Playing with Fire

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Carina had been expecting a cruel response to her words, but the physicality and the pain that came with what she got wasn't something she was prepared for. She knew she would have to expect everything when it came to Sven, from the taunts to the flames he would undoubtedly use against her one day. She was mildly confident that he would never hurt her too severely, the only reason being that it could potentially damage any chance he had at actually getting the heirs he desired - and to be clear, it's not like it would damage the agreement they had arranged since Carina was pretty much stuck to that... but damage her body. Something too stressful or an injury too great could be the difference between him getting what he wanted.

Yet with his acts of violence, she couldn't help but feel a seed of fear. Not for herself and her own life, but for the children he so craved. How could she ever be sure that he wouldn't pin her up against the wall like this when she carried his child? Would the desire to physically punish her become too much for his want to protect his own blood? Carina couldn't tell with the new Ignisi King. There was no doubt to her that he would care for his child, but she was just a body - a host to fill with his children.

Staying still as he pressed her into the wall, she didn't wish to struggle and provide him with the satisfaction of knowing he was stronger than her. But even just shifting her feet to try and elevate some of the pressure on her arm caused her to squeak softly, eyes squeezing shut against the tears of pain which came from the tight pinching on her arm. Her head was turned in the direction of his guard, pressed hard into the stone. Taking in deep breaths through her nose, Carina opened her eyes again, her sight slightly blurry from the tears that were brimming. But her eyes were hard, coldly furious at being manhandled in such a way despite having expected nothing less. They landed on Thorin, who had just finished waving the servants out of the room despite them not finishing cleaning up the breakfast table - they had heard and seen their King's reaction, and seemed more than eager to escape but their expressions had not changed from the neutral looks they had before.

Her own jaw tightened as Thorin's head turned for their eyes to meet, a smirk pulling at the guard's lip and head even tilting to tauntingly ask: what are you waiting for?

"You would think you would have learned by now that I don't care what you do to me, little king. You've taken everything away from me, I've not reason to be afraid of you and what you could ever possibly do." She murmured back, trying to look at Sven from over the corner of her eye, "I would have also thought you would have heeded my advice and perhaps thought to avoid any physical reprimands. Stress on the body doesn't make it a very hospitable environment for our little prince or princess."

Licking her lips, she winced as she attempted to straighten up, grimacing as she raised her other arm to brace against the wall beside her face. "As for your guard, he is not a friend or ally to me. He's just like Lauren - just another Ignisi lackey willing to kiss your feet and do whatever it takes to get on your good side."

Thorin chuckled, moving to lean his side against the wall with his arms crossed. But he didn't speak, not wanting to interrupt the moment between the two royals - it wasn't his place to get involved. As much as he would like to suggest to his friend and king that it would be easy enough to delay the burial until the queen behaved herself.

It was much to his surprise - and his dismay - that the queen instead gritted her teeth and met his gaze again. "I apologise, Thorin, for suggesting that the work you have done this morning was inadequate." She forced out, voice tight and eyes lowering half-way through the apology.

The small yelp she gave out in pain was more than enough to cause a sadistic smirk to carve itself across Sven's features, his eyes now aflame in amusement as he took in the other's pathetic state. He was stronger than she was and, when she had no powers to be able to threaten him with in return, there was little else she could do other than give in to the physicality, particularly when it was useless fighting against it and doing so would simply and inevitably allow Sven to burst into laughter at the struggle.

The fact she proceeded to apologise was the icing on the cake, the young King unable to disguise the chuckle that slipped past his lips; a sound that failed to hold any real warmth to it. In contrast to the flames that he could will at his command, and diametrically opposed to the fiery landscape of Ignis itself, Sven tended to be a cold person, harbouring an iciness to his personality that, now he was allowing his true traits to show, could unnerve most people. As the maids that hurriedly made their leave from the dining room served to prove. The chuckle was emblematic of that, sounding coldly and eerily in the near-silent hall.

"Well, that wasn't too difficult for you now, was it?" He cooed condescendingly as he pulled his hand away to relieve the other's arm from the painful position it had been forced in, though he refused to step away from her, continuing to leer threateningly over her from the extra few inches of height he possessed.

With a tilt of his head, he reached his hand forward again to pat her cheek, opting to offer her a dose of the patronising attitude she had shown him. Was it childish to replicate her behaviour? Of course, but if it had angered him so much, he had no doubt that it would anger Carina to be on the receiving end of it too.

"There, there. Be a good girl now, would you? I would awfully hate to have to reprimand you like this again if you continue to misbehave, Carina. If you're a good girl, we might be able to coexist in this castle, in this kingdom, without too much trouble. Doesn't that sound nice?" He hummed as he finally stepped back away from her, sharing a quick grin with Thorin as he turned back towards his friend. "Right, let's get on this carriage then, I can't put it off any longer."

Pulling herself away from the wall, her body went tense the moment her back bumped into his front. She turned quickly, hating the tight space that he had left purposefully between them. She had expected him to step away upon releasing her arm, but instead he remained to intimidate. Carina pressed herself against the wall, attempting to broaden the gap between them but to no avail. Not because she was scared, but because she couldn't bear to be so near to him. He revolted her, made her stomach turn every time he even allowed his eyes to rest on her. Let alone when he touched her. Even his gentle caresses were mocking, nothing about him was remotely loving or kind.

At that thought, Carina felt guilt for their non-existent children. She had made this deal to have her brother buried and to prolong her life for a few months - years, maybe, if she was lucky - yet it was in that moment she wondered if she had made the right choice. She could never imagine him loving their children. Even if she knew of his desires to be a good father, she would doubt. But without that knowledge, Carina feared that they would live in cruelty... and worse still, become as cruel as their father.

