Impetus (Peregrine x Ragamoofin)

• Welcome back, Iwaku! While we are still working on the site to get it back into shape, we've come back online so you can get back to doing what you love. Check out this announcement for more details.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Genders You Prefer Playing
Primarily Prefer Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
As Jukheyr once more took the pressure off of her, Amaris turned her attention back towards the bloody weave that surrounded their battle. Every second the birdbrain bought her was another second Amaris could devote to strengthening this trap. As long as the trap was strong enough to hold him, then Thumil would eventually fall. To Amaris, it was far more a question if Jukheyr's energy would hold out for the length of the fight.

All the same, Thumil wasn't going to forget about her, and Amaris didn't have the intention to give the Wildling the chance. As the sharp needles of blood continued to barrage him, and were countered by wave after wave of sap, Amaris diverted some of the blood to begin forming a construct behind her.

If Jukheyr had a second to spare, he would quickly recognize the bloody mass that was taking shape behind Amaris as the construct she'd created for him to inhabit earlier that morning. The blood wove into muscles, limbs, claws, and teeth, before she severed her connection to it in one fluid movement. For a second the construct stirred, before it let out a soundless roar from its position behind Amaris' back. It crouched, before jumping forwards over Amaris' head and charging towards the Widling.

However, less than an instant later, one of the rays of light that had been causing Jukheyr so many problems blasted in Amaris' direction, crashing against her construct. Its bloody form instantly began to boil, and the golem let out another soundless scream as it attempted to push its way forward through the attack.

However, it was obvious at a glance that her construct was going to come out for the worse in this particular encounter. Every second its size shrunk by a couple of inches, and its clawed feet were even slipping backwards across the ground in the face of the light's intensity.

Normally, Amaris would not have minded taking the shot by herself. It wasn't as though it would be able to do any long-term damage to her. But right now, Amaris was unwilling to risk going unconscious, even for a second. Her connection to the bloody wall was strong, but if that connection were to crumble, the wall would fall just as easy.

Amaris was not fond of wasting effort.

The blood around Amaris began to move again, flowing towards the golem and quickly rebuilding its failing form. The silent struggle between the bloody construct and the ray of light went on for several seconds, until the beam slowly began to fail. With a silent scream of victory, the golem began to push forward against the attack, charging towards the Wildling.

Amaris glanced away from the fight, not really concerned about how the golem would fare against the Wildling. It was little more than a distraction. Instead, her eyes turned towards Jukheyr, one eyebrow raised curiously. She was waiting to see if the phoenix had any better tricks in its bag than explosive attacks.

Ragamoofin

Candle Goblin
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
I'm here whenever you need me, my dude.
Writing Levels
Elementary, Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
No Preferences
I'm fine with both.
Favorite Genres
Uh, let's see. Fantasy, magical, drama, fluff. The usual.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not really a fan of nonfiction.
The onward press of tension and magic seemed to be at a stalemate against the Wildling; try as they might, Thumil was meeting them at every attack, whether it be in a counter or yet another way to elude being touched. Bothersome as it was, Thumil was not without a respectable amount of skill in it's magics, but Jukheyr would wager even skill had a limit. Time was of no concern, Thumil would relent sooner or later. It's draw of strength from the forest gave it the upper hand, but this was no fair fight.

Earth found its melting point and was absorbed into the bisected form of Jukheyr, replenishing the parts of it that had been blasted out by Thumil's sunbeams. Hacking, Jukheyr spat out a scorched chunk of earth, little more than regurgitated magma on the grass. Quick as ever, Jukheyr took to soaring, sensing a clash of extremes just ahead.

And what a clash it was. Jukheyr took in the sight as it floated on the thermals it created, the ever-present hurl of the wind keeping it close to the treetops. Amaris' wall continued to climb over them, all under the notice of Thumil. It's eyes narrowed at the crystals bobbing around the Wildling, their persistent flares beating against - oh, really?

The sight of the blood golem filled Jukheyr with the makings of anger, maybe even fury before - the internal fire quenched. It sensed an irony about the struggle of blood and light. Here was the Wildling, fighting against the thing it had been hours before.

Jukheyr chuckled, a lustrous sheen over it's back as it changed tactics, drawing heat from the same source as the Wildling. Sunlight fed into it's feathers, a new warmth cloaking the phoenix, growing into a tremendous shadow below.

