impressed with the strength she possessed.

"It's down the corridor and to the left," she murmured quietly once obediently coming to a stop in the middle of the hallway, having remained silent the duration of the journey until then. She forced herself to stop wringing her hands with the fabric of her dress, though failed to prevent biting her bottom lip in her anxiety. "I-- I'll speak to you tomorrow, just-- it'll be over quickly, I'm sure. Just-- be strong. I know you will. Just remember why you're doing this and... and that'll get you through it."

If things had been different, this would have been the moment that Carina turned and pulled Lauren into a tight hug. Already the young maid had proven herself true to her word and had done exactly as Carina had asked of her - helping to pull Carina out of the depths of despair she had already found herself so close to losing herself in. With Sven finding her weaknesses so quickly, and with Carina having had no one left she felt like she could count on... her path could have taken a drastic turn if she hadn't found Lauren. So that was one thing she could, actually, thank Sven for. For bringing the two together and allowing them to bond in their mutual hatred and disgust.

But she couldn't. All she could was push her shoulders back as she kept her eyes on the rest of the corridor before her. If she looked to Lauren, she knew her own anxieties would be reflected back to her, she would pick up on those nervous habits and that wasn't what she wanted.

I am a Queen. I am a Queen. I am a Queen.

Carina flashed the young girl a quick smile, repeating the mantra to herself over and over until it became a chant in the back of her mind. "I'll see you in the morning." She answered as her dismissal, soon hardening herself back to the bitch ice princess that Sven would forever see.

Pressing on, she left Lauren behind and didn't dare to look back lest she convince herself to defy Sven's orders and return to her room. Carina focused on her breathing, listening to the soft padding of her feet against the warm stones beneath them. Focusing on anything but what was waiting for her just down the corridor and to the left as Lauren instructed.

Soon, too soon, Carina arrived at the door. She stood outside, and raised a fist which only hovered there rather than knocking. Catching herself in her hesitance, she took a deep breath and knocked twice before opening the door and stepping in without waiting for a call. She didn't care if he was busy, or otherwise occupied. He wanted her in his room that night, so he would have her but she wasn't going to stand outside waiting for him to call her in like one of his little sluts.

She barely looked in his direction as she surveyed his room, only to lock eyes on a small drinks tray just along on the same wall as the door. Carina remained silent as she walked to it, removing the glass topper from one with amber-gold liquid to begin pouring herself a glass, again without confirmation she could do so. Eventually the glass carafe was lowered back onto the tray, but she paused, finally turning her head to look at him over her shoulder.

"Would you like one?"

Perhaps it was a reflection on how little he was looking forward to the event that it had completely been forgotten by Sven. Rather than spend the day with the thought lingering at the back of his mind like with Carina, who had spent the past ten minutes doing her best to build up the strength needed to go through it, Sven had genuinely forgotten all about the intention he had uttered earlier that day. He, like Carina, didn't really want to go through with it - but it was a necessity; an unfortunate one he had to go through with someone he despised, just to have the one thing he desired most in the world. A son or a daughter.

Were he expected to have a child with anyone else, he would have gladly looked forward to the event with genuine eagerness... but it was with Carina. Someone he was unsubtle about proclaiming his hatred for. Someone who was a thorn in his side. Someone who appeared to make it her mission to deal him cruel blows that often always got under his skin. Never before had he met someone so capable of hitting him where it hurt the most, and every one of those intended insults comparing him to his parents only served in allowing that preexisting hatred for her to grow.

And now he was apparently expected to go to bed with her - a fact he had already come to terms with but was so disinterested in that he had willingly allowed it to slip from his mind. Unfortunately, he was quickly brought back to reality upon Carina's entrance into the bedroom, his head lifting to take in the sight of the Queen in the nightgown. Immediately, his brow raised in slight confusion at the effort she had gone through, the scent of the musky perfume reaching him a few seconds later and doing little to alleviate his bewilderment.

He knew that there was no chance that Carina was making the effort out of some genuine desire to please him - there was more chance of pigs flying before that happened. Thereby, he knew that there was an ulterior motive, his mind working fast to realise that she wanted to please him in order to hold his enjoyment against him; another thorn to twist into his side at a future date. Yet, just because he knew that didn't mean he was entirely capable of fighting against it to irk her, his eyes having already strayed down her in reluctant admission of attraction.