The pat on her cheek drew Carina from her thoughts and her first instinct was to raise her hand to push his arm away from her, not gently either. Her body trembled lightly with the anger she continued to bottle up within herself, only shown through the fury that burned away in her eyes as she stared right up at him.

Instead of satisfying him with a response, she pulled herself away from the wall and stormed away, chin up and shoulders back, to find Lauren and the carriage.

Thorin looked on as the queen strode away, the smirk of amusement from before still flickering on his lips. "Are you both going to be like this on the way? Because if so I think I may just need to bring some snacks to indulge upon while watching the show." He drawled, stepping forward to stand just a step behind Sven as Carina turned a corner to head for the main doors.

"Do you really think you're going to hold off killing her before the first is born?"

The lack of a response was disappointing, having anticipated another war of words with his new wife, but he wasn't too irked by it. As difficult as her nonchalance often was to deal with, he had more than enough to be amused about to let it be too badly affected by the deliberate lack of a reply to his patronising, snarky tone. Hearing her yelp in pain and watching her lower herself to apologise to his friend would amuse him endlessly whenever he called upon the memory, and doing so now helped him overlook the disappointing lack of a response to his following statements.

"Do you really think that I could kill her before I get a child from her? Because I'd like to think that I possess more control than that, Thorin. She's taunted me countless times about me being my father's son and that is the worst insult I think I could be witness to. I haven't killed her yet, despite hearing that; I think I can manage to restrain myself, hm? I hope I can, at least. I make no promises because-- well, she possesses a marvellous gift in being able to get under my skin. She's a thorn in my side I can't quite pull out so who knows how she'll succeed in annoying me in the future. All I can do is try not to murder her, but that's... I admit it's not going to be an easy task."

With that, he offered his friend a thin-lipped smile and made his way out to the carriage, though Thorin's words remained, echoing in his mind the more he contemplated them. As irritating and as irksome as Carina was, as much as he desired to send her into a shallow grave alongside her detestable brother, he couldn't; there was no way he could even allow himself to think about badly injuring her, let alone letting her die. As horrible as it was to admit, he knew he had a duty to look out for her and even go as far as to protect her from serious harm - if he wanted a healthy child, then he needed the mother safe, and obviously alive.

While Carina had a use to him, she had to remain safe and alive. Pushing her against the wall now was something he didn't have to worry too much about, but should she become pregnant, then such an action would be unthinkable. Trying to avoid hurting her altogether now would stand him in good stead when she did eventually carry his child.

"...It shouldn't take too long to reach your kingdom," he murmured as he climbed up into the royal carriage, the crimson red of the velvet seating bringing a smile to his face - that, and the sight of Lauren seated beside Carina, remaining just as unaware of their plotting against him as he was of Thorin's newfound interest in one of his lovers. "I must say I'm looking forward to it, actually; I never was able to truly take in the devastation Eira suffered during the war. I can at least soak it all in now, enjoy the sight of the ruinous state its in~"

Carina had managed to murmur an almost inaudible apology to Lauren as she climbed into the carriage, speaking as quietly as possible for the fear of anyone hearing her. Despite the fact that she had left Sven and Thorin behind, and the driver was tending to the horses. She longed to speak to the girl privately, even finding herself desperate to do so before the night came and she was expected in Sven's chambers. But she supposed she would at least have a chance to talk to her before the time came, since she would need to shower and change in her own room first. That brought some comfort, despite only knowing the maid for less than a handful of hours.

When the two men arrived, she turned her face away to look out the window of the carriage, tight-lipped and neutral expression back in place. Her refusal to speak was evident. She made a show of yanking some of her cloak away from Lauren, still not looking at any of them but her brow furrowing in displeasure and disgust.

Her silence lasted for the entire trip, eyes firmly set on their surroundings as ash and volcanic atmosphere changed into what was once Eira. It should have been obvious to tell when they were entering her kingdom, but instead Carina couldn't be confident where they boundaries were anymore.

What was once soft grey and pure white was covered in choking dark ash and suffocating black. Scorch marks marred the ground and the ice that once lingered was now a putrid brown and yellow as the snow and ice had melted and the grass beneath it dead from the heat. As they got closer to the town, she forced herself to look up to the buildings as the carriage circled the outskirts. Her fingers knotted into her cloak at the sight of charred bodies that still laid on the grey stones of the bridge leading into the town, the people obviously attempting to flee into the apparent safety of the city walls but not making it that far. Smoke still rose from within those walls, and Carina had to wonder just how long the fires of Ignis burned on for. The marks of such flames apparent on the town walls and the buildings within them.

It was the castle that had Carina leaning against the carriage sides, hand raising to grip onto the edge of the empty panel that allowed her to see. It's magnificent glass was smashed to pieces, jagged edges clear to see as they glinted in the weak sun - dull and pathetic. A flash of emotion crossed her face, but it was gone too quick for it to be deciphered.

Eventually the carriage came to a halt, jolting slightly and Carina was out immediately - not waiting to listen any of Sven's smart comments.

She was followed by Thorin, who moved just behind her to reach the makeshift coffin and walk around to the other side. "At least it won't be so hard to break the surface with the lack of ice now. It'll be a quick job." He commented, loud enough for Sven to hear if he had been climbing out of the carriage.

Carina looked to the guard, teeth gritting as he simply grinned back, turning away to bark orders.

Soon the ground was broken and the shallow grave dug. Emmett's coffin was lowered and Carina moved to kneel at the foot of it, uncaring the dirt that could stain her dress or the vulnerable position she was displaying. It shamed her that she could not follow the Eirian burial customs, but she was still able to whisper up a single prayer and quietly, softly, murmur an Eirian burial song that was typical for their fallen warriors, keeping the words inaudible as to not invoke another clever moment from her dear husband.

