Playing with Fire

Carina took the opportunity of his lowered gaze to study him closely, with intense scrutiny. There was more to this Prince, but she wasn't entirely sure what. He had the power of the Ignisi line flowing through his veins, flames at his beck and call with a simple flick of the wrist, and the crown upon his head. Yet the young man before her was so meek and quiet. Full of anxiety and uncertainty about his own potential. If it were someone in her own kingdom - hell, anyone not in this kingdom - Carina would have sought to take them under her wing.

But no. Not this injured, pathetic boy of a man.

Still, she kept a comforting smile on her lips after swallowing some of her food, having taken the opportunity to eat something as he spoke. "Perhaps you can convince King Lucien to allow you to sit in on counsel and affairs of state now this has all happened." She suggested, wanting for this to happen not for him - but for her own self-gain.

If he was sat in on those meetings, she could coax information from him. Find out about any rifts in the kingdom, where any potential unrest lay within the land. Find out what they planned to the people that belonged to her kingdom - where they would be enslaved. Perhaps even who managed to get away. Surely some managed to flee.

"I'm sure you're right. We may be enemies but we cannot be strangers our entire life," Carina turned back to her plate, taking another bite, smile faltering briefly, "Not anymore at least."

"You need to eat some more, girl." The King's voice loomed from above her, yet Carina managed to keep herself from startling. Painting another pleasant smile onto her lips, she wondered just how many times these two bloody royals were going to try unsettling her.

She twisted in her seat to look up at the King, still smiling and eyes widely innocent, quizzical. "Whatever do you mean, Your Highness? I'm eating what has been provided. I wouldn't want to eat you out of a castle." She laughed gently again, taking her goblet from the table to sip from.

Lucien's hands came to rest upon the tops of their chairs, one hand on Sven's and the other on Carina's. "Then we'll have to give you bigger portions," he leaned back, head raising to project his voice out to the rest of the hall, "You'll need to be stronger than you are now if you're going to carry the fire of an Ignisi heir in your belly."

Cheers roared in response, goblets were raised in toast and the King's laughter boomed, echoing throughout the hall. Carina's fingers tightened around the stem of her own goblet, ice crystalizing onto the metal as a small amount of her power leaked out. Colour had faded from her cheeks and her lips were parted in shock at the words she had just heard. She wanted nothing more than to excuse herself and leave, but she knew she couldn't.

Clearing her throat, Carina removed her gaze from the king, struggling for the first time that night to find the words to respond. She longed to scream. Tell him with all the power she had inside her that she would never carry an Ignisi heir. Yet she couldn't, she had to bite her tongue.

At her silence, the king leaned down to her level. Her hand pulled the goblet closer to her chest as the crystalizing ice crept up and down either side of the stem of her glass. "Nothing to say this time, girl?" The king sneered next to her ear and Carina kept herself still, refusing to flinch at his hot breath on her cheek. The silence lasted for another heart beat or two before the king finally pulled back, arm outstretched to have his cup refilled. Carina swallowed her remaining wine in a gulp or two, motioning for it to be refilled immediately after.

"A toast!" The king declared walking back to his seat with his arm raised, wine sloshing over the edges of his cup. Another roar of response from his subjects. "To the Kingdom of Ignis, long may the fire burn."

The Prince of Ignis was no stranger to the requirements of an heir. He was the result of such a desire, knowing that when his mother and father possessed no maternal or paternal desires and harboured no natural instincts to care and nurture a child, he probably wouldn't have been given life if it hadn't been necessary to solidify the future of the throne. He had been brought up knowing that he would one day be expected to fulfil the same necessary requirements of any King - an heir.

If it hadn't already been important, it certainly was now that the kingdoms of Ignis and Eira would be ruled by the same King and Queen. Their union symbolised the success of Ignis in conquering their neighbour, and the best way of guaranteeing the consolidation of power? An heir who had a birthright to rule over both lands as one.

It was why Sven barely reacted to his father's remarks, only setting his cutlery down to take in Carina's shock. He offered what appeared to be an apologetic smile, one he hoped would appear just as reluctant for the plan as she evidently was - because he was hardly thrilled with it either. He had absolutely no desire to follow through with his parents' expectations, certainly not with Carina who, being from that kingdom, made her instantly unappealing in his eyes. She had been an enemy to him his entire life, as anyone from Eira had been to those in Ignis for centuries. He despised her just like he despised her people - just being nice to her was killing him, so the likelihood of being intimate with her?

He had no intentions on it, hoping to see his parents dead before he was forced into any romantic obligations with Carina.

He was, however, amused by her adverse reaction to the news - albeit a little disappointed in her for failing to maintain control of her emotions. She gave the royal couple exactly what they hoped to see from her; shock and horror they thrived upon. However understandable it was, Sven was bitterly disappointed by it, having hoped she would proceed to irk his parents the entire dinner. Instead, he had to raise a cup and listen to his parents' amused laughter, contented and now returning to their jubilant, celebratory moods. And their happiness only caused an opposite emotion to spring in the Prince.

"Long may the fire burn," he calmly repeated after his father with a polite smile, setting his eyes back on the table to ignore the raucous cheers around the tables. He was as delighted as they were in Ignis' success, but it made it hard to even inwardly enjoy the moment when he was surrounded by people he regarded as either inferior, inconsequential or imbecilic. To say he was narcissistic was, evidently, an understatement.

"...I don't wish to sit and celebrate further; may I retire to bed?" He questioned as he peered over at his parents, his brow arched curiously. "I fear I'll only sour the evening if I remain sat here, in all my tiredness and exhaustion. My bed is calling to me and I'd fare better tomorrow if I retired to sleep now--"

"Your son truly tests my patience, Lucien," hummed Valentina as she held her goblet out for a refill. Her efforts of detaching herself from even acknowledging her relation to Sven wasn't unsubtle, though the Prince had heard far worse over the years. "You are not disappearing off anywhere; entertain the little ice queen some more. I'm sure she finds you fascinating; if not, I'm sure she's wise enough to feign an interest."

