Playing with Fire

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"Well, she fucks him and is naive enough to believe that he loves her. She will still be an element of support that we will need to be wary of." Carina muttered, removing her hand from Lauren's shoulder to continue pacing. "She will still betray us at any moment, unless I can get into that psychotic mind of hers. If I can manipulate her enough into just doubting Sven's feelings for her, or even exploit her fear of never being enough for him... that'll be one less supporting element for Sven to fall back on."

Carina had noticed the disgust that flared within Lauren briefly, but chose not to comment. She had already promised to try and limit the amount of times Sven called for her 'services' now that the maid had been assigned to her. But there would only be so much she could do, between distracting Sven with her promise of heirs and also pretending to want to torment Lauren for the evening. Only so much could be done before the cruel King became suspicious.

Halting in her pacing, Carina's hands came to rest on her hips, clicking her tongue a few times in thought. "Then we must target them both. I understand Sven has other lovers, but they are only that - lovers. Natalia is unnervingly in love with the monster and this bodyguard must be a friend, going on what you said."

She went to sit back in her seat at the vanity table, a hand reaching out to rest on the table surface, fingers drumming softly. "And this... guard, what is he like? Because I may have to ask... for you to get close to him, as you have done with Sven. Quietly, discreetly." Carina informed the young girl delicately, fingers pausing in their tapping. "Would he become suspicious of such a thing?"

Hesitating, Carina took in a deep breath and huffed it out, almost irritably as another thought struck her. "I'm also going to have to ask you something else, Lauren. Sven's going to-- to use my brother's death against me." She swallowed thickly, gritting her teeth at the emotion she was beginning to feel again. "He will, rightly, blame me for everything that happened. And I-- I'm going to need your help to make sure I don't fall into that trap of despair. Understand? Whatever dark hole he digs me into, I'm going to need your help in pulling me back out of it."

If there was anything that could eradicate the feelings of disgust that had swelled within Lauren, it was hearing the other disregard and insult Natalia so easily and capably. Lauren had no respect for anyone that supported the policies the Ignisis had embarked upon, the royal families having a long history of taking pride in the cruel, unjust savagery that their name was synonymous with. Natalia was far worse than just a bystander who vocalised support in what the Ignisi family throughout the years had 'achieved': she was as close to the family as anyone could be, and integral in aiding and supporting Sven for years. To say Lauren despised the narcissistic adviser was an understatement, but she had never found anyone she trusted (or liked) in the kingdom to share that hatred of Natalia with.

In Carinaa, she had finally found someone, and she was unable to prevent a grin from spreading on her lips at the other's words. It was a moment of levity away from the stress that was a common, daily occurrence for her, allowing her for one brief moment to forget about the horrors she had experienced in Ignis... and the inevitable horrors that waited for her in her future in the kingdom.

She was brought immediately back down to earth with a thump at Carina's request, her brows knitting together and a hand reaching to fiddle with a strand of hair; a coping mechanism for her to try and deal with the news that she might have to grow close to Sven's guard, if that was what Carina thought might help their situations. She would do anything for the cause and if she could manage to be near Sven, then his guard was hardly an issue in comparison... but she also knew that the disgust she already felt with herself would be compounded if she had to lower herself to being with another Ignisian man.

"...I'm not too sure what he's like, I don't think we've shared more than a few words to one another. He's short with his words - whether it's out of awkwardness or distaste for people, I can't tell you. I don't really know him, but... I can get to know him. Sven has other lovers he preoccupies himself with, so I'm sure I can find the time to... befriend the guard without drawing too much attention to myself. When it's asked of me, I can do it," she reassured once more as she forced her hands back to her knees to maintain the rigid posture she had been taught to adopt once entering the household as a maid. Though she felt she could be more open with Carina, and that they might even be friends down the line, the Eirian was still royal, of blue blood - instinctively, Lauren felt herself falling into the habit of professionalism to avoid any possibility of disrespect.

"You were not to blame for what happened to your... brother, ma'am. Sven is; do not allow yourself to feel you are to blame for it. He's already won if you believe that; that's what he'll want you to think and... it simply isn't true," the maid continued following Carina's proceeding request, her frown forming in sympathy at the flash of emotion that crossed the new Queen's face. "...Of course, I understand, and I will not let him do that to you. I promise. We'll... get through this, ma'am. Just know he's not impervious to a taste of his own medicine; we'll inflict that upon him, in time. Together."

Last edited:
But I am.

Carina couldn't help the weak whisper in her mind which argued against Lauren's words. That spiteful, cruel voice that would remind her that it was her fault at every moment. She wouldn't need Sven to continuously plague her with guilt if her own subconscious was on the case. But his added badgering and sneering would only make things worse. That's why she needed Lauren.

"I'm giving you my permission here to do whatever you may need to do to snap me out of whatever state I may get into, understand?" Carina informed her, ignoring her words of assurance, "Anything, and I do mean anything. Even if, so long as we're in public, you have to slap me. Do it." The hand on the vanity table had tightened into a fist at the mere thought of the psychological and mental battle she was going to have to play with Sven. While she believed they had him pinned in from both sides, they were both fighting different battles with him. The aforementioned ones for Carina, but Lauren had the physical war of keeping him... entertained.

She took a moment to study the girl and her movements, her behaviour, her mannerisms. She was so formal, so tight with the tension in her shoulders and back. Professional. It made a muscle in Carina's jaw jump.

"By the gods, Lauren. Relax, would you." She stood, walking away to stand before the mirror in the room, checking her appearance. "Just so we're clear, I'd be happy to seduce his little bodyguard myself... but I've made my stance all to clear here. People know me. They know my title. I'm not as...inconspicuous as you will be. If I show a sudden interest into this guard after spitting venom about the Ignisi bastard... suspicion will be all too rife within their minds and our plan will be as good as dead."

