Not Another Cinderella Story (lxngdon & MaryGold)

M A S O N
"Your pregnancy?" Mason questioned aloud. He nodded his head, picking at his food slightly. It wasn't something he could exactly keep to himself. He had to have someone to confide in about his new relationship and the obstacle that was in the way. Or, what they had thought was a difficulty, when it truly was a little blessing. Harper.

Sadly, telling his family about it was going to be the most difficult. And Ted wasn't just his friend, but his partner. So, he felt the need to tell him some things that come between their work.
"He knows, what he doesn't know yet is that we're keeping him."

He ruffled his hair shaggy hair, he would need to get it cut soon. "So, it still may be sort of awkward. But you're charming so it'll be okay." Or maybe she was the most enchanting thing ever to just him, but he didn't care. He'd make it be fine if he had to.

l a i n e y
"Okay." Lainey didn't expect Teddy to be completely fine and okay with his best friend being a father to a child that wasn't his, but she hoped he would. She wanted her son to be close to his father's friends. And she most certainly did not want to cause a rift between Mason and his best friend. She wasn't malicious like that, though, she was guessing she couldn't say the same thing about Karoline.

Lainey scarfed down the rest of her food, since she was starving, and once they were done she sat in the car and fiddled with the hem of her sweater as Mason drove. She was worried. What if Teddy didn't like her? What if Teddy didn't like that they were keeping the baby? So much could go wrong and she was nervous, so she reached over and took Mason's hand in her own, squeezing to reassure herself.

When they arrived, she got out of the car, pulled her jacket around her belly and took Mason's hand.

M A S O N
Mason kept her hand in his securely and led them both to the front of Theodore Brooklyn. He knocked twice and didn't wait to open the door and let them both inside. The inside was so much warmer compared to the cold and shitty London weather. He shut the door behind them to keep the warmth indoors.

"Hey, Ted!" mason called out for his best friend only to be met by two pugs jumping at his feet for attention. "Oh, I forgot, he has dogs." He said before picking of the black colored one and proceeding to walk into the living room. And noticeable, it was a hell of a lot cleaner than Mason's ever was.

"Goddamnit Mason! What did I say about just waltzing inside without permission?" Ted appeared from around the corner.

"But, I knocked. Besides, you should really lock your doors if you want to keep people out." Mason smiled.

"You think you're so cute, don't you?"

"A little bit, but you can admire me later. I brought someone for you to meet." He set down the pug and it sat his feet. Grabbing Lainey's hand again, he brought her forward. "This Lainey, my girlfriend."

l a i n e y
Most of Lainey's worries were completely dissipated by the appearance of the two adorable dogs. She loved pugs, they were so cute and stupid. Lainey squatted down and petted the creature Mason hadn't picked up behind the ears, before Teddy came around the corner and Mason pulled her forward by the hand. Gently, of course, but still, she was slightly nervous. What if Teddy didn't like her? What if he thought she wasn't good for his best friend.

She had seen pictures of Teddy, of course, but only recently, since she hadn't recognised Mason before Karoline had informed her he was the lead singer of Turbulence. And she wasn't even starstruck to be meeting him, really, she was literally dating a celebrity so it wasn't that big of a deal to be meeting another one.

It was a big deal, however, to be meeting the best friend of the father of her child.

"It's nice to meet you," she said in her still-prevalent Hungarian accent, stepping forward to offer her hand to Theodore. With her other hand she kept her jacket closed around her stomach, though, of course, that didn't hide the obvious bump from anyone's view.

M A S O N
Ted didn't hesitate to take her hand on a firm, yet gentle hold as he shook it. He offered a small kind, and somewhat awkward smile. "It's very nice to finally meet you. I've heard quite a bit about you." He took his hand back and looked at the round in her stomach once, a short and barely noticeable look.

"If I would have known I would be receiving company today I would have prepared in advance. I was just about to feed Tucker and Ginger." The dark haired lad shifted his line of sight onto the pugs still at the couples feet. He gestured to the sofa "Please, have a seat. Sit back and relax."

"Here,"
Mason brought her over to the couch, fixing the small pillow behind her for her own comfort. Then, he proceeded to sit next to her, putting his arm on the back of the couch behind her.

"I'll be a moment," He whistled and the pugs padded after him to get their meal and he shortly returned soon after. "Like I said. I've quite a bit about you."

l a i n e y
Lainey murmured a thank-you when Mason helped her sit down and adjusted the pillow behind her back. He was so thoughtful and kind, and she loved and appreciated everything he did for her. She didn't deserve him, but, somehow, he had fallen for her just as hard as she had fallen for him.