If Carina had known about Sven's disappointment in her loss of control regarding her passive and pleasant behaviour, she would have snapped back that she was already disappointed in herself and didn't need it from him. But she didn't, that still didn't mean she wasn't furious with herself. She should have known a comment like that was bound to come. She should have been more prepared for it, expected it. She just didn't realise that the King would stoop as low as that to get a reaction from her. Carina was sure that fires still burned in her kingdom, yet the King was already speaking of heirs.

What better way to unify their two kingdoms? Two royals from the opposing lands, married and ruling together, was one thing. But an heir who would have all the rights to what lay before them. It would cement everything into place.

Raising her filled goblet to her wine stained lips, Carina took another few hearty sips from it as she processed all that had just been said. It angered her that she could not continue to irk his parents the way she had been. It had been going so well, and made this feast barely bearable. She had enjoyed the unsubtle looks of frustration and dismay on Queen Valentina's face, and the bubbling rage that swelled in King Lucien's eyes. Yet now they both had what they wanted, and the jubilant mood was back in the room once more. Perhaps the wine was helping them along, but Carina could guess it was a mixture.

Her eyes fixated onto her food, going through the motions of continuing to eat despite having lost her appetite. She also wanted to not eat, just so it did not look like she was taking the King's 'advice' on board. But it had been a long day, a long and taxing one, Carina was no fool. She knew she would have to get her strength back up after such an event.

Carina didn't react at the Prince's words, nor the Queen's response. It did not surprise her that the little prince longed for his bed, as the feast didn't strike her as something he would particularly enjoy in the first place. Yet, as much as she could tell that there was no love lost between child and parents, Carina would have thought he would have wished to have stayed longer. It was a momentous moment in history and he wished to retire to bed early? It was slightly odd. However she wasn't about to let this opportunity slip through her fingers, and she set aside her cutlery.

"Your Highness, if you would be so kind as to do so, I would be ever so grateful should you allow me to retire for the evening too. Perhaps Prince Ignisi would be willing to walk me back to my room? We can continue to... entertain each other on the way back." Carina carefully crafted her words, turning slightly to look at the Queen to repeat: "I would be awfully grateful."

Was it ideal that her son had openly asked to leave the celebrations? Far, far from it. Valentina may not love her son as a mother ought to, particularly when Sven was the son and heir and she perhaps ought to have loved and cherished him for the solidity he brought to their ancestral line, but she did at least expect him to fulfil the duties he as the Prince of Ignis had to uphold. This was a jubilant occasion; the most momentous day in the history of Ignis itself. They had not only conquered their enemy but had done so in incredible fashion deserving of a vast feast and raucous celebrations, even more so when the enjoyment they could gather from Carina's fated marriage to the heir of Ignis was immense.

Why her son wanted to skip out on such an occasion bewildered the Queen, who had been finally receiving the reaction she wanted from Carina and refusing to let the enjoyment of it slip her by. She was beyond bewildered; she was furious and enraged by the fact her only child and heir failed to understand the necessity of his presence. How could he convince anyone of his dedication when he couldn't even sit through a feast thrown for the most justifiable of reasons and most celebratory of occasions?

Downing her goblet of wine in one and holding it out promptly again for another refill, she rested her chin in her spare hand to examine the two. She wanted Carina to remain present just as much as she did with Sven, if only because she wanted the girl to be uncomfortable and suffer through the indignity of attending a feast thrown in success of Eira's conquering. Yet, watching Sven grow more reserved and shy all night disgusted her, as did Carina's stubborn efforts of maintaining her pride and control - factors that she could easily regain after the shock of the King's remarks died down.

If it was a choice between keeping them at the dinner and letting them both ruin her night or just sending them away to miserably wallow in self-pity, then the latter was the most attractive option.

Too irked to even fathom responding to the two, she waved a hand dismissively - a motion that immediately resulted in Sven getting to his feet in realisation of his mother's agreement to let them leave.

"I... can certainly walk you to your room, Carina," he nodded in agreement as he set his eyes on the girl at his side, offering a relieved smile in gratitude at her quick thinking. For once, the gratitude wasn't an emotion he had to falsify or feign - he had no desire to remain in the presence of a room full of imbeciles who laughed and cheered every single one of his father's inane remarks, even if the night was as important as it was. It was either leave or grow more irritated and end up losing his temper and, subsequently, breaking the facade he was determined to maintain.

"And while I fear I may not be entertaining enough, I'm sure we can spend the time to get to know one another a little more? I'm afraid it's a requirement that we interact, and if that is the case, I'd rather do so away from all of... this."

Relief flooded Carina at the Queen's dismissive gesture, having not expected her to concede to the wants of the Prince and Princess. But she didn't allow that to show on her face, instead murmuring a thank you and providing a pleasant, polite smile as she stood. She did allow herself to indulge in a shared smile of gratitude with Sven, even if she did want to simply turn away from him and leave of her own accord. How could a Prince of Ignis be so meek, so shy and weak that he couldn't even do what he wished in his own kingdom? That he couldn't even argue back against his parents, that he was constantly belittled and undermined by his father? That he allowed the sharp words and criticism of his mother to go wandering without retort?

Carina had always been at loggerheads with her father, ever since she could learn how to talk. At least that was what the maids had joked. And it had gotten worse throughout their time in the war. It seemed like father and daughter had an argument every day about her lack of involvement in meetings regarding affairs of state and the war. Sometimes it ended with Carina having to have an impromptu training session to release her anger and frustration through ice. Other times it ended with her in her bedroom, a red hand mark on her cheek and tears of fury swelling in her eyes.

As they moved away from the table and toward the door, Carina force herself to link up with the young Prince. Her one arm slipped between his and his body, hand lightly resting just over his elbow. It made her skin crawl, touching someone who for years had been considered her enemy. And she made it so she was barely touching him at all.