As the shadows fell, so did the Wildling's sunbeams. Thumil, taking on the juggernaut as a priority, had focused the majority of it's levitating crystals at Amaris' creation. Blood was an awfully human thing to throw at it, no matter the form it took. Blood could dry, blood could harden, and it would boil in the woman's veins once it was done with her puppet.

It proved to be easier said than done. For every step the golem gained, Thumil's sunbeams were weaker, the space between them shrinking closer and closer as Amaris fed more of her accursed blood into it. It was - ridiculous, she was just a mere witch with foul blood in her body.

The crystals drew closer together as the golem neared, their remaining light being sapped by the overcast of Jukheyr's body. Thumil forced them to keep on their charge, the scent of dried blood choking the air, the shed blood staining the ground. Thumil grit it's teeth and focused, feeling the light slip from it's hold. "Stop," Thumil spoke, quietly. One could've imagined it, but the next one - "Stop it." - was heard above everything.

Just as the few it had designated to fire at the idol held their charge, those joined the ones around Thumil as it concentrated the whole of it's attack against the golem. "Stop! Enough of this struggle, it will mean -" Thumil's crystals dimmed, their beams shorter, heat dissipating into the bulk of blood. "Nothing! Foolish witch, you really believe your - toy can compare to my power!?"

Hanging in the air, Jukheyr studied the scene, enjoying the pressure Thumil was suddenly feeling. It almost laughed. If it was weakening already, this might've easier than it thought.

Meeting Amaris' eyes, Jukheyr recognized the silent gesture. It was aware that, despite pushing back against Thumil's initial attack, this wasn't working. They had yet to get the Wildling out of it's comfort zone, and considering how that included all of the forest, it was going to need to get creative to force the imp into a corner.

Jukheyr eyed the ground, already dripping in the mess of Amaris' blood, sap mixing red as it oozed over the grass. Jukheyr gazed at Thumil, standing strong, even with Amaris' blood golem within arm's reach. It eyed the ground, and mused darkly.

"Amaris," it's voice seemed to be over the witch's shoulder, it's presence filling the air around her for but a second. "Go high."

Shifting it's weight, rippling magma becoming it's talons, Jukheyr fell through the air, wings propelling it to the ground. It caught a final glimpse of Thumil and Amaris' struggle as the ground neared, the Wildling still pressuring it's crystals to fire even as the beams were no more than flashes. It screeched, and sunk into the earth, ground turned molten and black as Jukheyr vanished under the surface.

The landscape shook.

Thumil gave Jukheyr's vanishing a passing glance, it's attention fully on the golem inching closer to it. It's crystals had fashioned at it's chest, a last resort to protect it as the sap - quaked, a solid vibration running through it and back into the Wildling. "What in the -" Words lost, all of it's eyes popped open, the sap hiking under it, launching it into the air and away from the ground just as it warmed and burst.

The head of Jukheyr tore from the ground under Thumil in a sulfurous eruption, the shape of the phoenix dripping with molten stone, spewing lava over the trees as it's wings surrounded the Wildling.

Jukheyr's words seemed to echo again...

"Go high."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
More and more, Amaris was becoming aware of the fact that the Wildling was entirely oblivious to her true nature, or at least acting the part. They'd only tussled a few times at this point, but Amaris had never been particularly subtle about her strange nature. She'd clashed head to head with Thumil's magic more than enough that she thought the shrub might have gotten a clue about how she fought and why.

But if that was the game it wanted to play, intentional or otherwise, Amaris was more than willing to play along. If it truly was unaware, perhaps that might provide a slip up that Amaris and Jukheyr could take advantage of.

If it wasn't, well. It wasn't like Amaris would have any reservations about walking into a trap.

As Amaris' blood golem continued to beat against the Wildling's defenses, and Amaris added to the assault with the occasional spear of blood flying through the air, she watched Jukheyr dive under the ground, leaving behind a puddle of molten rock in its wake. Her eyes immediately focused in on the ground under Thumil's feet, waiting for any indication of what the birdbrain was planning.

It didn't take long for her clue to come, as the ground near the Wildling's feet heaved up, barely missing the Wildling that had leaped up out of the way. As Jukheyr's veritable eruption pushed it even higher into the air, Amaris was suddenly struck by a burst of inspiration. Her blood golem lunged forward as well, liquefying as it moved before transforming into a geyser of its own. The blood pushed against Thumil's shields, pushing the Wilding further towards the branches, before tendrils of blood suddenly began to descend from the sky.