Her gaze ran over herself, hands brushing over the bodice of the dress to smooth out the material over her waist and hips. "Although it would be interesting to see the look on Sven's face should he ever find out an affair of mine was successful and the child I bore first wasn't actually his." A bitter laugh sounded as she began fussing with her hair, "But I would never bring that sort of rage onto a poor child... one would have to be utterly heartless." She murmured, voice growing quieter.

Abruptly turning, her arms folded across her chest, "Now, we'd better head downstairs. We have a long and... emotionally draining day ahead of us." Carina exhaled heavily through her nose, "Funerals to plan, my brother's body to bury... I'm going to request you stay with me the entire day and to keep you for the night too." She then told the maid, clapping her hands together with a sense of finality, "I'll make sure he agrees to such terms."

Deciding to grab a last minute shawl before heading down for breakfast, Carina stopped in front of Lauren once more and waited until the other young woman had looked up at her before adding: "And please don't ever call me ma'am again. Or Your Highness or whatever else you can think of. In private, we are one and the same; call me Carina."

Being chastised for her dedication to her professionalism did relax the maid's shoulders - albeit a minuscule amount. It wasn't easy to suddenly abandon the instinct she felt to adopt that professional stance when she had been tirelessly forced into being the sort of maid worthy of serving the Ignisi family. When she first arrived, she had been berated by the royals for her less than ideal mannerisms and even teased and taunted by other servants within the castle for them too - now she had finally managed to instinctively fall into the professional role expected of her, it was beyond difficult to let it go in the company of a royal, even if that was what Carina desired of her.

At the very least, she knew she could probably manage to refer to the woman by her name rather than by a title, however alien such a concept felt to her. While she couldn't completely drop the stiff tension in her shoulders nor ease the rigidity of her back, she managed a more relaxed, casual smile in response to the kindness she felt radiating from Carina. After everything the other woman had recently gone through, the fact she was still able to reassure Lauren and offer her even a crumb of support was surprising - and evidence that Carina was the ally that Lauren had been patiently waiting to befriend during the entirety of her stay in Ignis.

"I'm sure he'll agree if he thinks that the longer we spend in one another's company, the more irritated the two of us will become, and he thrives off that. So I'm almost certain you won't have any issues convincing him, your highn-- Carina," she corrected as she slowly rose to her feet. The name felt strange on her tongue but managing to utter it was a small victory, hence the small smile that had arrived on her lips as a result of it. Any chance of experiencing even a slither of happiness was slim once they left the room, so naturally, Lauren clung to the moment as long as she possibly could before they reluctantly had to interrupt the blossoming union: Lauren to undergo her duties as maid and Carina to suffer the horror of sharing a breakfast table with her husband; a man who had savagely slaughtered her brother before her very eyes.

In contrast to the dread the two women would be justified in feeling, Sven was on cloud nine. How could he not be? His parents were dead, he was King (as would be consolidated by his eventual coronation) and Carina, as his wife, would suffer the indignity of having to bear his children, if all went accordingly to plan. All of that ensured that the young King settled at the head of the dining table with a self-satisfied, smug smile, unable to do very little else other than bask in his own glory and success.

After having showered, he had headed to the table to await Carina's presence, calmly sipping at his morning coffee and browsing a few papers prepared for him in regards to the funerals he had to prepare. Every time a servant passed by, he made sure to at least sniffle or look affected by his parents' deaths - even if he was ecstatic about it on the inside. At the sound of approaching footsteps, he immediately fell into the act of appearing bereaved and grief-riddled, only to let the fake emotions disappear from his expression when his eyes settled instead on his bodyguard.

Lauren was right to doubt that the two were genuine friends when Sven seemed the sort of man incapable of ever being genuine. Proceeding with caution was wise, therefore - the King was untrustworthy, deceptive and manipulative, so how could he ever be genuine and form a true friendship with anyone? Yet, the friendship was a genuine one, as far as Sven was concerned. Though differing in economical and social backgrounds, his guard was the only person Sven trusted and liked - hence his dedication and determination in ensuring his friend was promoted through the ranks to the status of his personal bodyguard. And now he was King, another promotion inevitably awaited the other man.

"You may as well come and sit down for a cup of coffee before my darling wife makes her long-awaited appearance for breakfast," he hummed as he gestured to the chair to his right, beckoning the other across eagerly. "...You ought to accompany me to Eira today. She wants me to go with her to bury her brother, and I'd like protection just in case the bitch tries something - I trust you to protect me, hm?"

Entering the breakfast room, Thorin smirked at the brief show of upset and devastation that Sven put on. The young bodyguard clapped his hands mockingly, but the smirk remained to suggest his teasing, "Please, don't stop on my account." He said, hands lowering for one to rest on the hilt of his sword. He was dressed in his usual garb of a deep red tunic, black trousers and boots, a light chest-piece of armour over the top and sword hanging from the belt strapped loosely around his hips. His hair was damp, suggesting he too had just rolled out of bed and showered.

The night had been a good one for Thorin, who enjoyed the evening with a number of different women - some at the same time. It had been a night to celebrate, not just for his friend's master manipulation and wedding, but also for the lives he had taken from the Eirian people. He had been within the group of guards summoned by Sven that evening, and had sadistically taken pleasure in every second of the bloodshed. Including the split blood of the former King and Queen. The guard was loyal to Sven in every each way, owing a lot of his career to his friend.

Having stood behind the chair Sven motioned too as his friend spoke, Thorin chuckled, pulling it out from under the table. "I don't know, that all depends on my promotion, Your Highness." He grinned, lazily settling into the seat. He leaned forward to grab a muffin, settling his teeth into it without a care for grace and delicacy.

