• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
And now I feel I should apologize for building up the new Sherlock episode so much.

Apparently most other people hated those last ten minutes.

• Love
Reactions: LuckycoolHawk9
And now I feel I should apologize for building up the new Sherlock episode so much.

Apparently most other people hated those last ten minutes.
It wasn't....great

It wasn't....great
Yeah, so, if you could just... ease my paranoia by telling me that you don't think less of me for actually feeling sorry for John (since apparently everyone hates him now) then, uh, that would be great, and, I'll promise not to publicly talk about the episode ever again.

Yeah, so, if you could just... ease my paranoia by telling me that you don't think less of me for actually feeling sorry for John (since apparently everyone hates him now) then, uh, that would be great, and, I'll promise not to publicly talk about the episode ever again.
Oh I feel sorry for john as well. It's just, everything else about that.

Dat reaction time tho

Dunno why I would think less of you.

Oh I feel sorry for john as well. It's just, everything else about that.
...Wait, so, what part didn't you like?

Because all the negative reactions I've seen so far seemed to be mainly focused on John, like, "we're supposed to feel sorry for this asshole?"
Dunno why I would think less of you.
Because when I see people call a character pathetic when I never would've thought to call them that, it just makes me feel like I'm the pathetic person that no one likes. I thought the way they reacted to their struggles was relatable, because their whole world is falling apart around them and it's like there's nothing they can do to stop it, and so often I feel powerless to change my own shitty situations, so, I feel for them, but then everyone else is focused on how the character never stops whining and can't seem to do anything right. And it's like -- I can't even defend my opinion of something without comparing myself to that unlikable character, therefore painting myself in an unlikable light.

It's just like when I watched Re: Zero with STG, and, man, I wanted Subaru to get his way so bad because clearly he's trying so hard, and every time he thinks he has his shit together, he manages to overlook one tiny detail or say one thing wrong and then that's the thing that fucks up the entire timeline and causes everyone around him to die. And to me it just seemed like he was doing his fucking best, but the world around him just keeps shitting on him.

But as the series went on, I noticed that people would start to groan and roll their eyes whenever Subaru went on a "why can't I do anything right" rant, or felt sorry for himself in any capacity, like he was just some whiny character who had nothing to worry about and was still managing to make everything about himself. And I thought that was ridiculous, until the show itself went out of its way to tell Subaru that he was being selfish in his actions, and had to do something to better himself before he could get his way.

And, like, yeah, I guess that taught him to think up a more proactive way of making events go the way he wanted, and to take a more "I'll do/say what other people want so that they'll be on my side and then I can get them to do what I want" sort of way instead of just pleading and begging for people to give him a chance. But like... they still acted like him pleading and begging was being "selfish", and he was just trying to save the lives of people around him, all while being physically unable to articulate how and why he knew that anyone was going to die if events played out a certain way, which already made things extremely difficult, and... I just didn't see what was selfish about it. I mean yeah he definitely had some stupid moments where it came to trying to help Emilia by blatantly lying to her and breaking his promises to her, but even then, he was trying to help. ...He was being stupid, and didn't do a good job of thinking through his actions, but he still thought he was doing the right thing, so, I didn't see it as selfish.

And for everyone else to groan and call him an unlikable character just made me feel like I was being annoying and unlikable for also dealing with a lot of shit in life and feeling like there was nothing I could do to make it better. And I also felt like I was being "selfish" just for trying so hard to make life work, even when I felt like I didn't have the skills or assets to get the results I wanted.

And this whole thing about John is sort of a similar situation. Yeah, he made some mistakes throughout the episode, but like, his life is so crazy, I feel like I wouldn't have done any better??? And I find his mistakes sort of understandable??? And so it makes me feel like I'm in the wrong for feeling sorry for him. And that no one else should feel sorry for me, because if I'm as bad as him, then clearly I haven't done enough to deserve anyone's sympathy.

In just the last bit, the preddictability of it.