"I could do with a drink, yes," he replied as he quietly set aside the sketchbook settled on his lap. He did have hobbies other than flaunting the power that came with being King, after all, and art was one of them. He had always turned to it growing up as a way of relaxing his mind whenever his parents inevitably hurt him, and while he was prone to boasting, it was the one thing about himself he kept private and did little to show off his talents in. It was why he discreetly turned the page over upon Carina's entrance, setting the book aside with no desire to converse on the matter.

"I'm glad to see you've made an effort. I must admit I forgot entirely about this - I suppose that's a reflection on how much you bore me," he drawled with deliberate bitterness, sitting up against the headboard of his bed in an effort to relax himself. "...Let's hope we succeed the first time around, because I don't entirely want to repeat this process with you. I'll be calling in Natalia soon after you leave; I imagine that's the only way I'll be getting any pleasure tonight."

His words came in true biting fashion, as she had come to know. It caused her eyes to close as she kept her back to him, taking a deep breath to calm herself and control her own tongue from retorting. The whole event would be even more painful if she were to fight back against him. It would be a miserable night as it was, but if she had to listen to his spiteful words it would make things all the more worse.

So that was why she didn't call him out on his wandering gaze, nor did she snap back with her own retort about potentially missing out on pleasure.

Instead, Carina poured a small amount of the amber liquid into a second glass and turned to approach where he sat on the bed. She even rounded the piece of furniture so she stood on his side, allowing the perfume to grow stronger as she grew closer. Her gaze flickered to the sketchbook, a streak of curiosity darting through her and she made a mental note to question Lauren about it later. However the fact that it was on an empty page suggested the whatever talent the little King had was something he wished to hide. Not that Carina ever expected him to answer her questions about it if she were to press him on the subject.

Once he had taken his glass, she perched carefully on the edge of the bed next to his feet. The liquid swirled around in the glass as she stared down at it, reflecting on what Lauren had said and advised for the briefest of moments before knocking back the drink in one, quick swallow. She then reached out to place the empty glass on his bedside table, nose wrinkling at the burning sensation the liquid had caused.

"I'm sure Natalia would thoroughly enjoy that." She answered simply, finally standing and removing the dressing gown. She took a few steps to drape it over the arm of the nearest chair before returning to sit by his feet once more.

Her fingers combed through her hair, eyes surveying the room to take in all the details before glancing across to him. Once seeing he was done with his drink, Carina forced herself into action.

Taking a deep breath, she moved to straddle him and reached to begin working on the buttons of his shirt. Her eyes stayed on the shirt, not daring to meet his as she then leaned down to press her lips to the spot just below his ear, over where the pulse of his heart beat. "But if we're to do this, I don't want to hear one word about Natalia. Your little bitch can wait." She then murmured into his ear, allowing the warmth of her breath to brush over his skin.

Sven was smart enough to realise and acknowledge the ulterior motives behind the effort Carina had gone to to make an impression, but he had no way of knowing how she seemed to have stumbled upon doing everything that he personally enjoyed. She wasn't going to know the perfume he enjoyed on his lovers, nor was there any way for her to have known where he liked to be kissed and the confident, in-control body language she portrayed to do so.

He contemplated briefly the idea that she might have sought advice from some of the lovers he had told her of, all in the effort to please him and have that to taunt him with at a future date, but he eliminated that possibility from his mind almost as soon as it had appeared there. Natalia would never have divulged any information to her, no matter how many times Carina asked, and the only other of his lovers he had seen Carina interact with was Lauren - and from the impression they had been sure to give off, he wasn't in the opinion that they liked one another. Certainly not enough for Lauren to disobey him and hand over advice to the very woman he disliked.

Little did he realise that he couldn't be further from accurate; that Lauren harboured no loyalty towards him and had gone out of her way to ensure Carina succeeded in her endeavour.

All he could do was assume that either this was an extraordinary display of luck for Carina, that it was simply good fortune that she had managed to do everything he enjoyed, or that she was smart and had simply made an educated guess based on observations. Either way, her confident kiss just below his ear did enough to quiet him. He knew what she wanted from him and, thus, he was stubbornly determined not to give that to her. He wanted to appear bored senseless and completely unimpressed with the event and everything she did within it - but it wasn't an easy task, the King having to bite down on the inside of his cheek to give himself pain to focus on, rather than acknowledge the pleasure he otherwise felt.