"You'd like protection? Surely there's nothing to worry about with her now. She has that bracelet on, doesn't she? She's surrounded by your people. Do you really think she'd try something again now with her brother in two pieces?" He questioned, waving away the servant who had just poured him some coffee.

He brushed his hands free of crumbs, swallowing the last mouthful of the baked good. "And Eira? Fuck's sake, why are you allowing her to go all the way back there? I'm surprised you even agreed to let her bury her brother at all - what deal did she strike with you?"

"I killed her brother before her eyes, Thorin. If she hated me before that, I'm entirely certain that she despises me now. So yes, I imagine she's plotting something creative in that mind of hers; nothing that ought to trouble me too much, of course. I imagine her spirit will be crushed in no time, so I have no concerns about my life being in peril. No, I think my main motivation in bringing you along is so I can subject you to the boredom of being stuck in Eira at that boy's burial. I'm sure you don't want me to endure it alone; you aren't that selfish," quipped the King in amusement as he calmly picked out the raisins from one of the muffins, the corners of his lips dipping into a frown at the fact he had to do so. It was a simple oversight from the kitchen but it would mean that the perpetrator, the person who had failed to remove the raisins themselves, would be severely reprimanded for it.

He wasn't some snivelling little Prince that everyone looked down upon; he was the King and in no way, shape or form did he think he ought to make this much effort to enjoy his breakfast in the mornings. He would have exploded into some rage about it in an effort to earn himself the respect he deserved but he declined to do so, instead sitting back against his chair and finally indulging in the treat once it was to his liking.

"I despise that chilly land, but she was insistent that her brother deserved a burial there and... I had to agree. Believe me, bargaining with her was far from a highlight in my life but it was necessary. She's agreed to bear children for me without fighting or struggling against the idea, which will save a headache down the line. So one little visit to that place while she buries her brother is worthwhile, I think, if it gets me the children I desire," he eventually replied as he wiped his mouth carefully with the nearby napkin, being far more careful and graceful than his counterpart was. He did cast Thorin's ungraceful eating method a slight glance and had he been anyone else, he would have chastised him for it. Yet, such was the strength of their friendship, he simply found himself smiling and waving it off without a care.

"I intend on trying for a child tonight, if I manage to finish off the plans for my parents' funeral today. I also have the coronation to plan, which requires my full attention, but hopefully-- no, I'm sure I'll find time to enjoy a night with Carina. As irritating and detestable as she is, she's at least beautiful; that's the one positive I'm willing to offer her."

"Ah yes, how could I have forgotten that insignificant little detail?" Thorin raised an eyebrow, staring down at his coffee as he stirred some sugar into the dark liquid. "Her spirit wasn't crushed after last night? My my, King Sven, you've already begun to go soft and you're not even a day into your reign. What did you do - allow her a mere few hours in the dungeon before bringing her up to the goose-down pillows and silk sheets of the palace's beds?" He smirked to his friend over the top of his coffee cup, knowing that it wasn't the case but not passing the opportunity to tease his friend further. "I am usually selfish, but luckily for you I'm in amenable mood so I will accompany you - if not only for the amusement of watching you wrangle the Eirian bitch into her place."

Thorin's look of amusement remained in place as he sat back in his seat to watch his friend pick out the raisins. An arm was casually thrown over the back of the chair, sword lightly thumping against the wood of the chair leg as he did so. He was eager to see this new reign, keen to sink his teeth into the new position it would undoubtedly provide him too. Of course he had Sven to help him, but he had worked hard to get where he was. He knew Sven trusted him for a reason, not just for his ability to remain loyal and tight-lipped, but also to serve and protect as was necessary.

"And you really believe she'll hold up to her end of the bargain? Once that body is buried, it's not exactly easy to get it back. Especially in the fucking freezing weather of Eira." He pointed out, placing his empty coffee cup back onto the table but not signalling for more. "Be careful when it comes to having children with your beloved wife - you don't need your love for them manipulating and confusing your emotions toward her." Thorin stretched in his seat, still lazily basking in the endorphins experienced from the night before.

Laughin, he straightened, leaning forward to rest an elbow on the table. "Enjoy? Did I just hear that correctly? Enjoy an evening with the ice princess? I hope you mean enjoy in the sense you enjoy your evening's with Natalia. Because there's no way you'll be having a good night with her any other way if she despises you as much as she says." He grinned, "I'll ensure to give her a frisk before she's allowed into your room. I wouldn't put it past her to try and sneak a knife in someway or another. I'm not at all surprised you'd want to get started straight away."

Of course, Sven had considered the very possible notion that Carina would simply go back on her word. It would perhaps be the height of idiocy if she did, given the consequences that would inevitably follow such a betrayal of her promise, but it was still possible that she would choose to undertake that point of action. Yet, the King had a feeling that she wouldn't dare to test him in such a way, choosing to have faith that his new wife wasn't so stupid as to believe that she could go back on her word when he held all the cards in their marriage. He was the one with the power and the control; he was the one who could go back on his word, not Carina.

Which was what he ultimately planned to do. Once he had his children from her, there was nothing to stop him going back on the promise he had made to her. Her desire to be a part of their lives had been a promise he had made to her in their earlier bargaining, but once they were brought into the world, there was little else he needed from Carina... so why allow her any time with his children, to poison them against their father and warp their minds into believing he wasn't the father they deserved?

Because for all his faults, all the cruelty and evil that resided within him, Sven wanted children because he liked the idea of being a father. They were ultimately necessary to consolidate the dual control of Eira and Ignis, but they weren't simply tools for power in his eyes. He would never treat a child the way his parents had treated him, and he was determined to be the loving, supportive presence in their lives he had grown up without. Like hell would he allow Carina to involve herself in their lives and potentially ruin that chance for him, even if he had to betray his word to her.

