• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Do you need a moment to calm down?
OwO I'm ok... I think the amount of time it took to actually type all that out was serviceable in that regard...

This was mostly just a textual reenactment of my actual emotions upon learning all this news for myself -- starting with the Super Bowl commercial and then coming across everything else in pretty much the order that all of it was laid out here. OwO

But I am seriously so happy for all of these things though!!!

ALSO

IT OCCURRED TO ME

ON MY 3DS, I HAVE THE NINTENDO CONSOLE VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL SUPER MARIO FOR NES.

AND THE GLITCHES IN THAT SHIT STILL WORK.

Which means... well...

OwO" I just might have a hard time restraining myself from playing around with some things... heheheheh...

But I am definitely gonna at least catch myself a Missingno because COME ON DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MY 13-YEAR-OLD-SELF WOULD'VE REACTED IF I TOLD HER IT WOULD ONE DAY BE POSSIBLE TO DO THAT ON A FUCKING 3DS????

AAAAAAH IT IS SUCH A GOOD YEAR TO BE A POKEMON FAN!!!

WHY, YOU ASK?? WELL THERE ARE MANY REASONS. BUT BEFORE I DELVE INTO THAT LET ME FIRST SHARE THIS WONDERFUL LITTLE VIDEO WITH YOU:

IS IT TOO EARLY FOR SUPER BOWL COMMERCIALS TO BE POSTED ONLINE? YES. BUT, I DON'T CARE. BECAUSE THIS IS HONESTLY JUST BEAUTIFUL AND SO TRUE TO THE POKEMON SPIRIT AND ISN'T EVEN TRYING TO SELL ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR. IT'S JUST A CELEBRATION OF POKEMON OVERALL. AND THAT'S WONDERFUL.

And it's also great for getting you in the right hyped-up mood to get excited about EVERYTHING ELSE THIS YEAR HAS TO OFFER.

BECAUSE LIKE ANY MILESTONE ANNIVERSARY YEAR SHOULD BE, IT'S FILLED WITH FUCKIN' AMAZING NONSENSE.

Like, how about, in the spirit of an anniversary like this, we go back to Pokemon's roots with 3DS PORTS OF THE ORIGINAL GEN I GAMES.

WITH WIRELESS COMMUNICATION SUPPORT AND EVERYTHING. THAT'S RIGHT, YOU GET TO EXPERIENCE THE ORIGINAL POKEMON GAMES AS THEY WERE MEANT TO BE PLAYED, COMPLETE WITH TRADING AND BATTLING AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE -- THE CORE IDEAS THAT INSPIRED THIS ENTIRE SERIES TO BEGIN WITH.

WERE THESE GAMES A BELOVED PART OF YOUR CHILDHOOD, ALTHOUGH YOU LAMENTED THE FACT THAT YOU COULDN'T TRADE OR BATTLE ANYONE? DID YOU BUY A GAMEBOY LINK CABLE ONLY TO FIND THAT FUCKING NO ONE EVEN WANTED TO PLAY WITH YOU, AND EVEN WHEN THEY DID, THE PIECE-OF-SHIT CABLE DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING WORK RIGHT??

OR DID YOU NOT AT ALL EXPERIENCE THE SAME PARTICULAR DILEMMA THAT I FACED IN MY OWN CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCES OF THESE GAMES, BUT YOU STILL REALLY WANNA TRY OUT SOME CLASSIC POKEMON AND ACTUALLY INTERACT WITH PEOPLE ON IT???

WELL THEN YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED, BECAUSE NINTENDO'S BRINGING YOU SOME GORGEOUS CLASSIC POKEMON WHILE KEEPING INTACT THE BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE OF TRADING AND BATTLING WITH YOUR NERD FRIENDS, JUST AS IT WAS INTENDED TWENTY YEARS AGO.

BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT THE OTHER COOL THING ABOUT GEN I WAS?? "CATCHING 'EM ALL" WAS ACTUALLY KIND OF A PLAUSIBLE FUCKING TASK, so long as you could actually trade with people. When playing the game, it's easy to see that, ideally, catching a modest 150 species would be challenging but still at least within reach if you could only trade to get the ones that you'll otherwise never have. Linking up with someone not possible for you?? TOO BAD. I GUESS YOU'RE NOT GETTING THOSE VERSION EXCLUSIVES OR THE OTHER TWO STARTERS. MUCH LESS ANYTHING THAT EVOLVES SPECIFICALLY BY TRADING. YOU'RE SHIT OUT OF LUCK, KID.

UNTIL NOW.