When Ted left to feed the dogs, Lainey took a deep breath, fixed her hair so it hung in its usual thick curtains over her shoulders and leaned back into the couch. She also put a hand over her belly, since she could feel Harper turning around, and she couldn't help but give a small smile when she felt the gentle nudge of his foot against her flesh. It was so strange to think that a tiny human was growing in her womb, and that Mason had agreed to be the father.

Which, they still had to tell Ted.

"I've heard quite a lot about you, too," Lainey said to Mason's best friend with a small smile. And she had, she loved hearing stories about Mason's work. Mason. She looked at him, as if asking if he wanted to tell Teddy about the new development in their relationship. Harper.

M A S O N
"I'm sure you, have, he has a big mouth." Ted seated himself in the recliner across from the sofa where the sat. He raised an eye brow at the both of them and asked. "So, you have something to say, don't you?" He crossed his arms over his chest, almost frowning.

Mason squeezed Lainey's shoulder once to comfort her as well as to let her know he'd do all the talking if need be. When he first thought about the idea of telling Ted, he wasn't worried in the slightest. Yet, now that they were actually put in the scenario he was feeling a but uneasy. Of course, he didn't let that show. He smiled.

"Yeah, we actually wanted to tell you we've decided to keep the baby."
Said Mason steadily and at a cool and casual tone as if they were talking about the weather.

Ted paused. Mason waited. Silence.

"Wow. Okay." He finally spoke up, clearly unsure what to say. "Your sister is going to skin you alive."

"I'll worry about that later. Right now, I want to know what you think."

"I think you're crazy, but I honestly felt this coming for a while."

l a i n e y
So, Ted didn't have a real issue with this turn of events. He wasn't overly ecstatic, but he didn't mind, and he'd apparently been feeling it for a while. That made Lainey wonder how long Mason had known she had wanted to keep the baby, but she decided against asking about that right now. Now, there were more important things to worry about.

Such as, Mason's sister.

The idea of meeting her boyfriend's older sister was terrifying in itself, but now, with the change of their hearts regarding the infant in her womb, Lainey was panicked about the idea of meeting Margot. What if she deemed Lainey not good enough for her little brother? What if she showed resistance to the idea of Mason becoming a father? Vasily, Piper and her dad were different -- she knew how to deal with them, she knew what they were like.

She knew nothing about Mason's sister.

But, she was happy that Ted had more or less given them their blessing so she allowed herself to relax for the moment, leaning back against the couch and gave Theodore an appreciative smile.

"Thanks."

M A S O N
"Sure, just be good to Mace. I know he will to you." Ted cupped his chin, watching the couple on the couch closely. "Anyway, don't think this gets you out of work or anything." He pointed at Mason accusingly.

"Of course, not. Besides, I do most of it."
Mason rolled his eyes and kissed the side of Lainey's head. He was just too happy Ted didn't reject the idea. If anything, he was just note concerned about their relationship being a good one.

"You mean when you're not playing?"

"Shut up."

He smirked. "So, what about the kid? Boy or girl?"

"We just found out today it's a boy and his name will be Harper. Harper Elliot Wagner."

Mason went on a little bit more about the baby as if he actually met him already and then they talked about some other things. But not for too long, Mason didn't want to drag out their stay and he did want to get home so Lainey could rest. Ted had walked them out and said a few words in private to Mason when he could.

l a i n e y

As she quickly adjusted to the new setting and managed to push Mason's sister out of her mind, Lainey happily relaxed into the couch and allowed Mason and Ted to discuss things without interrupting. She didn't feel the need to. She just laid back and listened, rubbing her swollen belly as Harper finally stilled, as if he were sleeping. The idea of her baby sleeping brought a huge smile to the young woman's face.

When it was finally time to go home, Lainey said goodbye to Teddy with no complaints of his hospitality and a large smile on her dainty face. She decided that she liked Teddy and she couldn't think of a better godfather for her child.

Once she and Mason had returned back to their home, Lainey kicked her shoes off, shed her jacket and hung it on the hook beside the door. She then kissed Mason on the cheek, went into the kitchen and put the kettle on so she could brew some tea. She had grown an affinity for tea since she had been living with Mason, as she had drunk predominantly coffee or hot chocolate beforehand. Tea wasn't a big thing in Hungary.

"I really like Ted," she said honestly as she handed Mason a mug of warm tea and sipped at her own. "He's cool. And I wouldn't mind if he was Harper's godfather."

M A S O N
"He's a good friend, a bit of a know it all ass, but yeah." Mason smiled fondly, taking his mug from her. He always enjoyed a good cup of tea any time of the day. So, he very much appreciated her making him one too. Coincidentally she made his favorite out of his large selection, Earl Grey.

"I think he would be a good godfather, he's a lot more responsible than me." That wasn't necessarily true, but it looked to be so because Mason was looser than he. It was strange to some others how two people who looked to be the exact opposite could be best friends. "So, it would be okay if he were to be the godfather?"