But he didn't care about that - he had no qualms about being labelled as a backstabbing, two-faced manipulator. He owned that.

"...I'm going to have children with her but I won't be so naive as to be manipulated, have some faith in me, Thorin. God, I'm no fool. She won't be getting anywhere near those children anyway, not if I can help it," he hummed once more as he eased back to enjoy his second coffee of the morning, a leg lazily draping across the other as he took in the enjoyable moment with his friend. This was the first breakfast he could enjoy without his parents' overbearing presences ruining the occasion, and he was more than eager to soak in every second of it.

"Of course I mean enjoying it in that sense, I despise the woman. But I can at least enjoy the event, hm? I doubt she's much good, mind you, but I suppose I'll have to endure it. I'll just go to Natalia if I want a good night with someone, she's always eager to please me, as last night proved-- but you seem to have had a fun night yourself. Celebrating well into the early hours, weren't you?"

Thorin shrugged, looking around the room casually for a moment, "I'm not saying she'd be the one manipulating you." He pointed out, leaning back but still keeping his position of having his elbow resting on the table, "These children may not pop out one after another, Sven. And they'll take time before they're weaned from her tit-- I'm just saying, don't let any paternal feelings extend to her. Whatever love that I think you have in that stone cold chest of yours," he smirked, "Save it for your little heirs. Although I would love to see that happen, it would provide me with amusement for the ages."

Yawning, he sank back into his seat with his arm now outstretched and fingers momentarily drumming against the wood of the table. "You never know, you may be surprised-- I know I was last night." His smirk grew, mind briefly drifting back to his escapades from the night before. A newly hired servant, a young widower whose husband died in the war. Only been with him a few times before he was sent away to fight. She was inexperienced but once she got going... well, Thorin was considering seeking her out again for another round that evening.

"Haven't you assigned one of your lovers to her?" Thorin then asked, focusing back onto the conversation, "Just get her to teach our new frigid queen a few things that you like."

Running his hand through his hair, Thorin stood at the sound of footsteps echoing down the hall, "You have no idea," he winked, "And with this new promotion you're definitely going to give me, I'll have even more ready and waiting in my bed for me by the end of the week. You're not the only one who knows how to please a woman, dear King." He grinned broadly.

Thorin straightened his clothes and rested a hand on the hilt of his sword, "I'll have the carriage organised and the body... assembled ready for the journey." He informed Sven as the doors opened, bowing slightly but a smile of amusement still meeting his eyes as he turned to leave.

Carina halted in her steps at the sight of the second man in the room, eyes narrowing. Immediately she assumed it to be Sven's personal bodyguard, considering the jovial atmosphere in the room and the way the man smirked at her as he walked past without so much as a greeting. It made Carina bristle with contempt and she forced herself to clasp her hands behind her back instead of allowing them to form fists at her side.

"Husband," was all Carina allowed herself to say as she moved forward into the room, tight smile in place.

She settled at a chair to his left, one down from him. Not for the fear of being hit or being grabbed; not that it would matter with the flames he could conjure. It was just for the pure hatred she had for him, unable to sit any closer. If he wanted her on her best behaviour, then there would have to be compromises.

Allowing a servant to pour her a cup of tea, her gaze surveyed the food on the table and then lingered on her tea, "I'd like to think that all attempts of poisoning me are beneath you - both for the fact that you wouldn't be so cowardly and because you wouldn't dare make an attempt on my life since there are no heirs to speak of." Carina spoke delicately, as if addressing a child. "Then again, you are your father's son... getting your own hands dirtied isn't your style, is it?"

Fully aware of what the jibe could cause, based on his reaction the night before, Carina couldn't help but wish to be the first to insult the other. After all, he had made that last comment regarding her brother in the dungeon that had immediately swept her off her feet, and not in the good way. She needed to get her own back.

Having the conversation with his best friend cut short wasn't entirely ideal when he was eager to at least hear some of the gritty details about the other's night, though he knew that Thorin couldn't spend the entirety of the morning chatting when he had work to do to, namely to get Carina's brother's body prepared in the carriage for its eventual burial. Sven understood that and valued Thorin's dedication to his work, though it didn't stop the new King from pushing back against the chair and pouting petulantly in disappointment that he would have to wait to hear the details about the celebratory night his friend had had.

Besides, he also wanted to boast a little about his own night. He might not have spent it with a harem of women like Thorin, but he still felt entitled to gush over the details of how much fun Natalia could be with the one person he could chat to about it. Unable to do so when it was at the forefront of his mind, when he was still finding himself smiling over the memory when it was so fresh in his head, was disappointing... though he couldn't continue to dwell on that when he noticed Carina finally make her appearance

He had no reason to disguise the delighted smile that etched immediately onto his face - falsifying how he truly felt was no longer a necessity of his now his parents were dead and he was King, after all. Thus, he smugly took in the sight of his new wife draped in the rich colours of the Ignisi kingdom, finding the sight enjoyable for a plethora of reasons.

"Wife," he greeted in reply as he sat up to stir a teaspoon of sugar and a dash of cream into his coffee, his eyes never once leaving Carina's. He was understandably irked by the other's decision to place herself down a seat away from him, though managed to retain his composure and ignore her action to avoid giving her the satisfaction of knowing she had got under his skin.

Yet, he unfortunately gave that to her when she proceeded to bring up his father, the teaspoon in his hand cluttering down onto the hardwood table and his jaw visibly clenching together in the great effort it took not to react any further to the remark. Being compared to his father was his Achilles heel, much like how bringing up Carina's brother and placing the blame of his death on her was.