And yes, I did say "150" and not "151", cuz, in the original games, they literally never even programmed in any way to encounter Mew. Hell, Mew wasn't even originally planned to be in the game to begin with! They snuck it in at the last minute and a good chunk of the development team didn't even know about it until after the game's release. And it shows, too -- given the fact that Gen I Mew only learns a grand total of five moves by leveling up, but is compatible with literally ALL TM's and HM's (I guess they didn't have much time to program specifics on that front), and uh, oh yeah, there's also the fact that ITS CODE IS IN THE GAME, AND IT IS A PERFECTLY FUNCTIONAL POKEMON IN EVERY REGARD, BUT THEY LITERALLY NEVER PROGRAMMED ANY WAY FOR YOU TO ACTUALLY ENCOUNTER IT (which is why, famously, the only way to obtain Mew in Gen I is by exploiting a glitch). Oh, and it's ALSO the reason -- for all you Pokemon fans who were kept awake at night as a kid pondering this -- why Mew comes after Mewtwo in the Pokedex. Cuz originally only Mewtwo was supposed to actually be in the game to begin with, and they tacked Mew onto the end later. ...Which would also explain why the final count even wound up being 151 as opposed to keeping it at a nice, marketable number like 150. (THAT'S A FUN BIT OF POKEMON TRIVIA FOR YA!!!)

But, back to the point -- is it likely that the 3DS ports of Red/Blue/Yellow will have patched the aforementioned glitch that was previously the only way of getting Mew? (Along with probably a lot of other glitches because uh, yeah, there were a FUCKING TON OF THEM in Gen I, even way beyond the really infamous ones.) Unfortunately, that is a distinct possibility -- especially since that glitch can do a lot more than summoning Mew. Screw around with it too much and you can unleash HELL and it is literally the reason why I can't even walk onto route 7 anymore on my old copy of Red without the game fucking up in all sorts of freaky ways. And while I'm probably not the only one who would fucking fangirl squeal upon seeing a Missingno on a fucking 3DS screen, it's rather understandable as to why Gamefreak might want to patch a lot of this crazy shit up. (Kind of makes me wonder if they can really catch everything, though. There were just so many glitches...)

BUT, THAT SAID, does this mean that, since using the 3DS console's superior technology to remedy the flaws of some old games is apparently a possibility, it's plausible that they might actually try to hand out actual MYSTERY GIFTS for Mew in this game?? Well, I don't know. That's kind of wishful thinking, and I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't really give us any way to encounter Mew at all. And honestly? I'd be ok with that -- since being able to collect 150 Pokemon by trading with other people precisely the way it was intended is more than good enough for me.

Besides, it's been fucking forever since they gave out an event Mew. That thing's probably one of the rarest and most coveted -- if not the rarest and coveted -- event Pokemon on the market right now, if only because I'm pretty sure there hasn't been an event for it since Gen III.

So, even the idea of a Mew mystery gift on the current generation of Pokemon games just seems like something that'll never happeOH WAIT WAIT WAIT.

WAIT.

MEW MYSTERY GIFT FOR GEN VI, YOU SAY???

WELL HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS, CUZ MEW'S COMING, AND IT'S NOT ALONE!!!.

THAT'S RIGHT, NOT ONLY DO YOU GET MEW, FUCKING MEW AS AN EVENT STARTING NEXT MONTH, BUT 2016 WILL ALSO BRING US A GRAND TOTAL OF ELEVEN. EVENT. POKEMON. AND I DON'T MEAN EVENTS AS IN "HERE'S SOME COOL SORT OF RARE POKEMON THAT YOU COULD PLAUSIBLY CATCH ON YOUR OWN BUT WE'RE HANDING IT OUT FOR FREE CUZ IT'S STILL COOL AND RARE" -- NO, I MEAN, EVENT-ONLY POKEMON, SHIT LIKE MEW AND CELEBI AND ALL THOSE OTHER FANCY PANTSY CANNOT-TRADE-THIS-ON-THE-GTS-FOR-SOME-REASON-EVEN-THOUGH-PLAYERS-ARE-STILL-CAPABLE-OF-ASKING-FOR-IT-ON-THE-GTS-FOR-SOME-REASON SPECIES THAT'VE SPENT THE PAST 20 YEARS CLUTTERING UP THE POKEDEX WITH SLOTS THAT HAVE SLIM-TO-NONE CHANCES OF BEING FILLED BECAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON UNLESS GAMEFREAK DECIDES TO BE GENEROUS AT JUST THE RIGHT TIME -- EMPTY SLOTS THAT JUST SIT THERE, TAUNTING YOU, LIKE VERSION-EXCLUSIVES ON THE POKEDEX OF A FUCKING GEN I GAME THAT'S NEVER BEEN ABLE TO CONNECT TO ANYTHING EVER.

BUT NO MORE, CUZ NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO CATCH UP WITH ELEVEN. EVENT. POKEMON., ALL THROUGHOUT THIS GLORIOUS YEAR.

ARE YOU EVEN HEARING ME??? AN EVENT FOR ANOTHER RARE EVENT-ONLY SPECIES EVERY MONTH STARTING IN FEBRUARY!!!

Have I convinced you that 2016 is the best year in Pokemon yet??? Well don't be convinced just yet, because I feel I should remind you all that POKEMON GO NEVER STOPPED BEING A THING.