The journey into Eira might have provoked within Sven the same smug satisfaction he had felt during the war itself, when he had slaughtered the innocent citizens on the path to destruction to the castle of glass, but the same couldn't be said for Lauren. Sven had expected to see in the maid the same smugness he felt; the same sense of superiority that any righteous Ignisian citizen would experience within themselves at the sight of the neighbouring kingdom in such a state of disarray; a very real representation of Ignis' success.

He had no idea that she wasn't Ignisian, after all. He had no way of understanding that rather than the superiority and amusement he thought she would garner from the scenes of destruction that had reduced the beauty of Eira to a fallen kingdom of blood and ash, she instead felt disgust and a burning injustice that threatened to be expelled from her there and then. Never more had she wanted to wrap her hands around Sven's neck and watch the life leave his eyes, regardless of the consequences she would receive for doing so.

Watching as they travelled further into Eira was difficult for Lauren, particularly at the sight of the bodies that littered the streets the carriage descended down. She had to fight hard each and every night to rid images of Harenae's destruction from her mind; to try and fight against the memory of being in and amongst the impromptu and unjustified ambush, her screams of panic and fear lost within the cacophony of the dying islanders' crying out around her. Even if she couldn't expel such thoughts, she did try and use them to fire her up in her determination to avenge every last one of those that had died that day, to remind herself that however hopeless the task ahead appeared, she couldn't give in.

Seeing Eira's devastation for herself was an all-too familiar sight when compared to Harenae and so, better than anyone, she knew how Carina was feeling in that moment. She wanted to reach across and offer her some support, to stop her mind falling into the dark pit of despair it was all too capable of doing when having compartmentalised such distressing scenes, but when sitting in the presence of the two men who expected her to not just hate Carina but show the same delight in Eira's destruction as they did, she couldn't allow herself to show any sympathy. Not just now, anyway.

Instead, she had to force a smile to her face as she peered out the window and observed Eira's streets for herself, knowing that such a reaction had to be visible to avoid suspicion from Sven. She maintained that expression through the burial of Carina's brother, even when she held a sadness within her at the pitiful excuse of a funeral when the man, for his bravery, deserved a proper farewell.

"...Are you quite done yet?" Sven muttered rudely under his breath as he stood at the side of the scene, his hands absently producing faint sparks of fire to keep himself warm. Even though the kingdom had been burned by the flames of the Ignisi forces not too long ago, there was still a chill in the air that he despised - and he longed to return to the suffocating heat of Ignis as soon as was possible for him. "The boy's dead, Carina. He's not going to hold it against you if you spend a mere minute at his grave, mourning him. He's not going to judge you, so let's hurry on home, shall we?"

Thorin had too enjoyed his time during the battle that had taken place within Eira. Except his choice of weapon was a blade, after all, he was incapable of wielding flames being less than royalty. His eyes had lingered on every area of the devastated kingdom as they rode through, a smile of his own having been present as he revelled in the memories of his success, remembering the countless soldiers and peasantry he had cut through in order to play his part in the war.

Blood had been spilt, and he was grateful to have been able to play a part in it. His name would be written into history some way or another, either for his loyalty and position as the king's personal guard, or for the part he had in the destruction of Eira. He detested the pure white and crystal ice of the kingdom almost as much as Sven, having found the kingdom awfully patronising in the way they always seemed to be perfect with their glass kingdom and clean white snow.

He stood just behind Sven, a hand motioning for those they had brought along to begin shovelling soil back into the grave as Carina continued with whatever rituals the Eirians had. His own eyes darted down to the flames that sparked occasionally from his friend's hands, feeling a slither of jealous enter him at the warmth it inevitably brought the king during this pitiful little kingdom.

Thorin's eyes snapped back up at Sven's words, watching the back of his king's head before they turned to Carina for her reaction.

The young queen halted mid-sentence, words abruptly stopping so all that sounded was the harsh thuds of soil against wooden box. After a moment, she carried on. She did not move, nor hurry with her song. Not even in an attempt to irk Sven, but due to the tradition of needing to finishing the song that was believed released so many warriors from their duty to serve and protect their kingdom. She did not care about the faint touch of frost in the air, actually having missed it and had long lost her cloak in an attempt to feel more of it against her fair skin.

Eventually she leaned forward to press her lips against a patch of snow that still remained, hard but still frozen cold, that sat at the foot of the grave. Collecting her cloak, she stood and walked back to the group but instead of addressing Sven, she simply shoved her cloak into Lauren's arms. She then took hold of the girl's arm to pull her away, none too gently either. Her footsteps were quick, forcing Lauren to keep up alongside her until they reached the carriage.

All to ensure that any threat of her emotion spilling over was hidden, her ploy of roughly pulling Lauren along with her to the carriage meaning to appear as her keenness to escape. Which was true, lies were better when they were half-true. In reality, she went for Lauren as she imagined the maid would understand how Carina was feeling and her mere presence alone for even a few seconds would help Carina calm her breathing and steel the icy walls around her heart once more.

Lauren did her best to prevent stumbling and making a fool of herself as she was dragged along to the carriage, knowing that tripping over might do a little irreparable damage to the plan to seduce Thorin. She wanted to be a mystery to him, one he was incapable of straying away from and one he found himself irresistibly drawn to despite being aware of the consequences that would ensure. Falling over face-first into the ground might ruin that air of mystery she was eager to shroud herself in, thus, however difficult it was for her, she did her best to balance herself even when she was pulled along with such fierce determination.

She was aware that the ferocity Carina had displayed was merely that; a display for the benefit of evading suspicion and providing Sven with what he expected: a dislike of any Ignisian, especially one of his lovers. It was why she declined to feel anything other than sympathy for the Queen, allowing everything from the harsh words from earlier to the harsh, unwelcome pull towards the carriage to disappear from her mind the moment they were left alone in the vehicle.