"I hope this is okay," she whispered to him, playing off her feather-light touch as wanting to ensure he felt comfortable, "It's-it's only because I feel like it is expected of us now." Carina continued, turning an innocent gaze up onto his face. He was slightly taller than her, but with his demeanour, she hardly felt intimidated or threatened. This boy seemed incapable of even swatting away a fly.

Gently patting his arm, she smiled kindly up to him, "You shouldn't say such things about yourself. I'm sure you're far more interesting than any of the men in that room, including your father and he's just made history." She assured him, the words light on her tongue. But they weren't easy to say. It made her feel sick, acting as if all was okay. As if this wasn't just an arrangement made from blood and murder.

If this had come about from negotiations, to bring together to kingdoms in peace and solidarity, then Carina would have felt a little easier about it. Of course still not happy, she had hoped to wed someone who she actually loved and cared for. But it would have been a duty she knew was hers and hers alone to carry out. But this... this wasn't it.

"I completely agree, this is no way to-" Carina began, but was cut off by another call from the King who had spotted them on their escape.

"There they go!" He pointed to them with his goblet, a malicious smirk on his lips, "Perhaps my son is capable after all - sneaking away as if we wouldn't notice. No need to be proper about anything and wait, son. There's no backing out of the marriage for this one - may as well start trying for an heir tonight!" His words were slightly slurred by the wine, and after the reaction he had garnered from Carina earlier, he made another attempt using the same tactic.

Disgust rose in Carina's throat, but she swallowed it down. She was prepared this time, aware of what the King may try. So instead she laughed it off, her other hand raising to clasp the other as they now both held Sven's arm. "All in good time, Your Majesty. Good things come to those who wait." She answered across the hall, diminishing the chortling and jeers coming from the men surrounding the table. She released Sven's arm to lower herself into another deep curtsy, raising her head as she reached the lowest point to smile: "Goodnight and blessings to you all."

She turned back to the door, waiting there for Sven before they made their escape to the rest of the castle. A revulsion burning in her chest, and she didn't take his arm again.

Sven had been momentarily surprised by the fact his father hadn't deemed it appropriate to offer his thoughts on their decision to voluntarily and prematurely abandon the celebrations, each for their own reasons. It didn't take much for Lucien to chime in with whatever opinion he felt needed to be heard and, quite often (if not consistently all the time), they were opinions that Sven neither shared or approved of. His father's crassness and vulgarity had never been enjoyable, though his disgust had never stopped Lucien in the past and it wouldn't stop him now.

As the rapturous laughs echoed once more throughout the great hall, the young Prince cast a quick glance around the offending tables of imbeciles drunkenly shouting their agreement and amusement at the King's remark. He made a silent note of the more familiar faces who joined in, and especially acknowledged the ones who felt it appropriate to raise their goblets in his general direction with unsubtle words of advice and encouragement for the Prince in the bedroom department. It was uncalled for, rude and vulgar... unfortunately all characteristics of those in the high places in Ignis. It was a land characterised by the passion and extroversion of its inhabitants, and Sven was fine with that. What he wasn't fine with was his father and his buffoonish friends drunkenly slurring out advice and laughing in clear disbelief, as if Sven would fail to properly act on any of it. As if he was a stranger to sex because of the personality he presented to them all and had been successful in manipulating them with.

He was far from a stranger to it, but he was perfectly happy for his parents to presume he was too nervous to even interact with a girl. Hell, his mother's disgust at her son's 'inability' to make eye-contact with Carina hardly gave her the impression that he had ever been intimate with anyone. His parents were instead left continually disappointed in their son for his lack of ability with women, like his father clearly possessed.

But he let them believe that. He had no desire to contradict them with the truth, thereby allowing himself to slip out from the hall with his shoulders hunched and cheeks a beetroot red as if mortified by what had occurred.

Well, he hardly needed Carina gaining an insight into the real him either, opting to let her continue to believe he was completely innocent to more sexual matters.

"I... I am... appalled by his behaviour, I apologise profusely. I... I'm sure you can tell that my father enjoys a drink. As does my mother. That said, they... would offer similar remarks when sober so the lack of alcohol in their system won't make things easier, I'm afraid," he piped up as he hurriedly caught up to the other, his fingers nervously picking at a thread at the end of his long-sleeve undershirt.

"For... Well, for what it's worth, I don't... desire children, at all. I have no intention of... doing anything like that, I... I don't... necessarily think it's for me, so... we could lie if we're questioned about it. I would hate for you to think of me being capable of sharing my father's opinions. I won't lie to you and pretend I'm innocent in the war, but... I refuse to believe myself to be as barbaric as the King and Queen are. I'm sure it's obvious to you how bitter of a disappointment I am to them?"

"It's alright," Carina forced herself to swallow down her disgust and take up her act once more. Offering him a quieter and more timid smile herself, she worried her lower lip between her teeth. In all truthfulness, Carina was done with the evening. She was done with the entire day. She didn't want to continue her little game with the Prince now, instead she just wanted to be in bed with the door locked and a chest of drawers pushed against it. She didn't trust any person in this castle besides her brother. And she was sick of the vulgar and crude nature of the nobility.

While the topic didn't mortify her if it was discussed with confidants, Carina was still slightly uncomfortable regarding it. She had giggled over certain things with her maids as they prepared her for bed, with some of them being married she had often asked what it was like to get some sort of idea for if she ever wed. Yet she had never participated in anything with anyone. So while she had listened and discussed topics with those she was closest too... Carina was still innocent in that regard.

So to have it so blatantly discussed and for her to be laughed at mortified her. But Carina knew she couldn't allow any further reaction to be seen by anyone in the kingdom, lest the teasing and crude and taunting comments continue.

Carina frowned slightly at his words of not desiring children, glancing to him momentarily. "It's not a case of desiring children at this point, Prince Sven," she answered gently, as if explaining something to a child, "It will be expected of us, especially now with your Kingdom's glorious victory." The words were like poison on her tongue, searing treason on her lips. She then smiled hesitantly again, "We couldn't lie... I wouldn't wish any further teasing to come from your parents at your expense."

