Not Another Cinderella Story (lxngdon & MaryGold)

M A S O N
"Lainey, I'm not going to leave you. I sort of already knew." Mason admitted gently. He reached for her face and pried her hands away from it. And he did know, it wasn't something one could hide so easily and he had always been good at reading people.

The idea of him leaving her was crazy talk. He didn't care what happened between them, he could never simply walk out on her. No, he felt too strongly for her to do that. He could never do that, especially seeing her now, already broken at the idea of him dumping her.

"I don't know if I can raise your child, or if I'm even father material." It was all a mess really. He had issues of his own to work that he was sure some of them were not to be exposed to any child. And he didn't want to hurt Lainey or the child growing inside her. "But, I am sure of one thing. I love and I will support and help the decisions you make."

He leaned in to kiss her lips tenderly. "If it's your kid, then I'll love it no doubt." That was another thing he was certain of.

l a i n e y
"You ..."

Lainey couldn't believe her ears. She looked at Mason with a clearly shocked expression on her face as he told her his feelings, told her that he would love her child regardless of his or her true father. That he would love her always and support her through whatever decision she made.

That he'd be a father.

Lainey burst into tears but they were happy tears, and also ones fuelled by the emotions she was feeling towards the topic. She threw her arms around Mason and pulled him as close as possible, which caused her bump to press against his stomach but she didn't care. She just let it happen.

"I love you so much," she murmured, burying her face in his neck and holding him tightly. "You'd really do that? You'd really be a father to my baby?"

M A S O N
"Like I said, I don't know if I would be a good one." The singer smiled, shrugging his shoulders in a gawky gesture. Nonetheless, this was something he was sure of. It was given and she didn't even have to ask. He'd do anything for her. "But, yes." He assured her, nodding his head.

He wrapped his arms around her waist, being so close to her already he had no need to pull her closer. "I'll obviously need to get my shit together, but I'll try to do my best." That was all he could do, but if it would help Lainey, he would do it without a second's thought.

He caressed her face in his hands and brushed away her tears with his thumbs. He was only happy they were tears of happiness, the last time he had seen her cry was that of misery. It was something that made him feel warm, that he could make her this happy.​

l a i n e y

Lainey let out a teary chuckle. "Don't worry, I need to sort my shit out, too," she admitted with a small smile, burying her face in his shoulder and inhaling the lovely scent of his cologne that she had grown accustomed to after the last few months. It was a pleasant scent and it made her feel at home.

"I'm so happy."

And she was. After years of sadness and despair and being constantly afraid, after months and months of twists and turns and sharp bends in the road, Lainey Freya Applewhite was totally and completely happy. In fact, she could hardly believe she was ever any other way.

Lainey pulled back to kiss Mason on the lips in a soft and loving motion. She couldn't understand what she had done to deserve such an amazing, loving, caring boyfriend who did so much for her. She was so glad she'd been in that shitty club that night.

Her baby -- their baby -- kicked in her belly, and since they were so close he would have been able to feel it, too. "I think they like you," Lainey murmured with a small grin.

M A S O N
"So, I've noticed." Masons laughed softly, a joyous and merry melody. He reached out to touch the top of her belly and rubbed it gently, feeling the child inside move. He had no reservations against being in any contact with the unborn baby anymore. There was no reason to stay distant.

"That's it,"
He said decidedly, sliding his hands down, holding her hips and giving them a little squeeze. "We cannot keep calling this baby anymore "they" any longer. You're far along enough to get a gender, and we need to think of a name and prepare a room."

The responsibility if it all had crashed and dawned onto him at once. There was so much that needed to be done besides getting his act together. He needed to get his life and home prepared for the baby. What would he tell his fans? What room should the nursery? What would he tell his family?

Speaking of family.

"Oh, yeah. My sister is coming to visit in a few days."
What better time then to her when she arrived? Even if she was a little mad. "Maybe we can have your father and brother over the same day and explain everything."

l a i n e y

Lainey hadn't even thought about names yet. Sure, like every woman, she had fantasised about having beautiful little babies and what they would be called, but this was serious now. This was the real deal and she had a partner to discuss this name with. As well as a lot of other things.

It was a huge responsibility but that didn't come as a surprise to anyone. This was a baby, after all, a miniature human they would be caring for for many years to come. And she was excited for it.

But ... family?