"Don't call her a bitch. She's twice the woman you are; have some respect," he grunted under his breath in a weak attempt to annoy her; to disrupt her from focusing on her plans and let them falter, if only for a moment or two. He doubted it would work, recognising a determination in Carina that he knew instantly would be nigh-on impossible to remove. "--We don't need to-- make this anything more than it has to be. It's not romantic, nor sensual. It's a job we have to do, nothing more - why prolong it?"

Once Carina was finished with the few buttons at the top of his shirt that allowed the neckline to open a little further, she dropped her hands to the hem of the garment. She kept applying feather light kisses along the side of his neck, eyes squeezing shut as she tried to forget just whom she was doing this to.

A man that had killed her brother. That destroyed her kingdom. That was a constant threat to her life.

His words felt like a pick-axe to her skull and she once more forced to bite her tongue to a certain degree. Her fingers slipped under his shirt to lightly caress his abdomen, teasing along his skin with fingertips and even the light and gentle graze of nails as her hands moved to his back. Her lips left his neck to appear again at his ear, brushing against it as she spoke: "Perhaps she is twice the woman, but never able to give you what I can... can she? So perhaps she ought to have some respect for me." She hummed before taking earlobe between her lips to nibble softly on. Not a move Lauren had told her about, but one Carina knew from experience.

Her stomach twisted as she played seductress, working the angles that she was told were best to work but her newfound friend and ally.

With a light nip to his neck, Carina pulled back to start rolling up the hem of his shirt to pull it off. Only while he was occupied with the action and with pulling off the material did she release a shaky exhale. Her legs, either side of his thighs and knees inline with his hips, tightened slightly but more in an attempt to keep her body from shaking with her anxiety.

I am a Queen. I am a Queen. I am a Queen.

The mantra came back to Carina as she bundled his shirt up and tossed it somewhere to the side, uncaring as to where it landed. He would be right with his thoughts, that nothing he could say that evening would cause her to falter in her plans and damage her determination. Obviously there were one or two topics, but Carina hoped to keep him distracted enough to not even consider bringing those up.

Leaning forward, her hands came to rest over his wrists, holding them down with a gentle firmness that even she didn't realise she could muster when it came to Sven. Her lips landed on the center of his chest, working upwards and then to the right to brush and graze over his collarbone and shoulder. She paused for a moment at the base of his neck, allowing the warmth of her breath to tickle and tease any sensitive spots he may have before applying her lips to the crook of his neck.

This is for Lauren. This is for Emmett. This is for Eira.

Then the kisses worked upward, slowly, tantalisingly, mixing between light and barely there to soft nips that were immediately soothed once more by her lips.

This wasn't exactly how Sven imagined the moment to be. He had assumed (correctly) that entertaining even the idea of being in an intimate setting with him would be the stuff of nightmares for the Queen, thus having to act upon what was expected of her would be somehow even worse than all the dreaded thoughts her mind had plagued her with throughout the day. Thereby, he was almost smug in the knowledge that while he would hate it as much as she would, he could at least take satisfaction in knowing that she was hating it, having come to the conclusion that she would spend the entirety of their time together unable to hold back on showing that disgust and outrage.

And when she did, he planned on using that against her in future moments, to continually remind her that she had slept with him and dishonoured all her ancestors in doing so, especially her dearest brother who would turn in his grave if he knew what his sister was getting up to. Those were taunts he had planned in advance, so confident in Carina's inability to hold back her disgust towards him.

He realised quickly that the confidence was really arrogance, blinding him to the reality he already knew - Carina was stronger than even he gave her credit for, and apparently so determined that she was able to act as though this wasn't one of the worst things she had done. It was, he knew that because he felt the same way regarding her, but he was incapable of withholding the expression of surprise as she leaned in close as left the trail of kisses from the middle of his chest and up to his collarbone, that particular move eliciting a light noise of contentment he instantly regretted. Though he could regret it all he wanted - there wasn't any chance of fighting against the pleasure he felt, however wise he was to the fact she would inevitably use it against him.