Sighing, she looked forward again as they walked and clicked her tongue softly. "It hasn't gone unnoticed, I must admit, Prince Sven." She had to hold her tongue, careful with her words. Be kind, be caring, be nurturing. That is what she had to do. She had to get him on her side, comfort him. "I think they are far too hard on you... and I definitely do not put you in the same league as your father or mother." Carina painted on another smile, one shy and reassuring.

The deliberate carefulness and gentleness at which she spoke to him was everything to Sven, who observed the other's efforts with a neutral expression but derived great pleasure from it. She spoke to him as if he were made of glass that threatened to smash if she spoke with any forcefulness or raised her voice too much, and the mere fact she was enduring the effort of communicating with him in such a manner was simply more evidence that everything was going accordingly to plan.

He was extremely tempted to just let the facade drop there and then to be able to openly and honestly revel in what amusement his successful manipulation had already brought. He could stop the manipulation tactics now and take great satisfaction from having reduced her to this; to thinking he was a childlike Prince incapable of standing sufficiently and independently on his own two feet. A Prince she could feign concern and gentleness in in the belief she could brush him aside with ease later in their future.

That was never going to be the case when he wasn't the shy young man racked by his own introversion and anxieties, of course. It was the success of his plans thus far that was encouraging him to continue with them, knowing that things could only really continue in his favour. Perhaps he could use the other's belief that he was no threat against her; make her do what he wanted without realising it? That was just one of the many potentials that could arise from continuing with the plot, thereby forcing him to maintain his neutral expression in spite of how tempting it was to laugh in her face at her.

"...You're right, of course. It's merely wishful thinking to believe we can avoid what is ultimately inevitable, but I... suppose I just wanted you to understand that I do not hold the same desires my parents have regarding... the topic of an heir. I... possibly dislike the idea as much as you," he answered as softly as expected from him, happy to fall into silence as they trailed down the dim corridor towards the grand bedroom designated for the other. It was unnecessary to offer her a chance to experience such lavishness, that being just another area he disagreed with his parents. Had it been up to him, the girl would have been forced into a small room and deprived of basic comfort and necessities until the marriage commenced - hat right did she have to the grandeur and opulence before it?

He forced back a grimace as the sight of the bedroom came into view, politely stopping outside the door to not encroach into her room and, therefore, her privacy.

"My parents are hard on me but I understand it, in some ways. My father's vulgarity and my mother's coldness... that's simply how they are and I accept it. Don't concern yourself about me, Carina, please. Focus on yourself. You did well at the dinner tonight; I'd rather you focused on yourself to continue that level of control against them. It's... rather impressive and I commend you for it."

"Oh I do not dislike the topic..." Carina admitted, deciding to reveal that small truth too. Little bits, to keep it believable, keep it real and at least slightly authentic. "I did envision having children some day, but never did I imagine that it would... be in this sort of situation." She shrugged delicately, a hand moving to the bracelet on the opposite wrist without her even realising what she was doing. It toyed with it, circling it around and around as she remained lost in her thoughts for a second.

Quickly she brought herself back to reality, flashing him a reassuring smile and clearing her throat. "Like we both said, it's undoubtedly out of our control now. But perhaps we can help one another in the ways that we can." She suggested, the smile turning timid again. There were ways, simply putting it off and lying. It only left her to feel relief once more at the Prince's lack of Ignisi characteristics. That he seemed willing to do such a thing for her in the first place. She knew if it had been his father, or any of the Dukes or Lords that were in that hall tonight... well, she didn't want to think of it.

Carina looked to the door of her room, remembering the light silk sheets and the dark, fiery colours that lay beyond it. Not her bedroom. Not her home. It oddly angered her to have a room that reeked of luxury and comfort. It was something that made her feel less like a prisoner. It was one less thing to hate the Ignisi family for. However she could also understand the thinking - she was to be a member of the family, regardless of it was forced or not.

Her gaze snapped to him in surprise at his compliment, leaving her momentarily taken aback. "Well- I... thank you." She murmured, hand stilling over the bracelet as she finally realised what she was doing. "But you shouldn't have to accept such behaviour from your own parents, Sven." Carina allowed her voice to turn into honey, hushing it so as to keep the conversation between them, "They are bullies, Sven, and I am not saying this because of what your father ordered to happen to my kingdom. They are bullies to you too and you shouldn't allow them to be."

A small, hesitant smile was painted onto her lips as she reached a hand out for the door handle, "Thank you for your support this evening. Have a good night." She finally inclined her head toward him, pushing the handle down and the door open. Purposefully lingering there for a breath, Carina slipped inside her room and shut the door.

Once there, she rested against the wooden panels, nose wrinkling and hand moving up to her hair to yank out the pins that had been placed there. A grimace took over her expression as she locked her door, moving away from it to reach for the ribbons that tied her into the dress at the back, exhaling heavily with irritated exhaustion. He was such a timid, quiet young man. Yet she was confident that she would get him to trust her, to let her in, if she continued with her plan of affection and attention. From there... she could get anything she wanted through him.

Carina was determined to make him her little Ignisi puppet.

The words of reassurance appeared to make the young Prince smile in relief, even if that response was as false as the comforting words themselves were. Though he gathered the impression that Carina was presenting him with false kindness, it was nonetheless impressive how convincing it was. It might have failed to really convince him -you couldn't kid a kidder most the time, after all- but he still acknowledged how easily convinced anyone else might have been. If anything, the fact he hadn't fallen for it allowed him to recognise the impressiveness of her attempt. To lie to his face and pretend to care about him just to benefit herself later on was a tactic he was adopting, so he had to admit how smart it was.