What the hell was Mason going to say to his sister? This wasn't his child, and she was most likely going to be confused and protective. And her father. She had told him of her pregnancy but did not know how he was going to react to knowing that she was going to keep it. Vasily was going to be pissed.

"I'll call them," she said anyway. "They're in America but they have a week or so until the next tournament, which is in France so they should be able to come." Lainey put her hands over Mason's on her hips as the baby rolled in her womb. He or she was very active.

"I have an ultrasound tomorrow," she reminded him. "We can find out the gender then if you want to come."

M A S O N
Frankly, he wasn't really scared of Vasily despite the other man having a ton more muscles than him. He was more afraid of what her father would think because his opinion would matter. And, though, he knew thus would make a lit of people upset and confused, he was going to go through with it anyway.

"Well, I have to come now."
Mason licked his bottom lip, mentally checking a day off for the appointment. He shifted in his seat, realizing he would also have to change his schedule and talk to Ted. Luckily, out if all the people he'd have to tell about the gigantic addition in his life, his best friend would be the most accepting and understanding.

"What day is the appointment?"

She was six moths along and had just agreed to father her child - their child, but he was already shifting into the father mode as best he could. And it was peculiarly natural. He'd have to mark off the important appointment days on his calendar and more.

l a i n e y
"Tomorrow," Lainey informed him. "Wednesday." She had had a few ultrasounds before but nothing major -- just making sure the baby, whose gender she had vehemently declined learning, was growing and developing safely. She had a couple of sonograms in her room that she had been planning to give to the child's adoptive parents, but now, she would be keeping them for their own pleasure. Hers and Mason's.

A timer went off and Lainey carefully stood up and went into the kitchen to get dinner out of the oven, which consisted of lamb ribs and fried potatoes. She dished out servings for the both of them and sat at the bench with Mason.

Lainey was scared, of course, for the future of herself and her child and her boyfriend but she knew Mason would take care of her and she was happy. So, so happy. She manoeuvred her fork with one hand and held Mason's with the other.

"Do you want a girl or a boy?" Lainey had never had a preference. She would be happy with either, a prince or a princess, as long as he or she was happy and healthy and theirs.

M A S O N
"I don't know, I'd be content with either."

Boy or girl? It had never crossed his mind until now. And still, he couldn't have any hopes it would be a particular sex. Babies, children, he had never thought that he would have any of his own, and he had never truly wished for it despite his likely towards then. The way he was, the position he was in, it didn't seem possible that he'd get a real family of his own.

When he was dating Karoline, he never bothered to think about it, nor did he with his other exes. But here he was now, talking about having a baby with Lainey. It was exciting as much as it was terrifying. Biologically it wasn't his, and that was a little strange, but he was happy nonetheless. Nothing about the situation was simple except the joy he felt.

"Either way, they'll be living like royalty,"
Casually said Mason, shoving a fork of food into his mouth.

Yes, he had every intention of spoiling this child for his own joy and it's joy. He loved hiving things to people, and children most if all. Their reactions were priceless and they were adorable. His nieces were spoiled themselves thanks to his large involvement in their lives.

l a i n e y
"Don't spoil them too much," Lainey joked, nudging Mason with her shoulder, though she wouldn't object to the occasional splurge on their child. Lainey had grown up with next to nothing and she didn't want that for her baby. She was lucky that this baby's father would be able to provide for them both, like Harrison never would have been able to do.

But she couldn't think of Harrison. She was too happy.

The next day, Lainey and Mason travelled to the clinic to undergo the ultrasound that would inform them of the sex of their child. She signed in and was lead into a sterile room, where a squat Asian lady was preparing the equipment. She directed Lainey to the chair, and Lainey hiked up her top and shivered slightly as the lady smeared the cool gel over her belly.

"This is your first child, yes?" the lady, whose name was Dr Lee, asked Lainey in a British accent.

"Yes."

"Lovely. Would you like to know the gender?"

Lainey glanced at Mason. "Yes please."

Dr Lee put the wand on Lainey's belly and moved it around until they got a clear image. "Congratulations, you're having a little boy."

M A S O N
As Mason had said earlier, he would be content with either a baby girl or baby boy. But now, knowing it's actual gender, he couldn't imagine being anything else. It was a boy. They were going to have a baby boy and it was so perfect. Again, he was excited and terrified at once, his stomach had did a flip because if his clashing feelings.

