Not Another Cinderella Story (lxngdon & MaryGold)

M A S O N
"Come again? 'We'?" Margot looked between Mason and Lainey. She didn't miss a beat.

"Yes. We as in plural. It was a mutual decision."
Mason said, making it so that it was precise.

He held her hand tightly but not so much as to her hurt her. He simply needed to hold on to something, to her because it would be less easygoing for everyone else in the room as well. He knew for a fact that not everyone would be happy with their decision, his sister, for example. However, if he was able to at least have her father's agreement and approval then they could work their way into getting the rest to side with them too.

Margot seemed to be at a lost for words and he was sure it was more from her being upset than surprised. "I'm sorry, but are you sure that's the best decision? Having a baby is a huge responsibility and I don't think neither of you are ready to be parents."

"I understand that you're worried. You don't have to be, we'll figure it out just like every first time parents."

"Mason. That is not your responsibility."

l a i n e y
The news received mixed reactions from Lainey's own family. Her father looked shocked and Piper looked a mix between concerned and elated. Vasily was the only one showing any negative emotion, and that was suspicion, suspicioun directed to Mason only.

But Lainey didn't have any time to say anything else as Margot had already swooped in.

Lainey kept her eyes glued to the floor as Margot argued exactly what Lainey had thought she would say -- this wasn't Mason's responsibility. She knew that, of course. The thought had crossed Lainey's own mind many times before this meeting and she had accepted it as fact. This baby wasn't biologically Mason's child, and there was no way to change that. Harper was biologically Harrison's child.

But Harrison would never even see Harper. Harrison would have no role in Harper's life. Harrison was not capable of being a father.

Mason was.

"Lainey."

Lainey looked up at her father, who was leaning forward with concern in his eyes. Lainey's eyes. Lainey hoped her son inherited Royce's eyes.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" Royce asked gently.

Lainey nodded, once, in a firm manner. "I've never been more sure of anything in my entire life, Papa, I want to keep my baby." Her hand clasped around Mason's a little tighter. "Our baby."

Royce could tell how determined his daughter was and how sure she was of her boyfriend. He gave Mason a wary look, and nodded.

"Then you both have my support."

M A S O N
Mason felt like he was truly able to breath for the first time since they all had arrived. Royce Applewhite, Lainey's father had lent them his full support and nothing was so satisfying and joyful in that moment to Mason. One goal had been accomplished and he hadn't needed to do any convincing. It was so delicious refreshing he was able to smile.

Of course, there was still negativity floating around in the tense atmosphere. He could feel it coming from Vasily and practically see it rolling off of Margot, she was radiating in it. Clearly, she didn't approve nor did she like it, he wasn't sure if she even liked Lainey. But she kept staring holes into her younger brother's head.

It saddened him, but he brushed it off for the moment and decided to bask in the little joy he was feeling.

"Thank you. That means a lot to us. And for Harper." He smiled happily. "I'll be sure to make have both Harper and Lainey living happy and comfortably."

"So it's a boy?" Margot asked tiredly, running her fingers through her golden long curls.

"Yeah, we found out a few weeks ago."

l a i n e y
Lainey could practically feel the weight be lifted off her chest when her father asserted that he supported her decision, and, importantly, supported Mason. That was all she had wanted and needed out of this meeting, and now that it had been confirmed, she was able to fully relax for the first time since any of them had arrived. She leaned back into the sofa, closed her eyes for a moment and squeezed Mason's hand. Everything was okay.

"Thank you, Papa," she murmured, opening her eyes and smiling at her father.

"Don't mention it." Royce waved off her thanks and reached over to squeeze her free hand. "I'm just happy to see you happy. It's been far too long."

Piper murmured in agreement and Vasily nodded firmly, though he was still staring suspiciously at Mason. Both of the Applewhite siblings knew that Lainey hadn't been happy between the death of Tristan and the end of her tennis career, and when she had met Mason. So even if they were worried for her, they were glad that she was happy.

Lainey turned to look at Mason's sister, who obviously meant a lot to her boyfriend, as she knew how strong the bond between siblings was most of the time. She didn't want to do anything that would upset Margot, and thus by extension Mason, but at the same time, she didn't want to lose her boyfriend. The father of her baby.