In fact, her involving herself in such a game was significant in its similarity to Sven. He didn't want to admit that he had anything in common with the princess, who was born to a land he hated and proclaimed enemies of, but he hadn't expected Carina to be this... sly. To be this willing to engage in manipulative tactics to further herself. He had no doubt that her motivations weren't selfish but based on the betterment of her people and Eira itself, in contrast to his motivations which were entirely selfish... but there was still a great deal of similarity in the tactics themselves that made him grin in amusement to himself.

His body language changed the instant he was left alone. His hunched shoulders rested back proudly, his poor posture straightened as he stood tall at his full height and nervous eyes that refused to glance up from the floor in Carina's presence now rested forward, his chin even tilted somewhat as he carried both an air of superiority and natural intimidation. Nobody was around to witness that change in him but he didn't put any of it on for anyone's benefit - it was simply how he was. The nervous, anxious posture most connected him to was the facade; not the proud, dark appearance he now possessed.

Having no desire to return to the celebrations, Sven headed to his own bedroom in an effort to get some sleep in spite of the cacophony of booming laughter that seemed to plague him. The constant reminder of the imbeciles currently partying away in the grand hall was difficult to ignore, the urge to storm down there and consume the hall in flames to shut them all up being incredibly tempting, but he resisted, changed into his nightwear and turned in for the night.

Upon a second inspection of her room, Carina found that her wardrobe had been filled during her absence. The piece of furniture had been stoked with gowns and cloaks and shoes that all matched the colours of Ignis. But Carina didn't expect anything less, not after that evening. As she delved deeper into the closet, she noticed the lack of detailing and grandeur one expected on the clothing of a royal. She recognised it for what it was, a diminishing of her title. A symbolic change of her lack of power despite them being all to happy to use it for the sake of marrying her to their son. Yet it was something she would have to deal with, and another topic that would no doubt be discussed by the Queen.

Carina relished the challenge that Queen Valentina provided. The harsher this family would be, the more she would kill them with kindness until she could actually slit their throats. Or perhaps impale them with an icicle, just as the King had joked previously. Now that would be symbolic.

She smirked to herself as her eyes wandered over the dresses, but not seeing them, instead seeing King Lucien's head stuck on the end of an icicle of her creation once this bloody bracelet was off her wrist.

Closing the wardrobe doors after pulling out a night dress, Carina laid the garment out on the bed before begin her usual ritual of preparing for bed, her thoughts drifting to her brother and hoping that he was doing okay.

----

The next morning, she found herself rudely awakened by an incessant knocking on her door, paired with calls for her to let whoever behind it in. Grumbling softly, she forced herself out of bed, jaw clenched and her face like thunder. However, it was immediately replaced with a smile once she had moved the armchair out from under the handle and unlocked the door. Apologies were instant, pleasant and polite to the two maids that entered, jugs of hot water in hand.

Carina was grateful, after some of the looks from the men in that hall last night, she felt like she would have to scorch two layers of skin off her body before she felt clean again.

She continued with her warm facade with the maids, knowing that she couldn't let her guard down once. Any one of these women could relay information back to anyone in this castle and Carina wasn't about to let any of them squeeze any information from her. She instead chatting nonsense about the feast, the lovely gowns in the wardrobe and the Prince being a gentlemen and escorting her back to her room.

They helped her dress, do her hair and prepare for the day. But they didn't escort her down to breakfast, instead leaving her alone in her room once all was done. And Carina allowed herself a moment to relax, massaging her cheeks as they ached from the smiling. Her head was also starting to give her grief, and she believed it to be from the heat of the bath and the bloody kingdom she was in.

Exhaling in a huff through her nose, Carina stood from her bed and left her room to begin a slow wander to where the maids had told her breakfast would be served, careful to keep her eyes up and ears open.

Given the celebrations had continued well into the early hours of the morning, it was a surprise to Sven that he had managed to get any sleep whatsoever. It was nothing short of a miracle that despite the racket going on within the castle, the Prince had settled in for a mostly undisturbed sleep - though he had no doubt that if he wasn't physically exhausted from the exertion of war, he would have been up most of the night dealing with the cacophonous partying occurring elsewhere in the castle.

Fortunately, he woke feeling relatively well-rested and after proceeding with his morning routine, he felt more refreshed and at ease than he had been the night previous. He knew he would ultimately have to deal with Carina for the entire day, as well as handling his parents' expectations of him and dealing with the consequences of inevitably letting them down, but he was almost, strangely, looking forward to it. He had confidence that his own tactics were working around Carina and while he could be furious that she was daring to play her own little game with him, he could also derive great pleasure in the uselessness of it.

She might be playing her own game, but he had his own. He was even entirely certain that he had won already, simply because she, like everyone else in his life, had fallen for the pathetic display he put on. If anything, he regarded her as the mouse and he was the cat, toying about with his prey in amusement before dealing the inevitable blow that would finish her off.

He liked to believe that he was completely prepared for whatever the day had to bring that he had grown complacent to aspects he couldn't control as much as he would like to. That morning, that uncontrollable element was his adviser; a twenty-something year old woman who appeared to disregard the Prince's title and respect entirely - as evidenced by the fact she was angrily looming over him as he sat awaiting breakfast. The discussion was low but heated, with the adviser reacting fiercely to every drawled retort the Prince gave her.

His eyes drifted away from the enraged woman upon seeing Carina appear, a meek smile offered across in greeting. He sunk in his chair a little and averted his gaze, going as far as to flinch at his adviser's continued hisses - this was a moment to make himself look weak and pathetic, to aid his overall plan, so like hell would he let the opportunity slip him by.

"What the hell are you doing, Sven?" Came his adviser's confused remark, witnessing Sven's body language change before her eyes for reasons unknown - until following his gaze to the Princess. All at once she seemed to understand what was going on, shooting the Prince a final glance before opting to leave their argument for a later date. She may be his adviser who had no right to talk to him in the manner she had, but she had more to offer him than just informing him of his duties for the day and helping him with his schedule. The job title she had wasn't necessarily something she did when Sven saw no need to be told what to do by someone his family employed, but she had become invaluable in other roles... though not all of them were work-orientated.