YEAH, THAT'S COMING OUT THIS YEAR, TOO. Oh, wait, what's that?? You're still skeptical of the game living up to what you hoped it would be, because you couldn't get any concrete info from those beautiful but admittedly not-very-informative trailers??? Well APPARENTLY YOU MISSED THE UPDATE ON THAT, BECAUSE NOT ONLY WILL DIFFERENT SPECIES OF POKEMON BE PRESENT IN THE ENVIRONMENT YOU'RE IN (JUST LIKE WE HOPED), AND NOT ONLY WILL THERE BE LIVE EVENTS THAT MULTIPLE PEOPLE IN THE AREA CAN GET IN ON (LIKE THE TRAILER SUGGESTED WITH THE MEWTWO THING), BUT THERE'LL EVEN BE GYMS.

FUCKING. GYMS.

YOU GET TO GO AND PHYSICALLY TRAVEL ACROSS THE LAND, SEARCHING FAR AND WIDE, LITERALLY EXPLORING NEW REAL-WORLD AREAS IN SEARCH FOR RARE SPECIES OF POKEMON; YOU GET TO BATTLE AND TRAIN THOSE LOVELY THINGS SO THEY GET STRONGER; YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO TRADE WITH PEOPLE SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE IT GIVES YOU A CHANCE TO OBTAIN SPECIES THAT WERE CAUGHT SOMEPLACE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO (*foams at the mouth*); AND THEN, WHEN YOU'RE READY TO PUT YOUR POKEMON SKILLS TO THE TEST,

YOU CAN CHALLENGE

ACTUAL. POKEMON. GYMS.

SO IF YOU WERE GETTING HYPED UP JUST THINKING ABOUT HOW THE 3DS PORTS OF GEN I ARE GONNA LET YOU EXPERIENCE THE TRUEST, PUREST SPIRIT OF POKEMON EXACTLY AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE EXPERIENCED, I JUST WANT YOU TO CONSIDER THIS FUCKING APP -- BECAUSE I DON'T THINK ANYTHING CAN MORE CLEARLY CAPTURE EVERYTHING THAT POKEMON WAS SUPPOSED TO FEEL LIKE, AND EVERYTHING THAT THOSE ORIGINAL GAME DEVELOPERS TRIED SO HARD TO INCORPORATE INTO THOSE FIRST FEW GAMES, EVEN THOUGH TECHNOLOGY AT THE TIME COULD ONLY DO SO MUCH, AND THE REST HAD TO BE FILLED IN WITH YOUR IMAGINATION.

BUT NOW WE HAVE THIS, AND THE DREAM OF BEING A POKEMON MASTER HAS NEVER FELT MORE REAL.

2016 IS GONNA BE AN ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL YEAR. ;w;
You never got to play with people using the link cable?
That's... So sad. :(

Also, you should make this a General Chat thread. :P

ALSO

You never got to play with people using the link cable?
That's... So sad. :(
I DID EXPERIENCE THIS WITH GEN II GAMES. BUT NOT GEN I. BECAUSE THE CABLE NEVER FUCKING WORKED RIGHT FOR GEN I GAMES. FOR SOME REASON. >:/

I mean, you could tell that the game at least sensed that there was a cable plugged in, but... I never could get it to actually properly connect between two Gen I games. I don't know what I was doing wrong. :/

GEN II, THOUGH, I HAD A LOT OF FUN WITH THAT. :D Especially when it came to that one Crystal version that I fucked up nearly beyond recognition... and then I managed to find a way to bypass the game's filter that's supposed to prevent you from trading glitch Pokemon... because of course I did.

And I watched the glitchiness spread to other games like some kind of horrible disease... an infection that I created... OwO (Disclaimer: I only spread the glitchy plague to willing volunteers. I didn't just hand it off to unsuspecting players. @_@ I don't know why I had willing volunteers, though...)

Yeah I don't think you guys realize how deep it goes with me and the glitch Pokemon like really.

ALSO

The fact that playing Crystal with a female avatar and then connecting to a copy of Gold/Silver results in your on-screen self literally crossdressing never ceased to amuse me. XD

I DID EXPERIENCE THIS WITH GEN II GAMES. BUT NOT GEN I. BECAUSE THE CABLE NEVER FUCKING WORKED RIGHT FOR GEN I GAMES. FOR SOME REASON. >:/
Oh... Ok. XD

Honestly when I got into pokemon I was given both Yellow and Gold at the same time...
Lost Yellow rather early (misplaced it and the gameboy at the mall), which left me with Gold.

Probably why my favourite region is Johto.
GEN II, THOUGH, I HAD A LOT OF FUN WITH THAT. :D Especially when it came to that one Crystal version that I fucked up nearly beyond recognition... and then I managed to find a way to bypass the game's filter that's supposed to prevent you from trading glitch Pokemon... because of course I did.

And I watched the glitchiness spread to other games like some kind of horrible disease... an infection that I created... OwO (Disclaimer: I only spread the glitchy plague to willing volunteers. I didn't just hand it off to unsuspecting players. @_@ I don't know why I had willing volunteers, though...)

Yeah I don't think you guys realize how deep it goes with me and the glitch Pokemon like really.
Missingno?
The fact that playing Crystal with a female avatar and then connecting to a copy of Gold/Silver results in your on-screen self literally crossdressing never ceased to amuse me. XD
What about female Mr.Mimes? :P

Missingno?
AAAAAAHAHAHAHAH NO.

NOW LISTEN HERE.