"I'm not sure what I can say, but if it reassures you, this wasn't just a spur of the moment decision," she said. "We put a lot of thought into it." And that wasn't a lie -- they had both thought about keeping the baby before she had even presented the idea to Mason. "This is something we both want."

It was something Lainey wanted more than anything.

M A S O N
"I can understand you wanting to keep your child, I am a mother myself," Margot responded, almost shaking her head. "But I just can not simply go along with the idea of my brother fathering it."

"Marge -"

"Maybe it wouldn't matter as much if Mason wasn't a celebrity, people are going to know it's not his and then your kid will as well."

"I guess we'll deal with that when the issue arises." Mason sighed. "Look, I just want you're support. It would mean everything to me." And he meant every bit of it, before he had first experienced romantic love Margot was the one person he loved most in the world. Even in a lot of his past relationshios she had.

Margot frowned, unable to keep her neutral face any longer. She set Jess off of her lap so that she was standing and grabbed her daughter s hand before taking a stand too. Under normal circumstances she wouldn't be one to walk away from any argument unresolved, but she couldn't say all that she wanted for a multiple of reasons. Two of them being because of Lainey in her family.

"I know it would, but I'm not ready to give it. I'm sorry, we'll talk later. Come on, Jellybean, mommy has other business today." She reached her hand out to Jenn who whined sadly and obeyed her mother by taking her hand. "We'll see what dad says."

Mason grimaced at the mention of his father, a judge of the high court. He didn't care too much or at all what that man thought, they weren't on friendly terms anyway. He seriously doubted the man would care either way.

In spite of being completely and utterly rejected, Mason offered to walk his sister out.

l a i n e y
As quickly as Lainey had been elated, she deflated when she realised that Margot wasn't going to give her blessing or support to her brother and his pregnant girlfriend. She watched in dismay as Mason stood up to walk his sister and his nieces out, not protesting when he left her alone with her family. Maybe that was best, if they both talked to their families in private.

When Mason was gone, Lainey turned to her own family, her distress obvious on her face. "Why can't anything work out for me?" she murmured to her siblings and her father.

"Hey," Piper crooned softly, rubbing Lainey's arms with her hands. "It's fine. She'll come around."

"Are you sure you're making the right decision?"

Lainey and Piper looked up at Vasily when he spoke. "I mean, he's not the father. Harrison is. So how do you know he's not going to bail on you if it gets too tough?" he asked, just as Mason came back, though no one noticed his return right away.

Lainey looked at her brother in disgust. "How could you say something like that? Mason's the best thing that's ever happened to me --"

"But he isn't the father."

M A S O N
"No, I guess I'm not his father biologically." Mason interjected, wearing a thoughtful look. He'd admit to that and he didn't honestly care who knee that even they believed it was a huge problem. And maybe it was a problem, not just for them but for he and Lainey also. So, he found all their doubts and fears completely understandable. Still ...

"But as long as Lainey wants me to, I'll be his dad. Not every family is made from from blood. Besides, if I'm not the type to bail." Which was the absolute truth. His sister and Ted called it the most stupid loyalty because the most obvious display of it was his relationship with Karoline. Meaning he practically was a pup, despite being kicked and hurt he was still loyal. He found nothing wrong with this trait, he just had needed to find the right person to apply it with. And he did.

He took his spot next to Lainey's other side and leaned back in his seat. "Besides, every kid deserves and needs both parents in their life."

Mason no longer had his mother since she had left when he was but a boy and his father rarely ever spent time with him. He still had Margot and she cared and loved him but it was still painful and lonely not to receive the love from his actual parents. And poor Harper's father was a complete fucker and he deserved better.

l a i n e y
Lainey jumped when she heard Mason's voice and the first thing she thought was that this wasn't going to end well, since Vasily probably offended Mason or hurt his feelings. She wouldn't be surprised if her boyfriend kicked her brother out. And she wouldn't necessarily be mad at him, because Vasily's statement had royally pissed Lainey off, too.

But, no, Mason didn't seem to be too mad at the only Applewhite son, so Lainey was able to relax a little bit when Mason came back to sit with her. She put a hand over her stomach where Harper seemed to be resting -- or, well, he wasn't kicking as much as he usually was. Sometimes she'd wake up in the middle of the night because of her active little angel, but she didn't mind most of the time. She thought it was endearing.