"...I did get my hands dirty when I slaughtered your brother, didn't I? I'm surprised that it slipped your mind so soon, my love. Did he really mean that little to you?" He retorted with a slow smile as he motioned for a nearby maid to dutifully clean the mess he had created by dropping the spoon so abruptly, leaving her to deal with it as he rested back with his coffee. "Let's not start our first morning as a married couple bickering, Carina. Today's going to be stressful enough as it is. I have plans to conduct and yet I have to spare time travelling to that dreadful kingdom to bury your brother. You ought to show some gratitude to me for that, but no matter; I'm sure I'll be able to mould you into the perfect Ignisian wife in no time."

"I would barely call it getting your hands dirty when you had him brought to you on his knees for an execution. Not the same, is it, my dear?" Carina cooed back, nails digging into the back of her hands as he taunted her once more about her brother. "I think I have more evidence of you wishing to avoid getting your hands dirty than you actually dirtying them." She added, finally reaching out to pick up her tea cup to bring to her lips. She avoided allowing a smirk of satisfaction or a grin of amusement settle on her lips at his reaction, a handful of reasons keeping her from doing so. One, because she knew he would be able to wipe it off easily with the right comment about her brother and two, because she knew that he knew she would be pleased at his reaction. Acting as if she truly didn't care, nonchalant with her insults to him, would be a lot less exhausting.

Carina would make it her goal to hide any future reactions to his comments about her brother, but she knew it would be hard. Especially if she was to spend all day and all night with him at times of his choosing. It could be even worse if he called for her to join her in his chambers, with no Lauren there to keep that black pit of despair from swallowing her up. However, she wasn't a fool to believe it would be easy. The bastard would be looking to make her crack, to bend and shape her into the dutiful wife he had just admitted to wanting to make her be.

She would never allow him that satisfaction. She would never be Ignisian.

"It's hardly my fault you wanted me to eat at your table. We could avoid a lot more bickering if we only came together when necessary." Carina answered with a shrug, a bored expression painted on her features. "And I never asked you to join me in the burial of my brother. I don't want you there." The last few words dripped with venom as a breakfast plate was laid in front of her. Carina kept her eyes on Sven however, fingers clenching around the tea cup before she lowered it.

Exhaling harshly through her nose, she picked up her cutlery to begin on the food. There was a lot. More than usual on her plate. She only had reason to believe it was something to do with their trying for heirs. The thought turned her stomach and the nausea that hit her almost had her off her food. But the long night in the dungeon, screaming and fighting against the chains had built up too much of an appetite for her to ignore.

"No amount of fire in your kingdom will be able to melt me enough for you to mould me, little king." She murmured after a mouthful of egg, turning her gaze back up to him, "By the way, I hope you have no intentions to take Lauren from me this evening. I plan to keep her to myself for further... chats. It was rather fun this morning. What a soft little thing... I didn't expect you to like the fragile ones."

The nonchalance and complete indifference that Carina often presented was what irked him the most. He could handle the smugness of seeing her satisfied with the results her behaviour towards him brought, and he could certainly manage the anger and disgust his presence seemed to cause to swell inside her (that was enjoyable, in fact). What he despised was the nonchalance; the unemotional, deadpanned expression that gave him nothing to react to. He had no doubt that it was a purposeful move, that behind the surface lied a wealth of raging emotions she was deliberately keeping from exploding outwards, but he wished that she didn't have the strength to manage to do so.

Sitting with her smugly smirking at him as she let cruel jabs at his ancestry leave her lips would at least allow him to retort viciously back at her and derive some amusement for himself. Nothing was stopping him doing that anyway, but it was far more easier to do so when he was motivated by wanting to rid the smirk from her face than it was when he was met with nothing but indifference.

It was why the sound of the venomous retort did so much for him, a relieved grin spreading across his face at having managed to bring some emotion out of her, contrasting the bored expression that had been so irksome to him just seconds before.

"Oh, it had totally slipped my mind that I had Lauren tend on you this morning. I do hope you got along with her," he continued as he took a break from his breakfast to instead devote his entire attention to his wife and the topic of conversation they seemed to have delved into. As far as he was concerned, sending Lauren to wait on Carina was a stroke of pure genius - he could gain pleasure from both the women irritating the other. In no way did he assume that he had effectively made his life far more difficult by introducing to Carina someone who had far more in common with the Queen than he could ever comprehend.

"...You think she's fragile? Oh, you don't know her, Carina. I think she's far from fragile. She's soft-spoken, perhaps a little on the quiet side-- but fragile? Not at all, no. Even if my evidence for such a statement is mostly reliant on our romantic entanglements in the bedroom," he hummed again, the smugness unsubtle as he rested his chin in his hand, leaning in a tad closer to make up the space between them a little. "Speaking of which, tonight we'll embark on it ourselves; for procreation purposes, rather than pleasure, of course. You aren't the person I'd turn to if I was seeking a night of thrills: you're an utter bore, Carina"

Her eyebrow merely raised at his pretend forgetfulness, continuing on with her breakfast before any comment that came from his mouth could convince her she was no longer hungry. They were on the topic of one of his lovers, after all, Carina doubted it would take long for him to turn his comments from cruel to crude.

"I got along so well with her that I was even hoping that you would allow her to stay with me. She was rather fun to play with this morning. I'm sure we'll become the best of friends during my time in the palace - not that it will be a long one, if you have anything to do with it." Carina mused, lowering her cutlery to take a sip of her tea. Luckily, nothing poisoned.

Carina enjoyed his oblivious nature to just how well she and Lauren would in fact get along. She would laugh and rub it in his face if she could, but she couldn't. The long game would be needed, rather than the quick win. Although it would be simply be a delicious topping to have on her breakfast to see that smug gleam to his eye disappear with horror. Perhaps she could still watch that, with Lauren holding a cord around his throat as he choked. Now that was a delightful daydream she would have to indulge in later.