He knew that she would. He knew that her moves weren't out of some well-disguised passion for him (he wasn't so arrogant to believe something like that). He knew, therefore, that she had reasons for her actions and that was, ultimately, to have something to hold over him; a trump card to shut him up or gain herself some authoritativeness when pushed into a tight corner. It was regrettable that he knew already he was going to hand that over to her, but the inevitability of it couldn't be fought against. He regarded himself as strong and unbeatable in many aspects - that didn't necessarily translate quite as well when it came to the bedroom.

Further seconds of the kissing eventually broke down the weak attempt at a barrier he had held up to prevent himself enjoying anything Carina was doing. It crumbled without too much difficulty, resulting in the young King leaning in the remainder of the distance between them to meet her lips. It wasn't a move out of affection -he never kissed for that reason, considering he lacked any genuine affection for his lovers- but out of a regrettable injection of passion; something he had been so determined not to offer her but was apparently reluctant to fight against.

Carina knew she would be a fool to believe that any action or gesture the young King made during their evening was out of any form of affection or tenderness. She knew that, just as it was for her, their evening was purely business. However how the one reacted to the act would be held over other for the rest of their lives. Carina was simply determined that she would not be the one in turmoil. Sven already had plenty to torment her with, this would not be another topic for him to dip into. She refused to have any further weaknesses that he could exploit. Her brother and their future child was enough.

So each noise she managed to elicit from him, every soft whisper she could evoke, Carina attempted to. At the beginning, she was attempting to mask the awkwardness and disgust she truly felt. However, as the evening drew on, she became more confident in her abilities and the reaction she was drawing out from her sadistic husband. It helped not to dwell on who she was doing this to, but rather who and what she was doing this for.

She met his kiss easily, hands falling to rest at his hips for a moment before they reached up to tangle into his hair and pull him tighter against her. Control. She had to show control.

For the rest of their night together, and as she grew in her confidence on just what her actions were doing to Sven, Carina relaxed into her role as seductress. She continued to work on the sensitive spots she found along his neck, hands roaming and gently scratching at his back, only allowing their lips to meet when he instigated it. That was one thing she could not bring herself to do first - kiss him on the lips. It wasn't long before she was pressing him down against the bed, fingers working at the belt and trousers that needed to be removed last. Carina ensured she remained in her nightgown, not allowing any of her body to be shown bare.

Once they had both found their release, Carina let go of his wrists that she had been pinning against the bed just above his head. Her lips pulled away from his throat and it was to her greatest pleasure that she saw the damage she had done. There were a handful of little marks, some just redness of skin and others looking more hickey like. However, there was a purpling hickey at the side of his neck that she was particularly proud of. Some of it would be hidden, but the top would stick out just slightly over the collars of any shirt he wore, visible by all. A claim, proof that the night hadn't been as it was probably thought to have been.

Rolling off him, Carina laid out on the bed for a moment, staring up at the ceiling, her usual cold and stoic expression creeping back in. Now it was over, she didn't have to pretend anymore. It was undeniable that her skin was flushed, having ensured to take her own pleasure during the act (why waste an opportunity?). However she didn't lie there for long, despite what was said about doing so to make sure the best chances of conception were taken.

She was not about to have Sven dismiss her like one of his whores.

Instead, she silently stood to collect her dressing gown from where she left it over the nearby armchair to shrug on over her warm skin. Carina kept her back to him as her fingers ran through her hair and then left, without a single word or glance in his direction.

The next morning, Carina had taken a warm bath to scrub her skin clean off the memories of last night. Not that it would help. Not with what she had planned.

Instead of dressing into something for the day, she pulled on a loose fitting nightgown, sheet black satin and red lace with a small slit on her left leg. A silk red dressing gown was thrown over the top and she pinned her hair up to accentuate her throat. Another musky perfume was chosen, only a spritz of it being applied to the hollow of her throat. All chosen just as another, spiteful reminder of their evening.

Then the new Queen left for breakfast.

She was grateful to be the first one down the next morning, simply rolling her eyes as she assumed that Sven probably did call Natalia after she had left just as he said he would and was still lazing in bed with his adviser. From this presumption, Carina took the seat nearest to the one at the top of the table, believing she would be done with breakfast before he arrived now but still not wishing to take the top seat.

Helping herself to the breakfast foods that were on offer in the centre of the table, Carina couldn't help but allow her gaze to dart up toward the doors that lead into the kitchen in the hope of seeing Lauren. Not that they would be able to speak, with it being too risky.