"...Princess Carina, isn't it? From that god-forsaken land of snow? What a... wonderful dress you're wearing. Red suits you," Natalia began as she slowly let her eyes trail over Carina, a faint frown appearing as if unimpressed by the display before her. "I apologise for causing an awkward atmosphere; I work for his highness and there were a few little... unexpected details I hadn't been told until now. My sincerest apologies, my lord."

"It... it really isn't anything to concern yourself with, Natalia. I... consider the moment forgiven and forgotten already," he replied with a shakiness to his voice, only daring to harden his gaze when he was sure Carina wasn't witness to it. Only when Natalia returned such an expression and swiftly took to leaving the room did he sit up in his chair a little, coughing into his fist to break the silence.

"I do apologise for that, she's... rather an aggressive sort of person, but her intelligence and the excellence at which she performs her job is enough for me to overlook the, ah... less than ideal personality traits. Natalia is... as bold and as brash as most in this kingdom, I'm sure you've come to realise that by now even in your short time here."

Carina's gaze settled on Sven and the fiery-haired woman that stood across the table from him. Her pace slowed to survey the interaction, noting his submissive body language once more, but something felt off at the woman's confused tone as if she didn't understand just why he was behaving in such a manner. It caused a heavy weight of doubt to settle in her chest, causing her to wonder if she had read the situation correctly with Sven. As the woman followed Sven's gaze to rest on her, Carina tilted her chin slightly and offered a pleasant smile, masking the suspicion and caution she had earlier experienced.

She continued forward before stopping at the top of the table, resting a hand on the top of the seat placed there. She bristled at the other woman's look, fingers tightening on the top of the chair as she allowed her eyes to run over her just to be given a look of disgust. A coldness, only belonging to the ice she could control, burned at the tips of her fingers and Carina was forced to clasp her hands behind her back, inclining her head in a silent thanks to the reluctant compliment.

There was no way in hell that Carina would have previously allowed anyone to look at her so distastefully. The tempers in Ignis may be hot and brash, but in Eira they were sharp and cutting. And Carina gently breathed her way through the threat of hers showing.

"Pleasure to meet you, Natalie." Carina called after the woman, purposefully getting her name wrong and half turning to watch her exit, eyebrow raised and a muscle in her jaw jumping while she faced away from the Prince. When she turned back, however, a smile was once more in place.

The earlier thoughts and suspicious concerns were forgotten as she rounded the table, lost in the moment of fury felt at Natalia's gaze wandering over with that unimpressed gleam to her eye - the mere thought was riling Carina back up again.

Clearing her throat, she took a seat opposite him, leaving one empty next to the head of the table as she was uncertain as to if his parents would be joining and if so, on which side the Queen would sit. She chuckled lightly, eyebrow raising with a good-natured smile on her lips, "I think it would be hard not to notice such characteristics. They are so well suited to your kingdom." She commented, not bothering to dwell on the topic of the actual woman in question for any longer.

Pausing, Carina shot a quick look to the door, her eyebrows knitting together with a falsely nervous concern that anyone could walk through at any moment, "Sven... may I ask something of you?" She asked, voice hushed and gentle, "I-I was wondering if it would be possible to see my brother at some point today. Just for a few minutes. Just us two. A-a guard can stand outside the door. I just want to make sure he's alright... I haven't seen him since we arrived and I-I'm just worried about him." She worried her lower lip between her teeth, eyes wide with the anxiety one may expect from a sister separated from their brother. Both orphaned and alone in a hostile environment.

But in reality, while she did wish to ensure her brother was in good health, this was one of Carina's first tests. It was quite early on, to see if the little Prince would try and help her, yet she had to get to work quickly. While things were still being put into place and not finalised. When a revolt could still be successful.

Sven wouldn't allow anyone to talk to him in the way his adviser had, and he was already quietly formulating a plan to reprimand her for the behaviour - but it wasn't entirely unnecessary on her part. He had done little to discourage her advances, accepting them eagerly and primarily seeing that as one of the only reasons she proceeded to be so relevant in his life. He would have continued to employ her even if they weren't romantically involved, not being so stubborn to neglect acknowledging how helpful she was in organising his duties and reminding him of engagements to prepare for, but he was also able to admit that their involvement with another had certainly helped in his decision to keep her around.

He knew she had developed feelings and he was probably cruel for not nipping it in the bud sooner. As a consequence of that, choosing to enjoy their engagements despite knowing her love was growing more each time, he had to sit and endure her horrified reaction to news of his engagement - a reaction that, in the context of things, hadn't been unjust or unfair. In fact, he was mildly and pleasantly surprised that she hadn't gone further in her anger towards him.

If he had blamed it on his father, acted like this was a situation he despised, he might have experienced some sympathy from her. Instead, he had casually remarked that he was fond of the plan if it consolidated his desire for power, appearing callous and uncaring to the young woman who evidently loved him. Yet, he knew he could easily soften the blossoming of hatred later on with a few whispered sweet nothings into her ear - it did take very little to charm people, especially someone already predisposed to forgiving him for his behaviour.

He calmly let his eyes drift away from Natalia when she left the room, reaching for the coffee that had been brought to him the moment he took his seat at the table. He ought to have waited for his parents and he knew just a cup of coffee without their presence was enough of a reason to incur their wrath - but hungover and exhausted, him just breathing too loudly would undoubtedly cause them to snap at him.

"...Pardon? Your brother? Are... you serious? I... understand how difficult this is for you, Carina. I have no siblings so I can only imagine how horrid this is, but... my parents would kill me. I'm offering no hyperbole here; they would kill me," he blurted in genuine surprise at the offer, struggling to contain a smile in response to the audacity. He had an inkling, a small one, that this might be a test of sorts - though it could also quite easily just be the desperation of a sister to see their younger brother, with no ulterior motive to the audacious request.