"On the quiet side? My my, Sven... from all your boasting I would have thought you would have at least made the girl scream a little in the bedroom. But I won't hold it against you. Perhaps I should actually converse with your harem of whores - see what methods they use to give them the pleasure you obviously do not bring them." Carina placed her cutlery to one side on her plate, a polite custom in Eira at least - she didn't know what the savages in Ignis did. Her appetite ruined by his words, considering she almost choked on her last bite of toast at his announcement.

She hadn't expected him to want to begin so soon, having hoped he would continue his celebrations with the bitch Natalia for a few extra days, including the coronation and funeral of his parents.

Having her tea refilled, Carina refused to allow his comments to rile her. Instead she sat back casually in her chair, tea cup delicately held and a patronising smile on lips. "Oh my dear husband, I doubt you'd be able to provide me any of that pleasure you speak about even if you tried. But that's alright, perhaps I'll find one of your Ignisi men to show me how things are done in your miserable kingdom. May as well try the delicacies while I'm here for the remainder of my life."

Having Carina taunt him over his abilities in the bedroom might have irritated him under other circumstances, but he couldn't find himself able to grow annoyed by it when he was still riding the high of everything he had enjoyed in the night, from news of his parents' deaths, killing Carina's brother and then spending time with Natalia until the early hours. How could he allow himself to be taking in by such an obvious attempt to get under his skin and irritate him with taunts? Taunts that he knew were simply and utterly incorrect. Carina had no valid evidence to base such assertions on, and thus, he didn't rile to the attack.

Being a good lover was just another string to his bow and allowing Carina to ridicule and belittle that when she had nothing to base it on was laughable in his eyes. He understood the desire she had to break him (he shared the same desire for her, after all) but he liked to think that she could at least wait until she had slept with him before throwing around insults about his performance. At least then there would be some weight behind the words.

A light laugh eventually escaped him the more he thought about the effort she was making to anger and upset him, rolling his eyes at it in complete amusement. He chose to let silence reign between them for a moment as he slowly buttered a piece of toast, almost deliberate in how agonisingly long he left the silence draw out for.

"And tell me, dear wife. Do you believe you'd be honouring the memory of your brother, a man that fought to the end of his life for you to be saved from the clutches of Ignis, if you slept about with Ignisi men? He knew he risked death as a result of your harebrained scheme, my love. I'm sure that you indulging in the delights the men in this kingdom have to offer would make him turn in his grave - but you know best, I'm sure," he drawled slowly as he let his blue eyes flicker over to her to take in the reaction to his remarks, knowing that she would either lose all composure or manage to hold back the urge to rip into him.

"...Ah well, perhaps you don't know best or your brother would still be alive and breathing. But let's not go down that path. I'm rather tired and I don't wish to get into an argument. It might surprise you, but I don't want to bicker constantly with you. If only because your voice irritates me; I do detest the accent of the Eirian people."

It was in that moment that Carina wished that she had sat closer to her new husband. Her hand itched to strike across his face and the only thing that showed of that desire was the twitch of her right hand as it held tightly onto the arm of her chair. Her other hand held firmly onto the cup of tea, knuckles showing white as she maintained her composure to the best of her ability. Slowly, the cup was lowered to the table but her eyes remained on his as her heart thudded painfully in her chest.

Her right hand continued to clench into a fist and then relax, repeating this motion for a moment as she collected her thoughts and arranged the words she wished to say in her head. Once more, the death of her brother was flung in her direction and pierced her skin better than any dagger or arrowhead could.

Releasing a long breath, Carina forced herself to stay in her seat despite wanting to stand and leave the table. Even physically removing herself would feel like a win for Sven, and she could not allow that to happen.

"I didn't know that honour was something that was upheld in Ignis, dear husband. Not after you allowed your own mother and father to be murdered by the hands of your enemy. Not when you could have chosen to stop it but allowed your own greed for the crown to blind you. What sort of coward allows the peasantry of his enemy to do the dirty work for him? Only to come sweeping in at the last minute to claim the victory and deal the final blow. As I said before, like father like son."

Her words, spoken softly without a raised tone or a hint of a higher pitch, held an iciness to them that Carina herself didn't even realise she had. She supposed the Ignisi bastard before her just unlocked a whole new side to her that she had yet to discover.

"But as you said, let us not go down that path. And on second thought, you're quite right - perhaps it's not the best idea to sleep with a bunch of Ignisi men. They would only serve to disappoint. Fucking one of you will be bad enough... but I'll be sure to imagine an Eirian lover of mine instead." Carina smiled kindly, trying not to focus on how sick she felt regarding his words. She would have never considered taking an Ignisi lover in the first place, exactly for his words alone. But hearing them out loud was another matter.

Looking away from him, her fingers began to drum impatiently against the arm of the chair, "Now, may we leave? I'm sure you're just as impatient to get this over with as I am." The sooner her brother's burial was done, the sooner she could get away from Sven.

If Sven could hit below the belt, then Carina proved that she could hit lower. Of course, on the surface of it, throwing the death of someone's brother in their face and not jsut implying but directly stating that they were to blame for it was perhaps a great deal worse than being compared to your father. But not when it came to Sven's father. The man had been a drunken, debauched buffoon who had never truly taken advantage of his position of power to be the ruler the kingdom needed. He was a failure in Sven's eyes for that reason and that reason alone, so to be compared to him, to be viciously reminded that his father's blood ran through his own veins, was the worst insult that could ever be uttered to the young King.

That was what hurt and enraged him the most, similarly trying to fight back the urge to explode and brush aside the pain in his chest even as that darkness seemed to swell and grow within him. There was nothing more he wanted than to reprimand Carina for her unwelcome comparisons and horrid remarks but he didn't - he wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of knowing how deeply her words had affected him, just like how she refused to show the pain and outrage on her own expression to stop the sadistic King deriving some enjoyment from it.