MISSINGNO IS A RELATIVELY HARMLESS, LARGELY MISUNDERSTOOD GLITCH. POOR THING DOESN'T DESERVE THE FLACK IT GETS.

But seriously though, despite its infamy, it isn't nearly as volatile as many would have you believe. All those rumors that it would erase your save file if you caught it and then saved? Completely false. Catch all the Missingno you want -- I know I got plenty. The scope of what a Missingno can even do to your game is... rather limited, actually, and almost all of it is completely reversible without even needing to start a new game.

There are a number of different "breeds" of Missingno that can come with slightly different effects, but, for the most part, here's what your average Missingno can do to your game:
  • Create an "infinite" number of whatever item is in the 6th slot in your bag. (And it isn't even infinite, really -- it's just that the number value is all garbled up cuz the game doesn't know how to display a number bigger than 99. I'm pretty sure the actual number you get is 256, iirc -- and even then, that item slot will return to normal once you use/toss/sell enough of said item to bring it back down to 99.)
  • Cause graphical glitches when used in battle, such as pixelating sprites and causing them to face the wrong direction. (I understand how this can seem scary, but uh, not so much when you realize that it's very easy to change back to normal -- all you have to do is view the stats page of a normal, non-glitched Pokemon :P ).
  • Corrupt the data in your Hall of Fame, causing the Hall of Fame to display freaky, garbled messes that don't at all resemble the actual Pokemon you beat the Elite Four with.
^ And that bottom one there is the only thing Missingno can do that isn't reversible without resetting the game -- and it doesn't even really interrupt gameplay at all. Not to mention, if you beat the Elite Four again, all new entries in the Hall of Fame will look just fine -- it's only the entries that already existed upon encountering Missingo that'll get screwed up. :P As for Missingno itself, yeah, it has some weird properties as far as its status as a Pokemon are concerned -- such as being "bird" type (which, mind you, there is no such thing -- the closest equivalent is "flying"), and usually appearing at some impossible level past lv 100. But, all of those weird little quirks do actually nothing to affect gameplay overall. You can easily release Missingno and return to a game that's pretty much exactly the same as it was before (except for, as mentioned, the Hall of Fame thing -- and a shitton of a particular item if you don't want to get rid of them all).

There's also 'M, which is similar to Missingno, and, admittedly, slightly more volatile, but still not really very dangerous at all. All you have to watch out for with this one is that, if you plan on catching it, you have to remember to keep room for it in your party -- because trying to withdraw it from the PC will crash the game. But that's the ONLY real danger present with 'M. Aside from that, it mostly does a lot of the same stuff Missingno can do -- as well as a few other quirky but not-really-harmful glitches.

Missingno doesn't really deserve its reputation as some big, scary, all-powerful glitch monster. It's the precious little baby of the glitch Pokemon world. :P In fact, if these rumors have ANY truth to them, they MIGHT be the result of people using the word "Missingno" to refer to just about any glitch Pokemon, even though there's an important distinction to be made between a lot of them -- especially given the fact that, while Missingno is mostly harmless, there ARE glitch Pokemon in the game that are MUCH worse, and DO have the potential to wipe out your save file. @_@ Thankfully, these volatile glitches are much harder to encounter, so it's nearly impossible to just accidentally bump into one and have it fuck your shit up.

(Also, I suppose I should clarify that when referring to Missingno in all these cases, I'm not including "Yellow Missingno", an extremely freaky glitch Pokemon only obtainable in Yellow and resembling all other forms of Missingno pretty much only by name, as Yellow Missingno is a vastly different story...)

ALSO, MISSINGNO ISN'T EVEN A THING IN GEN II. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are glitches in Gen II -- perhaps even more of them than in Gen I, debatably -- but none of them are Missingno. :P

And the shit I fucked around with in that one Crystal version that one time... much, much worse than anything a measly old Missingno could dish out.

AND THERE'S A VERY INTERESTING STORY BEHIND WHAT I DID TO THAT CRYSTAL VERSION, but I really should save it for tomorrow, cuz it's already quite late and I really should be getting to bed.

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAH NO.

NOW LISTEN HERE.

MISSINGNO IS A RELATIVELY HARMLESS, LARGELY MISUNDERSTOOD GLITCH. POOR THING DOESN'T DESERVE THE FLACK IT GETS.

But seriously though, despite its infamy, it isn't nearly as volatile as many would have you believe. All those rumors that it would erase your save file if you caught it and then saved? Completely false. Catch all the Missingno you want -- I know I got plenty. The scope of what a Missingno can even do to your game is... rather limited, actually, and almost all of it is completely reversible without even needing to start a new game.