She expected Sven to unceremoniously interrupt them before they even had a chance to exchange words, before she could offer even a crumb of support that she had promised Carina she would to save her from herself. Yet, that interruption didn't arrive, at least not as soon as Lauren expected it to. In fact, having been anticipating his unwelcome presence, she leaned over in the carriage to peer out the window. For whatever reason, Sven, despite wanting to make his exit from the kingdom as soon as was humanly possible, remained stood outside in the chill he detested. The reason became clear to the girl the moment she saw the flicker of a flame that lit the cigarette in the King's hand, knowing from that alone that she and Carina were at least spared a few minutes in each other's company, without interruption.

Despite that, she wisely chose to keep her voice low just to be on the safe side, glancing to her side at the Queen. She had a lot she wanted to get off her chest, ranging from words of sympathy to those of fierce determination, the plans to reduce Sven to the ruins he had helped to create no doubt consolidated by witnessing the devastation of Eira for herself.

But nothing came out for the first minute, unable to think of anything to say when Carina looked as emotionally wrought as she did, even if it was only for a minute as she rebuilt those walls back around herself.

"...You'll get through this, Carina. It'll be hard but you'll manage, I promise," she eventually offered up as she kept an eye outside, ensuring every now and then that they still had time to talk openly like this without fear of repercussion. "...I... I'm sorry for having to bury your brother like this, he deserved better. But you'll honour his memory when you kill that bastard. We both have reasons to see him dead. Use this to... motivate you. Not that you needed more motivation but-- it helps to cope with the memories that come to you if you use them for good, rather than... dwell on them and let them upset you. It's-- what I do when I think of Harenae and its demise; I use that to keep me going, a reminder of why I'm in Ignis; why I'm with him."

Carina went still as Lauren began to speak, eyes darting to the windows as if expecting Thorin or Sven to appear at any moment. But when they didn't, and the sounds of footsteps didn't greet her, she tentatively looked across to the maid.

The moment they arrived in Eira, the ice princess had been too wrapped up in the destruction of her beloved kingdom to even consider what the scenes may have triggered for Lauren. Not that she could have offered any support to the young girl since they were supposed to hate each other. But the fiery murder of her icy kingdom had completely consumed Carina to a point where she hadn't been able to focus on anything else, or anyone else, until the abrupt halting of the carriage had jolted her from her thoughts.

But now she could begin to understand what Lauren must have lived through, since they had both lived through similar scenarios - except at least Lauren was not being used as a breeding mare for heirs. But she supposed sleeping with the cruel bastard of a king, seemingly for no apparent reason, was a hateful experience as her own. Carina, at that moment, realised how difficult it must have been for Lauren to see the charred, scorched and broken remains of Eira and how similiar it must have all been to the destruction of Harenae. And both girls were forced to hide the true devastation they both felt: one to avoid providing her husband any satisfaction, and the other to maintain her cover as a loyal Ignisi.

A part of Carina wondered why Lauren hadn't fled to Eira, but then considered the vastly different climates. It would have been hard to adjust, but then also Ignis had been closer to the island. Not to mention, with the revenge that Lauren clearly sought to have, infiltrating the palace of the man she wished to kill was better than anything else. Even if it did mean having to sleep with him.

Carina allowed herself to look at Lauren, tears that once brimmed in her eyes had fallen to roll down cheeks which were rosy from first the heat of Ignis and then the slight chill of Eira. She didn't trust herself to speak in that moment, due to the lump in her throat brought on by the tears. But she reached out to take Lauren's hand, holding onto it firmly and squeezing lightly to convey her thanks. She remained holding onto Lauren's hand, other hand raising to wipe away the tears that had escaped before Thorin or Sven appeared. She swallowed thickly a few times, attempting to dislodge the lump so she could speak to the maid in the short time that they had.

"Killing him won't come soon enough."

Thorin stepped forward as his friend lit the cigarette, eyes fixated on the shallow grave that was slowly being filled. He was slightly surprised that Sven hadn't stopped the burial to have the head removed in order to keep it, especially since he had already admitted to his plans to go back on his word to allowing Carina to stay alive to help raise their children. But he wasn't about to interrupt or question anything, especially not related to the queen anymore. It seemed he asked the wrong questions at times lately, and he didn't wish for Sven to think he was continuously questioning the judgement of his king.

"What was it like, inside that palace?" He then questioned, nodding his head in the direction of the broken glass castle. He had not been able to see the insides of it, having been too busy revelling in the capture of the village and then eventually rounding up his segment of the Ignisi army. Lots had to be done after the victory, including the rounding up of the Eirian people who were forced to walk the journey back to Ignis.

He wasn't sure what was going through his friend's mind at that moment, sometimes finding Sven as unpredictable as the next person despite their close friendship. A moment ago he seemed eager to leave, and the next he was lighting a cigarette to stand and enjoy. Sometimes Thorin couldn't make sense of it.

As Lauren remained seated in the carriage alongside the Queen, choosing to remain silent but continuing to show her support by holding her hand and simply being present in that moment, Sven proceeded to light his cigarette and lean against a nearby tree that had miraculously survived the devastation others around had suffered. It was charred and bore the marks of the war, gunshots and the cuts from battling swords splintering its bark badly, but it remained standing even amongst the rest of the chaos, as though it was itself a metaphor for Carina herself as one of the last remaining Eirians to have survived the war.

The poetry of it was lost on Sven as he absently leaned against the tree for support, his eyes drifting from the sight of the pathetic burial scene to the general ruinous situation of Eira itself. Though he gathered a great sense of enjoyment from it all, that smug smile now failed to show on his face which remained unreadable in its expressionless state. For several moments, Sven remained deadpanned and completely silent, the only noises escaping him being the inhalation and exhalation of smoke from his cigarette. It was a habit he heavily relied upon but had hidden from his parents - despite their debauched lifestyles, smoking apparently wasn't a vice they were supportive of.