"You're free to imagine whomever you desire the most during our intimacy, Carina; do you really think knowing my Queen is thinking of another during that romantic moment is going to upset me? To outrage me? I assure you, it doesn't. I'll certainly be imagining someone else during it; maybe our mutual acquaintance, Lauren?" He proposed with a simple smile, though the glint that arrived in his eye was less than subtle. It was fate that in that moment, just as her name was spoken, Lauren had made an appearance to help clear the plates from the table, doing so with a professionalism that was second nature to her at this point.

Rather than let her continue to do her job, Sven raised a hand to prevent her from leaving after the other servants. With a growing grin, he gestured her close and took her hand in his own, entangling their fingers not in a sign of intimacy but of possessiveness and ownership.

"Lauren ought to accompany us to Eira, don't you think, wife? I think you should take along a maid and there's nobody better suited to the job than Lauren. Besides, if I get bored in your dreadful kingdom, during this little burial you insist on undertaking, then it'll be nice for me to be in the presence of someone actually capable of entertaining me - Thorin aside. Speaking of, he'll alert us when he's finished loading the carriage so do be patient, Carina. Impatience really is an unattractive trait. If I can wait a lifetime to have this throne, then you can spare a few minutes."

"It should. If you are as good as you say you are, as sadistic and disgusting as I know you to be, I would have thought you would have taken some pleasure in trying to make me think of you and only you. But perhaps you are weaker than I thought you to be." Carina retorted casually, eyebrow raising, "Not as ambitious and just as pathetic as I have learned you are."

Her eyes moved to Lauren lazily, not allowing anything to be given away regarding their blossoming, ally relationship. Carina wouldn't call it friendship, and wondered if she would ever call the other girl a friend, but for now... ally would do. And she hoped her ally remembered what the Queen said about not taking anything she said or did to heart. They had an act to put on.

Lips pulled into a smirk at his fingers entwining with Lauren's, laughter spilling out at the intimate gesture. She knew it was anything but affectionate, merely an act of possessiveness, to prove that the girl was under his control and not Carina's. "I hope you're not trying to make me jealous of your little kitchen slut, my dear husband. I would actually have to care somewhat about you in order to feel jealous about your divided attentions." She allowed her gaze to roll over Lauren for a moment, head tilting to the side as if considering if she had anything to be jealous about. Another chuckle suggested she didn't believe she did.

"Actually no, I wouldn't. There is no need for her to join. What would I need her for?" Carina questioned, arguing against his offer to bring the maid with her. The Queen allowed her gaze to bore into the young girl at his side, hoping that her fight against bringing Lauren would actually allow the girl to come. If she agreed, she doubted Sven would follow through. Although if he did decide to leave Lauren behind, at least she would be spared his company. Especially now that Carina knew of the girl's hatred for the King. "Have some respect, would you, my love? We're going to a burial, not a brothel so you can keep your whores in the castle instead of our carriage."

Gritting her teeth at his words, Carina flung her gaze away from them both as the main doors opened once more. Her eyes narrowed at the abrupt entrance of Sven's bodyguard, hands lowering to her lap to clutch tightly together.

Thorin surveyed the room with a quirked eyebrow of interest, but fought to keep the grin off his face as he bowed low to the royals. "Your Majesty, everything is ready and prepared for your visit to Eira. Your carriage is prepared and a cart will follow behind with the traitor's body. A coffin couldn't be found at such short notice but we managed to find a wooden box." His eyes darted to the Queen before returning to Sven, glimmer shimmering, "Whenever you're ready..."

She had been warned in advance that she would have to endure being on the end of Carina's cruelty and disregard in order to evade the suspicion that would inevitably fall upon them if they were seen to be close... but that didn't mean that Lauren was entirely capable of brushing away the insult that easily. She might know that the other didn't mean it, that it was just the sort of insult that Sven was expecting his wife to make regarding one of his lovers, but it rang true far too loudly for her liking.

She was determined to do whatever she could to get close to Sven, to be in a position where she could be witness to his innermost thoughts and feelings to take advantage of them, but the method she had to rely upon to get close to him never failed to disgust her. As necessary as it was, she couldn't help but feel like, perhaps, Carina had hit the nail on the head with her remark.

It was why it took Lauren a few seconds to react to it and to Sven's hand-holding - to the latter, she willingly let her fingers entwine further with his, and to the former, she scoffed under her breath and offered up a roll of her eyes. It was subtle but purposely designed for Sven to see, to make him feel as though the two women shared a mutual dislike of one another. And from the grin that spread on his face, one of annoying self-satisfaction, then clearly it had worked.

"Oh no. No, Lauren must accompany us on the journey, Carina. For no other reason than I'll take great amusement in the fact that the memory of your brother's burial will be somewhat soured by having her present too. So do stop throwing around petulant insults; she's coming and that's final," remarked the King as he stood from the chair calmly at Thorin's words, offering the guard an appreciate smile for his efforts - particularly at the mention of the wooden box. It was hardly an appropriate place for Carina's brother to rest in, especially not when he had been of royal, noble blood, but it was only what he deserved for his treachery... and for being an Eirian.

Though it pained her to do so, Lauren made sure to cast Thorin a quick glance, locking her eyes on his for the briefest of moments before lowering her head once more as she passed by on the way out to the carriage. It was abundantly clear to her that Thorin wasn't too dissimilar to Sven and so having to possibly win his attention and grow close to him was just another headache she didn't want to deal with; more disgust ready to swirl around inside her. But she had already promised herself that she would do whatever she could to avenge her island. Winning the attention and affections of a guard like Thorin might cause her discomfort now, but it would be worth it in the long run.