All around the clearing, pieces of Amaris' blood wall had lifted into the air, forming a crimson cage over their heads. The strands of blood flashed towards the ground like lightning, beginning to coil around Thumil, before pulling sharply upwards. More and more strands followed behind, attempting to wind the Wildling into a bloody ball and hoist him into the air.

Ragamoofin

Candle Goblin
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
No Preferences
I'm fine with both.
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
The air itself was captured around Thumil's tossed form, it's legs finding invisible holds as it forced the wind to blow harder beneath it; the velocity gave the molten god resistance in it's screeching charge. The Wildling's face was thoroughly annoyed, the carved grooves in it's woody flesh contorted further with it's ire. Jukheyr's upward dive took it just as far as Thumil could go on it's current, the god's maw practically licking at it.

Thumil's eyes grew bright, it's many limbs cringing back at what was sure to be a nasty bite. The wind wavered, albeit shortly, just enough to fall a scant inch. It was unlike the Wildling to be so disorientated; it had fought before, many times before. Yet this...Thumil felt, was not a mere struggle of wills.

This was a fight for it's life.

Red. Thumil saw pure red. It came as a wave, barreling at it from the churning ground.

Thumil followed the flow of blood to it's source, it's maddening pest of a wielder staring back at it. Beyond her, Thumil saw a scarlet along the trees, climbing like ivy into the air and - Thumil's thoughts were interrupted by a wet grip, squeezing like a vice and nearly knocking the air from it's body. A cage, the Wildling thought, she made a cage.

It hadn't noticed. She'd been expanding since they began, and it hadn't noticed. Too busy trying to keep the idol out of the sky, too busy trying to stop her blood from touching it again. Another bloody thread came around it, Thumil's mind catching up and bringing the wind close, tightening the gusts' around it's limbs just as the strands of blood dropped from the top of the cage.

Thumil struggled fiercely, the wind became a dense gale around it, the Wildling's words scarcely heard. It didn't need to be heard, not by either of it's enemies. It called to the mana, to the world, and it's answer was that of a storm.

Static buzzed in the air, and in a blink, it coalesced into a wash of white. The earsplitting thunder came a moment behind.

The bolt of lightning didn't last longer than an ordinary strike, and in the moments after it's impact, Thumil came back into focus. It rested on the wind, cracks in it's flesh oozing golden sap, hands at it's sides and quivering with the rattling charge of lightning. It raised it's hands skyward, and shouted to the storm. Again, the world answered.

A rain of lightning, luminous and destructive in a swift blow, struck Jukheyr. Thunder rocked in the air, the agonized shout of Jukheyr following it. The blast pinned the god to the ground, earth and stone turned to a pit of gritty slag under the intense heat. Jukheyr laid for a moment, then collected itself, only this time there was less to gather. Amaris' eye was sure to be keen enough, but Jukheyr was getting weaker, and with the loss of energy, it's form suffered.

"I don't remember them being able to do that," Jukheyr voiced, sounding...off. "Since when can it do that?"

Above, Thumil heard, and answered, still winding lightning around it's limbs. "I am the keeper of these woods, it is to the wilds that I owe my power." Thumil's hands channeled the lightning, fingertips turning white from the flow of energy. "And by the wilds, my power is vast beyond compare."

Jukheyr leapt up, wings rocketing it airborne, hoping to overcome the Wildling through sheer speed. It merely channeled lightning, it's body couldn't had been to be much faster. Thumil seemed unsteady, and Jukheyr preyed on the sign. If it was weak, they were winning.

Jukheyr braced for the contact of lightning, seeing Thumil's raise it's hands and crackling with arcs of the thunderous power. It came sooner than it hoped, a unyielding stream of heat and spines under it's feathers and the sickening feel of Thumil's magic. The heat filled it with strength, however that was only fuel to push through Thumil's bolt. It only needed to endure, just until Amaris could recover the structure of her cage.

Jukheyr felt a give in the lightning's current; Thumil relenting against it - only to aim it's hands at the the witch herself. Jukheyr's maw split open, to call to her to move.

Last edited:

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Amaris' attention was entirely devoted to spinning her net of blood. At first, she felt her heart pounding in her chest, in time to the pulsing of the blood around her. Even more than her fight with Jukheyr, this battle made her feel almost alive again. There was something at stake here, and right now, success or failure rested on her shoulders.