Now they were dead, he was at least free to indulge in his habit without judgement - and when he was in a kingdom he despised, with an unwelcome chill in the air, he needed something to relax him. Particularly when Thorin was slightly grating on him. His best friend might not have communicated any of the confusion he felt regarding Sven's judgements, but the years they had known one another, spanning from their childhoods, meant that he didn't need to verbally confess the confusion - Sven only had to cast one look at his friend to realise that that feeling was present in him.

And to say it was unappreciated was a grave understatement, Sven fighting back the slight annoyance he felt and instead choosing to smoke in silence, his eyes proceeding to scour the scene before eventually settling on the broken castle.

"...It was as patronisingly ostentatious as you might expect it to be. The overall event was somewhat marred by the fact it was my father leading the attack, though; I couldn't entirely enjoy it all when he was reaping the rewards, but... it was an experience I'm not going to forget in a hurry, I suppose," he replied as he returned his eyes to the guard at his side, narrowing slightly as he determined whether to call him out on the confusion he clearly felt or whether to simply let it go without comment. He could understand why his decisions could be construed as uncharacteristic, and therefore confusing, but he trusted his friend not to worry too much; to instead place trust in him no matter what point of action he chose to follow.

And it was that that spurred him into calling Thorin out, doing so with remarkable calmness as he dropped the cigarette and stamped the lingering flame out with the sole of his boot.

"Has the cat got your tongue, Thorin? It's not like you to withhold how you feel; I value your honesty and transparency. It's a mark of our friendship. I'm honest with you and I expect that honesty in reply - even if I have to hear you doubt me and my actions. I don't see why you would, I've got everything under control, but-- spit it out, hm? You have adopted the unfortunate tendency to voice concern and doubt so don't stop yourself from doing so again, here and now. I'm rather used to it from you at this point."

Nodding to what his friend was saying, his eyes remained on the castle as he attempted to envision the victory that ultimately took place within its walls. It had been disappointing, to not be there alongside his friend and revel in the victory - even if it was tainted by his father and the dramatic performance he undoubtedly put on.

At the feeling of Sven's eyes on him, however, Thorin looked to the young king with a raised eyebrow greeting his narrowed gaze. He remained quiet, allowing Sven to continue through his thought process as Thorin attempted to figure out what his friend was thinking. He wasn't as intimidated by Sven's deathly quiet and calm persona as maybe others were, but that didn't mean he was completely immune to the king's looks and behaviours. Even he knew better than to anger his friend, and it seemed that his silence was obviously betraying the questions in his own head.

"There's nothing that I feel urgently needs to be discussed, Sven," Thorin shrugged, "I was just wondering why, despite your obvious displeasure at being here in the cold, you've decided to linger longer than necessary. Obviously I know you'll be taking pleasure in the destruction of a kingdom you've hated for your entire life... but I don't understand why you're still here when you've badgered the queen into hurrying up and she is now in the carriage. What's going through your head?" He question curiously, eyebrow falling and arms folding across his chest.

He sent a glance over his shoulder to the carriage before looking back to his king, "You could have told me you hated my honesty years ago, I would have shut up if that's what you prefer." He pointed out, "I still can, if you don't value my questions."

"I never said I dislike you being honest with me, Thorin. I appreciate it; yours is the only opinion I value. Do I find myself a little perturbed by you doubting me as of late? Of course - but I respect you enough to accept it. And I understand where that confusion is coming from. But I also have to admit that I find it rather amusing that even you, my best friend, can't figure out what thoughts are running through my head. It does make me feel slightly smug, even a little superior," he hummed in what appeared to be amusement - though when his eyes failed to light up in recognition of any joy, then how genuine was the amused tone to his voice?

He wasn't in the habit of putting on a facade around Thorin and never had done, not even when he showed a false presentation of himself to the world before his parents' death. With the guard, he had only ever been honest and genuine, their close bond that had formed as children being something sacred to him that he knew he wouldn't be able to extend and feel with anyone else.

Though even that didn't stop him from playing on the mystery he was often shrouded in. As determined as he was to now show his kingdom the type of person he always had been, there was always going to be times when he put on an act; to appear charming and suave to those that needed to see that side of him, whilst abandoning it in favour of the savagery and cruelty to those that had done wrong and needed punishing. Nobody would really get to see him be as he really was besides Thorin - and even that bond wasn't entirely safe from the King's act of shutting down and his innermost thoughts seeming unknowable.

Though, predictably, he didn't continue to keep Thorin in the dark. Most people would remain unaware what the King was thinking, purposely left from understanding him that well, but Sven would never deliberately keep his closest ally from suffering through that for too long.

"I wanted to smoke, that's all there really is to it, Thorin. There's nothing dastardly growing in my mind, no little ploys being created. I just wanted a cigarette and thought it best not to smoke in the carriage when I know for a fact it would result in my dear wife spitting venomous words in my direction for it. I stayed out here to smoke not because I spared a moment of consideration for her, but because I could do without the headache she would inevitably give me. That's all. It's nothing major. I just enjoy teasing you," he smiled as he allowed his stern expression to finally fade, making way for a genuine, light smile to reassure his friend that all was forgiven. He might be a little irritated by the potential for Thorin to continue questioning him down the line over more important matters, but he did value his opinion regardless.

"Now let's get going; I really do want to make a quick exit from here. I spared a few moments to feed my habit but enough's enough. The boy's buried, we have no reason to, as you say, linger longer than necessary."