She settled back into her chair, beginning to peel an orange while her coffee was poured for her.

Last edited:
Whatever he had expected from the night, Sven had to come to the conclusion by the end of it that all his assumptions had been flat-out wrong. However determined he had been to smugly proclaim come the morning that Carina was utterly pitiful in bed, particularly in comparison to his lovers, he simply couldn't utter those words. Well, he would; he wasn't going to stroll into breakfast admitting that the night had been enjoyable (if only on a physical level) and thus would conversely laugh that it wasn't up to scratch; to ridicule and embarrass her as much as he could.

Even if such words would be uttered as a lie.

He couldn't deny to himself that the night was... good. More than that, even. Physically, purely based on how pleasure he derived from the evening, it had been one of the better experiences he had gone through. Emotionally, however, he despised every second of it purely for the reason that he had enjoyed it, knowing that he hadn't been subtle in exclaiming in the moment how much he liked Carina's strategic kissing along his neck or the control she seized upon pinning his wrists back.

And the fact he had let himself enjoy it, rather than follow through with it swiftly and coldly as he had intended, would be something he knew he would have to cope with, despite the ramifications he was certain would follow. Carina had succeeded in her mission, after all. She had achieved what she had set out to do and that alone was regrettable. The fact it also enabled her to gain a sense of the upperhand over him made it all the more horrendous. She didn't even need to verbally taunt him with the memories of their night together and the behaviour the King had been hopeless to fight against.

Just sitting with her at breakfast in silence would be difficult, Sven more than aware that they would both possess the knowledge of what had happened and that in itself made his stomach churn in disgust - both with himself for not resisting her obvious ploys, and with Carina herself for embarking upon them. She didn't need to utter a word about it when her presence alone would bring back memories from the night before for the King, and that was the main reason he was reluctant to attend breakfast. He didn't want to have to face the woman, knowing the smugness she would derive from the marks along his neck. He couldn't fathom how he could even feign casualness or nonchalance when it enraged him so much, and he didn't want to give her that reaction; to feed the enjoyment she would undoubtedly feel at knowing she had succeeded in getting under his skin so effectively.

But not attending breakfast would probably please her more - and if there was one thing he was determined to do, it was making sure Carina didn't have an easy time; not after the stunt she had pulled in the night. His arrival at breakfast wouldn't be expected and would ruin her anticipation of a peaceful meal in her own company. Though he preferred to remain lounging in bed and avoiding the potential for embarrassment, he dragged himself from the comfort of the duvet and proceeded with his morning routine, despite lacking much of his usual motivation to do so. After all, no amount of fussing would mask the mark on his neck that remained visible above the collar of his shirt, and nor would a pristine appearance prevent Carina's taunts.

He arrived in the room not too long after Carina settled at the table, the man remaining silent as he took his seat and reached for the first of his many coffees that morning. One hand held the cup while the other reached to try and smooth out his unkempt hair, if only to smooth down a few stray strands while the rest remained evidence of the fact he had just rolled out from bed. He attempted to sit back and relax, though the tightness of his jaw and slight narrowing of his eyes indicated the opposite; he was on edge (not entirely helped by the bitterness that came with Carina's deliberate choice of perfume) and even one word he didn't like from Carina would provoke an outburst.

"The funeral is today. The carriage will set off at about 10. The coffins will be ahead of us, through the crowds so they can pay their last respects. I imagine you'll not have bothered with a speech; I didn't expect the effort so it doesn't disappoint me," he drawled after several more seconds of silence, his blue eyes finally lifting from the table to meet Carina's. "The coronation will require more planning, but it should commence at the weekend; Sunday, I should think. At least take some time to prepare for that."

Carina's eyes raised to the door as soon as they opened, midway through a sip on her coffee. His appearance was a surprise, but not completely unexpected otherwise she would have helped herself to his seat at the top of the table. Perhaps she should have taken it... just to irk him even more. She lowered the cup from her lips, tongue darting out to lick over them as china softly slotted together as the cup hit the saucer. That was the only noise she made, however, choosing to allow the silence to grow as she picked at the orange slices.