He was going to a father to a boy. He himself never had the full experience of having a father because his own was rarely ever around, even now while he was grown. There was so many things he hadn't learned from his own father. Things he had to learn on his own it by others. And this child child was not going g to have to experience same thing as him or Lainey, he wanted to make sure of it. He was going to have two parents even if one of them wasn't blood related.

He stared at the image displayed on the screen where the boy was floating peacefully in his mother's womb, completely unaware of the excitement band turmoil he was causing everyone to feel. Mason loved him and he didn't even know him yet. And that was an amazing feeling in itself. Something he was not able to describe in words.

"And he's all healthy? No complications or defects or anything like that?"
He asked, leaning over slightly and wearing a worried expression.

l a i n e y
Lainey was transfixed by the image on the screen, the one that depicted her child. Their child. She reached out for Mason and took his hand in her own as she smiled at the boy on the screen, curled up without a care in the world. Now, looking at her son, it was difficult for Lainey to understand how she had ever wanted to give him away.

"Everything is fine," Dr Lee assured the concerned father as she moved the wand around on Lainey's belly to show different angles of the child. Lainey put her hand on the top of her stomach, and watched as the baby kicked. It was miraculous that she could feel her son's leg fly out and watch it at the same time.

"You're about six months along, yes?"

"Yes."

"The baby is coming along quite fine. A good size, good development, no complications. You're carrying a healthy baby boy."

Lainey smiled and gave a teary chuckle -- she was emotional, but happy. So happy. She was having a perfect baby boy with her perfect boyfriend who was going to do whatever he could to take care of their son. She had never felt more blessed.

Once Lainey was all cleaned up and they had received the sonogram in an envelope, Lainey held Mason's hand as they walked out to the car. She was still smiling. "I'm so happy."

M A S O N
"As you should be," Mason chuckled a soft and sweet chuckle. He, too, was obviously just as happy, if not more. It felt extremely abnormal that he only agreed to be a father just a day ago, he already felt so connected and excited for the baby. And maybe that was because despite his distance toward it, he had already grew to like and accept it.

"Here." He helped into the car, making sure her head didn't hit the top of the inside of the vehicle. He buckled her in, closed her door and did the same for himself.

"Now that we know the gender, we should really start planning ahead."
He told her as a matter-of-fact, starting the ignition and pulling off. "And starting with the name." In which he was completely clueless to what. Ultimately, it was Lainey's choice.

"Also what are you in the mood to eat?"
She had been cooking an awful lot, if not all the time, since she moved in. No doubt, her food was good otherwise he would have been whining, but everyone needed a break and it wasn't her job.

l a i n e y
Lainey allowed Mason to help her in, she'd be lying if she said that she didn't appreciate the special treatment. She rested her hands over her swollen belly and turned her head to smile at Mason as her wonderful boyfriend started up the car. She could not have wished for a better father to her child. It didn't matter that he wasn't the father biologically.

"Um ... Mexican food?" she offered once she had determined what she was craving. Her cravings changed quite frequently, but that was only to be expected. She sipped the water bottle from her purse as Mason drove.

"Names, names, names," Lainey murmured. She had been thinking about that particular topic a little since their discussion the day before, and she had narrowed her choices down to a few names per gender, though, of course, the female names were not needed anymore.

"So, I was thinking Elliot, Harper or Carson," she said, looking to Mason to see what he thought about the options she presented. "Unless you had any other ideas ...?"

M A S O N
"I like Harper," Mason chirped instantly, not thinking it over for a second. Maybe he should have backtracked and thought it over for a little while. After all, this kid would be stuck with the name they gave him for the rest of his life. But, he really did like the name Harper. It was somehow perfect for the baby he had saw on the screen today.

"He looks like a Harper."
He glanced at her once, but kept both hands on the wheel. He only truly looked at her after he pulled to a stop at the stoplight. Licking his bottom lip, he went on. "I do like Elliot too, but, Harper should be his first name I think."

When it came to names, he surprisingly not the best at it. It wasn't the same for naming a song you write, it was more important when it came to babies. But he was sure of that one name and wanted to make sure she knew.
"I can't think of any better names than the ones you've brought up."

