• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow morning is fine ^_^
though I'm not sure what you mean about Friday?
Oh lol, I just noticed. Friday. Omfg. Sunday. Ohh, big woops on my part. Really have to get my sense of time straight. Literally forgot about my weekends. Which honestly, is relatively true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you don't include internet people, the only foreigners I know are a few I met on holidays and foreign exchanges, besides sword guy who is a family friend. The dubbed ones are only good when the anime is actually set in England, where Japanese doesn't make much sense. This is basically a perfect example of why dubbed sucks :D

I didn't even try. Haha~
I used to watch dubbed whenever subbed animes were unavailable.

Totally going from Black Butler but their accents are cute. Elizabeth = Elizabesu or at least, that's how I hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even try. Haha~
I used to watch dubbed whenever subbed animes were unavailable.

Totally going from Black Butler but their accents are cute. Elizabeth = Elizabesu or at least, that's how I hear it.
Well, Elizabesu is how they say it since there's no 'th' sound in Japanese, so they use 'su' to replace it, usually. Though, particularly talented VAs can do 'th' n stuff.

Well, Elizabesu is how they say it since there's no 'th' sound in Japanese, so they use 'su' to replace it, usually. Though, particularly talented VAs can do 'th' n stuff.

I only knew the L being pronounced as "R" so technically, I made a mistake. Since it's not "Elizabesu" but "Erizabesu" sometimes, I wish I had an accent that's fairly recognizable.

I only knew the L being pronounced as "R" so technically, I made a mistake. Since it's not "Elizabesu" but "Erizabesu" sometimes, I wish I had an accent that's fairly recognizable.
Actually, the 'R' sound in Japanese is only romanized as 'R'. In reality, it's somewhere between L and R; depending on your accent, some people say it as R and some people say it as L, and even between words it can change. In some circumstances, it can even be a combination of D and R, as in 'Aishiteru', which is a pain in the arse to try and say if you're not used to it :D Whether you say L or R is typically just down to which part of your tongue you use, so anyone who had been a VA for any length of time would have enough control over their mouths to use either.

I t\find dubs to be pretty hit-or-miss. I try to give each version a chance. For example some of the jokes in Kill la Kill are just as funny or perhaps even funnier in the dub (though that could just be because I dont get some of the japanese-specific humor in the subs). Show by Rock was weird because some voices were horrid choices and others were matches made in heaven. A big problem is that Funimation bought out what companies it couldn't drive out of business, so 95% of all anime dubs are done by one company, and they rarely seem to add new people in major or supporting roles. And, while they have some brilliant actors... Some are one trick ponies. Had one great roll and now they are cast in every other dang anime even if their voice doesn't fit >:/
also um
that english is too good for a Japanese if the interpretations of 'english' in anime is anything to go off.
Thats... Kind of a bit racist.... Anyone is perfectly capable of learning English regardless of their country of origin, and even then it's not like people type with an accent normally.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I've been away, I've been super busy with my own writing projects. But I'm definitely still interested in joining, and I will have a character up soon, most likely tomorrow.

Reactions: - Falcon -
Also, I'm callin dibs on a Pupal. Starting at bottom of the barrel is my style.

Reactions: - Falcon -
I t\find dubs to be pretty hit-or-miss. I try to give each version a chance. For example some of the jokes in Kill la Kill are just as funny or perhaps even funnier in the dub (though that could just be because I dont get some of the japanese-specific humor in the subs). Show by Rock was weird because some voices were horrid choices and others were matches made in heaven. A big problem is that Funimation bought out what companies it couldn't drive out of business, so 95% of all anime dubs are done by one company, and they rarely seem to add new people in major or supporting roles. And, while they have some brilliant actors... Some are one trick ponies. Had one great roll and now they are cast in every other dang anime even if their voice doesn't fit >:/
Why would you bother giving each a chance? The fact still remains that 99.9% of anime are set in Japan, so using english voice actors often makes the things people actually say make zero sense. The english voices barely ever fit the characters, too, and that's almost guaranteed for any character that isn't in one of those really heavy and serious anime like Hellsing (cos anyone can sound like a violent psychopath if they try hard enough). Not to mention that Japanese as a language is just nicer to listen to, though I suppose that one is personal preference.
Thats... Kind of a bit racist.... Anyone is perfectly capable of learning English regardless of their country of origin, and even then it's not like people type with an accent normally.
It was criticising English in anime. You really think anyone could be so stupid as to think it's impossible for people to learn foreign languages?

Plus, if one was feeling extra cheeky, there was a staff painted with the colours of the rainbow.
Good to see this city has options for LGBT clerics :P

@Karakui Because English is my native language? I can play dubs as background noise and still know whats going on. Also if I really like the show I just like to observe the differences that are made. For anime that I watched when I was very young and before I knew of subs vs dubs I feel really weird watching them in the native language (Digimon is a current example, Tri is great but it feels so weird to watch in Japanese). Besides with the exception of a few anime made for like 5 year olds the days of completely removing any cultural aspect are over (unless you are a long running-series trying to keep up with your now overly convoluted continuity, lookin at you AA games). As I said before the main problem with modern dubbing is its all done by one company with a few rare exceptions which has reduced the quality by a crapload because I'm pretty sure the last time they hired new voices was like a year or two ago. They just keep the same old bloated voice cast. But I'll give you a tip: if it doesn't have vic mignogna it's probably good (Spade Dandy has him in one lesser role and is the exception to this. Seriously the Spade Dandy dub is amazing).
Really it's just a matter of personal preference overall. Also there are some folks that have a hard time reading that quickly or cant focus on the words and the actions and watch dubs over subs as a matter of practicality. Dubs aren't bad or ruining the integrity of the work they are transforming it into a way that can be spread to more people. If it wasn't for dubs I probably wouldn't have gotten into anime and that goes the same for a lot of folks.