"It's not doubt, Sven. I just like to make sure you've checked every possible outcome here. It's my job to overthink, considering if I don't it could end up with my neck on the line." Thorin answered coolly, hands moving to clasp behind his back. He watched his friend carefully and dared to take a step forward, "Are you sure you're telling me everything, Sven?"

Thorin knew he was lucky in the sense that he would always be clear in the knowledge of who Sven truly was. There was no need for a masquerade between the two friends and for that he was grateful for he knew he definitely wouldn't enjoy being the victim of some of the games and manipulation Sven participated in. He supposed that was one of the benefits of their friendship, and the length of that friendship.

Yet there were times it became frustrating when Sven decided to prolong the length of time in which Thorin wasn't sure what was going on with his friend. Sometimes he wanted to grab the king and have him stop with the little mystery he so enjoyed shrouding himself with. He wanted to tell him that it wasn't necessary, that it was him - Thorin - and it was completely unwarranted. However most of the time Thorin remained silent and allowed Sven to do what he wished, just letting it roll off his back like a duck in water. On this occasion, it was different. He didn't enjoy the neutral and placate expression that Sven showed.

Opening his mouth to repeat the question, all words died on his lips as Sven finally spoke again. Thorin rolled his eyes and shook his head, a small smirk appearing at his friend's antics. "If she is anything on the way home as she was on the ride here, I doubt she'll even acknowledge your very existence at this moment." He answered, his eyes drifting to the carriage.

"Of course, after you. I'll have the second carriage left behind to have the workers brought back to Ignis once they are finished with the burial." Thorin explained, motioning toward the royal carriage before escaping to explain to his men what would be happening.

Thorin was right, of course. As unpredictable as he often found Carina to be, the predictability of her dedication to simply blocking him out and ignoring him to the best of her ability was something the young King had quite easily discovered in their time together. And if that determination to appear nonchalant to his teases and neutral in his presence was predictable, then so too was the outrage that bubbled within Sven as a result.

He despised not being able to get the reaction he so desired from her - was it more peaceful for him not to handle her bickering and bitching at him? Sure, but he couldn't deny the amusement he constantly gathered when seeing her in such an irate state, snarling and snapping at him. It was the height of disrespect and worthy of punishment, but the enjoyment he derived from it almost overshadowed any urge he might have to punish her. At least, to some limit - he couldn't find himself able to laugh off her attempts at getting under his skin if comparisons to his father were made.

Despite knowing that he would at least be spared the headache of listening to her if she did predictably sit in stubborn silence, refusing to speak to him, he felt just a twinge of disappointment that that was so predictable when he was in the mood to engage in some childish bickering and see her anger level continually rise throughout it.

Though just because she might not engage with him didn't stop him from being the sole perpetrator of the taunting, that idea now fixed in place as he nodded briefly to Thorin in gratitude and made his way towards the carriage, sighing heavily once out of the cold and instead in the warmth and comfort of the royal carriage. He cast the two women opposite him a slight glance though, naturally, remained unaware of the discussions that had taken place between them in his absence. Instead, he simply shot them a smile, one unsubtle in its arrogance, and looked out the window to take in as much of Eira's destruction as he could; to burn the sight into his memory if he ever needed a reason to cheer himself up in the future.

"I must say that that was quite honestly the most pathetic funerals I think I've ever witnessed, Carina," he hummed, his eyes still focused outside though his smile irritatingly beginning to grow, knowing exactly what he was doing wasn't subtle but he couldn't care less about subtleties at the moment. He knew it was obvious that he was seeking a reaction from her so why try and hide it?

"Your brother, the Prince of Eira... reduced to being buried in a flimsy box in a rather random plot of land, no mourning onlookers, no outpouring of grief from his kingdom... Of course, that'd be impossible given they've all been reduced to ash at this point, but you get the point. It's a rather sad end for a once glorious young Prince - which means it's incredibly satisfying for me, I'm sure my enjoyment is no secret to you, my love."

At the approaching sound of footsteps, Carina released Lauren's hand despite her reluctance to do so. It had helped keep her grounded, helped her maintain her focus on what was really important. While the funeral for her brother was nothing alike to what Carina would have wanted to give her brother, she knew she had gained a small victory in the sense her brother had been buried at all. That feeling grew as she added the fact that he was buried in their home, in Eira. Perhaps not within the castle catacombs but at least within their snowy and icy kingdom. He was home when she could not be, when she still had more torture to go through. At least Emmett had been spared that, so perhaps that was how Carina should see it - that her brother had been spared countless years of torture.

Of seeing her swollen with Ignisi heirs. Because, facing the truth, Carina would have bargained for her brother to be kept alive and treated well in exchange for the heirs that Sven so desperately seemed to want. Perhaps, in a way, these future children would become his next biggest weakness.The next area to best manipulate him. Of course Carina would never harm her own children, but bargain and threaten. His abusive behaviour could, so Carina hoped, be curved and controlled if the potential creation of his children was harmed.

Carina was beginning to wonder if that was how they would begin to control her husband, her and Lauren. Through the use of sex and procreation. How ironic that a man who enjoyed the destruction of life, as laid out before them in Eira, so enjoyed the prospect of bringing in new through his marriage.

Nausea rolled in Carina's stomach as she thought about his words regarding later that evening. She wasn't sure why she was so surprised at him wanting to start immediately trying for his precious little heirs. Although she supposed he could do what he needed with her before dismissing her and summoning Natalia for the 'fun' he so wished. But Carina knew that the length of her life depended on how quickly she provided him his heirs. She was no fool, she doubted he would maintain his promise to keep her alive after she had given him what he wanted. So she needed to prolong the inevitable and keep herself from becoming pregnant until he became suspicious.

"You'll have to help me this evening, yes? Before I have to see him?" She asked Lauren before the footsteps got too close, "I will need to ask you a few things. Privately."