"I really do fear that with my parents' presence, there's little I can do to help you, Carina. I... would like to help, I see no reason why your brother is treated like this either, but... my parents, I... fear what they'd do to us both if they found out," he eventually replied after setting down the mug, his nimble fingers tapping away at the wooden table in feigned anxiety. Assisting Carina was the obvious move to make, to continue his deception, though he wasn't willing to do so immediately. He wanted to appear at least a little conflicted, and he certainly wanted to emphasise the difficulty of helping Carina with anything if his parents were around.

He would happily kill them himself, but why get his hands bloody and suffer the consequences when she could do the business for him? He had no doubt that she would end their lives the instant she could, but emphasising how much simpler her life would be without them around couldn't hurt.

".. I... could theoretically arrange you to see him for a few minutes, Natalia could figure something out. I'm afraid she's rather upset with me at the moment, but... I can convince her to help if I needed to. For you."

"Well I would never wish to put you in such a position," Carina answered quietly, allowing her shoulders to fall and lowering her gaze from his. Perhaps it was too much to ask, too soon. But it was an interesting attempt, nonetheless. Of course she was thinking about plans for the future and wished to speak to her brother about it, but Carina did genuinely want to ensure her brother was alright. Obviously they had never been in a situation like this before, and with the limited freedom she had, she wanted to try and use it to make sure all was well.

However she did need to speak to Emmett, having tossed and turned most of the night as she devised a vision of a revolt. She needed to ensure she had his full backing on it, his blessing almost now, with both of their parents deceased. A siblings support was second to none, and Emmett has her back regardless of a situation, as she had his.

Carina raised her eyes from her lap as Sven continued, a sincere sadness within them. Her emotions may be genuine, and she had no qualms in using that truth to further her own gain. "It's okay, honestly... you don't need to explain," she assured him, a hand reaching across the table as if to rest on his that was also on the surface, but not quite reaching. "I have no fear left for what they could do to me... but I wouldn't wish to see any harm come to you because of something I wished for. I'm sure you're right... I'm sure Emmett is fine." She provided a smile, one that didn't quite reach her eyes and lowered her gaze again, retracting her hand.

Underneath her saddened facade, Carina was irked at his pathetic behaviour. How could he be so terrified of his own parents that he couldn't do as he wished, when he wished? She had to stop and wonder if this boy really was of Ignisi blood with the lack of fire in his belly. She wasn't sure what was worse - to be married to an overbearing brute of a man who displayed all the typically stupid Ignis-related characteristics... or to be married to a wet mop of a boy who showed his belly at every opportunity.

Carina perked up at his last, hesitant proposal, hands clasping together and resting against the table. "Really? Oh that would mean the world to me, Sven, truly. But I-I don't want you to do anything you're not comfortable with. I don't want anything to fall on your head should I be caught."

"I cannot, unfortunately, guarantee you too much time with your brother but I'm sure I can manage to... work out a way for you to spend a few minutes with him. You deserve to know he's okay, I understand that. If... I had a sliver of influence over my father, I would plead your brother's case and attempt to get him out from his imprisonment, but I... well, I can't do that while my parents are still in control. But I'm sure I can find you some time with him, it's better than no contact whatsoever," he nodded swiftly, stirring a cube of sugar into his coffee absently. It was a huge risk to go behind his father's back and offer Carina a crumb of comfort by interacting with her brother, even for a mere minute or two, but Sven was hardly bothered about his parents' reaction should they find out.

He had endured, over the course of his lifetime, a plethora of cruel insults and physical reprimands, a deep hatred reserved for the people he ought to have grown up loving more than anyone else in his life. Instead, he despised them and so going against them didn't riddle him with guilt or fear; he saw no reason to remain loyal to parents who gave him no reason to make that effort.

Besides, he could personally benefit from helping Carina out. He wasn't eager to do so just to secretly amuse himself in knowing he was betraying his parents, though that was part of his motivation. Mostly, he knew that he could help lull her further into that sense of security, cause her confidence to grow in her belief that he was a pushover. It was risky, instilling her with that belief in herself, but Sven wouldn't actively encourage it if he wasn't entirely sure that he would emerge in the end as the winner.

He wasn't brutish or brash like his father, whose unsubtlety was obvious. He was cunning and sly, willing to play the long game to achieve his desires.

"No, really, let me help you. My parents won't discover our plan, I'm sure of it. I doubt they'll even join us for breakfast, given the amount they drank last night, so... we could -and should- take advantage of that to give you time with Emmett. I want to help you, Carina; p-please don't worry so much. I... want to stand up for myself, to do something I want, like you told me to. And I want to help you."

"A few minutes is all I ask for," Carina said breathlessly, smiling softly and even working up a few tears of 'gratitude'. "I can go to his room, I-I'm more than happy for you or Natalie or even a guard to wait outside by the door. Whatever you feel most comfortable with, I understand this is a big ask and... and you understand I'll be in your debt." She added, reaching out across the table to lightly brush her fingertips against his, intent on bringing his attention back from the coffee and to her. It irked her to even say that she would be in his debt, but it was part of the game she played.

She had no intention of being in his debt for this. The moment everything came together for her plan, she would be forcing this quiet and reserved Prince to watch as she and her brother took the heads of his parents. Carina had already called in her mind for her to be to swing the sword that would sever King Sven's head from his shoulders. Sven then could have a little bracelet of his own, he could potentially be kept... he could light the fires in the winter...

Even if this Prince was doing all he could to help her, she owed him practically nothing. Leaving him alive to take the role of a servant would be payment enough. His service for his life. It wasn't a hard bargain. Not like the one that she was being forced to live. Her hand in marriage for her brother's life. If it was just her own, Carina wouldn't be behaving half as well as she had been. Of course it was a lot of fun seeing the frustration and fury on the King's and Queen's faces as she remained proper and polite... but if she had half a chance and half the power of her magic, she wouldn't be the proper, submissive little ice queen they believed her to be.