Vasily pursed his lips, crossed his muscled arms over his chest and leaned back on the sofa. "Whether or not you're the father isn't the point -- the point is that if you're not the biological father you're more likely to walk out on her."

"Bullshit," Lainey snapped. Royce tsked at her swearing. "Harrison only gave a shit at all because he can't handle it when people touch his things. That's why he even dated me at all after Tristan, because he couldn't handle that his brother had something he didn't, and that's why he came back for me when he found out I was pregnant, because he thinks my baby belongs to him. My baby does not belong to him. Mason's the father."

Vasily was silent after Lainey's little rant. She hadn't mentioned Harrison that much in one sitting for a long time, but she needed to express how she was feeling to her family so they could understand.

"Harrison will never even see my baby -- no." She gripped Mason's hand firmly. "Our baby. He will never even see our baby, because he has no claim to him, and if you think just because he's the biological father he has any sort of right in this situation, you can fuck off out of my life and never come back."

Piper closed her eyes and Royce sighed. Lainey ignored them both, stood up and left the room before she said anything else hurtful and cruel to her brother. She went into the kitchen to pour herself a glass of chocolate milk, since she was craving it.

M A S O N
Mason watched as Lainey left the room into the kitchen after the bit of turmoil she had causes amongst her family. He rubbed the back of his neck, closing his eyes briefly and focused on breathing. It was stressful and stress lead to anxiety which he had a lot of all of the time even when it wasn't a lot, it took over the most simple activities in life sometimes and anytime. But he tried his hardest not to let it show because he didn't need to get upset and cause her family to have more concern.

He knew things weren't going to fly straight in the direction they hoped and wished for but at the very least it wasn't going on as the worst case scenario. That's what he told himself anyway to keep him cheered up and calm and it helped a little. After all, they really did have her father's support and that was most important of all.

"I'm sorry," he apologized despite not knowing if it was necessary or if he even should. "I'll be a moment ... "

Mason followed in Lainey's footsteps into the kitchen and leaned against the bench. "I think you may have laid on a bit thick."

Truthfully, the blonde singer didn't want to see them fight and Lainey's words were a little too harsh. She would come to regret them if he really did stop communicating with her, though, she had got her point across.

l a i n e y
"I know," Lainey said in a quiet sigh.

She set the glass down on the bench and turned to Mason, looking up at him once before turning her gaze down to the floor. She was embarrassed because she had sort of exploded and lost her temper in front of her boyfriend, and she felt guilty, because she had scolded her older brother when all Vasily ever wanted was for her to be happy. He was a really, really good brother.

"It's just ... I know that you're going to be an amazing father," she said to Mason, her voice thick with the tears threatening to brim over. She walked over to Mason, carefully wrapped her arms around his middle and leaned her head against his chest. She felt safe and comfortable in his embrace, which was more than what she could say for how she had felt with Harrison.

"So I want him and everyone else to at least give you a proper chance before they judge you." That was extended to his sister also. "I love you so, so much, Mason, and I don't want you to feel like you're being persecuted by my family when all you're doing is trying to take care of us."

As if on cue, Harper made his presence known by gently nudging Lainey's belly from the inside, the side that was pressed to Mason's stomach. Their son. Their beautiful baby boy who Lainey couldn't wait to meet.

M A S O N
Mason managed to smile softly when feeling Harper's kick. He put his as around Lainey and squeezed tightly briefly. It was wonderful to have a sturdy comfort such as her in his life. He had grown close to her in the short time they had known each other and even more so when they pursued a relationship. And they hadn't been dating too linh but here they were already deciding to have a baby.

He could understand their families concern. If he was in their shoes he'd probably feel the same. But this was what they wanted and so they would make it work. Besides, once Harper was born he was sure it would change some minds. It was wishful thinking, but, who didn't like babies?

"I love you," he set his chin a top of he head before kissing it. "I don't think I told you that today. I love you."

Slowly and reluctantly, he pulled back and kissed her cheek and tip of her nose. She was so beautiful and cute he could pepper her with kisses on that moment. Her family was in the other room so he refrained from doing so.