I understand it was a joke but it's still a racist statement. What would you have done if Aria was Japanese (which is actually GMT+9 if anyone was wondering)? That certainly would have been awkward. These forums are global and you need to be considerate of that fact.

Our collab should be up fairly soon. Apologies for the delay, Falcon.

• Thank You
Reactions: Falcon
I can play dubs as background noise and still know whats going on.
Lol, at this point I know enough Japanese to be able to do that with subbed provided they're not doing an expositionary monologue.
If it wasn't for dubs I probably wouldn't have gotten into anime and that goes the same for a lot of folks.
Yeah, this is true. I think I went through 2 dubbed, if you don't include pokemon from the childhoods, before I went to subbed. Originally it was an accident that that switch happened, but it was soooo much better and I had no reason to switch back.
Really it's just a matter of personal preference overall.
Definitely. I can't stand to listen to american accents, especially those of young girls as many anime characters are, which is perhaps why I hate dubbed quite so much.
Dubs aren't bad
Although the response just above, does then make dubs bad by default, with the rare exception.

I understand it was a joke but it's still a racist statement. What would you have done if Aria was Japanese (which is actually GMT+9 if anyone was wondering)? That certainly would have been awkward. These forums are global and you need to be considerate of that fact.
It wouldn't have been awkward because Aria would have taken it as a joke - if her English were this good as a Japanese person, then she would also know that English in anime is poor at best, and therefore would have realised it was sarcastic humour. As such, who cares if it's racist, or anything else for that matter? If someone is the kind of person that takes offense from jokes then they're not someone I want to associate with anyway and arguably they should probably not be on the internet in the first place.

Funny thing is, most animé Engrish is poor because voice actors don't actually bother to learn proper English. Most Japanese don't give a fuck. There's a very strong sense of national pride and superiority present within it's day to day culture (Japan can actually be pretty racist, when it comes to this.) Because of it's collectivist social nature, it's also traditionalist and has strong out-group sentiments. The more travelled Japanese often take courses abroad and as a result master English and pronunciation on a high level, because it is within their interest to learn that. Within borders, however, that is a lot less common. There are classes that teach, young children especially (if you ever want to stay in Japan for an extended time and English is your native language, this isn't a bad option to look into,) but it's far from the norm. Saying most Japanese don't speak proper English isn't racist, it's fact.

Now if we were to pass a judgement based on that, we could consider the dialogue racist, but as is it seems pretty clean to me.

As for freedom of expression versus offending someone... I ain't going to touch that with a ten foot pole, because the amount of interpretations of "Don't be a dick." has too many connotations for this not to get political.

Also as far as animé dubs go, I find dubs make me disconnect what is being presented on screen more often than not. As such I prefer subs most of the time, even if the VA quality is less overall. Then again, pretty much everything in my country outside of kid's shows is subbed no matter where it comes from. So I'm biased.

RP-wise, I'm discussing a few things with Falcon. As such my character will be introduced on a latter date.

@Karakui Disliking dubs because they primarily use American voice actors is a valid reason, but doesn't apply to me because I am American myself so I don't hear it as an accent because it's just what I'm used to. It being up to personal preference doesn't mean "all dubs are bad" or "all dubs are good" hence, I give dubs a chance.

An offensive statement being a joke doesn't make it any less offensive. If it's from a place of ignorance it can be forgivable, live and learn you know, but if it was done to be intentionally offensive and you expect no one to call you out on it you are just being rude and brash.

@Kestrel my issue with the statement was not the idea that many Japanese folks don't know English well, as much as it was someone cant be Japanese because they wrote in English well. (With the cited reason being anime, which isn't even as big of a cultural thing as people think it is I mean it's pretty on par with typical cartoon and comicbook nerd culture here)

@Kestrel my issue with the statement was not the idea that many Japanese folks don't know English well, as much as it was someone cant be Japanese because they wrote in English well. (With the cited reason being anime, which isn't even as big of a cultural thing as people think it is I mean it's pretty on par with typical cartoon and comicbook nerd culture here)
Eh, I try to not assume the worst in people. I assumed it was just poorly phrased instead.

All right all, since the dub vs. Sub chatter is turning into a debate I'm going to ask you all to leave it here for now. If you Really need to continue the discussion you can take it to general for a discussion, or continue via PM.
Otherwise let's just say different people enjoy different things for different reasons and leave it at that.

@Karakui
As such, who cares if it's racist, or anything else for that matter?
I'm going to make this simple for you.
I care.

*points to the rules*
Treat each other with respect. Even when you disagree. Sharing differing viewpoints is fine, name calling and personal attacks are not.
You're toeing the line on that one. Thought I'd give you a heads up before you went too far. ^_^

Aye-eye captain

An offensive statement being a joke doesn't make it any less offensive. If it's from a place of ignorance it can be forgivable, live and learn you know, but if it was done to be intentionally offensive and you expect no one to call you out on it you are just being rude and brash.
Well, it kinda does because it's meant as a joke. You can't mean something as a joke and still intend to be offensive because by definition, a joke isn't serious.

All right all, since the dub vs. Sub chatter is turning into a debate I'm going to ask you all to leave it here for now. If you Really need to continue the discussion you can take it to general for a discussion, or continue via PM.
Otherwise let's just say different people enjoy different things for different reasons and leave it at that.
IMO, discussion is very important for a long-lasting RP (as long as it stays civil, anyway). It builds OOC relations and makes it a more casual and less professional atmosphere. In my experience, the more conversation going on in the OOC, the longer the RP lasts in almost direct proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.