"Oh, please, Lainey! Let's me him, Harper, huh? I'll love you forever, and so will he. Guaranteed."
He begged, pouting childishly.

l a i n e y
Lainey chuckled at Mason's enthusiasm about the particular name. She had liked it a lot even before she had suggested it, but now that Mason was expressing how much he adored it, it was difficult to believe she had even considered another name. "Harper Elliot Wagner," she murmured, smiling to herself. "I love it."

Of course, they hadn't explicitly discussed the baby's surname but they didn't need to -- it was a given that their son would have his father's name. And Mason was the father -- as far as Lainey was concerned, Harrison would never see her child. He did not have the right to.

Once they had reached the Mexican restaurant Lainey got out and they claimed a private booth so they could have some alone time. It was odd to her that she was dating such a famous person but she didn't consider him just a celebrity, she considered him her boyfriend and the man she loved. That was more than she could say for Karoline, when they had been dating.

"So when do I get to meet Teddy?" she asked. It occurred to her that she hadn't met Mason's musical partner, probably because they were all so busy all the time and when Lainey wasn't busy, she was sleeping because pregnancy was tiring.

M A S O N
"Teddy?" Mason looked up from the menu he laid out on the table on front of him. He hadn't, not even for a moment, forget to introduce the woman he loved to his best friend. He had only been able to tell him all about her. Everything was sort of messy between work and her own stress with being pregnant but he did want them to meet.

He leaned back in his seat, shrugging his shoulder. "Whenever you want. We could even see him today." If Mason wasn't working, he sure as hell wasn't. Of course, most thought he worked harder than the blonde singer because he was less carefree. To be completely honest, Mason carried the majority of the load.

"He should be free. He's not working and the guy doesn't have a girlfriend or anything. So, we could grace him with our amazing company."
He told her and meant every bit of it. Just as much as Teddy knew him, Mason knew him just as much to the point it was practically ESP.

l a i n e y
"I'd like to meet him," said Lainey. It was hard to believe that she hadn't even met the best friend of the future father of her child. The man that would probably be like an uncle to their baby. How could she not have pressed for a meeting sooner? They were all very busy, that was why.

When the waitress came to take their orders, Lainey ordered ceviche, sweet potato fries and a glass of Coke. She was hungry, and she was craving, which was normal for a woman of her condition. She wasn't complaining, however, since Mason made sure to take care of her every need. She didn't deserve him, but she felt blessed to be in his care.

"We could go after lunch," Lainey suggested, playfully nudging Mason's foot under the table with her own. She laid her hand over her swollen belly and felt little Harper kick inside her womb. She smiled. "I think Harper wants to meet him, too."

M A S O N
Mason returned her smile happily. "A good thing too, he may very well be his godfather." He chuckled lightly and sipped from his iced glass of water. He did want him to be the godfather if Lainey wouldn't mind and his best mate would agree. He hoped he would, he couldn't think of anyone better for the position. Out of everyone he mentioned the situation to, he was the most accepting.

Probably because he was used to Mason's abnormal and often silly ideas.

"That kid is clearly going to be full of energy."
He commented on Harper's constant movement and kicks. "It already feels like we may have a hard time keeping up with him." Mason folded his fajitas so they took the form of a taco. He was happy to have something spicy to eat, he was not carrying a child but he was craving and hungry.

"Anyway, I think you and Ted will get along well." Then again, he'd be happy with literally anyone that wasn't Karoline. And it wasn't something that Mason could blame him for. "Karoline and him didn't mix well. He'll probably just be happy it isn't her walking through his door." He shrugged his shoulders.

l a i n e y
As soon as their food arrived, Lainey practically began to scarf it down, spearing prawns and the other ceviche elements onto her fork and popping it into her mouth. She moaned in content when the delicious flavours touched her tongue, because she had been craving this badly, and also absolutely starving. Pregnancy, among many other things, made her incredibly hungry so she was grateful for the food.

"I hope I get along with him," said Lainey. She didn't want to cause a rift between her boyfriend and his best friend, that would be horrible, and she would never forgive herself if she did that. She just wanted Mason to be happy, and Teddy was a huge part of his life so he needed to be there. Also, she absolutely wanted to be better than Karoline.

"Does he know about ...?" Lainey gestured to her swollen belly. She was a tiny woman, very short and very thin, so her bump wasn't that big, but it was definitely there and only an idiot wouldn't be able to recognise her appearance as that of a pregnant lady. She doubted Mason had kept this huge chunk of their relationship from his best friend, but she still wanted to make sure to avoid any confusion and awkwardness.