"I would like to get this over and done with some time today, Carina. I have more important things to do than standing in the snow watching that traitor get buried," continued Sven as he paused by the doorway, seemingly perfectly oblivious to Lauren's newest plan. He could have a few lovers of his own, sure, but for Lauren to show an interest in another man undermined the ownership he felt he had over her. Especially if that other man was his best friend. Fortunately, he remained unaware and instead had his attention focused on Carina, a bored look crossing his face. "...I don't wish to have to drag you along so hurry up before I resort to such measures, hm?"

Thorin was mildly surprised at the young woman meeting his gaze before lowering her head, but within that surprise a spark of curiosity was lit. He tended to avoid his friend's lovers, not one for the sloppy seconds that they would be. But for this maid to dare to look at him, make eye contact, while holding the hand of his king and so clearly submissive to his ownership intrigued him briefly. He would tell himself it was because he had to make sure that the girl was loyal to his friend, as he knew how Sven got when his toys were shared without his permission. However there was just something about her eyes, as dark as they were and framed with thick lashes.

His eyes followed her as she slipped past him, enjoying how her body moved even beneath her servant clothes. His lips pulled into a faint smirk as he even went as far to take a step or two back to be able to stick his head out the door, eyes still roaming over her body. They lingered on her hips as they swayed beneath the clothes, soon having to focus back on the King and Queen still inside the breakfast room before his excitement became too noticeable. As the saying goes, the punishment for hunting the king's deer was death. Even Thorin wasn't sure if his friend would be willing to share the young maid.

Carina glared in Sven's direction, "It would do you good to stop talking about my brother in such a way, husband." She warned, uncaring to the fact that there wasn't much she could do in the way of following through with her threats these days. Her magic was locked away within her because of the ugly bracelet on her wrist, the hope of her getting her hands on a weapon of any kind was nonexistent... but Carina would threaten away regardless, for the believe that one day she would be able to follow through.

Her glare switched to Thorin at his snort of laughter, but the guard wasn't even looking in her direction, instead keeping his eyes on his king. A muscle in her jaw jumped as she stood, tucking the chair in after her. Her blood was boiling at the fact her brother was in a mere wooden box. Hardly fitting for a man of his station. Perhaps it was true that no coffins could be found at short notice - but she had no doubt in her mind that ones were made immediately for the deceased drunkard of a king and bitch of a queen.

"Perhaps I should resort to a change in our deal, considering you're hardly going out of your way to make this a proper burial for my brother." Carina drawled as she approached, brushing past Thorin who merely raised an eyebrow. She stood in front of Sven, meeting his gaze, "Two children instead of three for the pitiful excuse of a coffin your lackey here has come up with. Or maybe even just the one... and you can work your way up to a spare if you're a good boy." Carina cooed mockingly, reaching up to press a hand against his cheek patronisingly before a smirk appeared and she patted his cheek before lowering her hand again.

She knew she was not in a position to change the terms of their agreement, nor to withhold his desires from him. Let alone taunt him with 'rewards' for good behaviour. But it amused her, knowing how much it could potentially irk him and earn her a reaction.

Last edited:
To be patronisingly taunted by Carina under any circumstances would have enraged the young King. In his eyes, she had no right to speak to him in such a manner when she was in a position of weakness, not having access to her abilities... and she certainly shouldn't be able to have the confidence to challenge him when he felt he had done anything to prove what a threat he was. He had literally murdered her brother before her eyes, and even that wasn't enough to win her obedience?

The fact she had chosen to taunt him and threaten to alter their earlier agreement in front of Thorin made everything ten times worse. Being challenged would annoy him anyway, but to be challenged in front of Thorin and a servant or two as they arrived to clean the table wasn't just infuriating; it was unacceptable.

He didn't want to hurt Carina. He despised her for a plethora of reasons and wouldn't have hesitated to deal her the same fate as her brother if it wasn't for the fact he needed her. If she had nothing to offer him in the way of heirs, he knew himself that he probably would have killed her already, to save himself the headache she consistently caused him. Fortunately for her, he couldn't allow himself to lose his temper in that way, not when doing so would lose him the chance to have heirs that would consolidate the reach of his power over both kingdoms. He needed Carina; a fact he found himself grimacing petulantly over.

That didn't mean he couldn't reprimand her whatsoever, unable to stop himself from grabbing her arm and, in one swift move, forcing it behind her back and using that to be able to push her up against the wall. It was hardly gentle, but compared to the urge he had to reach for Thorin's sword and end Carina's life there and then, pinning her against the wall and threateningly sneering down at her really wasn't the worst thing she could have been forced to endure.

"See, I don't really care about your brother and his eternal resting place, Carina - but if Thorin failed to find a coffin for him in the short time he had to search, then I'm sure that the reason for that is that there simply isn't one. Had you given him more time, we could have found something. Alas, you gave us very little time to seek something out and prepare something you deem appropriate enough - so stop whining about it. Cut down the amount of children you're willing to bear for me, go ahead. But there'll be repercussions for it; you can't break a verbal contract with me and think I won't deal you consequences for doing so, my love," he murmured, his voice low and relatively calm - though the clenched jaw and the glint in his eyes indicated the anger that raged beneath the surface. An anger that could quite easily have resulted in an impromptu expulsion of flames - as in control of the element as he was, fire did tend to become uncontrollable in the King's fits of anger. It was a miracle that he managed to contain it as well as he did, taking a little pride in the fact he hadn't set Carina on fire when it could have easily occurred.

"...Now apologise to Thorin. I don't think he appreciates being called a lackey when he is, in actuality, a dear friend and a superb ally of mine. Once you suitably apologise, we can head off to Eira and bury your brother in that lovely wooden box Thorin found for him."