And then she felt as her tendrils of blood coiled around Thumil, winding in close to him, and Amaris knew she had him. With a jolt she pulled him higher into the air, blood rushing in at him from all sides. Her cage pulsed, briefly unraveling slightly before binding around him even tighter.

Amaris felt the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end in response to the static in the air, as Jukheyr pushed up towards the captured Wildling, the echo of the magic so familiar after their fight last night.

A sudden sense of foreboding filled Amaris, a thought not quite fully formed on the tip of her tongue. Last night. Jukheyr, calling down the storm's power to strike her, while lightning arced through its metallic flesh.

But right now, Jukheyr was fire.

And then the bolt of lightning struck, causing Amaris' hair to float up about her head. It blasted from the heavens towards the phoenix, leaving the air humming in its passage, and Amaris' ears ringing from the crash of thunder that followed a split second later.

But the lightning didn't seem to do much to Jukheyr, and Amaris soon turned her attention back towards the net of blood around her. Amaris was no fool. She couldn't dodge lightning, and some blood golem wouldn't be able to block the blast for her. If Thumil decided to target her, which it would inevitably do, there was little Amaris was going to be able to do to stop it.

And, if Jukheyr wasn't able to get in the way, the lightning would fry her, leaving her mind unresponsive for the several long instances it took until her body would restore itself. If Thumil had struck her first, if she hadn't been expecting it, her cage might have completely collapsed.

But now she had warning, and Amaris took full advantage of the scant moments she had. Her cage shifted and bubbled, before hardening, transforming from a fluid mesh into wires like steel. She solidified it within her mind, so that even if she broke her connection it wouldn't immediately collapse all around her.

She had to hold the Wildling in place. That was all that mattered.

And then the air was humming, the clouds in the sky almost swirling together at the influx of power. Almost as though calling down the strike, Jukheyr's shriek of warning was the last thing Amaris heard before her world went white.

For an instant, the cage seemed to tremble. The bonds around Thumil, still soft under Amaris' control to fight the Wildling's constant writhing attempts to escape, weakened, dripping around the forest guardian. But the blood held strong.

Amaris' eyes snapped back open.

And she found herself staring up at the Wildling, her eyes immediately falling on the one thing she hadn't taken into account. The lightning had come from the sky, and it had blasted a hole right through the top of the cage, shattering through the weak bloody threads that made up the top of the dome. And Thumil was already racing towards that one, small gap in her trap.

Ragamoofin

Candle Goblin
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
No Preferences
I'm fine with both.
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Jukheyr watched the lancing bolt strike Amaris, it's attention torn away from the Wildling for the sight of the witch thoroughly cooked by the attack. It hadn't been worried about her; it knew from experience that she would be fine, regardless of what happened to her. No, the god's concern was for her cage, nearly completed, until Thumil decided to pull lightning from it's invoked storm. Amaris was only harmed for a moment, but that instant was enough for the cage to weaken. Trembling, it looked breakable.

Seemed that was Thumil's plan. Jukheyr had stalled in the air, the sparse time it took to watch Amaris' death and subsequent regeneration - or rather, regression, allowed the Wildling to gain altitude. It was nearing the space in Amaris' cage the lightning had blasted through, not large by any means, but Jukheyr didn't have a doubt the Wildling needed but a foothold to gain the upper hand.

The distracting sting of Jukheyr's lightning had just abated from it's body went it took off again, wings propelling back and sending it like a fiery lance through the air. In the rush of speed, Jukheyr's body lost it's phoenix shape, becoming a thinning streak that tore through the air with a rising whistle. Jukheyr was gaining on Thumil, even in the short amount of time it had to catch up. It looked like Thumil was leaping higher, actually using it's body in tandem with it's gale to race to the opening.

Every moment, every breath, the race seemed be getting close to it's end. Jukheyr was a shining blur, yet Thumil's form was lost among the whirl of the air. Jukheyr would catch it, that much seemed certain. The phoenix was practically the shadow of the Wildling, and in their brief chase, it clear to see Thumil had tired in their struggle.

The wind Thumil rode on began to sizzle, the drizzle stolen from the air evaporating under the heat of Jukheyr. The streak burst open, the wake of its explosion shaping into points, a corona coming around the Wildling.

From within the fire, a deadly intent focused into a screech.

"Thumil!!"

The Wildling shot away, it's only thought to escape, to survive. Then, the voice called again. Thumil felt it's sap draw sticky and hard against it's body, the living inferno of the god casting it in a immolating light. Thumil's eyes went wide as the fire turned to the god's terrifying visage, eyes crimson against the white-orange of it's body.