"Then... then perhaps we could go now. If they are still in bed and potentially not to rise for a while after the festivities of the night before..." Carina widened her eyes hopefully, "Could it be possible to see Emmett now?"

Carina did wonder what her father would have made of all this, if he had been able to witness it. She was never sure of when or if she ever did have his approval. The former King of Eira was the complete opposite to the King of Ignis. He had been a man of very few words, icy and detached, preferring to display his displeasure or fury with a silence that would always cause Carina's knees to tremble when she was younger and incapable of arguing back.

She wondered if he would be looking on with approval at his daughter's actions and intentions. A part of her hoped so, wanting to do him proud and bring honour back to the Eirian name.

"...I do believe we can, yes. Natalia will know where your brother is being kept. Again, I'm not party to that information," he responded slowly as he reluctantly set his half-full coffee aside. For once, he wasn't imbuing his remarks with lies; he genuinely had no idea where the girl's brother was being kept. He could only imagine that he wasn't witness to the same luxury that Carina was able to take in as the future bride to the Ignisian heir, so while he could hazard a guess, it was much more of a benefit to him if he was seen to have to rely on Natalia for that information.

To be seen as being so helpless and out of the loop that an adviser, one who had treated him with such disrespect, knew more than he did. It infuriated him that he was left out of business he felt he ought to be involved in, but it at least worked in his favour regarding his masquerade... no matter how many fires were ignited within him in disgust at the lack of respect he was given.

Even if he chose to present himself in a manner that irked his parents, he was still their son; still the heir of Ignis.

Evidently, even that wasn't enough to win him even a crumb of respect and common decency.

"Given we have to rely upon her for the information, it might be... ah... worthwhile not getting her name wrong. The less angry we make her, the better chance we have of seeing your brother before my parents stir from their slumbers, Carina. And Natalia will help us, I'm sure of it; it just might not go as smoothly as we desire if we both continue to irk her, however unintentional the upset I caused her was," the Prince continued as he stood gracefully from his chair, his shoulder hunched inwards uncomfortably and awkwardly in coordination with his generally poor presence. His eyes only lifted to take in Carina to offer across a smile, holding open the door from the dining room for her in a show of consideration.

"How did you sleep, by the way? I... hope you managed to get some hours rest and weren't too disturbed by the... raucous celebrations? I-- I can only apologise again for my parents' behaviour. I'd like to reassure you and say that they were affected by the occasion, but... I can't."

"Oh her name's Natalia. I'm so sorry, I completely misheard you earlier." Carina was prompt to apologise, despite being all too aware of her mistake. The woman had irked her, and even when she wasn't in the room, Carina wasn't entirely keen to provide any form of respect. But she supposed, if this adviser was the only way to her brother, then she would play nice. For now.

It frustrated her that they had to involve a third party to this visitation attempt. More people meant more risk, and Carina didn't like the idea of this unknown and unreliable variable being subject to the knowledge that she was secretly attempting to visit her brother. But it would have to do, otherwise what other way did she have? This boy of a man was useless to her in all reality. Perhaps she ought to stop wasting her time on him and try her luck seducing one of the guards instead.

No. As fun as that could be to do, she knew the Prince had a lot more to offer than some guard. He would be able to get this god-damned bracelet off her wrist to start with, when the time was right.

"Perhaps I should let you speak to her privately. She didn't seem very happy to see me this morning, and even less pleased upon realising where I'm from." She said softly, standing with him and moving to the door. She returned his smile, slipping past him gracefully and looking down either ends of the corridor. "I feel that perhaps it would be smarter for you to discuss this with her alone."

Carina grazed her fingers over the bracelet, thinking back to her night and provided a non-committal shrug in response, accompanied with a sheepish and hesitant smile. "My sleep was as well as it could be, thank you. I think there were a few guests stationed on my wing as I was woken by laughing and loud singing at intermittent periods throughout the night. As for your parents, you truly do not need to apologise again. It's nothing that I didn't prepare for considering the joyous occasion for them." She assured him politely, keeping herself poised and calm despite the anger that started to build within her again at the events of the evening. The comments and laughter at her expense.

At the reluctant name correction, Sven might have smiled appreciatively but he would have preferred to grin in amusement at the pettiness. Natalia was possibly one of the only people who understood that the display Sven presented to the world -the introverted, nervous reservation- was far from his true nature. She might not be fully aware of the depth of his deceits, but the time they shared together professionally or intimately had at least allowed her to gather somewhat of an understanding that he was manipulating most people into believing he was something he wasn't - and she accepted that. She didn't blurt that news to servants; didn't inform his parents in warning that their son might be plotting something to harm them. She dutifully kept silent because she loved him, and the least he could do in return for her loyalty was look out for her; to defend her when she was being belittled or undermined.

And him asking for her name to be respected might appear to fall under that and might indicate that, perhaps, Sven wasn't as cold or as disregarding to everyone as he liked to believe - but that wasn't the case. The only reason he was defending her was because he knew she would stubbornly refuse to assist Carina if she was continually disrespected. He was only choosing to offer up a defence of her to benefit himself, his actions entirely self-motivated and selfish in nature.

Natalia could love, cherish and protect him all she desired, but those weren't feelings he would ever reciprocate... hence his automatic feeling being one of amusement in regard to Carina's pettiness, rather than witness an intense desire to protect and defend the adviser who had only ever been loyal to him.

And given the amusement he derived from it, why deprive himself of the pleasure of the further amusement both women in the same room together would inevitably bring him?

"Oh, I think you really ought to come and talk to her with me," he began quietly, refusing to let her wriggle out of an interaction with Natalia not when he had no doubt that the unsubtle dislike between the women would bring him some hilarity to laugh about later on. "I... don't wish to make you uncomfortable, but I doubt she'll truly understand the necessity without you present, informing her how... important this is for you. I could certainly attempt to convince her myself, but-- it might take longer, and time is of the essence, I'm afraid."