Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Genders You Prefer Playing
Primarily Prefer Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
Amaris couldn’t help but let out a hiss at Jukhery’s words. She might not think a lot of the birdbrain’s decision making skills, but she knew that there was no way it would make such an important mistake. Not when Ansell’s life, and therefore its own, was hanging in the balance.

But his words indicated nothing good for either of them. Amaris had experienced a lot of powers in her life, but she found few as annoying as true earth shamans. Their power was tied to the very vitality of the land they controlled, and as long as life still existed within their domain, their power was endless.

Her attention momentarily distracted, there was a wet squelching noise from her barrier, and Amaris promptly reinforced the damaged section. However, even her distraction didn’t prevent her from scolding Jukheyr’s final statement, her words as much instinct as rational. “They won’t stop. Even if you find some way to muffle the power, it won’t stop looking for him as long as a trace of that power remains on this land. It’s not rational. It’ll drain all the life from this land before it’ll stop searching out what’s been taken from it.”

Amaris grunted as a particularly heavy blow struck against the barrier. However, that didn’t stop her from staring at both Ansell and Jukheyr. “Way I see it, you’ve got three options. Find a way to get that power out of him and either give it back or completely destroy it, continue to fight against these abominations until this entire valley becomes a barren wasteland, or get him far enough away from this land it loses track of the power and goes dormant.”

Amaris truly couldn’t see any other options. This tidal wave was not a force that could be reasoned with. It was simply the desperate efforts of the land to regain the power that had doubtless taken it tens or even hundreds of thousands of years to accumulate. Either it got the power back, or it couldn’t find the power anymore.

Of course, the bloodwitch knew full well that there was no way that Ansell would like any of those options. Unfortunately for the boy, though, life was simply like that sometimes.

Another shudder ran through the barrier, hundreds of droplets of blood showering down around them before they gathered into streams on the ground and flowed back into the barrier. It was possible to hear the muffled sound of some sort of high-pitched buzzing on the other side of the barrier. Amaris spat out the mouthful of blood that had pooled behind her lips in the short time she’d spent silent.

“Take your time.”

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Ragamoofin

Ragamoofin

Candle Goblin
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
I'm here whenever you need me, my dude.
Writing Levels
Elementary, Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
No Preferences
I'm fine with both.
Favorite Genres
Uh, let's see. Fantasy, magical, drama, fluff. The usual.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not really a fan of nonfiction.
Ansell cowered under the rattling bang on Amaris' shield, blood drops dousing him before recollecting itself; Ansell had watched the process, as gory as it was, Amaris' blood continuing to ooze like a red sea. He didn't doubt her ability to hold up, it just seemed selfish to make her. He had a decision to make, Amaris had made that much clear for him, and each were unfavorable as the last. Ansell gave his scar a hard stare, briefly imagining carving it out; he quickly realized the useless suffering that would bring. It was in him, like it or not.

The idea of a massacre was - equally unappealing. Ansell wasn't exactly the sharpest on the work of magic; that'd been Jukheyr's thing, at one time, before it'd gotten bored and eventually stopped. However, he knew of mana, how magic was the product of manipulating it. It was a power source, drawing from a force and manifesting in myriad ways. He was starkly reminded of his own situation with Jukheyr. Ansell pictured the conjured force of Thumil, unleashed, untamed.

That left Ansell with a single option. Ansell stepped away from where Amaris had planted herself, taking a long breath that slowly rose the temperature of the dome.

"Amaris," Ansell spoke, though it was closer to a vocalized roar of flame. Ansell stared into the witch, eyes gone in a flash of white fire. "Please keep your dome up."

The veins beneath Ansell's skin began to glow, scarlet soaking through his flesh, bones growing up and visible from his internal pyre. Ansell let out a breath, fire curling around his head, running over his arms in a solid plume. Ansell's hands were molten in their transparency, fire building - shrinking, striking hotter and repeating. A flowing fire bled from one digit to the next, running through his fingers and gaining power, more of the strange fire accumulating.

Ansell breathed again, smoke billowing from his lips, surrounding him then stretching out. Wings, built of gray figments, barely feathers, solid in some bizarre way. "Jukheyr," Ansell's glare melted into the vulture, "Stay with Amaris."

Ansell crouched, wings spreading over the bloody ground. There was a wisp of smoke where Ansell - had been, diving towards the top of the dome and sinking through it. As expected, the hole Ansell had made was a mostly inconsequential gap in the maintained web. As for the creatures that had piled atop each other, they were of no concern, either; they'd been reduced to husks at Ansell's touch.