"You should go and apologize to your brother." He kissed her forehead.

l a i n e y
"I love you, too," Lainey murmured. That was the only thing she was a hundred percent certain of -- she loved Mason, and she loved their child, their beautiful son who was peacefully curled in her womb. She knew that Mason would be an absolutely amazing and wonderful father. She had no doubt in her mind that Mason would do everything in his power to make them happy.

"I know," she sighed. She needed to apologise to Vasily, another male who just wanted the best for her. One of the few consistent people in her life. Lainey didn't want to lose him, not now and not ever.

So, she pulled Mason back into the living room, where her siblings and her father were quietly talking. They stopped when the young couple came back into the room, which just confirmed Lainey's theory that they had been talking about herself and her boyfriend.

"I'm sorry," she said to Vasily, who gave a soft sigh. "I know you only want the best for me. But you need to give Mason a chance."

Vasily looked up at Mason, then at his father, and finally back at Lainey. "I know, and I'm sorry, too. I know it doesn't mean anything that it's not his kid. I just got caught up in the moment -- I don't want you to get hurt again."

M A S O N
"And neither do I."

In relationships it was inevitable not to get hurt sometimes because love consisted if many things. The hurt sometimes inflicted was never intentional, though. So, he'd never try to hurt her and he was incapable of hurting her the same way Harrison had. That type of never came from love it was just disgusting cruelty and selfishness.

Mason often wondered how he was able to get someone as amazing as Lainey to be his girlfriend.

"If by some absurd and out the normal reason I do, I'll give you full permission to kick my ass." He was serious, never had been more so.

He was going to do his best being both a good boyfriend and father, the type that Lainey and Harper deserved. He was trying hard to get himself together even though it was painful, he worked through the pain. He knew it would all be worth it in the end.

l a i n e y
"I wouldn't ask for your permission," Vasily grumbled, scowling over his mug as he sipped his tea, but that seemed to be it for him. He didn't seem to have any other statements to make, so he left it there, and Lainey was glad. She was with her boyfriend, her family and her unborn child for the first time, and so, she wanted to enjoy that.

A few more hours passed. The small group of people talked, Lainey and Mason told the others of their plans. They ate dinner, drank tea, played a board game, and the Applewhites just got to know Mason Wagner as Lainey's boyfriend and not as the famed musician with millions of fans across the world. Just as a person.

"I like you," Royce said to Mason pleasantly at the door as the Applewhites went to leave. He shook the young male's hand and clapped him on the shoulder. "Take care of my baby girl. We'll come back when Harper's born, that's around the end of the next tournament, okay, sweetie?"

"Okay, Papa," Lainey said softly, hugging each of her family members before waving them goodbye. Once they had gone, she turned to Mason, wrapped her arms around his middle and kissed him on the lips, softly but passionately.

"That went well."

M A S O N
Mason put his arms around his girlfriend's small frame and exhaled deeply through his nose. "Yes, it did go a lot better than I hoped for." Not what he had wished for but hoped for, and that was still splendidly good. There were no complaints coming from on this matter, he had enough stressful issues as there was and he wasn't going to add anymore to his list.

He held Lainey a little longer before releasing her from his hold and looking at the clock above the wall. It was only thirty minutes til ten. Time had flew right on by with the distraction of the company they had over. Mason had enjoyed himself and he was largely happy that Lainey had got to spend time with her family.

"I'll run you a hot bath, we should go to bed afterward,"
He took her hand and led her up the stairs into their master bedroom. He dropped her hand and headed into their bathroom to start the bath, sprinkling salts and essential oils with wonderful fragrances to mix.

l a i n e y
Of course, Lainey was still slightly worried that Margot would never come around, but she was in an otherwise good mood so she wasn't going to let this one worry drag her down. She happily followed Mason upstairs to the bedroom which she had grown accustomed to calling her own, and while Mason was running the bath, Lainey changed into a simple bikini and threw her dressing gown over the top.

"Come in with me?" she requested of Mason, putting her hand on his back as she came up behind him so as to not startle him. Already, the aromas coming from the bath were incredibly pleasant and she knew that the experience would be a relaxing one.

Since she was out of Harrison's grasp Lainey's stress levels had been significantly decreased, but, of course, she was still pregnant and had other stresses added onto that. And, of course, Mason had his own list of problems and responsibilities to deal with. Harper was another responsibility added to the top of the list but Lainey knew that Mason wouldn't trade him for the world, and neither would she.