As soon as mary got there I was like, "Oh, she's going die". I mean, I know that that may be effected by the knowledge that Mary dies in the old books. I dunno, it was just eh~ The entire episode was eh~.

Her last message was cliché. The indenity of the villain made me feel like it was basically CSI. There was no mystery, it was juse suddenly "And it's this person!". While it seemed I was one of the few people who liked season three. This was just so eh~. Which compared to the standards of sherlock, is kinda shit.

Also, one thing that made me laugh was the fact that she randomly picked places to go. And yet had a passport and weapon in that place. Like, does she have that for every place in the world?. That's a lot of passports and guns.

John is the one person I can relate with. His life is constiently shat on by everything. Mary basically died because of sherlock.

I can't help but wonder what the hell was the point of mary's story? Oh she's a super spy (for...some reason), oh and she's dead .Woop. I dunno, I never really liked her. She never really fit in I think.

Oh and can I say, the editing in the episode was super distracting. That one bit where it change scene with the walk breaking made me jump. The shark thing was stupid. Well, most of the effects were distracting. I usually love what they do, but this episode I just really didn't like it.

I'm still gonna watch Sherlock obvs, because I liked season 3. And I still think they can pull off some good stuff. (Also, I want to see...whatever yo ucall the Actor who played the dreamlord be what I assume is the main villain this season.)

Basically feels like Moffat and Gatiss are just kinda shit at character v character emotional drama.

Everything John did was understandable, I can understand why he's doing it.

One thing I can also say is that the therapist bit was a bit meh as well. As it popped to that bit I was like "Oh it's going to be sherlock." and it was. This kinda sounds like I'm basically saying "I can predict this" while swindling a wine glass but still.

Because when I see people call a character pathetic when I never would've thought to call them that, it just makes me feel like I'm the pathetic person that no one likes. I thought the way they reacted to their struggles was relatable, because their whole world is falling apart around them and it's like there's nothing they can do to stop it, and so often I feel powerless to change my own shitty situations, so, I feel for them, but then everyone else is focused on how the character never stops whining and can't seem to do anything right. And it's like -- I can't even defend my opinion of something without comparing myself to that unlikable character, therefore painting myself in an unlikable light.

It's just like when I watched Re: Zero with STG, and, man, I wanted Subaru to get his way so bad because clearly he's trying so hard, and every time he thinks he has his shit together, he manages to overlook one tiny detail or say one thing wrong and then that's the thing that fucks up the entire timeline and causes everyone around him to die. And to me it just seemed like he was doing his fucking best, but the world around him just keeps shitting on him.

But as the series went on, I noticed that people would start to groan and roll their eyes whenever Subaru went on a "why can't I do anything right" rant, or felt sorry for himself in any capacity, like he was just some whiny character who had nothing to worry about and was still managing to make everything about himself. And I thought that was ridiculous, until the show itself went out of its way to tell Subaru that he was being selfish in his actions, and had to do something to better himself before he could get his way.

And, like, yeah, I guess that taught him to think up a more proactive way of making events go the way he wanted, and to take a more "I'll do/say what other people want so that they'll be on my side and then I can get them to do what I want" sort of way instead of just pleading and begging for people to give him a chance. But like... they still acted like him pleading and begging was being "selfish", and he was just trying to save the lives of people around him, all while being physically unable to articulate how and why he knew that anyone was going to die if events played out a certain way, which already made things extremely difficult, and... I just didn't see what was selfish about it. I mean yeah he definitely had some stupid moments where it came to trying to help Emilia by blatantly lying to her and breaking his promises to her, but even then, he was trying to help. ...He was being stupid, and didn't do a good job of thinking through his actions, but he still thought he was doing the right thing, so, I didn't see it as selfish.

And for everyone else to groan and call him an unlikable character just made me feel like I was being annoying and unlikable for also dealing with a lot of shit in life and feeling like there was nothing I could do to make it better. And I also felt like I was being "selfish" just for trying so hard to make life work, even when I felt like I didn't have the skills or assets to get the results I wanted.
Nah, I has the feeling that mostly everything Subaru did would be what I would do in his situation. Maybe with a bit more ability to read the room but still.