Jukheyr was left blinking at the recovered hole, taking a few wobbling steps forward. "What is he- Amaris, you have to-"

There was an explosion outside the dome, heat suffusing the dome, the outer most layers bubbling, hardening under the heat. Jukheyr looked shaken, but not unstable; Ansell was still near, and by the sound of shrill death outside the dorm, in fighting form. The onslaught of heat and presumably fire was felt through the dome, though the internal heat was nothing compared to the pale flame that bathed the spawn.

The roar of flame went on, the heat grew, but eventually the screeching stopped. Jukheyr's head cocked, eyes glinting like it knew something. "Drop it," Jukheyr said, squinting at the wall. "It's...safe."

The heat would not abate when the dome would fall, not when the surrounding landscape had been transformed; the forest had been made into ash, every tree, every shrub, every ounce of dirt had been made gray through the thorough wash of flame. A flood of fire sunk into the earth, still squirming beneath one's notice, streaming over the scorched ground from-

"Ansell?"

Ansell's eyes opened with a snuffing flame, blinking away firelight until his dark eyes stared back at Jukheyr. Ansell's expression was one of focus, arms at his sides, crouching with his wings melding through the ground. Flame poured off him, hands channeling the power directly into the earth, fighting against the life that was all too eager to spawn.

"I'm fine," Ansell finally answered, voice strained. "That was just - a lot, and I can't-" Ansell gasped as an insect head burst from the ground ahead of him, a snarling, hideous creature; it was a crumbling husk of ash a moment later, Ansell's fire devouring it. Ansell shared a shocked glance with Jukheyr, the vulture staring back just as petrified. "I can't keep this up, I'm- I'm going to-" Ansell bit back his words, teeth gritting as he dipped down into his strange magic, fire bursting anew from his fingers.

"I'm going to leave. Jukheyr, I need you to stay. I need you to tell them."

Jukheyr's thoughts went to his family, to his mothers. "I will."

Ansell breathed hard, nodding hard, features agonized by strain. "A-Amaris, I'll find you." Ansell's wings rose from the ground, preparing for flight. "W-wait, okay? Just wait."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Primarily Prefer Male
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
Amaris kept the corner of her gaze locked on Ansell, even as the vast majority of her attention was devoted to maintaining the blood barrier that was currently undergoing the ruthless assault. Despite her sarcasm from only moments before, she had meant what she'd said. Amaris was good at nothing if not enduring, and she'd buy Ansell all the time he needed to make his decision.

Honestly, she never expected he'd be able to come to a conclusion so quickly.

She could almost feel the moment he made his resolution in the heat of the flames that flickered around his body. For one moment they seemed to exchange a glance, and then Amaris nodded. She wondered what decision he'd made, tried to guess at his intentions in the lines of his face and the weight of his eyes.

But Amaris was no expert at understanding people, and long before she could even begin to guess at his intentions the flame around him swelled further, and Ansell blasted through the barrier, carving a hole through the tough, bloody fibers. The instant he passed through they began to weave back together, sealing the hole and swallowing the brief view of the monsters outside almost instantly. A moment later and a baptism of flame enveloped the dome, causing the temperature to skyrocket. Amaris felt as the roof of her mouth instantly dried out from the intensity of the heat, while needles of pain ran up and down her exposed skin.

The flames surged higher and higher, the sound of rushing air all they could hear. And then it faded away.

Amaris allowed the blood dome to drop at Jukheyr's words, before her eyes locked on to Ansell, one brow raised. Their fight at his house had already shown that a blast of flame wouldn't be enough to stop them for long, but the wasteland around them created from Ansell's flame would buy them a few seconds, maybe half a minute at best, before more could appear from within the earth and work their way over.

"What are you planning, kid?" Amaris asked, but Ansell didn't seem to hear her. His eyes seemed distant, focused entirely on whatever thoughts were consuming him. So she didn't press the issue, instead watching the exchange between him and Jukheyr, waiting to hear his decision.

And then he finally said it. Leave. He was going to leave.

Even as weak as she was at understanding people, Amaris could understand that Ansell was almost panicking. There was little she could do for him other than nod and agree.

"Don't worry," she replied, calm. Maybe reassuring. "I'll stick with Jukheyr until we're all clear of that shrub's land."

• Love
Reactions: Ragamoofin