There are a number of different "breeds" of Missingno that can come with slightly different effects, but, for the most part, here's what your average Missingno can do to your game:
  • Create an "infinite" number of whatever item is in the 6th slot in your bag. (And it isn't even infinite, really -- it's just that the number value is all garbled up cuz the game doesn't know how to display a number bigger than 99. I'm pretty sure the actual number you get is 256, iirc -- and even then, that item slot will return to normal once you use/toss/sell enough of said item to bring it back down to 99.)
  • Cause graphical glitches when used in battle, such as pixelating sprites and causing them to face the wrong direction. (I understand how this can seem scary, but uh, not so much when you realize that it's very easy to change back to normal -- all you have to do is view the stats page of a normal, non-glitched Pokemon :P ).
  • Corrupt the data in your Hall of Fame, causing the Hall of Fame to display freaky, garbled messes that don't at all resemble the actual Pokemon you beat the Elite Four with.
^ And that bottom one there is the only thing Missingno can do that isn't reversible without resetting the game -- and it doesn't even really interrupt gameplay at all. Not to mention, if you beat the Elite Four again, all new entries in the Hall of Fame will look just fine -- it's only the entries that already existed upon encountering Missingo that'll get screwed up. :P As for Missingno itself, yeah, it has some weird properties as far as its status as a Pokemon are concerned -- such as being "bird" type (which, mind you, there is no such thing -- the closest equivalent is "flying"), and usually appearing at some impossible level past lv 100. But, all of those weird little quirks do actually nothing to affect gameplay overall. You can easily release Missingno and return to a game that's pretty much exactly the same as it was before (except for, as mentioned, the Hall of Fame thing -- and a shitton of a particular item if you don't want to get rid of them all).

There's also 'M, which is similar to Missingno, and, admittedly, slightly more volatile, but still not really very dangerous at all. All you have to watch out for with this one is that, if you plan on catching it, you have to remember to keep room for it in your party -- because trying to withdraw it from the PC will crash the game. But that's the ONLY real danger present with 'M. Aside from that, it mostly does a lot of the same stuff Missingno can do -- as well as a few other quirky but not-really-harmful glitches.

Missingno doesn't really deserve its reputation as some big, scary, all-powerful glitch monster. It's the precious little baby of the glitch Pokemon world. :P In fact, if these rumors have ANY truth to them, they MIGHT be the result of people using the word "Missingno" to refer to just about any glitch Pokemon, even though there's an important distinction to be made between a lot of them -- especially given the fact that, while Missingno is mostly harmless, there ARE glitch Pokemon in the game that are MUCH worse, and DO have the potential to wipe out your save file. @_@ Thankfully, these volatile glitches are much harder to encounter, so it's nearly impossible to just accidentally bump into one and have it fuck your shit up.

(Also, I suppose I should clarify that when referring to Missingno in all these cases, I'm not including "Yellow Missingno", an extremely freaky glitch Pokemon only obtainable in Yellow and resembling all other forms of Missingno pretty much only by name, as Yellow Missingno is a vastly different story...)

ALSO, MISSINGNO ISN'T EVEN A THING IN GEN II. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are glitches in Gen II -- perhaps even more of them than in Gen I, debatably -- but none of them are Missingno. :P

And the shit I fucked around with in that one Crystal version that one time... much, much worse than anything a measly old Missingno could dish out.

AND THERE'S A VERY INTERESTING STORY BEHIND WHAT I DID TO THAT CRYSTAL VERSION, but I really should save it for tomorrow, cuz it's already quite late and I really should be getting to bed.
Ok... BUT THEN WHAT IS THE GLITCH POKEMON!?

*Waits for tomorrow*

WHEN DOES IT COME OUT.

Also I've never been much of a Pkmn fan but I really wanna get the new Ruby and Sapphire.

AAAAAAH IT IS SUCH A GOOD YEAR TO BE A POKEMON FAN!!!

WHY, YOU ASK?? WELL THERE ARE MANY REASONS. BUT BEFORE I DELVE INTO THAT LET ME FIRST SHARE THIS WONDERFUL LITTLE VIDEO WITH YOU:

IS IT TOO EARLY FOR SUPER BOWL COMMERCIALS TO BE POSTED ONLINE? YES. BUT, I DON'T CARE. BECAUSE THIS IS HONESTLY JUST BEAUTIFUL AND SO TRUE TO THE POKEMON SPIRIT AND ISN'T EVEN TRYING TO SELL ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR. IT'S JUST A CELEBRATION OF POKEMON OVERALL. AND THAT'S WONDERFUL.

And it's also great for getting you in the right hyped-up mood to get excited about EVERYTHING ELSE THIS YEAR HAS TO OFFER.

BECAUSE LIKE ANY MILESTONE ANNIVERSARY YEAR SHOULD BE, IT'S FILLED WITH FUCKIN' AMAZING NONSENSE.

Like, how about, in the spirit of an anniversary like this, we go back to Pokemon's roots with 3DS PORTS OF THE ORIGINAL GEN I GAMES.

WITH WIRELESS COMMUNICATION SUPPORT AND EVERYTHING. THAT'S RIGHT, YOU GET TO EXPERIENCE THE ORIGINAL POKEMON GAMES AS THEY WERE MEANT TO BE PLAYED, COMPLETE WITH TRADING AND BATTLING AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE -- THE CORE IDEAS THAT INSPIRED THIS ENTIRE SERIES TO BEGIN WITH.