However, as her gaze dared to flicker back across to him as she noticed him raise his own cup to be filled, her lips quivered with a smothered smirk at the sight at the few marks on his neck that were peeking out from under the collar of his shirt. Her cup was soon again at her mouth, unable to suppress the smirk any longer and a sip of her coffee was used to hide the expression of smug satisfaction.

The tension in his body did not go unnoticed by her, the jumping muscle in his jaw and the beginnings of a scowl making her all too aware of his current emotions. Did that stop Carina from enjoying her moment of victory? No, of course not. It was enjoyable to be in this change of positions, with him riled up and backed into a corner he didn't like while she could revel in this moment. Her own body language relaxed and carefree even after his entrance.

She was no fool. She knew that if the tables had been turned, he would be embarrassing her like there was no tomorrow. He would be making this breakfast miserable for her, telling her how pitiful she had been and how boring she was. She would hear Natalia's name on his tongue, forced to hear how he summoned the woman after their dutiful act.

It was dog eat dog in this kingdom, and Carina was glad she was not the one bitten this time.

As he finally spoke, she raised her gaze to meet his, schooling her expression to one of her own bored and nonchalant dismissal of his words. Carina chewed slowly on the slice of orange, head cocking ever so slightly to the side as she waited to give her response, allowing him to wait.

"Just as you didn't expect the effort last night, little king?" She shrugged, looking back to the last few slices of orange that sat on her side plate, "Well I'm afraid you - once again - will not be disappointed with my efforts because a speech was written. Not a very long one, I must admit... but at least it's been done." She side-eyed him, finally allowing the smirk to appear on her expression. Were her words truly reflecting her work on her speech? Or about last night? "As for the coronation, I don't care about it. That is your circus to run. You can plan it by yourself."

And there it was: the inevitable remark from Carina in reference to their night together. The predictability of it ought to have meant Sven was perfectly equipped to dealing with the emotional torment such words had on him, but from the twitch in his jaw and the further clenching of his teeth, he clearly wasn't able to brush the words aside. He had tried to brace himself for the inevitable taunts and naively assumed that he was ready and prepared to indifferently let them wash over him without retort... but the jabbing nature of them was like a sword that twisted painfully within him, incapable of being overlooked.

Without warning, a hand slammed down onto the table with enough force to cause the solid oak to creak within it. The contents of his cup spilled and the neat preparation of the cutlery was ruined, but none of it was considered by the King as he instead attempted to control himself, knowing from past experience that allowing the fire that burned within him to explode would cause devastation. He didn't want to risk burning down the castle that he now solely possessed and he certainly didn't want to accidentally kill Carina - when she had no more use to him then disposing of her wouldn't concern him whatsoever but he needed children. That alone was preventing her from harm, and it was that he had to remind himself of as he visibly struggled to control the element that apparently desired, in his anger, to find some release.

The wooden surface of the table beneath his fist started to smoulder and burn, at risk of catching fire the longer he rested his hand there. Fortunately, he seemed to gather some control of himself before that occurred, a low breath escaping him as he sat back against the chair and rested his hands on the arms of it, not daring to reach for anything until he could be sure that the fire had, for now, been satisfactorily quenched.

"I appreciate your effort in writing a speech, then. I can't imagine it was easy for you. Mind you, if that speech contains any digs at me, anything that may undermine me, I will not hesitate in severely punishing you. You may not be at risk of death while you bear me my children, Carina, but you aren't exempt from harm - it may just have to be emotional and mental, is all. I'll have to get creative with it. Don't make me resort to such measures; I don't want to have to put you through unnecessary stress. It won't be good for any child of ours," he murmured slowly and carefully, taking his time to speak for his own benefit - it helped him calm down and regain a hold of the authoritativeness he wanted to cling to at all times. With a slight nod, he finally reached back for his coffee to resume the breakfast, gesturing absently for a maid to clean what had been spilled.

Lauren approached carefully, her head low and eyes focused on her duty as she hurried into action, not daring to peer up until she could be sure the King was distracted with pouring himself a refill. Only then did she take a peek at Carina, managing a quick smile in reassurance (and relief to see that she was alright) before resuming the duty expected of her, knowing all the while that Sven's eyes had wandered over to her. Whether the unsubtlety of his roaming eyes was done so without thought or because he wanted to irk his wife wasn't something that was made clear - though his past behaviour and the slight smirk on his face behind his cup indicated towards the latter.