Mason sat up in his seat and gently pulled Lainey down so she was sitting beside him. He set down his mug and faced her with a smile. It was a relief to know that Lainey like Ted, his girlfriend and best friend getting along. That was something he hadn't had in a long time.

"He'd be the best godfather that could be."

l a i n e y

Lainey smiled at her boyfriend and leaned over to kiss him briefly on the lips. "Of course, Teddy can be godfather." Lainey wasn't religious or anything but she wanted her baby to have the best life possible and if, god forbid, anything were to happen to herself and Mason, she didn't want Harper to land in the arms of Harrison. He needed good godparents who could take care of him, people he could trust.

"And I'd like Piper to be godmother, if that's okay." Piper, her twin sister whom Lainey loved dearly, and whom was easily Lainey's best friend. Lainey missed her sister like crazy and was glad that her family was coming to London soon to meet Mason as Lainey's boyfriend, and hopefully meet Mason's sister.

Oh.

Lainey bit her lip and looked at Mason now. "Um ..." She wasn't sure how to ask her question, but she was going to try. "With your sister, is there anything I should be worried about?"

M A S O N
Mason had broken out into a grin when she approved and deemed his best mate godfather worthy. Nothing brought him more joy in that moment and he happily gave her a kiss of his own. Any form of sweet affection he would happily accept and give to Lainey.

"Yes, Piper can be the godmother." It was only natural, and he would happily comply to what she wanted. Piper was her sister and she appeared to be a good person. If Lainey trusted her, why shouldn't he?

At the question involving his sister, he clicked his tongue. If he was to be blunt they certainly had something to worry about. He didn't want to put that type of stress on her nor did he want to lie.
"I mean, she's just overprotective so." He shrugged a shoulder.

Overprotective, yeah, that was one way to put it.

l a i n e y

Overprotective. Lainey could understand that -- she was quite protective of her twin Piper, and Vasily was incredibly protective of the both of them. He had scared away plenty of their boyfriends, the ones whom he deemed not good enough or bad for his sisters.

But she wasn't sure how to deal with Margot, Mason's sister. And this was a lot different to Vasily declaring that a boyfriend wasn't good enough. This was Mason taking responsibility for another man's child. This was a lot more impactful and serious.

But, Lainey decided to push this out of her mind for the moment. She kissed Mason on the lips again, hugged him tightly and decided to deal with the issue when it arose.

M A S O N
Roughly two weeks had passed after the meeting with Ted. Every day was a joy spending it with Lainey and knowing as well as seeing their child grow little by little. During that time he had also picked up a couple of baby books. Sure, he had played a huge role in his nieces' lives when they were infants and up, even before they were born. But you could never learn too much.

Also, he wanted to be on a professional level when Lainey's family. Or at least look like it. Responsibility and trust were something he wanted to display largely to her family members that he had. It wouldn't hurt if he impressed his sister as well.

He had prepared for the day and it finally came. It was peculiar that he wasn't nervous when the days started weaning but when he woke up, he had never felt more on edge in his life, not even the first time he performed live.

To start off right, he had set the coffee table for all the guest that would be entering their home. He had purchased foods that he knew they'd all enjoy, he had indeed badgered Lainey about it, asking their likes and dislikes. And, for once, he cleaned excessively, making sure there wasn't a single speck of dirt hanging around.

"Okay, alright I put the tea on and they should be here soon." Said Mason to Lainey, looking over the living room, wondering if they needed to rearrange anything.

l a i n e y

The day had come.

Lainey was almost as nervous as Mason was but she was hiding it better. She was dressed in dark grey skinny jeans and had a large and chunky black sweater on, that covered her bump. She couldn't hide it, of course, but she could try to make it less visible. She did this because of Margot.

Margot. She was so nervous that she had thrown up that morning, another thing she had hidden from Mason because she didn't want to make him even more worried than he already was. In the living room, she pulled him into a hug and kissed him on the cheek.

"Stop panicking. It's going to be fine," she assured him, though, of course, she couldn't promise that.

The doorbell rang, Lainey braced herself and went to open it. On the other side stood her family -- her brother, her sister and her father, Royce. They all greeted her with smiles.

"Hey, Laineybot," Vasily said, smiling upon seeing her, giving her stomach a wary look and kissing her on the forehead before stepping inside.

"Wow, people can tell us apart now!" Piper said brightly, kissing her twin's cheek and following Vasily in.

"Papa," Lainey said to her dad, who was staring at her stomach. She held her arms out for a hug, and he happily gave it to her.

"It's good to see you, sweetie."

Lainey lead her family into the living room of her house, the one she shared with Mason. "Papa, this is my boyfriend Mason." She had already told Piper and Vasily about her dating Mason. "Mason, his is my father, Royce Applewhite."