WERE THESE GAMES A BELOVED PART OF YOUR CHILDHOOD, ALTHOUGH YOU LAMENTED THE FACT THAT YOU COULDN'T TRADE OR BATTLE ANYONE? DID YOU BUY A GAMEBOY LINK CABLE ONLY TO FIND THAT FUCKING NO ONE EVEN WANTED TO PLAY WITH YOU, AND EVEN WHEN THEY DID, THE PIECE-OF-SHIT CABLE DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING WORK RIGHT??

OR DID YOU NOT AT ALL EXPERIENCE THE SAME PARTICULAR DILEMMA THAT I FACED IN MY OWN CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCES OF THESE GAMES, BUT YOU STILL REALLY WANNA TRY OUT SOME CLASSIC POKEMON AND ACTUALLY INTERACT WITH PEOPLE ON IT???

WELL THEN YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED, BECAUSE NINTENDO'S BRINGING YOU SOME GORGEOUS CLASSIC POKEMON WHILE KEEPING INTACT THE BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE OF TRADING AND BATTLING WITH YOUR NERD FRIENDS, JUST AS IT WAS INTENDED TWENTY YEARS AGO.

BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT THE OTHER COOL THING ABOUT GEN I WAS?? "CATCHING 'EM ALL" WAS ACTUALLY KIND OF A PLAUSIBLE FUCKING TASK, so long as you could actually trade with people. When playing the game, it's easy to see that, ideally, catching a modest 150 species would be challenging but still at least within reach if you could only trade to get the ones that you'll otherwise never have. Linking up with someone not possible for you?? TOO BAD. I GUESS YOU'RE NOT GETTING THOSE VERSION EXCLUSIVES OR THE OTHER TWO STARTERS. MUCH LESS ANYTHING THAT EVOLVES SPECIFICALLY BY TRADING. YOU'RE SHIT OUT OF LUCK, KID.

UNTIL NOW.

And yes, I did say "150" and not "151", cuz, in the original games, they literally never even programmed in any way to encounter Mew. Hell, Mew wasn't even originally planned to be in the game to begin with! They snuck it in at the last minute and a good chunk of the development team didn't even know about it until after the game's release. And it shows, too -- given the fact that Gen I Mew only learns a grand total of five moves by leveling up, but is compatible with literally ALL TM's and HM's (I guess they didn't have much time to program specifics on that front), and uh, oh yeah, there's also the fact that ITS CODE IS IN THE GAME, AND IT IS A PERFECTLY FUNCTIONAL POKEMON IN EVERY REGARD, BUT THEY LITERALLY NEVER PROGRAMMED ANY WAY FOR YOU TO ACTUALLY ENCOUNTER IT (which is why, famously, the only way to obtain Mew in Gen I is by exploiting a glitch). Oh, and it's ALSO the reason -- for all you Pokemon fans who were kept awake at night as a kid pondering this -- why Mew comes after Mewtwo in the Pokedex. Cuz originally only Mewtwo was supposed to actually be in the game to begin with, and they tacked Mew onto the end later. ...Which would also explain why the final count even wound up being 151 as opposed to keeping it at a nice, marketable number like 150. (THAT'S A FUN BIT OF POKEMON TRIVIA FOR YA!!!)

But, back to the point -- is it likely that the 3DS ports of Red/Blue/Yellow will have patched the aforementioned glitch that was previously the only way of getting Mew? (Along with probably a lot of other glitches because uh, yeah, there were a FUCKING TON OF THEM in Gen I, even way beyond the really infamous ones.) Unfortunately, that is a distinct possibility -- especially since that glitch can do a lot more than summoning Mew. Screw around with it too much and you can unleash HELL and it is literally the reason why I can't even walk onto route 7 anymore on my old copy of Red without the game fucking up in all sorts of freaky ways. And while I'm probably not the only one who would fucking fangirl squeal upon seeing a Missingno on a fucking 3DS screen, it's rather understandable as to why Gamefreak might want to patch a lot of this crazy shit up. (Kind of makes me wonder if they can really catch everything, though. There were just so many glitches...)

BUT, THAT SAID, does this mean that, since using the 3DS console's superior technology to remedy the flaws of some old games is apparently a possibility, it's plausible that they might actually try to hand out actual MYSTERY GIFTS for Mew in this game?? Well, I don't know. That's kind of wishful thinking, and I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't really give us any way to encounter Mew at all. And honestly? I'd be ok with that -- since being able to collect 150 Pokemon by trading with other people precisely the way it was intended is more than good enough for me.

Besides, it's been fucking forever since they gave out an event Mew. That thing's probably one of the rarest and most coveted -- if not the rarest and coveted -- event Pokemon on the market right now, if only because I'm pretty sure there hasn't been an event for it since Gen III.

So, even the idea of a Mew mystery gift on the current generation of Pokemon games just seems like something that'll never happeOH WAIT WAIT WAIT.

WAIT.

MEW MYSTERY GIFT FOR GEN VI, YOU SAY???

WELL HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS, CUZ MEW'S COMING, AND IT'S NOT ALONE!!!.