Was he unlikeable? I don't think so. I felt like a lot of people were mixing unlikeable up with flawed. This guy has watched everyone he knew in this new world die horribly. He's the only one who can change it and he can't tell anyone about what's going on because he cannot explain what he knows.

Minding the fact that with all the death, he's understandbly a bit loose in the head. I would defintely beg and grovel if I was him. In fact, I'm impressed he didn't give up sooner.

He's flawed, but likeable. It's easy to say how to do somethign when you're not the one with that much pressure under you. And also the fact that they are watching a show that then can pause and think about how proceed.

One of the one things that I would potentially put as a flaw of the show itself, with as you said, how the show consitently shits on Subaru. Over and over again. At a point it's like, okay, we get it, life is shit for him.

Another flaw one could potentially have is how quickly he just seems to be able to fix things after the magical "GET THE ANGELIC SINGING AND DOVES IN HERE" scene. Like, shit, I get that you have someone who literally worships you now. But uh, everything is still shit. That's probably due the fact that the show didn't time to show anything between that scene and him giving out a full plan, still felt kinda weird.

Speaking of that scene, it really shows the way a lot of people went with Subaru. With everyone losign their collective shit over the whole "I love..." thing. But honestly, I had no problem with. Sure, Rem is basically really cool and shit. (To the point she looses her own character.)

But Subaru is still a person, and just because she did all that stuff gives him no obligation to give back those feelings. (Which, by the end of the show. He kinda does anyway.) That's isn't how love works. (Actually, thinking about it. It's basically the 'Nice Guy' situation reversed. With people hating Subaru because he didn't love her. How very interesting.)

I see where Subaru comes from, and a lot of times it felt like the community hated him because of the silliest shit that could just be explained by saying that he is trying to deal with the fact that his life is abouslutly shit and also that he is his own person.

It's easy to complain about one's actions when it isn't real....

And this whole thing about John is sort of a similar situation. Yeah, he made some mistakes throughout the episode, but like, his life is so crazy, I feel like I wouldn't have done any better??? And I find his mistakes sort of understandable??? And so it makes me feel like I'm in the wrong for feeling sorry for him. And that no one else should feel sorry for me, because if I'm as bad as him, then clearly I haven't done enough to deserve anyone's sympathy.
The only reason one would possiblity complain about John is in the narrative sense. Funny enough, narrative isn't a thing in real life.

If anyone felt like that to a real person then they're just a bit of a douche. *Shrugs*

Just because you relate to actions of a fictional character that some people disagree with doesn't mean that you yourself don't deserve sympathy/empathy. I mean, if we treated real people like we did in fiction. We would be a bunch of sociopaths.

The only reason one would possiblity complain about John is in the narrative sense. Funny enough, narrative isn't a thing in real life.

If anyone felt like that to a real person then they're just a bit of a douche. *Shrugs*

Just because you relate to actions of a fictional character that some people disagree with doesn't mean that you yourself don't deserve sympathy/empathy. I mean, if we treated real people like we did in fiction. We would be a bunch of sociopaths.
Yeah, fair enough. It's just... I guess feeling like I'm the only one who relates to a character that everyone else hates makes me feel like the only reason I relate to that character in the first place is because of how pathetic and broken I am. I can only relate because I'm just as bad as they are. And I guess I'm also kind of afraid of people rejecting me if they find out that I'm even more pathetic and emotionally unstable than everyone already thinks. *sigh*

Anyway

I'll give a more in-depth reply to your other comments a bit later.

As soon as mary got there I was like, "Oh, she's going die". I mean, I know that that may be effected by the knowledge that Mary dies in the old books.

Oh... I didn't know she was going to die. I mean, I haven't read the books, but, yeah, that was a surprise to me. :/

Oh and can I say, the editing in the episode was super distracting. That one bit where it change scene with the walk breaking made me jump. The shark thing was stupid. Well, most of the effects were distracting. I usually love what they do, but this episode I just really didn't like it.