M A S O N
"Ello, Mr. Apple white. It's so nice to finally meet you," Smiled Mason, his English accent thicker than usual because of his nerves.

He shook hands with Lainey's father as soon as he was facing him. Royce Applewhite seemed like a pleasant older man in appearance and if he was anything like his daughter he was certain he would like him very much. And he hoped that he would come to like Mason too.

"It's nice to see you both again too, Vasily and Piper."
He addressed her siblings because they were just as important as her father. "Please, have a seat. I'll get the tea." He gestured toward the seats and left them to take the whistling tea kettle off the fire.

Mason was sure that nothing would go smoothly or perfectly, but he did want the end result to be very favorable. He sighed deeply, relaxing himself and made the tea to put in the teapot. Just as he returned and set it on the table, the doorbell rung.

Margot.

"I'll be a moment, that's may be my sister."

And was in fact his sister with her twins in front, dressed in matching outfits, noticeably cream colored tutus. They looked like little angels with their gold colored hair and bright green eyes, they took after their mother but most of all, they were identical. There was no mistaking that, Margot, her girls and Mason were all related.

"Uncle Sunny!" Jessie tackled his legs with a hug and Jenny was soon to follow.

"Hey, Mason." Margot hugged him as the girls continued to do so, unlike the twins, she actually let go. "I'm sorry I couldn't bring Ed. He has a lot of work in his hands."

"It's fine. I've missed you all so much,"
He said joyously, scooped up Jenny, and since Jessie had wrapped herself around his leg, he limped into the living room with them. "This my sister, Margot. And her girls, Jennifer and Jessica."

l a i n e y
When Mason left, Lainey sunk onto the couch and sipped her tea to hide the fact that she was totally hyperventilating. She was so panicked -- everything rode on this, absolutely everything, and if Margot didn't like her, Lainey didn't know what she would do, or what would happen to herself and Mason. And Harper, who was kicking away in her womb without a care in the world.

Piper seemed to pick up on how stressed she was and her identical twin sat down next to her and took her hand. Lainey gave her a grateful smile and turned her eyes to the door, where Mason was coming back into the room with two little girls attached to him. They were cute and precious but Lainey couldn't pay attention to them because she was too focused on their mother.

Margot. Mason's sister.

Lainey smiled at her, and put her mug down so no one could see how much her hand was shaking. She stood up, pulled the sweater down so it covered her bump properly and went to stand beside Mason, putting her hand on his arm to steady herself. She was obviously nervous.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you," she said timidly to Margot. Her family watched, which just made her even more nervous. "I'm Lainey."

M A S O N
Mason switched his niece to his other arm and placed his unoccupied hand on his girlfriend's lower back to support and comfort her and, admittedly, himself too. Margot certainly did not appear very excited to be meeting Lainey or her family but she was good at staying polite and hiding any displeasure she may have had. She was an actress after all but Mason could still see through her when in physical contact.

Margot looked to Lainey's perfectly protruding belly before meeting her eyes, her face unreadable. She paused for a moment. He had told her of Lainey's pregnancy and she had not been happy about it. She had a sharp tongue but he hoped she would just save it for later when she would really have a to reason use it.

And save it, she did.

"Ah, yes, I've heard plenty about you." Margot smiled politely. "I'm happy to finally meet you as well."

The blonde woman reached for her daughter attached to Mason's leg, she managed to pry her from him and pulled her along to be seated with her. Mason steadily introduced her to Piper, Vasily and their father, Royce. And frankly, she was quite a fan of the tennis playing siblings. So, she brightened a slight bit more to have met them.

Mason lead Lainey back to her seat and sat beside her with Jenny in his lap. He served her a slice of red velvet cheesecake along with everyone else. He was unsure whether to jump right in to the sole purpose of the meeting or wait until everyone was more comfortable.

l a i n e y
Margot's introduction wasn't massively offensive but still, Lainey could tell that she wasn't actually happy to meet her. She smiled and nodded anyway, and followed Mason to sit between her boyfriend and her own twin, who seemed to be quite enchanted by the littler identical twins.

Everyone ate their cheesecake, which was delicious, and Lainey was able to calm down a little bit, though she couldn't ignore the anxiety chewing away at her. She knew that this wouldn't go smoothly but she also knew that Mason would try his best to control the situation.

"Lainey," said Royce, "you have something on your mind."

Lainey licked her lips and nodded. Their father had always been exceptionally good at reading herself, Piper and Vasily. They had almost never gotten away with anything as kids. He was a good dad, the type of dad she hoped her own son would grow up with.

"Yeah." Lainey sat up a little bit, her father giving her the confidence to just say what was on her mind.

She gripped Mason's hand and looked at him when she spoke. "We ... we've decided to keep the baby."