THAT'S RIGHT, NOT ONLY DO YOU GET MEW, FUCKING MEW AS AN EVENT STARTING NEXT MONTH, BUT 2016 WILL ALSO BRING US A GRAND TOTAL OF ELEVEN. EVENT. POKEMON. AND I DON'T MEAN EVENTS AS IN "HERE'S SOME COOL SORT OF RARE POKEMON THAT YOU COULD PLAUSIBLY CATCH ON YOUR OWN BUT WE'RE HANDING IT OUT FOR FREE CUZ IT'S STILL COOL AND RARE" -- NO, I MEAN, EVENT-ONLY POKEMON, SHIT LIKE MEW AND CELEBI AND ALL THOSE OTHER FANCY PANTSY CANNOT-TRADE-THIS-ON-THE-GTS-FOR-SOME-REASON-EVEN-THOUGH-PLAYERS-ARE-STILL-CAPABLE-OF-ASKING-FOR-IT-ON-THE-GTS-FOR-SOME-REASON SPECIES THAT'VE SPENT THE PAST 20 YEARS CLUTTERING UP THE POKEDEX WITH SLOTS THAT HAVE SLIM-TO-NONE CHANCES OF BEING FILLED BECAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON UNLESS GAMEFREAK DECIDES TO BE GENEROUS AT JUST THE RIGHT TIME -- EMPTY SLOTS THAT JUST SIT THERE, TAUNTING YOU, LIKE VERSION-EXCLUSIVES ON THE POKEDEX OF A FUCKING GEN I GAME THAT'S NEVER BEEN ABLE TO CONNECT TO ANYTHING EVER.

BUT NO MORE, CUZ NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO CATCH UP WITH ELEVEN. EVENT. POKEMON., ALL THROUGHOUT THIS GLORIOUS YEAR.

ARE YOU EVEN HEARING ME??? AN EVENT FOR ANOTHER RARE EVENT-ONLY SPECIES EVERY MONTH STARTING IN FEBRUARY!!!

Have I convinced you that 2016 is the best year in Pokemon yet??? Well don't be convinced just yet, because I feel I should remind you all that POKEMON GO NEVER STOPPED BEING A THING.

YEAH, THAT'S COMING OUT THIS YEAR, TOO. Oh, wait, what's that?? You're still skeptical of the game living up to what you hoped it would be, because you couldn't get any concrete info from those beautiful but admittedly not-very-informative trailers??? Well APPARENTLY YOU MISSED THE UPDATE ON THAT, BECAUSE NOT ONLY WILL DIFFERENT SPECIES OF POKEMON BE PRESENT IN THE ENVIRONMENT YOU'RE IN (JUST LIKE WE HOPED), AND NOT ONLY WILL THERE BE LIVE EVENTS THAT MULTIPLE PEOPLE IN THE AREA CAN GET IN ON (LIKE THE TRAILER SUGGESTED WITH THE MEWTWO THING), BUT THERE'LL EVEN BE GYMS.

FUCKING. GYMS.

YOU GET TO GO AND PHYSICALLY TRAVEL ACROSS THE LAND, SEARCHING FAR AND WIDE, LITERALLY EXPLORING NEW REAL-WORLD AREAS IN SEARCH FOR RARE SPECIES OF POKEMON; YOU GET TO BATTLE AND TRAIN THOSE LOVELY THINGS SO THEY GET STRONGER; YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO TRADE WITH PEOPLE SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE IT GIVES YOU A CHANCE TO OBTAIN SPECIES THAT WERE CAUGHT SOMEPLACE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO (*foams at the mouth*); AND THEN, WHEN YOU'RE READY TO PUT YOUR POKEMON SKILLS TO THE TEST,

YOU CAN CHALLENGE

ACTUAL. POKEMON. GYMS.

SO IF YOU WERE GETTING HYPED UP JUST THINKING ABOUT HOW THE 3DS PORTS OF GEN I ARE GONNA LET YOU EXPERIENCE THE TRUEST, PUREST SPIRIT OF POKEMON EXACTLY AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE EXPERIENCED, I JUST WANT YOU TO CONSIDER THIS FUCKING APP -- BECAUSE I DON'T THINK ANYTHING CAN MORE CLEARLY CAPTURE EVERYTHING THAT POKEMON WAS SUPPOSED TO FEEL LIKE, AND EVERYTHING THAT THOSE ORIGINAL GAME DEVELOPERS TRIED SO HARD TO INCORPORATE INTO THOSE FIRST FEW GAMES, EVEN THOUGH TECHNOLOGY AT THE TIME COULD ONLY DO SO MUCH, AND THE REST HAD TO BE FILLED IN WITH YOUR IMAGINATION.

BUT NOW WE HAVE THIS, AND THE DREAM OF BEING A POKEMON MASTER HAS NEVER FELT MORE REAL.

2016 IS GONNA BE AN ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL YEAR. ;w;
... I'm scared of this Kaga D:

Reactions: Kagayours
Ok... BUT THEN WHAT IS THE GLITCH POKEMON!?

*Waits for tomorrow*
Oh, this went far beyond any single, identifiable glitch.