Oh... I liked the editing. It didn't seem that far outside their usual shtick to me.

Anyway, I can agree with you on most of your points about the actual mystery. Like I said, the majority of the episode wasn't that gripping. It was mostly the ending that I liked.

One thing I can also say is that the therapist bit was a bit meh as well. As it popped to that bit I was like "Oh it's going to be sherlock." and it was. This kinda sounds like I'm basically saying "I can predict this" while swindling a wine glass but still.

Oh... I was surprised to see that it was Sherlock... and I think that's part of why I liked the ending so much. You think it's John, which would make sense, given what happened to him -- but then seeing that it's Sherlock is such a big deal because he's not the type of person to be like this. You never see him this beat-up about something. And I think that was what got me the most -- just seeing how sad Sherlock was...

I also liked how, during that scene at the end where he was talking to Mrs. Hudson, you can see that the "replacement" John balloon is still in the room, except all the helium's gone now, so it just sort of... hangs off the table all sad-like. That was a nice touch.

One of the one things that I would potentially put as a flaw of the show itself, with as you said, how the show consitently shits on Subaru. Over and over again. At a point it's like, okay, we get it, life is shit for him.
Really I wasn't even bothered by that -- it was the fact that everything constantly shit on him and then he was still called "selfish" just because he was trying to save people's lives. >.>

But anyway, I really wasn't looking to debate the finer points of it -- I was just using Re: Zero as an example...

Was gonna go to bed, but apparently the entire steven universe bomb got leaked a month early.....

Oh, CN, how you never fail to impress me.

Was gonna go to bed, but apparently the entire steven universe bomb got leaked a month early.....

I FOR ONE WILL NOT BE WATCHING THE LEAKS.

THIS THREAD WILL BE A LEAK-FREE ZONE.

TAG YOUR SPOILERS.

I FOR ONE WILL NOT BE WATCHING THE LEAKS.

THIS THREAD WILL BE A LEAK-FREE ZONE.

TAG YOUR SPOILERS.
Can I just say,

SRGFI;HY8ALWO;3UJEGOELH GFGIRIBJHJKWUYBFLJAVHEFBMUYAJA.SE,CFAKRUGWKNJ\BVIEFKJYALHILVRYUAFUAEIYHBVLJHYEDRAFKULSEKUVYHFGIKLEYGIAEUYGRAUKJMRUGDY

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kagayours

Are we talking about early online leak or early On demand leak like Beyond? Also, why can't CN just air those damn remaining Be Cool Scooby Doo episodes. If I didn't have one fandom in a rut and another yet to be introduced, I would totally be behind claiming the Beyond fandom though... but meh.

Ok so. Rant time for a second.

I have a DVD that contains five episodes of the original Astroboy series from the 1960's. And, before you get to the main menu on this DVD, there is a disclaimer that explains how the original English audio masters for these episodes were destroyed in the '70s, and how they basically had to scour the globe to find recorded copies of these episodes in order to even put this DVD together -- and that, because of all this, the audio quality in these episodes varies significantly.

So basically, they go out of their way to warn you that the audio is really shitty in some places.

And I was like "ok, no big deal, I'll just turn the subtitles on", which I was planning on doing anyway.

But then I got to the DVD menu, and guess what I found out?

THIS DVD DOESN'T HAVE SUBTITLES.

And this baffled me simply because I was pretty sure there are laws requiring things to have subtitles/captions in this day and age. And it is especially baffling that a DVD which openly acknowledges its shitty audio wouldn't have subtitles because having shitty audio is probably the most important time to have subtitles??

Like, if a person with perfectly healthy hearing can't understand half the dialogue in some of these episodes, then... no one will.

Now, this happened a while ago, and I was going to mention it then, but I guess I forgot -- but I'm bringing it back now because I encountered another subtitle-less DVD...

Ghostbusters (2016)

AND THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT.