"Burn!!"

Jukheyr surrounded the Wildling, fire like growing limbs reaching for it from all angles, everything around it nothing but fire and heat and death. Thumil could feel it, in the smoldering of it's body, horns burning with the light of it's magic. The Wildling's eyes snapped up, to the hole in the witch's cage, Jukheyr teasing it with a view of what was going to be it's escape.

As the fire crept over it, the flesh of it's body smouldering, the Wildling pushed the pain from it's mind and cried to the world. It's magic was a pulsing light, horns smoking yet glowing still. Beckoning, pleading to the world to help.

The winds changed, pulling to the Wildling, a horrible sound like thunder splitting the air. as a wave of pressure struck at Jukheyr with all the force of a whirlwind. Sharpened like a blade, the wind cut into the phoenix, a cry of pain coming from the god as it fell - in pieces.

Thumil watched the god fall in two, looking shocked - perhaps at the realization that it may have just felled a supposed god. The slash had torn Jukheyr at the middle, it's talons falling away as molten slag as it's wings twitched, the air cutting even those in half. Thumil didn't waste another a second on the sight, it's back turning yet it heard the impact of the god.

"You dare to waste my time with these-" Thumil broke into a growl, it's teeth coming together, nearly shaking from the force of it's ire. "Annoyances!?" A hand, scorched and pointing at the slain god. "You cannot stop me, and any witch you side with shall share the same fate!" It's hands came apart, at it's sides, eyes glowing and hands gathering the static in the atmosphere. "You are in my domain, and here," Thumil spoke, stopping, the sky darkening from the churn and ripple of the storm above.

"I am god."

Thumil took again at the pair on the ground, all six hands aiming at them, fingers twirling electric arcs, charging what might've been it's biggest yet. The Wildling pointed at Amaris with the hands on one side, Jukheyr with the other. The air began to hum, the crackling arcs building and with a thrust-

The air shook, a booming vibration coming from above, the heat in the air rising to unbearable heights. And in a flash, Thumil fell to the earth.

A cloud of fire and smoke burst up from the Wildling's fall, a plume of black smoke rising higher than the cage. The winds shifted, and extinguished the flames, Thumil emerging the crater it had made looking pained. It had taken a wash of flame, the healthy bark of it's flesh looking more like kindling, ash falling from it where it had been utterly burned.

Breathing raggedly, Thumil's eyes, the few that hadn't been rendered black in the scorch, found Jukheyr. The bifurcated god shook it's head.

"I didn't do that."

Above, a voice chimed in.

"You didn't."

Descending from the hole in the cage, wings of fire careful not to touch the climbing edges, a familiar ruffle of membrane came into view followed by hair like a plume of smoke.

"I did," Ansell said.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
As Amaris watched Jukheyr fall from the sky, even as she saw her cage of blood quickly closing back in over the Wildling, Amaris resigned herself to a long fight. If the two of them didn't have the burst damage to take down the Wildling in one fight, then it was going to be a war of attrition. And while such wars were Amaris' forte, she could not say she relished the months or even years it might take to uproot every tree in the forest, and drown every creature in its own blood, until Thumil was left with no domain to call his own, and no power for it.

All the same, she prepared herself for that fight. Amaris was not someone who made an oath lightly, and she upheld her promise. She had come out here to see Thumil slain, and she would see that duty through to the end. Whatever it took.

So Amaris stared down Thumil as it cried its victory to the skies, disdain filling her eyes. "You're no god," she told Thumil, the words reminiscent of the vitriol she'd spat at Jukheyr last night. "Not if you're still on this plane."

However, as Amaris braced herself for Thumil's attack, and for the bloody, drawn out battle that would follow it, she came to realize a moment later that the reversals in this fight still hadn't come to an end. Her eyes narrowed into slits against a sudden burst of fire that lit up the sky, and sent Thumil crashing to the ground a moment later. Like the shrub and the bird, her gaze turned upwards.

"Ansell," Amaris said, her tone almost accusatory. "I thought you weren't going to fight."

Was the boy here to get in their way? To plead for the life of a creature that would take his own in a moment if given the opportunity? Amaris watched Ansell with her eyes still narrowed, gaze flicking between the boy and the downed Wildling. However, that didn't stop her from taking advantage of the brief respite to rebuild her cage, blood pulsing out of her wrists in a steady flow.