See, it started with the fact that the Gen II games have this lovely little cloning glitch that's pretty easy to pull off. The only tricky thing about it is that it involves turning off the power while saving, and, well, if you don't time it right, you may find that you were only able to partially clone the target Pokemon... thus resulting in a glitchy mess with a bunch of missing data. @_@

As you can imagine, then, these glitch clones can all function in rather different ways and in rather varying degrees of glitchiness, depending on how much data they're missing. However, just creating a glitch clone was NOT what's particularly remarkable about all of this, because I've made a bunch of glitch clones in Gen II before, and I can't recall a single one that I couldn't easily just release and therefore remove all glitchy effects from the game. Even the ones that brought some really weird effects with them still didn't do anything long-lasting that didn't immediately go away as soon as I released the thing.

But there was one time when I created a glitch clone, and then, for some reason, I had the wild idea of, "Hey, I wonder what would happen if I put this in the Day Care, and tried to breed it with something..."

And it was aaaall downhill from there...

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Neobullseye
WHEN DOES IT COME OUT.

Also I've never been much of a Pkmn fan but I really wanna get the new Ruby and Sapphire.
When does what come out?

I listed a bunch of things, man. You gotta be more specific than that.

Oh, this went far beyond any single, identifiable glitch.

See, it started with the fact that the Gen II games have this lovely little cloning glitch that's pretty easy to pull off. The only tricky thing about it is that it involves turning off the power while saving, and, well, if you don't time it right, you may find that you were only able to partially clone the target Pokemon... thus resulting in a glitchy mess with a bunch of missing data. @_@

As you can imagine, then, these glitch clones can all function in rather different ways and in rather varying degrees of glitchiness, depending on how much data they're missing. However, just creating a glitch clone was NOT what's particularly remarkable about all of this, because I've made a bunch of glitch clones in Gen II before, and I can't recall a single one that I couldn't easily just release and therefore remove all glitchy effects from the game. Even the ones that brought some really weird effects with them still didn't do anything long-lasting that didn't immediately go away as soon as I released the thing.

But there was one time when I created a glitch clone, and then, for some reason, I had the wild idea of, "Hey, I wonder what would happen if I put this in the Day Care, and tried to breed it with something..."

And it was aaaall downhill from there...
And thus Giratina, wreaker of dimensions was born. All due to Kaga, creator of Chaos and breeder of Hellspawn... *insert dramatically dark music here*

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
ALSO

BROUGHT TO YOU FROM THE POKEMON THREAD IN GC:

...I want you to take a good, close look at this. This is real.

......This isn't the crossover that anyone asked for, but it's the one we need.

I may seem calm now but I am freaking out on the inside because sERIOUSLY WHOSE IDEA WAS THIS???? I mean, I love them, whoever they are, but really WHO SAID THAT THIS NEEDED TO EXIST????

Edit: ACTUALLY, NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT,

Does anyone remember a few years back when everyone was talking about the fact that Sherlock Holmes had officially entered the public domain, and people were wondering what sort of cool and creative things might arise out of the fact that there was no longer any copyright restriction on the original novels?

WELP. NOW WE HAVE OUR ANSWER.

YOU CAN TURN HIM INTO A PIKACHU.

BECAUSE THE WORLD NEEDED THIS.

Last edited:
Reactions: chillin
Oooooh! You mean that?
I did that shit all the time! XD

You could mess those up though? o.O
Yup. Though I admit, there were a few instances of me intentionally getting it wrong...

Also, I'm pretty sure the timing is slightly different depending on whether you're playing Crystal or Gold/Silver, so that might've had something to do with it.

WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO!?
No time. Class soon. You'll get the full story later.

I'm expecting this to be another "Hey you Pikachu" flop honestly. :/
CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW AND WHY PIKALOCK MAKES YOU THINK IT'LL BE A GAME WITH ZERO SUBSTANCE IN WHICH YOU DO NOTHING COOL AND SPEND THE ENTIRE THING TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH PIKACHU THROUGH A SHITTY MICROPHONE??

BECAUSE I DON'T SEE IT.

NOT TO MENTION, the whole point of Hey You Pikachu is that it's basically supposed to be a pet ownership game, but with Pikachu. You're hanging out with Pikachu. That's the entire game.

Here, YOU GET TO SOLVE MYSTERIES, and at least that premise gives you some actual substance to make a game out of.

ALSO, I would totally purchase this game just to hear Pikalock's voice tbh. Because it is ridiculous and I love it. OwO

Also, I'm pretty sure the timing is slightly different depending on whether you're playing Crystal or Gold/Silver, so that might've had something to do with it.
Yea... I was using Gold which may explain it.
No time. Class soon. You'll get the full story later.
CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW AND WHY PIKALOCK MAKES YOU THINK IT'LL BE A GAME WITH ZERO SUBSTANCE IN WHICH YOU DO NOTHING COOL AND SPEND THE ENTIRE THING TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH PIKACHU THROUGH A SHITTY MICROPHONE??
NOT THAT LITERALLY!!!
I mean it looks like a gimick deal.

And pokemons never been much on investigation, especially with talking pikachus.
I could be wrong, but I'm just not excited for that one...

OK but... Anyone play ACNL here? It's also another popular 3DS game that 14% of the 3DS owners have ...

I'd really like to try the cloning glitch in that, please.

Or help with Pokemon X/Y. Whatever.