After that, she had turned away to face the view outside and focused on the sound of shovel moving soil. Her fingers twisted into the skirts of her dress as Sven clambered in the carriage, feeling his smug and arrogant smirk without even looking at him. It was suffocating. At his words, her hands spread to lay flat against her thighs, lips pursing delicately to release a long breath. The index finger on her right hand twitched, her whole being aching with the want to slap him across his face.

Say more. Please, go ahead and say more. Carina dared him within her mind, uncaring to how he would punish her if she did end up striking him. The pleasure of feeling her hand hitting skin would be the most satisfactory thing she would have experienced in years. Her ice may be bound within her thanks to the bracelet on her wrist, but she wasn't afraid to dirty her hands.

Thorin soon climbed into the carriage, looking with amusement among the three of them at the tense and cold silence that lingered. Shutting and locking the carriage door, the guard reached out to give the side of the carriage two firm taps so the driver knew it was time to leave.

It wasn't the outburst that the King might have been secretly hoping to provoke out of the woman, but seeing her strain to contain her rising temper was a sight to behold. It might not be the ferocity he had hoped to coax from her for his own amusement, but the faintest sign that she was displeased with him would have given him a thrill. Thus, the slight twitching of her finger, however slight and brief the motion was, made him grin in satisfaction. He was hardly in possession of the right to gloat when he was quick to rise to taunts from her and fly into a rage at the briefest of insults, but Sven also wasn't someone who cared that much about his own glaring hypocrisies.

He could derive pleasure from Carina's misfortune whilst also defending his right to be angry at her when she attempted the same taunts at his direction. He could easily admit to that hypocrisy, but like hell would he feel guilty about it or even admit that it was a bad thing. He saw himself as above Carina in all areas, despite them being from the same socioeconomic and royal background; he thought himself as her superior, so why would he even contemplate playing by the same rules?

He let the arrogant smile linger until it naturally faded away, settling down in the carriage for the journey back to the fiery landscape of Ignis, resigning himself to spending the duration of said journey in complete silence.

Carina was hardly in the mood to talk with him, not that she would want to even if she was in a cheerier state. He couldn't sit back and talk with Lauren when, really, she meant very little to him other than someone to be with when he wanted that sort of attention - other than that, he didn't care to try to get to know her, and if the urge ever did hit him, he certainly didn't want to enter a discussion in the carriage with his wife of all people present. That left Thorin, who he had no qualms in striking up a conversation with under any circumstances... but when he couldn't find anything to say, it was best not to say anything until he could, rather than endure any awkwardness that might follow if he tried to force the discussion.

It would be a good ten minutes before he glanced over to Carina, his head slightly tilted as if in deep thought - though it could have quite easily been a feigned expression. Thorin wasn't the only person that struggled to understand what went on in Sven's head, or why he acted the way he did, and he certainly wouldn't be the last. Whatever Sven was thinking would often remain in his own head, and even when he spoke, there was no guaranteeing any genuineness or truth to his words, especially not when, by nature, he was deceiving.

"...I attended your brother's funeral so I'd welcome your attendance at my parents' tomorrow morning; I'll have everything sorted by then, with Thorin's help, I imagine. Perhaps you could write a speech, Carina? It'll have to be sickeningly sweet, lay it all on really thick if you must. I certainly will. It won't help your reputation in my kingdom, of course - but I'll enjoy seeing you stood by their coffins, having to speak so kindly of them when I know you'll hate every word you utter. If I have to endure spouting bullshit about them, then so do you; I won't suffer that alone."

Carina was surprised that he allowed his taunting to end where it did, expecting a barrage of insults and cruel words to be directed at her in his carefully crafted way. It was one of the many things she had already begun to hate about Sven in the short time that she knew of his true personality. His harsh, hateful and hurtful comments were always so deliberately pointed to a specific weakness. Not that she had allowed him to know of any others except her brother and his death. That was a mistake, but it gave him an opening to rip open any festering wounds she already had. Just as his reaction to insults comparing him to his father.

While Sven may see Carina as an inferior, she was less of a fool to consider him as a weaker counterpart. They, to Carina, were equal on all fronts, despite how much it pained her to admit it. They clashed heads beautifully, their tempers just as powerful as the others. Except he was able to unleash his in a fiery burst of anger should he choose to. There was no question that Carina would mirror this with her own ice, but with it locked away within her, that was unrealistic. She would be an idiot to underestimate him again, yet she hoped he would continue underestimating her. Despite her longing to put him in his place and have him realise how equally matched they were... having him underestimate her was better.

Her body stiffened as he began to speak again, eyes narrowing as they remained on the landscape as it began to melt away from the ice she once knew. The nerve of him. How dare he.

"What an insult to your people to have the person they believe murdered your parents speak at their funeral. You really think they will sit quietly and allow that to happen?" She had allowed the silence to grow once more between them before speaking up, the thick tension weighing heavy on her chest.

Ice-blue eyes soon latched onto his dark brown ones, "I would rather subject myself to the fiery pits of hell within one of your many volcanoes than speak at the funeral. You would consider yourself lucky to not have to drag me there kicking and screaming just to stand and remain silent, let alone speak about people who I barely knew and hated."

Sven wasn't in the habit of showing his shock, but the woman's remarks did cause a flood of surprise to his features. Not the brutality of her last comments - frankly, he was used to his wife speaking so bluntly without even an effort to feign gracefulness of speech in his presence. Rather, her remark regarding the speech at the funeral and the consequence it would have on the citizens surprised him, a slow smirk arriving on his face the moment he properly digested what she had said.