Like, Astroboy I could kind of understand because it was an obscure DVD that I bought at a convention and wouldn't expect to find anywhere else. And I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bootleg because it certainly looks official-enough, but it is non-region-locked, which tells me that it could've been made basically anywhere and intended to be sold online to a global audience, which might be how it got past the sorts of federal regulations that I'm pretty sure exist for this kind of thing.

BUT GHOSTBUSTERS WAS A MAJOR THEATRICAL RELEASE MOVIE. AND AN AMERICAN ONE, AT THAT.

THERE SHOULD BE SUBTITLES.

I wanted to give this movie a fair shake, but this was not a good first impression... @_@

Speaking of which, maybe I'll come back later and ramble about my opinion of the movie overall.

Now, this happened a while ago, and I was going to mention it then, but I guess I forgot -- but I'm bringing it back now because I encountered another subtitle-less DVD...

Ghostbusters (2016)

AND THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT.

Like, Astroboy I could kind of understand because it was an obscure DVD that I bought at a convention and wouldn't expect to find anywhere else. And I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bootleg because it certainly looks official-enough, but it is non-region-locked, which tells me that it could've been made basically anywhere and intended to be sold online to a global audience, which might be how it got past the sorts of federal regulations that I'm pretty sure exist for this kind of thing.

BUT GHOSTBUSTERS WAS A MAJOR THEATRICAL RELEASE MOVIE. AND AN AMERICAN ONE, AT THAT.

THERE SHOULD BE SUBTITLES.

I wanted to give this movie a fair shake, but this was not a good first impression... @_@

Speaking of which, maybe I'll come back later and ramble about my opinion of the movie overall.
I like subtitles and would personally get annoyed by that... however, that isn't as annoying as the only Disney DVD with fastplay, it gave you less than five seconds to click what you wanted and to get subtitles or anything, you had to be quick. I mostly use them in the off chance the movie decides to mutter and I am just like... " what did he/she say? I want to know."

I like subtitles and would personally get annoyed by that... however, that isn't as annoying as the only Disney DVD with fastplay, it gave you less than five seconds to click what you wanted and to get subtitles or anything, you had to be quick. I mostly use them in the off chance the movie decides to mutter and I am just like... " what did he/she say? I want to know."
Uhhh. There's no way for you to press the menu button on your remote and return to the main menu so you can play around with the settings a bit more? O_o

And what do you mean "only Disney DVD with fastplay"? I thought lots of Disney DVD's had that feature? (Although to be honest, I don't even remember what fastplay is supposed to do...)

Uhhh. There's no way for you to press the menu button on your remote and return to the main menu so you can play around with the settings a bit more? O_o

And what do you mean "only Disney DVD with fastplay"? I thought lots of Disney DVD's had that feature? (Although to be honest, I don't even remember what fastplay is supposed to do...)
Many do, but not all of them do. It basically automically starts the movie and if I am going to be honest, I am pretty sure the menu button doesn't do anything.

Many do, but not all of them do. It basically automically starts the movie and if I am going to be honest, I am pretty sure the menu button doesn't do anything.
I've seen plenty of DVD's that automatically skip to the movie and don't take you to the menu if you don't do anything, but you can still press the menu button to get to the DVD menu once it starts...

And doesn't Disney always advertise their DVD's as having a shitton of special features, besides? There'd be no way to get to those special features if you couldn't access the DVD menu.

I suppose it's possible that it won't let you press the menu button to skip the previews (as some DVD's don't give you any way of skipping those). But once it starts to get to the actual movie, then, yeah, you should be able to press the menu button to get to the actual menu.

Reactions: Takumi
@neobendium @AquaTheLita @chaosheart13 @Takumi @Gwazi Magnum @LuckycoolHawk9 @Raven

Heyyyy guyyyys.

I just wanted to let you all know -- that Iwaku is currently looking for more staff members. And that I, a GM with many RP's, am using my presence as GM to encourage you all to consider applying to become a staff member. ^^

Soooo if any of you think you have the free time and want to help Iwaku out, then, please, consider applying. :D
Uh... I don't think I can handle staffing two sites at the same time.
I'm gonna have to pass. :/