"You need it as much as I do," she continued, referencing the relaxation that was sure to come from the bath and the products Mason had added.

M A S O N
Mason rubbed the back of his neck at her request thoughtfully. It was true that he needed just as much if not more. The entire he was stocked with these bath products was because if his anxiety issue that interrupted his daily life. However, he was getting somewhat better at hiding and working through it.

"I don't know, maybe," he pondered carefully, shifting his line of sight onto her. "I had planned on going downstairs to work a little."

As of late he hadn't been working too much on his music with everything else that was going on. And he knew for a fact it would be worse so when Harper was actually born. Newborn babies required a lot of care and took a team of two to care for them. And he wouldn't shove all the work in Lainey, she'd probably pull her out from the stress. Or he would. Even thinking about it now made him tense and stiff

"Okay, maybe I'll join you for a little bit, then I'll go." He leaned over and turned the valve off once the water level was at a perfect height and the foamy bubbles reached the top. He left the room only to change into his black swimming and returned shortly after to dip into the large square bathtub, with Lainey. It had the space to fit four to five people in it.

l a i n e y

Once Mason returned, Lainey shed her dressing gown, leaving her in her bikini and revealing her swollen stomach. This wasn't the first time Mason had seen her at this level of undress -- they shared a room, after all -- but they hadn't seen each other naked and they hadn't slept together, on account of her still being pregnant. Though, she didn't mind. She didn't mind waiting for anything when it came to Mason.

She sunk into the water, which obscured her body to her neck, and let out a deep sigh as the hot water met her tense and tired muscles and immediately worked to relax them. She had put her hair up in a bun so it didn't get wet, and Lainey leaned her head against Mason's shoulder, finding solace in his touch as well as his company.

"This is nice," she murmured, carefully locating his hand under the water and linking their fingers together. She turned around to take a lighter off the edge of the bath and light one of the creme brûlée candles she had placed around the house. Lainey was a fan of sweet scents, rather than sharp ones, and this affinity was evident in her choice of candles, perfume, deodorant and shampoo.

She looked up at Mason and kissed him on the cheek. "I love you so much." She could never say that enough.

M A S O N
Mason sat next to the edge of the bathtub with his arms folded on top of the rim. He rested his chin atop of his arms, closing his eyes letting the aromatherapy bath wash over his tight muscles and loosen him up. His attitude had improved along with it.

A small smile came to his face when the touch of Lainey's lips reached his cheek. He turned his head on its side and looked back at her tenderly. "I love you too." He replied, moving his arm from underneath his head that it cushioned and brushed away loose wet strands of hair from her face gently.

"I think we should go public with our relationship after Harper's born."
He had been thinking about it for a while but only after meeting wth his sister again did he decide to do it soon. Enough time had passed since Karoline and he had broken up and he didn't want to hide Lainey or Harper. He didn't like keeping such massive things that would be sure to pack a punch when it got revealed.

Lainey lived with him no, so, if paparazzi happened to be waiting around and spotted her it would raise questions. And he was sure his fans would be more tolerate of the situation with Harper after he was born instead while she was pregnant. Of course, there would always be those few who were suspicious of Lainey and have other negative thoughts of her.

He honestly wasn't too sure how she would be able to take all of it.

l a i n e y

Lainey looked up at Mason as he put forth his idea with an intrigued expression. Of course, this had been something that had played on her mind for a while. She had been dating Mason for months now and they had yet to reveal themselves to the public. Of course, they had had a good reason to do so -- Harper. Lainey didn't need the stress of being thrust into the limelight added onto the stress of being pregnant.

But she knew that she would have to step into public attention eventually, and so would her son. She didn't have an issue with this -- she knew, when she had started to date Mason, that she would have to step into celebrity life eventually. She had long accepted this but that didn't make it any less nerve-wracking.

"I agree," she said, wriggling a little closer to Mason so she could wrap him in a hug and kiss him on the soft lips this time. It was a slow and tender kiss, the kind that left you wanting more. And she did want more. She craved Mason, she craved every fibre of his being and she wanted to be close and intimate with him, more than she had wanted anything for a while. She loved him so, so much, and she wanted to show him that.