"Carina, that is precisely the point of the endeavour - to stir up disgust and outrage amongst my citizens. Do you honestly think I would allow you to give a speech if I thought you stood a chance of winning anyone's approval? No, not at all. I know that you making a speech will consolidate the hatred they feel for you, so I can swoop in after your speech and earn myself sympathy. I'll be the poor King whose married to an absolute bitch, hm? I imagine that'll allow my people to support me more than they ordinarily might have done. The fact you even thought that I might not find great pleasure in the consequences of you speaking at the funeral is truly-- mind-blowing, Carina. It's staggering how little you use your brain. I have an ulterior motive for everything I do; isn't that clear by now?"

With a light shake of his head, still rather amused by the remarks, he settled back against the seat to watch the countryside pass by outside the window - not that he was content in letting the discussion just end there. She could fight and scream the entire way up to the podium if she so desired, but there was nothing that would form a barrier to her speaking at the funeral; not when Sven had a plan in mind that would ultimately reap him several benefits and earn him more support from his citizens. What did he care if he used Carina and subjected her to the boos and cries of the Ignisian public? She meant nothing to him, so sparing her from the extent of vile hatred she would bear witness to was something he didn't even momentarily consider.

"No. No, you are going to speak at the funeral, Carina. We are not having a discussion about it; I'm not politely asking. I am telling you that you're speaking. Say whatever you desire, get all the hatred towards them off your chest if you wish. But you will be stood up in front of the crowd and speaking about my parents in front of their coffins. I hope we're clear about that," he hummed with satisfaction, letting his brown eyes drift back to hers after momentarily breaking contact. His head tilted to the side slightly to wait for her confirmation, not content until he heard the agreement from her own mouth.

"...Do stop being so petulant about this. Your life isn't going to be a series of events you enjoy so stop pouting over the inconveniences you're faced with. We all have to do things we dislike - I fucking married you, didn't I? And that was a detestable experience. You're of royal blood; you know better than anyone that this life comes with sacrifices. So grow up."

Perhaps it was the heightened emotion from the abysmal funeral she had just attended for her brother, or perhaps it was because she was truly beginning to realise the full extent of the hell she was having to live in. Or maybe even yet, it was because she was furious at his lack of concern regarding his people hating her. But the hatred and fury she was currently bottling up within her was the strongest she had felt yet since the fall of her kingdom and forcefully being made into an Ignisi bride. As far as Carina cared, his people could hate her all they wanted. But it was the future she feared for and the children they would inevitably have together one day. While she was still alive, she feared that their children would get caught in the crossfire of the Ignisi people's hatred. They would be of her blood, after all, and if they inherited her gifts... that would just be another constant reminder of who their mother was.

Her body began to tremble with the rage that she kept bottled up, hands now tightly clasped together in her lap. Her fingertips pressing hard, so very hard, against the back of her hands. The force in which she had her hands held together causing them to shake occasionally with the effort too. Her eyes remained on the side of his face as he stared out of the carriage, without a care in the world. How she loathed him. How she longed to fling open the carriage door and shove him out to watch him hit the ground. How she longed to see him bleed.

Attempting to take the high road was exhausting. All she wanted was to retort back, bite back with some harsh comment comparing him to his father as she knew that was the way to get him to stop at least verbally abusing her. It always seemed to leave him speechless for a moment, and that respite would be enough.

But then she realised, he hadn't specified what she actually had to say at this funeral. All he had said was that she had to speak, but not what she had to speak about. He wished to have a certain narrative, but Carina would fight till the end to ensure that narrative he wanted didn't turn out. Even if it didn't work out tomorrow, she would continue to drive home an image of herself to his people that would appeal to them. Even if it meant speaking ill of her brother, and the thought turned her stomach and stabbed at her chest, but she was sure that Emmett would understand.

His last comments snapped Carina back into reality and the familiar burn of fury returned. Without even considering what the retribution may be, Carina was leaning forward with a hand raised and moving firm and fast in an attempt to make contact with his cheek. She wasn't sure what it was that triggered her, finally, to try and slap him, but the lack of space between them in the carriage was suffocating and made each spiteful, hateful comment even worse. And telling her to grow up? What a fucking joke.

Last edited:
Before the hand could make contact with his face, Sven had seemingly interrupted his efforts to remain quiet and stare out the window by grabbing her wrist in his hand with ease. Maybe his momentary peacefulness had simply been a facade; maybe he was fully invested in the goings on of those in the carriage and was simply feigning distraction. It wasn't out of character for him to appear one way whilst being entirely antithetical beneath the surface, after all.

And his ability to reach out for the other's wrist before her hand could leave a stinging slap to his cheek was evidence that he could anticipate its arrival before Carina had even made the action, as though he was silently taking in her growing irritation and waiting patiently for her to snap and attempt to release it with physical violence. After all, that wasn't entirely uncharacteristic for her - he wasn't capable of forgetting the few slaps she had already dealt him in their short past together. This one, however, wasn't destined to be received, the man's smile growing smugly at having caught the attempt before it was dealt.

"You do really have an appalling temper, Carina; you might want to get that under control before you fall pregnant. I understand that that sort of stress won't be good for the baby and I won't have you endangering the health of any of our unborn children," hummed the King, the warning unsubtle in his gaze as he waited for the message to sink in before releasing her arm and returning to gazing from the window. He knew precisely what he was doing by invoking the mention of their future children. It was incredibly cruel to mention that she would possibly be a danger to their lives, using her justifiable anger towards him as a way of justifying that possibility, but Sven hardly cared how low he had to go to hurt her. He even knew that he had a worse temper than Carina did and calling her out on her anger was like the pot calling the kettle black... but he also didn't care about his own hypocrisy.

He would be the one causing that anger in her, an anger he made the cruel point of saying would possibly distress any of their future children, but that hypocrisy, though noted in his head, was hardly something he would admit to aloud. All he cared about was making the cruel dig and letting it settle, the smirk remaining in place as the silence fell around them.